PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Going Streaking into the playoffs: Myth vs. Reality

Best22
12-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Now that KC has lost 2 in a row, fans are (rightfully) questioning this team’s playoff readiness. The concerns are reasonable (defense, health, intensity, etc) but things are being overblown. Not only does every other AFC team objectively look like relative garbage, the belief that a team needs a winning streak entering the playoffs in order to go all the way is simply false.

Here are some Chiefs examples

1993: 2-2 finish. Went 2-1 in playoffs
1995: 3-1 finish. Went 0-1 in playoffs
1997: (Dominant) 4-0 finish. Went 0-1 in playoffs
2003: 2-2 finish. Went 0-1 in playoffs
2015: 4-0 finish. Went 1-1 in playoffs
2016: 3-1 finish. Went 0-1 in playoffs
2017: 4-0 finish. Went 0-1 in playoffs

Other Superbowl winners
1995 Cowboys: 2-2 finish.
1997 Broncos*: 2-2 finish.
2000 Ravens: 4-0 finish.
2007 Giants: 2-2 finish
2010 Packers: 2-2 finish
2011 Giants: 3-1 finish
2017 Eagles: (Ugly) 3-1 finish

It’s a myth. Teams win Superbowls because they play well in the playoffs and because they beat the rest of the conference “field” not because they went on a winning streak in December. KC could easily go 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, or (less easily) 3-0 . The AFC playoff field is that crazy

*Should be taken with grain of salt due to Bronco cheating

DaFace
12-25-2018, 12:56 PM
It does make me feel a bit better. My hope is just that Andy is sick of getting to the playoffs and having the team fall apart, and that's why we've had a lot of guys not playing lately who were "day to day." I'd love it if suddenly we get to the playoffs and the crazy creative playcalling returns. But we'll see.

Regardless, I still think we have as good of chances of at least getting to the Super Bowl as anyone in the AFC this year.

Coochie liquor
12-25-2018, 01:08 PM
It does make me feel a bit better. My hope is just that Andy is sick of getting to the playoffs and having the team fall apart, and that's why we've had a lot of guys not playing lately who were "day to day." I'd love it if suddenly we get to the playoffs and the crazy creative playcalling returns. But we'll see.

Regardless, I still think we have as good of chances of at least getting to the Super Bowl as anyone in the AFC this year.

This is how I feel too. Hoping he unloads in the playoffs. Like when we jumped out to the big lead at Indy. He def seems to amp up his play calling in the playoffs. Just every time circumstances start happening within the game, and then we start to see if slip away. I think Pat can change that. Hopefully we get pretty healthy and can take advantage of it for once.

RunKC
12-25-2018, 01:12 PM

I agree. It would still be great to beat the shit out of the Raiders to boost morale.

BlackHelicopters
12-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Andy doesn’t keep his foot on the gas enough for me.
Nor has he ever had a PMII.

FloridaMan88
12-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Not worried about morale/momentum... worried about the X’s/O’s and execution of a shitfest defense.

chiefzilla1501
12-25-2018, 01:21 PM
So what are the adjustments? Few things we need to solve and id be curious to hear the answer....
How do we beat two deep? Running is effective enough but seems to destroy our identity

Does it make sense to play more no huddle in the playoffs? If our D can't stop anybody I don't see much advantage to pacing.

Do we sell out to stop the run? If other offenses score all over us anyway... I'd rather they score quickly. Seems to take our offense out of rhythm when they stay off the field too long.

Deberg_1990
12-25-2018, 01:25 PM
The one team I keep on thinking of is the 2006 Colts. They had an awful defense most of the year and were awful heading into the playoffs. Then the playoffs started and the ‘manned up’ and played solid D against all their opponents and won the title.

Maybe we can do the same. Who knows?

Best22
12-25-2018, 01:35 PM
So what are the adjustments? Few things we need to solve and id be curious to hear the answer....
How do we beat two deep? Running is effective enough but seems to destroy our identity

Does it make sense to play more no huddle in the playoffs? If our D can't stop anybody I don't see much advantage to pacing.

Do we sell out to stop the run? If other offenses score all over us anyway... I'd rather they score quickly. Seems to take our offense out of rhythm when they stay off the field too long.

