PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Should strength of schedule over-ride head to head in the playoffs

BlackOp
11-09-2018, 11:46 PM
Should strength of schedule over-ride head to head into determining play-off seeding?

Hypothetically, if KC loses to the Rams and NE wins out..Patriots get HFA. Both are 14-2. Chiefs two losses came against teams that only lost 3 games. Patriots lost to Jacksonville and Detroit.

Chiefs had to play on the road against NE who were on 10 days rest. How is this considered an equal footing game? Is this really a fair way to determine HFA?

What if Brady had been out for that one game and NE lost? Would that be a fair way to determine HFA?

Seems that if two teams that have the same record...the advantage should be determined by who had the more difficult opponents.

Just a thought...

Shaid
11-09-2018, 11:48 PM
No, Head to Head should come before strength of schedule. You can't help who you played. I know that's not great for KC this year but it is what it is.

11-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Good luck

bigjosh
11-09-2018, 11:49 PM
I prefer point differential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaFace
11-09-2018, 11:50 PM
I don't know how there could be any better tiebreaker than head to head.

MMXcalibur
Loudest crowd noise should be the tiebreaker.

Best22
Then what would you say when we beat NE head to head but lose out due to “strength of schedule?”

There’s no conspiracy. We didn’t play good enough and lost.

Tired of talking about the Pats. We have Mahomes no reason to fear any opponent in any stadium at any time.

oldman
11-09-2018, 11:54 PM
While I understand the OP's point, it has to be head to head. The Cheatriots have had an easy 6 wins for the many years, but you can't deny their success in the playoffs.

BlackOp
11-09-2018, 11:57 PM
I don't know how there could be any better tiebreaker than head to head.

They could devise a numeric chart based on number of wins and SOS for each team. Road wins would count more than home wins.

Add up the total for teams that have the same final record....

Beating a 10-6 team, on the road, would carry more value than beating a 2-14 team at home.

It seems this would help level the seeding if a team had more injuries than another and played a more difficult schedule... but lost head to head in week 2.

DaFace
11-10-2018, 12:00 AM
The could devise a numeric chart based on number of wins and SOS for each team. Road wins would count more than home wins.

Add up the total for teams the have the same record....You know, I was just thinking to myself, "You know what would make the NFL even better? Adding a few more complicated rules." Oh wait...

RippedmyFlesh
11-10-2018, 12:05 AM
In the old days the site was predetermined. It was rotated year to year.

BlackOp
11-10-2018, 12:08 AM
You know, I was just thinking to myself, "You know what would make the NFL even better? Adding a few more complicated rules." Oh wait...

Well...that fact that KC played a more difficult schedule this year and still might lose HFA because they had to play NE, AT HOME on 10 days rest, seems like an unfair system.

Head to Head seems to imply "level playing field" when its not...unless the teams play each other twice in both stadiums.

mr. tegu
11-10-2018, 12:09 AM
Well...that fact that KC played a more difficult schedule this year and still might lose HFA because they had to play NE, AT HOME on 10 days rest, seems like an unfair system.

To be fair, we have Mahomes which isn’t really fair to the rest of the league.

BlackOp
11-10-2018, 12:17 AM
Head to Head would only come into play in division ties...since they've played each other twice.

Jewish Rabbi
11-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Why not have the tie breaker be average dick length?

BlackOp
11-10-2018, 12:23 AM
Why not have the tie breaker be average dick length?

That wouldn't be fair...everyone already knows Mahomes has the biggest dick in the league.

Patty "Big Dick" Mahomes has a nice ring to it.....sure as shit better than "showtime".

Best22
11-10-2018, 12:53 AM
No.

Tiebreaker to fastest quarterback...

Or fattest coach

Either way we win

NJChiefsFan
11-10-2018, 01:23 AM
I'm sure if we tied the Steelers and lost the S.O.S. people would be real happy.......

Head to head is literally the most fair way to determine which team earned the advantage

I prefer point differential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That gives a bigger advantage to offensive teams who will naturally outscore their opponents more than defensive teams. A 17-0 game can be just as dominant as a 45-17 game.

BlackOp
11-10-2018, 02:25 AM
I'm sure if we tied the Steelers and lost the S.O.S. people would be real happy.......

Why...if they beat better teams and had a tougher route, they deserve a higher seeding. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Patriot fans might have a problem as the play 6 games a year against a bottom-feeder division. It would prevent them from always having HFA every year...how many tough games have they played in 2018 on the road? Steelers and Jacksonville?

WhawhaWhat
11-10-2018, 03:07 AM
Why not have a game of charades instead? Maybe an intense session of Mario Kart.

eDave
11-10-2018, 03:10 AM
No. STFU

RINGLEADER
11-10-2018, 03:51 AM
Best BBQ

Rausch
11-10-2018, 05:04 AM
No. STFU

This...

ThaVirus
11-10-2018, 07:04 AM
Reminds me of when Carl wanted to expand the number of playoff teams to 14 back when we missed the playoffs after going 10-6.

You sound like a bitch.

