PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports To what extent do you focus on "sports media"?

DaFace
12-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Seems like we have 3-5 threads every week talking about something one of the radio guys or talking heads on ESPN has said, and I always feel kind of lost in those conversations. About the only time I even see what national guys are saying is during halftime of games, and I don't think I've listened to actual talk radio in years (though I do follow some podcasts).

But anyway, I'm curious about what others do these days. So here's a poll.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-18-2018, 05:18 PM
Only to laugh at them. I think Le Batard's approach that they're all fools and none of us really know what we're watching is the most accurate and instructive.

Sports radio is where intelligent sports discussion goes to die.

chinaski
12-18-2018, 05:23 PM
I voted occasionally on all three. I don't really take any of it to heart though. :shake:

WhiteWhale
12-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Normally never, but I admit to paying a bit more attention this season entirely because of the Mahomes hype train.

RunKC
12-18-2018, 05:32 PM
I’ve found that quality is all I look for anymore. Don’t care much about big media much anymore unless I see some cool clips of guys like Shannon Sharpe primping Mahomes. Kinda funny that people get mad about guys like Cowherd or GMFB saying something against Mahomes (they can’t fellate him every goddamn time).

I really like listening to Grunhard though. I think he’s the best listen for Chiefs talk.

3rd&Long
12-18-2018, 05:37 PM
My standard is always, 'tell me something I didn't know and tell me why I should know it". We're talking sports journalism with the founder being Howard Cosell. Most of these hairdos, tin throats and scribes regurgitate the same old-same old lines without delving deeper into the topic. Yeah, I'm an old crusty bastard so there it is.

HemiEd
12-18-2018, 05:38 PM
I have arrived at the point where I prefer the silence in the car while driving and enjoy the scenery.

I must admit though, I have listened to the talking heads on ESPN about a half dozen times this year in the morning while on the treadmill just to enjoy the Mahomes talk.

Podcasts? Heck no, never.

smithandrew051
12-18-2018, 05:48 PM
It’s all for entertainment and nothing more.

All of the National names play roles and do what they can to spark interest in themselves. Cowherd is a good example. He plays the somewhat analytical contrarian. He never admits he’s wrong, he just shifts his justification for what he said.

I like the local sports radio more than the national media for sports. Petro is a bit of a douche, but I think he’s the smartest of the local guys. Even when I disagree with him, I respect his detail and logic. I listen to Fescoe for pure entertainment. He’s like a parody of an actual sports radio host.

chinaski
12-18-2018, 05:54 PM
It’s all for entertainment and nothing more.

All of the National names play roles and do what they can to spark interest in themselves. Cowherd is a good example. He plays the somewhat analytical contrarian. He never admits he’s wrong, he just shifts his justification for what he said.

I like the local sports radio more than the national media for sports. Petro is a bit of a douche, but I think he’s the smartest of the local guys. Even when I disagree with him, I respect his detail and logic. I listen to Fescoe for pure entertainment. He’s like a parody of an actual sports radio host.

He's a mega flip flopper. I used to pay attention, but it really is a bunch of nonsense. I'll occasionally tune in with the volume down to see Joy. :D

displacedinMN
12-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Mostly CP

I am fucked.

FAX
12-18-2018, 05:58 PM
This year was the outlier for me.

Prior to this year, I never watched and rarely listened to the nogs. Once Mahomes was named the starter, however, that changed for me. I've been checking in almost daily to find out what various and sundry nogs are saying about his play. It got old, though, so I can't say I'm addicted.

FAX

Sassy Squatch
12-18-2018, 05:59 PM
There need to be more sports talk shows like Inside the NBA on TNT. I don't even like basketball that much, but that group toes the line pretty damn well as far as entertainment, keeping it honest, and analyzing their sport.

notorious
12-18-2018, 06:12 PM
18-25 Watched Sportscenter and every game I could, radio during work

25-30. Watched every game I could. Caught sportscenter ever once in a while, radio during work

30-35. Watch some games, stopped watching sportscenter type shows, radio during work

35-40 watch few games, no more pregame or ESPN, radio during work

40+. watch maybe 2-3 game a weekend. Fuck pregame shows and ESPN, maybe listen to 3-5 hours sports radio a week. Have completely cut off ESPN content since Russilo left

That’s my story. Basically got bored with the same bullshit on 24 hours a day. It sucks.

