PDA

View Full Version : Football Browns want to interview Condoleezza Rice for head-coaching job

RippedmyFlesh
11-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

Browns general manager John Dorsey said last week that he was opening to hiring a woman as Cleveland's next head coach, and there is one prominent name on the team's wish list to interview.

The Browns would like to interview former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for their head coaching job, a league source tells ESPN.

If the Browns follow through on their plans, Rice would become the first woman ever to interview for an NFL head coaching job.

Cleveland's interest in interviewing Rice comes at a time when women recently have moved into decision-making roles in men's professional sports. The Spurs hired Becky Hammon as an assistant coach, the Buffalo Bills hired Kathryn Smith as a quality control assistant, the Raiders hired Kelsey Martinez to their strength staff, and the 49ers hired Katie Sowers as an offensive assistant.

A potential interview hardly means the Browns will hire Rice, but they are interested in talking to her about the job and seeing what she could bring to the position and the organization.

"She's an amazing person," one Browns source told ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25310452/cleveland-browns-want-interview-condoleezza-rice-head-coaching-job

Well?

Maine
11-18-2018, 09:49 AM
:spock:

Woman official, women coaches, let the women play and more men cheerleaders!

bigjosh
11-18-2018, 09:50 AM
She would have Cleveland dropping bombs in no time.

Hammock Parties
The Browns aren't accomplishing anything on the field so they might as well be a beacon for affirmative action.

mikeyis4dcats.
did I miss something, does she have football experience? I get the idea for GM or support roles, but WTF would you want a head coach with no football experience?

ptlyon
11-18-2018, 09:51 AM
She would have Cleveland dropping bombs in no time.

They already are

Coach
11-18-2018, 09:51 AM
did I miss something, does she have football experience? I get the idea for GM or support roles, but WTF would you want a head coach with no football experience?

That's pretty much my concern as well.

I'm sure her leadership skills is pretty good, but I have absolutely no idea how she is on X and O's and game management.

RealSNR
11-18-2018, 09:52 AM
"Cunnilingus Rice sounds like a Mexican dish. Maybe we should put her on a plate and send her to Mexico so the Mexicans will eat her." -Clayton Bigsby

WhawhaWhat
11-18-2018, 09:52 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/p12uW5pXkocko/giphy.gif

Hammock Parties
11-18-2018, 09:53 AM
The funny thing is, this would be one of the greatest "accomplishments" of the progressive movement ever, and progressive wouldn't even care because she's a Republican.

InChiefsHeaven
11-18-2018, 09:57 AM
As I recall, she was touted as a real fan of the game, I think she was in a booth interview years ago on a Monday night or something, and people were really impressed with her knowledge of the Xs and Os of the game. At the time, there was talk of her being the Commisioner, or some other executive position. Certainly not a coach.

This smells of a PR stunt, but she IS quite knowledgeable about the game.

stevieray
11-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Next thing you know, the LPGA will be using female caddies

MahomesMagic
11-18-2018, 09:59 AM
It's perfect.

"Indeed, the hurricane had hit New Orleans. … I called Secretary of Homeland Security Mike Chertoff , inquiring if there was anything I could do. 'It's pretty bad,' he said. We discussed the question of foreign help briefly, but Mike was clearly in a hurry. He said he'd call if he needed me. I hung up, got dressed, and went to see Spamalot.

"The next morning, I went shopping at the Ferragamo shoe store down the block from my hotel, returned to the Palace … and again turned on the television. The airwaves were filled with devastating pictures from New Orleans."
https://www.businessinsider.com/condi-rice-shoe-shopping-katrina-2011-10

Condi Rice

RippedmyFlesh
11-18-2018, 10:01 AM
As I recall, she was touted as a real fan of the game, I think she was in a booth interview years ago on a Monday night or something, and people were really impressed with her knowledge of the Xs and Os of the game. At the time, there was talk of her being the Commisioner, or some other executive position. Certainly not a coach.

yep

She was one of the inaugural members of the College Football Playoff selection committee, where she worked from 2013 to 2016.

Rice also recently chaired a commision on college basketball that recommended major changes to the sport this year, including an end to the one-and-done rule.

bigjosh
11-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Perhaps they think a head coach could simply delegate down to more knowledgeable staff on the offensive and defensive sides. Itís a corporate mindset.

RippedmyFlesh
11-18-2018, 10:03 AM
What's weird is could I see myself voting for her for president? Yes
Coach my franchise qb? No fucking way. I guess my priorities are a bit skewed.

ptlyon
11-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Next thing you know, the LPGA will be using female caddies

SO HAWT

staylor26
11-18-2018, 10:36 AM
What the fuck is going on? I fully expected this to be a joke, but it appears this is real?

Easy 6
11-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Feel good PR stunt

NWTF
11-18-2018, 10:44 AM

I vaguely remember that moment. She was pretty knowledgeable and in tune with the game, way more so than the typical fan. I cant see this actually happening though. Its one thing to be quite knowledgeable and an avid fan but HC at the professional level for your first go at coaching is ridiculous.

Marcellus
11-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Damn its tough being a Browns fan.

carcosa
11-18-2018, 10:48 AM
She could finally broker peace in the AFC North!!!!

dlphg9
11-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Hell it might be a good idea. Get a coach who is great at motivating people and can get the best out of everyone. She doesn't have to really be an expert about football, because she can hire great coordinators and assistants. It's a great corporate mindset. Surround yourself with people that are experts at what they do and let the experts run the offense and defense. It would be a great PR move for the Browns and it would have a pretty decent shot at working. The only problem I could see is if the players didn't respect her, but I think they would since she is a former Secretary of State.

Coochie liquor
11-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Hopefully Dungver steals her away!

