PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Supersong Tournament: Round 1, Heat 11. (PICK TWO)

Rain Man
10-12-2018, 11:44 AM
This is the final heat of Round 1, so vote carefully. These groups need your vote to reach The Promised Land rather than being banished to the Badlands.

In Round One, I'll put the nominees up in random clumps of five, and you'll pick the TWO musical acts that you would most like, or least hate, to see on the world's biggest stage as the Chiefs face some NFC team next year. In subsequent rounds this system may evolve.

The rules are more or less non-existent. Lobby for anyone you like, post videos for us, and make any arguments against totally insipid groups and rappers. Convince us one way or the other.

Note: Remember that we're voting for the acts as they stand now, not in their prime if they're a group that's had changes.

carcosa
10-12-2018, 11:51 AM
I'd vote Springsteen if he hadn't already done it. So I guess I'll go with... Paula Abdul and Slayer. Together. Same show.

Sofa King
10-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Dropkick Murphys and Slayer would be a hell of a show lol

Coochie liquor
10-12-2018, 11:57 AM
I went Slayer, and Paula Abdul. Hoping it’s the pilled out halfway coherent Paula not the other one!

Rain Man
10-12-2018, 11:58 AM
My winners:

1. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. I wouldn't mind if they did the show every year, so the fact that they're a repeat doesn't bother me.

2. Dropkick Murphys. You can't go wrong with 19th-century Irish accordion and mandolin rock.

My non-winners.

3. Paula Abdul. She's harmless. Her music wouldn't bother me while I was getting some more chips and dip at halftime.

4. Slayer. It's kind of loud and dark. I like it better than Paula Abdul's music, but I'm not sure it's a Super Bowl.

5. Pink Floyd. In 1981, Pink Floyd is awesome. In 2018, I think Pink Floyd is a drummer and a cover band. They're squatters crouching in the shadows of a magnificent ruin.

Pitt Gorilla
10-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Jesus. Some heats, I can't find a single band I'd like to see. This heat, I might be able to make an argument for all of them.

luv
10-12-2018, 12:08 PM
I'm going to make a claim for Paula Abdul. Former Laker Girl. Sure, her hay day was nearly 30 years ago, but she's touring again, and still doing choreography. I have a feeling this would be one whose music appeals to the ladies, but I think she still might have the looks to appeal to some of the men.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/22559b4d1937e61886cacd4bafc061f8e217d37b/c=0-0-974-1299/local/-/media/2018/07/12/Bergen/Morristown/636669974331468833-Paula-Abdul-S10-0038-2.JPG?width=534&height=712&fit=crop

https://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/paula-abdul-2014-billboard-650_0.jpg

Rain Man
10-12-2018, 12:08 PM
It's not even Pink Floyd any more. It's Fuschia Bob or something. I guess if you like hearing a cover band playing their music, you can justify voting for them, but that's the only way.

Rain Man
10-12-2018, 12:11 PM
You could build a good show around the Dropkick Murphys. Plus, they're friendly with Bruce so the two acts could mesh well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A1NZcH2haIM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitt Gorilla
10-12-2018, 12:11 PM
It's not even Pink Floyd any more. It's Fuschia Bob or something. I guess if you like hearing a cover band playing their music, you can justify voting for them, but that's the only way.If it's either Waters or Gilmour, I'd be in. If it's neither, I'm probably out.

htismaqe
10-12-2018, 12:13 PM
I'd rather get dropkicked in the Murphy's than sit through the Boss.

luv
10-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Looks like this is from her latest tour.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GUcrQX9q0R8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
10-12-2018, 12:20 PM
If it's either Waters or Gilmour, I'd be in. If it's neither, I'm probably out.

I could be wrong, but I think the current Pink Floyd is only the drummer from the original group. Someone correct me if you find other information.

Pitt Gorilla
10-12-2018, 12:21 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the current Pink Floyd is only the drummer from the original group. Someone correct me if you find other information.That sounds horrible.

eDave
10-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Gotta go with Floyd and Bruce.

patteeu
10-12-2018, 12:55 PM
You could build a good show around the Dropkick Murphys. Plus, they're friendly with Bruce so the two acts could mesh well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A1NZcH2haIM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's an idea too good to ignore. I vote DKM and Bruce.

patteeu
10-12-2018, 01:02 PM
It's outrageous that a foreign act that doesn't even really exist any more is getting votes. Pink Floyd should be rejected. And btw, Pink Floyd touched me on my private parts when I was an innocent child.

