PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Supersong Tournament: Round 4, Heat 1 - the Championship (PICK TWO)

Rain Man
10-26-2018, 08:55 AM
We are down to the final four musical acts.

Since we know that a big goal of the Super Bowl halftime show is to have broad appeal, we'll keep the same system here as in previous rounds. Pick your top TWO musical acts, and the one with the most votes (1st or 2nd place - doesn't matter) will be the headline act, while the 2nd-largest vote getter will make a cameo.

So go, people. Vote for your top two acts, and we'll see who the Chiefs dance to at halftime.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3ov9jWLbdZISvS7RCM" width="480" height="261" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/nfl-football-touchdown-3ov9jWLbdZISvS7RCM">via GIPHY</a></p>

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/xtmOl5kPXboqcwAVfm" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/nfl-football-touchdown-kareem-hunt-xtmOl5kPXboqcwAVfm">via GIPHY</a></p>

Rain Man
10-26-2018, 09:01 AM
My winners:

1. The Eagles. I honestly have no idea what songs they would do in a Super Bowl, but I like them so I'll vote for them.

2. Garth Brooks. I'm not that familiar with him, but I figure a country act might chase away some of the hipsters wearing Patriots jerseys. But who am I kidding - they won't watch a Chiefs Super Bowl anyway.

My non-winners.

3. Metallica. I continue to have a tossup vote between Garth Brooks and Metallica. I could have easily voted for them in the #2 spot.

4. Foo Fighters. Get off of my lawn.

htismaqe
10-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Time to send Low Places to the Hotel California and watch them both fall off into the Pacific.

Old Dog
10-26-2018, 11:09 AM
Garth and The Eagles

carcosa
10-26-2018, 11:22 AM
I vote to discontinue music altogether

LoneWolf
10-26-2018, 11:42 AM
Literally thousands of musical acts to choose from and CP comes up with Garth, The Eagles, Foo Fighters, and Paul McCartney. :rolleyes:

I can’t wait for the poll deciding what your last meal would be. It would probably come down to bowl of soup vs. bologna sandwich.

ClevelandBronco
10-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Metallica would be my third choice in almost any conceivable group of three. I just never got what they were trying to do.

ptlyon
10-26-2018, 11:50 AM
I can’t wait for the poll deciding what your last meal would be. It would probably come down to bowl of soup vs. bologna sandwich.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup, obviously

Coochie liquor
10-26-2018, 11:59 AM
Grilled cheese and tomato soup, obviously

Green bean casserole?

patteeu
10-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Metallica and Foo Fighters are getting up in age, but I think they’d have more energy than Garth Brooks and the surviving Eagles, so they get my votes.

ptlyon
10-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Green bean casserole?

HAM LOAVES!!!

And a fucking cream soda.

rico
10-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Garth Brooks and FF.

Rain Man
10-29-2018, 09:51 AM
And the planet speaks. The Super Bowl halftime performance will be headlined by the Foo Fighters, with a special cameo appearance by Metallica. Rock on.

luv
10-29-2018, 01:45 PM
WOOHOO! Foo Fighters! I voted for Garth, too, but I can handle Metallica.

Rain Man
10-29-2018, 01:49 PM
WOOHOO! Foo Fighters! I voted for Garth, too, but I can handle Metallica.

So would you applaud this show? I'm wondering how people would react if this was the announced show.

Personally, I would look blankly at the screen. They're not terrible, but they're not who I would have picked (Ben Folds/Billy Joel piano duel).

htismaqe
10-29-2018, 01:51 PM
So would you applaud this show? I'm wondering how people would react if this was the announced show.

Personally, I would look blankly at the screen. They're not terrible, but they're not who I would have picked (Ben Folds/Billy Joel piano duel).

I might actually watch a halftime show of Metallica/Foo Fighters, which can't be said for any of the others, real or imagined.

luv
10-29-2018, 02:32 PM

What's kind of cool is that there was a boy at a FF concert that got to go up on stage. I'd guess him to be 10-12. David asked him if he knew how to play guitar, and the boy said yes. He put his guitar on the kid, and asked what he knew how to play. The kid said he knew Metallica, so David had him play. The band followed his league, and David sang a few few vocals. It was pretty cool. When they were done, David gave the kid his guitar.

ClevelandBronco
10-29-2018, 03:11 PM
What's on Netflix?

patteeu
10-29-2018, 03:18 PM
The piano duel would have been good. A Dropkick Murphys / Bruce Springsteen combo would have been good. And I still think Weird Al would find a way to entertain. Maybe combine him with Taylor Swift and Lil Dicky.

luv
10-29-2018, 03:21 PM
The piano duel would have been good. A Dropkick Murphys / Bruce Springsteen combo would have been good. And I still think Weird Al would find a way to entertain. Maybe combine him with Taylor Swift and Lil Dicky.

I follow Weird Al on Facebook, and he's doing a new tour next year called "All Strings Attached". There will be a live orchestra at all of his shows, a big screen, etc. He definitely knows how to entertain. I would love to go see him live.

patteeu
10-29-2018, 03:24 PM
I follow Weird Al on Facebook, and he's doing a new tour next year called "All Strings Attached". There will be a live orchestra at all of his shows, a big screen, etc. He definitely knows how to entertain. I would love to go see him live.

I just saw him for the first time a few months ago in Columbia, MO. My expectations were low. I considered myself a casual Weird Al fan at most. I thought the show delivered way beyond my expectations. I'm always surprised at the people in the audience who know all the words to all the artist's songs, but they were there at the Weird Al show.

Rain Man
10-29-2018, 03:28 PM
I just saw him for the first time a few months ago in Columbia, MO. My expectations were low. I considered myself a casual Weird Al fan at most. I thought the show delivered way beyond my expectations. I'm always surprised at the people in the audience who know all the words to all the artist's songs, but they were there at the Weird Al show.

What are the demographics of a Weird Al audience? I can make a number of guesses, but they would only be guesses.

Rain Man
10-29-2018, 03:29 PM

Honestly, I would prefer any of those groupings over our consensus choice. I guess I'm not a mainstream music listener, when I always thought I was the most mainstream of music listeners.

luv
10-29-2018, 03:50 PM

He commented that this year's tour was comparably low-key compared to what next year will be. I'm looking forward to the announcement of tour dates and hoping that the cost of tickets isn't astronomical.

patteeu
10-29-2018, 04:17 PM
What are the demographics of a Weird Al audience? I can make a number of guesses, but they would only be guesses.

It seems like there were a lot of people in their 40s and 50s. It was dark but I think they were mostly white. I sat next to a father/son combo (I think) where the son was probably in his mid to upper 20s. An older lady (50s, probably) who was all dressed up was on the other side of those two, but I think she was with another group.