PDA

View Full Version : Football Life on the Practice Squad

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 06:44 AM
Is tricky.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/11/14/18092708/nfl-practice-squad-money-reality-jaydon-mickens-michael-thomas

‘These checks aren’t what you think they are’
Second jobs. Sleeping in cars. Leaning on family. It’s easy to assume that everyone in the NFL is raking in money, but that’s far from reality for practice squad players.
By Natalie Weiner
Nov 14, 2018, 10:00am EST

When Jaguars wide receiver Jaydon Mickens joined the team’s practice squad last year, he quickly established a daily routine. After practice, he and Larry Pinkard, another practice squad receiver, would go hang out at a teammate’s house for a while. One of their most frequent hosts was Marqise Lee, who grew up not far from Mickens in Inglewood, California, and was already well-established in Jacksonville.

But although they were good friends, Mickens was careful not to wear out his welcome. After a few hours, he and Pinkard would say, “We’re out. We’re about to go back and lay down” — intentionally omitting exactly where they were headed. Then the pair would drive back to the practice facility, put the seats back in their cars, and go to sleep.

The next morning, they’d wake up around 5 or 6 a.m. and head inside to get ready for practice. Typically the two receivers wouldn’t get more than four hours of sleep; on Tuesday and Wednesday nights — the ones before their hardest practices — they’d split a hotel room.

Once Mickens had made the active roster and a few standout plays, his story become the kind of feel-good, overcoming-the-odds tale that sports media loves. NFL.com did a timeline of his “incredible journey,” while Good Morning Football did a segment on his “underappreciated storyline.” It was an up-by-his-bootstraps spin on a common issue for practice squad players, whose employment is week to week, and whose salaries are a fraction of those of their colleagues — despite the fact they’re doing all the same work besides suiting up on Sunday. Mickens and Pinkard’s story might be especially vivid, but practice squad players everywhere say they have to be as disciplined with their money off the field as they are with the ball on it.

Fans can have a hard time understanding exactly why those players on the fringes of NFL rosters feel like they need to live hand to mouth. In Mickens’ case, after his story was widely publicized anonymous online critics and armchair accountants asserted that he must just be dumb. They compared his salary to those of minor league baseball players, dug up pictures of his car to prove that he wasn’t that hard up for cash, and generally insisted that he had nothing to complain about. It’s an approach fans often take when discussing player salaries, and one that betrays just how widely misunderstood NFL contracts are.

“There’s a reason why they made the 30 for 30 show ‘Broke’,” cracks Giants safety Michael Thomas, who spent two seasons on the Niners’ practice squad before making the active roster with the Dolphins. “These checks aren’t what you think they are.”

For Mickens’ part, he says he never asked for sympathy. “[My critics] can say whatever they want, but that’s probably why they’re in the position they’re in — I’m not crying about it, I grinded about it,” he adds.

After spending the 2016 season on the Oakland Raiders’ practice squad, he’d gotten a taste of its unpredictability when he hurt his ankle during the team’s 2017 training camp and was cut with an injury settlement. A few weeks of unemployment was all it took to convince him his best move was to be frugal to the extreme. Because Jacksonville was still recovering from Hurricane Irma when he showed up with only his backpack and duffel bag to work out, that was even more of a challenge than he had anticipated. The city’s housing inventory was low because of all the property damage, and landlords wanted tenants who could commit to a year-long lease — an impossibility for a young player who didn’t know whether he would be with the team for a week or for three months.

So, he slept in his car.

“I’d been through worse,” he says of the decision, alluding to his upbringing. Even now that he has some active roster paychecks under his belt (currently, Mickens is on IR), he tries to keep the same mentality as he had on the practice squad. “I want to make sure I withhold it from myself, and do everything I can to act as broke as possible,” says Mickens. “To act like I don’t have a dime.”

This season, a practice squad player in California who is employed all six weeks of training camp and all 17 weeks of the regular season — a highly unusual situation — makes around $88,000 after taxes: $7,600 a week before taxes during the regular season, and $1,075 (rookies) or $1,900 (veterans) before taxes during camp. The problem is, while they’re playing, practice squad players have no sense of how much of that $88,000 they’ll actually make; most have to move at some point during the season, whether they’re signed to a new team or get cut and have to move home, which adds another impossible-to-plan-for expense.

“I had a bunch of people who graduated with me from Stanford, and they were making more money than me fresh out of college,” says Thomas. “I probably would have been better off trying to work in Silicon Valley.”

The lack of stability makes figuring out a place to live one of the practice squad’s biggest challenges. The cost of living varies so widely from city to city — as do each state’s taxes — that most players err on the side of caution when it comes to the rent they’re willing to pay, since they don’t know where they’ll wind up next.

“I’ve known guys who played in the league for five to six years and have had a roommate every year,” says free agent nose tackle A.J. Francis, who has played for the Dolphins, Patriots, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Washington, and Giants over his six seasons in the league.

Plus, the exploding cost of living in places like New York (and its almost-as-pricey New Jersey suburbs, where most NFL players live), Los Angeles, and the Bay Area isn’t accounted for in the practice squad players’ flat-rate salary. “That’s what we have the next CBA negotiations for, I guess,” says Thomas. “We have to look at a housing stipend for practice squad players based on the different cities where they live.”

Aside from trying to find a reasonably-priced apartment that they can leave at any time, players also have to account for the fact that, like all NFL players, they’re only getting paid 17 weeks out of the year. Unlike other NFL players, they typically have no signing bonuses or guaranteed money. “I was making sure I put away over half of my check in a separate account,” says Thomas. “I was losing half of my check to taxes, and it’s only for 17 weeks — if I stayed on the practice squad. I was very, very frugal, but you have to be.”

