PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Auto insurance experts advice.

MIAdragon
12-08-2018, 02:54 PM
So our daily beater was stolen last week and was just recovered across the state. It was a very clean 12 335i with 90k and I actually didn’t hate driving it. Here’s the delima after being gone a week and who know what the hell happened to it/in it do I have the option to decline the return to my possession? What options do I have? And yes I immediately suspected midnightvulture, anyone seen his punk ass?

cabletech94
12-08-2018, 03:04 PM
https://youtu.be/u1j4mK6cs_A<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u1j4mK6cs_A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MIAdragon
12-08-2018, 03:14 PM
Exactly

Supmarkus
12-08-2018, 03:16 PM
If it’s anything like the UK, you don’t have that option - if there’s damage to it you are likely able to claim for that, but given it’s been recovered, to take the money when the car is available would not be indemnity & would cost your insurer more than returning. Best option would be to recover and sell.

eDave
12-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Car insurance is for suckers.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-08-2018, 03:24 PM
Car insurance is for suckers.

ROFL And required by law

Bwana
12-08-2018, 04:11 PM
https://youtu.be/u1j4mK6cs_A<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u1j4mK6cs_A" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

ROFL

BWillie
12-08-2018, 04:15 PM
So our daily beater was stolen last week and was just recovered across the state. It was a very clean 12 335i with 90k and I actually didn’t hate driving it. Here’s the delima after being gone a week and who know what the hell happened to it/in it do I have the option to decline the return to my possession? What options do I have? And yes I immediately suspected midnightvulture, anyone seen his punk ass?

If you are asking if your insurance will pay you the value of your vehicle if it isn't damaged or a total loss - the answer is no.

T-post Tom
12-08-2018, 04:17 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u1j4mK6cs_A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing worse than a spite shit AND a placenta blowing out all over your back window.... ROFL

TribalElder
12-08-2018, 04:43 PM
have it totaled

buy it back at a discount

get a check for the difference

season tickets now available

CoMoChief
12-08-2018, 04:51 PM

i mean was the car damaged at all or you're just afraid the person who stole it had cooties?

What is the goal you're trying to accomplish? You want to just wash your hands of it all together and hope to get a check in the mail from your insurance company?

Since it's been recovered the insurance adjuster will probably assign an estimator to go out to the site where vehicle is located and will determine damage, whether it's driveable or just cosmetic damage, may advise to have car move to a shop for further diagn.

Bugeater
12-08-2018, 05:25 PM
If you are asking if your insurance will pay you the value of your vehicle if it isn't damaged or a total loss - the answer is no.
If they hooned the hell out of it for a week it may still run fine at the moment and appear ok, but the life of the car could be seriously shortened. I'd consider that "damaged".

notorious
12-08-2018, 05:29 PM
If they hooned the hell out of it for a week it may still run fine at the moment and appear ok, but the life of the car could be seriously shortened. I'd consider that "damaged".

That's the tough part.

I hit a deer with a work vehicle years ago. I stopped in about 1/4 mile. The cop that did the report asked me why I didn't keep driving so that I could shell out the transmission and get it replaced.

That decision cost me a new transmission since it went out a month after getting out of the shop. Insurance didn't give a shit that the tranny was weaker due to the loss of fluid. It's either broken or it isn't after an incident. That's all they will fix.

SAUTO
12-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Insurance companies suck.

I'm tired of dealing with them already

MIAdragon
12-08-2018, 05:38 PM

Bingo, it a full bolt on car that’s been tuned it’s a safe bet it’s been driven like it’s been stolen. Not something I’d like to chance.

SAUTO
12-08-2018, 05:42 PM
I think you're stuck with it. You would be in Missouri at least

Perineum Ripper
12-08-2018, 05:55 PM
I just want everyone to take a second and let the fact this guy’s daily beater was a BMW with a horrible 90,000 miles on it.

MIAdragon
12-08-2018, 06:06 PM
I just want everyone to take a second and let the fact this guy’s daily beater was a BMW with a horrible 90,000 miles on it.

It’s a high mile 3 series, it’s not even apricot or anything.

BryanBusby
12-08-2018, 06:36 PM
Unless you can prove the car is damaged and the cost to repair is beyond around 75% of the value, you better just plan on taking the car back.

If the OP wants the the shit gone he should probably leave it running in a bad area.

