PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Getting a Great Dane tomorrow...

MTG#10
11-13-2018, 07:10 PM
I haven't had a big dog in about a decade. Anyone here have any experience with Great Danes? I've read they dont typically live as long as other breeds and vet bills can get ridiculous but I've wanted one since I was a little kid.

SuperBowl4
11-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Smooth Fox terriers are the worst

saphojunkie
11-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Name it McCloud?

MahiMike
11-13-2018, 07:20 PM
He doesn't post here any more.

MahiMike
11-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Actually I did some research when I was in an apartment. Great Danes and Mastiffs are surprisingly good dogs for apartments.

chinaski
11-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Colleague of mine bred them back in the day. They are very docile dogs, big couch potatoes. Unfortunately yes, they aren't long lived compared to other breeds.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-13-2018, 07:23 PM
I know they're a much easier target at 500 yards than a pitbull.

Maine
11-13-2018, 07:27 PM
They seem nice

kstater
11-13-2018, 07:30 PM
I’ve got a female. The dumbest dog by far I’ve ever known. Sweet. But fucking stupid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cosmos
11-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Had a Great Dane in the family when I was a teenager. She passed at 7 due to cancer.

Disposition wise she was a great pet, mello to the end. She was a big dog who’s sholder measured up to my hip. Not the most intelligent dog I’ve had, but had a heart of gold. It was my step fathers choice. Lots of slobber and big shits... being he oldest, I had clean up duty.

Best dog I’ve ever had (6) was our golden lab. She grew up with our kids, lived for 13 years. Putting her down was so hard, we have not been able to muster up to get another, yet..

Hope you have a big house and yard.

Yosef_Malkovitch
11-13-2018, 07:34 PM
I have a dane and a daniff (mix between a Great Dane and an English Mastiff). The daniff is, by far, a better-behaved dog. Every dog is different, of course, but mastiffs are more laid back overall, and mixing the two breeds seems to have produced the perfect dog.

We love our dane, but we won't get another pure one. For us, it will be daniffs from here on out.

MIAdragon
11-13-2018, 07:36 PM
I’ve got a female. The dumbest dog by far I’ve ever known. Sweet. But ****ing stupid

This and get ready to get fucked in ass by vet bills.

ROYC75
11-13-2018, 07:39 PM
He doesn't post here any more.

I’ve got a female. The dumbest dog by far I’ve ever known. Sweet. But ****ing stupid

All of this, plus BTW, I have never known him to be " Great "?

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Just think of the size of the turds you're going to have to pick up.

NJChiefsFan
11-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Why doesn't he post here anymore?

MTG#10
11-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Probably easier than picking up little ones

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-13-2018, 07:47 PM

He got his feelings hurt. Ironic I just PM'd him today telling him to get back here.

Flying High D
11-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Congrats on your new fur baby.

BryanBusby
11-13-2018, 07:59 PM
It's hard to post on the Internet as a dog.

Chief Roundup
11-13-2018, 08:00 PM
They are really big dogs that think they are lap dogs. They are very loving and loyal. They do not realize their own size. They will knock things off and knock people down if they are not trained very well.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Probably easier than picking up little ones

Make sure to wear a back brace. And lift with your legs.

Mahomer
11-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Also, don't forget all the turds you'll have to pick up because everyone in the neighborhood will know they came from your dog. That's a big minus.

Chief Roundup
11-13-2018, 08:04 PM
He got his feelings hurt. Ironic I just PM'd him today telling him to get back here.

Why would you do that? He is a hateful prick that got called out on it by posters and mods. Once he got called out by posters he considered "friends" and mods he then turned pussy and left AGAIN.

NJChiefsFan
11-13-2018, 08:05 PM
It's hard to post on the Internet as a dog.

I don't want to hear it With speak to text technology dogs today have it easier than ever.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-13-2018, 08:15 PM
Why would you do that? He is a hateful prick that got called out on it by posters and mods. Once he got called out by posters he considered "friends" and mods he then turned pussy and left AGAIN.

Sorry, I like Dane. He calls me an asshole and I call him a douchebag and we go on

RedRaider56
11-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Great Danes are very cool dogs.

Unfortunately, large dogs like Great Danes are prone to have serious gastrointestinal issues when compared to smaller breeds. Larger breeds also tend to have more issues with arthritic hips/joints than smaller breeds.

