PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Special Teams: going great

Prison Bitch
12-13-2018, 10:53 AM
I don’t know how to judge special teams and never have. According to the data metrics, they all agree: we are near the top of the NFL. Just like last year when Gosselin had us #2 overall.

1. PF Reference says we get +2/game points (+17 off / - 10 def / +2 spec = +9 avg margin)

2. Football outsiders have us #2 behind the Jets in their metric DVOA:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

3. TeamRankings #4, getting +0.5/game boost
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/special-teams-points-per-game

Any theories why this is? Tyreek has been awfully quiet all year since Game 1, Buttlicker isn’t special, Colquitt never punts this year, we blocked only one punt vsCLE......so what is it?

Rain Man
12-13-2018, 11:52 AM
A big part of special teams is keeping bad things from happening. We never have blocked kicks and we never yield big returns. Last week's return by that Ravens guy was the first long return I've seen by a Chiefs opponent in age.

R Clark
12-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Isn't kicking apart of st ? Cause missing fg and xp seem to be somewhat of a problem.i don't see going great the term to use for special teams.are history of kickers in play off games screwing up scares the shit out of me right about now

Prison Bitch
12-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Isn't kicking apart of st ? Cause missing fg and xp seem to be somewhat of a problem.i don't see going great the term to use for special teams.are history of kickers in play off games screwing up scares the shit out of me right about now

Yes^. Apparently the DVOA says buttlicker is an avg kicker, good at kickoffs (or his coverage is good), our return game is top-5 both pints and kicks, and punter is avg

chiefzilla1501
12-13-2018, 12:13 PM

I'd say our kicker has been mostly fine. Not sure how I feel about our long snapper.

Luke Atamadong
12-13-2018, 12:18 PM
A big part of special teams is keeping bad things from happening. We never have blocked kicks and we never yield big returns. Last week's return by that Ravens guy was the first long return I've seen by a Chiefs opponent in age.

That's because we're the only team in the league with the same talent level on special teams as the first string defense.

Rain Man
12-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Among guys with 20+ field goal attempts, it looks like Butker is 9th in accuracy of 22 kickers. He's 22nd of 28 among guys with 20+ extra point attempts, but he's first among guys with more than 50. :D

Prison Bitch
12-13-2018, 12:32 PM
That's because we're the only team in the league with the same talent level on special teams as the first string defense.

Ouch

R Clark
12-13-2018, 12:47 PM
I'd say our kicker has been mostly fine. Not sure how I feel about our long snapper.

Right , I agree and Chiefs have always had good ones seems .dont remember problems in past. So has that butt licker deal? It's been on the long snapper? Cause he has had some missed kicks that shouldn't have been. Freaks me out remember colts playoff loss,donkey loss in97 shit