PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Rank alcohols for me.

Rain Man
11-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Okay, I'm not a drinker so maybe this is obvious, but it's not obvious to me.

There are all sorts of alcohol - beer, wine, whiskey, bourbon, rum, scotch, gin, vodka, tequila, port wines, and so on.

I recognize that there are probably big differences in brand quality within those major categories. Bud Light is different than some German monk artisanal brand. But put that aside. Let's just think about categories ACROSS types of alcohol.

What's the hierarchy of quality or prestige or whatever? Is gin generally "better" than rum? Is scotch "better" than bourbon? Is wine "better" than tequila?

Can someone give me a top to bottom rank of the "best" alcohol down to the "worst" alcohol?

Bewbies
11-01-2018, 10:49 AM
THC > all alcohol

Easy enough.

TambaBerry
11-01-2018, 10:52 AM
whiskey and bourbon > all

In58men
11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Give me some Makers Mark and we cool.

jjchieffan
11-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Okay, I'm not a drinker so maybe this is obvious, but it's not obvious to me.

There are all sorts of alcohol - beer, wine, whiskey, bourbon, rum, scotch, gin, vodka, tequila, port wines, and so on.

I recognize that there are probably big differences in brand quality within those major categories. Bud Light is different than some German monk artisanal brand. But put that aside. Let's just think about categories ACROSS types of alcohol.

What's the hierarchy of quality or prestige or whatever? Is gin generally "better" than rum? Is scotch "better" than bourbon? Is wine "better" than tequila?

Can someone give me a top to bottom rank of the "best" alcohol down to the "worst" alcohol?

Well, for starters, scotch and bourbon are both types of whiskey. So your lack of alcohol knowledge is obvious. So, since you're not a drinker, why the curiosity? Not trying to make fun of you. I'm just wondering where you're going with this!

notorious
11-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Yes.

loochy
11-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Is gin generally "better" than rum? Is scotch "better" than bourbon? Is wine "better" than tequila?

No. It's all a matter of personal taste.

For example, I like vodka the best and I like rum. I HATE HATE HATE whiskey type products...their sweet taste is absolutely disgusting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coochie liquor
11-01-2018, 11:00 AM
I never got into Gin until about a year ago. Now I love it. I try to stay with only clear alcohol and don’t like the brown alcohols too much. My list would go Gin, Tequila, Rum, Vodka.

Rasputin
I'm a Scothcoholic and my name is KC

TribalElder
free booze > non free booze

ptlyon
11-01-2018, 11:02 AM
I never got into Gin until about a year ago. Now I love it. I try to stay with only clear alcohol and don’t like the brown alcohols too much. My list would go Gin, Tequila, Rum, Vodka.

If you're ever sitting there drinking gin and then it starts to taste like a Xmas tree, don't get up. You'll just fall down anyway.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Beer
Beer
Beer
Beer
Beer
Beer
Water

TwistedChief
11-01-2018, 11:07 AM
There's no right answer and a lot of it depends on an individual's location/situation and personal preference.

Drinking some old Bordeaux wine might be perfectly fine at a gathering in NYC where Bud Light would look ridiculous.

Flip that situation and we're in the parking lot at Arrowhead. If I'm sipping fancy wine, I'm now probably a complete douche and no one gives a second thought to the guy on his 8th Bud Light.

ClevelandBronco
11-01-2018, 11:08 AM
It's all pretty subjective and answers can be influenced by the occasion. I'd start with these as the default setting for me back in the day when I imbibed:

Scotch
Tequila
Wine
Bourbon
Beer
Vodka
Rum
Gin

Note that brand quality might heavily influence the order of my answers. And while that's true, I really can't tell much of a difference between good vodka and shit vodka.

Baby Lee
11-01-2018, 11:10 AM
I don't think of alcohol in terms of worst to best, but more in terms of matching to environment.

It's kind of like asking to rank vehicles from worst to best. Is a truck 'better' than a sports car? Is a commuter jet 'better' than a mini-van?

Maybe if you could formulate more focused questions, like 'is beer or whiskey better at a picnic?'

In the mean time, here's a breakdown of the general origins of most spirits.

www.alexreisner.com/misc/distilled-spirits

Mr. Kotter
11-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Do a poll, dude....seriously. ;)

Rasputin
11-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Mexico saves the good tequila for themselves and exports shitty tequila to the United States. Not even funny.

Basileus777
11-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Note that brand quality might heavily influence the order of my answers. And while that's true, I really can't tell much of a difference between good vodka and shit vodka.
There's a difference between bottom of the barrel stuff and everything else, but premium vodka is a scam. If I'm spending more than $25 for a handle, I feel like I'm being ripped off.

Chiefnj2
11-01-2018, 11:12 AM
100% personal preference, usually influenced by prior bad experiences.

Rain Man
11-01-2018, 11:13 AM

It's all pretty subjective and answers can be influenced by the occasion. I'd start with these as the default setting for me back in the day when I imbibed:

Scotch
Tequila
Wine
Bourbon
Beer
Vodka
Rum
Gin

I always kind of figured that gin was at the bottom of the list because I remember reading about England having a bunch of alcoholism problems when gin became available to the masses. I assumed that was because it was cheap. But when someone orders a gin and tonic in a bar today, I don't necessarily feel like they're slumming, so I wondered if I unfairly maligned gin.

Beef Supreme
11-01-2018, 11:15 AM
I thought Rain Man was gonna list alcohols he considers rank.

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 11:17 AM
I'm a Whisky & Brandy guy. I think Gin is disgusting.

Rasputin
11-01-2018, 11:18 AM
100% personal preference, usually influenced by prior bad experiences.

I'll never drink Hot Damn again :shake: /1994

Rain Man
11-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Well, for starters, scotch and bourbon are both types of whiskey. So your lack of alcohol knowledge is obvious. So, since you're not a drinker, why the curiosity? Not trying to make fun of you. I'm just wondering where you're going with this!

I'm really just curious, and wondering if my teetotaler life makes me ignorant on this topic.

They're all variants on the same thing, so logically it seems like one would be at the top of the heap and one would be the slumming version and everything else would shake out in between. But I never really hear it talked about that way.

I'm seeing a lot of comments so far that they're all generally equal and it depends on taste. I guess I can see that, and I like the analogy of comparing types of vehicles.

It just seems to me that if I go into some mega-rich Rothschild guy's mahogany-paneled library, and he opens up his 16th-century world globe and pours some drinks out of a decanter, there should be some type of alcohol that I'd expect and some type that surprises me. But I don't know which ones those would be.

Graystoke
11-01-2018, 11:21 AM
Gin must be an acquired taste because I have never liked it.
I do like the scent of it, but that is it.

Alcohol favorites depend on the season. I mean I don't like a Bourbon when I am out on a sandbar on a nice summer day, that is beer time.
And conversely on a cold winter night I don't crave a cold beer, I want a nice smooth bourbon.
Wines I don't know shit about. My wife does and she likes the high dollar variety.

BWillie
11-01-2018, 11:22 AM
THC > all alcohol

Easy enough.

I don't really like feeling tired and wanting to just sit in one spot. Then feeling borderline paranoid. That is what weed does for me. With alcohol - I feel happy & joyful - at least for a while and then I feel like shit. But it is great while it lasts!

KCUnited
It just seems to me that if I go into some mega-rich Rothschild guy's mahogany-paneled library, and he opens up his 16th-century world globe and pours some drinks out of a decanter, there should be some type of alcohol that I'd expect and some type that surprises me. But I don't know which ones those would be.

