PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Larry Johnson blasts notion that Arrowhead Stadium is a playoff jinx

Hammock Parties
12-28-2018, 01:19 AM
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article223624380.html

Bless you, Larry.

The No Punt Game. The Forward Progress Game. The Lin Elliott Game.

Like episodes in a sad television series, Chiefs fans have named each of the team’s home playoff losses from the last two decades.

Arrowhead Stadium may be the loudest place in the world, but the Chiefs have lost six consecutive playoff games at home. The last win came on Jan. 8, 1994.

That’s why Kyle Brandt of “Good Morning Football” on the NFL Network called Arrowhead a joke.

“People are laughing at Arrowhead Stadium right now,” Brandt said. “Barbecue this and tailgate that, every January they show up and lose, and I don’t like it. I want to see them do something about it. I want them to be home, I want them to get the demons out...”

Brandt was talking about how important it was for the Chiefs to get home-field advantage in the playoffs, but he certainly didn’t have good things to say about Arrowhead.

And that didn’t sit well with former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson. He was tagged on a tweet that included the clip of Brandt, and Johnson didn’t mince words in response.

Johnson tweeted: “One has nothing to do with the other. I have never seen LOT D be blamed for losing playoff games. The blame lies within the organization, coaches and players. ARROWHEAD sets the tone! PLAYERS! HAVE TO ANSWER!”

Here is that tweet, which includes Brandt’s comments:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Before I say shut your dumb ass up. One has nothing to do with the other. I have never seen LOT D be blamed for losing playoff games. The blame lies within the organization, coaches and players. ARROWHEAD sets the tone! PLAYERS! HAVE TO ANSWER!📞 <a href="https://t.co/Xyi6aWv5Bc">pic.twitter.com/Xyi6aWv5Bc</a></p>&mdash; Larry Johnson (@2LarryJohnson7) <a href="https://twitter.com/2LarryJohnson7/status/1078287617899286528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A fan asked Johnson is the fan noise really made a difference for players and he wrote: “’Energy can neither be created or destroyed; energy can only be transferred or changed from one party to another.’ - To answer your question YES.”

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“Energy can neither be created or destroyed; energy can only be transferred or changed from one party to another.” - To answer your question YES. <br><br>What else would explain this: <a href="https://t.co/Atkx2oBJpl">pic.twitter.com/Atkx2oBJpl</a></p>&mdash; Larry Johnson (@2LarryJohnson7) <a href="https://twitter.com/2LarryJohnson7/status/1078291878649516032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TinyEvel
12-28-2018, 01:27 AM
Larry paid a penalty for waving that flag, good thing he's getting some use out of it.

Mephistopheles Janx
12-28-2018, 01:28 AM
I'm glad he is trying to be a decent human and all but I wish he would stop riding the coattails of the Chiefs recent success to re-gain exposure.

He is easily one of my least favorite Chiefs of all time.

NJChiefsFan
12-28-2018, 01:51 AM
I'm glad he is trying to be a decent human and all but I wish he would stop riding the coattails of the Chiefs recent success to re-gain exposure.

He is easily one of my least favorite Chiefs of all time.

I'm gonna disagree. Larry is actually growing on me here. He keeps coming up with lucid trains of thought, thoughts I tend to agree with. On top of that they seem to have loyalty to the Chiefs organization and especially the fans.

Demonpenz
12-28-2018, 01:57 AM
I always liked him. He just was an asshole. When he was running hard that was something to watch

chiefforlife
12-28-2018, 02:00 AM
Loved how Larry ran back in the day. Now a days I seem to enjoy hearing him talk.
Glad to see Larry became a good dude.

Chiefs4TheWin
12-28-2018, 02:03 AM
I appreciate Larry being a Chiefs homer commentator, but at the same time I don't.

Edit: he's our age. He knocked my friend out cold in high school on a punt return bahaha.

DTVietnam
12-28-2018, 03:54 AM
he was a beast. . .

big nasty kcnut
12-28-2018, 04:01 AM
Fuck him! I'm not sorry if he didn't wear the diper for so long and then play one meaningful season to get a contract then burn out i will not sing his praises. Cakn panta freak of fucking nature.

DTVietnam
12-28-2018, 04:59 AM
http://freegifmaker.me/img/res/1/5/4/5/9/9/1545994766112512.gif?1545994772

RN47
12-28-2018, 06:56 AM
There was a two year period when that man ran with hate in his heart. And we loved it.

Warpaint69
12-28-2018, 07:04 AM
Larry is right though, it’s not the stadium. The playoff woes of the franchise falls at the feet of the front office, coaching, and the players.

smithandrew051
12-28-2018, 07:23 AM
Larry is right though, it’s not the stadium. The playoff woes of the franchise falls at the feet of the front office, coaching, and the players.

And most specifically, the organization’s constant decision to never draft and build around a QB.

GloryDayz
12-28-2018, 07:27 AM
As usual, Larry is right. The only Chiefs player that I know of to be purposely held back to ensure he didn't beast into the franchise's record books, after being sat for far too long on the front end of his career by another unbalanced (in terms of O and D) Chiefs coach. Yet Larry's still being the bigger and better person. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181228/917732967218b2978fdf8344e610a81f.jpg

Sent from my 9+ using Tapatalk

Reerun_KC
12-28-2018, 07:37 AM
It’s called “the curse of Marty”.

WhawhaWhat
12-28-2018, 07:42 AM
As usual, Larry is right. The only Chiefs player that I know if to be purposely held back to ensure he didn't beast into the franchise's record books, after being sat for far too long on the front end of his career by another unbalanced (in terms of O and D) Chiefs coach. Yet Larry's still being the bigger and better person.

