PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Supersong Tournament: Round 2, Heat 5. (PICK TWO)

Rain Man
10-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Second verse, same as the first. This is the last heat of Round 2.

In Round Two, I'll put the nominees up in random clumps of five, and you'll pick the TWO musical acts that you would most like, or least hate, to see on the world's biggest stage as the Chiefs face some NFC team next year.

The rules are more or less non-existent. Lobby for anyone you like, post videos for us, and make any arguments against totally insipid groups and rappers. Convince us one way or the other.

The Franchise
10-19-2018, 03:36 PM
I was told there would be a poll.

Rain Man
10-19-2018, 03:37 PM
I was told there would be a poll.

We had a long instrumental introduction beforehand.

Rain Man
10-19-2018, 03:39 PM
My winners:

1. Ben Folds. Clearly a top contender. He's fun to watch and has creative music.

2. Eagles. They're actually kind of the real Eagles, who are a good group. I just hope they start with Seven Bridges Road.

My non-winners.

3. Rolling Stones. They would be acceptable, but I'm not sure that they represent the clean living image that the NFL likes to project (Von Miller aside).

4. Taylor Swift. Boring music in a nice package.

5. Muse. (Goes to store at halftime to get more Dr. Pepper.)

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 03:40 PM
By far the worst heat yet. I want to vote for Muse twice. The only way I'd vote for any of the other 4 is if a meteor hit the SB halftime show...

LoneWolf
10-19-2018, 03:50 PM
After Garth Brooks and ELO advanced in another heat, who gives a shit what CP thinks about the halftime show?

TwistedChief
10-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Big fan of the Ben Folds option. I think he's terrific live, though he might lack the Super Bowl gravitas...

WhawhaWhat
10-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Muse is THE best live show I've ever seen. Their concerts are so good. They aren't mainstream enough to win here or play the Super Bowl but for anyone that likes great live rock music, go see them if they come to your area.

DJ's left nut
10-19-2018, 04:06 PM
I wanted to vote for Muse, I truly did.

But dammit, I really really like Ben Folds and how can you pass on the Stones? This was a genuinely tough heat, IMO.

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 04:07 PM
Muse is THE best live show I've ever seen. Their concerts are so good. They aren't mainstream enough to win here or play the Super Bowl but for anyone that likes great live rock music, go see them if they come to your area.

But but Ben Folds. :rolleyes: :shake:

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 04:07 PM

But dammit, I really really like Ben Folds and how can you pass on the Stones? This was a genuinely tough heat, IMO.

I'd rather pass a stone than listen to Ben Folds...

patteeu
10-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Ben Folds and the Eagles. Taylor Swift was the only other American act and therefore the only other option. She'd probably be alright and popular, but she really doesn't do much for me (which isn't a requirement, but it is a tiebreaker).

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Ben Folds and the Eagles. Taylor Swift was the only other American act and therefore the only other option. She'd probably be alright and popular, but she really doesn't do much for me (which isn't a requirement, but it is a tiebreaker).

So being American is more important than actually being, you know, good?

Coochie liquor
10-19-2018, 04:26 PM

Uhoh...

T-post Tom
10-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Nothing more analogous than Taylor Swift & the Super Bowl. :hmmm:

DJ's left nut
10-19-2018, 04:43 PM
I'd rather pass a stone than listen to Ben Folds...

I do not believe you, sir...

The Franchise
10-19-2018, 04:54 PM

Maybe because the Stones are overrated and they suck?

EPodolak
10-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Rolling Stones are the best of a good heat. But like McCartney they don't belong at a SB halftime show, especially for a second time.

I usually have the sound turned down for halftime anyway, which makes Taylor Swift the best choice.

Love the Eagles almost as much as the Stones. I would turn up the sound for them.

Ben Folds, sure why not.

Don't know who Muse is.

patteeu
10-19-2018, 05:07 PM

Yes, it's an American game and an American championship. We have plenty of American bands that are good enough, like the three in this heat. I like the others and I think Muse is the best Arena act in this heat, but I've established my criteria and I'm sticking to it.

Rain Man
10-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Ben needs more votes. I'll put up a song, and if you listen to it you'll vote for him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WyYmOZ2mJow" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
10-19-2018, 06:34 PM
Here's a fun song, too. Listen to the back story. The Super Bowl crowd would love to sing along in the chorus.

The more I think about it, Ben Folds is the best Super Bowl act possible among non-incumbents.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fl0XcOexMgk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TwistedChief
10-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Rain Man - you are the greatest thing that ever happened to CP and also Ben Folds, but I feel like you're selling him short pimping those good-but-not-great songs. This crowd is far more attuned to the angst of 'Song for the Dumped.'