The scarcest.

BWillie
I also don't understand whisky - any brand. It all tastes like shit. I like vodka and rum, though.

Kiimo
11-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Rum is for teenagers and schlubs. You should never drink rum.

That said you absolutely drink rum in one setting and that is on the beach in South Florida. But even then you should sack up and drink tequila probably.

ModSocks
I don't really like feeling tired and wanting to just sit in one spot. Then feeling borderline paranoid. That is what weed does for me. With alcohol - I feel happy & joyful - at least for a while and then I feel like shit. But it is great while it lasts!

The correct answer is both. Get high af and then sit down with a glass of whiskey.....twiiiiisttted.

Baby Lee
I'm really just curious, and wondering if my teetotaler life makes me ignorant on this topic.

They're all variants on the same thing, so logically it seems like one would be at the top of the heap and one would be the slumming version and everything else would shake out in between. But I never really hear it talked about that way.

I'm seeing a lot of comments so far that they're all generally equal and it depends on taste. I guess I can see that, and I like the analogy of comparing types of vehicles.

If you're looking for the 'Rothschild' level, I'd say Aged Irish Whiskeys and French Bordeaux are the two 'secret flask' spirits.

But most of it is about the level of curation within the subgenre, and pairing with food and situation. As opposed to one genre being blanket superior.

KCUnited
11-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Jeppson's Malört
Everything else

Rasputin
11-01-2018, 11:24 AM
I hated that commercial Taste Great / Less Filling where people are arguing over why to drink a beer. Can it taste great and be less filling ? I don't know

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 11:25 AM
I also don't understand whisky - any brand. It all tastes like shit. I like vodka and rum, though.

Bleh. Not a Vodka guy and Rum is too sweet.

Crown Royal is my go to whisky and i drink it out of an American flag decorated stainless flask.

#hellamanly

Baby Lee
11-01-2018, 11:31 AM
I hated that commercial Taste Great / Less Filling where people are arguing over why to drink a beer. Can it taste great and be less filling ? I don't know

That campaign started back when 'Lite' beers were as disparaged as 'near beer' is today.

Like with diet soda, the presumption is, if you focus on cutting calories, you aren't concentrating on maximizing flavor.

CervezaChill
11-01-2018, 11:31 AM
I only drink Fireball on the rocks, don't judge.

Easy 6
11-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Beer, rum, vodka and real tequila for me

Just cant do the rest, whiskey type products turn my stomach and gin is like drinking a pine tree... no thanks

fan4ever
11-01-2018, 11:38 AM
I enjoy all types of alcohol mostly but I find a craft beer gets me that nice mellow buzz much quicker than a mixed drink. Perhaps it's the sugar, etc. but it's not even close for me (of course I mix diet coke with most of my mixed drink so less sugar).

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 11:39 AM
I don't do beer anymore now that i've adapted to whisky.

A half pint of decent whisky will get you better buzz much faster than a 6 pack of cheap beer, costs about the same and you don't get all gassy, beer gut and have to piss 5 times in the process.

Kiimo
11-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Craft beer and most beer is good but these days I have about a 3-4 beer limit before I'm full and bloated and have to switch to whiskey or vodka.

Vodka sodas are easily the most frequent drink of choice but vodka doesn't have a "taste" per se, other than the taste of alcohol.

The best flavors belong to the whiskey family and it isn't close. Some people will try to say tequila but those people are just drunk, don't listen to them. Whiskey is like wine in that it has flavors that take years to accurately be able to identify.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-01-2018, 11:43 AM
I do love a Beefeater Gin Martini. though haven't had one in years

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Craft beer and most beer is good but these days I have about a 3-4 beer limit before I'm full and bloated and have to switch to whiskey or vodka.

Vodka sodas are easily the most frequent drink of choice but vodka doesn't have a "taste" per se, other than the taste of alcohol.

The best flavors belong to the whiskey family and it isn't close. Some people will try to say tequila but those people are just drunk, don't listen to them. Whiskey is like wine in that it has flavors that take years to accurately be able to identify.

Man, just skip the beer and go straight to the whisky. The extra bloat, time, and calories just aren't worth it.

I also find it's much easier to "ride the buzz" with alcohol.

I don't know about you guys, but when i drink beer, i can see its effects on my body the next morning.

Kiimo
11-01-2018, 11:47 AM
I uh get a little nuts and then have a pretty bad hangover when I do nothing but whiskey.

I maintain much better with Vodka. Gin I have an intolerance with the sulfites and tequila makes me take my clothes off in public so it's mostly vodka for me.

Frosty
11-01-2018, 11:48 AM

I've never been much of a drinker. When I hit my 50s, there was some research that said a little alcohol now and then was actually healthful (later research now says "nah") so I thought "WTH, I'll try some cocktails now and then". What I found was instead of getting buzzed and hyped like when I was a teenager, all alcohol does for me now is make me sleepy. Definitely not a fun thing anymore.

Bwana
11-01-2018, 11:48 AM
It's very subjective, which is why there are so many kinds of alcohol and styles. There is no single alcohol that does it for everyone. I'm more of a beer guy, I brewed it for years and brewed several different styles. If I go to a bar and order a beer, it's generally a pale ale, a nut brown, or a red. I'm not very giddy about IPA's, but a lot of people love them. I enjoy a good stout or porter as well, but a lot of people don't.

BigBeauford
11-01-2018, 11:51 AM
THC > all alcohol

Easy enough.

This for sure. Otherwise top shelf tequila is hard to beat.

Frosty
11-01-2018, 11:52 AM
I will say that hard cider is this generation's wine coolers.

Kiimo
11-01-2018, 11:53 AM
There's a severe lack of wine appreciation in this thread, by the way.

Then again I didn't really get into it much when I lived in Kansas either.

Now that wine country is a little over an hour drive away I've gotten into it and the whole culture is great.

The best thing about Solvang, for instance, is everyone shows up and starts the day all classy and sophisticated when they're tasting wine and by the end of the night everyone is hammered and stumbling all over town. It's pretty hilarious. Sideways nailed that experience.

In the morning you're eating cheese and having someone explain the tannins and the bouquet and by midnight you're running naked through an Ostrich farm.

InChiefsHeaven
11-01-2018, 11:59 AM
I enjoy most all of the spirits. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to but I still partake.

I'm very partial to Bourbon, the most superior of whiskeys IMO. I do enjoy Irish and Scotch whiskey. I enjoy them most any time of the year. I like a good Canadian like Crown too.

When I go to the Chiefs game, it's spiced Rum and OJ with my steak and eggs on the grill.

On holiday dinners with the family, I'll always enjoy a nice red wine, Cabernet is my favorite, but there are a lot of reds that I like.

I like Vodka or Gin in a good martini...dry, up, two olives and a little dirty...

Beer, I do like the craft beers, but I really don't drink beer much at all these days. That's my son's department, he's always drinking some weird ass vanilla peanut butter neopolitan stout or something...some of them are pretty good though.

Fireball is not whiskey. It is shit.

TwistedChief
11-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Oh, Baron Rothschild! Well, why didn't you just say that? Last time I was at his castle he opened up that dumb globe and we drank some 50y-aged Highland Park (scotch) and 1980 Taylor Fladgate (port). Before heading out, his butler made me a Hemingway Daquiri (rum/maraschino liqueur) and then I shared some Boulevard Wheat (beer) with the guy who maintains his moat. Old Baron's wife and I then flirted over some 1979 Krug Clos du Mesnil (champagne), and although she implored me to spend the night, I had to get back to CP to find out who won the Ermines game. It was a grand time!