Practice squad players often take other jobs during the offseason or while they’re waiting for a team to call them. Francis has been an Uber driver, as has current Panthers’ practice squad member Brandon Chubb (he had a pickup truck, though, so it didn’t work well for him). Zeek Biggers, a linebacker who also spent time on the Panthers’ practice squad in 2017, was working at a moving company when he got the call to come to training camp. Thomas spent his offseasons in San Francisco training high school players.

“When you’re on the practice squad, you’re literally one step in the league and one step out of it,” says Thomas. “It forces you to think about life after football.”

At the same time, players need to invest in their own training and nutrition during the offseason if they want to up their game and ultimately make the active roster. Without the team’s facilities and staff, players can easily spend thousands on a trainer and gym access, not to mention what it takes to keep a healthy diet.

“It’s a lot of months,” says Mickens of the offseason. “You have to nourish yourself, you have to train ... Money has to go out so you can attain your goals in the bigger picture.”

Some practice squad players get some support from their families during the offseason. Mickens’ family for example, prepares his food. But he sees it as part of a trade that has him supporting them long-term. For those players who aren’t as frugal, what looks from the outside like a dream — you make it to the league and buy your mom a house — often turns to disappointment, as they’re surrounded by friends and family who think their baller status automatically translates into a bloated bank account.

“Most of the players coming into this league had humble beginnings,” says Thomas. “It’s not that they don’t know what to do with the money, but they want to take care of their whole family.”

Even outside of their immediate family, players who don’t have megawatt contracts are frequently forced to confront people’s misconceptions about their salaries. At a recent 3-on-3 basketball tournament, Francis and his team made it to the championship game —where people in the crowd told him he should give the other team his prize money if he won, because he was an NFL player.

“A lot of guys who say ‘I played in the NFL’ may have never even played in one game, but for the rest of their lives, they’re the money men,” says Francis. “If you’re not at the top of the league, you’re not anywhere near stable. If you add up all the contracts of the free agents and seventh-round draft picks that are on the Vikings right now, Kirk Cousins makes more than all of them combined. To put them on the same scale as him is ridiculous, but that’s what consistently happens.”

The idea that once you’ve made it to the NFL, you’ve it made financially has long been debunked (see the aforementioned “Broke”). But nevertheless, fans see a player’s contracts or their practice squad salaries and are quick to loudly explain how much more it is than they make, or how much better they would manage the money. The implication is NFL salaries are “enough” because they may be higher than the fan’s, and it’s a conclusion only possible when ignoring that playing in the NFL makes you the centerpiece of a business worth billions of dollars. Not to mention that it’s a job with a nearly unmatched combination of guaranteed physical toll and total career uncertainty.

“I wish all sports, but especially the NFL, would stop broadcasting how much guys get paid and making a big deal about it” says Thomas. “You do set the market that way, and guys can ask for more money in free agency — but it’s not advantageous for guys to have everybody know exactly what they’re making. It’s not like that in any other big business, so why is it like that for us?”

To Mickens, anyone who thinks he didn’t need to sleep in his car just isn’t seeing the big picture. He wants to invest in a gym, in real estate, and in his non-profit — Out The Mud, also his personal motto and the name of a Kevin Gates song. “I just made that decision —worked my butt off, got active, made a couple plays, and put myself in the position where I can change my family’s life,” he says.

Mickens doesn’t have any kids himself, but he wants to look out for his mother, sister, and godson. “I have to do the things necessary for them to survive long-term, not just for a couple months. When I get there, I’ll be able to treat myself in ways that a first-rounder would.”

ChiefGator
11-29-2018, 06:50 AM
This season, a practice squad player in California who is employed all six weeks of training camp and all 17 weeks of the regular season — a highly unusual situation — makes around $88,000 after taxes: $7,600 a week before taxes during the regular season, and $1,075 (rookies) or $1,900 (veterans) before taxes during camp. The problem is, while they’re playing, practice squad players have no sense of how much of that $88,000 they’ll actually make; most have to move at some point during the season, whether they’re signed to a new team or get cut and have to move home, which adds another impossible-to-plan-for expense.

To allow you all to skip the skimming.

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 06:53 AM
I couldn't imagine that degree of job insecurity.

There's been a wave of stories about mental health difficulties in the NBA, a safer league with way fatter paychecks.

It's got to be a serious concern in the NFL as well. Probably more severe, when you consider the physical toll the sport literally takes on their brains.

njchiefs
11-29-2018, 06:58 AM
Bottom line is: increase the minimum wage and seriously place a cap on and lower the ridiculously bloated compensation that free agency has permitted. Nobody is worth what the top 5% in the NFL or any other entertainment business make.

ChiefGator
11-29-2018, 06:59 AM
Yeah, I think it is a concern, and hopefully one the player's union takes up during negotiations. But, since they are on the practice squad and it won't make PR waves, I have doubts it will be addressed honestly.

-King-
11-29-2018, 07:05 AM
Bottom line is: increase the minimum wage and seriously place a cap on and lower the ridiculously bloated compensation that free agency has permitted. Nobody is worth what the top 5% in the NFL or any other entertainment business make.

They're worth what they get. If you don't think they should make as much as they do, round up 50 million of your closest friends and boycott watching games so that revenue and in turn salaries go down
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
11-29-2018, 07:07 AM
Very interesting read, thanks for posting.

It is a shame the teams would not allow them to use the team facilities for working out in the off season.

Maybe that is due to them not living near the team, then the team should cover the cost of their practice squad players having a facility to work out.

Why Not?
11-29-2018, 07:08 AM
Ok. Sure. But I don't think you'll find to many people playing "just for the practice squad guys" on the violin. These are young men with college degrees(if you left early for the draft and ended up a PS guy, you done fucked up). They can give it a go for a couple years and move on if they haven't advanced. You can't seriously be concerned about a guy in his early 20's having to live off $50K(I'll even assume he doesn't stay on a roster all season)for a couple of years.

