PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Thoughts about Tesla vehicles?

Eureka
10-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Anybody own a Tesla vehicle? I just started working for Tesla and was wondering if people see them around in their area. I myself living right down the road from the plant see them everywhere.

Would you consider buying an S, 3, or X? I understand their expensive but maybe this company is pushing the all electric vehicle forward.

BWillie
10-11-2018, 08:37 PM
I have a Model S. I love it. I use auto pilot everyday. Smooth ride and alot of fun when you hit the gas - no shifting - it just goes.

I wouldn't get the Model 3 if you are a big dude. They seem to be quite small. The Model S in contrast is such a huge car, it's a tad to big IMO. Barely fits in my garage or parking spaces.

DaFace
10-11-2018, 08:39 PM
They're all over the place in Colorado. Friend of mine has a Model S and loves it. I'd be interested in a Model 3 if they were selling them at $35k without a wait list, but I was impatient and went with a Nissan Leaf instead.

Despite the supercharger network, I think it would be hard to truly be a household with only an electric car, but having one for your daily driver and a gas car for road trips is fantastic.

BWillie
10-11-2018, 08:45 PM
They're all over the place in Colorado. Friend of mine has a Model S and loves it. I'd be interested in a Model 3 if they were selling them at $35k without a wait list, but I was impatient and went with a Nissan Leaf instead.

Despite the supercharger network, I think it would be hard to truly be a household with only an electric car, but having one for your daily driver and a gas car for road trips is fantastic.

You will be lucky to get a Model 3 for $35,000. They claim that is the base - but you pretty much have to add $15,000 - $20,000 of options. You really can't even get one for less than $50,000. And if you are going to shell out that kind of coin - just get the Model S - plus you get free supercharging with an S or X.

I'm still kind of bitter about the Model 3 - I feel it devalues the Model S - or at least people perceive the Model 3 and Model S to be the same - and they are far from it.

It is a bit of a pain if you take long trips often - but I like to take alot of frequent stops to get food, stretch my legs and to buy a drink. Before you know it it's all charged and ready to go. Some people are even getting 500 miles of charge an hour with new models at superchargers.

TribalElder
10-11-2018, 08:49 PM
I've seen quite a few in the KC area

I don't know how you spend that much coin on a electric car

How far do they go on a charge

Simply Red
10-11-2018, 08:51 PM
They're certainly not for me - but if someone likes them - more power to them.

BWillie
10-11-2018, 08:53 PM

You can get up to 315 miles of charge - but it depends how big of a battery you choose to purchase. The nature of electric vehicles is helpful in reducing the cost of ownership. No oil changes, virtually no brake pad changes because of the regenerative braking. If the motor fails - Tesla will get you a new one for no cost. Their service center has been top notch so far in my experience so far.

TribalElder
10-11-2018, 08:56 PM
You can get up to 315 miles of charge - but it depends how big of a battery you choose to purchase. The nature of electric vehicles is helpful in reducing the cost of ownership. No oil changes, virtually no brake pad changes because of the regenerative braking. If the motor fails - Tesla will get you a new one for no cost. Their service center has been top notch so far in my experience so far.

315 is a longer range than I expected. I see once and a while when there is a disaster Telsa releases an update to extend range so there is probably some enhancements that could be made.

Do they charge quick, seems like the charging stations are getting more and more popular

I didn't think about the TCO but that makes sense now that you mention it

DaFace
10-11-2018, 08:56 PM

Somewhere between 225-350 miles, depending on the model and options.

But the thing is, everyone focuses on this, but for 99% of the miles people drive, it really doesn't matter. Our Nissan Leaf gets 150 miles on a charge. You know how many times I've had to charge it anywhere except for home? Zero. My wife has a 20-mile (one-way commute). We plug it in every other day, and that's it. And while it's not a Tesla, the instant torque is still plenty enough to make it more fun to drive than any gas car I've ever owned.

There is a very reasonable argument that you'd be better off just renting a gas car for long road trips and using an e-car for everything else, but even that ignores the fact that you can get just about anywhere in a Tesla as long as you're OK with stopping for a bit every few hours (which most people do anyway, albeit with fewer restrictions.

DaFace
10-11-2018, 08:59 PM
They're certainly not for me - but if someone likes them - more power to them.

https://media.giphy.com/media/u5C6s7LDK7G9y/giphy.gif

FAX
10-11-2018, 09:00 PM
I think their experimental semi truck is pretty cool

FAX

DaFace
10-11-2018, 09:03 PM
For those of you who are in the market to buy a car in 2-4 years, the other thing to consider is that battery technology has been getting a little bit better every year. There's an enormous amount of R&D going on for e-cars in general, and batteries in particular. In a few years, it's not unlikely that we'll have e-cars that can go further than gas cars between charges.