Naptown Chief
11-13-2018, 08:43 PM

A few friends of mine have had them. I was also a vet tech from 19-24, so I encountered a fair number of them. Sweethearts but the dumbest ****ing dogs I've ever known. Unfortunately, as pointed out, they aren't very long lived. They're actually somewhat prone to blindness and deafness, though that's usually seen in the white colored pups. Very active as a puppy, as is any puppy... But relatively calm and very sweet once mature.

I've had a couple presa canarios (female is 8 now) and the vet, food, and maintenance can be pretty steep. Your dog will be several inches and dozens of pounds larger than my guys (94 F and 128 M) so expect even more. While growing my pups went through 5-7 cups of food per day EACH. That tapered off to 3-4 once they hit ~2. I love Danes but, like boxers and dobies, the lifespan is what scared me off. Best of luck!

Naptown Chief
11-13-2018, 08:46 PM
Great Danes are very cool dogs.

Unfortunately, large dogs like Great Danes are prone to have serious gastrointestinal issues when compared to smaller breeds. Larger breeds also tend to have more issues with arthritic hips/joints than smaller breeds.

Ah yes, because of their height I do believe they are more susceptible to bloat. If you're unfamiliar with the term I'd advise looking it up. Hips/joints also can be an issue, as can be the case with any large breed. This can actually be somewhat curbed by adding glucosamine and chondroitin supplements (if you're interested I can snap a pic of the treats I feed my 8 year old presa who was born with horrible hips) and later in life arthritis medications.

staylor26
11-13-2018, 08:46 PM
Bring back the Great Dane

Make CP great again

BWillie
11-13-2018, 08:53 PM
You planning to bring the dog with you when you go on vacation? Hope you have a sitter - for a dog.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-13-2018, 08:57 PM
You planning to bring the dog with you when you go on vacation? Hope you have a sitter - for a dog.

Hell, I'd hire an illegal just to come over every day a pick up the turds.

Bob Dole
11-13-2018, 08:58 PM
I haven't had a big dog in about a decade. Anyone here have any experience with Great Danes? I've read they dont typically live as long as other breeds and vet bills can get ridiculous but I've wanted one since I was a little kid.

Make the most of your 8 years together. I've lost 2 dogs in the past year, and it sucks.

Hoover
11-13-2018, 09:09 PM
I love my Great Dane! Pulls like a dream

https://www.greatdane.com/assets/images/uploads/general/_cardBlockLarge/thirds-fxp-cusomization.jpg

Abba-Dabba
11-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Congrats. I see someone needing a 8ft fence in the near future.

frozenchief
11-13-2018, 09:19 PM
Good friends have had a great dane for several years. It's their second.

Friendly
Good with kids
Drooly
they can get in the way
They have more energy than you'd think
not terribly bright
very loyal

Great Dane stories:

friends were hiking/camping in Alaska. They're off the road system. So one of them heads way into the bushes to do their business before going to sleep. A bit later, the dog comes in the tent and lies down. As she does, there is a horrible smell. Turns out the dog sought out where they did their business (some distance from camp), rolled in it and then came into the tent. Took a while to clean that up.

Once while hiking, friend saw something from the dog's butt. Turns out to be a string. She grabs the string and it is attached to ... a used tampon the dog had eaten.

Several socks went missing. Friend couldn't find them and figured laundry just ate them. Until dog is really having issues pooping. Turns out dog ate the socks.

Eating dinner one night, the doorbell rings. Friend gets up to get it and dog just grabs food off her plate since the dog's head is above the table.

On the other hand, we had a mastiff and found our mastiff was more mellow and a bit smarter than the Great Dane. No drooling. No rolling in shit. No eating weird things. Our mastiff would stay nearby when we went hiking and camping, which was a good bear alert. We never had bear issues but he would chase after moose, until one kicked him. He limped for a few days and I have no idea how that didn't kill him other than he was just a large, solid dog - about 120 lbs.

Our mastiff was really mellow around other dogs (Great Dane wasn't always but was friends with our mastiff). One day our Mastiff was on the front porch and my daughter starts walking to a friend's house. Neighbor's pit bull* comes out into the street and almost knocks over my daughter. He's about 2 feet in front, barking, growling and snarling. That mastiff, who was generally extremely mellow, just flew down the driveway and got between Olivia and that pit bull. It was one of a handful of times he ever barked and about the only time he barked in anger and he transformed from this mellow, faithful pet into the Hound of the Baskervilles. You could feel his bark.

