PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs NFL’s new wunderkind: Patrick Mahomes

Hoover
10-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Belichick impressed with Mahomes: "Pretty much everything. He gets the ball to all of his receivers quick, quick release, sees things quickly, can extend plays, got a great arm, got a fabulous arm, can throw the ball out of the stadium. He makes good decisions, accurate, gets the ball out on time,” Belichick explained on his Monday morning conference call.

BOSTON (CBS) — The New England Patriots will have their hands full with the 5-0 Chiefs this weekend, and it starts with Kansas City’s young and talented quarterback.

Patrick Mahomes is the talk of the NFL, leading the league with 16 touchdown passes in the first five games of his career. And that’s with a touchdown-less afternoon against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, who picked Mahomes off twice — the first interceptions of the 23-year-old’s career. It didn’t matter though, as Kansas City cruised to a 30-14 victory. Mahomes threw for 313 yards to up his season total to 1,513, and ran for a touchdown in the KC victory.

So even when Mahomes isn’t firing on all cylinders, the Chiefs offense seems to find the end zone. He may have returned to earth a bit on Sunday, but one can only imagine what the second-year quarterback will be able to do to the Patriots’ occasionally porous defense come Sunday night at Gillette Stadium.

Luckily, head coach Bill Belichick and his staff got a few extra days to prepare for the NFL’s new wunderkind. While Patriots players had the weekend off following their Thursday Night Football win over the Indianapolis Colts, Belichick wasn’t taking any days off and was hard at work scouting their next opponent.

Asked what impresses him about Mahomes, Belichick said it’s not just one aspect of his game.

“Pretty much everything. He gets the ball to all of his receivers quick, quick release, sees things quickly, can extend plays, got a great arm, got a fabulous arm, can throw the ball out of the stadium. He makes good decisions, accurate, gets the ball out on time,” Belichick explained on his Monday morning conference call.

It appears as though Mahomes’ cannon of an arm is what has caught most of Belichick’s attention — much like the rest of the football world.

“No matter where it goes, it gets there pretty quickly. The further the quarterback can throw it then the more you’ve got to defend. If the ball is on their 20-yard line you’ve still got to defend to the goal line against him,” he said. “He can rip it.”

The Patriots have been among the better teams this season in limiting big plays, with just 14 of the 205 pass plays they’ve faced going for 20 yards or more yards (eight-best in the NFL). The Chiefs offense has 25 such plays, ranking second in the league behind the Rams’ 28 passing plays of 20 or more yards.

With Mahomes’ rocket launcher of an arm coming to Gillette Stadium, the New England secondary will be on their heels for much of the evening on Sunday.

WBZ-TV will have Sunday night’s Patriots-Chiefs clash covered, starting at 11:30 a.m. Sunday morning with Patriots GameDay! After the game be sure to switch to WBZ-TV for full reaction and analysis, plus Bill Belichick and Tom Brady’s press conferences LIVE, on Patriots 5th Quarter!

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/10/08/patrick-mahomes-bill-belichick-patriots-chiefs-week-6-nfl/

Hammock Parties
10-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Belichick gave up 400 yards and 4 TDs to Bortles.

The rape train is coming to chowdertown.

T-post Tom
10-08-2018, 12:23 PM
Think the Chiefs were getting a lot of pub prior to this game? Hold on to your seats, every tiny bit of minutia will be analyzed & written about leading up to Sunday night. The Boston deluge is about to begin. The endless monologues about Brady v. Mahomes ... the monotonous debates about who's the better QB ("right now", "career"...age...youth..."Hall of Fame"...blah ...blah... blah). Prepare for more of "The Patriots have been among the better teams this season in limiting big plays, with just 14 of the 205 pass plays they’ve faced going for 20 yards or more yards (eight-best in the NFL)." Wish it were Sunday. Looking forward to Andy bigger-dicks Bill, Redux.

mr. tegu
10-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Perhaps the most telling thing about how good Mahomes is, is that opposing coaches and players do not hesitate to give him very high praise. The coaches do it before the game since they are in the process of watching film, and the players talk about it after the game after witnessing first hand just a different level of talent that they simply can’t defend.