ClevelandBronco
10-11-2018, 09:07 PM
I’m in the market for a couple of cars to replace my wife’s extremely reliable Honda and my equally reliable Toyota. I have little doubt we’ll replace them with a Honda and a Toyota. It’ll take at least another decade of performance data before I’d consider a Tesla.

My next door neighbors have had a Tesla for a few years. They love it.

Randallflagg
10-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Anybody own a Tesla vehicle? I just started working for Tesla and was wondering if people see them around in their area. I myself living right down the road from the plant see them everywhere.

Would you consider buying an S, 3, or X? I understand their expensive but maybe this company is pushing the all electric vehicle forward.

I see them occasionally and they seem to be fine. I do, however, have one question. I get the idea that they claim to be good for the environment (electric and all) but here is the question: WHen the batteries FINALLY give out (and they will) do they go into a land fill?

Not being a smart ass here - just curious.

BWillie
10-11-2018, 09:10 PM
I see them occasionally and they seem to be fine. I do, however, have one question. I get the idea that they claim to be good for the environment (electric and all) but here is the question: WHen the batteries FINALLY give out (and they will) do they go into a land fill?

Less than 10% battery degradation over 160,000 miles.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

DaFace
10-11-2018, 09:10 PM

You can recycle them. But they don't really "go bad" so much as they "lose range." In a lot of cases, they can be used for other purposes for a while too, such as in industrial storage where space is a plentiful and cost is a major concern.

Red Dawg
10-11-2018, 09:11 PM
I had no idea so many rich people were on here. If you have that much money don't you feel like a loser posting on a message board? You should.

DaFace
10-11-2018, 09:18 PM
I had no idea so many rich people were on here. If you have that much money don't you feel like a loser posting on a message board? You should.

I bought a $37k Nissan Leaf. With $7500 in federal incentives and $5000 in Colorado incentives, it's a $20k car.

And yeah, many of the Teslas are pretty pricey. But they're not that much crazier than a lot of other cars you don't think much about (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.).

Buehler445
10-11-2018, 09:26 PM
If I didn't have kids I'd probably have one. Since I do, I have other places for the money and the time to fiddle with it and figure it out.

Buehler445
10-11-2018, 09:28 PM
But how cool is it to work for Tesla?

BWillie
10-11-2018, 09:35 PM
Yeah OP - what is it that you do there?

Frazod
10-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Somewhere between 225-350 miles, depending on the model and options.

But the thing is, everyone focuses on this, but for 99% of the miles people drive, it really doesn't matter. Our Nissan Leaf gets 150 miles on a charge. You know how many times I've had to charge it anywhere except for home? Zero. My wife has a 20-mile (one-way commute). We plug it in every other day, and that's it. And while it's not a Tesla, the instant torque is still plenty enough to make it more fun to drive than any gas car I've ever owned.

There is a very reasonable argument that you'd be better off just renting a gas car for long road trips and using an e-car for everything else, but even that ignores the fact that you can get just about anywhere in a Tesla as long as you're OK with stopping for a bit every few hours (which most people do anyway, albeit with fewer restrictions.

Last week I stopped by to shoot the shit with my mechanic, who was working on a taxi. I didn't really pay any attention to it until he finished, got in and then the damned thing backed out without making a sound. It kind of freaked me out. Pretty sure it was Leaf. He said the cabbies love 'em.

Obviously I have no experience with them, but considering that 99% of my driving now is within it's fuel range, this might be an option for me in the future.

-King-
10-11-2018, 09:40 PM
If I could afford one I would buy one so fucking fast lol. My next car purchase isn't till 2025 at the earliest if I can help it. I'll see what used Teslas are going for then.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobbything
10-11-2018, 09:43 PM
Are Tesla’s at the point where we know how reliable they are? Cost of repairs, etc?

I think they are slick looking vehicles and fun to drive. I considered a base model last year. Decided against it because they’re still so new.

Instetested inseeing how this company progresses.

htismaqe
10-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Yeah OP - what is it that you do there?

Sweeps floors, cleans toilets, you know...

LOL

JK

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Is the drivetrain still only rated to last around 60K miles?

TrebMaxx
10-11-2018, 09:58 PM
I would rather have DJ's left nut's Camaro TBH!

Chief Pagan
10-11-2018, 10:01 PM

Not really. I actually pay some poor sap in India $0.99 / hr to post messages for me.

DaFace
10-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Are Tesla’s at the point where we know how reliable they are? Cost of repairs, etc?

I think they are slick looking vehicles and fun to drive. I considered a base model last year. Decided against it because they’re still so new.

