PDA

View Full Version : Football Chargers PSL Sales 'A Struggle'; NFL to Discuss Team's Viability in LA

Sassy Squatch
10-17-2018, 10:33 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2801390-report-chargers-psl-sales-a-struggle-nfl-to-discuss-teams-viability-in-la

NFL owners and executives have reportedly discussed the Chargers' long-term viability in Los Angeles at this week's league meetings.

According to Seth Wickersham of ESPN The Magazine, it has been a "struggle" for the Chargers to sell personal seat licenses for Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park in Inglewood, California.

Wickersham added the Chargers are likely to revise their revenue goals from $400 million to $150 million as a result.

What a bunch of dumb motherfuckers...

Dayze
10-17-2018, 10:36 AM
would they be better served simply selling tickets, instead of PSLs?

mikeyis4dcats.
10-17-2018, 10:39 AM
I don't care how many Pumpkin Spice Lattes they sell...

Pasta Little Brioni
10-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Shocking!

jjchieffan
10-17-2018, 10:40 AM
It's amazing that the NFL and the Spanos took this long to figure out that the Chargers moving to LA was a bad idea. They need to convince Spanos to sell the team to an owner willing to move the team back to San Diego. The NFL then needs to kick in enough money to get a stadium deal for them. I think that if they do that, the Chargers will recover quickly. But Spanos has to sell. Even the most diehard fans will tell Spanos to go to hell before they buy tickets again.

DRM08
10-17-2018, 10:42 AM
California in general doesn’t give a shit about football. It’s dumb for the state to have 4 NFL teams. Raiders fixing part of the issue by moving to Vegas. Chargers should move somewhere else as well.

Eleazar
10-17-2018, 10:44 AM
Just move them to London or Mexico City and be done with it.

CaliforniaChief
10-17-2018, 10:49 AM
San Diego is one of the most populous cities in the country. Just apologize, work with city leaders, build a new stadium, and go back.

wazu
10-17-2018, 10:49 AM
California in general doesn’t give a shit about football. It’s dumb for the state to have 4 NFL teams. Raiders fixing part of the issue by moving to Vegas. Chargers should move somewhere else as well.

San Diego had a solid fan base before Spanos decided to systematically dismantle it. They’ll come back in force with new ownership.

Dierdorf72
10-17-2018, 10:56 AM
LOL. The NFL is a clown car.

Dierdorf72
10-17-2018, 10:57 AM
It's amazing that the NFL and the Spanos took this long to figure out that the Chargers moving to LA was a bad idea. They need to convince Spanos to sell the team to an owner willing to move the team back to San Diego. The NFL then needs to kick in enough money to get a stadium deal for them. I think that if they do that, the Chargers will recover quickly. But Spanos has to sell. Even the most diehard fans will tell Spanos to go to hell before they buy tickets again.

This. Tell them to pound sand and sue the ever loving holy **** out of them and the league. San Diego doesn't need them.

saphojunkie
10-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Factually inaccurate.

Ever heard of USC? Stanford? The Rose Bowl? Cal? UCLA?

This town fucking LOVES the Rams. The problem is most people don't know what true Angelenos are into. They didn't give a shit about the Chargers. They would have supported the Raiders, so thank GOD they didn't come back to LA.

The Rams are what Angelenos consider their "true" team. The Bay area is fucking nuts for the Niners.

Deberg_1990
10-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Oakland Chargers?

BlackOp
10-17-2018, 11:19 AM
So Chargers are looking to cut PSL expectations by 60%....ROFL No shit, you ****ing morons.

Anyone that hasn't noticed the undeserved Chargers hype for the last year should take a LONG look at the OP...then take note of those national mouthpieces that are peddling the narrative...They are propaganda puppets.

The NFL went out of its way to make KC's early schedule as tough as possible. Steelers/NE/Chargers/Broncos away...with Denver being in the first month where they are nearly unbeatable at altitude. Jacksonville and the 5-0 49ers at home. They were banking on Mahomes looking like a 1st time starter in the opener...and LA breaking the trend.

