PDA

View Full Version : Poop Monday Night Football... what to do with it

JD10367
10-22-2018, 06:16 AM
Tonight's barn-burner between the 1-5 Giants and 2-4 Falcons brings up the annual question... what to do with the shitshow that MNF has become? SNF has surpassed it due to the ability to flex teams from the morning/afternoon slot into the evening slot.

I think there are three ideas:

1) Get rid of MNF altogether. But the NFL would never do this due to the loss of revenue. That leaves two viable options:

2) Add a second MNF game, and air them both. They do it for the first Monday anyway (although that is two games at different times, whereas I suggest just having two games at the same time). This doubles your chances of not having a crap matchup like tonight's. Air the better matchup on ESPN and air the crappier one only on the home teams' local over-the-air stations (like they do with Thursday Night Football games). And if your good matchup turns to a blowout and suddenly the second-tier game is close, switch over (again, for everyone except the home teams of the first matchup). They do it on Sundays all the time.

3) Allow the NFL to flex teams off Sunday altogether. Is it really that big of a deal? They already have no problems flexing a 1pm game to an 8:30pm game. I'm sure true fans would understand if their ticketed game got flexed to Monday night... hell, most true fans would probably love it, and the few who don't should have no problem pawning off their tickets (since if you're flexed it means your team is probably doing well).

Eleazar
10-22-2018, 06:35 AM
Like the NFL is going to eliminate the Monday night game. Sheesh.

#CPthings :shake:

lawrenceRaider
10-22-2018, 06:59 AM
MNF is unwatchable and has been for years. ESPN ruined it, which is fairly bizzare since they did a good job with SNF for years. Fix would likely be to take it away from ESPN.

rico
10-22-2018, 07:01 AM
Flex it.

Reerun_KC
10-22-2018, 07:03 AM
Add second game.

ChiefGator
10-22-2018, 07:07 AM
Flex it.. at least the last 6-8 MNF games.

Prison Bitch
10-22-2018, 07:07 AM
Add second game.

Terrible idea^

Why Not?
10-22-2018, 07:18 AM
Isn't MNF still the highest rated program every Monday? You think that the NFL really GAF about the quality of the matchup? If it's an obvious flex layup like this past Sunday night, fine, but for the most part the NFL knows most everyone is gonna watch anyway.

Best22
10-22-2018, 07:22 AM
MNF gets better ratings than MLB playoffs and Lebeon James, yet people think it’s failing??

The NFL is absolutely rolling

Fish
10-22-2018, 07:25 AM
It's fine, quit whining.

Reerun_KC
10-22-2018, 07:25 AM
Isn't MNF still the highest rated program every Monday? You think that the NFL really GAF about the quality of the matchup? If it's an obvious flex layup like this past Sunday night, fine, but for the most part the NFL knows most everyone is gonna watch anyway.

And east coast then a west coast MNF game would be awesome. Hopefully one of the two games would be worth watching.

Why Not?
10-22-2018, 07:36 AM
And east coast then a west coast MNF game would be awesome. Hopefully one of the two games would be worth watching.

On principle I agree. However to have it make sense and to avoid having overlap(the NFL, and about any other business in the world is not going to compete against itself when it already has the whole market owned)you'd have to rotate weekly between the CA teams, Seattle, and the Cardinals. Maybe Denver.

CaliforniaChief
10-22-2018, 07:38 AM
1. Get rid of Thursday night.
2. Flex MNF.
3. Bring back Sergio Dipp.

Danguardace
10-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Pretty Much no may you can Flex MNF is there? not fair on people who make plans to travel.

End of the day isn't Monday Football primarily for the gamblers?

pugsnotdrugs19
10-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Leave it. You can’t help that the Falcons are brutally beaten by injuries and Eli’s decline is in full acceleration. Shit happens.

Some weeks you get this, but one week you get Rams/KC.

Deberg_1990
10-22-2018, 08:07 AM
SNF has surpassed it due to the ability to flex teams from the morning/afternoon slot into the evening slot.

When SNF came about 15 years ago or so, the decision was made by the NFL to give them the 'big games'

ESPN tries to hype it up but the reality is the NFL gives the big games to Sunday night now.

SNF is what MNF used to be. ESPN will never admit that though....