CervezaChill
10-08-2018, 12:26 PM
the monotonous debates about who's the better QB ("right now", "career"...age...youth..."Hall of Fame"...blah ...blah... blah).

The answer to all of these is Mahomes.

T-post Tom
10-08-2018, 12:28 PM
The answer to all of these is Mahomes.

The number of people that will disagree with you willh grow exponentially in the next 6 days. Pat fan infestation in 3.2.1....

DJ's left nut
10-08-2018, 12:31 PM
That's the second time I've heard someone refer to Mahomes in the 'how much field we have to defend' fashion. And I'll be damned if it isn't brilliant and absolutely right.

With Mahomes under center, a touchback has the potential to yield a throw all the way to the opposing goalline. And the simple square footage you as a defense now have to account for is just ridiculous. I think that's having a huge impact on some of those YAC plays that Watkins and Kelce are able to pull off.

And it isn't just the depth of the throw - lots of guys can put one 60 yards dead straight down the field - it's that he has so much damn arm that if he's in the middle of the field, he can go sideline to sideline 70 yards downfield as well. You don't have to just worry about a 60 yard bomb between the hashes; you have to worry about both sidelines as well. Try to deal with that as a single-high. It's literally physically impossible for one dude to deal with that. And when the Chiefs mix in as many aggressive vertical concepts as they do, that single high has to constantly worry about that. Or they have to go with a Cover 2 look and pull a guy out of the box.

His ability to challenge otherwise unheard of parts of the field early in drives plays a big role in how often the Chiefs are able to get drives going from deep in their own territory. You just don't think of the number of ways that arm can impact a game until you see it in action.

The "arm strength isn't important" crowd has been brutally murdered by the freak of nature that is Patrick Mahomes.

MahomesMagic
10-08-2018, 12:33 PM
New England's defense will not be able to handle the speed of the Chiefs in coverage. When you add in they can't rush the passer...

The only prayer for NE is to dominate on offense. We need as many guys as we can healthy to slow down Brady and their offense. I expect a heavy dose of Michel.

O.city
10-08-2018, 12:33 PM
That's the second time I've heard someone refer to Mahomes in the 'how much field we have to defend' fashion. And I'll be damned if it isn't brilliant and absolutely right.

With Mahomes under center, a touchback has the potential to yield a throw all the way to the opposing goalline. And the simple square footage you as a defense now have to account for is just ridiculous. I think that's having a huge impact on some of those YAC plays that Watkins and Kelce are able to pull off.

And it isn't just the depth of the throw - lots of guys can put one 60 yards dead straight down the field - it's that he has so much damn arm that if he's in the middle of the field, he can go sideline to sideline 70 yards downfield as well. You don't have to just worry about a 60 yard bomb between the hashes; you have to worry about both sidelines as well. Try to deal with that as a single-high. It's literally physically impossible for one dude to deal with that. And when the Chiefs mix in as many aggressive vertical concepts as they do, that single high has to constantly worry about that. Or they have to go with a Cover 2 look and pull a guy out of the box.

His ability to challenge otherwise unheard of parts of the field early in drives plays a big role in how often the Chiefs are able to get drives going from deep in their own territory. You just don't think of the number of ways that arm can impact a game until you see it in action.

The "arm strength isn't important" crowd has been brutally murdered by the freak of nature that is Patrick Mahomes.

We talked about it in another thread, but they haven't even really gotten the deep balls working yet. It's got some potential to get really scary if things really get rolling.

Hammock Parties
10-08-2018, 12:37 PM
And the simple square footage you as a defense now have to account for is just ridiculous. I think that's having a huge impact on some of those YAC plays that Watkins and Kelce are able to pull off.

The HB screen passes are really opening up now, too.

I love me some HB screens. It's almost like the Vermeil era out there again.

In fact, with the way defenses have to defend us now, I'd bet at least once a game, instead of frittering away another few seconds off the play clock, Andy just says to himself "fuck it, call a screen."

