PDA

View Full Version : Football Les Miles settles buyout with LSU; is a new job on the horizon?

T-post Tom
11-15-2018, 04:17 PM
New golf buddy for Bill Self?

Les Miles and LSU announced Thursday that they reached an agreement on what the school owes Miles.

Miles, 65, was fired as LSU’s coach during the 2016 season and the school agreed to pay him over $9 million as part of that termination. Thursday, the school said it would pay $1.5 million of the remaining $6.5 million it owed Miles through 2023.

“It’s time for both parties to move forward,” LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said in a statement. “One of the challenges of the buyout that was in place was there just wasn’t a lot of incentive to move on to other things. We are looking to provide that and Coach Miles and his representatives also were ready. It was a mutually agreed upon goal and a very positive process from beginning to end.”

t’s easy to read Alleva’s statement and wonder if this means Miles has a very good shot at landing another coaching job in 2019. Miles has been out of coaching since he was fired at LSU and has said he wants to coach again.

He’s been prominently mentioned as a candidate at Kansas, which is parting ways with coach David Beaty at the end of the season. Miles and Kansas athletic director Jeff Long previously worked together at Michigan and Long made Miles an offer while he was the athletic director at Arkansas.

Tuesday, Kansas even filed a flight plan to Baton Rouge, where Miles still lives. That was an apparent head fake. The plane went to Colorado. We’ll find out whether or not that was a troll of Kansas fans or a sign of who will be the next coach in the next couple weeks.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/les-miles-settles-buyout-lsu-new-job-horizon-214713006.html

Imon Yourside
11-15-2018, 04:20 PM
Colorado

TribalElder
11-15-2018, 04:25 PM
KANSAS!!!!

T-post Tom
11-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Colorado

Rest of Big 12 hoping it's not Kansas.

Imon Yourside
11-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Rest of Big 12 hoping it's not Kansas.

We will wait and see but thus far Colorado seems where he will end up. He has roots there and has a lot of friends as well. That being said we can do a lot worse than Miles.

Imon Yourside
11-15-2018, 04:39 PM
KANSAS!!!!

It's a good thing the Tigers left the Big 12 huh?

Spott
11-15-2018, 04:41 PM
He's not coming out of retirement to go to Kansas. I could see Colorado as a possibility, though.

T-post Tom
11-15-2018, 04:43 PM
It's a good thing the Tigers left the Big 12 huh?

Regarding football? Good for Georgia,Florida,Kentucky,S.Carolina, & Tenn... :D

TambaBerry
11-15-2018, 04:58 PM
He's not coming out of retirement to go to Kansas. I could see Colorado as a possibility, though.

because colorado and the shit pac 12 is better? Have you seen what coaches say about the pac 12?

The Franchise
11-16-2018, 03:59 PM
He’s headed to Kansas.

The Franchise
11-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger reports that Kansas is finalizing a contract agreement with former LSU HC Les Miles.
Per Dellenger, an announcement on Miles' hiring could come as early as this weekend. The former Tigers head coach has been linked to the open job in Lawrence ever since the team fired David Beaty at the beginning of the month. He and KU AD Jeff Long have a relationship which goes back to the 1980's. Miles went 114-34 at LSU prior to his midseason firing in 2016, but would be in for a major rebuilding project with Kansas should he accept this job. Potential contract length and monetary terms, here, remain an unknown. Stay tuned.

Imon Yourside
11-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Yup, I'll take Miles all day everyday. Great hire for our program peeps. :)

My best bud is an LSU alum, he loves Miles as well.

Imon Yourside
11-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Regarding football? Good for Georgia,Florida,Kentucky,S.Carolina, & Tenn... :D

Right! Not so much for the Tigaz.

big nasty kcnut
11-16-2018, 07:56 PM
If les miles can make fatass demarcus russell a first round first pick qb he can do anything.

