PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft You wanna talk about bad drafts?

suzzer99
10-09-2018, 10:54 PM
I've seen some griping on here lately about our recent drafts. I decided to walk down memory lane and holy mother of god did we have some bad ones about the turn of the millennium.

See how many players you can name in each year before looking.

1998:
https://i.imgur.com/T7VxVcs.png

1999:
https://i.imgur.com/RfFabIU.png

2000:
https://i.imgur.com/KEmlYAb.png

2001:
https://i.imgur.com/PLxbCjH.png

2002:
https://i.imgur.com/yjmZKJQ.png

Holy hell - 5 years of drafts = a few starers and one marquee player - a special teamer who didn't do much, then had a few great years, then left.

After that at least we started picking up one pro-bowl caliber player per draft and more starters.

Gadzooks
10-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Frank Moreau was pretty good, I guess.

carcosa
10-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Is the "marquee player" William Bartee

Simply Red
10-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Is the "marquee player" William Bartee

Omar Easy!

Eleazar
10-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Terdell!

carcosa
10-09-2018, 11:29 PM
Omar Easy!

OMAR EGGS OVER EASY is how Chris Berman would have called his highlights if he had any highlights

Simply Red
10-09-2018, 11:31 PM
OMAR EGGS OVER EASY is how Chris Berman would have called his highlights if he had any highlights

YES!

Simply Red
10-09-2018, 11:32 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9NldTHxNKGg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JakeF
10-09-2018, 11:35 PM
Greg Wesley and Dante Hall were decent

kysirsoze
10-09-2018, 11:37 PM
Best production as a Chief:

Dante Hall
John Tait
Eric Warfield?
Sylvester Morris??

There are a few special teamer, depth guys, but fuck that is a shit run of drafts.

Gadzooks
10-09-2018, 11:37 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9NldTHxNKGg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I still think Frankie Moreau was a better pick.:harumph:

carcosa
10-09-2018, 11:41 PM

Very sweet! And I hope Jordan got a good grade, even though the camera was focused on the background for most of the interview

carcosa
10-09-2018, 11:43 PM
Very sweet! And I hope Jordan got a good grade, even though the camera was focused on the background for most of the interview

Wow! Looks like Jordan worked his way up to jobs at the MLB Network and now ESPN! Very proud of him

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jordan-d-king-b5b92388

RealSNR
10-09-2018, 11:44 PM
Sylvester Morris could have been good had he not been fucked by injury. That was still the era when getting a ligament tear meant there was a sizable chance your career was over

Simply Red
10-09-2018, 11:48 PM

I was glad to know that of Omar - he seems very decent. I am fonder now of him, after watching that. He had like two good carries for the Chiefs - so it's nice to see he's found his calling.

Gadzooks
10-09-2018, 11:49 PM
Sylvester Morris could have been good had he not been fucked by injury. That was still the era when getting a ligament tear meant there was a sizable chance your career was over

He never would have been as good as Terrance Copper regardless of the injury, yet Copper was a UDFA.

CoMoChief
10-09-2018, 11:51 PM
It was literally as if DV didn't give a shit about the draft.

Yeah he hit a HR w/ DJ. But DJ was crap his rookie yr, and didn't really begin to bloom until the Haley era. Even though he drafted him, DV had virtually nothing to do w/ DJ's success in the league.

He hit a HR on Colquitt. But let's be honest. He's a punter, and DV drafted him in the 3rd rd. It worked out, but can you imagine if KC drafted a punter in the 3rd rd the yr after Colquitt retired? This place would meltdown. Point is, when your best draft choice was a punter, that's all you really need to say about him and his scouts ability to draft.

Jared Allen was drafted as a long snapper was he not? He was a 4th rd pick IIRC.

DV left the cupboard so fucking bare, it took the Chiefs 7 yrs and 4 HC's, a grass roots fan protest from CP, and a murder/suicide to get things back on track.

scho63
10-10-2018, 12:04 AM
01 and 02 were horrific back to back drafts.

99 and 00 were actual decent in that we had guys who played well for us and some much better than average.

You need to go back a little further to see some of the garbage we drafted who never lasted past camp.