MIAdragon
12-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Unless you can prove the car is damaged and the cost to repair is beyond around 75% of the value, you better just plan on taking the car back.

If the OP wants the the shit gone he should probably leave it running in a bad area.

Why? So someone can “borrow” it for the weekend again? And not even have the decency to return it with the same fuel level as they received!?

Demonpenz
12-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Man the high end sports car that is my beater was taken or a joyride because it is so awesome then the people returned it undamaged with not a spec of Jizz all up in the heated seats. What a time to be alive. No the insurance company won't do shit. If people could decline their car returned like you are saying anyone with a knock or a fart in their car would park it 10 miles away and claim it too be stolen.

MIAdragon
12-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Man the high end sports car that is my beater was taken or a joyride because it is so awesome then the people returned it undamaged with not a spec of Jizz all up in the heated seats. What a time to be alive. No the insurance company won't do shit. If people could decline their car returned like you are saying anyone with a knock or a fart in their car would park it 10 miles away and claim it too be stolen.

Lmao, hate much? Again it’s a high mile 3 series, nothing high end about it. It is damaged, broken window and dented hood, however those are the least of my concerns. It’s the hidden mechanical damage that is possible. And this isn’t a claim, the car was taken, and for a week god knows what was done to it.

BryanBusby
12-08-2018, 08:00 PM
They stuck their dicks in the tailpipe m8

Your car has herpes

lewdog
12-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Stolen from your house?

BWillie
12-08-2018, 08:31 PM

You are going to need to find a mechanic that can vouch for what has been compromised. Even then, very doubtful it will be a total loss unless you have an old vehicle

MIAdragon
12-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Stolen from your house?

Yep

Chief Roundup
12-08-2018, 08:38 PM
I don't think 90K is high miles for a 2012. We are basically in 2019 making it 7 years old. The average is between 12,000 to 15,000 depending on whether you are buying or selling. So 84,000 to 105,000 would be average.

lewdog
12-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Yep

Only poor people park on the street and not in their garage.

MIAdragon
12-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Only poor people park on the street and not in their garage.

Fuck you, the nice chromeless shit is in the garage.

Demonpenz
12-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Lmao, hate much? Again it’s a high mile 3 series, nothing high end about it. It is damaged, broken window and dented hood, however those are the least of my concerns. It’s the hidden mechanical damage that is possible. And this isn’t a claim, the car was taken, and for a week god knows what was done to it.

Sorry about the car. I am a car guy so I know it sucks. I had my jeep fixed after a wreck not my fault then I parked it in a driveway and then someone ran a stopsign and drove up my drive and totaled it. So it sucks. Hopefully nothing is wrong with it. Probably just dumb kids being dumb or a drug run.

Buehler445
12-09-2018, 12:16 AM
Sucks about the car, man. People suck.

Unfortunately, I'd guess you're boned. The shit thing is that even with insurance, if bad shit happens you don't come out whole. Sucks, but it is the nature of shit.

People suck. Fuck people.

cooper barrett
12-09-2018, 01:16 AM
IMHO 90K miles on a well maintained F30 is nothing and being driven hard for a week doesn't phase them. If it was stolen by Bueller, that's another story.

I would have pictures and receipts ready but would not volunteer them until the word total is used.

I would get the shop (you are in good graces with) to vouch for the fact that the car was flawless and that it is now not running, driving, or shifting as it did on last service visit. There is a lot of unknown info about this car, mileage since stolen, body damage, and even if there were tires and wheels on the car. *** remember that you control where your car gets repaired.
Just tell the shop manager/ owner that you don't want it back and they will steer the insurance adjuster towards totaling the car. If it was not badly hurt and the wheels are still on it, undamaged with even wear and no abuse signs than you're getting your car back.

The key is to have your shop note, in writing, on paper(estimates and invoices) that becomes part of the file, that they feel the car was seriously compromised and why. If the steering or suspension has been damaged (strut noise, popping or a pull can get expensive quickly. If they drove the wheels off of it, the tires may be down to the belts, the wheels gouged, and the interior and body may need expensive repairs.Your shop can make notes to the effect that implies need to diagnose shifting or engine issues. They may request oil and tranny fluids be tested and failure of the ins. co. to authorize would leave the door open for them to pay future claims.*

You should refer to your state's laws on "Diminished value" as this will appear on CARFAX and other services.
I made State Farm buy back a Benz 320 SLK that was not fixed right (up to Mercedes standards) and found them only wanting to verify proof sources to make decisions. Aristocrat's used car manager wrote a letter stating diminished value. Additionally, letter from Frank Eveland at Eveland Bros. Collision Repair, Inc. stating that the car was compromised beyond proper repair made State Farm offer up an check for almost what was paid for the car along with generous payment for my time away from work and expenses. No bickering whatsoever. I bought my SLK32-AMG with the proceeds.