InChiefsHeaven
11-01-2018, 12:00 PM
There's a severe lack of wine appreciation in this thread, by the way.

Then again I didn't really get into it much when I lived in Kansas either.

I found a local winery close to me here that makes a "Sagre Del Toro" or Bull's Blood that is fan-freaking-tastic.

tooge
11-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Beer is the best. Always has been. Always will be. If it's a cold night, maybe, just maybe a Rusty Nail (scotch and drambuie) will warm me and put me to bed. Otherwise, people drink to get a buzz and pick their poison based on what they can mix it with to taste the best to them. Thats my experience anyhow, watching my buddies drink different concoctions.

But beer, wonderful beer has been there all along. It can be refreshing on a hot day, wash down a great dinner, or just provide the perfect buzz. And, best of all, at least for me, it's hard to drink beer to the point of feeling like crap the next day. I'd get too full.

So, Beer>>>>>all other alcohol

tooge
11-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Oh, Baron Rothschild! Well, why didn't you just say that? Last time I was at his castle he opened up that dumb globe and we drank some 50y-aged Highland Park (scotch) and 1980 Taylor Fladgate (port). Before heading out, his butler made me a Hemingway Daquiri (rum/maraschino liqueur) and then I shared some Boulevard Wheat (beer) with the guy who maintains his moat. Old Baron's wife and I then flirted over some 1979 Krug Clos du Mesnil (champagne), and although she implored me to spend the night, I had to get back to CP to find out who won the Ermines game. It was a grand time!

You have to admit, the best part of the night was drinking the Boulevard Wheat by the moat.

Easy 6
11-01-2018, 12:17 PM
I uh get a little nuts and then have a pretty bad hangover when I do nothing but whiskey.

I maintain much better with Vodka. Gin I have an intolerance with the sulfites and tequila makes me take my clothes off in public so it's mostly vodka for me.

I've always wondered if the idea that different alcohols affect people in different ways is all in my head or not... because I'm exactly like you when it comes to whiskeys and tequila

Been a looong time since I was whiskey drunk, but the memory remains... I was an absolute idiotic mess

And tequila is right there as well, it tends to make me chippy and aggressive

Nothing else I consume does that to me

bdj23
11-01-2018, 12:19 PM
Rumpleminze until you are time traveling

Discuss Thrower
11-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Depends totally on the context of why you're choosing to drink alcohol.

Having a nice steak? Bring on the cab sauvignon or pinot grigio noir in a pinch.

Celebrating something with a group of people? Decent champagne. Hungover as fuck at Summit Grill on a Sunday morning? Cheap champagne and orange juice.

Smoking a cigar? Whisky or bourbon.

Hanging out a tailgate or backyard? Domestic or a light-flavored craft beer.

Self-loathing because you have 25,210 posts on a fan-run football team forum? Throw that Jager back you fucking degen.

ClevelandBronco
11-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Having a nice steak? Bring on the cab sauvignon or pinot grigio in a pinch.

Celebrating something with a group of people? Decent champagne. Hungover as fuck at Summit Grill on a Sunday morning? Cheap champagne and orange juice.

Self-loathing because you have 25,210 posts on a fan-run football team forum? Throw that Jager back you fucking degen.

Waking up in a puddle of vomit and piss behind a downtown dumpster?

Discuss Thrower
11-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Waking up in a puddle of vomit and piss behind a downtown dumpster?

Hand sanitizer.

ptlyon
11-01-2018, 12:33 PM
I've always wondered if the idea that different alcohols affect people in different ways is all in my head or not... because I'm exactly like you when it comes to whiskeys and tequila

Been a looong time since I was whiskey drunk, but the memory remains... I was an absolute idiotic mess

Oh there definitely is. Have a friend when she drinks Jack she gets argumentative. Another on vodka does the same.

A few of us were talking about how different alcohols affect different people. One was a bartender. He said he liked the warm buzz of wine. I then asked him why he usually drinks southern comfort. He responded that it makes him smart and witty.

Bump
11-01-2018, 12:37 PM
1. Beer
2. Whiskey/bourbon
3. Scotch
4. Vodka

don't really drink anything else, although its very rare that I do drink in the first place these days but that's what I drink when it happens.

ClevelandBronco
11-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Hand sanitizer.

Not domestic, certainly.

MahiMike
11-01-2018, 12:43 PM
This is like asking what kind of food you like. There are different tastes for different moods.

Rain Man
11-01-2018, 12:43 PM

And I have no doubt that the Rothschilds are avid Ermine fans.

A name change would bring us all sorts of new fans, with a particularly strong capture of European royalty.

Dartgod
11-01-2018, 12:45 PM
1. Craft beer (pretty much all styles as long as they aren't sour or fruity)
2. Ultra-premium tequila (Don Julio 1942 FTMFW!)
3. Rum (Captain and diet)
4. Mass produced beer (Bud Light or Miller Light)

I've never cared much for any of the whiskey varieties or wine.

Easy 6
11-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Oh there definitely is. Have a friend when she drinks Jack she gets argumentative. Another on vodka does the same.

A few of us were talking about how different alcohols affect different people. One was a bartender. He said he liked the warm buzz of wine. I then asked him why he usually drinks southern comfort. He responded that it makes him smart and witty.

Its definitely odd, you'd think that on a base level alcohol is alcohol

Coochie liquor
11-01-2018, 12:49 PM
I only drink Fireball on the rocks, don't judge.

Hey girl, how you doin??

tooge
11-01-2018, 12:49 PM

Having a nice steak? Bring on the cab sauvignon or pinot grigio in a pinch.

Celebrating something with a group of people? Decent champagne. Hungover as **** at Summit Grill on a Sunday morning? Cheap champagne and orange juice.

Self-loathing because you have 25,210 posts on a fan-run football team forum? Throw that Jager back you ****ing degen.

So what about for watching a total shit show on Thursday night football?

Sorce
11-01-2018, 12:51 PM
It depends on the occasion and how you are enjoying it. Whiskey, Brandy and Tequila are really the only ones I drink straight. I don't have vodka drinks very often, Gin i have to be in the mood for a gin and tonic or martini. Then there are tons of liqueurs that have different uses for making various cocktails.

Then at the very bottom of the list are jager, hot damn and peppermint schnapps. Nobody should ever drink those.

Discuss Thrower
11-01-2018, 12:51 PM

If attending game: same answer as "tailgate or backyard."

If not: promethazine and codeine syrup mixed with grape Jolly Ranchers and Sprite.

ptlyon
11-01-2018, 12:52 PM

Old English

Baby Lee
11-01-2018, 12:53 PM

Dear LORD!! Didn't bother to check who was playing until just now.

Might I suggest something in a Barbicide?

ptlyon
11-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Its definitely odd, you'd think that on a base level alcohol is alcohol

It's not. A lot has to do how it is distilled would be my guess.

Two glasses of red wine makes me warm and fuzzy. Whiskey doesn't do that to me. The GF doesn't like to see me drink gin. She says it makes me way too drunk.

Discuss Thrower
11-01-2018, 12:59 PM
It's not. A lot has to do how it is distilled would be my guess.

