PDA

View Full Version : Life Ten Things About Christmas Day

gblowfish
12-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Ten Things About Christmas Day, 2018:

Ten Things About a Blowfish Christmas

10. The lovely and talented Mrs. Blowfish is an unsinkable Molly Brown Character. For 25 years she’s written and directed Children’s Christmas Plays in Lexington, MO. We usually see about 100 or more kids and give them all candy and many win toys or books or other goodies in a drawing. For a lot of those kids who come from poor families, its perhaps one of the few things they’ll receive during Christmas. It always chokes me up, and I love my wife for making it happen. Our Christmas Tree is part of the set, so that's the only day during the year I get to see it in full bloom. Two Shows, then back in the box!

9. I’ve been married for 24 years to Mrs. B, and I’ve had to compromise a lot like in most marriages. I’m of German heritage, so I love neatness, cleanliness and order. My wife is a retired art teacher, and is a creative whirlwind and pack rat. My house is filled with everything from polar bear costumes, to Santa Suits, to Elf Ears, to rolls and rolls and rolls of wrapping paper. She leaves a cyclone of clutter in her wake. But all of what she does is for others, to make their Christmas better. So I live with the clutter because life is usually messy, and creative people are usually messy.

8. Every Christmas morning the Blowfish kitties get canned tuna for breakfast. This morning it was Bumble Bee Tuna. I also put some fresh catnip down on Meesh Meesh’s cat scratcher, so he’s full and stoned already. I’m sure a lot of you CPers did the Wake and Bake this AM too, am I right?

7. I always run out of something getting ready for Christmas. This year it was D Batteries. I have every other battery known to man in the house, but of course, the one thing that got opened that needed batteries required the one size I did not have. Curses, foiled again.

6. I bought one of those big boxes of multiple rolls of scotch tape. I have no idea where they all went. I think Mrs. B. blew through all of it doing the wrapping. I’m a notoriously bad wrapper because my sister used to wrap all my stuff for me when I was young, and she’s great at it. Me? I wrap everything like fish in newspaper. Goes to show you, Eminem is the only white guy who can wrap decently.

5. Seems like every year I get condolences on how the Chiefs are doing. This year, no different. All my friends and relatives who aren’t that into football have been going “Oh, your Chiefs aren’t doing so well… what the problem?” I usually just gruffly say ‘Defense…..grrrrrr…Defense.” I would point them to the CP for more details, but we have poop threads. Most of them would not appreciate on understand poop threads. Personally, they make me smile.

4. My mom passed back in May. This is the first year I’m without both my parents at Christmas. I’ve been very lucky. I’ve known three of my four great grand parents, all my grandparents, and got my love of the Chiefs - and the front row seats- from my mom and dad. They have a brick in the Founders Plaza by the Lamar Hunt Statue. So their spirit is with me every time I step into Arrowhead.

3. This morning I made coffee and turned on the radio in the kitchen. The first song I heard was “Happy Christmas/War is Over” by John Lennon. It made me smile, because I love the Beatles, and I always cringe when Yoko kicks in. WTF was John thinking???

2. I have a friend who’s wife has been battling bone cancer for three years. She’s not doing well and has been in and out of KU med for most of the last year. She made it to Christmas, and their family is in my thoughts today. How fortunate most of us are to have health and family, and for today our troubles will be out of sight. Say a prayer for those who are sick and fighting for their health to return. Good health is indeed a gift from the Big Guy.

1. I get much enjoyment from the CP over the course of the year. The off season gets a little moronic sometimes. But we all get to talk about the upcoming draft, free agency, training camp, final cutdown, then either triumph or suffer each week as the year goes by. Some seasons have been dark like the Jovan Belcher season; some have been great, like this year so far. No matter what happens, we’ll all go through it together. So to all of you on the CP, thanks for sharing the ride with me, thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion about the Chiefs, and Merry Christmas to you and your family. God Bless Us Every One.

PS: Santa Please bring me a defense next year. Mine is broken.