I remember when a simple screen pass was a constant source of misery for this team. No more.

T-post Tom
10-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Still having visions of Earl Thomas in a Chiefs uni. Picking Brady & knocking Julian Edelman's dick in the dirt. Damn it Carl! :cuss:

Back to reality: If the offense can carry forth, we will win the track meet. Although, it would be nice if the defense made NE punt at least once.

DJ's left nut
10-08-2018, 12:46 PM
New England's defense will not be able to handle the speed of the Chiefs in coverage. When you add in they can't rush the passer...

The only prayer for NE is to dominate on offense. We need as many guys as we can healthy to slow down Brady and their offense. I expect a heavy dose of Michel.

The Patriots will look to frustrate him.

They'll take away the deep routes, drop a lot of guys into zones and rely on his youth making him impatient.

The Jags had something like 37 offensive snaps in the 4th quarter on Sunday. The Chiefs were content giving them about 4.5 yards a pop, making them take their time and looking for big plays to stop a drive. To only get 7 points (and end without the ball in your hands) despite 37 offensive snaps in that 4th quarter is just ridiculous. It's exactly how the Patriots will attempt to deal with Mahomes, IMO.

I have no idea if it will work - kid's smart. But with an iffy secondary and a pretty weak pass rush, I think that's what they'll do.

DJ's left nut
10-08-2018, 12:48 PM

In fact, with the way defenses have to defend us now, I'd bet at least once a game, instead of frittering away another few seconds off the play clock, Andy just says to himself "fuck it, call a screen."

I remember when a simple screen pass was a constant source of misery for this team. No more.

That screen on the 1st drive was just beautiful. I think it was a 3rd down play, right? Guy right in his face and he just floats that sucker right up there for Hunt to run under it with 2 fatties in front of him.

Yeah, that was right out of the Vermiel/Holmes era. And frankly, I'm not sure why we didn't see more of those against Denver when those pass-rushers were coming as hard as they were. I'd be elated to see those incorporated a little more often into the playbook. The RB screens during the Vermeil/Saunders era were just art. Seeing guys like Waters, Roaf and Shields out in space looking for someone to kill was damn near as exciting as seeing Hill running under a rainbow...

O.city
10-08-2018, 12:53 PM
The fake reverse screen to Priest with those guys out in front was always fun.

Andy just gets teams heads spinning. He had one set up to Harris that I'm pretty sure would have just went for an easy 15 if Pat gets the throw down a touch.

Marcellus
10-08-2018, 12:54 PM
That screen was to Ware I think but yea if defense starts trying to defend that and it slows their pass rush, holy cow.

Another thing with Mahomes, his arm strength allows him to drop further in the pocket than most QB's, notice how deep he gets especially when its a called deep pass play. He hauls ass and gets deep in his drop after the snap. His cannon arm allows for that to be a non issue.

O.city
10-08-2018, 12:56 PM
He's been sacked 6 times this year.

That's pretty crazy to me.

T-post Tom
10-08-2018, 12:59 PM
The Patriots will look to frustrate him.

They'll take away the deep routes, drop a lot of guys into zones and rely on his youth making him impatient. The Jags had something like 37 offensive snaps in the 4th quarter on Sunday. The Chiefs were content giving them about 4.5 yards a pop, making them take their time and looking for big plays to stop a drive. To only get 7 points (and end without the ball in your hands) despite 37 offensive snaps in that 4th quarter is just ridiculous. It's exactly how the Patriots will attempt to deal with Mahomes, IMO. I have no idea if it will work - kid's smart. But with an iffy secondary and a pretty weak pass rush, I think that's what they'll do.

Pretty sure a couple of plays from yesterday would have scored on the Pats defense. That 40+ yd scamper from Hill that was called back on a penalty (1st offensive play of the game.) would have been a TD vs. NE (w/o the penalty). Jags defensive speed is so much better than the Pats. Hoping Andy has a few new tricks for early on in the game. Put them on their heels early, then step on their throats. 6-0 sounds really good to me.