NJChiefsFan
11-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Why...if they beat better teams and had a tougher route, they deserve a higher seeding. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Patriot fans might have a problem as the play 6 games a year against a bottom-feeder division. It would prevent them from always having HFA every year...how many tough games have they played in 2018 on the road? Steelers and Jacksonville?

A team deserves to be home even if they lost to the team they are about to play? How can a team deserve home field if they can't even beat the team they are going to play?

The Patriots don't control who they play. They do control how they played against us. You're punishing teams for something they can't control and ignoring things they can control.

Danguardace
11-10-2018, 07:35 AM
This isn't college football

notorious
11-10-2018, 07:43 AM
It will all work itself out.

PHOG
11-10-2018, 07:44 AM
:shake:

Red Dawg
11-10-2018, 07:50 AM
To be fair, we have Mahomes which isn’t really fair to the rest of the league.

Brady has the refs. Thats not fair to the rest of the league.

jjchieffan
11-10-2018, 07:51 AM
I would rather eliminate the Thursday night games and the whole short week, 10 days rest crap altogether. That's one of the biggest disadvantage/advantage scenarios in the league.

BigRedChief
11-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Thread fail, big time. Why did you post a question thread but not a poll? :facepalm:

RunKC
11-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Would rather change formatting. If a team doesn’t win their division but has 12-13 wins, they shouldn’t be forced to be a 5 or 6 seed.

They earned a higher seeding.

ptlyon
11-10-2018, 09:14 AM
It just depends on how you end up against Bama

ThaVirus
11-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Would rather change formatting. If a team doesn’t win their division but has 12-13 wins, they shouldn’t be forced to be a 5 or 6 seed.

I like it the way it is. Gives winning your division that much more importance.

Plus, it creates more entertaining viewing potential.

Chief Roundup
11-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Head to Head seems to imply "level playing field" when its not...unless the teams play each other twice in both stadiums.

Life is not fair...Get over it already.

KChiefs1
11-10-2018, 09:31 AM
PFF’s playoffs odds.

https://youtu.be/URCjSExiCiU

BlackOp
11-10-2018, 09:33 AM
I would rather eliminate the Thursday night games and the whole short week, 10 days rest crap altogether. That's one of the biggest disadvantage/advantage scenarios in the league.

This...I'm not sure how KC fans think playing NE in NE, when the Patriots had 10 days to prepare, should be the measuring stick for HFA.

Chargers are getting a raw deal too....They have to play KC @ Arrowhead on two days practice/ 2000 miles travel on what could determine the AFCW winner.

Unless people consider home and away games to be 100% equal contests... and 10 days rest over 7 doesn't matter. Head to head in a single match-up (non divisional) shouldn't be the most important determining factor.

If the Patriots lose @ Pitsburgh...they lost to two teams the Chiefs beat....the other being Jacksonville. This common opponents data doesn't factor in until later...but should carry as much weight at H2H.

Thursday night games should never be divisional opponents. If anything...it should be AFC/NFC match-ups that factor in last for playoff seeding.

BlackOp
11-10-2018, 09:37 AM

That was the point...the way its determined isn't really fair but could be...to better reflect which teams deserve their seeding.

Lots of internet warriors calling me a bitch...I guess numbers really inst their thing.

Spott
11-10-2018, 10:08 AM
This...I'm not sure how KC fans think playing NE in NE, when the Patriots had 10 days to prepare, should be the measuring stick for HFA.

Chargers are getting a raw deal too....They have to play KC @ Arrowhead on two days practice/ 2000 miles travel on what could determine the AFCW winner.

Unless people consider home and away games to be 100% equal contests... and 10 days rest over 7 doesn't matter. Head to head in a single match-up (non divisional) shouldn't be the most important determining factor.

If the Patriots lose @ Pitsburgh...they lost to two teams the Chiefs beat....the other being Jacksonville. This common opponents data doesn't factor in until later...but should carry as much weight at H2H.

Thursday night games should never be divisional opponents. If anything...it should be AFC/NFC match-ups that factor in last for playoff seeding.

They Chargers aren't getting a raw deal. They had an entire offseason to prepare for what was essentially a rookie QB at home and they still shit the bed.

Chief Roundup
11-10-2018, 10:11 AM
That was the point...the way its determined isn't really fair but could be...to better reflect which teams deserve their seeding.

Lots of internet warriors calling me a bitch...I guess numbers really inst their thing.

Not calling you anything. There are just too many variables that SOS doesn't account for either.
Just as an example SOS wouldn't be fair if one team played a full strength team and then the others play them later without their starting QB or other weapons. One team played them at full strength and won or lost while the rest of the season they were not competitive and lost several games which would affect the SOS for teams.

Do you think that the NFL should change seating process to exclude division titles? Should it just be straight up by record?
There have been lots of people that want to make that change as well.

ptlyon
11-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Let me tell you what's not fair. Playing Mahomes with all of these play makers at his disposal, anywhere, anytime.

That shit just ain't fair.

BlackOp
11-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Not calling you anything. There are just too many variables that SOS doesn't account for either.
Just as an example SOS wouldn't be fair if one team played a full strength team and then the others play them later without their starting QB or other weapons. One team played them at full strength and won or lost while the rest of the season they were not competitive and lost several games which would affect the SOS for teams.

