PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ford Vs. Clowney

okiedokieokoye
11-27-2018, 02:57 PM
I was watching Clowney play last night and I was obsessed with that guy before the draft and a little bummed that there was no way we were going to be able to draft him. I was a bit skeptical about our selection of Dee Ford, but in hindsight, did we get the better deal? I also remembered that back in 2014 Dee Ford claimed he was better than Clowney. I thought it might be fun to compare stats.

Stats since they were both drafted in 2014:
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/2283/WcynFC.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS -- Dee Ford took aim at Jadeveon Clowney on Sunday, and minced no words in trying to establish himself as the top pass rusher in the NFL draft. Comparing Clowney's reckless style of play to "a blind dog in a meat market," the 6-foot-2, 250-pound pass rusher who was the star of the Senior Bowl didn't back off a bit.

“I'm better (than Clowney). Let's put it like this. People like to talk about size all the time. Size is pretty much overrated in my eyes," Ford said on Sirius XM NFL Radio Sunday. "You can look at guys like Robert Mathis, Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller. These are 6-2 guys and under. People are just looking at the fact that he's a physical specimen. Honestly if you watch the film, he plays like a blind dog in a meat market, basically."

Direckshun
11-27-2018, 03:28 PM
John Dorsey was such a damn stud.

Eleazar
11-27-2018, 03:28 PM
He's not Reggie White or anything, there was way too much hype before the draft, but Clowney is still a great pass rusher that will deserve the huge contract that's coming his way. He's a difference maker on a defense. I think the fact that he does this as an end and not from a linebacker spot makes him a little more valuable too. Ford's a nice player but if you gave me a whole career of both? I'll take Clowney.

JakeF
11-27-2018, 03:54 PM
Tackle for loss is a huge difference, Clowney is much more physical than Ford. I worry that Ford seems to be playing with more intensity in his contract year than he had before.

WhiteWhale
11-27-2018, 03:57 PM
Tackle for loss is a huge difference, Clowney is much more physical than Ford. I worry that Ford seems to be playing with more intensity in his contract year than he had before.

Ford had been good the past 2 seasons after a bit of a lackluster start. He's healthy this year. That's the big difference.

Not sure how long he'll remain healthy given his history of being dinged up all the time.

Reerun_KC
11-27-2018, 03:59 PM
Someone will blame his health, but in all honesty it’s a contract year.

You lock up ford on a long term deal and all those injuries will be back and fast.

JakeF
11-27-2018, 04:05 PM
Ford had been good the past 2 seasons after a bit of a lackluster start. He's healthy this year. That's the big difference.

Not sure how long he'll remain healthy given his history of being dinged up all the time.
You could be right, we just don't know. If we give Ford a new contract we will need to make sure that there is an out year early on to make sure he can't just milk the team for money. Limiting the guaranteed money is key.

Reerun_KC
11-27-2018, 04:18 PM
After the Houston and Berry contracts. We have to be careful with guys like Ford. Franchise him one year, then let him walk.

Need more youth, he isn’t th last good LB ever. More are coming out of the draft.

TambaBerry
11-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Someone will blame his health, but in all honesty it’s a contract year.

You lock up ford on a long term deal and all those injuries will be back and fast.

tell me this, if ford did this his entire rookie deal would he get more or less money then if he just worked hard his contract year?

suzzer99
11-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Ford has always worked hard imo. He was just clueless at first, and then had some injury issues.

mcaj22
11-27-2018, 06:45 PM
Ford is having probably the better 2018 (it's close) but if we are talking future year investments in terms of big contract money it's Clowney and it's not close.

Clowney is only 25! Ford is 27. You'd be paying Ford for his 28, 29, 30, 31 year old seasons and that is a horrible, horrible investment.

Red Dawg
11-27-2018, 06:56 PM
We need a solid defense not a great one. Mahomes needs his weapons and an OL. I would not lay out big money for a defensive player. Ford can get tagged then walk. Rather have OL studs and playmakers.

Molitoth
11-27-2018, 07:16 PM
I always thought Clowney was over-rated due to the 2 big college hits he had all over sports center.

Marcellus
11-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Ford has actually played in more games than Clowney so its hard to claim you would give Clowney the $ over Ford since neither have been healthy in their careers.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-27-2018, 07:21 PM
Different types of players. I'll take Dee screaming off the edge in Arrowhead any day. He's a perfect fit with this offense constantly giving big leads

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2018, 07:35 PM
IMO, Clowney got serious about his craft since he learned his Daddy was going to jail. Which was a wake up call to priorities and opportunities in life.

Valiant
11-27-2018, 08:53 PM
This won't be popular but I would franchise then transition tag Ford. My gut tells me he will Houston us after being paid.

Save money for Jones and hill.