Chiefs are also playing two teams (Patriots/Denver@Arrowhead) after they have 10 days rest in the span of 3 games. If PM hadn't looked like a prodigy QB out of the gates...Chiefs are likely 2-4 right now.

They (wanted/needed) the Chargers to be in first place early....Mahomes put that idea to rest and now they are having a meeting about how this terrible idea isn't going work.

Move them to San Antonio or London....maybe back to San Diego where they belong.

srvy
10-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Yeah LA loves the Rams so much they let them bolt to St Lou then the league stepped in to force them back.

True Angelino's whatever the fuck that is.

DaFace
10-17-2018, 11:29 AM
San Diego is one of the most populous cities in the country. Just apologize, work with city leaders, build a new stadium, and go back.

I think Spanos has to be out for that to be successful. But yeah, if he's gone, I'd imagine the city would welcome them back on much better terms.

ChiefBlueCFC
10-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Oakland Chargers?
https://i.giphy.com/media/10Jpr9KSaXLchW/giphy-downsized-large.gif

ModSocks
10-17-2018, 11:37 AM
I think Spanos has to be out for that to be successful. But yeah, if he's gone, I'd imagine the city would welcome them back on much better terms.

Hey buddy, its not just Spanos though.

The city leaders are crooked as ****. Our mayor pretended to be dedicated to keeping the team, then went completely silent after the Chargers proposal and didn't bother throwing his hat in the ring till like 3 weeks before the election.

Then, once the initiative failed, not even a day after the Chargers declare their move, Mayor **** face unveils this "plan" (that he was clearly working on for months and months behind the scenes despite his "commitment to keeping the NFL) to sell the land to build "Soccer City" so they can build a ****ing 20K seat soccer stadium. **** face was in cahoots with Landon Donovan's development team the whole time the Chargers were giving their half assed effort to stay in SD, while telling the people he was committed to keeping the Chargers here.

Luckily, SDSU stepped in and said "**** that, wait a minute", put their bid in for an Aztecs football stadium instead, and both initiatives will be voted on in November, and SDSU's new Aztec stadium is in the clear lead.

saphojunkie
10-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Yeah LA loves the Rams so much they let them bolt to St Lou then the league stepped in to force them back.

True Angelino's whatever the fuck that is.

Don't be stupid. You think Cleveland hated the Browns? Think Baltimore hated the Colts?

And true Angelenos are the ones born here, not the ones who show up holding a headshot and another NFL alliance.

But nice try.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2018, 12:32 PM
So dumb. So very fucking dumb. How in gods name did the Spanos family think that moving the Chargers to a city the team had barely a fractions worth of history with, and that had already reinvested itself in the Rams was a good idea?

As a city, SD has bank. A LOT of fucking bank. How the parties involved could not reach an agreement is beyond my capacity to understand. And, the Spanos family waited until SD was a sucky fucking team again to start pushing for these changes. Some people are not cut out to run a business much less own an NFL franchise.

kysirsoze
10-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Don't be stupid. You think Cleveland hated the Browns? Think Baltimore hated the Colts?

And true Angelenos are the ones born here, not the ones who show up holding a headshot and another NFL alliance.

But nice try.

:sulk:

Bob Dole
10-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Nobody saw this coming. Nobody.

Said no one ever.

eDave
10-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Yikes. What a disaster.

The thing with LA is that there is so much other stuff to do, including seeing the Rams instead. Add in traffic to get to the stadium, costs, etc. Chargers lose out.

Kiimo
10-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Sapho really hitting the angelinos who showed up with another allegiance holding a headshot.

Don't make me post your headshot, sapho!

kysirsoze
10-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Just move them to London or Mexico City and be done with it.

This would fucking suck.

ModSocks
10-17-2018, 12:42 PM
San Diegans revel in any negative news pertaining to the Chargers/Spanos. I promise you San Diego sports fans are loving this. They don't really hate the team. They hate Spanos.

DRM08
10-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Factually inaccurate.

Ever heard of USC? Stanford? The Rose Bowl? Cal? UCLA?

This town ****ing LOVES the Rams. The problem is most people don't know what true Angelenos are into. They didn't give a shit about the Chargers. They would have supported the Raiders, so thank GOD they didn't come back to LA.