Randallflagg
11-16-2018, 10:07 PM
because colorado and the shit pac 12 is better? Have you seen what coaches say about the pac 12?

Not saying where he’s going - I have no idea, but COLORADO!?!? Seriously!?!? ROFL

Reerun_KC
11-16-2018, 10:14 PM

Spott on analysis.

Raiderhater
11-16-2018, 11:42 PM
We will wait and see but thus far Colorado seems where he will end up. He has roots there and has a lot of friends as well. That being said we can do a lot worse than Miles.

LMAO No shit.

JakeF
11-16-2018, 11:44 PM
Oops.

ROYC75
11-17-2018, 01:11 AM
Spott on analysis.

Touche!

Mr_Tomahawk
11-17-2018, 06:55 AM
I’m not against this hire...

...but what’s in it for Les?

At 65 years old, he isn’t going to be very desirable to other programs at, say 70 years old if he does the unthinkable and turns the KU Football Program around.

Is he thinking he will retire at KU?

Is he just looking for another pay day from a programs with little expectations like so many others?

I just don’t get the hire from Les’ side of things...

New World Order
11-17-2018, 07:19 AM
Mangino, Mangino

GloucesterChief
11-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Yeah, Les squandered a lot of NFL talent at LSU with an ancient offensive philosophy. Not sure how well that will translate to Kansas or the Big 12. A Leach disciple probably would be a better fit?

ILChief
11-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Good hire to get them at least to respectability and minor bowl games

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-17-2018, 10:18 AM
He gave up $5 million to coach at one of the three worst Power Five schools. So even if his contract is 5/15-20, he'll be losing a quarter to a third of that. Miles recruited well at LSU, but that school recruits itself. I'm sure he'll bring in better recruits to Kansas, but his archaic philosophy will hamstring them.

Buehler445
11-17-2018, 10:26 AM
He gave up $5 million to coach at one of the three worst Power Five schools. So even if his contract is 5/15-20, he'll be losing a quarter to a third of that. Miles recruited well at LSU, but that school recruits itself. I'm sure he'll bring in better recruits to Kansas, but his archaic philosophy will hamstring them.

It would be insanely retarded to not force Miles to turn over the offense. So KU probably won’t.

Reerun_KC
11-17-2018, 10:42 AM

He isn’t coming out of retirement to coach Kansas. Don’t worry about KU

vailpass
11-17-2018, 11:23 AM

Imagine the difference in going from the LSU program to the Kansas program. This one surprises me. Unless it’s about one more big $ contract before he hangs it up.

ROYC75
11-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Imagine the difference in going from the LSU program to the Kansas program. This one surprises me. Unless it’s about one more big $ contract before he hangs it up.

That or it's a HUGH challenge he thinks he can do to prove to LSU they made a mistake .... in other words, his ego !

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-17-2018, 02:10 PM
That or it's a HUGH challenge he thinks he can do to prove to LSU they made a mistake .... in other words, his ego !

I doubt that a 65-year-old with a dinosaur philosophy is in much demand for a lot of jobs. He recruited well at LSU, but they didn't have any drop off in recruiting after bringing in Orgeron.

TambaBerry
11-17-2018, 02:47 PM

the jealousy here is hilarious holy fuck

threebag
11-17-2018, 02:51 PM
Maybe he’s onboard for the premium basketball tix

Randallflagg
11-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Well, again, no idea where he is going to end up - but CBS Sports and ESPN have him going to Kansas......

notorious
11-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Way better than anybody else KU could draw.

Valiant
11-17-2018, 04:14 PM
It is a win for him. If he gets the program to a bowl in 2 to 3 years in a mostly weak power 5 he will get an offer from a good school.

RealSNR
11-17-2018, 05:00 PM
It is a win for him. If he gets the program to a bowl in 2 to 3 years in a mostly weak power 5 he will get an offer from a good school.

He's currently 65. Is a top program really going to want him?

If you're USC or some SEC school, would you be satisfied for having Les around for only like 5 years?