Consumer Reports called the Model S "above average" and the Model 3 "average" in late 2017, though I don't really have a feel for how they had a rating at all for the latter at that point.

DaFace
10-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Is the drivetrain still only rated to last around 60K miles?

Pretty sure that was only on some of the earliest models. They're warranted for 8 years, unlimited miles on the battery and drive units these days.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Waiting for the flying car myself.

Eureka
10-11-2018, 11:00 PM
Sweeps floors, cleans toilets, you know...

LOL

JK

Not far off. Right now they have me training some new security guards since I have experience in that field(long story). If you drive through the main gate you’ll see me. I’ve been working all over the plant and want to eventually end up in sales which is what I applied for. I’ve only been there a month and I kinda like that I’ll know a lot about the build process.

I think they’re great vehicles and the feedback from you guys is great!

cooper barrett
10-12-2018, 12:31 AM
Not far off. Right now they have me training some new security guards since I have experience in that field(long story). If you drive through the main gate you’ll see me. I’ve been working all over the plant and want to eventually end up in sales which is what I applied for. I’ve only been there a month and I kinda like that I’ll know a lot about the build process. The more you know the more you won't tell us the truth.....IJS

Your training Security guards after a month??? You haven't ever memorized the company's core values, HR related policies, and they have you doing asset protection?
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

The more you know the more you won't tell us the truth.....IJS

eDave
10-12-2018, 12:34 AM
I backed into one last year leaving Claim Jumper. Left my business card and apology.

Owner never called.

kysirsoze
10-12-2018, 12:36 AM

LMAO

eDave
10-12-2018, 12:38 AM
Not really. I actually pay some poor sap in India $0.99 / hr to post messages for me.

Russia's paying a buck twenty five brah.

eDave
10-12-2018, 12:41 AM
I think their experimental semi truck is pretty cool

FAX

I like their spaceships.

LoneWolf
10-12-2018, 12:45 AM
Not far off. Right now they have me training some new security guards since I have experience in that field(long story). If you drive through the main gate you’ll see me. I’ve been working all over the plant and want to eventually end up in sales which is what I applied for. I’ve only been there a month and I kinda like that I’ll know a lot about the build process.

Are you in charge of monitoring the circus tents they have set up to perform rework on all the fuck ups in their assembly process?

TwistedChief
10-12-2018, 01:30 AM
I've had an X for about 6 months (or really, my wife has). I was skeptical at first but we absolutely love the car. The ride is beautiful. Look is sleek. It's insanely fast for what it is. I have thoroughly been happy with the purchase.

Tribal Warfare
10-12-2018, 03:26 AM
LOL, at a glance I read the thread title as

"Thoughts on Tesla Testicles"

ChiliConCarnage
10-12-2018, 04:40 AM
I see a lot of them. They seem nice.

Where do you go to get work done or if there is a recall?

Molitoth
10-12-2018, 06:46 AM
The new Roadster is awesome looking. I'd love to have one but WAY out of my price range.
I also really enjoy the Model S design and want a P100D, but still out of my price range.

The Model X and 3 are ugly as hell imo.

FAX
10-12-2018, 07:12 AM
https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?quality=100&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Fbdbf3ba1e62a21e46e89f3cfa4614fc8%2F205 888588%2Ftesla-price-semi-front-2017-11-23-01.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=f3834038deceaef96c216af45b0dd4630802082c

https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/b4dfe886dbafc7c5339a8fa5dbb23c94/205882816/semi-interior-command-1.jpg

Here are the main specs that Tesla revealed at the unveiling event:

Acceleration from 0 to 60 mph with 80,000 lb: 20 seconds
Speed up a 5% Grade:60 mph
Mile Range: 300 or 500 miles
Powertrain: 4 Independent Motors on Rear Axles
Energy Consumption: Less than 2 kWh per mile
Fuel Savings: $200,000+
Expected Base Price (300 mile range): $150,000
Expected Base Price(500 mile range): $180,000

"And if you give meeee ...
Weed, whites, and wine ...
And you give me a charge ..."

FAX

DaFace
10-12-2018, 07:26 AM
I see a lot of them. They seem nice.

Where do you go to get work done or if there is a recall?They have service centers.

Buehler445
10-12-2018, 07:52 AM
https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?quality=100&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Fbdbf3ba1e62a21e46e89f3cfa4614fc8%2F205 888588%2Ftesla-price-semi-front-2017-11-23-01.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=f3834038deceaef96c216af45b0dd4630802082c

https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/b4dfe886dbafc7c5339a8fa5dbb23c94/205882816/semi-interior-command-1.jpg

Here are the main specs that Tesla revealed at the unveiling event:

Acceleration from 0 to 60 mph with 80,000 lb: 20 seconds
Speed up a 5% Grade:60 mph
Mile Range: 300 or 500 miles
Powertrain: 4 Independent Motors on Rear Axles
Energy Consumption: Less than 2 kWh per mile
Fuel Savings: $200,000+
Expected Base Price (300 mile range): $150,000
Expected Base Price(500 mile range): $180,000

"And if you give meeee ...
Weed, whites, and wine ...
And you give me a charge ..."

