PDA

View Full Version : Electronics DLP TVs

GloryDayz
12-18-2018, 07:16 PM
We're trying-out the neighbors Samsung DLP TV as he's renovating his basement. I know DLP isn't exactly the most sought after TV these days, but I wonder if people can answer some questions:

1) Will a new lamp really make it brighter? It seems much darker than the TV we're replacing (that's rather screen-burned now).

2) If it get brighter, will the viewing angle get any better?

It seems like a pretty sweet set, $50 seems like a steal, but it seems like I may need to at least put a new $90 lamp in it to make it really worth it.

Opinions?

chinaski
12-18-2018, 07:29 PM
So you are looking at an investment of around $140-$150 which "could" be a crapshoot. I'm no electronics junky, but I'd be reluctant to dump money into dated electronics when you consider the prices of TV's are so low these days.

Now if you are buying it for $50 bucks and can live with it as is, that's a different story.

I bought a TCL '55 Roku TV off of Amazon about 6 months ago for $400 or so and I am extremely pleased with it. Picture and sound quality are better than the 40 inch Panasonic it replaced.

This model if you are curious, it's even cheaper now:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MTGM5I9/ref=sr_1_8?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1545182892&sr=1-8&keywords=roku+tv

chinaski
12-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Also, have you messed with any of the Contrast settings on the TV? It could be something simple like that?

GloryDayz
12-18-2018, 07:45 PM
So you are looking at an investment of around $140-$150 which "could" be a crapshoot. I'm no electronics junky, but I'd be reluctant to dump money into dated electronics when you consider the prices of TV's are so low these days.

Now if you are buying it for $50 bucks and can live with it as is, that's a different story.

I bought a TCL '55 Roku TV off of Amazon about 6 months ago for $400 or so and I am extremely pleased with it. Picture and sound quality are better than the 40 inch Panasonic it replaced.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MTGM5I9/ref=sr_1_8?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1545182892&sr=1-8&keywords=roku+tv

He's got a lamp on order (evidently the correct one this time), the wife just filled me on that piece of previously unknown information, so I'm hoping that fixes the brightness deal.

When it's all said and done, he's a neighbor so he's not trying to jack with me, and the plan now is if the lamp works to use it for a while and then let it migrate to the sons house when he graduates college. And since the ladies made the deal, didn't do any of the moving across the yards, I think us guys will seal the deal with some venison. He like venison, we have plenty, so it seems fair!

I'm still rather unimpressed with the low viewing angle of DLP. I'll gladly go back to plasma!

GloryDayz
12-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Also, have you messed with any of the Contrast settings on the TV? It could be something simple like that?

Not too much, been crazy days at work and hockey, but what little I did didn't make too much of a difference.

I think the lamp will be the go/no-go deal for me.

chinaski
12-18-2018, 07:50 PM
He's got a lamp on order (evidently the correct one this time), the wife just filled me on that piece of previously unknown information, so I'm hoping that fixes the brightness deal.

When it's all said and done, he's a neighbor so he's not trying to jack with me, and the plan now is if the lamp works to use it for a while and then let it migrate to the sons house when he graduates college. And since the ladies made the deal, didn't do any of the moving across the yards, I think us guys will seal the deal with some venison. He like venison, we have plenty, so it seems fair!

I'm still rather unimpressed with the low viewing angle of DLP. I'll gladly go back to plasma!

Well in that case, it sounds like a good deal. Consumer electronics aren't really my thing, and I certainly don't stay up on the current technology. I like venison! :D

threebag
12-18-2018, 07:53 PM
i would rather read a TLO thread than watch DLP

threebag
12-18-2018, 08:00 PM
I see DLP going cheap all the time on the local market pages

I have always been a Hard Pass for DLP

GloryDayz
12-18-2018, 08:08 PM
I see DLP going cheap all the time on the local market pages

I have always been a Hard Pass for DLP

Meh, for some venison steaks (that he didn't get), I think my older son might be willing to toy with it for a few years.

threebag
12-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Yeah monies are right unless it’s backstrap

GloryDayz
12-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Yeah monies are right unless it’s backstrap

Yeah, we don't miss none of that! Oddly, the neighbor LOVES deer heart. I have two. One for me, and maybe one for a TV! Ha!

Skyy God
12-18-2018, 08:20 PM
You should buy it.

Great investment!!