BlackHelicopters
12-25-2018, 10:07 AM
I was raised in Lexington as my father taught at Wentworth. Well done!

Randallflagg
12-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Ten Things About Christmas Day, 2018:

Ten Things About a Blowfish Christmas

10. The lovely and talented Mrs. Blowfish is an unsinkable Molly Brown Character. For 25 years she’s written and directed Children’s Christmas Plays in Lexington, MO. We usually see about 100 or more kids and give them all candy and many win toys or books or other goodies in a drawing. For a lot of those kids who come from poor families, its perhaps one of the few things they’ll receive during Christmas. It always chokes me up, and I love my wife for making it happen. Our Christmas Tree is part of the set, so that's the only day during the year I get to see it in full bloom. Two Shows, then back in the box!

9. I’ve been married for 24 years to Mrs. B, and I’ve had to compromise a lot like in most marriages. I’m of German heritage, so I love neatness, cleanliness and order. My wife is a retired art teacher, and is a creative whirlwind and pack rat. My house is filled with everything from polar bear costumes, to Santa Suits, to Elf Ears, to rolls and rolls and rolls of wrapping paper. She leaves a cyclone of clutter in her wake. But all of what she does is for others, to make their Christmas better. So I live with the clutter because life is usually messy, and creative people are usually messy.

8. Every Christmas morning the Blowfish kitties get canned tuna for breakfast. This morning it was Bumble Bee Tuna. I also put some fresh catnip down on Meesh Meesh’s cat scratcher, so he’s full and stoned already. I’m sure a lot of you CPers did the Wake and Bake this AM too, am I right?

7. I always run out of something getting ready for Christmas. This year it was D Batteries. I have every other battery known to man in the house, but of course, the one thing that got opened that needed batteries required the one size I did not have. Curses, foiled again.

6. I bought one of those big boxes of multiple rolls of scotch tape. I have no idea where they all went. I think Mrs. B. blew threw all of it doing the wrapping. I’m a notoriously bad wrapper because my sister used to wrap all my stuff for me when I was young, and she’s great at it. Me? I wrap everything like fish in newspaper. Goes to show you, Eminem is the only white guy who can wrap decently.

5. Seems like every year I get condolences on how the Chiefs are doing. This year, no different. All my friends and relatives who aren’t that into football have been going “Oh, your Chiefs aren’t doing so well… what the problem?” I usually just gruffly say ‘Defense…..grrrrrr…Defense.” I would point them to the CP for more details, but we have poop threads. Most of them would not appreciate on understand poop threads. Personally, they make me smile.

4. My mom passed back in May. This is the first year I’m without both my parents at Christmas. I’ve been very lucky. I’ve known three of my four great grand parents, all my grandparents, and got my love of the Chiefs - and the front row seats- from my mom and dad. They have a brick in the Founders Plaza by the Lamar Hunt Statue. So their spirit is with me every time I step into Arrowhead.

3. This morning I made coffee and turned on the radio in the kitchen. The first song I heard was “Happy Christmas/War is Over” by John Lennon. It made me smile, because I love the Beatles, and I always cringe when Yoko kicks in. WTF was John thinking???

2. I have a friend who’s wife has been battling bone cancer for three years. She’s not doing well and has been in and out of KU med for most of the last year. She made it to Christmas, and their family is in my thoughts today. How fortunate most of us are to have health and family, and for today our troubles will be out of sight. Say a prayer for those who are sick and fighting for their health to return. Good health is indeed a gift from the Big Guy.

1. I get much enjoyment from the CP over the course of the year. The off season gets a little moronic sometimes. But we all get to talk about the upcoming draft, free agency, training camp, final cutdown, then either triumph or suffer each week as the year goes by. Some seasons have been dark like the Jovan Belcher season; some have been great, like this year so far. No matter what happens, we’ll all go through it together. So to all of you on the CP, thanks for sharing the ride with me, thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion about the Chiefs, and Merry Christmas to you and your family. God Bless Us Every One.