Do you think that the NFL should change seating process to exclude division titles? Should it just be straight up by record?
There have been lots of people that want to make that change as well.
I dont think divisional titles should use SOS/common opponents to determine the winner unless they split...the fact they get two games against each other. Only H2H in single match-ups like KC@NE when they finish with the same record.

It wouldn't happen very often but if two teams are 13-3...the entirety of their seasons shouldn't be determined by a single H2H game in week 4. HFA should be determined by who beat better teams and had a more difficult road to get there.

Best22
11-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Mahomes and Brady should just arm wrestle to decide

Or we could try a coin toss. We never lose those

lcarus
11-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Its not the Patriots fault their division has been shit for the past 20 years. In a way they even helped those teams improve by beating their ass which gave them a better draft position. They still couldnt field a good enough team.

cdcox
11-10-2018, 10:51 AM
The sample size in the NFL season is way too small to rank teams with any level of confidence. Period. Full stop. For example, a team not among the best five terms in the league has won the Super Bowl approximately 20 times in league history. The tiebreaker rules are somewhat arbitrary, but so are any other rules that could be devised.

Chiefs4TheWin
11-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Color of the jersey should be the tie breaker starting with Red.

Best22
11-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Team with fastest Tight End wins

jjchieffan
11-10-2018, 11:49 AM

I agree with this. Look at the NFc East. Everyone is hovering around .500(except the Giants). Let's say that the Eagles win the division with an 8-8 record. Suppose that the Vikings finish 12-4 behind the 13-3 bears, and the the Panthers finish 13-3 behind the 14-2 Saints. Why on Earth would the Eagles "deserve" a home playoff game just because they were the best in a horrible division? The Panthers and Vikings are obviously better teams. They just had actually decent teams in their division that were one game better overall. They "earned" that home game against lesser competition. He'll, it could be argued that the Eagles should be fortunate to even get a playoff berth if there are better records in the conference that got eliminated. That should be reward enough for winning the division. After that, seed it by record.

Spott
11-10-2018, 11:56 AM
I agree with this. Look at the NFc East. Everyone is hovering around .500(except the Giants). Let's say that the Eagles win the division with an 8-8 record and the Seahawks win their division at 9-7. Suppose that the Vikings finish 12-4 behind the 13-3 bears, and the the Panthers finish 13-3 behind the 14-2 Saints. Why on Earth would the Eagles or Seahawks "deserve" a home playoff game just because they were the best in a horrible division? The Panthers and Vikings are obviously better teams. They just had actually decent teams in their division that were one game better overall. They "earned" that home game against lesser competition. He'll, it could be argued that the Eagles or Seahawks should be fortunate to even get a playoff berth if there are better records in the conference that got eliminated. That should be reward enough for winning the division. After that, seed it by record.

I think there should be some kind of reseeding at the end of the season so that teams that won 11 or 12 games don't have to go on the road and play some team that finished 8-8 in a crappy division. It happened with us a couple of years ago when we played Houston. What's even worse is that we beat them in Houston during the season and won 2 more games than they did, and still had to play them on the road.

Ming the Merciless
11-10-2018, 12:02 PM
No

jjchieffan
11-10-2018, 12:24 PM
I think they're should be some kind of reseeding at the end of the season so that teams that won 11 or 12 games don't have to go on the road and play some team that finished 8-8 in a crappy division. It happened with us a couple of years ago when we played Houston. What's even worse is that we beat them in Houston during the season and won 2 more games than they did, and still had to play them on the road.

Yep. The way it is now is just stupid. The NFC East doesn't have a single team that has done a thing to deserve the benefit of a home playoff game. However, The Saints and Panthers are both deserving. It's ridiculous that one of the Panthers or Saints will have to travel to Washington or Philly to play a team with a lesser record. That's just dumb

JD10367
11-10-2018, 04:07 PM
I think they're should be some kind of reseeding at the end of the season so that teams that won 11 or 12 games don't have to go on the road and play some team that finished 8-8 in a crappy division. It happened with us a couple of years ago when we played Houston. What's even worse is that we beat them in Houston during the season and won 2 more games than they did, and still had to play them on the road.

No need for four 4-team divisions in each conference. Realign to two 8-team divisions in each conference. First two teams in each get a bye, third is the WC.

JD10367
11-10-2018, 04:12 PM
AFC Northeast: Pats, Jets, Bills, Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Bengals Colts.

AFC Southwest: Dolphins, Jaguars, Texans, Titans, Chiefs, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders.

jjchieffan
11-10-2018, 04:51 PM

AFC Southwest: Dolphins, Jaguars, Texans, Titans, Chiefs, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders.

I don't know about that. Yearly scheduling would be adversely affected. If you play every team in your division home and away every year, that's 14 of a 16 game schedule. Are you going to only play 1 NFC game and 1 AFC non divisional game each year? Or do you play all teams in your conference one time and 1 NFC game?

Chief Roundup
11-10-2018, 05:38 PM

No just do East and West.