BryanBusby
11-17-2018, 05:26 PM
He'd be nearly 70. I think Kansas is his last stop and he's probably ok with it, as Jeff Long is an AD that absolutely doesn't want to fire guys that he hires.

The job will be minimal stress with zero expectations for awhile and they are probably giving him a nice contract. Don't know why he'd want another high stress gig at nearly 70.

Titty Meat
11-17-2018, 06:38 PM
the jealousy here is hilarious holy ****

Nobody is jealous of Les Miles

BryanBusby
11-17-2018, 06:56 PM
How could you not be jealous over the possibility of having Cam Cameron run your Offense from 1992

TambaBerry
11-17-2018, 07:22 PM

That entire statement that dude made was pure jealousy

Titty Meat
11-17-2018, 07:28 PM

Not at all. Miles had all the resources and flamed out toward the end at LSU. KU is a huge rebuild it will take atleast 3 years to make them competitive. He will be 67 then.

I think there was a pretty good reason when NU, UF, FSU, A&M, Oregon, and UCLA all had openings last year and none of them came knocking.

TambaBerry
11-17-2018, 08:12 PM
Not at all. Miles had all the resources and flamed out toward the end at LSU. KU is a huge rebuild it will take atleast 3 years to make them competitive. He will be 67 then.

I think there was a pretty good reason when NU, UF, FSU, A&M, Oregon, and UCLA all had openings last year and none of them came knocking.

How do you know he was ready to come back?

Pants
11-17-2018, 08:18 PM
...NU, UF, FSU, A&M, Oregon, and UCLA all had openings...

One of these things is not like the other, Billy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-17-2018, 08:29 PM

It was not. Nobody is worried about Les Miles. Hell, when we were talking about shitcanning Odom, Miles was mentioned as an awful hire precisely because he failed at a place where he had all the advantages. I'm sure he'll get the right bag men in place to get you better recruits than you've had in many years, but your offenses will still get poleaxed. His offenses weren't even that good when he had guys like Odell Beckham and Leonard Fournette.

MahiMike
11-17-2018, 08:29 PM
I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more legs. This is a really big get for Kansas.

Imon Yourside
11-17-2018, 08:51 PM
I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more legs. This is a really big get for Kansas.

Well it's not formally announced yet, in a holding pattern.

TambaBerry
11-17-2018, 09:54 PM
It was not. Nobody is worried about Les Miles. Hell, when we were talking about shitcanning Odom, Miles was mentioned as an awful hire precisely because he failed at a place where he had all the advantages. I'm sure he'll get the right bag men in place to get you better recruits than you've had in many years, but your offenses will still get poleaxed. His offenses weren't even that good when he had guys like Odell Beckham and Leonard Fournette.

its just simply not true lol

TambaBerry
11-17-2018, 09:56 PM
2016 - 39th offense
2015 - 77th
2014 - 35th

just awful offenses lol

TambaBerry
11-17-2018, 09:58 PM
2014 - 15th defense
2015 - 9th
2016 - 25th

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-17-2018, 09:59 PM
2016 - 39th offense
2015 - 77th
2014 - 35th

just awful offenses lol

He was fired four games in to 2016. And those are awful results with that talent.

Titty Meat
11-17-2018, 10:06 PM
2016 - 39th offense
2015 - 77th
2014 - 35th

just awful offenses lol

39th offense at a school like LSU is pretty bad. Again take into account 1/3 of those games are against cupcakes.

Buehler445
11-17-2018, 10:44 PM

I have 3 main concerns with the hire.

1. The offense. Those LSU offenses win 0 games in the Big 12 without those LSU defenses - which he won't have. Hopefully he hires a good coordinator and steps away.

2. The Charlie Weis treatment. I don't think he'd do that to his friend, but man, I'm jaded as fuck.

3. At LSU, he was criminally limited to Louisiana recruits. Now, Louisianna has a fuckton of recruits and it is kind of defensible. I hope he's not thinking he can do that at Kansas.