Sannyasi
10-22-2018, 08:09 AM
I hate to say leave it alone but I don't know what you do with it honestly. Worse than the games is the actual MNF production. It just sucks now. SNF is killing MNF.

highBOLTage
10-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Scrap it. Just show Patrick Mahomes highlights for 3 hours with Jason Witten commenting about all the animals Mahomes pulls out of his body.

lcarus
10-22-2018, 08:12 AM
Put it back on ABC after reruns of original MacGyver. LIKE ITS DAMNED SUPPOSED TO BE.

Deberg_1990
10-22-2018, 07:50 PM
Put it back on ABC after reruns of original MacGyver. LIKE ITS DAMNED SUPPOSED TO BE.

Hardcastle and McCormick at 7, followed by Monday Night Football at 8. Raiders vs Dolphins!

htismaqe
10-22-2018, 07:52 PM

THIS!

Mecca
10-22-2018, 07:54 PM
They just have a really hard time guessing who are going to be the good teams so we end up with bad games.

I'm sure if we did it we'd end up with bad games too cause no one fucking knows what's gonna happen.

Bearcat
10-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Most of the NFL is a shitshow, but people eat it up.... so, nothing? :shrug:

Sofa King
10-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Get rid of Carrie Fucking Underwood from singing anything before a game, ever. God damn she ruins the mood.

Graystoke
10-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Get rid of Carrie ****ing Underwood from singing anything before a game, ever. God damn she ruins the mood.

Oh man! This all day.
And move MNF to Tuesday’s, that’s my garbage day and I like shit to be sorted

DRM08
10-22-2018, 08:21 PM
Leave it. You can’t help that the Falcons are brutally beaten by injuries and Eli’s decline is in full acceleration. Shit happens.

Some weeks you get this, but one week you get Rams/KC.

Giants had the #2 draft pick after going 3-13 last year. That kind of suckage doesn't go away overnight. This was going to be a shit matchup no matter what.

Mecca
10-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Giants had the #2 draft pick after going 3-13 last year. That kind of suckage doesn't go away overnight. This was going to be a shit matchup no matter what.

That market is going to get a couple prime time games, shitty yes but it's the truth.

The Patriots will have them when Brady is gone and they win like 3 games.

htismaqe
10-22-2018, 08:24 PM

Saquon.

Barkley.

htismaqe
10-22-2018, 08:24 PM
That market is going to get a couple prime time games, shitty yes but it's the truth.

The Patriots will have them when Brady is gone and they win like 3 games.

Yep.

Rain Man
10-22-2018, 09:17 PM
If you flex games, the stupid networks will just give us the Patriots, Steelers, and Packers every week because they think those teams are marketable to non-football fans. They should pick the games randomly and then don't mess with them.

Bump
10-22-2018, 09:19 PM
get rid of Thursday Night Football and stop playing games in London.

Maine
10-22-2018, 09:21 PM

:clap:

Yehoodi
10-22-2018, 09:25 PM
There are a handful of reason why MNF is not as good as it used to be . . .

The NFL has spread itself too thin at its now has basically 4 slots for prime time/only game on - London, SNF, MNF, and TNF. Not enough to go around. It is tough to get 4 "good" attractive game each weekend to spread out. MNF used to be the only one in town.

SNF gets preference over MNF. Also, SNF gets flexed so we do not see the "bad" SNF games late in the year.

In the salary cap era, it is tough to predict year to year who is going to be good the following year for scheduling purposes.

ESPN likely does not have the pull that the other networks have to get the good games.

I would keep it and let the fans decide if they want to watch it. The NFL is beginning to saturate the market and fans will now tune out a game or two, and MNF or TNF are the ones fans might tune out. I still like MNF to watch here and there

htismaqe
10-22-2018, 09:33 PM

They're not going to stop playing games in London. The time zone difference allows them to have a full 12 hours of football on Sundays.

They've started running Thursday night games on OTA. They need to do the same with MNF.

All of the games should be OTA.

gold_and_red
10-22-2018, 09:50 PM
Make playoff teams from the previous season appear on SNF and MNF in the first 4-5 weeks then flex based on current record.

Hoover
10-22-2018, 10:21 PM
keep Thursday night, get rid of MNF

Dayze
10-23-2018, 07:01 AM

LMAO

Dayze
10-23-2018, 07:08 AM
Get rid of TNF.
but that won't happen.