I’d love to see more hurry up but I don’t see it happening

Our offense is fine. We aren’t playing at Seattle in round 1 of the playoffs. I think Kc fans don’t even realize how good this offense is.

The key will be getting Watkins, Fuller, Ware, and Erving healthy. If teams dare us to throw KC has 2 talented backs (Ware and Williams).

The other key is not being as soft against the run (holds breath) and getting consistent pass rush.

Chief Pagan
12-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Andy doesn’t keep his foot on the gas enough for me.
Nor has he ever had a PMII.

He needs to stay aggressive and trust PM.

If we get the ball with a small lead and only minutes left in the game don't go conservative and put the D back on the field.

I would love to see him pass it on first down in that situation.

chiefzilla1501
12-25-2018, 01:37 PM
I’d love to see more hurry up but I don’t see it happening

Our offense is fine. We aren’t playing at Seattle in round 1 of the playoffs. I think Kc fans don’t even realize how good this offense is.

The key will be getting Watkins, Fuller, Ware, and Erving healthy. If teams dare us to throw KC has 2 talented backs (Ware and Williams).

The other key is not being as soft against the run (holds breath) and getting consistent pass rush.

The offense is fine. If we have an even average defense.

Deberg_1990
12-25-2018, 01:37 PM
2004 Eagles lost their last two games of the regular season. My guess is they already had everything wrapped up though?

Best22
12-25-2018, 01:43 PM
2004 Eagles lost their last two games of the regular season. My guess is they already had everything wrapped up though?

Yes

Most of the teams on this list weren’t resting players

MahiMike
12-25-2018, 01:48 PM
You have to hand it to Andy to try and play 2 new guys before the playoffs start. At least he's trying something on defense.

GloryDayz
12-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Sunday will be a test of Andy's relative resolve. I hope he's had the wake-up calls to end all wake-up calls, quits worrying about being political to anybody, and let's them know that winning is everything.

I was wrong about last week's loss putting us out of HFA "for sure", but I'm not this week. And the folks on the D need to be reminded that they can play against Os that might beat them in loud of Arrowhead, but will bludgeon them in their home stadiums. So it's up to them where they spend the playoffs, home or away, so don't rest against the Raiders, and they are going to pound the rock endlessly.

stumppy
12-25-2018, 01:57 PM
Read the first two words in thread title and had a flashback to a certain college campus back in the 70's. ROFL

BlackHelicopters
12-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Evidently momentum means dick.

Red Dawg
12-25-2018, 02:00 PM
The this team plays we can't lay off when we have a lead. That means no prevent defense unless the clock is impossibel to overcome for our opponent. Play offense the same all game no matter the score. We lost to LAC partly becauee we went prevent at 8 minutes. Thats plain old stupid.

chiefzilla1501
12-25-2018, 02:12 PM
The this team plays we can't lay off when we have a lead. That means no prevent defense unless the clock is impossibel to overcome for our opponent. Play offense the same all game no matter the score. We lost to LAC partly becauee we went prevent at 8 minutes. Thats plain old stupid.

This, a million times over

RINGLEADER
12-25-2018, 02:18 PM

All true.

As I noted on another thread we already have the 1 seed locked up if we can just hold opponents in those losses to 30 points. So we clearly have a great shot even with the defense playing like crap.

Also as (correctly) noted by another poster on that other thread — if we win Sunday all the frustrating losses this season mean nothing.

RINGLEADER
12-25-2018, 02:19 PM

Well said. And true.

Naptown Chief
12-25-2018, 02:36 PM
You have to hand it to Andy to try and play 2 new guys before the playoffs start. At least he's trying something on defense.

I felt it was an awesome decision... whether it was to see what he had in the rookies, who played much better than they were given credit for (by a lot of CPers), or to send a message to Scandrick and Parker. Hopefully the two losses lights a fire under the D. If they can play solid for just 2 games AT HOME (assuming we beat the faid) we're in the Superbowl. Regular season be damned.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-25-2018, 02:45 PM
I've been thinking for a long time now that we are just putting on a charade on defense. We're really good and don't want to let the cat outta the bag.

Best22
01-13-2019, 09:46 AM
But I thought we had no chance in the playoffs...