I do agree with the one guy's point on not publishing player's salaries. The only salary information I GAF about is my own.

lewdog
11-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Practice squad huh?

That describes Billay’s dating life.

Simply Red
11-29-2018, 07:21 AM
Practice squad huh?

That describes Billay’s dating life.

That's not very kind.

Hoover
11-29-2018, 07:23 AM
You would think the teams would just build some dorms

njchiefs
11-29-2018, 07:28 AM
They're worth what they get. If you don't think they should make as much as they do, round up 50 million of your closest friends and boycott watching games so that revenue and in turn salaries go down
Posted via Mobile Device

They’re worth what they get? Yes I’m a hypocrite in the sense that I still watch the games. Because I’m not a blind enough idiot to think that anything that I do (I don’t have 50 million friends to organize) will make a damned bit of difference. But do you really think they’re worth what they get? Are they worth more than 100x what players were making 30 years ago? Do you have no sense of proportions or relative value? It’s not the top players fault that they are way over compensated. It’s human nature to take what you are given. I don’t know whose fault it is. But if you think that any human being is worth 1000X what you are making (I’m guessing your salary), then you must not think very highly of yourself.

-King-
11-29-2018, 07:48 AM
They’re worth what they get? Yes I’m a hypocrite in the sense that I still watch the games. Because I’m not a blind enough idiot to think that anything that I do (I don’t have 50 million friends to organize) will make a damned bit of difference. But do you really think they’re worth what they get? Are they worth more than 100x what players were making 30 years ago? Do you have no sense of proportions or relative value? It’s not the top players fault that they are way over compensated. It’s human nature to take what you are given. I don’t know whose fault it is. But if you think that any human being is worth 1000X what you are making (I’m guessing your salary), then you must not think very highly of yourself.

The NFL makes billions a year. Players are the reason they make billions a year. So why again shouldn't they make tens of millions if they are good enough to warrant that?

And what I think of myself has nothing to do with what others should make lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lzen
11-29-2018, 08:18 AM
I have a hard time feeling sorry for any of them despite reading the entire article. I have had to go through a lot more (mostly in my early life) than these guys. You take that kind of chance and you deal with the crap to get to the good stuff eventually. That's the way it works in life, in general.

Lzen
11-29-2018, 08:19 AM
And King if right, the market sets these guys' salaries. If fans weren't willing to pay the ridiculous ticket prices, cost of merch, parking, etc. and watch on TV then they would not be making what they are making.

Red Dawg
11-29-2018, 08:21 AM
88k is not a bad salary for a guy under 30. Live on a budget and its fine. They just don't want to do that. They want to go past their pay check.

loochy
11-29-2018, 08:26 AM
players need to invest in their own training and nutrition during the offseason if they want to up their game and ultimately make the active roster. Without the team’s facilities and staff, players can easily spend thousands on a trainer and gym access, not to mention what it takes to keep a healthy diet.

MY GOD THIS IS TERRIBLE!

Oh wait, it's what thousands of people do every day. I have to pay for a gym membership? DEAR GOD, NO! I have to pay for a personal trainer? THE HUMANITY! I have to shop for and eat my own food? WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL?
Posted via Mobile Device

WhawhaWhat
11-29-2018, 08:27 AM
It is a shame the teams would not allow them to use the team facilities for working out in the off season.

I believe that's part of the CBA and what the players wanted.

WhawhaWhat
11-29-2018, 08:37 AM
MY GOD THIS IS TERRIBLE!

Oh wait, it's what thousands of people do every day. I have to pay for a gym membership? DEAR GOD, NO! I have to pay for a personal trainer? THE HUMANITY! I have to shop for and eat my own food? WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nobody gives a shit when you show up to work as an out of shape loser. These guys have to be in peak physical condition at all times and be ready to move across the country at a moments notice both of which are very expensive.

You can't compare a pro athlete to some asshole working in a cube farm. It's apples to oranges.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
11-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Any player who gets a sniff in the NFL can go get graduate school paid for as a Grad Assistant at a Division 1 school. And if you're not a complete dud in that position--with halfway decent social skills---you're pretty much set with a comfy D1 gig.

Still, the NFL should pay these guys more.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2018, 08:52 AM
Lol 88k after taxes and we are supposed to feel sorry for them? JFC you loon...

notorious
11-29-2018, 08:55 AM
Owners could probably build a small complex to house them and it would fix the problem while saving them money.

DaKCMan AP
11-29-2018, 08:58 AM

You want to lower player salaries so that the owners pocket more profit??

loochy
11-29-2018, 09:00 AM

They can get cut an anytime...but so can we
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-29-2018, 09:04 AM
They could always get a REAL job, you know, like masturbating livestock.

njchiefs
11-29-2018, 09:04 AM
The NFL makes billions a year. Players are the reason they make billions a year. So why again shouldn't they make tens of millions if they are good enough to warrant that?

And what I think of myself has nothing to do with what others should make lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

It depends on how you define worth. And I guess we must value the entertainment industry differently. I guess I've become a selective socialist. Power to the people and the true workers of America! :)

O.city
11-29-2018, 09:11 AM
When I was in dental school in KC, we lived in a townhouse complex north of the river out by Worlds of Fun. The Chiefs had an agreement with the complex and a lot of the lower round draft picks and undrafted free agents lived in the same complex.

Houston, Bailey, Eric Kush, some more practice squad guys were there as well. It was close enough to Arrowhead and was nice enough.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2018, 09:12 AM
They can get cut an anytime...but so can we
Posted via Mobile Device

They may even have to pick up work in the off season and work a whole year. Oh noes!!!