Two glasses of red wine makes me warm and fuzzy. Whiskey doesn't do that to me. The GF doesn't like to see me drink gin. She says it makes me way too drunk.

P L A C E B O

ptlyon
11-01-2018, 01:00 PM
P L A C E B O

?

Kiimo
11-01-2018, 01:02 PM

Having a nice steak? Bring on the cab sauvignon or pinot grigio noir in a pinch.

Celebrating something with a group of people? Decent champagne. Hungover as **** at Summit Grill on a Sunday morning? Cheap champagne and orange juice.

Self-loathing because you have 25,210 posts on a fan-run football team forum? Throw that Jager back you ****ing degen.

I agree with a lot of this but the best pairing with a cigar in my opinion is scotch, not bourbon.

The best cigar/scotch combination I've ever had was a Belinda Prominente and this

https://cdn7.bigcommerce.com/s-4revryn/images/stencil/2048x2048/products/4396/7235/dalmore-18-year-old-whisky__31889.1538425781.jpg?c=2

Thankfully I didn't have to pay for either.

edit: P L A C E B O

No.

bricks
I hate alcohol. They all suck and therefore I give them all a zero.

Discuss Thrower
Alcohol is alcohol. The only difference is the rate and concentration in which you imbibe it.

MagicHef
11-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Mexico saves the good tequila for themselves and exports shitty tequila to the United States. Not even funny.

Some, I assume, is good tequila.

Kiimo
11-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Alcohol is alcohol. The only difference is the rate and concentration in which you imbibe it.

Counterpoint: a lifetime of experiences that 100% contradict you

TinyEvel
11-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Tough question without specification of what "best" is. But since you used prestige in your OP, I might look at it like this:

(sort of stereotypical)

Key consumption age = 21-27 years old.

Beer(especially light lagers like budweiser) is WAY down with these folks. Too many options, too many places to experiment. Segment is losing market share.
Craft beer (artisinals) is still strong in this set.

Wine: Still strong. Not just a girl drink these days. Wine subscriptions are growing big, letting people experiment.

Liquor: Seeing growth of brown liquors (whiskeys, bourbon, etc.) grown over past 5 years. Seen as a more adult drink where you can taste the alcohol (rather than mixing type liquors like vodka) With hipsters and sophisticated foodie growth, bourbons and whiskeys have followed with people really getting into the craft of drinks and the differences between brands, like craft beer.

Rum: tropical. Mixing drink. Party booze. Chick booze. Not enjoying a peak right now

Vodka: The old standby. Doesn't overwhelm glass so mixes with a lot of things. Sort of the staple of liquors. Probably the highest volume sales of any liquor type.

Tequila: Resurgence in recent years, especially as a sipping alcohol. some very good ones and Mescals (smoky flavor agave liquor) grew a lot in the past 5 years.

Port Wines: only if you are over 50

Kahlua: Only if you are under 18 or over 65.

Scnapps/wine coolers/fourloco/Smirnoff Ice and other flavored malt drinks like Mike's Hard Lemonade: Only if you are 18-22 (college) sweet drinks that end up barfed onto someone's rug or the into the vegetable drawer in your frat house room fridge (true story)

Hard Apple Ciders: Grown a lot last five years. Not huge but within the category they got popular as a per alternative.

Kiimo
11-01-2018, 01:28 PM
This has taken over Los Angeles and Palm Springs for the past three summers:

http://www.melandrose.com/istarimages/mp/20702-19536_d.jpg

No sugar. But made from sugar. 5% by volume. Little hangover. No aftertaste like Zima and not a malt liquor like Zima.

Basically it tastes like a LaCroix with the same alcohol by volume as a beer but none of the filling and bloatedness.

Basically it's the perfect pool drink. I'd say invest in it but it's owned by Boston Brew Company that makes Sam Adams.

L.A. Chieffan
11-01-2018, 01:36 PM
I usually drink based upon the meal and the season. A nice Scotch is great during those cold nights, whereas in the summer I'd go with a Gin or Rum drink.

Bourbon can be had mostly year round, same with vodka.

BottomShelfBoose
11-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Straight vodka with bourbon chaser on the rocks.

JoeyChuckles
11-01-2018, 01:50 PM
I think we need more poll type options on here. Like stack rank poles for example. Can we upgrade the polling engine?

I'll PM Bob Dole to find out.

ChiTown
11-01-2018, 01:52 PM

No sugar. But made from sugar. 5% by volume. Little hangover. No aftertaste like Zima and not a malt liquor like Zima.

Basically it tastes like a LaCroix with the same alcohol by volume as a beer but none of the filling and bloatedness.

Basically it's the perfect pool drink. I'd say invest in it but it's owned by Boston Brew Company that makes Sam Adams.

No man with hair on his balls would EVER admit to drinking that shit. Come on!:D

Molitoth
11-01-2018, 02:00 PM

There are now like 5-6 different competitors to this now.

BottomShelfBoose
11-01-2018, 02:01 PM
jello shots are pretty cool

Kiimo
11-01-2018, 02:02 PM
There are now like 5-6 different competitors to this now.

Yeah like White Claw, but they all kind of suck and have weird aftertaste. This is still the best.

No man with hair on his balls would EVER admit to drinking that shit. Come on!:D

You are right I shave that shit so it doesn't get stuck in your mom's teeth

cooper barrett
11-01-2018, 02:06 PM

Rubbing Alcohol is a white liquor.. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I can't justify cost of good Gin But Gorden's is a great value. In the new green bottle

https://www.ginfoundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Gordon-Green-Bottle-min.jpg

Chief Pagan
11-01-2018, 02:07 PM

Yea, I'm not with these people that think different alcohols, assuming they drank the same amount, inherently give them a different buzz.

If you go from drinking bottled beer, to pouring wine out of bottle, it is easier to lose track of how much you are drinking. And if you aren't used to driking cocktails or sipping straight, that can really catch up to you.

And the social context of when you are drinking and your expectations can also make a difference.

But some alcoholic drinks can give worse hangovers/headaches. I react poorly to red wine, presumably from the tannins.

Buns
11-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Hi, my name is Buns, and I'm an alcoholic. For real. My last drink was the Monday after the wild card fuck fest against the Titans. I believe it was an IPA, but I'm not sure.

I was mostly beer drinking. IPAs with >9% alcohol. Once in a while, a Jameson and ginger ale or Seven and seven. But I have drank everything; from 16 to 32, I wasn't too picky. I've made marks with Jack, Jim, Goose, Jose (OH man I have some Quervo stories.) I used to slum with 211, hurricanes, four loco. I used to do alcohol studies all the time on the strip.

Shit is poison, yet I still miss it. 3 months into not drinking, I saw a cooler full of PBR pints at the gas station. It might as well have been gold bars, the way I was looking at them. C'est la vie.

BottomShelfBoose
11-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Rubbing Alcohol is a white liquor.. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I can't justify cost of good Gin But Gorden's is a great value. In the new green bottle

Same here, my liquor man is always trying to sell me on top shelf bull shit and I always tell him to fuck right off and go slit his wrists and pour that gin right on

scho63
11-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Craft Beer
$20+ Wines
True Scotch and Whisky
Quality Vodka
Italian Digestivo Liqueurs
Premium Tequila
Kentucky Bourbons
Upper End Cuban and Haitian Rum
Smooth Brand Label Gin
Brand Name Liqueurs like Bailey's, Chambord, Tuaca, Frangelica, Jagermeister
Champagne

AMERICAN BEERS LIKE BUD, COORS LIGHT, AND NATTY CRAP
FLAVORED ALCOHOL LIKE BANANA RUM, FIREBALL, APPLE WHISKY
ALL OFF LABEL AND WELL-SHIT TASTING LIQUORS
$7 OR LESS WINE

ClevelandBronco
11-01-2018, 02:19 PM
Hi, my name is Buns, and I'm an alcoholic. For real. My last drink was the Monday after the wild card fuck fest against the Titans. I believe it was an IPA, but I'm not sure.