It could be an ode to Clark Hunt after paying $50 for parking: "Give me my money back, give my money back, give me my money back, you bitch." And that black t-shirt?!

Nzoner
10-19-2018, 06:45 PM

DAMN STRAIGHT!

And this intro from The Good The Bad and The Ugly is so ****ing great!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4NL1wqc9rGE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
10-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Rain Man - you are the greatest thing that ever happened to CP and also Ben Folds, but I feel like you're selling him short pimping those good-but-not-great songs. This crowd is far more attuned to the angst of 'Song for the Dumped.'

It could be an ode to Clark Hunt after paying $50 for parking: "Give me my money back, give my money back, give me my money back, you bitch." And that black t-shirt?!

He could certainly go that way.

I like the one about an angry girlfriend stabbing his basketball. Given the NFL's positioning toward women, "Bitch Went Nuts" would certainly get a lot of media attention.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ATMSs2iw7gg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or he could go mellow with "Rock This Bitch".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6RPx5NFWbIM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner
10-19-2018, 07:04 PM
After Garth Brooks and ELO advanced in another heat, who gives a shit what CP thinks about the halftime show?

Wow,your disdain for ELO is amazing as they're easily one of the top 20 rock bands ever.

Easy 6
10-19-2018, 07:07 PM
Finally! a list of options with two bands I can actually pick without puking... I'd love to see the Eagles get a crack at it, even with Glenn Freys son

Rain Man
10-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Wow,your disdain for ELO is amazing as they're easily one of the top 20 rock bands ever.

I like ELO, but I must admit that I'm surprised by their strength here. I viewed them as a 70s band that had kind of disappeared under the sands of time.

Trivia: in the late 1970s in high school, I wore an ELO belt buckle. Someone gave it to me for Christmas and I liked the colors. I'm pretty sure it was this one.

http://www.10538overture.dk/ELO/ELO%20Covers/cover_elo_out_of_the_blue_belt_buckle.jpg

rico
10-19-2018, 07:10 PM
1.) Muse
2.) Ben Folds
3.) Eagles
4.) Rolling Stones
5.) Taylor Swift

Nzoner
10-19-2018, 07:21 PM
I like ELO, but I must admit that I'm surprised by their strength here. I viewed them as a 70s band that had kind of disappeared under the sands of time.

No doubt they are best known for their 70's work plus keep in mind jeff Lynne was also working with The Traveling Wilburys in the late 80's.They also released a project in 2001 which featured a song used in the film American Hustle...a damn great song btw.They also released a project in 2015 which hit number two on Billboard's Rock albums.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ab1sOKjgsms" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
10-19-2018, 07:28 PM
No doubt they are best known for their 70's work plus keep in mind jeff Lynne was also working with The Traveling Wilburys in the late 80's.They also released a project in 2001 which featured a song used in the film American Hustle...a damn great song btw.They also released a project in 2015 which hit number two on Billboard's Rock albums.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ab1sOKjgsms" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good song. :thumb:

The Travelling Willburys would have been a fantastic halftime act.

Nzoner
10-19-2018, 07:35 PM

The Travelling Willburys would have been a PHENOMENAL halftime act.

FYP...sorry but to me that was the GREATEST SUPER GROUP EVER!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IEhoISYxnb0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
10-19-2018, 07:46 PM
Here's a fun song, too. Listen to the back story. The Super Bowl crowd would love to sing along in the chorus.

The more I think about it, Ben Folds is the best Super Bowl act possible among non-incumbents.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fl0XcOexMgk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My signature is courtesy of Ben Folds...

LoneWolf
10-19-2018, 07:56 PM

No disdain for ELO, they just aren’t relevant now. It’s Lynne and none of the originals. The poll is supposed to be about what band you want to see perform at halftime now. Not 30 years ago.

I’m a huge fan of Zeppelin, but I don’t want to see their old asses on the stage at halftime of the SuperBowl.

rico
10-19-2018, 08:04 PM
My signature is courtesy of Ben Folds...

I love Ben Folds. My brother got me into him about ten years ago. Prior to that, I only knew him via Ben Folds Five “Brick,” a fantastic song.

He was amazing at Lolla.

Nzoner
10-19-2018, 08:06 PM
No disdain for ELO, they just aren’t relevant now. It’s Lynne and none of the originals. The poll is supposed to be about what band you want to see perform at halftime now. Not 30 years ago.

I’m a huge fan of Zeppelin, but I don’t want to see their old asses on the stage at halftime of the SuperBowl.