So get rid of Witten, and get Booger in there or put Louis Riddick in the booth with Tesitore.

NFL is overstaturated ,and has been for years. if the NFL could put a game on TV every night of the week, they would.
MNF used to be special. Now, with SNF and TNF....MNF is sort of 'meh'.
I hate the SNF broadcast. Not only Collinsworth, but all the camera angles, live action camera after a score where a guy runs out onto the field with a camera to capture everything. Carrie Underwood.
It's the broadcast equivalent to the TV show "Friends" , and autotune.
Feels complete fake, and not like a real football broadcast.

MNF's problem is they've swung and missesd on their on-air personalities. Gruden, and now Witten.

I was fine with Tirico, and I like Tesitore (though when I hear his voice I think of boxing, and a game a played the jesus out of "Fight Night"). I like that they've gone back to a sideline/Paul McGwire type with Booger.

Why Not?
10-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Sometimes you're just gonna get a shit game. I find it deliciously ironic that the NFL and NBC flexed out of Rams/Niners in part to avoid making America watch a blowout, only to display an even bigger blowout! Obviously the main draw was to give the country another chance to watch our offense(man, how cool!)but you know the league and network wanted at least a semi competitive game

ILChief
10-23-2018, 08:21 AM
https://twitter.com/barstoolbigcat/status/1054550219021541378?s=21

ILChief
10-23-2018, 08:23 AM
Look at the remaining MNF schedule. Besides chiefs/Rams it is absolutely horrible

ILChief
10-23-2018, 08:29 AM
I don't want to get rid of it. Maybe it's nostalgia. I grew up with Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, and Dan Dierdorf in the MNF booth. It used to be special and was often the game of the week. Really went down hill when it moved off ABC. Sunday night is now what Monday night used to be. SNF used to be the crap game. It used to be on TNT I believe

htismaqe
10-23-2018, 08:30 AM
I don't want to get rid of it. Maybe it's nostalgia. I grew up with Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, and Dan Dierdorf in the MNF booth. It used to be special and was often the game of the week. Really went down hill when it moved off ABC. Sunday night is now what Monday night used to be. SNF used to be the crap game. It used to be on TNT I believe

Like I said a couple of weeks ago when discussing the MNF football crew, moving the game from ABC to ESPN loaded the gun and hiring the goofs ESPN hires pulled the trigger.

If MNF is ever going to be great again, get it off cable and back on OTA. Start there.

Why Not?
10-23-2018, 08:33 AM
Look at the remaining MNF schedule. Besides chiefs/Rams it is absolutely horrible

Man, you ain't lying. Couple of decent-ish games after Chiefs v Rams but mostly straight trash, topped off with spending your Christmas Eve watching a maybe 5/6 win Denver team against most likely a 1-2 win Raiders team. Happy Holidays, everyone!!!!

ILChief
10-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Man, you ain't lying. Couple of decent-ish games after Chiefs v Rams but mostly straight trash, topped off with spending your Christmas Eve watching a maybe 5/6 win Denver team against most likely a 1-2 win Raiders team. Happy Holidays, everyone!!!!

Giants vs 49ers

O.city
10-23-2018, 08:39 AM
Where was this thread after the Chiefs Broncos game?

Easy answer, have better teams. It happens with injuries and shit sometimes.

DRM08
10-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Sometimes you're just gonna get a shit game. I find it deliciously ironic that the NFL and NBC flexed out of Rams/Niners in part to avoid making America watch a blowout, only to display an even bigger blowout! Obviously the main draw was to give the country another chance to watch our offense(man, how cool!)but you know the league and network wanted at least a semi competitive game

It is pretty amusing how it worked out. I don’t think anyone expected the Chiefs defense to shut down the Bengals offense. On paper it seemed like they could have a fun shootout.

FloridaMan88
10-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Having freaking Buffalo on MNF next week certainly won't help their viewership.

At least MNF has the regular season match-up of the year in a few weeks... Chiefs-Rams.

lcarus
10-23-2018, 09:43 AM
Here's a slimy hole for your nostalgia chubby.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ONcq6XT56Ss/maxresdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4ISFUy-z5I8/hqdefault.jpg

Make it happen NFL.