PDA

View Full Version : Money Flight insurance

The Bad Guy
11-13-2018, 08:04 PM
I'm debating bringing out my son to Arrowhead for the playoffs. Airfare is pretty cheap right now. Wanted to purchase the insurance in case something comes up, Chiefs shit the bed, etc, etc.

Is there any ones that are better than others to get flight insurance through? I want to just be able to cancel the flight if need be without a hassle.

Thanks in advance.

DaFace
11-13-2018, 08:06 PM
I don't think "the Chiefs got knocked out" is gonna cut it for any flight insurance that I'm aware of.

Buy your tickets on Southwest. Don't get a non-refundable hotel or rental car. That's your best bet.

chinaski
11-13-2018, 08:07 PM
I'm debating bringing out my son to Arrowhead for the playoffs. Airfare is pretty cheap right now. Wanted to purchase the insurance in case something comes up, Chiefs shit the bed, etc, etc.

Is there any ones that are better than others to get flight insurance through? I want to just be able to cancel the flight if need be without a hassle.

Thanks in advance.

Just buy a refundable ticket, may cost you a little more, but it's peace of mind?

Maine
We should probably ask Rain Man

NJChiefsFan
http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/omnisport/99/81/mahomes-patrick-09172018-getty-ftr_1isu6zulvm2v010nsa9htg5t1k.jpg?t=-379233187&w=960&quality=70

Chiefs already purchased the insurance for you.

DaFace
11-13-2018, 08:10 PM
I lied. There are Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) insurance plans out there. But they'll run you like 20% of the cost of your trip, and you'd have to deal with filing a claim. I'd still just get refundable tickets. But I've always gotten good use out of this site for finding travel insurance in general.

https://www.insuremytrip.com

Bearcat
11-13-2018, 08:14 PM
(almost all) Insurance is a scam.

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-13-2018, 08:19 PM

It's actually not...it's actuarial science. You should buy insurance on something or yourself with the hope you don't need it, however, if you do need it, it is quite cheap.

Hoover
11-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Just fly southwest. You can cancel and apply fund to a future flight

Third Eye
11-13-2018, 08:39 PM

What am I incredibly weird thing to say. Now you could fairly say that improperly priced insurance is a scam, sure. Also, if you’re independently wealthy then maybe it makes sense to not pay the built in margins, but still not a scam.

Bearcat
11-13-2018, 09:02 PM
It's actually not...it's actuarial science. You should buy insurance on something or yourself with the hope you don't need it, however, if you do need it, it is quite cheap.

Check out the Fortune 500 and tell me it's not a scam.

Of course it's cheap, it's an exact correlation to the chance of actually needing it. And outside of something like medical insurance, where one bad thing could easily make up everything you've ever paid into it and more, you're more than likely just profit for the insurance company.... oh, and they'll do everything they possibly can to not give you money if you ever need it.

And that's not even mentioning shit like Ticketmaster insurance, where they charge insane 25% fees and then want you to pay another $20 just in case.... fuckers.

(and if you think I'm just bitter, I've never been screwed over by insurance.... outside of having to pay it for years and years and years).

alpha_omega
11-13-2018, 09:29 PM
Just fly southwest. You can cancel and apply fund to a future flight

My first thought too. But that is only for a year I believe.

Hoover
11-13-2018, 09:31 PM
My first thought too. But that is only for a year I believe.

Can always fly to Vegas and bet on the Chiefs some weekend!

The Bad Guy
11-13-2018, 10:27 PM
I may just wait until the week before. The refundable flights I saw today were outrageous.There isn't a Southwest airport within 3 hours of me so that won't work.

Thanks, guys!

SuperBowl4
11-13-2018, 11:09 PM
The "chiefs shit the bed" is not covered. Read the fine print

Rain Man
11-13-2018, 11:39 PM
Flight insurance is for the meek. Cast yourself out into the world with abandon.

Buck
11-13-2018, 11:44 PM
Can’t your son just come visit you regardless of whether the Chiefs make it or not?

The Bad Guy
11-14-2018, 05:35 AM
Can’t your son just come visit you regardless of whether the Chiefs make it or not?

I should have phrased it better. He's 9. We live in PA and would be both flying out together.

Maine
11-14-2018, 07:32 AM
Flight insurance is for the meek. Cast yourself out into the world with abandon.

Thank you

DanT
11-14-2018, 08:41 AM
When my in-laws were very old -- one lived to 98 and the other to 101 -- I would often buy the Allianz Travel Insurance that United Airlines offers through their website, just in case i needed to get home in a hurry. I ended up filing a couple of claims with them because of travel delays in Denver, and i was satisfied with their customer service and reimbursements. Now i use a fancy credit card that provides travel insurance for trips purchased with it.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-14-2018, 09:37 AM
I may just wait until the week before. The refundable flights I saw today were outrageous.There isn't a Southwest airport within 3 hours of me so that won't work.

Thanks, guys!

uh, buying flights less than 21 days out is generally not a good fiscal move.