ChiefGator
11-29-2018, 09:22 AM
They could always get a real HOBBY, you know, like masturbating livestock.

FYP

Titty Meat
11-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Dudes getting paid 88k and were supposed to feel sorry for him?

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 09:43 AM
88k is not a bad salary for a guy under 30. Live on a budget and its fine. They just don't want to do that. They want to go past their pay check.

They want job security.

That's their primary complaint.

loochy
11-29-2018, 09:51 AM
They want job security.

Don't we all?
Posted via Mobile Device

Perineum Ripper
11-29-2018, 09:54 AM
They want job security.

Then they need to realize they are on the fucking practice squad and that their shot to make it isn’t great. Then they need to realize they can quit go get a job with security. Another option is they can plug up their pussy and drive on doing whatever necessary to achieve their goals.

Life isn’t fair, suck it the fuck up and realize you are just a step away from being in the stadium on Sunday. There are a lot worse things in life they could be doing

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2018, 09:54 AM
L O O N That spells loon

gblowfish
11-29-2018, 10:06 AM
I'm sure local fans would take in a player, kind of like in high school taking in an AFS student from overseas.

loochy
11-29-2018, 10:07 AM
I'm sure local fans would take in a player, kind of like in high school taking in an AFS student from overseas.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
And then they'd be all like "WTF, this guy makes twice what I do working at ARMCO steel!"
<br />
<br />
2016 Jackson County, MO Median Household Income:<br />
$50,815<br />
<br />
https://datausa.io/profile/geo/jackson-county-mo/

njchiefs
11-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Dudes getting paid 88k and were supposed to feel sorry for him?

That's a year of college costs these days. Or slightly more than Matthew Stafford makes for a single completion. Yes, at a salary of 27 million/year, he makes $72,776 per completion based on his last years stats. Nice!

DaFace
11-29-2018, 10:11 AM
I feel for the guys, but that entire system is pretty much locked into the CBA. If the NFLPA felt there was an issue, it's on them to fight for it.

But they're controlled by the rich players - not the scrubs - so it is what it is.

loochy
11-29-2018, 10:12 AM
I feel for the guys, but that entire system is pretty much locked into the CBA. If the NFLPA felt there was an issue, it's on them to fight for it.

But they're controlled by the rich players - not the scrubs - so it is what it is.

They could always prep their resumes for a job at 7-11.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
11-29-2018, 10:12 AM
Bring back NFL Europe.

Danguardace
11-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Bring back NFL Europe.

This

DaFace
11-29-2018, 10:15 AM
They want job security.

They have the choice to enter the workforce if they want job security. Being on the practice squad is like a post-college internship. It doesn't pay much, and it won't likely go anywhere, but it's got a shot at leading you to something much better. If it doesn't work out? You lost a little time, but that's it.

lcarus
11-29-2018, 10:15 AM
The opportunity to make millions is there on every snap in practice. That's pressure right there.

Frazod
11-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Bring back NFL Europe.

Seriously. I really enjoyed that.

Frazod
11-29-2018, 10:25 AM
And I definitely agree that there should be housing allowances for players based on team locations. In Kansas City or Green Bay, $88K will go a long way. In San Francisco, not so much.

Titty Meat
11-29-2018, 10:27 AM
They want job security.

Then they are in the wrong profession. The typical NFL player plays like 3 years.

notorious
11-29-2018, 10:29 AM
I'm sure local fans would take in a player, kind of like in high school taking in an AFS student from overseas.

The wives would be all for taking in some players.....

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2018, 10:30 AM
V O Y A G E R that spells loon

WhawhaWhat
11-29-2018, 10:31 AM

St Louis is getting an XFL team.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2018, 10:31 AM
The wives would be all for taking in some players.....

They'd "take them in" alright.

Rain Man
11-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Interesting article.

The housing situation seems like it would have been a problem ten years ago, but now you could just do an Airbnb. Problem solved.

notorious
11-29-2018, 10:34 AM
They'd "take them in" alright.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/MqxZxTlvcY5BS/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c0014c047624346366a2838

The Franchise
11-29-2018, 10:43 AM

The NFL wants to increase their footprint overseas. What do you think would be better? Having 3-4 NFL games a season? Or creating 32 teams that have an entire season and a championship there? Give each NFL team it's own "farm" team. It's basically like having a glorified 40 player practice squad.

BlackOp
11-29-2018, 11:24 AM
You would think it would be in a teams best interest to build/provide living accommodations for their PS players.

It's essentially the closest thing they have to a farm system and would allow them to focus solely on developing their craft. Given the instability and stress of constantly being under the threat of moving/relocating. How do you find a 2 month lease in a new city...and you dont even know if you'll still have a job in 3 weeks.

It's kind of weird a support system doesn't exist being that the team thought enough of them to keep them around after camp....and they make billions. Shouldn't have people, who are expected to do everything a roster player does, resorting to sleeping in their cars...

Really surprised this hasn't been addressed by the players union...

These guys are just a step away from being on the active roster...

Beef Supreme
11-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Build a fucking dorm.

chinaski
11-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Build a ****ing dorm.

Exactly. CHunt can afford to buy an apartment building for these guys. Come on Clark!

philfree
11-29-2018, 11:39 AM
These guys are following their dream and making decent money in the process. It's all part of the sacrifice they make in following that dream.

philfree
11-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Exactly. CHunt can afford to buy an apartment building for these guys. Come on Clark!

Buy a complex and keep a certain number of rooms available for the practice squad. Besides that rent the apartments and make more money.

BlackOp
11-29-2018, 11:46 AM
These guys are following their dream and making decent money in the process. It's all part of the sacrifice they make in following that dream.

It seems counter-productive...yeah, they are "chasing dreams" but the situation makes it a lot tougher to achieve them.