Rain Man
12-18-2018, 06:16 PM
I'll frequently watch whatever that NFL Network show is, but pretty much only because it's on after something interesting and I don't change the channel. I don't seek it out.

WhawhaWhat
12-18-2018, 06:26 PM
I'll frequently watch whatever that NFL Network show is, but pretty much only because it's on after something interesting and I don't change the channel. I don't seek it out.

I find Kay Adams pretty interesting on their morning show.

http://i.imgur.com/OtK1lj4.jpg

digger
12-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Working from home now, I check this out daily: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNT350AidKtPUcVcXERyydw

And this when there is something new: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1quXkJYOUHlDSw-6tMe-Fg

And this from time to time:

http://d136swi17h0tnq.cloudfront.net/Upload/2016-07/4376984c-ebee-4dde-b24b-c42d9a485336_lrg.jpg

NJChiefsFan
12-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Maybe a quarter of the time I'm driving. Ny sports talk can be great depending on the host but I can't handle the callers.

Buehler445
12-18-2018, 07:16 PM
I can’t do it. It’s all a joke. Every bit of it. Even LeBatard who openly mocks sports talk is nothing but tired tropes.

I still listen to Russillos podcast because he’s the only motherfucker out there that does his homework and shys away from being a hot take factory. I might check out the Simms and Lefoke podcast that Mecca has posted up a few times. Surprisingly Manning’s spotlight things were fairly enjoyable.

It is appalling how bad sports opinion (there is rarely any analysis in there) is. It is truly awful.

penguinz
12-18-2018, 07:18 PM

http://i.imgur.com/OtK1lj4.jpgI bet she is dirty.

Easy 6
12-18-2018, 07:19 PM
If you consider pregame shows on Fox, ABC and NBC national sports talk shows its 2-3 times a week

Radio is almost daily when at work, been laid off/paid vacation for a month so its been a while... but Dan Patrick and Newy Scruggs help kill time almost daily

Dont have time for podcasts, I fill in that blank with this place, Chiefs Wire, AP, AA and my yahoo scroll that carries at least 7-8 different sports pages from Reuters, Yahoo, PFT, Associated Press etc

NJChiefsFan
12-18-2018, 07:22 PM
If you consider pregame shows on Fox, ABC and NBC national sports talk shows its 2-3 times a week

Radio is almost daily when at work, been laid off/paid vacation for a month so its been a while... but Dan Patrick and Newy Scruggs help kill time almost daily

Dont have time for podcasts, I fill in that blank with this place, Chiefs Wire, AP, AA and my yahoo scroll that carries at least 7-8 different sports pages from Reuters, Yahoo, PFT, Associated Press etc

Can't remember the last time I watched a pre game show.

BigRedChief
12-18-2018, 07:24 PM
I exercise for hours these days. I listen to Chiefs podcasts to help pass the time. Don’t listen to radio shows. Lately I record and skim through the sports talk shows on TV for Mahomes talk.

Dayze
12-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Only to laugh at them. I think Le Batard's approach that they're all fools and none of us really know what we're watching is the most accurate and instructive.

Sports radio is where intelligent sports discussion goes to die.

That.

KChiefs1
12-18-2018, 07:30 PM

I find her very interesting.

Easy 6
12-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Can't remember the last time I watched a pre game show.

Since swearing off all ESPN shows and not subscribing to the NFLN, those pregame shows help me catch up on things

On sundays for example, I'm almost always watching the NBC pregame at 6 even though theres always plenty of clock left on whatever turd late game is showing... whats going on around the league > turd late game

Needs my highlight reels

Dayze
12-18-2018, 07:38 PM
Used to watch Prime Time with regularity back in the day when it was just TJ and Berman and watch the pregame before the hosts grew to a count of like six mother fuckers. Now, all the fucking pregame shows are way over staffed . Consisting of some attractive chick, then a bunch of former players. Of which, probably only two or three are worth a fuck. Nothing is more entertaining than hearing six people laugh and joke and yell all at the same time for the viewer at home.

Compound that by the fact that the pregame shows are basically propaganda for the nfl and how awesome their players are in the community and the human interest stories

As much as Berman used to drive me crazy, I loved him and Tom Jackson’s pregame. Well, love it in comparison to what they put on to now.

Sucks.