Pitt Gorilla
10-12-2018, 01:17 PM
It's outrageous that a foreign act that doesn't even really exist any more is getting votes. Pink Floyd should be rejected. And btw, Pink Floyd touched me on my private parts when I was an innocent child.Pink Floyd was INCREDIBLE when I was a child.

Randallflagg
10-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Pink Floyd was INCREDIBLE when I was a child.

Pink Floyd was incredible back in the late 60s-70s.....Just my opinion, but when Dark Side of the Moon came out - they began to coast and settled for the status quo..Again, just my opinion.

oldman
10-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Are you all kidding me? It should be the Boss and the Jersey guys, hands down. Paula Abdul is a Laker Girl that could somewhat carry a tune. Pink Floyd, in any version, isn't going to get anyone up except for lighting up. And the other 2 names? Just who are they?

Pitt Gorilla
10-12-2018, 02:00 PM
This is the final heat of Round 1, so vote carefully. These groups need your vote to reach The Promised Land rather than being banished to the Badlands.

In Round One, I'll put the nominees up in random clumps of five, and you'll pick the TWO musical acts that you would most like, or least hate, to see on the world's biggest stage as the Chiefs face some NFC team next year. In subsequent rounds this system may evolve.

The rules are more or less non-existent. Lobby for anyone you like, post videos for us, and make any arguments against totally insipid groups and rappers. Convince us one way or the other.

Note: Remember that we're voting for the acts as they stand now, not in their prime if they're a group that's had changes.
You don't know Slayer? I mean...

patteeu
10-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Honestly, I can't find any evidence that Pink Floyd is a currently touring band. Am I wrong?

WhawhaWhat
10-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Honestly, I can't find any evidence that Pink Floyd is a currently touring band. Am I wrong?

I think they want to kill each other which could make for an entertaining halftime show.

luv
10-12-2018, 02:44 PM

If they're not, that would be my bad. I googled "pink floyd tour 2018" and saw dates come up under their website. I was shocked, but I wrote them down as good. Now, in actually going to their site, it appears as though the dates might have been for one of several other bands that they have listed on their website.

htismaqe
10-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Are you all kidding me? It should be the Boss and the Jersey guys, hands down. Paula Abdul is a Laker Girl that could somewhat carry a tune. Pink Floyd, in any version, isn't going to get anyone up except for lighting up. And the other 2 names? Just who are they?

You're old.

DJ's left nut
10-12-2018, 03:24 PM
I hate Bruce Springsteen if for no other reason than the completely irrational and unconditional love affair seemingly every sportswriter has with him.

The guy is the Grateful Dead of the ink-stained wretch crowd. They have elevated his mopey mediocrity into some sort of otherwise unattainable high art. And every last one of them thinks the rest of us desperately what to hear them rhapsodize over him.

I get it. You're 60 and grew up somewhere near the iron belt. Shut up and talk about Pat Mahomes, dammit!

DJ's left nut
10-12-2018, 03:27 PM

Admit it - you run a blog about Big East basketball, don't you? At the very least you mail out a quarterly newsletter lamenting the rise of the 3 point shot and mispronounce the word 'tournament'.

I'm sure of it.

Rain Man
10-12-2018, 04:08 PM
I hate Bruce Springsteen if for no other reason than the completely irrational and unconditional love affair seemingly every sportswriter has with him.

The guy is the Grateful Dead of the ink-stained wretch crowd. They have elevated his mopey mediocrity into some sort of otherwise unattainable high art. And every last one of them thinks the rest of us desperately what to hear them rhapsodize over him.

I get it. You're 60 and grew up somewhere near the iron belt. Shut up and talk about Pat Mahomes, dammit!

Sportswriters love Springsteen? I mean, I guess I'm not surprised because everyone loves Springsteen, but why are you calling sportswriters out in particular? They're simply stating the obvious about great music.