The Rams are what Angelenos consider their "true" team. The Bay area is ****ing nuts for the Niners.

I have heard of those college programs. Their attendance is not exactly off the charts.

Kiimo
10-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Not only is LA currently Rams-crazy (winning helps) but they actively hate the Chargers being here. LA would have supported Rams and Raiders but nobody here roots for the Chargers. The stadium is full of other teams' fans every Sunday. The players talk about hating LA and drive from Orange County for the games every day.

What's more the Chargers' future landlord has every reason to sabotage their development here every day in every way he can. Like...expect cold showers. Parking lot fees. Random strikes by employees during Charger home games. A million little things to ruin the foothold the Chargers have.

Dean Spanos might be the worst owner in sports. At least Old Racist Dirtbag Donald Sterling got people to go to Clipper games.

Dean Spanos should be forced to sell the team.

ChiefBlueCFC
10-17-2018, 12:46 PM
This would fucking suck.

Especially with them being in West, and we know the NFL wouldn't adjust divisions. Moving any NFL team to London is fucking dumb

Dayze
10-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Now that we have Mahomes,maybe the NFL can adjust the divisions and arrange it so we have cupcakes for a decade like Peyton and Tom.

kysirsoze
10-17-2018, 12:53 PM
Not only is LA currently Rams-crazy (winning helps) but they actively hate the Chargers being here. LA would have supported Rams and Raiders but nobody here roots for the Chargers. The stadium is full of other teams' fans every Sunday. The players talk about hating LA and drive from Orange County for the games every day.

You're absolutely right. The weird thing is that when I moved out here 12 years ago, I would have pegged the Chargers as the number one LA team. Of course there were lingering Rams and Raiders fans, but Chargers jerseys were all over the place. I guess it's because they were the closest team currently. I think the Chargers saw that sort of thing and thought they would translate well, not counting on the Rams having the throwback appeal and head start.

The Chargers are the guy who breaks up with his long time girlfriend because a hotter girl flirted with him a few times. Not likely to work out.

kysirsoze
10-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Now that we have Mahomes,maybe the NFL can adjust the divisions and arrange it so we have cupcakes for a decade like Peyton and Tom.

The way the AFC West is headed, maybe that's exactly what's going on.

Kiimo
10-17-2018, 01:03 PM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/11/24-hours-melvin-gordon-game-day-chargers-49ers

9:17 a.m.

Father and son exchange game tickets and hugs, and Gordon is on the road to Carson. Soon enough, traffic slows to a crawl, and Gordon begins to calculate just how much of his game day he spends in his Range Rover. It’s a time for meditation, to get lost in the hip hop bellowing through the speakers—it’s not a time for brake lights. “I don’t really like this area too much, to be honest. I loved San Diego. It was my kind of energy, my kind of vibe. It was a perfect place for me. Everything was perfect.”

His father and mother moved here, from Wisconsin to the maze of highways and commercial parks 40 minutes south of L.A. proper, to be closer to Melvin. They don’t much like the area either. Still, having mom and dad nearby is something of an emotional anchor for the 25-year-old from Kenosha.)

You know what you don't hear about? Rams players complaining about living in Southern California. It's funny how being happy is a great foundation for enjoying life in Los Angeles.

MahiMike
10-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Oakland Chargers?

Hmmm

Kiimo
10-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Um Oakland and San Diego have one thing in common: they aren't building stadiums for their fake-rich owners.

Sassy Squatch
10-17-2018, 01:09 PM
St. Louis Chargers. Book em.

ptlyon
10-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Feel so sorry for that fan base. They got fucked so bad.

Dartgod
10-17-2018, 01:11 PM

Third time's a charm?

Shag
10-17-2018, 01:20 PM
Force a sale, send 'em back to SD. This town would welcome them back with open arms, as long as Spanos was out.

Dierdorf72
10-17-2018, 01:26 PM
This town ****ing LOVES the Rams.

Well shit, I wonder why ? And when that run ends, guess where they going to go next ?