I was mostly beer drinking. IPAs with >9% alcohol. Once in a while, a Jameson and ginger ale or Seven and seven. But I have drank everything; from 16 to 32, I wasn't too picky. I've made marks with Jack, Jim, Goose, Jose (OH man I have some Quervo stories.) I used to slum with 211, hurricanes, four loco. I used to do alcohol studies all the time on the strip.

Shit is poison, yet I still miss it. 3 months into not drinking, I saw a cooler full of PBR pints at the gas station. It might as well have been gold bars, the way I was looking at them. C'est la vie.

Give yourself a massive break, my friend. Your brain is still healing. I promise, it all gets really great when we put in the effort to examine and address all the reasons behind our -ism.

Looking at that cooler of PBR will have no effect at all on you down the road.

Easy 6
11-01-2018, 02:22 PM

All of those Trump hating Angelinos unwittingly supporting a company that supports Trump... you just gotta love it

It does sound interesting, I'd like to try one

cooper barrett
11-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Personally, I am a still pot, small batch, single pot, single malt, or even "cask finished Irish Whisky lover, I love them all..

I prefer Redbreast 12 as a standard but there are lots of great bottles of Irish to try.

Discuss Thrower
11-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Though it wasn't going down smooth last night, I'm a yuge fan of Crown Royal Vanilla. Especially if you keep it in the freezer.

Shag
11-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Personally, I am a still pot, small batch, single pot, single malt, or even "cask finished Irish Whisky lover, I love them all..

I prefer Redbreast 12 as a standard but there are lots of great bottles of Irish to try.

I just got turned on to Redbreast 12 last year, and absolutely love it. Always have a bottle of that on hand.

BWillie
11-01-2018, 02:31 PM

I think that is a just something people want to believe. No matter what I drink - beer, vodka, tequila, whisky, wine - the only thing that matters is how drunk I am and what mood I'm in. One type of alcohol doesn't make me do weirder things than others.

L.A. Chieffan
11-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Different alcohol definitely affects personalty differently. Tequila is party drink, Jager will turn me into the biggest asshole on the planet. Ive lost many friends after a night with Jager.

KCUnited
11-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Me coming in from mowing the lawn.

https://i.imgur.com/919ogeb.jpg?2

Kiimo
11-01-2018, 02:39 PM
All of those Trump hating Angelinos unwittingly supporting a company that supports Trump... you just gotta love it

It does sound interesting, I'd like to try one

I do enjoy some Truly and Chick-Fil-A, even if Donald Trump should be burned alive.

O.city
11-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Try different things, find what you like.

I’m a scotch and whisky guy, but I enjoy vodka and rum as well.

I may have a problem

Dartgod
11-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Different alcohol definitely affects personalty differently. Tequila is party drink, Jager will turn me into the biggest asshole on the planet. Ive lost many friends after a night with Jager.

A good friend of mine was always a happy drunk, but Long Island iced teas turned him into an instant asshole.

Easy 6
11-01-2018, 02:48 PM
...even if Donald Trump should be burned alive.

I'd ask why, but its best left for DC

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 02:52 PM
Though it wasn't going down smooth last night, I'm a yuge fan of Crown Royal Vanilla. Especially if you keep it in the freezer.

You're damn right. It's my go to. Soooo smooth.

They have a new salted caramel flavor im interested in trying, but they only sell it in 5th's and im not interested in keeping that much booze at a time.

journeyscarab
11-01-2018, 02:54 PM
1. Gin with the correct tonic.
2. Craft Beer.

Red Beans
11-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Beer
Beer
Wine
Beer
Beer
Beer

kccrow
11-01-2018, 03:22 PM
1. Wine... I'm not a beer drinker and really never have been. It leaves me bloated, belching and wishing it had some sort of flavor other than disgusting. Wine, however, doesn't do any of those things and the flavors are endless. I prefer reds with meat and on cooler days and whites with fish and on warmer days. If I'm just drinking it to drink, I do love a whipped up Sangria using pinot noir, orange juice, pineapple, blueberries, and peaches.
2. French Vodka (Ciroc, Grey Goose, Pinnacle, Jean-Marc, etc)... For some reason, French vodkas don't give me a next-day headache that other's do and they are far smoother than the American and Russian shit. Pinnacle Whipped and Orange Juice with a touch of cherry juice is absolute heaven on a summer day.
3. Who Gives a Flying Fuck Because I'm Probably Drunk Already... Seriously though, I really don't drink liquor straight, so it doesn't probably matter and if I had to pick them then they are going to be flavored... #1 would probably be Chambord (Raspberry liqueur), then an Amaretto like Disaronno, Grand Marnier (Orange Brandy), Midori (Melon liqueur), and Southern Comfort. IMO everything is better mixed. I'd be more curious to know the number of people that choke down shitty liquor straight to appear more manly versus those that actually prefer the flavor of it over mixing it.

Iconic
11-01-2018, 03:31 PM
I feel like a snob whenever I say this but I've never enjoyed the taste of beer. The smell just instantly makes me go the other way and it's always tasted like cold cow piss to me.

Easy 6
11-01-2018, 03:44 PM
There is ONE whiskey drink that I love

Learned it from a fellow bartender when I worked at a 4 star hotel bar

Its called The Godfather... equal parts Crown Royal and Amaretto Disarrano, it is liquid candy

Amnorix
11-01-2018, 03:56 PM

If you're just talking price point/snobbery, then sure, some are more expensive than others on average. Scotch, due to strict rules about aging, etc. tends to be more expensive than a gin, for example.

But yeah, it's all alcohol and it's really personal preference, as well as preference for alcohol by volume. Whiskeys tend to be in the 40% alcohol by volume range, while wine is more like 12% and beer more like 5% (round numbers). That also helps drive the cost to some degree.

Whiskey is a grain based alcohol, while wine is grapes, and beer is from cereal grains (barley primarily).

Within these larger categories are subtypes. Scotch, bourbon, irish, etc. for whiskey for example. And even within these subtypes there will be huge variation. Macallan 12 doesn't taste a damn thing like Laphroiag (sp?). And likely you know about wines -- reds versus whites and dry to sweet, etc.

Not sure what you're really asking. It's all just personal preference.

Nickhead
11-01-2018, 04:43 PM
i read this as you only like stank ass ganky alcohol :D

BWillie
11-01-2018, 06:00 PM
I feel like a snob whenever I say this but I've never enjoyed the taste of beer. The smell just instantly makes me go the other way and it's always tasted like cold cow piss to me.

I don't quite understand why anyone likes the taste of beer. I really feel like it's just people tolerate it - and have convinced themselves they like it. Remember back to the first time you tried beer - you were like - holy shit this fucking sucks.

Bearcat
11-01-2018, 06:49 PM
When most were drinking shit beer in college, I was drinking LIITs... then as craft beer started taking off and friends were going to harder liquor and wine, I got really into beer.

