PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Good & Bad of the Ravens Win

petegz28
12-09-2018, 03:57 PM
Needless to say we lose that game with Alex Smith or just about any other QB. That being said let's start with the bad so we can end on a good note...

The Bad:

2 missed FG's:The first one was long and I didn't thin we should have kicked it so I will give Butker a pass on that one. The 42 yard attempt to win the game though was a choke. Yes, it was a bad snap and such but you gotta make that shit to ice the game.

Tackling: Seriously..WTF is with this shit. ****ing tackle. It's that simple.

Bob Sutton: Calling a nickel defense early on had a lot of us questioning WTF he was doing? We still don't know.

The Hindsight Play: Should have declined the penalty in the 4th to go to 3rd & 1, though I think most thought at the time taking the penalty to get the automatic 1st was the right decision.

Mahomes INT: Gotta just throw that away and punt. Can't win them all. A late flag made it almost like a punt but that's the learning he needs to do. Gotta know when it isn't your drive and not make shit worse

Now for the Good:

Spencer Ware: Dude had a bad ass game against the #1 D. Went out with a shoulder and came back with a "**** these punks" attitude.

Reek: Dude was limping and gimping all over the place and we don't win the game without him. Huge effort from him today.

Mahomes: What's to say....this kid is just a phenom. He makes plays I don't think Rodgers, Brady or Favre make. He has the Montana mentality with the Marino arm and the Rodgers ability and the Elway scrappiness. The kid is just ****ing awesome. You can't say enough about him. The #1 defense shut him down for an entire half but when the game was on the line he could not be stopped.

Bob Sutton: Bob's defense arguably got their first clutch stop since he has been the DC on a 4th & 22. And really the play was there and a very ticky-tack DPI could have been called but he got the stop and won the game.

All in all these are the games that show this team has turned the corner. It takes BS false starts or playing a miraculously perfect game with 0 penalties to beat us.

SAUTO
12-09-2018, 03:59 PM
I can't believe it.

eDave
12-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Refs were good better.

JakeF
12-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Our defense is better when we let Houston and Ford rush the passer and stop dropping them into coverage.

Put Houston and Ford on either end, put run stuffers in at DT.

ThaVirus
12-09-2018, 04:02 PM
This offensive line is fucking garbage.

It needs to be addressed ASAP.

The Iron Chief
12-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Of course I'm just thrilled we won.
But deeper is the fact that PM experienced a team like this.
He was hit over and over no time to think and pulled thru.
An overtime game win!
Hes a stud hes our stud hes 23 and hes not going anywhere.
This game he learned so much

petegz28
12-09-2018, 04:05 PM
This offensive line is ****ing garbage.

Dude we are missing 2 starters and we were going against the #1 D in the league. When it came down to it, they performed when we needed them too. If Mahomes doesn't flat out drop a ball in OT we probably score a TD and win. In the 4th they blocked their ass off or at least enough to tie the game and to get what should have been a game winning FG.

Easy 6
12-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Yep, hats off to Reek, he gutted it out all day long

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2018, 04:08 PM

Combo of playing backups vs the #1 defense with a qb still learning protections and a coach still trying to figure out our offensive identity post kareem hunt. Our ol has been solid most of the year. Ill give them the benefit of a doubt.

suzzer99
12-09-2018, 04:09 PM
Mahomes INT isn't that bad of a risk on 3rd and 8.

The defense sucks. We know that. They actually bounced back and played well at the end.

Butker missing that kick now could turn out to be a good thing - if it keeps Reid from settling for a long-ish FG in the playoffs. There was no reason we couldn't have tried a safe pass there. Mahomes is too smart to throw an INT.

Reerun_KC
Bad - Fat Andy.

TomBarndtsTwin
The bad: we’re not gonna have enough players left to play the ****ing Chargers on Thursday after all the ****ing injuries in this one.

I guess if we need to sit them all (bye week), let them get healthy for Seattle and hope we can pull out a close one against the Chargers?

Only other option is to go all in against the Chargers to win and then sit everyone against Seattle and ‘take the loss’ there. That game has become almost meaningless now with Pats loss today (assuming we can beat Chargers).

What say you, Chiefs Planet???

Reerun_KC
12-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Fat Andy + Mahomes = win

Fat Andy + Systemic Alex = castrophic loss.

dannybcaitlyn
12-09-2018, 04:11 PM

I agreed. They were horrible. Thank God we have a stud who can make shit happen.

New World Order

When Irving went out they got hammered.

DRM08
Bad...injuries for sure. Tyreek, Cam, Spencer...Mahomes took a ton of hits as the OL struggled against the pass rush. All those guys are gonna have a tough week of recovery trying to get ready for Chargers on Thursday.

ping2000
12-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Mahomes is the candy your Mom gives you after taking nasty tasting medicine. Today Andy was cough syrup. Mahomes was a jolly rancher. Thank you Mr. Mahomes.

