PDA

View Full Version : Football Dee Ford named AFC Defensive Player of the Month

chiefs1111
11-01-2018, 08:25 AM
The Chiefs have a defense too.

And Dee Ford is a big part of it.

The Chiefs outside linebacker was named AFC defensive player of the month, with six sacks and four forced fumbles in October alone.

Ford has eight sacks so far this season, and is playing incredibly well in his contract year. That means he’s about to win a huge pile of money as a free agent soon, in addition to a monthly honor.

And with his consistent pressure, the Chiefs may be closer to taking the next step as a team, on the off chance their offense ever has an off day.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/01/dee-ford-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-month/

Hydrae
11-01-2018, 08:52 AM
Amazing what a contract year can do to a guy.

KChiefs1
11-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Still don’t trust him.

TambaBerry
11-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Amazing what a contract year can do to a guy.

i really believe this is just a made up thing, could they play harder in their last year sure but if they played well the entire life of the contract then they would demand a huge contract. See Aaron Donald, people are talking about wanting to franchise tag Dee Ford to make him prove that he can do it consistently.

Lzen
11-01-2018, 09:18 AM
I don't believe it's the contract year that has Dee Ford playing so well. It's simply the fact that he's healthy. The health issues he's had are what concerns me about giving him a big, long term contract.

htismaqe
11-01-2018, 09:20 AM
i really believe this is just a made up thing, could they play harder in their last year sure but if they played well the entire life of the contract then they would demand a huge contract. See Aaron Donald, people are talking about wanting to franchise tag Dee Ford to make him prove that he can do it consistently.

I want to tag him so that he can continue to play for us. I'd tag him twice if I could, and then let him go.

I'm not paying a guy with chronic back issues. Ever.

SuperBowl4
11-01-2018, 09:21 AM
The heart and soul of the CHIEFS DEEfense!

CoMoChief
11-01-2018, 09:43 AM

So you admit it's NOT just a made up thing?

Because players, if healthy, generally do play better during a contract yr.

Ford just can't stay healthy ever. And that also matters. Chiefs have been recent repeat victims of contract extensions = players ridin' the pine.

Make Ford do it again under the tag, get another good season out of him. Maybe by some miracle act of God, Speaks will have dropped a shit load of weight by then, gains strength/muscle, and gains the much needed quickness in his game so that letting Ford walk in 2020 won't be such a hard pill to swallow with 2 seasons/offseasons under his belt. Wishful thinking...

I do not think Ford, Berry, AND Houston will all 3 be Chiefs next season. 1 of those players will be gone. Personally I think its Berry. I think the Chiefs go after Collins in FA and Berry ends up being a post June 1 cut.

TambaBerry
11-01-2018, 09:48 AM
So you admit it's NOT just a made up thing?

Because players, if healthy, generally do play better during a contract yr.

Ford just can't stay healthy ever. And that also matters. Chiefs have been recent repeat victims of contract extensions = players ridin' the pine.

Make Ford do it again under the tag, get another good season out of him. Maybe by some miracle act of God, Speaks will have dropped a shit load of weight by then, gains strength/muscle, and gains the much needed quickness in his game so that letting Ford walk in 2020 won't be such a hard pill to swallow with 2 seasons/offseasons under his belt. Wishful thinking...

I do not think Ford, Berry, AND Houston will all 3 be Chiefs next season. 1 of those players will be gone. Personally I think its Berry. I think the Chiefs go after Collins in FA and Berry ends up being a post June 1 cut.

There are multiple articles and studies done proving otherwise

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 09:50 AM
NFL thrown' him a bone in a contract year. MF'ers. It's a conspiracy to make the Chiefs overpay!

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Also, Dee Ford doesn't look any different this year than any other year. He's just on the field more this year.

He's been the same guy for the past few years now. And even in his "healthy" season he's still getting beat up.

Dee has never been a talent/effort/character issue. He's been a health issue.

carcosa
11-01-2018, 09:56 AM
Also, Dee Ford doesn't look any different this year than any other year. He's just on the field more this year.

He's been the same guy for the past few years now. And even in his "healthy" season he's still getting beat up.

Dee has never been a talent/effort/character issue. He's been a health issue.

yip

Buckweath
11-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Dee Ford is doing what Steven Nelson hoped he himself would be doing lol.

Nelson hasn't been bad but he made some Chiefs fans dream prior to the season, with the way he was saying his time had arrived.

htismaqe
11-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Dee Ford is doing what Steven Nelson hoped he himself would be doing lol.

Nelson hasn't been bad but he made some Chiefs fans dream prior to the season, with the way he was saying his time had arrived.

Nelson's time has arrived.

Just a tad early and tugging on a jersey...

Mecca
11-01-2018, 10:03 AM
He did get his back fixed finally after having years of issues with it.

htismaqe
11-01-2018, 10:05 AM
He did get his back fixed finally after having years of issues with it.

I don't think back problems are ever truly "fixed". That's just me though.

O.city
11-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Back issues are scary.

If I did a deal it would be short.

The Franchise
11-01-2018, 10:10 AM
I wonder if we could afford a deal like Watkins for him....or if he would take one like that. I don't mean the same amount of money... I mean how it's structured.