Brooklyn
10-10-2018, 04:11 AM
You can tell when people started rooting for the Chiefs if they ignore Gary stills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiefs4TheWin
10-10-2018, 04:40 AM
Seeing William Bartees name makes me sad.

MotherfuckerJones
10-10-2018, 04:55 AM
Loved Sylvester Morris. If only he didn’t blow out his knee. Also really liked Greg Wesley.

Deberg_1990
10-10-2018, 05:07 AM
Bartee was a starter for awhile at least....

COchief
10-10-2018, 06:26 AM

He could have had a real future, if all his neck vertebrae weren't fused together.

Prison Bitch
10-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Scott "chicken" fujita

Carl Peterless loved that doosh

TLO
10-10-2018, 07:09 AM
Sylvester Morris could have been good had he not been ****ed by injury. That was still the era when getting a ligament tear meant there was a sizable chance your career was over

One of my very earliest Chiefs memories was him catching a TD pass against Oakland. I think?

Or maybe I'm not remembering right, idk.

RippedmyFlesh
10-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Scott "chicken" fujita

He was actually serviceable after he left here.

scho63
10-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Scott "chicken" fujita

He did well in NO

carcosa
10-10-2018, 09:21 AM
One of my very earliest Chiefs memories was him catching a TD pass against Oakland. I think?

Or maybe I'm not remembering right, idk.

I think Snoop Minnis laid out for a spectacular TD catch against Oakland

carcosa
10-10-2018, 09:21 AM
You can tell when people started rooting for the Chiefs if they ignore Gary stills.

The king of Special Teams!!!!

CrazyPhuD
10-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Obligatory ‘Damnit Carl’ :cuss:

L.A. Chieffan
10-10-2018, 09:48 AM
I hope Dr. Omar Easy runs over Ryan Sims with a Double Decker Bus

Dayze
10-10-2018, 09:53 AM
ahh...the days of seemingly taking a fatty with every 1st round pick.

TLO
10-10-2018, 10:18 AM
I think Snoop Minnis laid out for a spectacular TD catch against Oakland

I was at that game.. First Chiefs game I ever attended. I thought it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

Then that fat **** Janakowski kicked a game winning FG like 3 minutes later.

That following Tuesday, 9/11 happened.

Thanks Janakowski!

Jamie
10-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Jared Allen was drafted as a long snapper was he not? He was a 4th rd pick IIRC.

I've never bought that. A front office would have to be psychotic to draft a long snapper in the 4th round. Plus we still had Kendall Gammon. I think at worst they thought they could save a roster spot by making him the LS while he developed at DE.

I think where the idea came from is some sources had him as a UDFA DE prospect, but thought he could get drafted as a long snapper. I think they might have even said that on ESPN when he got drafted. Anyway, the :cuss: train went from there.

Dayze
10-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

special teams beast.

any Dante return always seemed to have Gary out there leading the way.

Deberg_1990
10-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Why stop at 2002? Who could forget such stalwarts as Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii, Julian Battle, Kawika Mitchell and Kris Wilson

Shoes
10-10-2018, 11:15 AM
The truth is that the Chiefs have been one of the best drafting franchises in recent history- finding talent especially later the in the draft. We got exceptionally unlucky when we were drafting 1st overall, but at least made the right decision between Fisher and Joeckel. Not to mention when we finally took a quarterback in the first round, we took Mahomes- who arguably is the most valuable player on any franchise right now.

People who complain about the Chiefs drafting have unrealistic expectations.

Frazod
10-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Why stop at 2002? Who could forget such stalwarts as Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii, Julian Battle, Kawika Mitchell and Kris Wilson

Let's not forget Samie Parker.

He used to have two m's, but he dropped one.

ChiefsCountry
10-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Those piss poor drafts are why the team fell apart when Herm took over. Lack of talent and aging players lead to the decline more than Herm's coaching, which didn't help.

Rasputin
10-10-2018, 12:27 PM
I wish we kept Derrick Blaylock for special teams he was great at springing Dante Hall on kickoff returns lead blocking.

Also Scott F U J I T T A went on and won a SB with the Saints.

bobbything
10-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Tait, Wesley, Hall, Warfield were all solid. This just shows that we were atrocious in rounds 1, 2, and 3. Pretty pathetic overall.

bobbything
10-10-2018, 12:30 PM

Bigfoot!!!