Is he better than Beaty, and Radio? Absolutely. Positively, Yes. Is he better than Weis? Fuck he better be. Will he be enough to get consistently to +.500? That's a tall order.

Titty Meat
11-17-2018, 10:47 PM
I have 3 main concerns with the hire.

1. The offense. Those LSU offenses win 0 games in the Big 12 without those LSU defenses - which he won't have. Hopefully he hires a good coordinator and steps away.

2. The Charlie Weis treatment. I don't think he'd do that to his friend, but man, I'm jaded as ****.

3. At LSU, he was criminally limited to Louisiana recruits. Now, Louisianna has a ****ton of recruits and it is kind of defensible. I hope he's not thinking he can do that at Kansas.

Is he better than Beaty, and Radio? Absolutely. Positively, Yes. Is he better than Weis? **** he better be. Will he be enough to get consistently to +.500? That's a tall order.

I dont think he will consistently be over .500 no coach at KU has. He will win 7 or 8 games there though and the last decade that's been a fantasy. He will get some good players too. It's all about expectations my friend. I can tell you a thing or 2 about a fan base that has been unrealistic in the past :)

MahiMike
11-17-2018, 10:50 PM
2016 - 39th offense
2015 - 77th
2014 - 35th

just awful offenses lol

Statistics are deceptive. Les Miles knows how to pull out a trick play to win a game when it's needed.

Buehler445
11-17-2018, 10:56 PM
I dont think he will consistently be over .500 no coach at KU has. He will win 7 or 8 games there though and the last decade that's been a fantasy. He will get some good players too. It's all about expectations my friend. I can tell you a thing or 2 about a fan base that has been unrealistic in the past :)

6-6 is .500 yo. Win the 3 non-cons, go 3-6 in conference. Do some shit bowl, everyone is happy.

ROYC75
11-17-2018, 11:12 PM
Play-by-play announcer Tim Brando, a close friend of Miles’ who gave the Miles-to-KU talk life via Twitter a couple of weeks ago, referenced Miles vaguely throughout Saturday’s broadcast and pushed the excitement meter up a notch or two near the end of the game.

With just a few minutes remaining and the outcome decided, Brando said there would be news, “more than likely (Sunday),” out of Lawrence and then went on to gush about Miles’ ability, how he could put together a quality staff and why he believed Miles could turn things around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

According to flightaware.com there is a flight at 7:10 am from Raleigh-Durham to Topeka Regional landing at 9:21 am. Miles was at his son Manny’s senior day in Chapel Hill. Coincidence with the flight or is this one carrying precious $4 mil/year cargo?

ROYC75
11-17-2018, 11:15 PM

It has been rough since Mangino left, it literally bout ran me off, but 7 to 8+ wins a year and all of Jayhawk Football Nation will be reborn all over again.

Titty Meat
11-18-2018, 12:34 AM
6-6 is .500 yo. Win the 3 non-cons, go 3-6 in conference. Do some shit bowl, everyone is happy.

I get it but every year? That's asking alot for a program that's never done it. Maybe Miles lays that ground work but look at when Snyder took over Kstate he wasnt 64. Ok that's an extreme example because Snyder is a HOF coach. How bout Pinkel at MU? Or Fitzgerald at Northwestern? I get why KU would hire Miles but if the goal is what you're describing I'm not sure a 64 year old coach is it.

ROYC75
11-18-2018, 12:45 AM
I get it but every year? That's asking alot for a program that's never done it. Maybe Miles lays that ground work but look at when Snyder took over Kstate he wasnt 64. Ok that's an extreme example because Snyder is a HOF coach. How bout Pinkel at MU? Or Fitzgerald at Northwestern? I get why KU would hire Miles but if the goal is what you're describing I'm not sure a 64 year old coach is it.