*Unlike the tranny mentioned above you can make a claim after the fact and most good insurance companies will make good if the claim is plausible to the original claim.

dlphg9
12-09-2018, 02:03 AM
You are going to need to find a mechanic that can vouch for what has been compromised. Even then, very doubtful it will be a total loss unless you have an old vehicle

Good thing we have a mod that's a mechanic and he will vouch for him.

How much you gonna charge him, Sauto?

Buehler445
12-09-2018, 02:54 AM
IMHO 90K miles on a well maintained F30 is nothing and being driven hard for a week doesn't phase them. If it was stolen by Buhler, that's another story.

What the fuck did I do? I drive like a grandpa most of the time.

Chargem
12-09-2018, 05:05 AM
Would it be douchey just to sell it ASAP?

cabletech94
12-09-2018, 07:33 AM
What the fuck did I do? I drive like a grandpa most of the time.

at least I spell buehler right (time to time).ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Bugeater
12-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Would it be douchey just to sell it ASAP?
Absolutely a total douche move. And it's exactly what I would do.

cooper barrett
12-09-2018, 09:58 AM
What the **** did I do? I drive like a grandpa most of the time.

https://d32c3oe4bky4k6.cloudfront.net/articles-videos/-/media/uscamediasite/images/story-images/2016/6/fbdo1.ashx?modified=20170725120224&w=800&h=600&CenterCrop=1&useCustomFunctions=1&hash=861555E4B47643360C7F60A5EF75487DFDF43073

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqjK6jjt6gk?controls=0&amp;start=142" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scho63
12-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Of all the things that have confused and confounded me my whole life, insurance of any kind is at the top of the list, especially medical and life.

Never seems there is an ability to compare apples to apples.

Buehler445
12-09-2018, 11:39 AM
https://d32c3oe4bky4k6.cloudfront.net/articles-videos/-/media/uscamediasite/images/story-images/2016/6/fbdo1.ashx?modified=20170725120224&w=800&h=600&CenterCrop=1&useCustomFunctions=1&hash=861555E4B47643360C7F60A5EF75487DFDF43073

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqjK6jjt6gk?controls=0&amp;start=142" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That's Bueller dog.

Not particularly close to what you referenced.

cooper barrett
12-09-2018, 11:50 AM
That's Bueller dog.

Not particularly close to what you referenced.

yep, I typo'ed and at you expense. Sorry

Now back to your driving with your panties in a wadROFLROFLROFLROFL

Buehler445
12-09-2018, 01:02 PM
yep, I typo'ed and at you expense. Sorry

Now back to your driving with your panties in a wadROFLROFLROFLROFL

Meh. Not my fault your spelling is bad enough regarding a cult classic that it looks like you're hurling random insults my way.

dlphg9
12-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Meh. Not my fault your spelling is bad enough regarding a cult classic that it looks like you're hurling random insults my way.

Cooper is a fucking retard man.

BWillie
12-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Of all the things that have confused and confounded me my whole life, insurance of any kind is at the top of the list, especially medical and life.

Never seems there is an ability to compare apples to apples.

I like how people get mad at insurance because they will put them in the same position as before the loss - not a better one. Like it's the insurance companies fault. You better buy me a brand new car even though I had a 7 year old hoopty! You better pay me 2 million because I'm an old decrepit 60 year old and broke my arm in the accident! It isn't your insureds fault but you still owe me money because "we pay for insurance"! Most of it is no logical thought process - just feelings.

SAUTO
12-09-2018, 03:50 PM
I like how people get mad at insurance because they will put them in the same position as before the loss - not a better one. Like it's the insurance companies fault. You better buy me a brand new car even though I had a 7 year old hoopty! You better pay me 2 million because I'm an old decrepit 60 year old and broke my arm in the accident! It isn't your insureds fault but you still owe me money because "we pay for insurance"! Most of it is no logical thought process - just feelings. what if it is their insured's fault?