How hard would it be to provide a stable place to live...if you are cut, you have two months to get your affairs in order.

I would want my prospective players being able to focus on football....not surviving and worrying about being homeless if they are cut.

It's only 8 players...

NFL could also restructure how their contracts are arranged...and guarantee a base amount instead being "week to week". Shit...Berry makes more in one game than the entire PS...and thats IF they are kept all season.

jjchieffan
11-29-2018, 11:52 AM
I don't feel bad for someone making $7600/ week. They can stay at a local extended stay for $300-$400/ week. They don't have to worry about a lease, IR furniture, or any of that. Just groceries and personal care items. Leaving them well over $7000 per week before taxes. Taxes at say 20% would be a little over $1500/ week. So they still are pocketing well over 5k a week. If they stick for a month, that's 20,000 in the bank. That should carry them over for a bit.

DaFace
11-29-2018, 12:01 PM
It seems counter-productive...yeah, they are "chasing dreams" but the situation makes it a lot tougher to achieve them.

How hard would it be to provide a stable place to live...if you are cut, you have two months to get your affairs in order.

I would want my prospective players being able to focus on football....not surviving and worrying about being homeless if they are cut.

It's only 8 players...

NFL could also restructure how their contracts are arranged...and guarantee a base amount instead being "week to week". Shit...Berry makes more in one game than the entire PS...and thats IF they are kept all season.

Again, they are more than welcome to quit and find a "real" job. There are plenty of other guys who would love the opportunity to compete.

Not to mention that these guys are still making WAY more than minor league players in other leagues. Given the time commitment, it's not uncommon for minor league guys in baseball, basketball, and hockey to make less than minimum wage. Hell, some MLS guys are probably about at that same level.

BlackOp
11-29-2018, 12:03 PM
I don't feel bad for someone making $7600/ week. They can stay at a local extended stay for $300-$400/ week. They don't have to worry about a lease, IR furniture, or any of that. Just groceries and personal care items. Leaving them well over $7000 per week before taxes. Taxes at say 20% would be a little over $1500/ week. So they still are pocketing well over 5k a week. If they stick for a month, that's 20,000 in the bank. That should carry them over for a bit.

Yeah...but there is no guarantee you wont be replaced after 2 weeks. That is an extremely stressful/unstable situation when you are trying to focus on professional level football.

It seems like a strange arrangement given the NFL makes $8 billion a year.

BlackOp
11-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Again, they are more than welcome to quit and find a "real" job. There are plenty of other guys who would love the opportunity to compete.

If a team thinks highly enough of a player to keep 8 on the PS...they should have a better support system to help them develop. They shouldnt be in a situation where "sleeping in their cars" is even a viable option...

tk13
11-29-2018, 12:13 PM
I don't think professional football will ever be a job with any kind of job security. It's just not the nature of it.

That said, yeah these guys do make good money relatively speaking but their careers are short. Nobody is retiring in their early 20s on that kind of salary. And like frazod said that amount of money isn't going to take you far in some of these larger cities. But it's also not the only case of a company making money by the truckload and not paying their employees huge salaries either.

The Franchise
11-29-2018, 12:14 PM
I get it from both sides. Yeah that seems like a decent amount of money....but it's also not guaranteed. People are cut from the practice squad all the time....and there's no guarantee that you're going to be picked up somewhere else.

CapsLockKey
11-29-2018, 12:26 PM
Seems like a potential business opportunity for an apartment complex owner to provide furnished units for a few PS players and charge premium rent for other tenants using the NFL players who stay there as a marketing tool.

I'm willing to bet stories like this are the outliers instead of the norm otherwise some savy businesses would have already done this.

SAUTO
11-29-2018, 12:45 PM
Yeah...but there is no guarantee you wont be replaced after 2 weeks. That is an extremely stressful/unstable situation when you are trying to focus on professional level football.

It seems like a strange arrangement given the NFL makes $8 billion a year.
So they picked 10gs in 2 weeks. They should be able to live on that for at least a couple months easily

ChiefBlueCFC
11-29-2018, 12:46 PM

Why can't we do that with our own society? Raise the minimum wage and cap the ridiculous salaries that CEOs and the such make?

BWillie
11-29-2018, 12:54 PM
$88,000 and only work half of the year. give me a break. Go flip burgers if you want brah. Not going to feel bad for you, GTFOH

loochy
11-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Why can't we do that with our own society? Raise the minimum wage and cap the ridiculous salaries that CEOs and the such make?

because it's fucking retarded
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:03 PM
Don't we all?

Yup.

Which is what makes their story relatable.

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Then they need to realize they are on the ****ing practice squad and that their shot to make it isn’t great. Then they need to realize they can quit go get a job with security. Another option is they can plug up their pussy and drive on doing whatever necessary to achieve their goals.

Life isn’t fair, suck it the **** up and realize you are just a step away from being in the stadium on Sunday. There are a lot worse things in life they could be doing

Jesus, dude. Why are you so damn mad at practice squad players for making honest complaints about their situation?

Good lord.

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:07 PM
They have the choice to enter the workforce if they want job security. Being on the practice squad is like a post-college internship. It doesn't pay much, and it won't likely go anywhere, but it's got a shot at leading you to something much better. If it doesn't work out? You lost a little time, but that's it.

And they're doing that. The article literally says they work 2nd jobs.

But they're wanting to utilize what they believe is their best skill -- football athleticism -- and turn it into a career and make a shit ton of money. In other words, what you and I want to do. What everyone wants.

They're complaining about it being difficult, existing at the base of this billion dollar behemoth that makes their lives difficult, and could literally fire them and uproot their lives at any moment.