FAX
This is what I’d be most interested in.

However that cab looks like it would put you right at the scene of the crash.

Randallflagg
10-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Less than 10% battery degradation over 160,000 miles.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

Thank You....that's what I was curious about.

nychief
10-12-2018, 08:20 AM
Drove one in LA once... it was incredible.

MahiMike
10-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Buy real estate. Don't waste your money on depreciating assets.

alpha_omega
10-12-2018, 08:26 AM
They look cool...that's about all i know.

Only other thought is that their location over in Leeds sure seems a bit out of place.

Demonpenz
10-12-2018, 08:47 AM
They are a wow type of car if you can afford them.

FAX
10-12-2018, 08:50 AM
This is what I’d be most interested in.

However that cab looks like it would put you right at the scene of the crash.

They claim that the glass is bullet proof or something. It's called "Armor Glass", I think.

FAX

Rausch
10-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Go watch the Joe Rogan/Musk interview.

He's got shit programmed in these cars that owners of the initial run still haven't figured out yet.

wutamess
10-12-2018, 09:22 AM
I'm giving my daughter my 2010 Buick Lacrosse for college graduation so I have to get a car by May.

Been really looking into getting a used 2015-16ish Tesla or the new Jaguar I-Pace SUV.
I figure with the way I drive I'm already spending $300/month in gas and a car payment is $500 no matter wtf I get... Might as well get a model S.

Donger
10-12-2018, 09:23 AM
When are the tax incentives going to expire?

wutamess
10-12-2018, 09:26 AM

There's 2 ways to look at it.
There's a number for manufacturers to NOT get the $7500 credit. I think Tesla and GM are close to that quota (with the Bolt).

Other manufacturers are still in the clear. (Jaguar).

There's legislation being tossed around to stop with the credit across the board.

Donger
10-12-2018, 09:29 AM
There's 2 ways to look at it.
There's a number for manufacturers to NOT get the $7500 credit. I think Tesla and GM are close to that quota (with the Bolt).

Other manufacturers are still in the clear. (Jaguar).

There's legislation being tossed around to stop with the credit across the board.

Yep I knew there was. I was just wondering if the gubmint had pulled the plug yet or not...

SuperChief
10-12-2018, 09:31 AM

October 15th

Iowanian
10-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Are you planning to smoke a fatty with Musk?

I don't see me ever having a Tesla, but I should probably get a hybrid at some point. I spend a lot of weeks driving 500-1000 miles in a 3/4 truck.

Donger
10-12-2018, 09:33 AM
October 15th

Looked it up:

If you want to want to take advantage of Tesla's $7,500 federal tax incentive, you'll have to reserve one before October 15th and pay for it before the year ends. Back in July, the automaker announced that it has already sold 200,000 units, and under the law, that means it has hit the ceiling for federal tax credits. Now, the company has revealed a timeline for the incentive's phase out, so you plan accordingly.

The company guarantees that all orders placed by October 15th will be delivered by the end of the year. You'll have to take delivery -- that is, pay your balance in full "either personally or by way of guarantee from a financing institution" -- by December 31st, 2018, but you will get the full incentive. If you put off your purchase or don't take delivery until next year, though, you can say goodbye to that $7,500 in savings.

Purchases delivered from January 1st to June 30th, 2019 will only get a $3,750 credit, while those delivered from July 1st to December 31st, 2019 will only get $1,875. After that, Tesla will no longer be able to offer tax incentives. In case you were waiting for the $35,000 Model 3 and were hoping to buy it for $7,500 less, consider that dream canceled.

FAX
10-12-2018, 09:36 AM
I have a question.

Electric automobiles are supposed to be environmentally friendly ... that's the appeal, right?

Yet, the electricity used to charge the batteries has to be generated and there is an environmental effect to that, correct?

Do you guys know of a study that compares the impact of electric vehicles vs. gas in respect to total environmental impact?

FAX

Dayze
10-12-2018, 09:37 AM
my car is only about 15 months from being paid off; only paid like $5500 and financed for 3 years. Gonna drive it until it dies.
at that point, I'm seriously considering some sort of hybrid. I don't have the $ for a Tesla, but I think i could get on board with something that gets amazing mileage and don't need to shell out a few hundred a month on gas just to get to and from work.

I agree with the post made by wutamess. If I'm going to have a car payment (which I always try to avoid at all costs, but sometimes shit happens and you need to carry a payment for a bit).