Fair enough and to be honest I rarely watch the halftime show anyway but I will say IMHO most of those those bands from 30 years ago can still kick the shit out of half of what's being offered today.

Rain Man
10-19-2018, 08:29 PM

The Travelling Willburys would have been a fantastic halftime act.

The Willburys are pretty amazing. It seemed like they flew under the radar given how star-studded they were. And they've got some fantastic songs. I'm a big fan of the Willburys.

Nzoner
10-19-2018, 08:33 PM
The Willburys are pretty amazing. It seemed like they flew under the radar given how star-studded they were. And they've got some fantastic songs. I'm a big fan of the Willburys.

This one always cracks me up

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VrwIoIGfFIU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 09:53 PM

They were popular about the time I was born. I have a ton of respect for Jeff Lynne and the boys but they're not relevant and certainly not SB material. Not in 2018.

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 09:54 PM
The Traveling Wilburys? ROFL

The "flew under the radar" because their music was pop cliche garbage.

patteeu
10-19-2018, 09:56 PM

You seem to have limited musical tastes. That surprises me a little bit.

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 09:57 PM
You seem to have limited musical tastes. That surprises me a little bit.

Yeah, I'm limited to stuff that isn't crap. I have a couple thousand CDs but none of them are The Traveling freaking Wilburys. LOL

patteeu
10-19-2018, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I'm limited to stuff that isn't crap. I have a couple thousand CDs but none of them are The Traveling freaking Wilburys. LOL

Are they all the same CD?

Nzoner
10-19-2018, 10:06 PM

Thank God music is subjective

Since were talking greats what's your take on....

Joe Bonamassa
Porcupine Tree
RPWL
Alabama3

Easy 6
10-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Really not getting why the Stones are leading this poll

Havent we all had enough of them and their stupid ticket prices by now?

Cynical 80 year old geezers going through the motions, enough

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 10:34 PM
Thank God music is subjective

Since were talking greats what's your take on....

Joe Bonamassa
Porcupine Tree
RPWL
Alabama3

I love Joe. I have a copy of BCC Afterglow (big fan of Glenn Hughes) somewhere.

I never really got into Porcupine Tree. Blackest Eyes is a good example of why. The song starts out awesome. Heavy, a little doomy, nice hook and then at about the 1 minute mark, boom - REM. I get that it's "prog" but that's one of the reasons I can't get into prog.

Have to admit, I haven't heard of the other two.

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 10:36 PM
When it comes to prog, this is more my style...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0jpOBd949O4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 10:48 PM
And for the record, I guarantee you 90% of the stuff I listen to on a daily basis would get boo'd here, so yeah, it's totally subjective. :D

Nzoner
10-19-2018, 11:14 PM
Have to admit, I haven't heard of the other two.

RPWL was a former (German) Pink Floyd cover band that started making their own and damn glad they did.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PXmDC1ukpVo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/INLKsHSwQb4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
10-19-2018, 11:19 PM
I'm about 2 minutes into Breathe In, Breathe Out and I gotta say that's pretty friggin cool.

Rain Man
10-20-2018, 12:11 AM

If a collaboration of a Beatle, Tom Petty, the founder of ELO, Roy Orbison, and Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan doesn't meet your standards, then rock and roll might not be for you.

Rain Man
10-20-2018, 12:12 AM
Really not getting why the Stones are leading this poll

Havent we all had enough of them and their stupid ticket prices by now?

Cynical 80 year old geezers going through the motions, enough

Yeah, this is killing me. We need more Ben Folds votes.

Rasputin
10-20-2018, 02:58 AM
Kieth Richards is 10 years dead but he doesn't know that.

htismaqe
10-20-2018, 01:31 PM
If a collaboration of a Beatle, Tom Petty, the founder of ELO, Roy Orbison, and Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan doesn't meet your standards, then rock and roll might not be for you.

All of them are Hall of Famers but just because they each took a dump and pressed it into 180 gram vinyl doesn't mean it's good music.

Even the all-time greats eventually have a "Dynasty" moment.

Nzoner
10-21-2018, 06:26 AM
All of them are Hall of Famers but just because they each took a dump and pressed it into 180 gram vinyl doesn't mean it's good music.

Even the all-time greats eventually have a "Dynasty" moment.

IMO the song Margarita on the first project had a great lyric,"She wrote a long letter,on a short piece of paper."

Again,music is subjective and I'm very glad for that,it'd be a pretty damn boring world if we all liked the same thing.

Rain Man
10-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Stones and Eagles move on.

You heathens destroyed my hopes for a great Ben Folds halftime show.