I doubt they'd disagree with your post, honestly. They're just wanting to make their dream happen and complaining about how difficult it is. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Build a ****ing dorm.

Man, you guys have absolutely no idea how insanely cheap the NFL is. We learned during the Pioli era exactly how cheap this team is.

I forget what podcast I was listening to, but there was this podcast that talked about how difficult it is to be an NFL cheerleader. It's paid as a minimum wage part time job, it is a big time commitment, and the team pays for virtually nothing for the cheerleaders other than their outfits. It's a lot of fun for most of them but there's no denying that's a cumbersome commitment.

The Saints, I believe the team it was, makes their cheerleaders roam the parking lots and sell cheerleader calendars, and they don't get to come in and cheer unless they sell 20.

20 ****ing calendars. LMAO That's literally how cheap the NFL is.

htismaqe
11-29-2018, 01:11 PM
And they're doing that. The article literally says they work 2nd jobs.

But they're wanting to utilize what they believe is their best skill -- football athleticism -- and turn it into a career and make a shit ton of money. In other words, what you and I want to do. What everyone wants.

They're complaining about it being difficult, existing at the base of this billion dollar behemoth that makes their lives difficult, and could literally fire them and uproot their lives at any moment.

I doubt they'd disagree with your post, honestly. They're just wanting to make their dream happen and complaining about how difficult it is. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I don't think you can just relate it to Joe Everyman. What they make in a week, a lot of people make in 2-3 months. I'm a little surprised people are surprised that many people don't relate.

htismaqe
11-29-2018, 01:12 PM
The Saints, I believe the team it was, makes their cheerleaders roam the parking lots and sell cheerleader calendars, and they don't get to come in and cheer unless they sell 20.

20 ****ing calendars. LMAO That's literally how cheap the NFL is.

So find another job that doesn't involve selling calendars. It's kind of simple.

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:12 PM
I don't think you can just relate it to Joe Everyman. What they make in a week, a lot of people make in 2-3 months. I'm a little surprised people are surprised that many people don't relate.

That's fair.

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:13 PM
So find another job that doesn't involve selling calendars. It's kind of simple.

Well, they do.

Cheerleading is a 2nd job for literally every cheerleader in the NFL, probably.

I wasn't raging against that system, genius. I was just illustrating how hilariously cheap the NFL is.

Tell me I'm wrong.

htismaqe
11-29-2018, 01:14 PM
That's fair.

I mean, when I got out of college, I was in a reasonably successful bar band and I wanted to make a "job" out of it. Then I realized that living out of my car wasn't all that and if I ever wanted to have a family and support them, I'd have to grow up and realize that my "dream" was just that, a dream.

You say "But they're wanting to utilize what they believe is their best skill -- football athleticism -- and turn it into a career and make a shit ton of money. In other words, what you and I want to do. What everyone wants."

Of course, that's what we all WANT to do. But virtually none of us actually DID it because at some point, we became adults and realized that if we want to actually live like adults, we have to stop chasing our childhoods.

htismaqe
11-29-2018, 01:16 PM
Well, they do.

Cheerleading is a 2nd job for literally every cheerleader in the NFL, probably.

I wasn't raging against that system, genius. I was just illustrating how hilariously cheap the NFL is.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Every corporation in America is notoriously cheap. For many, cost control is the #1 contributor to profit margin. You act like the NFL is somehow unique in this.

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:18 PM
I mean, when I got out of college, I was in a reasonably successful bar band and I wanted to make a "job" out of it. Then I realized that living out of my car wasn't all that and if I ever wanted to have a family and support them, I'd have to grow up and realize that my "dream" was just that, a dream.

You say "But they're wanting to utilize what they believe is their best skill -- football athleticism -- and turn it into a career and make a shit ton of money. In other words, what you and I want to do. What everyone wants."

Of course, that's what we all WANT to do. But virtually none of us actually DID it because at some point, we became adults and realized that if we want to actually live like adults, we have to stop chasing our childhoods.

Well, wait. Again, I don't understand the finger wagging.

They're doing exactly what you did. They're trying to "make it big," as you tried.

Eventually, it will either work out or it won't. And they'll have to move on.

So.... what's the problem, here? You can't tell me you didn't bitch about how hard it was trying to make it big to your buddies. Life was hard for a while when you were trying. So, complaining is natural.

What is it that we can't even let these dudes complain about working conditions I think most of us would find similarly stressful.

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Every corporation in America is notoriously cheap. For many, cost control is the #1 contributor to profit margin. You act like the NFL is somehow unique in this.

I would disagree that's how I'm acting.

I've literally just been talking about the NFL, not contrasting it to the rest of corporate America.

htismaqe
11-29-2018, 01:20 PM
So.... what's the problem, here? You can't tell me you didn't bitch about how hard it was trying to make it big to your buddies. Life was hard for a while when you were trying. So, complaining is natural.

What is it that we can't even let these dudes complain about working conditions I think most of us would find similarly stressful.

Not one time. Not even for a nanosecond.

You know why? Because none of my "buddies" would have said anything other than "grow up and get a real job".

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:21 PM
Not one time. Not even for a nanosecond.

You know why? Because none of my "buddies" would have said anything other than "grow up and get a real job".

That's fine and good as far as it goes. But complaining, I think, is natural.

And I think it's possible some of them [referring to your friends] would say that to you. I think most of them would trust that you're a grown man who can make your own determinations for your own life and, perhaps, empathize.

htismaqe
11-29-2018, 01:23 PM

And I think it's possible some of them would say that. I think most of them would trust that you're a grown man who can make your own determinations for your own life and, perhaps, empathize.

Empathize?

I grew up in rural America with friends that were thankful to be making a buck over minimum wage.

Around here, you're not going to ever find empathy for guys dreaming of playing professional football and making that kind of money doing it, job security or not.