Eleazar
Especially with them being in West, and we know the NFL wouldn't adjust divisions. Moving any NFL team to London is ****ing dumb

https://i.imgur.com/dFkBPFt.jpg

BleedingRed
San Antonio Chargers...... Yes I know they are Cowboy fans, but they would switch in a heart beat for their own team. See Spurs > Mavericks

Dierdorf72
10-17-2018, 01:27 PM

No. I don't what that POS league in my old town again. They burned that bridge to a crisp.

Sassy Squatch
10-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Jones will never let that happen.

Sassy Squatch
10-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, or Portland?

CrazyPhuD
10-17-2018, 01:37 PM
My money is on Elon Musk buying them and moving them to a new stadium in Fremont.

First corporate sponsored team...the Tesla SuperChargers...premade fanbase....marketing opportunities galore. :bolts:

Kiimo
10-17-2018, 01:59 PM
San Jose actually isn't the worst idea

eDave
10-17-2018, 02:02 PM
My money is on Elon Musk buying them and moving them to a new stadium on Mars.

First corporate sponsored team...the Tesla SuperChargers...premade fanbase....marketing opportunities galore. :bolts:

FYP

Monkey God
10-17-2018, 02:47 PM
My money is on Elon Musk buying them and moving them to a new stadium in Fremont.

Actually the Chargers team name was a marketing ploy originally. Barron Hilton was the owner, and Hilton Hotels was introducing a new Hilton Charge Card...therefore he named them the L.A. Chargers.

Rain Man
10-17-2018, 02:54 PM

That may have already happened.

(Clinking glasses.) To Elway and Gruden!

displacedinMN
10-17-2018, 02:57 PM
I still say play in a different college stadium home week in a state without a pro team.
Call yourself the Nomads.

Reerun_KC
10-17-2018, 02:58 PM

OKC is too small, College football is King here with OSU/OU... Not enough money to go around.

JoeyChuckles
10-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Especially with them being in West, and we know the NFL wouldn't adjust divisions. Moving any NFL team to London is ****ing dumb

Not that it would ever happen, but I like playing the geography game....

Move the London Chargers to the AFC East, the Miami Dolphins to the AFC South, and the Houston Texans to the AFC West.

Monkey God
10-17-2018, 03:00 PM
OKC is too small, College football is King here with OSU/OU... Not enough money to go around.

It would be Jax all over again...smaller market and college will always be first.

ModSocks
10-17-2018, 03:03 PM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/11/24-hours-melvin-gordon-game-day-chargers-49ers

You know what you don't hear about? Rams players complaining about living in Southern California. It's funny how being happy is a great foundation for enjoying life in Los Angeles.

Rams players never got to live in San Diego first.

San Diego is better than LA, sorry brah. We've got everything LA has minus the incredibly excessive traffic, over population and filthy downtown.

TwistedChief
10-17-2018, 03:06 PM

San Diego is better than LA, sorry brah. We've got everything LA has minus the incredibly excessive traffic, over population and filthy downtown.

This is absolutely correct.

highBOLTage
10-17-2018, 03:11 PM

St. Louis to L.A. = upgrade
S.D. To L.A. = downgrade

Does the PSL money really matter to the Chargers anyway? Doesn't all the PSL money go to Kroenke?

Rain Man
10-17-2018, 03:11 PM
I still say play in a different college stadium home week in a state without a pro team.
Call yourself the Nomads.

If you played in the eight largest metro areas without an NFL team (assuming they all have sufficient college stadiums), you'd go to:

Orlando, FL
San Antonio, TX
Portland, OR
Sacramento, CA
Austin, TX
Columbus, OH
Norfolk, VA
Providence, RI

You could start the season up north in Providence and Norfolk, and then move south over time as the weather gets cooler.

I'm not sure the stadium situation would be ideal, though. Austin and Columbus will have huge stadiums, but I'm not sure about any of the others.

Rain Man
10-17-2018, 03:12 PM
On a business note, downgrading your revenue estimate from $400 million to $150 million is beyond disastrous. If you were a public company and did that, they'd have to stop trading on your company.