College game day is where it’s at in terms of pregame. Though, still way too much human interest filler.

Easy 6
12-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Used to watch Prime Time with regularity back in the day when it was just TJ and Berman and watch the pregame before the hosts grew to a count of like six mother fuckers. Now, all the fucking pregame shows are way over staffed . Consisting of some attractive chick, then a bunch of former players. Of which, probably only two or three are worth a fuck. Nothing is more entertaining than hearing six people laugh and joke and yell all at the same time for the viewer at home.

Compound that by the fact that the pregame shows are basically propaganda for the nfl and how awesome their players are in the community and the human interest stories

As much as Berman used to drive me crazy, I loved him and Tom Jackson’s pregame. Well, love it in comparison to what they put on to now.

Sucks.

College game day is where it’s at in terms of pregame. Though, still way too much human interest filler.

Man after my own heart, those old Berman and Jackson Countdown Shows were great

Reuniting that duo is about the only way I'd ever watch ESPN again... many people here used to hate that show, but I used to rouse myself from some awful hangover to watch all of it

redfan
12-18-2018, 08:57 PM
I used to watch the George Michael Sports Machine way back when, but nothing now. It all seems too repetitive and shouty. I try, but nothing works for me. I usually stick to reading articles.

ARROW2
12-18-2018, 09:02 PM
I bet she is dirty.

I want her.

MMXcalibur
12-18-2018, 09:06 PM
I listen to Bob Fescoe the morning after a game to unwind after a loss or get excited again after a win. I'm not proud of it.

I never listen to podcasts (outside of Fescoe the next morning) and haven't watched a pre-game show in years. I don't watch regular NFL shows (NFL Live, NFL Total Access) because most of the opinions are shitbirds trying to get the "hottest take".

wazu
12-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Simms and Lefkoe podcast, FFBallers, and some 810 mixed in. Like Border Patrol and Petro. Realizing I selected "rarely or never" on TV but I actually do have on a fair amount of pregame stuff Sundays, Monday, etc. Usually listening in while doing other things just to catch any updates on fantasy player availability.

ARROW2
12-18-2018, 09:24 PM
Fuck Colin, Bayless, CC and Mangina.

Frazod
12-18-2018, 09:28 PM
I get most of my Chiefs information here. There are a few websites I'll go to as well. The frequency generally depends on how the Chiefs are doing. I completely hid from everything after that turd they crapped out Thursday night.

But the only time I watch ESPN is when a game's on. Otherwise, fuck them.

JakeF
12-18-2018, 09:30 PM
I watch the Dan Patrick show quite a bit. That's as much about the show as it is the sports content though.

BigRedChief
12-18-2018, 10:07 PM

http://i.imgur.com/OtK1lj4.jpgI know. She’s weirdly way more attractive than she should be for some reason.

Rain Man
12-18-2018, 10:18 PM

Would it be sexist if I ran a 'most attractive NFL reporter' tournament in the offseason? The NFL is clearly using attractiveness as a hiring criteria, so it seems like I'm just helping them out with their annual reviews, right?

oldman
12-18-2018, 10:19 PM
The only thing I watch are the pregame shows. My 8 year old grandson has a better take on sports than the locals. On 2nd thought, so does his 3 year old brother. What's a podcast?
To the Kay Adams comments, I'll bet she knows how to do some things that would make most of us go blind. But that's just a guess.

smithandrew051
12-18-2018, 10:22 PM
Someone else on here already said this, but I’ll reiterate:

College Gameday>>>>>>Any current NFL pregame show

St. Patty's Fire
12-18-2018, 10:28 PM

She’s so fucking hot bro

St. Patty's Fire
12-18-2018, 10:29 PM
As for media, it goes like this

Simms and Lefkoe

Everything else

notorious
12-18-2018, 10:35 PM
Dan Patrick is about it for me when it comes to radio, and I don’t really listen to them for sports.

I don’t understand how anyone on this planet can listen to the complete garbage ESPN puts on the radio. Lebatard used to be the worst show they had, now it’s the best which isn’t saying much.

Frazod
12-18-2018, 10:44 PM

Yeah, she's got that sneaky hot librarian thing going on. :drool:

Why Not?
12-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Listen to Mad Dog sports radio most of the time in the car. Love Scott Wetzel and I don't recall Nick Wright being very popular around here but I enjoy his national show. It's kinda cool having a national show where the host is an unapologetic KC fan.