Hopefully by the time I'm ready for a different vehicle, there will be an even larger market/inventory of used hybrids etc for a reasonable price. I drove my car prior to my current one for 8 years, and I'm hopeful to drive this one for about the same.

I had been out of the market for a long time a few years back and thought i wanted a truck . Jesus...the prices of trucks is just pure insanity. Used, and especially new.

Donger
10-12-2018, 09:40 AM
I have a question.

Electric automobiles are supposed to be environmentally friendly ... that's the appeal, right?

Yet, the electricity used to charge the batteries has to be generated and there is an environmental effect to that, correct?

Do you guys know of a study that compares the impact of electric vehicles vs. gas in respect to total environmental impact?

FAX

That's part of the appeal, yes. Some people aren't aware that the majority of electricity generation comes from burning fossil fuels still.

FAX
10-12-2018, 09:46 AM
That's part of the appeal, yes. Some people aren't aware that the majority of electricity generation comes from burning fossil fuels still.

Well, the government isn't offering incentives based on the computer chips included in the car ... or its stylish lines ... at least, I don't think they are.

For the owner, the total cost of ownership over time is attractive, obviously. If, that is, it ultimately shakes out that way.

I suppose it boils down to how much coal you have to burn in order to generate the electrical equivalent of a tank of gas.

FAX

Zebedee DuBois
10-12-2018, 09:56 AM
What does it cost to recharge - 'fill the tank' - when on a trip?
I understand from skimming the thread that the range is 300 - 500 miles per charge.

Iowanian
10-12-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm curious how long it will HOLD a charge.

you charge at home, drive 100 miles to a place with no charge stations.....you're there a week-10 days....Battery still good to drive home?

R Clark
10-12-2018, 10:05 AM
We still have brown outs in parts of the country during peak season.Hows it going work when all these electric cars hit the roads? As donger points out most of are power comes from fossil fuels just don't see the point ,what are we saving?

FAX
10-12-2018, 10:09 AM
I'm curious how long it will HOLD a charge.

you charge at home, drive 100 miles to a place with no charge stations.....you're there a week-10 days....Battery still good to drive home?

I cases such as these, Mr. Iowanian, I believe they recommend that you carry a charger with you.

FAX

DaFace
10-12-2018, 10:46 AM
I have a question.

FAX

When you do things at an industrial scale, they tend to become much more efficient. In other words, a car-sized internal-combustion engine wastes a lot of energy to heat loss and such than an electric power plant - even a coal-fired one.

Couple that with the existence of alternative types of fuel that are far cleaner (e.g., nuclear, wind, solar), and e-cars are cleaner and will become even more so as technologies advance.

Here's a pretty good, in-depth article about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/dec/25/how-green-are-electric-cars

Hydrae
10-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Another concern that is seldom considered is the environmental impact of mining the raw materials needed for those batteries.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/aug/24/nickel-mining-hidden-environmental-cost-electric-cars-batteries

And then there are questions about how much of those raw materials are actually available at all.

http://www.mining.com/electric-cars-dreams-may-shattered-2050-lack-cobalt-lithium-supplies/

Donger
10-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Well, the government isn't offering incentives based on the computer chips included in the car ... or its stylish lines ... at least, I don't think they are.

For the owner, the total cost of ownership over time is attractive, obviously. If, that is, it ultimately shakes out that way.

I suppose it boils down to how much coal you have to burn in order to generate the electrical equivalent of a tank of gas.

FAX

I suppose the argument is that it is in our national interest to become less dependent on foreign sources of crude.

Kiimo
10-12-2018, 11:55 AM

That's not a reason to not do everything in our power to reduce emissions. The unfortunate part is that there aren't more options for hybrids. There also needs to be more charging stations. We'll get there.

Remember when nobody wanted an electric car because they were slow? lol

Deberg_1990
10-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Was wondering the same?

Like how long of a life is the battery expected to last?

Not that it would require much but Where do you get the car serviced at?

Can you just take these cars to any joe blow mechanic like for brakes?

Stewie
10-12-2018, 02:24 PM
Has Musk recovered from his mental health issues he's had for the past year? Last I heard he was still having issues. Mainly from big money investors (shorting the stock) that don't believe the company is viable without huge government incentives.

BTW, the manufacture of the Li-xxx batteries and amount of resources they use is ridiculous.

If they could come up with a 100% lithium battery that didn't cause fires and explode it would offset all of the current problems. That seems to be like cracking cold fusion.

DaFace
10-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Has Musk recovered from his mental health issues he's had for the past year? Last I heard he was still having issues. Mainly from big money investors (shorting the stock) that don't believe the company is viable without huge government incentives.