TLO
10-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Tyson Jackson

InChiefsHeaven
10-10-2018, 12:35 PM
I was glad to know that of Omar - he seems very decent. I am fonder now of him, after watching that. He had like two good carries for the Chiefs - so it's nice to see he's found his calling.

Heh. He was my adopt a Chief in 2003.

CoMoChief
10-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Tait, Wesley, Hall, Warfield were all solid. This just shows that we were atrocious in rounds 1, 2, and 3. Pretty pathetic overall.

Warfield was trash 95% of the time, he had 1 respectable season.

He was just on a D that literally had zero talent anywhere. So even sub-par players looked decent.

Don't forget the FA acquisitions on D during those years.

Pat Surtain - although he wasn't bad and the signing made sense at the time, in efforts to try to give DV one more shot at a SB run after a horrible flattening 2004 season, but this signing was a couple yrs too late, and he costed a ton + a 2nd rd pick, which is another example as to why the DV left the cupboard so bare. Draft picks were currency to buy veteran players that he could win w/ right away.

Dexter McCleon - One of the worst CB's to ever play professional football. Bill Bartee was another in that group, and lucky for KC...they played on the same team during the same time! Thank god for the agressive KC DL of Sims Browning and Hicks. Oh wait...

Kendrell Bell - Most people outside of Chiefs boards probably don't even remember him playing for KC, that's how invisible he was.

Sammy Knight - Another signing that was a few yrs too late. He was a good field general, but was slower than dogshit.

Vonnie Holliday - Remember that 1st game he had vs the Chargers? I do. I remember watching that game in my dorm room and watching him get 3 sacks. I was thinking maybe KC D would finally be able to show up. Nope. Disappeared for the rest of the time he was in KC.

Shawn Barber - The guy had a good season in Philly. Then had a good 1st season w/ KC, then fell off the face of the earth. Hey he was good in Madden during that time.

Bump
10-10-2018, 05:00 PM
memories being brought back when King Carl gave Warfield a big contract.

JakeF
10-10-2018, 05:12 PM
Bartee was a starter for awhile at least....That doesn't mean he should have been one.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-10-2018, 05:40 PM
Best production as a Chief:

Dante Hall
John Tait
Eric Warfield?
Sylvester Morris??

There are a few special teamer, depth guys, but fuck that is a shit run of drafts.

Yeah that would be, "King Carl: the should have hit the road with Marty"-era of fucktastic drafting.

Not to mention Goonther followed by a head coach who left little to no up and coming talent in the house.

Jesus Christ that era sucked.

jimidollar
10-10-2018, 05:47 PM
We had to live through the shit to be able to appreciate the glory of today. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Otter
10-10-2018, 05:50 PM
Bartee in the 2nd. Wow!

John Tait had a pretty good career.

rabblerouser
10-10-2018, 05:52 PM

ROFL

Me, you, and every swinging dick posting in this thread have as many career INTs as William Bartee.

Deberg_1990
10-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Warfield was trash 95% of the time, he had 1 respectable season.

He was just on a D that literally had zero talent anywhere. So even sub-par players looked decent.

Don't forget the FA acquisitions on D during those years.

Pat Surtain - although he wasn't bad and the signing made sense at the time, in efforts to try to give DV one more shot at a SB run after a horrible flattening 2004 season, but this signing was a couple yrs too late, and he costed a ton + a 2nd rd pick, which is another example as to why the DV left the cupboard so bare. Draft picks were currency to buy veteran players that he could win w/ right away.

Dexter McCleon - One of the worst CB's to ever play professional football. Bill Bartee was another in that group, and lucky for KC...they played on the same team during the same time! Thank god for the agressive KC DL of Sims Browning and Hicks. Oh wait...

Kendrell Bell - Most people outside of Chiefs boards probably don't even remember him playing for KC, that's how invisible he was.

Sammy Knight - Another signing that was a few yrs too late. He was a good field general, but was slower than dogshit.

Vonnie Holliday - Remember that 1st game he had vs the Chargers? I do. I remember watching that game in my dorm room and watching him get 3 sacks. I was thinking maybe KC D would finally be able to show up. Nope. Disappeared for the rest of the time he was in KC.