NJChiefsFan
12-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Since swearing off all ESPN shows and not subscribing to the NFLN, those pregame shows help me catch up on things

On sundays for example, I'm almost always watching the NBC pregame at 6 even though theres always plenty of clock left on whatever turd late game is showing... whats going on around the league > turd late game

Needs my highlight reels

Makes sense. I have a few tv's set up so I catch most of the highlights from all the games. I used to love the fastest 3 minutes, especially when the Chiefs won.

Buehler445
12-18-2018, 11:23 PM
Would it be sexist if I ran a 'most attractive NFL reporter' tournament in the offseason? The NFL is clearly using attractiveness as a hiring criteria, so it seems like I'm just helping them out with their annual reviews, right?

Not any more sexist than virtually any other thread on the site.

Fire away.

Easy 6
12-18-2018, 11:25 PM

No one will be able to get a real handle on those crazy eyes and joker lips until she is at least 50 and running out of options

She will confound every poor sap she runs into until then

12-18-2018, 11:55 PM
I listen to sports radio in the car for a few minutes per day. I also check youtube for media talk highlights to see what the national morons what everyone to believe. Cowherd is the entertaining one because I don't think he believes one damn thing he says. Its all shock value for him.

bdj23
12-18-2018, 11:56 PM
My rule with ESPN is I will watch it until they get political, then I turn it off.

Tbh I don't watch a lot of TV minus the NFL on Sunday and Cardinals baseball on MLB.tv.

Nzoner
12-19-2018, 07:45 AM
NFL season only

Regularly-more often than not NFL Network

Regularly-I have 3 Sirius/XM channels I flip between, NFL radio,Vegas Sports Information Network and Fantasy Football channel.

Never

srvy
12-19-2018, 08:47 AM
I’ve found that quality is all I look for anymore. Don’t care much about big media much anymore unless I see some cool clips of guys like Shannon Sharpe primping Mahomes. Kinda funny that people get mad about guys like Cowherd or GMFB saying something against Mahomes (they can’t fellate him every goddamn time).

I really like listening to Grunhard though. I think he’s the best listen for Chiefs talk.

Grunny is great and doesnt pull many punches.

DJay23
12-19-2018, 11:22 AM
I listen to ESPN radio just because that's what's on during my commute.

Golic and Wingo is a neutered show that likes itself more than I would bet most people do.

LeBatard is pretty funny, but it' rare I listen to them when they are actually talking about sports.

Will Cain likes to be the contrarian and his radio ego is so big that it's pretty annoying to listen to him try to slither out of his awful takes.

Spain and Fitz are boring.

I really like the Simms and Lefkoe podcast on Bleacher Report. They are smart, funny, and uncensored.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-19-2018, 11:24 AM
The early ESPN slot has always been the Nickelback of sports radio.

The Franchise
12-19-2018, 11:30 AM
The only sports radio I've ever listened to was the NFL channel on Sirius XM. Once we got rid of all the talk stations....I stopped. Other than that....I don't listen to anything else sports related. It's all the same tired, rehashed bullshit anyways.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-19-2018, 11:32 AM
If you are considering the merits of a Nazi-esque eugenics and forced sterilization program, listen to Paul Finebaum's callers

Eleazar
12-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Other than Arrowhead Pride once in a blue moon, zero.

O.city
12-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Podcasts all the way.

Simms and Lefkoe is a must listen if you like the NFL. Middlekauf and Haberman and Middlekaufs 3 and out are good too.

Other than that, not a lot.

Dayze
12-19-2018, 12:13 PM
I wonder how the the local radio guys feel knowing their jobs and 'shows' are essentially the equivalent of CNBC being on in the background of a dentist's office.

just background noise.

the only one locally who i give a little leeway to is Petro. Though, his Stump The Chumps segments almost makes it a wash and puts him back at 0.

KChiefs1
12-19-2018, 12:24 PM
Simms & Lefkoe podcast
Locked On Chiefs podcast
The Terez Paylor Show podcast
Soren Petro podcasts
Dan Patrick
Rich Eisen
Keitzman interviews with Mahomes
The Ringer NFL Show podcast

Rasputin
12-19-2018, 12:25 PM
I like Papi on Highly Questionable probably my favorite sports media show

I also like Round The Horn and they get points or points taken away.