O.city
10-08-2018, 01:00 PM
The Pats d isn't good. I mean, it's just not.

We should put up a performance similar to the Steeler game really.

DJ's left nut
10-08-2018, 01:02 PM
He's been sacked 6 times this year.

That's pretty crazy to me.

I never have a problem finding this post from way back in 2009 because I've never had any other good reason to refer to Dave Kreig 'round these parts...

People constantly ignore how much better a QB can make a line look.

Manning makes his offensive line. Brady helped his out immeasurably.

One of my favorite statistics ever is the 1993 KC Chiefs:

Joe Montana -- 298 passes attempted; 12 sacks. 1 sack per 24.83 attempts
Dave Krieg -- 189 passes attempted; 22(!) sacks. 1 sack per 8.59 attemps

Was our line 3 times better when blocking for Joe Montana? Of course not, but Joe Montana made his line better by knowing where to be in the pocket, when to step up and when to throw. He knew how to play the position much better than Krieg.

This element of his game is very possibly the most understated part of it. He throws on time and when he doesn't, he feels the rush well enough to know where to go, how much time he has and where his guys will be.

The guy is a gift from the football gods. He does EVERYTHING right...

htismaqe
10-08-2018, 01:03 PM
I never have a problem finding this post from way back in 2009 because I've never had any other good reason to refer to Dave Kreig 'round these parts...

This element of his game is very possibly the most understated part of it. He throws on time and when he doesn't, he feels the rush well enough to know where to go, how much time he has and where his guys will be.

:clap:

O.city
10-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Pretty much so yes.

I can see a few things he needs to tighten up on when facing legit D's, but that's part of it.

Sometimes, just take the easy throw and live to play another down.

DJ's left nut
10-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Pretty sure a couple of plays from yesterday would have scored on the Pats defense. That 40+ yd scamper from Hill that was called back on a penalty (1st offensive play of the game.) would have been a TD vs. NE (w/o the penalty). Jags defensive speed is so much better than the Pats. Hoping Andy has a few new tricks for early on in the game. Put them on their heels early, then step on their throats. 6-0 sounds really good to me.

The number of plays Myles Jack blew up by a shoelace was truly incredible. It wasn't like he was destroying plays just as they started every down (though he did that a few times as well). But there were several plays that were literally one stride away for going off for 20-30 yards and he got there just in time to finish off the ballcarrier or slow him up and allow his teammates to rally to the football.

The Jags team defense is outstanding but I was blown away by how often Jack made those plays possible. He went about it so quietly yesterday but I thought he was easily the best defender on the field for Jax.

Luke Atamadong
10-08-2018, 01:05 PM

In fact, with the way defenses have to defend us now, I'd bet at least once a game, instead of frittering away another few seconds off the play clock, Andy just says to himself "**** it, call a screen."

I was screaming for the HB screen in the Denver game. Ask my wife...

FAX
10-08-2018, 01:06 PM
I was screaming for the HB screen in the Denver game. Ask my wife...

That's odd ...

I can't find the HB Screen anywhere in the New Edition Karma Sutra.

FAX

O.city
10-08-2018, 01:07 PM
The number of plays Myles Jack blew up by a shoelace was truly incredible. It wasn't like he was destroying plays just as they started every down (though he did that a few times as well). But there were several plays that were literally one stride away for going off for 20-30 yards and he got there just in time to finish off the ballcarrier or slow him up and allow his teammates to rally to the football.

The Jags team defense is outstanding but I was blown away by how often Jack made those plays possible. He went about it so quietly yesterday but I thought he was easily the best defender on the field for Jax.

They just have guys everywhere. Like legit dudes.

I don't think they can keep it together another year with the money being what it is and I'm pretty sad they're gonna waste it on Bortles.

Seriously, how stupid were they to think Blake Bortles was the thing to keep?

DJ's left nut
10-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Sometimes, just take the easy throw and live to play another down.