BTW, the manufacture of the Li-xxx batteries and amount of resources they use is ridiculous.

If they could come up with a 100% lithium battery that didn't cause fires and explode it would offset all of the current problems. That seems to be like cracking cold fusion.

The good news is that the huge growth in e-cars is fueling a lot of research into battery technologies. I'd imagine we'll see some significant advances in the next 5-10 years.

Here's on idea that is far from production-ready, but illustrates that people are making progress on the issues.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m9-cNNYb1Ik" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cooper barrett
10-12-2018, 02:34 PM
I cases such as these, Mr. Iowanian, I believe they recommend that you carry a charger with you.

FAX

Or do what Saudi Arabia used to do with GM products....

When they broke they left them where they sat. Many with bullets in the engines, some burned.

Rausch
10-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Both Tesla and Ally-bert thought about magnetism.

Why? WHY DOES IT ACT LIKE IT DO?....

Stewie
10-12-2018, 02:37 PM
The good news is that the huge growth in e-cars is fueling a lot of research into battery technologies. I'd imagine we'll see some significant advances in the next 5-10 years.

Here's on idea that is far from production-ready, but illustrates that people are making progress on the issues.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m9-cNNYb1Ik" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Not as simple as they make it out to be.

FAX
10-12-2018, 02:38 PM
How wonderful!

A battery that doesn't want to explode.

Thank you science.

FAX

sd4chiefs
10-12-2018, 03:07 PM
I was thinking of trading my car in a couple of months ago for a new Tesla. I took a test drive and was really impressed. I then rented one for a day and drove it up to Orange County from San Diego. Here are some things I did not like about it.

1. When I put it in autopilot the Tesla would nag me about not keeping both hands on the steering wheel. I like to use just one hand Damn It! It would also keep dropping out a autopilot for some reason.

2. The range of the car is based on if you drive the car at around 60 mph. If you drive at 70 or 75 the range of the car is reduced by about 20%.

3. I found a recharge station (not a Tesla station) and charged the Tesla for about 2 hours and it only added about 20 miles to the range (cost $2). You can use a Tesla recharge station that can fully recharge the car in 20 minutes but there are not the many around.

4. I did like the adaptive cruise control but there are a lot of cars that have that now.

5. I thought the Model 3 was to small and the Model S is just to expensive.

JakeF
10-12-2018, 03:15 PM
I have a Model S. I love it. I use auto pilot everyday. Smooth ride and alot of fun when you hit the gas - no shifting - it just goes.

I wouldn't get the Model 3 if you are a big dude. They seem to be quite small. The Model S in contrast is such a huge car, it's a tad to big IMO. Barely fits in my garage or parking spaces.
The autopilot would freak me out.

Donger
10-12-2018, 04:09 PM
That's not a reason to not do everything in our power to reduce emissions. The unfortunate part is that there aren't more options for hybrids. There also needs to be more charging stations. We'll get there.

Remember when nobody wanted an electric car because they were slow? lol

I fully support the attempt to make E-vehicles and hybrids more mainstream.

Chief Roundup
10-12-2018, 05:17 PM
The prices are just outrageous.

DaFace
10-18-2018, 08:56 PM
In case anyone cares, the $45k version of the Model 3 is now available. No sign of the $35k version yet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/18/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-tweets-about-35000-model-3-but-not-base-model.html

FAX
10-19-2018, 09:32 AM
When you do things at an industrial scale, they tend to become much more efficient. In other words, a car-sized internal-combustion engine wastes a lot of energy to heat loss and such than an electric power plant - even a coal-fired one.

Couple that with the existence of alternative types of fuel that are far cleaner (e.g., nuclear, wind, solar), and e-cars are cleaner and will become even more so as technologies advance.

Here's a pretty good, in-depth article about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/dec/25/how-green-are-electric-cars

That is a good article, Mr. DaFace. (Slow reader, here.) Thanks. (Answers my question without raising additional issues such as aids or ebola.)

I thought it was interesting to learn about the amount of Earth destroying emissions generated when actually manufacturing automobiles. (Seems like a lot, to me.) Now I find myself concerned about the total environmental impact of trains.

FAX

sd4chiefs
05-17-2019, 05:55 PM
Looks like Tesla is going to have some competition.

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/porsche-2020-taycan-sedan-september-2850462/

Porsche’s newest model, the 2020 all-electric Taycan sedan, will make its showroom debut later this year to an expectant general audience and, likely, a nervous Tesla boardroom. The Taycan has the Model S squarely in its sights, promising a more than competitive range of 310 miles and offering 600 lithium-ion-generated horsepower providing a reported 3.5-seconds-to-60-mph thrust. Other six-figure Tesla challengers are in the works, including Porsche’s sister-company effort, the Audi e-tron GT.

