PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs "Rock" Kevin Ross openly campaigns to be Chiefs DB coach

Stargazer
12-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Kevin Ross was a guest on The Elite Sports Podcast talking about some of his glory days in KC, Kareem Hunt, his coaching career and wants to get the word out about replacing Emmitt Thomas should he retire. 42 min mark

Iphone users:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-elite-sports-podcast/id1434762451?mt=2

Android:https://play.google.com/music/m/Ijomvx44ds4hnbkjiz2uom5h7pm?t=The_Elite_Sports_Podcast

R Clark
12-06-2018, 10:03 PM
Bring him in

MahiMike
12-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Sweet

T-post Tom
12-06-2018, 10:06 PM
I'm in. Hope it happens before Emmitt Thomas falls and fractures his hip.

jjchieffan
12-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Is Emmitt Thomas retiring? I mean, he's 75 years old, so I could see it happening. I just hadn't heard any talk of it.

Chris Meck
12-06-2018, 10:26 PM
The don't let them play like Ross played anymore.

Titty Meat
12-06-2018, 10:29 PM
How many podcasts are there with guys hosting who cant even run a mile?

Jewish Rabbi
12-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Why do you pretend that this isn’t your podcast?

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Was watching ray Lewis today on "Inside the NFL". I'd give anything for him to come replace Bob Sutton. He knows his shit. Even showed some Chiefs D plays against the Rams and basically said we're not doing things right. He brings a lot of energy.

Iowanian
12-06-2018, 10:40 PM
It's time for someone else to do it.

suzzer99
12-06-2018, 10:47 PM
Ross coach DBs.

DJ coach LBs.

I can't think of any good D-line candidates. Neil Smith never seemed all that bright. Joe Phillips went crazy. Saleamua maybe.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-06-2018, 11:40 PM
Was watching ray Lewis today on "Inside the NFL". I'd give anything for him to come replace Bob Sutton. He knows his shit. Even showed some Chiefs D plays against the Rams and basically said we're not doing things right. He brings a lot of energy.

Post it up because frankly, at this point we need as many applicants as we can get and I don't give a FUCK about that man's past from 20 years ago; he and Ed Reed knew what the fuck they were doing out there.

rtmike
12-07-2018, 03:52 AM

**** that. Someone diagnosed those plays for ol' Ray. He ain't smart enough.
Playing and reacting on the field is different than teaching and diagnosing from the sidelines, lol.

mcaj22
12-07-2018, 05:24 AM
**** that. Someone diagnosed those plays for ol' Ray. He ain't smart enough.
Playing and reacting on the field is different than teaching and diagnosing from the sidelines, lol.

Ray knows almost every defensive play the Chiefs run cause he played for Rex Ryan for 10 years. Thats where Suttons crap defense came from.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2018, 09:12 AM
100%

We need this guy to bring some fresh blood to the D.

seaofred
12-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Is he still the DB coach for the Cardinals? Weird he would be trying to become the Chiefs coach when he's coaching another NFL team.

Stargazer
12-07-2018, 09:21 AM
Is he still the DB coach for the Cardinals? Weird he would be trying to become the Chiefs coach when he's coaching another NFL team.

He is not with them this year.

Baby Lee
12-07-2018, 09:34 AM

That's the thing, I've wanted to but been reluctant to advocate for Ray Ray. But it isn't even for his rah-rah, or his pedigree. Dude breaks down what the mental error is and what should be happening from a scheme and communication standpoint to maintain defensive integrity.

He's been hammering home all season that defense isn't on a decline because of the rules. It's on the decline because people aren't playing team ball and maintaining scheme and assignments.

He doesn't coach to the athletic freaks like Peters to go out and freelance big plays [good and bad]. He coaches to the Joe Lunchpails to play smart and maintain team containment.

loochy
12-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Bring him in. It's clear that the current plan is not effective.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sully
12-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Kevin Ross was one of my favorites back in the day. He helped me out when I was in HS. I loved his play.

That said, last January I saw him at a coaching clinic, and although I enjoyed seeing him speak, I wasn't impressed with his communication or knowledge. However, maybe he wasn't targeting a group of HS coaches, and possibly the way he speaks reaches his clientele a little bit better. He is obviously coaching the best CB in the world right now, which makes him great (good players make good coaches). But I don't recall the DBs when he was in SD being all that remarkable (I could be wrong, correct me if I am).

loochy
12-07-2018, 09:42 AM
But I don't recall the DBs when he was in SD being all that remarkable (I could be wrong, correct me if I am).