In general, great beer is above all else for me... and hell, there's bourbon barrel beer, rum barrel beer, tequila barrel beer, wine barrel beer... it's all good.

As many others have said, it's hard to rate everything else. I like wine and port, but wouldn't drink either all the time. Rum would be up there, but again, it's not close to a daily drinker. Some of the flavored vodka is pretty good (cherry, orange, caramel).

patteeu
11-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Gin is at the bottom of the list. It tastes like a liquid Christmas Tree.

Zima and wine coolers are second from the bottom.

I don't drink much, but I'll stick with (red) wine at the top of the list and let everyone else sort out all the others.

cooper barrett
11-01-2018, 07:43 PM
I don't quite understand why anyone likes the taste of beer. I really feel like it's just people tolerate it - and have convinced themselves they like it. Remember back to the first time you tried beer - you were like - holy shit this ****ing sucks.

Remember the first time you smelled your fingers after a little time under the bleachers with the fat girl in high school?

srvy
11-01-2018, 07:55 PM
I think that is a just something people want to believe. No matter what I drink - beer, vodka, tequila, whisky, wine - the only thing that matters is how drunk I am and what mood I'm in. One type of alcohol doesn't make me do weirder things than others.

Try Mad Dog 20/20

GloucesterChief
11-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Drink what you like.

For me:

Whiskey/Whisky: I like it all. Scotch, Irish, Bourbon, Canadian Japanese, etc.
Beer: I prefer the malty, sour, or tart fruity beers. Dark ales, fruit ales, Porters, Stouts, Hefeweizens, Gose, etc.
Rum: Not straight but as a mixer. I love Dark & Stormy and Cuba Libre.
Brandy: Straight or a mixer.
Italian desert liquors: Anything but Sambuca.

lewdog
11-01-2018, 07:59 PM
I don't do beer anymore now that i've adapted to whisky.

A half pint of decent whisky will get you better buzz much faster than a 6 pack of cheap beer, costs about the same and you don't get all gassy, beer gut and have to piss 5 times in the process.

What kind of whiskey you drinking?

ModSocks
11-01-2018, 08:28 PM
What kind of whiskey you drinking?

Crown Royal. Usually vanilla. You?

Ming the Merciless
11-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Cognac is #1
Champagne is up there
Scotch (single malt) could also be
To some people, an añejo tequila would be. There are crappy mixing gins, and gins to be drank straight.
Lots are into wine...

For me, I would put scotch and dry hard cider and microbrews above all.

A lot of rum and vodka and lesser (silver, reposado, etc) tequilas are for mixing.

It's mainly what you're preference is though...and for mixing , it barely matters...a splash of 7up will make a lot of cheap booze taste ok....

lewdog
11-01-2018, 08:42 PM
Crown Royal. Usually vanilla. You?

I'm a bourbon guy. It varies.

See the bourbon thread.

O.city
11-01-2018, 08:44 PM
I'm a bourbon guy. It varies.

See the bourbon thread.

I had some blantons finally

It’s good shit

lewdog
11-01-2018, 08:47 PM

It’s good shit

The problem with Blanton's is not that it isn't good, it's the price point now. $70 for it is too much. It used to be $40-50 and I'd pay that for it, but not $70 here. That's simply dumb. Unless it's a private barrel pick, then I would.

Marcellus
11-01-2018, 08:49 PM

It’s good shit

Had some last Friday for the first time, not near as much as you, probably 2oz.

Damn damn good.

Marcellus
11-01-2018, 08:50 PM
The problem with Blanton's is not that it isn't good, it's the price point now. $70 for it is too much. It used to be $40-50 and I'd pay that for it, but not $70 here. That's simply dumb. Unless it's a private barrel pick, then I would.

Your beer will be on the way tomorrow, in time for you to drink it after the Chiefs stomp the Cards next weekend.:D

Raiderhater
11-01-2018, 08:55 PM
whiskey and bourbon > all

This.

Raiderhater
11-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Yes.

Thread winner.

Raiderhater
11-01-2018, 09:01 PM
No. It's all a matter of personal taste.

For example, I like vodka the best and I like rum. I HATE HATE HATE whiskey type products...their sweet taste is absolutely disgusting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, I have to call you out on this - you hate whiskey because of the sweetness, but you like rum which is one of the sweetest liquors available (and actually made from sugar cane). I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around this.

lewdog
11-01-2018, 09:10 PM
Ok, I have to call you out on this - you hate whiskey because of the sweetness, but you like rum which is one of the sweetest liquors available (and actually made from sugar cane). I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around this.

It makes no sense.

He is making an excuse that whiskey is too sweet but he really means he doesn't like the burn and is a Nancy boy who probably drinks Malibu Rum.

O.city
11-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Had some last Friday for the first time, not near as much as you, probably 2oz.

Damn damn good.

I can get you a bottle for 50 bucks if interested

ping2000
11-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Drink a lot of absinthe and go insane.

Maine
11-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Rain Man: Why don't you drink?

Raiderhater
11-01-2018, 09:31 PM
It makes no sense.

He is making an excuse that whiskey is too sweet but he really means he doesn't like the burn and is a Nancy boy who probably drinks Malibu Rum.

I like loochy and was trying to give him an opportunity to give me a reasonable explanation - but you’ve ruined it with what is most likely the truth.

Sorry loochy, you’re just a pussy. :)

mlyonsd
11-01-2018, 09:35 PM

RM is an alien from another solar system sent here to figure out the best way to conquer the planet. He's gathering information that will destroy us. Probably on the eve of an AFC championship game where Mahomes is set to send us to the SB.

Rain Man
11-01-2018, 09:38 PM

Pardon me for a moment. I have to go kill mlyonsd.

(And I dunno. I just don't like the taste. And I don't really have a desire to get drunk or anything.)

mlyonsd
11-01-2018, 09:49 PM

(And I dunno. I just don't like the taste. And I don't really have a desire to get drunk or anything.)

I've got glasses of water stacked around the house and a 34 inch Louisville slugger. Don't tempt happy funball.

kjwood75nro
11-01-2018, 10:28 PM
Rye Whiskey.

ModSocks
11-02-2018, 09:43 AM
Friday and i'm taking tomorrow off.

Whisky night!

Johnny Vegas
11-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Scotch
Bourbon
Tequila
Wine
Beer
Rum
Gin
Vodka

Hoopsdoc
11-02-2018, 11:59 AM

The one and only time I got drunk on whiskey, I woke up the next morning covered in blood. Although I have no memory of it, I apparently punched out 3 windows with my bare hands.

That was 20 years ago. I was 19 and didn’t know better.

I haven’t drank whiskey since.

ModSocks
11-02-2018, 12:01 PM
The one and only time I got drunk on whiskey, I woke up the next morning covered in blood. Although I have no memory of it, I apparently punched out 3 windows with my bare hands.

That was 20 years ago. I was 19 and didn’t know better.

I haven’t drank whiskey since.

I don't get it. Booze is booze as far getting drunk goes.

siberian khatru
11-02-2018, 12:12 PM
All the anti-gin bigotry in this thread is proof that the America I once knew is finished as a nation.

Bunch of slack-jawed philistines. Can't appreciate the beauty of a classic martini, extra dry, with a twist of lemon. (How dry? I pour an ounce of vermouth over ice in a mixer, shake it up, strain it out, then pour the gin in and gently stir. Churchill's method was to open the bottle of vermouth, say "vermouth," then close it back up.)