RedRaider56
12-18-2018, 08:34 PM
I owned 2 DLP TVs as I was an early adopter on the 1080i/p bandwagon.
New lamp should help with the brightness.
You'll probably see a marginal improvement on the side angle brightness as that was never a strength of DLP.
One thing to look for after the new bulb is installed, is dead pixels on the screen. Occasionally on the DLP chip in the TV, a pixel will die or stay a certain color. If it has a one of these, you'll probably see a number of other failures in a short amount of time.
If it ever dies and needs more than a bulb, replace it with a new LED setup

srvy
12-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Make sure everyone views it a while rainbow effect and flicker gets to some people with dlp causing motion sickness. Its mostly on large dlp TVs and especially projectors. I had a 73in Mitsubishi dlp tv that I was the only one who could watch. Son daughter and wife would get sick needing dramamine to finish a movie. I thought it was a unique feature I miss to this day.

GloryDayz
12-18-2018, 08:51 PM
Make sure everyone views it a while rainbow effect and flicker gets to some people with dlp causing motion sickness. Its mostly on large dlp TVs and especially projectors. I had a 73in Mitsubishi dlp tv that I was the only one who could watch. Son daughter and wife would get sick needing dramamine to finish a movie. I thought it was a unique feature I miss to this day.

67", and you might have found the ultimate Dad feature...

Oxford
12-18-2018, 09:29 PM
I have a 65" Toshiba DLP. In its day the only way to get a large screen without dropping $4000 on a plasma screen. Yes a bulb will help the brightness, but also check the picture preferences. Some sets have presets that reduce brightness/contrast to increase bulb life so check those closely. Will never be as bright as current LED sets but if the price is right can you complain?

Had a light engine go out at 4 years old so that will give you the "starry, starry night" look, and yes the off angle viewing is not as good as LED.

BWillie
12-18-2018, 11:28 PM
Used to love my DLP TV. You can get a huge TV for a great price, but the price of LED and OLED displays have just dipped so much.

DLP's are great for a basement where there isn't natural sunlight that can get in. I used to have a 70'' Mitsubishi DLP and changed the bulp and it didn't skip a beat.

Ever since hanging my LED TV I don't think I could ever go back though.

GloryDayz
12-19-2018, 12:04 AM
Used to love my DLP TV. You can get a huge TV for a great price, but the price of LED and OLED displays have just dipped so much.

DLP's are great for a basement where there isn't natural sunlight that can get in. I used to have a 70'' Mitsubishi DLP and changed the bulp and it didn't skip a beat.

Ever since hanging my LED TV I don't think I could ever go back though.Thanks.

Sent from my 9+ using Tapatalk

OmahaChief
12-19-2018, 10:45 AM
I still have a 75" Mitsubishi DLP in my basement as one of my TVs. The kids play video games on it and we have it on as one of the sets when I have multiple games on.

I have had to change the bulb once and it did help with brightness. As others have said not much will really help the viewing angle. For the money it is still the best TV I have had. I just cant seem to let it go as it still works, has no motion blur and is crisp and clear.

Frosty
12-19-2018, 10:57 AM

I just bought a 4K DLP projector. It has the RGBRGB wheel which is supposed to cut back on rainbows but I still see them. It mostly happens when there is a dark scene which a few bright spots in it. It isn't terrible, though, and I have never gotten motion sick from it.

Way back, I had a 800x600 DLP projector with the single RGB wheel and that thing was a rainbow fest. The weird thing is that no one else in my family has ever seen a rainbow on either projector. I guess I am just really susceptible to them.

bowener
12-19-2018, 11:11 AM
I just bought a 4K DLP projector. It has the RGBRGB wheel which is supposed to cut back on rainbows but I still see them. It mostly happens when there is a dark scene which a few bright spots in it. It isn't terrible, though, and I have never gotten motion sick from it.

Way back, I had a 800x600 DLP projector with the single RGB wheel and that thing was a rainbow fest. The weird thing is that no one else in my family has ever seen a rainbow on either projector. I guess I am just really susceptible to them.

It means you're gay... NTTAWWT

TambaBerry
12-19-2018, 11:19 AM
if you or anyone in your house plays video games have fun. These suck with those

Vegas_Dave
12-19-2018, 11:31 AM
We're trying-out the neighbors Samsung DLP TV as he's renovating his basement. I know DLP isn't exactly the most sought after TV these days, but I wonder if people can answer some questions:

1) Will a new lamp really make it brighter? It seems much darker than the TV we're replacing (that's rather screen-burned now).

It seems like a pretty sweet set, $50 seems like a steal, but it seems like I may need to at least put a new $90 lamp in it to make it really worth it.

Opinions?