Different strokes for different folks but for my money, I'd get a mastiff. They are a lot more gentle than they might appear and they are really loyal. The French mastiffs drool so I think our next one will be an English mastiff but I loved that mastiff.

* I've seen really well-behaved pit bulls. I firmly believe it's an owner issue and the 20 year old who owned this pit bull did not neuter it and did nothing to curb any aggression.

Yosef_Malkovitch
11-13-2018, 11:57 PM
Ah yes, because of their height I do believe they are more susceptible to bloat. If you're unfamiliar with the term I'd advise looking it up. Hips/joints also can be an issue, as can be the case with any large breed. This can actually be somewhat curbed by adding glucosamine and chondroitin supplements (if you're interested I can snap a pic of the treats I feed my 8 year old presa who was born with horrible hips) and later in life arthritis medications.

Oh, yes. You will definitely want to have a gastropexy done. If you do it at the same time as the spay/neuter, you can save a little bit. Ours cost $1200, so get ready for that.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-14-2018, 12:09 AM
Aren't Great Danes prone to carrying vaginal warts virus?

Why Not?
11-14-2018, 03:57 AM
Be prepared to be called a butt fucking moron a lot.

Fish
11-14-2018, 04:47 AM
Actually I did some research when I was in an apartment. Great Danes and Mastiffs are surprisingly good dogs for apartments.

:facepalm:

-King-
11-14-2018, 05:15 AM
I’ve got a female. The dumbest dog by far I’ve ever known. Sweet. But fucking stupid

ROFL ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

Warpaint69
11-14-2018, 07:12 AM
I’d rather have an English Bulldog.

ForeverChiefs58
11-14-2018, 09:00 AM
A few friends of mine have had them. I was also a vet tech from 19-24, so I encountered a fair number of them. Sweethearts but the dumbest ****ing dogs I've ever known. Unfortunately, as pointed out, they aren't very long lived. They're actually somewhat prone to blindness and deafness, though that's usually seen in the white colored pups. Very active as a puppy, as is any puppy... But relatively calm and very sweet once mature.

I've had a couple presa canarios (female is 8 now) and the vet, food, and maintenance can be pretty steep. Your dog will be several inches and dozens of pounds larger than my guys (94 F and 128 M) so expect even more. While growing my pups went through 5-7 cups of food per day EACH. That tapered off to 3-4 once they hit ~2. I love Danes but, like boxers and dobies, the lifespan is what scared me off. Best of luck!

This isn’t quite right. I’ve bred and trained Great Danes for years. I breed and train Blue Great Danes now. I have never encountered a dumb Great Dane. There might be plenty out there, but all that I have bred or interacted with are very smart.

It is true they are a very, very loving and loyal dog. I think that makes them much easier to train, because they really want so bad to make you happy.

I’ve also trained yellow labs and find many similarities between the two in training because of some of those same traits.

Very true that they also don’t know they are that big and instinctively will sit on a couch or your lap.

They can get hit by cars easier. Like a deer, sometimes if they are in a street, they might stop and look at a car.

Their stomachs can flip with large chest cavity, but just as seen in the movie “Marley and Me”, it happens in other breeds as well.

My vet bill for my Danes isn’t any more than the vet bills for my Labrador. I take them in at the same time, and they get the same shots.

They usually live around 10-15 years. In their later years, some can develop hip or bone problems, not untypical in such a larger dog, but a lot of that can be passed on through breeding. So, always check the dogs history, and make sure parents and grandparents on both sides are good.

I used to breed Harlequins 25 years ago. Harlequins are white with black spots.

If a Harlequin is born and doesn’t have a black spot anywhere on its head, then it will be blind and deaf. Those are usually put down at birth. I kept one once that had a spot on its neck. It ended up still being blind and deaf, but was very, very smart and I surprisingly was still able to find it a good home.

It is why Dalmatians are fire truck dogs. The siren doesn’t hurt their ears like other dogs.

Hope this help

RockChalk
11-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Mine just passed away in April, after 7 good years. She was in good physical shape, but got sick very suddenly and that was it. She died in my arms at home, so it went as pleasantly as something like that can go.