BWillie
05-17-2019, 06:33 PM
Since Sentry Mode came out on Tesla's recently, many unknowing vandals have been caught in the act. Tons of videos on youtube now of the Tesla "security footage" of these idiots vandalizing Teslas now

https://futurism.com/the-byte/sentry-mode-busted-tesla-vandals

Rain Man
05-17-2019, 06:39 PM
I didn't quite realize how advanced these things are, but a friend of mine said that her brother bought one. It autodrives him to work, drops him off at the entrance, and then goes and finds a parking spot by itself. At the end of the day, he calls it and it comes back from the parking lot to pick him up. That's really cool.

Eureka
05-17-2019, 08:49 PM

Porsche’s newest model, the 2020 all-electric Taycan sedan, will make its showroom debut later this year to an expectant general audience and, likely, a nervous Tesla boardroom. The Taycan has the Model S squarely in its sights, promising a more than competitive range of 310 miles and offering 600 lithium-ion-generated horsepower providing a reported 3.5-seconds-to-60-mph thrust. Other six-figure Tesla challengers are in the works, including Porsche’s sister-company effort, the Audi e-tron GT.

There is going to be more competition for Tesla in the next few years. I think most consumers are going to think “Tesla” when it comes to electric vehicles on the forefront of technology. Tesla’s auto pilot is the most advanced available and they recently made a big jump in improvements.

Think how consumers think. Would you buy an iPhone 6 for the same price of of an iPhone X? Both are great products but if you were spending your own $$ you would choose the X.

Tesla future is kinda blurry though as they don’t have the history of a manufacturer like Porsche. Also Tesla is not turning a profit and lost 770 million in the 1st quarter this year. I think they just turned their first profit the end of last year (22million).

DaFace
05-17-2019, 09:35 PM

The problem with the way most of the media seems to interpret "competition with Tesla" is that they act like the EV market is a zero sum game. New entrants aren't competing with Tesla as much as you think. Tesla's biggest competitors are gas cars - not other EVs.

Miles
05-18-2019, 10:45 AM

Will be interesting to see how this plays out since Porsche has been developing the use of electric cars in its flagship cars for years and typically a great engineering company. Porsche is impeccable in the areas like build quality and reliability but likely going to lag on tech stuff inside the car.

threebag
05-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Last night I was driving home from granddaughters softball games. I started thinking about looking into a Tesla.

neech
05-18-2019, 12:57 PM
How wonderful!

A battery that doesn't want to explode.

Thank you science.

FAX

Murphy's law Fax,

Megatron96
05-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Tesla is going to die a relatively short, ignominious death, probably in less than ten years. Due entirely on the ridiculously inefficient method Tesla is using to manufacture their vehicles. Once the Japanese/Korean car makers go full dipstick on Ecars, Tesla will be left in the weeds.

Ecars, on the other hand, are probably here to stay. Unless fuel cell tech becomes widely available in the near future.

BWillie
05-18-2019, 02:18 PM
Tesla is going to die a relatively short, ignominious death, probably in less than ten years. Due entirely on the ridiculously inefficient method Tesla is using to manufacture their vehicles. Once the Japanese/Korean car makers go full dipstick on Ecars, Tesla will be left in the weeds.

Ecars, on the other hand, are probably here to stay. Unless fuel cell tech becomes widely available in the near future.

That would be great. Because then it might make my car a long lasting classic vehicle that will start to appreciate in price.

I don't like Tesla because they might fail or might not be profitable. I like them because they make a great quality and safe product. I don't even give a shit about helping the environment one way or another, either.

DaFace
05-18-2019, 02:39 PM

Eh, worst case for Tesla is another company buys them out. Their tech (both autopilot and batteries) is way too good to just get wiped off the face of the planet.

Stewie
05-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Tesla just announced a draconian cost-cutting business model. We'll see where this goes.

Buehler445
05-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Eh, worst case for Tesla is another company buys them out. Their tech (both autopilot and batteries) is way too good to just get wiped off the face of the planet.

The truth.

This man speaks it.

Their autopilot stuff is really fascinating. (From the outside)

notorious
05-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Can’t wait until they make a 2500/3500 full electric pickup.

The torque and braking from the electric drive will be amazing for hauling.

Buehler445
05-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Can’t wait until they make a 2500/3500 full electric pickup.

The torque and braking from the electric drive will be amazing for hauling.

Wait until you see the price tag.

DaFace
05-18-2019, 07:13 PM

Yeah, that's really the crux of the issue still. All these cars are nice, but 90% of people can't afford them. My Leaf is about as cheap as they come for EVs right now, though some of the new entrants may change that. I'm guessing the first EV trucks are gonna be insanely pricey for what they are, though trucks in general are priced crazy from my perspective.