I mean look, it's real real easy for me to say that because for decades that's...well that's just what you said. And for 95% of the players in the league, that's probably still what you say.

If Andy sets out to 'teach' that 2nd interception out of him and in so doing he stops making throws like the flick against his body to Kelce against Denver, we're absolutely worse for it.

I don't think you can get rid of the former without eliminating the latter. Or at diminishing that. The 'easy throw' on his fade route to Kelce was a very easy little 12 yard flick to Ware. He didn't take it. The easy throw on the TD to Conley against SF was out of the back of the end zone. He had an easy 5 yards on the throw to DAT that Derwin James made an unbelievable play on to break up against SD - I'll trade the fear of God that throw puts in guys (even when incomplete) over the 7 tards that he'd have made throwing it to Sherman.

No...I think he's allowed to play with his hair on fire. And truth be told, I blamed Andy for that play call more than Mahomes for trying to force it. And maybe with simple experience he learns just a little more caution and that throw doesn't happen (while the aggressive throws still do), but I don't think that's something that can be taught. It's just a feel thing and with as advanced as his already is, you have to wonder if any improvements there are likely to be marginal and the occasional 'd'oh!' will just be a natural consequence of his style.

DRM08
10-08-2018, 01:12 PM
They just have guys everywhere. Like legit dudes.

I don't think they can keep it together another year with the money being what it is and I'm pretty sad they're gonna waste it on Bortles.

Seriously, how stupid were they to think Blake Bortles was the thing to keep?

They should have drafted Mahomes instead of Fournette. Never understand teams drafting RB’s in the Top 10, especially the Top 5.

T-post Tom
10-08-2018, 01:13 PM
That's odd ...

FAX

Thinking the same. Otherwise, I'm sure it would have been his wife screaming, right? Maybe check the King James version? :)

O.city
10-08-2018, 01:15 PM
I mean look, it's real real easy for me to say that because for decades that's...well that's just what you said. And for 95% of the players in the league, that's probably still what you say.

If Andy sets out to 'teach' that 2nd interception out of him and in so doing he stops making throws like the flick against his body to Kelce against Denver, we're absolutely worse for it.

I don't think you can get rid of the former without eliminating the latter. Or at diminishing that. The 'easy throw' on his fade route to Kelce was a very easy little 12 yard flick to Ware. He didn't take it. The easy throw on the TD to Conley against SF was out of the back of the end zone. He had an easy 5 yards on the throw to DAT that Derwin James made an unbelievable play on to break up against SD - I'll trade the fear of God that throw puts in guys (even when incomplete) over the 7 tards that he'd have made throwing it to Sherman.

No...I think he's allowed to play with his hair on fire. And truth be told, I blamed Andy for that play call more than Mahomes for trying to force it. And maybe with simple experience he learns just a little more caution and that throw doesn't happen (while the aggressive throws still do), but I don't think that's something that can be taught. It's just a feel thing and with as advanced as his already is, you have to wonder if any improvements there are likely to be marginal and the occasional 'd'oh!' will just be a natural consequence of his style.

I mean, maybe. I don't think you coach it out of him, but situationally is where it needs to come in to play.

Those other situations, make those throws.

When it's 30-7 in the fourth quarter and you have the ball driving, punting isn't terrible. Granted, it didn't end up mattering though.

Perhaps it's just the way he's gonna play and we're asking for perfection. That's not likely.

Buehler445
10-08-2018, 01:15 PM

Arm strength is one thing.

Arm Strength, Accuracy, vision, confidence are another thing all together.

RaidersOftheCellar
10-08-2018, 01:17 PM
I want to see 70,000 Patriots fans sob uncontrollably after Pat connects on another 70-yd bomb to Tyreek.

chiefzilla1501
10-08-2018, 01:19 PM

Totally agree. Yesterday was one of the few times I saw mahomes make mistakes I thought were flat out careless. I am fine with the trick shot stuff as long as it's not totally reckless. Reid has done a masterful job of keeping the careless down while still letting mahomes freelance a bit.