And sure, it's possible SOME of them would have said "grow up and get a real job". The rest of them would have said "you deserve to suffer, you're an idiot".

Prison Bitch
11-29-2018, 01:26 PM
The players union wanted this so that's why we have it. If they wanted to distribute more to practice squad players, it would be done tomorrow.

If the union is happy then we shouldn't tell them to change

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2018, 01:34 PM
How can this loon still start threads? The union agreed to this, so they obviously don't think these guys are underpaid to be jobbers most people will ever hear of

Direckshun
11-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Empathize?

I grew up in rural America with friends that were thankful to be making a buck over minimum wage.

Around here, you're not going to ever find empathy for guys dreaming of playing professional football and making that kind of money doing it, job security or not.

And sure, it's possible SOME of them would have said "grow up and get a real job". The rest of them would have said "you deserve to suffer, you're an idiot".

That's all fine, we come from different worlds and have different kinds of friends, I guess.

I'd imagine a friend of yours MIGHT say something like "you're super talented, that should be you up on the big stage, it sucks you have to scrounge like you do when you should be killing it."

Empathy.

Again, it's possible we come from different worlds in that regard, and that's fine, I don't begrudge you for it.

I might begrudge you begrudging the players in the OP, however. Your way is a way, not the way.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-29-2018, 01:49 PM
That's all fine, we come from different worlds and have different kinds of friends, I guess.

I'd imagine a friend of yours MIGHT say something like "you're super talented, that should be you up on the big stage, it sucks you have to scrounge like you do when you should be killing it.

What kind of bullshit is this ROFL

loochy
11-29-2018, 01:51 PM
What kind of bullshit is this ROFL

and then the friend would give you a medal for participating in life!
Posted via Mobile Device

Red Beans
11-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Damn, I make a little less than that, but my bi-monthly take home is significantly less because my employer splits my family healthcare benefits coverage with me, which is a pretty good deal compared to other organizations. If they picked up the entire tab, I'd clear another $600 per month. I'm sorry, but even after taxes, with no out of pocket insurance costs, I find it hard to feel sorry for anyone struggling on 88k a year..

Rain Man
11-29-2018, 01:54 PM

And I think it's possible some of them [referring to your friends] would say that to you. I think most of them would trust that you're a grown man who can make your own determinations for your own life and, perhaps, empathize.

I think it's kind of entertaining that everyone can have a legitimate complaint about their job or career, and it's all going to be valid. To some extent, it's kind of educational.

Veterinarians get bitten by pet cobras.

Rock stars don't like the travel.

Market researchers don't like people refusing to do surveys.

The Queen of England doesn't like having crazy people try to break into her bedroom.

Underwater demolitions divers don't like getting pulled into submerged caves by giant octopi.

Doctors don't like the long days of residency.

The President of the U.S. doesn't like having to answer to the large-brained alien illuminati living under Denver International Airport.

Every job has its challenges.

loochy
11-29-2018, 02:18 PM
The President of the U.S. doesn't like having to answer to the large-brained alien illuminati living under Denver International Airport.

Since you live in Denver, have you gone snooping around the airport to try to find the underground tunnels?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
11-29-2018, 02:24 PM
Since you live in Denver, have you gone snooping around the airport to try to find the underground tunnels?
Posted via Mobile Device

If you go to Terminal C, there's a gate for an airline called Transgalactic Air. The gate agent has a brain pan that's three times larger than a normal human's. The seats in the waiting area are designed for beings with three legs.

It's the Southwest Airlines gate right next to that one.

Chief Pagan
11-29-2018, 02:41 PM

I can't imagine you could do that in NY or SF for $300-$400 a week.

I don't feel bad for them but it sounds reasonable to me that the players union should negotiate a cost of living adjustment.

And since there is a lot of turn over on the PS, and every time someone leaves someone new comes along, having a team dorm sounds like an excellent idea.

Red Beans
11-29-2018, 02:42 PM
And since there is a lot of turn over on the PS, and every time someone leaves someone new comes along, having a team dorm sounds like an excellent idea.

Agreed.

LoneWolf
11-29-2018, 02:50 PM
These players are making $135,000 per year for about 23-24 weeks of work. That's not a bad gig if you can get it.

Nobody has job security. We live in a world where if you don't perform, then you will be let go.

notorious
11-29-2018, 03:06 PM
I have never met a person that complained about hard times before earning success.

Complainers rationalize reasons for their plight instead of attacking the problem.

htismaqe
11-29-2018, 03:12 PM

I'd imagine a friend of yours MIGHT say something like "you're super talented, that should be you up on the big stage, it sucks you have to scrounge like you do when you should be killing it."

Of course, several of my friends said that UNSOLICITED. That wouldn't at all be what they would have said had I COMPLAINED about the choices I had made. There's "support" and then there's "love". The latter sometimes requires the telling of truth, no matter how hard it might be to hear.

That's really the gist of what's going on here - it's not just that these players have it tough, it's that they're complaining about it.

I mean, you're fighting a huge perception problem here. In this country, over half of the populace not only cannot identify with, but in many cases openly resents, corporate executives solely because they're "rich", ignoring the fact that many of those executives started climbing the ladder from the very same positions the envious work today.

With NFL players, it goes even further. You want the average person to empathize with a person that:

1. Often makes a ton of money, like said corporate executives - often much more than the average person will see in a lifetime.

2. Makes a lot of money playing a "game".

3. Plays a game for a living based not on merit but on the fact that they won the genetic lottery.

It's nearly impossible, taking all 3 of those things in consideration, for the average person to empathize with these players, especially in this day and age when so many people believe the American Dream is on life support at best.

dlphg9
11-29-2018, 03:38 PM
GTFO of here with this shit. Poor fucking guys can't afford to stay somewhere when they are making about 130 bucks an hour and there are people living on 8 bucks an hour. In 2 weeks the poor practice squad player makes what the guy making 8 bucks an hour makes in a whole year. Jesus Christ, what a joke of an article.