An earlier post suggested they are big couch potatoes and he is correct. Very gentle, loving dogs. Would do anything for their owner. Mine was very well behaved except for her last six months, which looking back, was probably around the same time she became ill.

Although they are very docile, they are also very strong and can pretty much destroy anything in your house. Metal is NO problem to chew to pieces for them. She hated her kennel and destroyed (bent the metal beyond repair) her extra-large $200 cages.

Very excellent with other dogs though and loved exercise. I never found vet bills to be excessive, but you will go through a ton of money in food, which you're already aware of. If you are worried about experience any type of stomach bloat, just go ahead and get his/her stomach stapled. It will eliminate that concern. I didn't have it done for Riley and she never had any problems, but it is a fairly common problem for Danes.

At any rate, welcome to owning a 120-200lb dog that believes they only weigh 10lbs.

Graystoke
11-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Very short lifespan but great dogs.
Plus if you train them right they are big enough to turn on and off the kitchen water to get a drink. My friends Dane was would turn on the water to get a sip, but would always forget to turn it off. They would come home to flooded kitchens frequently till they locked it out when they would leave for the day.

Naptown Chief
11-14-2018, 10:43 AM
This isn’t quite right. I’ve bred and trained Great Danes for years. I breed and train Blue Great Danes now. I have never encountered a dumb Great Dane. There might be plenty out there, but all that I have bred or interacted with are very smart.

It is true they are a very, very loving and loyal dog. I think that makes them much easier to train, because they really want so bad to make you happy.

I’ve also trained yellow labs and find many similarities between the two in training because of some of those same traits.

Very true that they also don’t know they are that big and instinctively will sit on a couch or your lap.

They can get hit by cars easier. Like a deer, sometimes if they are in a street, they might stop and look at a car.

Their stomachs can flip with large chest cavity, but just as seen in the movie “Marley and Me”, it happens in other breeds as well.

My vet bill for my Danes isn’t any more than the vet bills for my Labrador. I take them in at the same time, and they get the same shots.

They usually live around 10-15 years. In their later years, some can develop hip or bone problems, not untypical in such a larger dog, but a lot of that can be passed on through breeding. So, always check the dogs history, and make sure parents and grandparents on both sides are good.

If a Harlequin is born and doesn’t have a black spot anywhere on its head, then it will be blind and deaf. Those are usually put down at birth. I kept one once that had a spot on its neck. It ended up still being blind and deaf, but was very, very smart and I surprisingly was still able to find it a good home.

It is why Dalmatians are fire truck dogs. The siren doesn’t hurt their ears like other dogs.

Hope this help

My bad. I knew Danes were susceptible to blindness/deafness and thought it was the white gene like in some other breeds. Didn't realize it was the harlequins, which is a STUNNING color on them.

Trivers
11-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Hope this help

Great post!

We have had 4 GDs over the years.

Absolutely love them. Big, smart, and little kids proof.

We recently lost one to cancer. Looking for a female Harlequin. Does not have to have papers.

BTW, Rainmain has great picture of him with ours. If if he chooses to share, you will enjoy it.

Naptown Chief
11-14-2018, 11:01 AM
My bad. I knew Danes were susceptible to blindness/deafness and thought it was the white gene like in some other breeds. Didn't realize it was the harlequins, which is a STUNNING color on them.

I guess I should clarify.. By dumb I more or less meant oafy and clumsy. Bull in a China shop type thing and being about 150lbs heavier than they think they are.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Training video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jHRwSFYrB5s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moar training:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NJByyNJ0nVs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ForeverChiefs58
11-14-2018, 11:10 AM
I guess I should clarify.. By dumb I more or less meant oafy and clumsy. Bull in a China shop type thing and being about 150lbs heavier than they think they are.

Yes, very Scooby-dooish.

Our vet sits next to train tracks, and she says it is common for Danes to jump in owners laps when train goes by

Shag
11-14-2018, 11:14 AM

You sure about that life span? All research I've ever done, and every vet I've talked to (including 2 close friends), indicate 6-10 years. 10-15 years would be more likely for your lab.

Great dogs, but the life span has always scared me away.