At least you don't recall them for being remarkably bad, like ours right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefBlueCFC
12-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Albert Lewis and Kevin Ross were 2 of my favorite Chiefs when I was little, man.

Valiant
12-07-2018, 10:00 AM
That's the thing, I've wanted to but been reluctant to advocate for Ray Ray. But it isn't even for his rah-rah, or his pedigree. Dude breaks down what the mental error is and what should be happening from a scheme and communication standpoint to maintain defensive integrity.

He's been hammering home all season that defense isn't on a decline because of the rules. It's on the decline because people aren't playing team ball and maintaining scheme and assignments.

He doesn't coach to the athletic freaks like Peters to go out and freelance big plays [good and bad]. He coaches to the Joe Lunchpails to play smart and maintain team containment.

And hopefully how to hit with authority while also wrapping up.

oldman
12-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Ross coach DBs.

DJ coach LBs.

I can't think of any good D-line candidates. Neil Smith never seemed all that bright. Joe Phillips went crazy. Saleamua maybe.

I'm in. They know how to hit and tackle, something our current staff doesn't seem to know anything about. I'm going to give ET a pass since bump and run just gets you a holding call (Chiefs only) even if you are within the 5 yard zone. But then, when do most of our DBs play within 5 yards?

loochy
12-07-2018, 10:17 AM
Can we also hire Deron Cherry?
Posted via Mobile Device

oldman
12-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Mr. Cherry is too busy selling beer. But if he wants a 2nd income, I'd be all in.

RealSNR
12-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Ross coach DBs.

DJ coach LBs.

Chester McGlockton

rtmike
12-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Ray knows almost every defensive play the Chiefs run cause he played for Rex Ryan for 10 years. Thats where Suttons crap defense came from.

Well yeah. I didn't know it was a Ryan defense he was diagnosing.
Doesn't change my opinion, lol.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-07-2018, 11:48 AM

IN IN IN IN IN IN IN.

I can't even begin to express how much I am behind this. My only concern is making the jump from player directly to D-Coord, to running the whole show. That said, the guy was the absolute definition of a defensive QB and 'make no bones about it'- leader.

It would definitely be a new day on that side of the ball in KC.

loochy
12-07-2018, 11:52 AM
IN IN IN IN IN IN IN.

I can't even begin to express how much I am behind this. My only concern is making the jump from player directly to D-Coord, to running the whole show. That said, the guy was the absolute definition of a defensive QB and 'make no bones about it'- leader.

It would definitely be a new day on that side of the ball in KC.

He could also help with murders!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-07-2018, 12:00 PM
He could also help with murders!
Posted via Mobile Device

And that too! Win/win!

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-07-2018, 12:15 PM

You've obviously been watching him too. I'm sure if he was offered a job he'd want to coach the Ravens but hey, is there anybody that can send Veach or clark a memo to reach out to Ray Ray?

Baby Lee
12-07-2018, 12:32 PM
ROFL - loved when he [Ray] pointed out a defensive lapse, then followed with 'see, this shit is what gets my pits all hot. . . . That happens and NO ONE gets together and talks on the sideline after? No 'why did you?' No 'this is why I?' . . .

Rasputin
12-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Why not take Sutton job? A circus monkey can replace Bob Sutton and do a better job.

JakeF
12-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Kevin Ross was smart and used technique. He wasn't one of these guys that was just super athletic and made it by being fast.

Our coaching staff as a whole suck. There are too many things that just continue to happen over and over again. Players that were better on other teams but are crap now. It's time to make a change and not a small change.

Our entire defensive coaching staff should be gone. Andy can make Britt his personal paper copier if it makes him feel better.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-08-2018, 04:39 AM
God Bless Emmitt but he's 8 years in and it's time for EVERYONE to get scrubbed.

oldman
12-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Kevin Ross was smart and used technique. He wasn't one of these guys that was just super athletic and made it by being fast.

Our coaching staff as a whole suck. There are too many things that just continue to happen over and over again. Players that were better on other teams but are crap now. It's time to make a change and not a small change.

Our entire defensive coaching staff should be gone. Andy can make Britt his personal paper copier if it makes him feel better.

I agree with you, but only a complete collapse of the D, a la Colts game, is going to make Andy move on this. There might be some on the staff that are worth keeping, but we'll never know because of Sutton's bend don't break attitude. Breaking is pretty easy with 50 yards pass/DPI plays and 30 yard runs up the middle. At minimum, bring in someone like the Rock and DJ. They're both smart and know how to hit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-08-2018, 09:20 AM
This defense is pure, embarrassing shit. And you thought it couldn't get worse than G-Rob or Herm? LMAO