Walmart made 14.7 billion last year and they are paying people like 10 bucks an hour. Yeah the NFL brought in 8 billion in profit last year, but it's not the NFL paying the players it's the teams and the teams made around 255 million last year. I think it's pretty damn fair what the practice squad guys make. It's not like they play on Sunday. No one is spending money on a practice squad players jersey.

These fucks have the audacity to whine about making almost 8 grand a week and act like they have to sleep in their cars. My mom raised me and my 4 siblings on 11 bucks an hour. Personally I think the practice squad players make too much.

Easy 6
11-29-2018, 03:42 PM
While I dont feel "sorry" for any of these guys, it does seem like the least each team could do is build a dorm near the facilities for them

dlphg9
11-29-2018, 04:15 PM
While I dont feel "sorry" for any of these guys, it does seem like the least each team could do is build a dorm near the facilities for them

They pay them more than enough to afford housing

Marcellus
11-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Would seem like a smart investment.

Easy 6
11-29-2018, 04:35 PM
They pay them more than enough to afford housing

But you also have to consider the lease factor, most landlords want a year

Would seem like a smart investment.

Agreed, remove that worry and teams just might find themselves with a more focused and productive practice squad

When you have guys sleeping in their car, yeah thats obviously far from ideal

dlphg9
11-29-2018, 05:05 PM
But you also have to consider the lease factor, most landlords want a year

Agreed, remove that worry and teams just might find themselves with a more focused and productive practice squad

When you have guys sleeping in their car, yeah thats obviously far from ideal
They have extended stay hotel rooms that you can pay like a grand for a month

Easy 6
11-29-2018, 05:08 PM
They have extended stay hotel rooms that you can pay like a grand for a month

Thats true enough, I just think teams could do a bit better by these guys

Cant use the teams workout facilities?

Thats total nonsense

htismaqe
11-29-2018, 05:20 PM
Thats true enough, I just think teams could do a bit better by these guys

Cant use the teams workout facilities?

Thats total nonsense

Why is it the team's responsibility though? These guys are NFL players, they have a union.

Easy 6
11-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Why is it the team's responsibility though? These guys are NFL players, they have a union.

Well sure, they should all be lobbying the union about these things

But were I an owner, pretty sure I'd see a dorm as a sound investment... they'd all be together, nearby and comfortable

And the thing about not being able to use the workout facilities?

I mean, come on...

DaFace
11-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Well sure, they should all be lobbying the union about these things

But were I an owner, pretty sure I'd see a dorm as a sound investment... they'd all be together, nearby and comfortable

And the thing about not being able to use the workout facilities?

I mean, come on...

The way I read that, the workout facilities are closed in the offseason (for all players). It's not like practice squad guys are being singled out (at least the way I'm interpreting it).

Hammock Parties
11-29-2018, 06:13 PM
Then the pair would drive back to the practice facility, put the seats back in their cars, and go to sleep.

The next morning, they’d wake up around 5 or 6 a.m. and head inside to get ready for practice. Typically the two receivers wouldn’t get more than four hours of sleep; on Tuesday and Wednesday nights

oh boo hoo

go to sleep earlier and you'll get more sleep

Easy 6
11-29-2018, 06:14 PM
The way I read that, the workout facilities are closed in the offseason (for all players). It's not like practice squad guys are being singled out (at least the way I'm interpreting it).

Yeah, you're probably right about that

Hammock Parties
11-29-2018, 06:24 PM

For less than half a year of work too... :rolleyes:

BlackOp
11-29-2018, 06:27 PM
So they picked 10gs in 2 weeks. They should be able to live on that for at least a couple months easily

Well...considering they literally are 'week to week", living arrangements could definitely become a stressful ordeal.

Would you move to a new city, take a year lease knowing you might be gone in 3 weeks?...or moved to another city...then another. What if you are cut then brought back?

It's not just the cash...it's creating some platform for stability. Moving is in the top 5 most stressful things humans do.

dlphg9
11-29-2018, 06:29 PM
oh boo hoo

go to sleep earlier and you'll get more sleep

Yeah, wtf we're they doing staying up until 1 or 2 A.M. when they knew they had to be up at 5 or 6? I don't get why they thought they had to sleep in their cars either. The motherfuckers are making 15000 a week and can't afford to a place to stay together? Hell they can put 10 people on a practice squad. Fucking get a 5 bedroom house and put 2 people to a room. An NFL team is always going to have 10 people on the practice squad so if 2 people get cut just move the next 2 that get signed in. If 10 guys making almost 8 grand a week can't afford to pay rent then they have some big issues. I don't get the point of the article.

Hammock Parties
11-29-2018, 06:33 PM

Whoa whoa wait up

where can I read about this

dlphg9
11-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Well...considering they literally are 'week to week", living arrangements could definitely become a stressful ordeal.

Would you move to a new city, take a year lease knowing you might be gone in 3 weeks?...or moved to another city...then another. What if you are cut then brought back?

It's not just the cash...it's creating some platform for stability. Moving is in the top 5 most stressful things humans do.

It's been brought up so many times in this thread already, so I think you are ignoring it, but you can get weekly hotel rooms for a few hundred bucks a week. You don't have to sign a lease, pay for utilities, or worry about getting furniture. Anyone that's making that kind of money and sleeping in there car brought it upon themselves.

Prison Bitch
11-29-2018, 07:42 PM
While I dont feel "sorry" for any of these guys, it does seem like the least each team city's taxpayers could do is build a dorm near the facilities for them

Fixed