Great Post!

It nearly always amazes me how much alike we humans are..... Merry Christmas to all!!!

TwistedChief
12-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Great tribute, George. Enjoy your holiday.

gblowfish
12-25-2018, 10:10 AM
I was raised in Lexington as my father taught at Wentworth. Well done!

Small World. Many of my friends are Wentworth grads. I got married in the Catholic Church right next to the Wentworth campus. Jim Sellers is a good friend of mine. It was so sad to see the Academy close down. They have a Wentworth Museum on Main St. now between the library and Pat's Army/Navy Store.

oldman
12-25-2018, 10:13 AM
Well said, George. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

threebag
12-25-2018, 10:13 AM
Hope you have a Merry Christmas George.

Hair Peace
Bed Peace

OnTheWarpath15
12-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Merry Christmas, George! Here's hoping you get to see the Hunt Trophy presented to Clark on January 20th from your incredible seats.

kc rush
12-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Merry Christmas George

old_geezer
12-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Merry Christmas to you and Mrs. gblowfish. Keep up the great work (both of you) :toast:

Chief Northman
12-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Merry Christmas sir. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Easy 6
12-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Sounds like we have gift wrapping in common, my work in that area is a long running joke in my family... I'll wrap it, but dont be expecting some Martha Stewart job

bevischief
12-25-2018, 11:19 AM
No one this year. Its nice and quiet.

tx4chiefs
12-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Merry Christmas!!

siberian khatru
12-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Merry Christmas, George!

stevieray
12-25-2018, 11:38 AM
Behind every good man is an even better woman.

Merry Christmas to you and yours , my friend.

:toast:

L.A. Chieffan
12-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Merry Christmas George. May Santa bring us a 3rd Down stop once in a while.

TLO
12-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Merry Christmas

GloryDayz
12-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Great job George. I hope we meet one day so I can shake your hand.

Pointer19
12-25-2018, 12:11 PM
Merry Christmas, friend.

Ass Rockah
12-25-2018, 12:13 PM
11. The dude with the pink dreads got demoted to the practice squad

Rain Man
12-25-2018, 12:20 PM
I wish the happiest of holidays to all of you.

Hammock Parties
12-25-2018, 12:22 PM
Thanks George. I hope the Chiefs get you a playoff W this year. You deserve it more than any of us. No one else has been flipped off by a Chiefs HC.

Baby Lee
12-25-2018, 12:42 PM
May you derive appropriate spiritual benefit from this solstice interregnum.

Sandy Vagina
12-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Amazing 10 things; thanks for that.

I'm sorry for lashing out and misjudging you. The old Smith wars brought the worst out in all, I think, and almost all including me are happy that's in the rearview mirror.

Merry Xmas to you and yours, GB.. and to most of CP, really. Sorry about being a righteous twat, though I'll never own it 100%... cuz CP can be quite mean from the get. :p

https://media1.giphy.com/media/12a6i5J7ygIQve/giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c227da7674e304c5534b213

RickObie
12-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Merry Christmas and thanks for the 10 things - it’s actually the only thing I read on here religiously. Cheers to a great New Year.

Deberg_1990
12-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Merry Christmas George!

Spott
12-25-2018, 03:38 PM
I get # 5 on this list often, and I always have to bite my tongue. Looking back, maybe I should have let loose a couple of times.

Chiefs4TheWin
12-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Merry Christmas all!

NJChiefsFan
12-25-2018, 07:01 PM
1. Some seasons have been dark like the Jovan Belcher season; some have been great, like this year so far. No matter what happens, we’ll all go through it together. So to all of you on the CP, thanks for sharing the ride with me, thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion about the Chiefs, and Merry Christmas to you and your family. God Bless Us Every One.

^

RedRaider56
12-25-2018, 07:05 PM
I can relate to #9 in your post. Married 24 years and my wife is a teacher. She is into all sorts of crafting. I've come to learn that my house will never be neat and tidy...