Nothing better than a well-made martini before a steak dinner, accompanied by a bold Cabernet, finished with a fine cigar and single-malt scotch.

I weep for you.

BWillie
11-02-2018, 12:13 PM

So you've never got drunk - went hoggin? Time to call up Billay.

Kiimo
11-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Rye Whiskey.

This is a great answer but only uncorks (pun!) a whole conversation about how there's a huge BS Rye conspiracy.

Many of the Ryes you get aren't made by the label. Take, for instance, High West Rye. Is it brewed with the other whiskeys in Park City, UT?

Nope.

It comes from Indiana. Midwest Grain Products of Indiana, or MGP for short.

What other awesome Ryes you love are actually all the same shit from MGP? The list will depress you:

Angel's Envy
Bulleit Rye
Filibuster
George Dickel Rye
High West
James E. Pepper
Redemption
Smooth Ambler
Templeton Rye

Everything you know is a lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGP_of_Indiana

NewChief
11-02-2018, 12:23 PM
I go through phases, but I like pretty much all liquors.

My wife and I are in a pretty heavy mezcal rotation currently after a recent trip to Oaxaca. It's, in general, expensive though.

Prior to the mezcal:
I used to drink scotch, but I trend more toward bourbon, now. My wife drinks vodka mainly if we aren't drinking mezcal.

I enjoy gin. The main booze I'm not crazy about is rum... but that's mainly the sweet darker rums that I dislike.

patteeu
11-02-2018, 12:29 PM
I need to add Rum to the bottom of my list. It’s worse than gin. It’s so bad I’d completely wiped it from my memory until this thread. I’m gagging as I type.

Kiimo
11-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Rum is real bad because the huge amount of sugar contributes to the crippling hangover.

I have a friend who drinks Kraken Rum straight from the bottle because he's a dork who likes the idea of combining pirates and Clash of the Titans. He's an idiot, basically.

ptlyon
11-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Rum is real bad because the huge amount of sugar contributes to the crippling hangover.

I have a friend who drinks Kraken Rum straight from the bottle because he's a dork who likes the idea of combining pirates and Clash of the Titans. He's an idiot, basically.

ARRRRR MAYTEY

siberian khatru
11-02-2018, 12:43 PM
I need to add Rum to the bottom of my list. It’s worse than gin. It’s so bad I’d completely wiped it from my memory until this thread. I’m gagging as I type.

I had no idea after all these years that you were a communist. This is like an episode of "The Americans."

GloucesterChief
11-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Good more rum for me. Rum is the best spirit for mixed drinks.

htismaqe
11-02-2018, 12:48 PM
#1. Rubbing alcohol.

ClevelandBronco
11-02-2018, 12:51 PM
I had no idea after all these years that you were a communist. This is like an episode of "The Americans."

Dude. Rum is the national liquor of Cuba. Rum is as commie as it gets.

siberian khatru
11-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Dude. Rum is the national liquor of Cuba. Rum is as commie as it gets.

I'm talking about his gin bigotry.

ClevelandBronco
11-02-2018, 12:55 PM
I'm talking about his gin bigotry.

Carry on then. The English merely lean socialist.

Chief Pagan
11-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Many of the Ryes you get aren't made by the label. Take, for instance, High West Rye. Is it brewed with the other whiskeys in Park City, UT?

Nope.

It comes from Indiana. Midwest Grain Products of Indiana, or MGP for short.

What other awesome Ryes you love are actually all the same shit from MGP? The list will depress you:

Angel's Envy
Bulleit Rye
Filibuster
George Dickel Rye
High West
James E. Pepper
Redemption
Smooth Ambler
Templeton Rye

Everything you know is a lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGP_of_Indiana

That is true of a lot of different liquors. And there is a lot of hype and conspicuous consumption.

It doesn't take that much money to make clean vodka that is nothing but alcohol and water. After that, you are paying for status. Or you are paying for flavored vodka, which is fine, if usually overpriced and you could always start with straight vodka and flavor it yourself.

I've read experiments where typical wine drinkers will rate a wine higher if they think it came from a $40 bottle than when the exact same wine came out of a $10 bottle.

And then much the rest of it is an acquired taste. That doesn't mean it is not enjoyable.

Every couple months or so I will go to a snobbish cocktail bar in SF and have a couple of overpriced cocktails. I usually prefer one with a rye/bourbon base, some type of sweet liqueur and then some type of bitter vermouth/aperitif to offset the sweetness, and served up. I realize I'm paying for the "experience" as much as the alcohol. That's fine. I don't do it that often.

For instance here is a recent one I liked:

bourbon, Cointreau, maraschino, amer, Angostura and
Peychaud’s bitters

I will then, depending on how hard and expensive it is to find the ingredients, try making it at home.

I've done blind taste tests with different ryes for instance. I can tell a cocktail made with a super cheap bottle, but once you get up to comparing $25 bottles with $50+, I could no longer tell a difference between the two side by side cocktails. The vermouth/aperitif are also over priced, but they are distinctive in a way that rye, for instance, is not. So I've accumulated a stock of those over time.

The only premium base alcohol that I could consistently tell apart in a blind cocktail test from a moderately priced one is aged tequila versus the cheaper, less aged tequila. The cocktail made with a $25 bottle of tequila had an aftertaste that the $50 one did not. That was not the case with the rye and bourbons that I experimented with.

Easy 6
11-02-2018, 01:50 PM
All the anti-gin bigotry in this thread is proof that the America I once knew is finished as a nation.

Bunch of slack-jawed philistines. Can't appreciate the beauty of a classic martini, extra dry, with a twist of lemon. (How dry? I pour an ounce of vermouth over ice in a mixer, shake it up, strain it out, then pour the gin in and gently stir. Churchill's method was to open the bottle of vermouth, say "vermouth," then close it back up.)

Nothing better than a well-made martini before a steak dinner, accompanied by a bold Cabernet, finished with a fine cigar and single-malt scotch.

I weep for you.

Pine trees and sticks :)

Johnny Vegas
11-02-2018, 03:08 PM

I weep for you.

I love a gin martini. Either with Hendricks, Malfy, Brokers, or Uncle Vals

Easy 6
11-02-2018, 03:21 PM
For you vodka lovers, I've found an incredible value brand... its called Lux, distilled 7 times and very smooth

I used to be on a big premium vodka kick, but its really just a waste of money... I get a 5th of Lux for $8

siberian khatru
11-02-2018, 04:35 PM
I love a gin martini. Either with Hendricks, Malfy, Brokers, or Uncle Vals

You’re a great American.

patteeu
11-02-2018, 04:52 PM
I can’t believe so many people are out of the closet with their ungodly gin perversions these days. It’s all over the place. Just the other day I turned the TV on for the first time in a long time and just about every show seemed to have a gin drinking character in it if not a full gin drinking plotline.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t have any problem with those people drinking their gin in their own homes, but I don’t want to have to smell their Christmas tree breath in public.

Kiimo
11-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Gin is the latest hipster sensation so expect an explosion like IPAs

srvy
11-02-2018, 06:10 PM
You’re a great American.

No love for the G&T?

Frazod
11-02-2018, 06:53 PM
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-gr83s/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2602/6923/The_Macallan_18_Years_Old__19254.1505293228.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

:harumph:

siberian khatru
11-02-2018, 07:06 PM
No love for the G&T?