Those are the only two shows i look forward to watching on sports channels the rest i watch for highlights and mostly :rolleyes:

I miss the good ol days when they did the " HE GOT ~JACKED UP" segment.

Dayze
12-19-2018, 12:37 PM
man. I LOVED the Jacked Up segments.

don't worry. now we have "You Got Moss'd"

whatever the hell that is.
I think they're trying to make that work ; similar to how the chick in Mean Girls was trying to make "Fetch" a thing.

MahiMike
12-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Those that said "rarely" must be getting their total education right here...

...oh my.

Hoover
12-19-2018, 01:16 PM
I have a 65 inch flat screen in my office. So since I can’t stand to watch Cable news anymore I watch Dan Patrick and Colin Cowherd daily during football season. My real joy is watching March Madness or Day mlb games while “working”.

Buehler445
12-19-2018, 01:17 PM
If you are considering the merits of a Nazi-esque eugenics and forced sterilization program, listen to Paul Finebaum's callers

Thank fucking Christ that’s never on here. But they’d play clips as ads for the show and I couldn’t make it through a 30 second ad. :Lin:

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Thank fucking Christ that’s never on here. But they’d play clips as ads for the show and I couldn’t make it through a 30 second ad. :Lin:

It used to be on here since Mizzou is an SEC school, but I guess enough people complained that the local ESPN affiliate just runs the national guys instead.

SVP and Rusillo was a legitimately good radio show. The fact that they preempted them for that trash was unforgivable. However, I hate the South. If Mizzou makes it back to the SECCG and I can fit it into my schedule, I'm going down there dressed as Sherman.

Jerm
12-19-2018, 01:31 PM

PAWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLL~!!!!

bdj23
12-19-2018, 01:42 PM

ROLL DAHM TIDE!

Pablo
12-19-2018, 03:48 PM
ROLL DAHM TIDE!

Bama people and their fans are scum.

Bearcat
12-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Watched a lot of ESPN in high school and college, ~15-20 years ago. Started watching less and less, then I remember at one point in ~2009-2010, every show all day was about Tiger Woods, Michael Vick, and a 3rd drama that isn't coming to mind... that was the point where it had completely turned into garbage, and I've watched very little ESPN outside of live sports since then.

I used to listen to sports radio, only because my dad did, when I was in high school... nothing since.

I've never listened to podcasts... haven't ever really considered it. :shrug:

These days, I'll tune in if one of my teams is in a huge game, but even then I don't really get much from it.... after hearing the stories for years, gone through so many seasons, offseasons, so much speculation, etc... I just want to watch the games.

The only exception in many years is the 2014 & 2015 Royals, where I read/listened/watched all sorts of stories about the players and soaked up a lot of media love. Mahomes would probably be an exception if I lived in KC, but not really wanting to watch national stuff just for the bits about him at this point... but, I'm sure it'll happen more often as we see playoff results.

rabblerouser
12-19-2018, 09:20 PM
I get most of my news from CP.

Not even joking.

rabblerouser
12-19-2018, 09:21 PM

That's my future ex-wife.

Buehler445
12-19-2018, 09:56 PM
It used to be on here since Mizzou is an SEC school, but I guess enough people complained that the local ESPN affiliate just runs the national guys instead.

SVP and Rusillo was a legitimately good radio show. The fact that they preempted them for that trash was unforgivable. However, I hate the South. If Mizzou makes it back to the SECCG and I can fit it into my schedule, I'm going down there dressed as Sherman.

ROFL

Yeah, SVP and Russillo was really good. And even Russillos stuff after. But, like everything else, all ESPN radio is a giant gimmick or hot take. It's all unlistenable.

Predarat
12-20-2018, 02:40 PM
I'm a Sports Talk Radio Junkie, listen to it most days, sometimes many hours. Helps me get through drive time and the work day. Both Local and National.

Predarat
12-20-2018, 02:41 PM
That's my future ex-wife.

Better get a prenup, looks the exact type to hire a nasty lawyer to clean you dry.

hometeam
12-20-2018, 08:05 PM
I listen to ESPN every morning and night on my commute. Its actually the only radio I listen too. If its not that its spotify.

RJ
12-20-2018, 08:11 PM
I read sports news a lot more than I watch or listen.