SAUTO
11-27-2018, 09:17 PM
IMO, Clowney got serious about his craft since he learned his Daddy was going to jail. Which was a wake up call to priorities and opportunities in life.

ROFL

Maine
11-27-2018, 09:20 PM
We fired Dorsey because Chiefs

OKchiefs
11-27-2018, 09:32 PM

Or because his contracts significantly hampered us at times and he couldn't draft defensive talent worth a shit.

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-27-2018, 10:23 PM

Because we had Veach... who seems to know what he's doing and doesn't fuck up the salary cap...

Deberg_1990
11-27-2018, 10:24 PM
Or because his contracts significantly hampered us at times and he couldn't draft defensive talent worth a shit.

Except Ford and Peters right?

BlackOp
11-27-2018, 10:27 PM
Except Ford and Peters right?

and Jones...

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2018, 10:30 PM
Because we had Veach... who seems to know what he's doing and doesn't fuck up the salary cap...

Veach will be here as long as Carl because like Peterson he drafted a profitable superstar with HOF potential.

Eleazar
11-27-2018, 11:32 PM

Good news, his replacement is setting the world on fire with his defensive draft picks!

TEX
11-28-2018, 08:01 AM
I was watching Clowney play last night and I was obsessed with that guy before the draft and a little bummed that there was no way we were going to be able to draft him. I was a bit skeptical about our selection of Dee Ford, but in hindsight, did we get the better deal? I also remembered that back in 2014 Dee Ford claimed he was better than Clowney. I thought it might be fun to compare stats.

Stats since they were both drafted in 2014:
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/2283/WcynFC.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS -- Dee Ford took aim at Jadeveon Clowney on Sunday, and minced no words in trying to establish himself as the top pass rusher in the NFL draft. Comparing Clowney's reckless style of play to "a blind dog in a meat market," the 6-foot-2, 250-pound pass rusher who was the star of the Senior Bowl didn't back off a bit.

“I'm better (than Clowney). Let's put it like this. People like to talk about size all the time. Size is pretty much overrated in my eyes," Ford said on Sirius XM NFL Radio Sunday. "You can look at guys like Robert Mathis, Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller. These are 6-2 guys and under. People are just looking at the fact that he's a physical specimen. Honestly if you watch the film, he plays like a blind dog in a meat market, basically."

They're the same type of player regarding missing games for "whatever" reason. And they're both in a contract year and have found a way to stay healthy and play well. :rolleyes:

No way I open the vault for these two... I'd Franchise Tag both and ask each to prove they can stay healthy and play well two years in a row. Just my opinion.

TEX
11-28-2018, 08:03 AM

And let Ballard walk before doing so...

Because Chiefs X 2...

Flying High D
11-28-2018, 08:09 AM

Because Chiefs X 2...

And drafted Blackledge ......

Because Chiefs X 3.....

TEX
11-28-2018, 08:45 AM
And drafted Blackledge ......

Because Chiefs X 3.....

That one still stings, but Mahomes is making it finally go away...I was watching the draft back in '83, and was so bummed at that pick. Going in, I felt that KC would draft Dan Marino. When they announced the pick, my mouth was saying Marino, but my ears heard Blackledge. The rest is history... :shake:

htismaqe
11-28-2018, 11:03 AM
They're the same type of player regarding missing games for "whatever" reason. And they're both in a contract year and have found a way to stay healthy and play well. :rolleyes:

No way I open the vault for these two... I'd Franchise Tag both and ask each to prove they can stay healthy and play well two years in a row. Just my opinion.

Exactly

saphojunkie
11-28-2018, 11:51 AM

Because Chiefs X 2...

Boy oh boy I wish we had Indianapolis' roster...

:rolleyes:

TEX
11-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Boy oh boy I wish we had Indianapolis' roster...

:rolleyes:

If you're discounting the impact Ballard has already made in Indy, you're clueless.

TambaBerry
11-28-2018, 12:58 PM
If you're discounting the impact Ballard has already made in Indy, you're clueless.

darius leonard and what?

Rasputin
11-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Clowney is a :o)

BossChief
11-28-2018, 01:20 PM
From the TC thread...No way. I’ve talked to Dee every year at camp (a couple questions each year) and he has never felt this good in years. He said his back was bothering him the last 2 years and the surgery he had makes him feel whole again.

If he has a big year, they need to extend him, but without giving him top dollar...and protecting themselves against future back problems.

I’m telling you, Ford is looking like the guy we hoped we were getting and got pockets of 7-9 games at a time where he was pretty good.

The Ford I saw at camp was a guy that should get 12-15 sacks and play the run well.

SAUTO
11-28-2018, 01:24 PM
From the TC thread...

You probably should watch out for those shoulder injuries too.