ForeverChiefs58
11-14-2018, 11:41 AM
You sure about that life span? All research I've ever done, and every vet I've talked to (including 2 close friends), indicate 6-10 years. 10-15 years would be more likely for your lab.

I have lost one at 8. Lost another at 10. But know several that are still alive at 12, 13 and 14.

10-15 was just a number I said from my own experience, and can definitely vary. I know a few that have lost around 6, but 3 of those were being struck by cars.

My female that died at 8 I had put down. It was heartbreaking, and she could have probably lived a couple more years, but was in pain daily.

My vet told me breeding them takes some off their life. I had bred her, took them to dog shows, and paid my own way through college. And I learned a lot from it.

A female goes into cycle every 6 months. Having 8-12 puppies on average, each one the size of a long neck bottle, 12 inches long, sure takes a lot out of them.

She should rest the cycle after having puppies, so only giving birth once a year.

Be sure and ask breeder about parents and grandparents health and history.
Most people are looking for a spawn of that. How old were they when they died? What did they die from? Is it hereditary?

A good vet can help you so much as well.

If looking for a pet only, you can get it cheaper than buying for a show breeder. Many breeders sell cheaper as pets and require the dog to be fixed. It is the exact same with the show bloodline, only spayed or neutered.

ForeverChiefs58
11-14-2018, 11:47 AM
The first litter I had she had 18 puppies.

Pretty crazy.

tooge
11-14-2018, 12:07 PM
How are your knees? I think Danes are pretty tall but you will probably have to get on your knees to suck it off. Guy like you should get a little dog

ForeverChiefs58
11-14-2018, 12:10 PM
I just looked up George the worlds biggest Great Dane.

He is a Blue Great Dane and weighed 250 pounds, which is crazy. He lived to be 8, or one month shy of 8.

That is the biggest one in the world though.

I googled it and it says their ave lifespan is 8-10.

Of course it could be a little longer or shorter, but is the ave. Many age problems can be genitic as well, and a vet can better guide you through that as well.

Had a Boston, or now called Mantles, develop hip problems when it got older and my vet blamed his genetics. But there wasn’t any history of hip problems anywhere in family history. I believe he died around 10.

The best dog I ever had I sold when he was two. The guy insisted on getting him fixed first. He got a blood clot during surgery that passed through his heart and he died. I was told that was very rare. Didn’t suck any less.

tooge
11-14-2018, 12:15 PM
All joking aside, here are a few considerations. I have a very large dog (swiss mountain dog), and so these are things to know with ultra large dogs. Mine weighs about 140lbs.
1. Feeding them is expensive
2. They pee large quantities of piss, it will kill your grass
3. Giant poops. Have a place to throw lots of shit
4. If you go out of town, it costs more to board them at some places, and friends don't generally offer up to watch them at their place due to the sheer size of them.
5. Shortened life span. 10 years would be really long

Having said the above, I love having an enormous dog. When they sit by you on the couch or on your lap it's pretty calming. Also, when people come to the door and hear THAT bark, it's intimidating. Good luck

ForeverChiefs58
11-14-2018, 12:15 PM
How are your knees? I think Danes are pretty tall but you will probably have to get on your knees to suck it off. Guy like you should get a little dog

You seem nice. Lol

I had a male was being studded out. Before someone pays for your male to breed with their female, they want to know the male’s sperm is good.

You take it to a vet and they get his sperm and test it.

I asked him how he got it, he has a tech jerk it off.

If that wasn’t surprising enough, I couldn’t believe they only charged $25 bucks to do it lol

Dayze
11-14-2018, 12:27 PM
the roommate of a relative of mine had a Dane. he was awesome. as others have described in here; he was clumsy, happy go lucky, and thought he was a small dog. he would sit on the couch like a person, with his front paws on the ground LMAO.

super lovey and snuggly. he would 'snuggle' in on top of you while sitting next to you on the couch.

ChiefBlueCFC
11-14-2018, 12:34 PM
PLEASE POST PICTURES WHEN YOU GET YOUR DOGGGG!!!

ChiefBlueCFC
11-14-2018, 12:35 PM
SORRY I SHOULD'VE MADE THE FONT LARGER, PLEASE POST PICTURES OF YOUR DOG

burt
11-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Sorry, I like Dane. He calls me an asshole and I call him a douchebag and we go on

A bit pompous....but I like the hell outta him...