Shawn Barber - The guy had a good season in Philly. Then had a good 1st season w/ KC, then fell off the face of the earth. Hey he was good in Madden during that time.

But Ty Law though......

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-10-2018, 06:06 PM
DV left the cupboard so fucking bare, it took the Chiefs 7 yrs and 4 HC's, a grass roots fan protest from CP, and a murder/suicide to get things back on track.

And we ain't EVEN fucking back yet.

suzzer99
10-13-2018, 01:18 AM
Is Chris Jones our best 2nd round draft pick?

smithandrew051
10-13-2018, 07:10 AM
I think Gary Stills had the record for Chiefs special teams tackles. That’s a pretty good midround pick.

mcaj22
10-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Fujita had a pretty good career on paper. 700+ combined tackles.

kc rush
10-13-2018, 08:09 AM
The company I worked for in the late 90's did some promotional work with Krispy Kreme when they first moved to KC. We were at a meeting and the owner of the local stores mentioned that Victor Riley came in once and stacked a dozen of their raised donuts, smashed them down into one and ate the entire dozen as a single donut.

TLO
10-13-2018, 08:37 AM
Darnell Alford was my supervisor for about a year and a half.
He's the kind of guy I'd want on my side in a fight.

BossChief
10-13-2018, 08:40 AM

Flowers

kysirsoze
10-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Fujita had a pretty good career on paper. 700+ combined tackles.

Not for the Chiefs he didn't.

Rain Man
10-13-2018, 11:27 AM

Flowers

Chiefsplanet says it's Willie Lanier.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308514&highlight=Wilbur

WhiteWhale
10-13-2018, 01:13 PM
And we ain't EVEN ****ing back yet.

It's a wrong headed take honestly.

The cupboard was bare because the GM (and head coach, but we all know Carl had final say on draft picks, he made that crystal clear) kept drafting shitty players or players who couldn't get on the field because a better player was in front of them.

Nobody cares if we trade a few draft picks if KC didn't miss on nearly every pick. KC had 38 draft picks from 2001 to 2005.

How many starters or even role players did they draft in those 38 picks, 12 of which were in the top 3 rounds? Maybe 6 contributors. Only 4 starters.

In FIVE YEARS they drafted loads of defenders, and the only guys who didn't suck were Derrick Johnson and Jared Allen. Hell, Scott Fujita is a highlight of our defensive drafting during that time.

I don't think the 3-4 draft picks they traded away for vets mattered much since the track record says they would have picked trash anyway. If anything I wish carl and DV had traded away MORE picks. They didn't do much useful with them anyway.

The rebuild didn't have to be so horrible, but we put a 4-12 coach who was going to get fired from NY in charge of it and aligned him with the GM responsible for the problem. DV was a public scapegoat for Herm and Carl to avoid culpability for their own failures.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-14-2018, 09:31 AM
It's a wrong headed take honestly.

The cupboard was bare because the GM (and head coach, but we all know Carl had final say on draft picks, he made that crystal clear) kept drafting shitty players or players who couldn't get on the field because a better player was in front of them.

Nobody cares if we trade a few draft picks if KC didn't miss on nearly every pick. KC had 38 draft picks from 2001 to 2005.

How many starters or even role players did they draft in those 38 picks, 12 of which were in the top 3 rounds? Maybe 6 contributors. Only 4 starters.

In FIVE YEARS they drafted loads of defenders, and the only guys who didn't suck were Derrick Johnson and Jared Allen. Hell, Scott Fujita is a highlight of our defensive drafting during that time.

I don't think the 3-4 draft picks they traded away for vets mattered much since the track record says they would have picked trash anyway. If anything I wish carl and DV had traded away MORE picks. They didn't do much useful with them anyway.

The rebuild didn't have to be so horrible, but we put a 4-12 coach who was going to get fired from NY in charge of it and aligned him with the GM responsible for the problem. DV was a public scapegoat for Herm and Carl to avoid culpability for their own failures.

Carl did NOT belong here after Marty left. At least Marty knew he had failed miserably in KC and that it was time to head out. Carl had no such honor.
He just wanted to keep his job and pretend that he was someone of importance in Kansas City. Typical "big fish/small pond"-asshole.