Something along the lines of a 3 year deal. He's 27 now....so that would allow him to hit FA again at around 30 and cash in one more time.

staylor26
11-01-2018, 10:15 AM
I don't think back problems are ever truly "fixed". That's just me though.

Back issues are scary.

If I did a deal it would be short.

Not that it still doesn’t concern me, but I remember people saying the same thing about Poe and he’s actually been healthy since.

Reerun_KC
11-01-2018, 10:17 AM
Still not worth a contract going forward. We have enough Brokedicks in Houston and Berry eating up cap and producing jack and shit.

Younger faster cheaper is always better than sentimental jersey players.

philfree
11-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Dee's back trouble. My diagnoses is he needs to stay off the piano bench. Sitting in the wrong places on the wrong surfaces will screw up one's back.

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Not that it still doesn’t concern me, but I remember people saying the same thing about Poe and he’s actually been healthy since.

But has he been as effective?

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Still not worth a contract going forward. We have enough Brokedicks in Houston and Berry eating up cap and producing jack and shit.

Younger faster cheaper is always better than sentimental jersey players.

No one has sentiment towards Dee Ford. He is younger and faster. The talent is there. It's a matter of whether you believe he can stay healthy.

Reerun_KC
11-01-2018, 10:22 AM
No one has sentiment towards Dee Ford. He is younger and faster. The talent is there. It's a matter of whether you believe he can stay healthy.

He can’t, he’s proved that.

Do not waste cap space after franchise tag for one more year.

staylor26
11-01-2018, 10:26 AM
But has he been as effective?

PFF has him as average, but he’s still starting and Carolina is 6th against the run, and he was pretty good the two years prior to that.

htismaqe
11-01-2018, 10:27 AM
PFF has him as average, but he’s still starting and Carolina is 6th against the run, and he was pretty good the two years prior to that.

You answered my question. I seem to remember him being underwhelming in Atlanta and that's why they let him go. I could be wrong though.

staylor26
11-01-2018, 10:33 AM
You answered my question. I seem to remember him being underwhelming in Atlanta and that's why they let him go. I could be wrong though.

Nope, he got an even bigger contract in Carolina after the 1 year deal in ATL. He was one of the top FA’s that year.

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 10:34 AM

Well, whatever he did in ATL, he parlayed that year into a 3 year $27M contract with Carolina. So musta done something right.

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Regardless, Poe is an exception not the rule. Back issues tend to linger.

I heard a great quote the other day regarding Deshaun Watson, and it applies to everyone really, "You don't get MORE healthy in the NFL".

O.city
11-01-2018, 10:42 AM
I'd imagine Ford looks for something similar to what Ingram got.

4/64 34 gtd.

I'm not sure that's something I'd be overly excited to do but I'll be damned if he hasnt' been a frickin monster this year.

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 10:44 AM

4/64 34 gtd.

I'm not sure that's something I'd be overly excited to do but I'll be damned if he hasnt' been a frickin monster this year.

That's really not that bad of a contract.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-01-2018, 11:01 AM
I want to tag him so that he can continue to play for us. I'd tag him twice if I could, and then let him go.

I'm not paying a guy with chronic back issues. Ever.

So, if you tag him and his back goes out in preseason you're not going to pay him his 15 million he'd be due?

CupidStunt
11-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Franchise tag all day. I wouldn't sign him to any type of long-term deal, not a f'ing chance.

The Franchise
11-01-2018, 11:10 AM

4/64 34 gtd.

I’m good with that.

htismaqe
11-01-2018, 11:16 AM
So, if you tag him and his back goes out in preseason you're not going to pay him his 15 million he'd be due?

With the tag, you're on the hook only for one year. Much, much cheaper than paying him long-term and having him go down.

htismaqe
11-01-2018, 11:17 AM

4/64 34 gtd.

No way unless it's structured so he can be cut after two years.

RunKC
11-01-2018, 11:20 AM
With the tag, you're on the hook only for one year. Much, much cheaper than paying him long-term and having him go down.

I’d listen to offers for him too. See if you can trade him before the draft.

2019 draft is stacked with really good defensive talent. We’d have Speaks, Houston, Tanoh and 3 picks in the first 64 and maybe another 2nd to go with it?

Something to consider.

O.city
11-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Trade wouldn't be a bad idea but damn, I hate getting rid of pass rushers. Especially in today's NFL, they're just so damn important.

I wouldn't be upset signing him long term or tagging him. I don't think you can count on Speaks yet and especially not Tanoh. They don't seem to play him much anyway.

The Franchise
11-01-2018, 11:25 AM
It’s not really going to matter because teams like the Raiders and the Jets are going to have a metric shit ton of cap room and will have a need for a pass rusher. Someone is going to give him a $100 million dollar contract.

Chris Meck
11-01-2018, 11:29 AM
definitely tag him. And listen to trade offers, but it'd have to be a #1

htismaqe
11-01-2018, 11:32 AM
It’s not really going to matter because teams like the Raiders and the Jets are going to have a metric shit ton of cap room and will have a need for a pass rusher. Someone is going to give him a $100 million dollar contract.

Exactly. There's no way the Chiefs should be trying to pay him like that. Let him go.