I still think Denver was an interesting example. Mahomes ran a more conventional offense in the first half. Second half he freelanced a ton. I think Reid knows freelance mahomes can destroy worlds. But hes really forcing mahomes to run an offense first which I love, and mahomes (good student that he is) has not complained about it. And boy, once mahomes learns the hell out of running a traditional offense and adds in more freelancing naturally, he's going to keep getting better. But early on there will be some dancing around how much to restrict him and how much to let him just air it out.

Luke Atamadong
10-08-2018, 01:21 PM
That's odd ...

FAX

Neither could Andy that night.

RunKC
10-08-2018, 01:22 PM
That screen was to Ware I think but yea if defense starts trying to defend that and it slows their pass rush, holy cow.

Another thing with Mahomes, his arm strength allows him to drop further in the pocket than most QB's, notice how deep he gets especially when its a called deep pass play. He hauls ass and gets deep in his drop after the snap. His cannon arm allows for that to be a non issue.

I think a ton of credit has to go to the OL too. They have given him time to scan the field against elite caliber rushers.

And for the first time they are really tough grinding the ball in the run game.

DJ's left nut
10-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Totally agree. Yesterday was one of the few times I saw mahomes make mistakes I thought were flat out careless. I am fine with the trick shot stuff as long as it's not totally reckless. Reid has done a masterful job of keeping the careless down while still letting mahomes freelance a bit.

I still think Denver was an interesting example. Mahomes ran a more conventional offense in the first half. Second half he freelanced a ton. I think Reid knows freelance mahomes can destroy worlds. But hes really forcing mahomes to run an offense first which I love, and mahomes (good student that he is) has not complained about it. And boy, once mahomes learns the hell out of running a traditional offense and adds in more freelancing naturally, he's going to keep getting better. But early on there will be some dancing around how much to restrict him and how much to let him just air it out.

The funny thing about that 2nd interception on 3rd and 2 - I honestly think Andy called a TO on the play before because Mahomes killed out of the play call. He went to the line, saw the defense and starts killing into a different play - Andy immediately called the timeout to stop those shenanigans.

It felt to me like Andy maybe thought the kid was getting a little too big for his britches and wanted to give him a second to maybe take a breath and think it all through. It meant precisely dick (and again, I think that playcall was awful), but it was still pretty damn funny in real time.

chiefzilla1501
10-08-2018, 01:28 PM
The funny thing about that 2nd interception on 3rd and 2 - I honestly think Andy called a TO on the play before because Mahomes killed out of the play call. He went to the line, saw the defense and starts killing into a different play - Andy immediately called the timeout to stop those shenanigans.

It felt to me like Andy maybe thought the kid was getting a little too big for his britches and wanted to give him a second to maybe take a breath and think it all through. It meant precisely dick (and again, I think that playcall was awful), but it was still pretty damn funny in real time.

One of many reasons Reid is the perfect coach for mahomes.

BigRedChief
10-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Bellicheck spends all his time during the week before games praising the skill and toughness of his opponent. We all know it’s BS.

chiefforlife
10-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Bellicheck spends all his time during the week before games praising the skill and toughness of his opponent. We all know it’s BS.

Exactly, then he comes out and crushes teams.

Easy 6
10-08-2018, 04:51 PM
I just wanna be the first to say Patrick Mahomes is ****ing great

You heard it from me first

Imon Yourside
10-08-2018, 04:55 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO! I said it about 20 years ago when he was just a wee little one. :)

suzzer99
10-08-2018, 05:02 PM
I said it on his birthday when Hasty returned an INT 60 yards in OT to beat the Raiders. A Star rises in the Midwest (or South or whatever Texas wants to be).

Easy 6
10-08-2018, 05:16 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO! I said it about 20 years ago when he was just a wee little one. :)

I said it on his birthday when Hasty returned an INT 60 yards in OT to beat the Raiders. A Star rises in the Midwest (or South or whatever Texas wants to be).

In an amazing and long ago foretold coincidence, I did the exact same thing

We're kinda like the Three Wise Men of Chiefs football