Occasionally in the summer.

siberian khatru
11-02-2018, 07:07 PM
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-gr83s/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2602/6923/The_Macallan_18_Years_Old__19254.1505293228.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

:harumph:

Got a bottle in the cabinet right now. :thumb:

Frazod
11-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Got a bottle in the cabinet right now. :thumb:

Excellent. You should have some now to get rid of the taste of that gin. :p

KCUnited
11-02-2018, 07:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/80q90f1.jpg?1

Maine
11-02-2018, 08:57 PM

Next time you're in Maine a beer and lobster roll is on me but please slow down!

BottomShelfBoose
11-02-2018, 09:44 PM
Who slamming steel reserve tonight?

Easy 6
11-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Who slamming steel reserve tonight?

LMAO

Nzoner
11-03-2018, 06:20 AM
Like others have said it's all personal taste.

My personal favorites

Tank 7-beer

Crown Royal XR-whiskey

Tito's-vodka

I've also gotten on a bit of a Bloody Mary kick but I have to have Zing Zang mix and dill pickle juice for the perfect one.

O.city
11-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Like others have said it's all personal taste.

My personal favorites

Tank 7-beer

Crown Royal XR-whiskey

Tito's-vodka

I've also gotten on a bit of a Bloody Mary kick but I have to have Zing Zang mix and dill pickle juice for the perfect one.

I had a bloody a few weeks ago with pickle juice and bacon grease

It was amazing

Kiimo
11-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Remember when you were in college and you drank a million different things you would never touch again?

Let's hear it for the 20 years olds, pour one out for

Aftershock
Goldschlager
St Ides
Purple Passion
Mad Dog
Boones
Everclear
Hypnotiq
Four Loco
Mickey's
Cisqo
Night Train

and of course

Zima

Honorable mention: Jaeger, Fireball. Yes they belong on here, stop drinking them if youre over 25.

KCUnited
11-03-2018, 08:30 AM
99 Bananas

srvy
11-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Bullfrogs

lewdog
11-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Remember when you were in college and you drank a million different things you would never touch again?

Let's hear it for the 20 years olds, pour one out for

Aftershock
Goldschlager
St Ides
Purple Passion
Mad Dog
Boones
Everclear
Hypnotiq
Four Loco
Mickey's
Cisqo
Night Train

and of course

Zima

Honorable mention: Jaeger, Fireball. Yes they belong on here, stop drinking them if youre over 25.

Zima fucking rocks, so fuck you!

Agree on the rest. Especially Fireball and Jaeger. I once double fisted two coffee style thermoses filled with Fireball while out on a lake during a hot day. The rocking of the boat got to me and it was the most painful barfing episode I have ever had. Fuck that shit forever.

Kiimo
11-03-2018, 11:09 AM
One cold night the gf and I drank fireball on the rocks all night and the hangover the next day I can only describe as reminiscent of drinking robitussin to get high my freshman year.

Never again on both.

BottomShelfBoose
11-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Just found out nut cracker ale is back

daddy's about to get smooth

srvy
11-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Zima fucking rocks, so fuck you!

Agree on the rest. Especially Fireball and Jaeger. I once double fisted two coffee style thermoses filled with Fireball while out on a lake during a hot day. The rocking of the boat got to me and it was the most painful barfing episode I have ever had. Fuck that shit forever.

My God that would be awful. ROFL

I dont get the fireball craze if you want that pour a bourbon and put a cinnamon stick in it.

displacedinMN
11-03-2018, 03:37 PM
whiskey.

I really like the honey whiskey

MahiMike
11-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Well since this thread still has legs...

1. Beer
2. Red wine
3. Crown Royal

Crown is my new medicine. The older I get, the more I really need it for pain. I haven't stopped working out or doing too many chores around the house so when I'm done, this is my go to. It's the smoothest of the whiskeys and just goes down so easily. My wife figures it's better than ingesting too many aspirin.

displacedinMN
11-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Can't drink wine. Get headaches.

BWillie
11-03-2018, 03:57 PM
For you vodka lovers, I've found an incredible value brand... its called Lux, distilled 7 times and very smooth

I used to be on a big premium vodka kick, but its really just a waste of money... I get a 5th of Lux for $8

Thank you. Love Belvedere & Goose. If this is anywhere close that would be pretty cool

cooper barrett
11-03-2018, 06:11 PM
1.75 SKOL and a and 64 OZ of Clamato

https://products3.imgix.drizly.com/ci-skol-vodka-dad8eb63ed5880d8.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&fm=jpeg&q=20

https://www.dpsgproductfacts.com/product_images/CLAMATO_TOMATO_COCKTAIL_HOT_FILLASEPPET_8.png

vodka and Clamato juice.
Season with pepper, Worcestershire, and Tabasco sauce and lime

Rain Man
11-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Can't drink wine. Get headaches.

Are you using a corkscrew to open the bottle, or are you banging it against your head? That's a common wine error.

cooper barrett
11-03-2018, 06:16 PM
sulfite's were once blamed but tannins affect some people with migraine like headaches

Are you using a corkscrew to open the bottle, or are you banging it against your head? That's a common wine error.

Rain Man
11-03-2018, 06:19 PM
sulfite's were once blamed but tannins affect some people with migraine like headaches

Let's settle the opening question first before we move on to the science-y stuff. Occam's Razor.

cooper barrett
11-03-2018, 06:33 PM
<iframe src="//coub.com/embed/1d3ked?muted=true&autostart=true&originalSize=false&startWithHD=true" allowfullscreen frameborder="0" width="480" height="360" allow="autoplay"></iframe><script async src="//c-cdn.coub.com/embed-runner.js"></script>

Pablo
11-03-2018, 07:18 PM
1. The kind I'm drinking currently
2. The kind I'll have next

lewdog
11-03-2018, 08:59 PM
I had a nice pour of Old Weller Antique Bourbon
Second, a nice pour of Belvanie Doublewood scotch.
Third, Kokanee beer.
Fourth, Dos Equis Amber.

That’s my rank tonight.

displacedinMN
11-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Ha.
None of the above. Whiskey is better. No fun to get a headache while drinking instead of after drinking.

patteeu
11-03-2018, 11:03 PM
I never really understood drinking in the morning, like at a brunch or an early tailgate. Doesn't that kill the rest of the day for you? I'd end up either feeling rotten or needing an afternoon nap or both.

BlackOp
11-04-2018, 12:45 AM
Whiskey is the closest to an opiate vibe of all the liquors...unless you are drinking liqueur with actual opiates in it. (it's awesome) It's close to a red wine feeling...organic and warm. The difference is if you drink too much...you end up getting into gunfights...which is part of it's charm. It's like serenading a cobra with a pan-flute...you know at any time if you get too close, it can kill you. Tequila has this quality too...but the high" off of it isn't very good.

Whiskey is the king of all booze...and it's not close.

Vodka is like a sterile corporate meeting....soul-less.

BottomShelfBoose
11-04-2018, 12:46 AM
Where the steel reserve crew at??

oldman
11-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Beer is king with me. I'll drink wine with a nice dinner. Scotch or Irish whiskey on a cold night, straight up. Every once in a while I'll do a screwdriver or margarita.

Bob Dole
11-04-2018, 09:38 AM
I never really understood drinking in the morning, like at a brunch or an early tailgate. Doesn't that kill the rest of the day for you? I'd end up either feeling rotten or needing an afternoon nap or both.

You eat brunch, watch some football, take a nap, start drinking again.