If we can get someone to offer these things at a price normal people can afford, it's gonna spread like wildfire.

notorious
05-18-2019, 07:40 PM

Can they get more expensive?

Perineum Ripper
05-18-2019, 07:43 PM
A company called Rivian(spl?) is making an electric truck. Looks weird but has some cool tech, if they call actually make it work.

penguinz
05-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Musk is a shit human being.

Munson
05-18-2019, 08:09 PM
A company called Rivian(spl?) is making an electric truck. Looks weird but has some cool tech, if they call actually make it work.

I was watching a Rivian video earlier today about their truck and SUV.

I love the looks, and wouldn't mind owning either one, but both will cost over $60K each before adding any options.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMfxJEfb4lw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious
05-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Looks like a glorified electric Avalanche.

Fail. I need a real pickup. One that hauls shit and pulls shit, not brags about trunk space.

BWillie
05-18-2019, 09:00 PM
Musk is a shit human being.

Wat?

Why

Buehler445
05-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Can they get more expensive?

I run Deere shit.

The answer is a resounding yes.

penguinz
05-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Wat?

Why

80-100+ hour work weeks expected. Temper tantrums when he doesn’t get his way.

Acts like a child.

sd4chiefs
05-18-2019, 11:20 PM
Temper tantrums when he doesn’t get his way.

Acts like a child.

Maybe he should get into politics. It works for some people.

C3HIEF3S
05-19-2019, 07:01 AM
80-100+ hour work weeks expected. Temper tantrums when he doesn’t get his way.

Acts like a child.

Not saying working overboard is remotely a good thing, but if an employee doesn’t like the expectations of their employer then they have every right to leave and find work elsewhere.

Maybe Musk can be an ass, but sometimes the world needs an ass.

notorious
05-19-2019, 07:10 AM
I run Deere shit.

LMAO

LoneWolf
05-19-2019, 07:16 AM
I run Deere shit.

You could always switch to Case. Better product and somewhat cheaper.

(The above post is made in jest. My grandfather owned a John Deere dealership and I grew up running Deere equipment. I currently manage a Case/New Holland manufacturing plant and I’m sure my grandfather would rollover in his grave if he knew that.)

Buehler445
05-19-2019, 09:07 AM
You could always switch to Case. Better product and somewhat cheaper.

(The above post is made in jest. My grandfather owned a John Deere dealership and I grew up running Deere equipment. I currently manage a Case/New Holland manufacturing plant and I’m sure my grandfather would rollover in his grave if he knew that.)

Right on. My grandpa and uncle ran the Deere dealership here too once upon a time. But they can get bent as far as I’m concerned. I’m about what makes my farm money.

Dad and I considered going case a few years back because the local manager was a Pioli-level twat. We ended up not though because were 5 miles from Deere and 45 miles from a Case dealer everyone that runs case bitches about. 60 from one that is better.

threebag
05-19-2019, 09:28 AM

Should have been thumbs up NOT thumbs down...

Great Expectations
06-24-2019, 03:38 PM
I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a Model 3. My wife and I both have 3rd row SUVs; this seems to make sense.

DaFace
06-24-2019, 04:18 PM
I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a Model 3. My wife and I both have 3rd row SUVs; this seems to make sense.

By all accounts, they're great cars. I personally thinking that any two-car household should seriously consider an EV unless you have an insane commute. Despite the marketing, EVs still suck a bit for road trips, but using one car for around town while having a ICE car for road trips works fantastically.

DaFace
06-24-2019, 04:20 PM
Some of you guys might get a kick out of this. Simone Giertz (Queen of Shitty Robots) apparently wanted a truck, but she refuses to buy a gas car. So she bought a Model 3 and turned it into a truck (or perhaps more accurately, a ute).

"Commercial" for it:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R35gWBtLCYg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In depth build:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jKv_N0IDS2A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great Expectations
06-24-2019, 08:26 PM
As the downside is long trips I’m starting to second guess upgrading to the long range model.

DaFace
06-24-2019, 08:33 PM
As the downside is long trips I’m starting to second guess upgrading to the long range model.

Eh, my Leaf only gets 150 miles per charge, so it's a MAJOR pain for me. It'd be less so in a Model 3 LR. I still generally think it's an inconvenience, but you can make it work.

Great Expectations
06-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Price goes up $10k to go from the standard 240 miles to 310 miles.

mcknzAlex
06-24-2019, 09:04 PM
There are some alternative companies that are way cheaper than Tesla.

sd4chiefs
07-01-2019, 08:57 PM

You might want to watch this first.

<iframe width="956" height="538" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QlJ7lPdazyw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>