Rain Man
12-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Taking the first down on that penalty was absolutely the right thing to do. Blame the drive after that, not that decision.

ping2000
12-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Place everyone in the cryo freeze and pump them full of growth hormone. Heal up quick!

petegz28
12-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Taking the first down on that penalty was absolutely the right thing to do. Blame the drive after that, not that decision.

Agreed. That's why I called it the hindsight play.....

Buehler445
12-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Houston ate some souls out there, man. He earned that money.

Chiefnj2
12-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Fisher saved the game.

The Jesuits are going to be really mad at the mo call to end the game.

Rasputin
12-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Refs were good better.

I think this is the first game of the season we had less penalties than the other team.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-09-2018, 04:28 PM
470 yards on the number one D...lulz

Chiefnj2
12-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Should not have Thursday games this late in the year. No way to recover after a rough Sunday.

petegz28
12-09-2018, 04:31 PM
470 yards on the number one D...lulz

Exactly. I think this O has shown you better be able to score to beat us cause you aren't gonna stop us.

RedRaider56
12-09-2018, 04:42 PM
I think this is the first game of the season we had less penalties than the other team.

unfortunately, they missed some late hit calls on Mahomes, especially the one where the defender led with the crown of his helmet

farmerchief
12-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Place everyone in the cryo freeze and pump them full of growth hormone. Heal up quick!
The players may have to stand in line to sit in the ice tubs after that game! I remember some of the Steelers saying they were always hurting after playing the Ravens. Hope Cincy keeps making chargers work for the win.

petegz28
12-09-2018, 04:44 PM
unfortunately, they missed some late hit calls on Mahomes, especially the one where the defender led with the crown of his helmet

Agreed. The seem to keep the flag in their pocket when it comes to roughing Patrick.

Buehler445
12-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Agreed. The seem to keep the flag in their pocket when it comes to roughing Patrick.

Yeah, I was REALLY hot about that. Like throwing shit at the TV hot.

Basileus777
12-09-2018, 05:19 PM
No it wasn't. They would have had a 3rd and one. They would have converted it on 3rd or 4th down. Or if they pussied out on 4th, a short fg.

HemiEd
12-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I was REALLY hot about that. Like throwing shit at the TV hot.

Twice he had the defender land on him with full body weight, pure bullshit. They are supposed to call that.

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2018, 05:25 PM
The bad: holding and dpi penalties are somewhat forgivable. We had too many stupid penalties that are totally unforgivable

The good: I was intrigued by DeShaun Watson before the draft. His clutch plays at Clemson in big games were obscene. Mahomes has been special this season. But what makes him so different from anything we've seen is he's showing to be that qb who plays like a totally different qb with the game on the line. Trent green was good but he never gave you that Michael Jordan "I'm going to score at all costs" death stare. I mean... Hell, it took Aaron Rodgers almost a decade to play like this in the clutch. This game wasn't mahomes' best but he silenced a lot of critics today who tried to use one Rams game to suggest he's a choke artist.

TwistedChief
12-09-2018, 05:26 PM
No it wasn't. They would have had a 3rd and one. They would have converted it on 3rd or 4th down. Or if they pussied out on 4th, a short fg.

We can debate this forever.

In a normal game with our offense humming, you definitely take the first down. But this is the first game we've played this year where it felt like a field possession contest and with that in mind, it was less clear in hindsight. Our offense didn't seem in sync at that point and another 15yds would've been real. Worst case we have 3rd and 1? Then 4th and 1?

I liked the decision for a split second but don't like it in hindsight, irrespective of the outcome. But whatever. We fucking won.

displacedinMN
12-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Is the defense problem the scheme, the personal or the coaching?

There may have been a thread like that.

MahiMike
12-09-2018, 06:45 PM
There's no such thing as a bad win.

Basileus777
12-09-2018, 06:46 PM
There's no such thing as a bad win.
How about a win that keeps you from getting the #1 pick?

petegz28
12-09-2018, 06:50 PM

Bullshit. You have no clue if the would have or not. False start. Holding. You are making an assumption.

Spott
12-09-2018, 07:00 PM

They missed late hits on the QB all game long. Half the time, they call a late hot for breathing too hard on the QB, then games like this they hit late almost every play and nothing gets called. If that was Brady back there, they would have called it at least a half a dozen times.

Basileus777
12-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Bullshit. You have no clue if the would have or not. False start. Holding. You are making an assumption.
Statistically the odds of converting it are very very high. Denying the penalty gives you a higher chance of 3 points or 7 points.

TrebMaxx
12-09-2018, 07:15 PM
All good takes but I am waiting for gblowfish 10 things to complete today's game.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l0IyeL8r9UhJI5LcA" width="480" height="202" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/movie-austin-powers-international-man-of-mystery-l0IyeL8r9UhJI5LcA">via GIPHY</a></p>

stumppy
12-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Is the defense problem the scheme, the personal or the coaching?