I had a DLP many years ago. They were a good offering at the time but suck comparatively today. Heck, I just bought a TCL 4k 55" from Target for $300 (using a 20% discount code we had from Black Friday shopping).

As to your question, yes, replacing the lamp will make the picture MUCH better. I had to do that on the Samsung DLP that I had. Night and Day difference... but still a waste of money in my opinion.

Old TV's are no longer worth repairing. The cheapest LCD is superior.

I actually LIKE the cheap LCD's these days as they don't throw in the "smoothing" effects (which makes everything look like it was filmed as a Soap Opera).

Valiant
12-19-2018, 02:08 PM
If you are cash strapped I would say good deal. We replace our bulb once every 2 years. Always darker than the flat panel tech TVs.

I would say check out Costco or wait til Superbowl week for a TV.

GloryDayz
12-19-2018, 10:19 PM
if you or anyone in your house plays video games have fun. These suck with those

Nope, one Xbox in the house, it's on a different TV. :thumb:

GloryDayz
12-19-2018, 10:25 PM
I had a DLP many years ago. They were a good offering at the time but suck comparatively today. Heck, I just bought a TCL 4k 55" from Target for $300 (using a 20% discount code we had from Black Friday shopping).

As to your question, yes, replacing the lamp will make the picture MUCH better. I had to do that on the Samsung DLP that I had. Night and Day difference... but still a waste of money in my opinion.

Old TV's are no longer worth repairing. The cheapest LCD is superior.

I actually LIKE the cheap LCD's these days as they don't throw in the "smoothing" effects (which makes everything look like it was filmed as a Soap Opera).

Well the lamp is going to be free, I think I can manage the swap. And the price, now, is one deer heart, a couple pint bags of ground, and the meaty end of a deer shoulder. IOW, he's giving it to me. I held my ground on the backstrap, but when I make them I'm sure he'll be over here asking for a cup of milk. It's code 'round here for, "that smells good, I'd like some." LMAO

GloryDayz
12-19-2018, 10:29 PM
If you are cash strapped I would say good deal. We replace our bulb once every 2 years. Always darker than the flat panel tech TVs.

I would say check out Costco or wait til Superbowl week for a TV.

Not strapped, but why spend the ~$700 if I can get this one for free? I'll be happy if the bulb makes it bright, the angle thing will suck, but it's bigger and sharper than the unit it's replacing.

GloryDayz
12-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all the input folks, it's much appreciated. I'm looking forward to seeing what the bulb does.

lawrenceRaider
12-20-2018, 07:49 AM

If you are going with a 55" TCL, spend the extra $150 and get the 617 model instead. Hell of a lot better TV. I have on as our "extra" tv and the picture is frankly extraordinary for what we paid for it.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55R617-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B079N9HDNQ/

GloryDayz
01-25-2019, 06:05 PM
Welp, I just put the new $40 lamp in it and WOW!!!! :clap:

LOL, WOW, it's like night and day...

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

Angry fan
01-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Plasma uber alles!

No I didn't read this thread. :)

HonestChieffan
01-25-2019, 10:14 PM
look into a Magnavox cabinet model with a clicker remote. Save u a Buck three fiddy and you can get some Teevee

Hoover
01-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Just buy a cheap ass TCL tv.

GloryDayz
01-25-2019, 11:27 PM
I think I'll stick with this puppy and get my $39.99 worth out of the lamp...

Cosmos
01-25-2019, 11:35 PM

Opinions?

You’re a cheap ass...?

Big sales on TV thru next weekend.

Check out Best Buy for a cheap LED set.

GloryDayz
01-25-2019, 11:43 PM
You’re a cheap ass...?

Big sales on TV thru next weekend.

Check out Best Buy for a cheap LED set.

When it comes to TVs, yeah, I'm cheap..

Angry fan
01-26-2019, 01:07 AM

Don't listen to them. Go with your 39.99 plan until OLED's are affordable. or if you can find a cheap good brand/model plasma, go that route too! Happy TV'ing!

Skyy God
01-26-2019, 08:03 AM

If you’re getting a free, 12+ year old DLP and installing a bulb, it suggests you might be cheap in other areas as well.

No real criticism, mind you, just own it.

GloryDayz
01-26-2019, 11:11 AM
If you’re getting a free, 12+ year old DLP and installing a bulb, it suggests you might be cheap in other areas as well.

No real criticism, mind you, just own it.

I'm very "thrifty", is that wrong?

Skyy God
01-26-2019, 05:13 PM
I'm very "thrifty", is that wrong?

Nope.

GloryDayz
01-26-2019, 07:30 PM
Nope.

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