Prison Bitch
10-17-2018, 03:14 PM
San Jose actually isn't the worst idea

Uh, yeah it is, that violates SF's trade area

ModSocks
10-17-2018, 03:19 PM
If they want to come back to SD then they better be willing to fork over $2billion of their own money and find some land to build on cuz Qualcomm is as good as gone.

Odds are strong, very strong, that the Qualcomm site is the home of a new SDSU Football stadium that will hold 35K.

Sure, it's "expandable" to 55K, but even at 55K it'd be the smallest venue in the league and wouldn't have spiffy press boxes and the like. @55K seats it'd have a smaller seating capacity than Soldier Field.....

ct
10-17-2018, 03:23 PM
So Chargers are looking to cut PSL expectations by 60%....ROFL No shit, you ****ing morons.

Anyone that hasn't noticed the undeserved Chargers hype for the last year should take a LONG look at the OP...then take note of those national mouthpieces that are peddling the narrative...They are propaganda puppets.

The NFL went out of its way to make KC's early schedule as tough as possible. Steelers/NE/Chargers/Broncos away...with Denver being in the first month where they are nearly unbeatable at altitude. Jacksonville and the 5-0 49ers at home. They were banking on Mahomes looking like a 1st time starter in the opener...and LA breaking the trend.

Chiefs are also playing two teams (Patriots/Denver@Arrowhead) after they have 10 days rest in the span of 3 games. If PM hadn't looked like a prodigy QB out of the gates...Chiefs are likely 2-4 right now.

They (wanted/needed) the Chargers to be in first place early....Mahomes put that idea to rest and now they are having a meeting about how this terrible idea isn't going work.

Move them to San Antonio or London....maybe back to San Diego where they belong.

theres some much bullshit in that post, it might actually be true!

and from BlackOps, love it!

:thumb:

ChiefsCountry
10-17-2018, 03:31 PM
If St. Louis would have built the Dome for Bidwell, the Cardinals never would have left and he would have been happy as a lark. It was basically a pissing match between the City and County at that time and Bidwell called their bluff on it.

Kroenke saw the dollars signs and bolted.

Solid middle of the road type owner is all you need in St. Louis and it would be fine.

Scooter LaCanforno
10-17-2018, 03:41 PM
If you played in the eight largest metro areas without an NFL team (assuming they all have sufficient college stadiums), you'd go to:

Orlando, FL
San Antonio, TX
Portland, OR
Sacramento, CA
Austin, TX
Columbus, OH
Norfolk, VA
Providence, RI

You could start the season up north in Providence and Norfolk, and then move south over time as the weather gets cooler.

I'm not sure the stadium situation would be ideal, though. Austin and Columbus will have huge stadiums, but I'm not sure about any of the others.

The Orlando Chargers. Orlando sells out the Pro Bowl. Plenty of land for a Stadium. Low Taxes. Lightning and Thunderstorm Capital of the World. Fans from all NFL teams will travel here. Only problem will be complaints from the other NFL teams in the state.

big nasty kcnut
10-17-2018, 03:43 PM
I don't know why people would hate on london being a nfl team. Especially if you flew the team by a variant of the concord aircraft they could be in the u.s. in two hours and mexico bitch please.

ROYC75
10-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Oakland Chargers?

St Louis Chargers, get them off the west coast, closer travel, think of all the red in St Louis.

srvy
10-17-2018, 04:31 PM

But nice try.

I think LA dipshits dont care about football unless they win and there isnt something better to do.

srvy
10-17-2018, 04:38 PM

Oooooooo OK City Chargers imagine a Texas Oklahoma rivalry for the NFL.

GloucesterChief
10-17-2018, 04:45 PM

Orlando, FL
San Antonio, TX
Portland, OR
Sacramento, CA
Austin, TX
Columbus, OH
Norfolk, VA
Providence, RI

Norfolk doesn't have a stadium. Biggest seats 30,000. You could play a game on the infield of Richmond International Raceway though.

AssEaterChief
10-17-2018, 04:59 PM

The problem is most of the people here do not want them back.

The Rams are San Diego's official team now as far as tv and advertising is concerned.

They put both on tv but people here are scorned by that franchise.