There may have been a thread like that.

Yes

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2018, 07:37 PM
All good takes but I am waiting for gblowfish 10 things to complete today's game.

Yep, George is the best....here (and in D.C., heh)

Easy 6
12-09-2018, 07:51 PM

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l0IyeL8r9UhJI5LcA" width="480" height="202" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/movie-austin-powers-international-man-of-mystery-l0IyeL8r9UhJI5LcA">via GIPHY</a></p>

Gonna be a good one, no doubt

Inspector
12-09-2018, 07:52 PM
The slaps instead of actual tackling and the possibility that our kicker may choke in those clutch kicks when the game is on the line.

Makes me think, at times, this may not really be a super bowl team. Super bowl offense, yeah, for sure.

But, then, they find ways of pulling out wins and as such, I can overlook the problem areas. And that makes me realize that maybe yeah, maybe they are a super bowl team.

I could do without the cardiac issues days like this cause.

Oh, and refs, stop letting defenses try to kill Mahomes. Thanks!

PunkinDrublic
12-09-2018, 08:23 PM

Finally a game where we seemed to clean up the stupid penalties. The only ticky tack call I thought was BS was that block in the back that wiped out a first down.

petegz28
12-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Finally a game where we seemed to clean up the stupid penalties. The only ticky tack call I thought was BS was that block in the back that wiped out a first down.

Was a horrible call. Though the Refs made up for it by calling Crabtree for OPI which was an equally horrible call.

FloridaMan88
12-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Last two games really emphasized how awful the Chiefs safeties are playing.

Eric Berry in a full body cast is an upgrade at this point.

KC_Connection
12-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Didn't and don't have a problem with Mahomes' INT. Those are the kind of mistakes that happen at times when you have a QB of his level of talent/playmaking ability and you never want to stifle that (see 4th quarter drive to tie the game). It also had very little impact on the game itself as it was 3rd and long and essentially acted like a punt.

T-post Tom
12-09-2018, 09:52 PM

yes

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Another bad thing... Mahomes has been getting hit way too much 3 of the last 4 games. Romo pointed out a few times that he wasn't always calling the right protections. I wonder if we'll see more cover 0 like we did today. Teams by now know mahomes is tough but I think they're testing his ability to read the blitz and use the pocket correctly. He's still dominating but good Ds are starting to adjust to him somewhat.

The good news is I thought mahomes was a lot better at checking down. Our running backs are better suited for that. And for as outstanding a defense as Baltimore is, he read the blitz correctly a lot. But have to keep reminding myself that he's still raw and he's still learning. Playing a D like this is huge for his development. Seattle will be too.

Katie
12-09-2018, 11:33 PM
I have to agree with what Romo said at the end of regulation. Throw a screen to get extra yards to make the field goal more manageable. We get an extra 5 on that he makes that field goal.

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-09-2018, 11:44 PM

Safeties weren't the problem today, besides a couple of missed tackles... They only had 123 yards passing.

BigRedChief
12-09-2018, 11:44 PM
The bad: Reid’s playcalling. An run option to the short side of the field with the game on the line?

How many times did Mahomes do a planned roll out? Best QB on the run ever. Stiff defense and Andy doesn’t use the best playmaker he’s ever had?

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-09-2018, 11:47 PM
The bad: Reid’s playcalling. An run option to the short side of the field with the game on the line?

How many times did Mahomes do a planned roll out? Best QB on the run ever. Stiff defense and Andy doesn’t use the best playmaker he’s ever had?

Fuck... We had 470 yards against the #1..... I will say again, #1 defense in the NFL. Some plays aren't going to work in that type of match-up. If we kick fieldgoals and cover a punt, this game is at the spread or higher.

PunkinDrublic
12-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Another bad thing... Mahomes has been getting hit way too much 3 of the last 4 games. Romo pointed out a few times that he wasn't always calling the right protections. I wonder if we'll see more cover 0 like we did today. Teams by now know mahomes is tough but I think they're testing his ability to read the blitz and use the pocket correctly. He's still dominating but good Ds are starting to adjust to him somewhat.

The good news is I thought mahomes was a lot better at checking down. Our running backs are better suited for that. And for as outstanding a defense as Baltimore is, he read the blitz correctly a lot. But have to keep reminding myself that he's still raw and he's still learning. Playing a D like this is huge for his development. Seattle will be too.

Not a lot of teams have the talent on defense to do what Baltimore did today. Make no mistake about it, Baltimore is tough as shit on the D line.

dlphg9
12-09-2018, 11:59 PM
No way in hell someone doesn't take the automatic first in that situation. Cuz if we would have declined it and not gotten the first everyone would be saying how stupid he was for declining it.