NJChiefsFan
12-25-2018, 07:07 PM
I can relate to #9 in your post. Married 24 years and my wife is a teacher. She is into all sorts of crafting. I've come to learn that my house will never be neat and tidy...

Elementary school I'm guessing?

RedRaider56
12-25-2018, 07:10 PM
Elementary school I'm guessing?

middle school.. Special education team lead

NJChiefsFan
12-25-2018, 07:13 PM
middle school.. Special education team lead

Nice. Middle school myself. When I see crafty I think elementary.

Is she special ed resource room/in class support(just extra services. not sure what it's called outside of NJ) or like multiple disabilities special ed?

RedRaider56
12-25-2018, 07:22 PM
Nice. Middle school myself. When I see crafty I think elementary.

Is she special ed resource room/in class support(just extra services. not sure what it's called outside of NJ) or like multiple disabilities special ed?

Nice. I completely understood why you were thinking elementary level.

She teaches 8th grade English for SPED. Students have ranges of learning disabilities. I can't keep up with all the acronyms and all the stuff she and the resource teachers have to do.. It's crazy

Teachers are a special lot. Thank you for helping educate the children in your community.

NJChiefsFan
12-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Nice. I completely understood why you were thinking elementary level.

She teaches 8th grade English for SPED. Students have ranges of learning disabilities. I can't keep up with all the acronyms and all the stuff she and the resource teachers have to do.. It's crazy

Teachers are a special lot. Thank you for helping educate the children in your community.

Thanks. I teach 8th grade as well. Sounds like she was the former of what I was guessing. The acronyms are quite difficult to keep straight, you tell the truth there. 504s, IEPs. Those are the big special ed ones around here. Lots of red tape and less and less time to actually work on teaching and lessons.

Blick
12-25-2018, 07:46 PM
I relate to #4 a lot. I still have my parents though and hope to have them for a long time as I'm still relatively young. I was lucky to also know 3/4 of my great grandparents and both sets of grandparents. I got my love for Chiefs football from my family. My dad's dad had season tickets for a long time (not sure when they started) until he passed, and my dad has had season tickets for us since '93. My grandpa got us a brick in Founders Plaza as well. I like to go by and touch it before each game.

Merry Christmas. Hope the Chiefs do something different for us in the playoffs this year. We deserve it.

RedRaider56
12-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Thanks. I teach 8th grade as well. Sounds like she was the former of what I was guessing. The acronyms are quite difficult to keep straight, you tell the truth there. 504s, IEPs. Those are the big special ed ones around here. Lots of red tape and less and less time to actually work and teaching and lessons.

She deals with 504s, IEPs all the time...
And you're right, more time spent working on that stuff then on the lessons for class

GloryDayz
12-25-2018, 10:20 PM
She deals with 504s, IEPs all the time...
And you're right, more time spent working on that stuff then on the lessons for class

Let's not forget the time spent in PD...

https://media.giphy.com/media/F05ufkfZdySGs/giphy.gif

scho63
12-25-2018, 11:46 PM
What a beautiful and enjoyable post GB! :clap:

Merry Xmas again and thanks for the bonus Ten Things it made a great finish to a wonderful day. :grouphug:

NJChiefsFan
12-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Let's not forget the time spent in PD...

https://media.giphy.com/media/F05ufkfZdySGs/giphy.gif

At this point I'm happy if 15% of professional development days are useful. Our department has found a math guy that I really like and sees some of the new ways math should be going as I do. Considering he knows and is so much more experienced than I am I enjoy those PD days.

cabletech94
12-26-2018, 12:46 AM
merry christmas everyone. thanks chiefsplanet. you are one of my favorite rides.
god bless your wife, george. you are both treasures.

Marcellus
12-26-2018, 07:29 AM
Merry Christmas George!

MeaTy The Pimp
12-26-2018, 07:38 AM
I love reading "Ten Things" posts, even when they are not about football. Great post George.