Dierdorf72
10-17-2018, 05:23 PM
If St. Louis would have built the Dome for Bidwell, the Cardinals never would have left and he would have been happy as a lark. It was basically a pissing match between the City and County at that time and Bidwell called their bluff on it.

Kroenke saw the dollars signs and bolted.

Solid middle of the road type owner is all you need in St. Louis and it would be fine.

Yeah, they screwed up the first time. Gene McNary (?) wanted it built in Earth City where the Riverport theatre now resides.

The NFL ship has sailed. Too much shit has been said and done for STL to ever welcome them back. They have an excellent shot to get an MLS team and hopefully throw their hat in the ring for an NBA team (haven't had one since the Hawks left in '68).

Those are the two growing sports that they should hop on and start fresh.

Kiimo
10-17-2018, 05:34 PM

I'm not saying LA is better than SD you have misunderstood my post. I'm saying having players complain about the city is a sign of unhappiness. See: Bono.

I think LA dipshits dont care about football unless they win and there isnt something better to do.

You sound stupid

Deberg_1990
10-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Only problem will be complaints from the other NFL teams in the state.

That’s an argument that people always use against San Antonio and Austin.

Personally I think the two cities should team up and get a team. They are basically growing towards connecting to each other anyways.

Sassy Squatch
10-17-2018, 05:44 PM
That’s an argument that people always use against San Antonio and Austin.

Personally I think the two cities should team up and get a team. They are basically growing towards connecting to each other anyways.
It's not the other teams. Its Jerry Jones.

saphojunkie
10-17-2018, 05:47 PM

I LIVE IN LA AND AM CURRENTLY ON THE SAME FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD AS YOU.

It's like you can't believe that a city of 20 million people has football fans. You're right - to be a real NFL fan you need a shaved head, goatee, and sucking down a 64 ounce Code Red from Quik Trip while you get into your F350 with the inexplicable Monster Energy drink logo on the rear.

Deberg_1990
10-17-2018, 05:53 PM
It's not the other teams. Its Jerry Jones.

Yea, that’s some of it too. JJ doesn’t want to lose the South Texas market.

ChiliConCarnage
10-17-2018, 05:56 PM
On a business note, downgrading your revenue estimate from $400 million to $150 million is beyond disastrous. If you were a public company and did that, they'd have to stop trading on your company.

No doubt but people giving you 150 million for the opportunity to keep giving you more money annually is a pretty sweet business model overall.

saphojunkie
10-17-2018, 05:56 PM

1. Kiimosabe is a HUGE fan of the city of San Diego and is constantly talking about how he can finagle moving there without having to commute 2.5 hours to work everyday.

2. It does NOT have everything LA has. A few examples:

- Two NBA franchises
- An actually good baseball team
- Koreatown
- multiple ethnic and cultural pockets that create hybrid cuisine
- just like... the food in general
- Movie studios. You might not care, but the shit load of us who work in the industry do, and it's why tons and tons of people move here every day.
- one of the busiest airports with direct flights to virtually anywhere, round the clock.
- Burbank airport, because the one I just mentioned sucks balls

Don't get me wrong, San Diego is cool as shit, and I really like it. Ocean Beach is one of my perfect happy places. But Los Angeles is fucking enormous and has the trappings - good and bad - that come with that.

Let me put it this way: I could never live in San Diego.

srvy
10-17-2018, 05:59 PM
I LIVE IN LA AND AM CURRENTLY ON THE SAME FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD AS YOU.

It's like you can't believe that a city of 20 million people has football fans. You're right - to be a real NFL fan you need a shaved head, goatee, and sucking down a 64 ounce Code Red from Quik Trip while you get into your F350 with the inexplicable Monster Energy drink logo on the rear.

Maybe that all works for you but I prefer Dr Pepper or Mello Yello. What hair I have left I let grow prefer a full beard but when I mess up trimming its either off or into a Van Dyke. Never had a energy drink prefer coffee and have driven pickups and suburbans most my life for work. My personal ride is the smoothest riding big ass sedan they make now days.

You should try a rams message board I think you would fit right in.