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-10-2018, 12:01 AM
No way in hell someone doesn't take the automatic first in that situation. Cuz if we would have declined it and not gotten the first everyone would be saying how stupid he was for declining it.

I tend to agree. If we have Alex Smith still, we take the penalty and kick it if we can't get the 3rd in 1, Mahomes changes this thinking.

chiefzilla1501
12-10-2018, 12:04 AM
Not a lot of teams have the talent on defense to do what Baltimore did today. Make no mistake about it, Baltimore is tough as shit on the D line.

No doubt. A great learning experience for mahomes. It's not a wart, just saying it's an areaq where he can and will get better. Getting hit 15 times is a lot. And the ravens hit hard. Arizona and LA also knocked him around a bit.

suzzer99
12-10-2018, 12:20 AM

I agreed with the first at the time. But analysis seems to suggest 3rd and 1 would be better. From another site:

Looking at an expected points graph, 1st & 10 from 37 looks like it's worth about 2.7-2.8. 1st & 10 from the 25 looks like it's worth 3.7, maybe more.

Obviously not apples to apples, but it's reasonable to assume 3rd&1 and 1st&10 are equivalent scenarios. Potential penalties hurt 3rd&1 more, but you're still in FG range usually. Can't see the downsides being anywhere near a whole point.

3rd down all day for me.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181210/f8fc158968589dd99fad2e593b24dd52.jpg

UK_Chief
12-10-2018, 12:52 AM

Maybe it was the Ravens changing scheme or something but it seemed like towards the end Pat had a lot more time to throw. I was thinking WTF o line, why didn’t you do that all game?

BigRedChief
12-10-2018, 07:31 AM
Maybe it was the Ravens changing scheme or something but it seemed like towards the end Pat had a lot more time to throw. I was thinking WTF o line, why didn’t you do that all game?Yes, they changed their defense to a more safe one. Read an article on it. Someone from the team commented that they didn't want to get beat deep by Mahomes that they had the game where they wanted it, didn't need to gamble with blitzes. Big mistake.

notorious
12-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Shouldn’t have let it come down to 4th and 22! /every chosen team in history

(Wrong thread lol)

BigRedChief
12-10-2018, 07:35 AM
Fuck... We had 470 yards against the #1..... I will say again, #1 defense in the NFL. Some plays aren't going to work in that type of match-up. If we kick fieldgoals and cover a punt, this game is at the spread or higher.With the game on the line, You don't call a BS college type sweep to the short side of the field against the #1 defense that has the box filled with defenders. Every fan, coach, player and anyone else with eyeballs can fucking see, knows with the game on the line, you put the ball in Mahomes hands and let him do his magic, not decide who to give the ball to have them run into 9 defenders in the box.

In Mahomes we trust.

FringeNC
12-10-2018, 07:36 AM
The bad news: The Ravens dominated the LOS on both sides for about 3.5 quarters (even when we moved the ball in the first half).

The good news: Mahomes magic won the game. Additionally, if we meet these guys in the playoffs, hopefully we'll be at full strength on the O-line, and Andy will work his magic watching the film and game-planning.

This is the type of game that we'd have had no chance of winning with Alex Smith. The protection for the most part was terrible and Mahomes still made plays.

notorious
12-10-2018, 07:39 AM
The Chiefiest thing to do is to change your defense to prevent when normal D has been awesome all day.

Dumbass Ravens.

petegz28
12-10-2018, 08:32 AM

^

FloridaMan88
12-10-2018, 09:06 AM
Safeties weren't the problem today, besides a couple of missed tackles... They only had 123 yards passing.

The Ravens have zero consistent passing game with Lamar Jackson at QB, so "only" giving up 123 passing yards against that offense is not a reflection of the Chiefs safety play.

What WAS a reflection of the Chiefs safety play was the numerous missed tackles in rushing defense support and also the failure to make plays during the few instances when the Ravens did throw the ball downfield.

The Chiefs have gone as far as they can go with the Ron Parker/Eric Murray shitshow... time for Eric Berry (in whatever condition he might be in) to return.

12-10-2018, 09:08 AM
The Chiefiest thing to do is to change your defense to prevent when normal D has been awesome all day.

Dumbass Ravens.That always amazes me.

htismaqe
12-10-2018, 11:02 AM
The Ravens have zero consistent passing game with Lamar Jackson at QB, so "only" giving up 123 passing yards against that offense is not a reflection of the Chiefs safety play.

What WAS a reflection of the Chiefs safety play was the numerous missed tackles in rushing defense support and also the failure to make plays during the few instances when the Ravens did throw the ball downfield.

The Chiefs have gone as far as they can go with the Ron Parker/Eric Murray shitshow... time for Eric Berry (in whatever condition he might be in) to return.

This.

With a bullet.