EPodolak
10-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Not lately.

As great and popular as Pink Floyd were, they were never suited to be a halftime act.

DJ's left nut
10-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Sportswriters love Springsteen? I mean, I guess I'm not surprised because everyone loves Springsteen, but why are you calling sportswriters out in particular? They're simply stating the obvious about great music.

Not all of them. Just the old, uncreative ones with an east coast fetish. I'll bet Berman has his photo framed above his headboard...

WhawhaWhat
10-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Dropkick Murphys put on a great live show and would kill it at the Super Bowl. They're not mainstream enough though. The same with Slayer. Seeing them play Raining Blood while soccer moms watch in horror would be fun.

htismaqe
10-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Admit it - you run a blog about Big East basketball, don't you? At the very least you mail out a quarterly newsletter lamenting the rise of the 3 point shot and mispronounce the word 'tournament'.

I'm sure of it.

ROFL

Simply Red
10-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Slayer/Paula Abdul and it's not close.

Rain Man
10-12-2018, 07:27 PM

Well, you nailed the part about 'not close'.

eDave
10-12-2018, 07:27 PM
In hindsight, might have been better to split Floyd into Gilmour or Waters.

They sure as hell wouldn't reunite for the Superbowl, but it be pretty funny in Waters went into one of his famous antisemitic rants.

cdcox
10-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Pink Floyd was awesome. They no longer exist.

Simply Red
10-12-2018, 10:31 PM
You're old.

that's not very nice.

Pitt Gorilla
10-12-2018, 10:40 PM
Not all of them. Just the old, uncreative ones with an east coast fetish. I'll bet Berman has his photo framed above his headboard...Berman loves the Eagles. Good lord, that got old.

oldman
10-13-2018, 08:51 AM

Bruce is America. About the only thing you got right in your op-ed piece is the 60 years old thing and even that's wrong. Oh, I see you're in Columbia, Misery. That explains everything. :)

patteeu
10-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Pink Floyd should be disqualified, unless Elvis is their guest vocalist. They're the Mexico Beach of rock and roll. They only exist in our memories.

patteeu
10-13-2018, 09:45 AM
And as fun and loud as they are, I'm not sure Slayer can ramp up their show from the county fair circuit they've been playing.

Rain Man
10-13-2018, 10:33 AM
Pink Floyd was awesome. They no longer exist.

Pink Floyd should be disqualified, unless Elvis is their guest vocalist. They're the Mexico Beach of rock and roll. They only exist in our memories.

Yeah, I'll make the call on this that Pink Floyd no longer exists and therefore cannot perform. Hey you, Pink Floyd, we wish you were here or that you were coming back to life, but this poll is just another brick in the wall of your tomb.

Our rule was that they have to be touring now or on tour within the past year to be eligible (and they also have to be currently alive, as a nod to our dead rapper problems). The Pink Floyd website is kind of confusing, but I think our check of tour dates related to a different group founded by the drummer.

htismaqe
10-13-2018, 11:37 AM
And as fun and loud as they are, I'm not sure Slayer can ramp up their show from the county fair circuit they've been playing.

They're playing Wembley Arena on Nov 3rd. :rolleyes:

patteeu
10-13-2018, 11:43 AM
They're playing Wembley Arena on Nov 3rd. :rolleyes:

I’m unfamiliar with that county. Is it in Iowa?

Chief Roundup
10-13-2018, 11:43 AM

ROFL

htismaqe
10-13-2018, 11:46 AM
I’m unfamiliar with that county. Is it in Iowa?

They played Lakewood Arena in Atlanta recently. It seats up to 12K. Not exactly the "county fair" is it?

Spott
10-13-2018, 11:59 AM
100 times Slayer :rockon:

Gadzooks
10-13-2018, 04:39 PM

This video promotes toxic masculinity. I'm sure that's not something the NFL would want to subject their SB half-time viewers to.

Rain Man
10-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Since Pink Floyd is a ghost, Bruce Springsteen and Slayer will move on.

In other news, we need some wildcards to fill out the next round. Looking at the closest losers in Round 1, the Dropkick Murphys, Lil Wayne, and Muse will get passes to move into Round 2.