Marcellus
11-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Hell it might be a good idea. Get a coach who is great at motivating people and can get the best out of everyone. She doesn't have to really be an expert about football, because she can hire great coordinators and assistants. It's a great corporate mindset. Surround yourself with people that are experts at what they do and let the experts run the offense and defense. It would be a great PR move for the Browns and it would have a pretty decent shot at working. The only problem I could see is if the players didn't respect her, but I think they would since she is a former Secretary of State.

ROFL

Spott
11-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Whoever she is, she can't do any worse than going 0-16 like the last guy did.

chiefzilla1501
11-18-2018, 11:00 AM

I've heard that too. Head coach no, but I'm surprised she's not in the NFL somewhere.

patteeu
11-18-2018, 11:02 AM

She's a big NFL fan and she used to date a Bronco, I think. She's always said her dream job would be NFL commissioner.

patteeu
11-18-2018, 11:04 AM
She's a big NFL fan and she used to date a Bronco, I think. She's always said her dream job would be NFL commissioner.

Apparently she's had two romantic(?) relationships with NFL people (http://mentalfloss.com/article/28784/five-potentially-great-power-couples-and-why-they-never-made-it):

5. Condoleezza Rice and Gene Washington
Condoleezza Rice has never been shy about her love for football and has even expressed an interest in one day becoming commissioner of the NFL. So it’s no surprise that she’s been linked to former wide receiver and NFL director of football operations Gene Washington. The two met while Washington was an assistant athletic director at Stanford, where she was teaching (and even sat on the school’s search committee for a new football coach), and have stayed friends ever since. When Washington accompanied Rice for a 2007 state dinner with Queen Elizabeth II, rumors were rampant that the two were dating. Even though they’ve been spotted together since, both Rice and Washington insist that they’re just friends.

Washington, who retired from his NFL post last year, is not Rice’s only (rumored) football beau. She was engaged to Denver Broncos wide receiver Rick Upchurch in the 1970s, although she broke it off because she knew the relationship wouldn’t work. But of course, no potential Rice coupling could ever be as powerful as her unfortunately unsuccessful pairing with 30 Rock’s Jack Donaghy.

BDj23
11-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Stunning and brave!

pugsnotdrugs19
11-18-2018, 11:11 AM
This seems stupid as fuck tbh. At least pick a female who has a football background.

TLO
11-18-2018, 11:12 AM
This would be hilarious.

Cave Johnson
11-18-2018, 11:40 AM
John Dorsey hitched his wagon to an insane asylum.

Cave Johnson
11-18-2018, 11:42 AM
This seems stupid as **** tbh. At least pick a female who has a football background.

Brought to you by the frauster owner who drafted Johnny Foosball because a homeless guy wanted him.

T-post Tom
11-18-2018, 11:47 AM
Forget the Rooney rule. This could be the precursor to the Rice rule.

wazu
11-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Please let this happen.

WhawhaWhat
11-18-2018, 11:49 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Statement from GM John Dorsey: <a href="https://t.co/aQExOzX0ge">pic.twitter.com/aQExOzX0ge</a></p>&mdash; Cleveland Browns (@Browns) <a href="https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1064212739839545344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cave Johnson
11-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Please let this happen.

Canít be worse than Gruden.

Baby Lee
11-18-2018, 12:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsS-j7rW0AUKlPw.jpg:large

T-post Tom
11-18-2018, 12:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsS-j7rW0AUKlPw.jpg:large

Cave Johnson
11-18-2018, 12:07 PM

Lol.

3, 1, 2 all day.

Shaid
11-18-2018, 12:15 PM
This feels like an Onion article.

rabblerouser
11-18-2018, 12:17 PM

-King-
11-18-2018, 01:31 PM
Schefter is such an idiot for taking that seriously
Posted via Mobile Device

RippedmyFlesh
11-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Schefter is such an idiot for taking that seriously
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep kind of the point of the thread in a way.

RippedmyFlesh
11-18-2018, 01:36 PM

nottheonion.com

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25310452/cleveland-browns-want-interview-condoleezza-rice-head-coaching-job

espn journalism

KChiefs1
11-18-2018, 01:38 PM
It's all in her plan to be President.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demonpenz
11-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Goldie Hawn is Jackie Robinson.

eDave
11-18-2018, 01:47 PM

/r/nottheonion (https://www.reddit.com/r/nottheonion/)

ClevelandBronco
11-18-2018, 02:07 PM
This is such a bizarre idea that I really hope that 1) they do it, and 2) it works.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-18-2018, 02:28 PM
I don't know how Dorsey could do this. As far as I know, the Whites still own her rights given that she was a trade kicker in the deal that brought in Colin Powell from the Blacks in early 2004.

cookster50
11-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Wife told me this was a headline she read and I said that's got to be the onion. Just wow.

JohnnyHammersticks
11-18-2018, 04:33 PM
If I was a Browns fan I'd be pissed that they're considering Rice over both Oprah AND Whoopie. Is it any wonder why that franchise is a disaster?

Rain Man
11-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Wait, this isn't a joke?

alpha_omega
11-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Dumb. Team president, sure....head coach, no way.

Naptown Chief
11-18-2018, 04:50 PM
"Cunnilingus Rice sounds like a Mexican dish. Maybe we should put her on a plate and send her to Mexico so the Mexicans will eat her." -Clayton Bigsby

YAAASSS!!

SuperBowl4
11-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Wolfowitz would be a better choice

ku_jhawk23
11-18-2018, 05:00 PM
I don't know how Dorsey could do this. As far as I know, the Whites still own her rights given that she was a trade kicker in the deal that brought in Colin Powell from the Blacks in early 2004.

Quality reference :)