It's not like Miles won't have any talent to work with? Our roster is loaded with potential in underclassmen. We will need a good QB, OC,and DC to coach up and let Miles try to fill in the holes.

This KU team is getting better, the talent hat was found the last 2 years is getting much better. Beaty just ran out of time because of his slow first 2 years with the fan base and a new AD.

I fully expect Miles to come in, shore up a few things and in year 2, become bowl eligible somewhere. We should be 5 -6 now, but because of some stupid shit happening in 2 games, we are not. Tonight's performance is a glimpse of what is to come with a few more players and better coaching.

Buehler445
11-18-2018, 12:49 AM

It’s doable. Fatgino had a few year streak where he was bowl eligible. Plus the bottom of the big 12 is soft. Tcu probably won’t be awful for long but Baylor and KSU look like they will be. Win those 2 and just go get one.

displacedinMN
11-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Looks like this is happening.

This is the ultimate test of college football.

Is it the coach? players? Is he good or did he have talent at LSU?

Bump
11-18-2018, 04:28 PM
It’s doable. Fatgino had a few year streak where he was bowl eligible. Plus the bottom of the big 12 is soft. Tcu probably won’t be awful for long but Baylor and KSU look like they will be. Win those 2 and just go get one.

I remember all of the missouri rage around here when Mangino's KU got the Orange Bowl that year. It was funny.

BWillie
11-18-2018, 09:33 PM

Les Miles goal is to win football games - not put up stats. His philosophy has alot to do with ball control and time of possession. Probably pretty similar to how Kirk Ferentz & Iowa play - even though they have opened it up a little more lately. You can win alot of football games by slinging it around - and - you can also win alot of football games playing an efficient ball control offense with a solid defense.

Coach
11-18-2018, 09:58 PM
Is he better than Beaty, and Radio? Absolutely. Positively, Yes. Is he better than Weis? Fuck he better be. Will he be enough to get consistently to +.500? That's a tall order.

Weis was a schematic fraud. He got the ND gig because of Tom Brady. Josh McDaniels is another example when he flamed out in Denver.

Les Miles is (should) better than Weis anyways.

The big thing KU (and other fans need to realize) has to deal with is a large number of scholarship players they have available. Didn't help the fact that Beaty nabbed 10 JUCO players in 2018. Not to mention they lose 6/7 starters on offense and 7/8 on defense, and if my memory serves me right, this team has quite a few upper classmen.

So, Miles will likely need at least 2 recruiting cycles to catch up, since in 2019, KU only has one commit. That's it.

Kiimo
11-18-2018, 10:14 PM
The scholarship thing is going to be an issue. They should seriously consider redshirting the entire class and tanking next year if they have to.

bowener
11-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Weis was a schematic fraud. He got the ND gig because of Tom Brady. Josh McDaniels is another example when he flamed out in Denver.

The big thing KU (and other fans need to realize) has to deal with is a large number of scholarship players they have available. Didn't help the fact that Beaty nabbed 10 JUCO players in 2018. Not to mention they lose 6/7 starters on offense and 7/8 on defense, and if my memory serves me right, this team has quite a few upper classmen.

So, Miles will likely need at least 2 recruiting cycles to catch up, since in 2019, KU only has one commit. That's it.

I'm not a ku fan so I may be wrong on this, but they had a promotional ad during the ku basketball game on Friday that said 30 seniors. That is a ridiculous number so I assume that includes kids that aren't on the active roster or something. As for guys that actually play I think it is 10 or fewer.

T-post Tom
11-19-2018, 10:43 AM
You guys are great, but have to do it :D ...

He isn’t coming out of retirement to coach Kansas. Don’t worry about KU

Colorado

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F1118%2Fr465669_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=920&h=518&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin

BryanBusby
11-19-2018, 10:48 AM

Weis got 27 TD's out of Matt Cassel. Fucking 27, and made Thomas Jones still look capable. He just had no business in NCAA, or being a HC.