Not to mention Herm absolutely running him into the ground in 2006. LJ had 400+ carries that years, by far the most and 70 more carries than the guy in 2nd.

Chiefnj2
12-28-2018, 08:25 AM
A disliked former player rides on the coattails of recent success and now people start to like him.

Titty Meat
12-28-2018, 08:26 AM
Hes trying to hard

JoeyChuckles
12-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Larry has more coherent thoughts than 95% of people on this site.

Can we get him to come here?

JoeyChuckles
12-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Hes trying to hard

Exhibit A

Jimkcchief88
12-28-2018, 08:58 AM
The Centaur speaketh

Gravedigger
12-28-2018, 09:31 AM
I delivered pizzas to Larry during my time as a Papa John's delivery driver. He always tipped in singles.

ptlyon
12-28-2018, 09:39 AM
I delivered pizzas to Larry during my time as a Papa John's delivery driver. He always tipped in singles.

Did he order the garlic sauce and pepperchinis?

Halfcan
12-28-2018, 09:40 AM
I don't know or care who Kyle Brandt is- but he sounds like a real dick.

Yeah, dumbass, it is the Loudest fans in the NFL that are the problem. Wow, what a stupid football take. How do these idiots get air time, being that fucking stupid?

Probably thinks Brees is MVP too. Fucking idiot!

redfan
12-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Subtlety has never been LJ's style, and this is an accurate take by him.

Sure, LJ was an asshole when he was here, 752 carries in 2 seasons will make a man mean.

Rain Man
12-28-2018, 10:13 AM

He ordered from Papa John's? That was a dead giveaway that he was going to desert us for the Broncos.

Does Papa John's still exist? I haven't ordered from them since Peyton Manning advertised for them in the 2016 Peyton Manning Farewell Exhibition Game Bowl.

FAX
12-28-2018, 10:22 AM

Yeah, dumbass, it is the Loudest fans in the NFL that are the problem. Wow, what a stupid football take. How do these idiots get air time, being that ****ing stupid?

Probably thinks Brees is MVP too. ****ing idiot!

He doesn't like the Chiefs for some reason.

I would normally chalk up his anti-Chiefs rhetoric as made-for-tv antagonism and contrariousness, but in his case, I think it's a sincere dislike for the franchise. The source of his hatred remains a mystery.

FAX

Rain Man
12-28-2018, 10:33 AM
He doesn't like the Chiefs for some reason.

I would normally chalk up his anti-Chiefs rhetoric as made-for-tv antagonism and contrariousness, but in his case, I think it's a sincere dislike for the franchise. The source of his hatred remains a mystery.

FAX

Is this someone related to Gil Brandt who got his job due to family name and connections rather than merit? If so, I'm not really concerned with what he thinks. Maybe his dad didn't like the Chiefs because they were better than the Cowboys when they were back in Dallas.

RunKC
12-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Kyle Brandt is 100% right and we all know it. We’ve won 2 playoff games there in about 50 years and have about what, 6 collapses at Arrowhead?

The “Arrowhead advantage” is a myth until we actually start winning there in January.

Frazod
12-28-2018, 10:40 AM

Yeah, dumbass, it is the Loudest fans in the NFL that are the problem. Wow, what a stupid football take. How do these idiots get air time, being that fucking stupid?

Probably thinks Brees is MVP too. Fucking idiot!

I think one thing people fail to take into account is that during the playoffs, many of the usual rank and file Chief fans get pushed out by the money crowd.

Granted, I've never been to a playoff game at Arrowhead (thank God - watching them on TV for the past 20+ years has been painful enough), but I'd wager the crowd isn't nearly as boisterous as it is during a regular season game.

TLO
12-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Why does Larry Johnson pop up in the news every few months with a Chiefs take?

Frazod
12-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Why does Larry Johnson pop up in the news every few months with a Chiefs take?

I'd certainly rather hear from him than Bronco Neil.

TLO
12-28-2018, 10:47 AM
We now go live to former Chief LB Lew Bush with his take on the Arrowhead crowd.

"IT'S LOUD"

Thanks, Lew. Coming up... Is skateboarding turning your son gay? The new research in tonight may shock you!

crayzkirk
12-28-2018, 10:48 AM
I was listening to an interview with Chucky this morning about the 1999 playoff loss to the Raiders where they knocked the Chiefs out of the playoffs. He basically said that the Raiders were down 17 points early and when the Raiders scored to make it 17-7, the crowd got quiet. When they scored again, the crowd got really quiet.

I believe that we make our own luck by being at the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time however, the nervousness of the crowd has to have some effect on the coach and players. The thought of "oh no, here we go again" isn't going to help them concentrate on the task at hand.

The narrative has been that the Chiefs lack of playoff success was because they were playing a team with a superior QB or untimely bad call.

Halfcan
12-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Kyle Brandt is 100% right and we all know it. We’ve won 2 playoff games there in about 50 years and have about what, 6 collapses at Arrowhead?

The “Arrowhead advantage” is a myth until we actually start winning there in January.

He is 100% wrong blaming the fans and the stadium. I have been at most of the Playoff losses and it is Not on the crowd.

1. It is not the fans fault the Chiefs have trotted out average at best Qb's against HOFers like Manning and Elway. I was also at the last playoff win when we had Montana- and the noise was deafening. Arrowhead is always electric.

2. It is not the fans fault that the Chiefs trot out shitty defenses. We stand up and scream our lungs out every 3rd down only to watch shitty CB's fail to cover or QB's completing passes to themselves.

So this year we have fixed the first issue that caused many playoff losses- let's hope the defense doesn't collapse again in epic fashion. Either way, the Loudest Fans in the NFL will be doing their part, rain, sleet or snow.

Halfcan
12-28-2018, 10:55 AM
I was listening to an interview with Chucky this morning about the 1999 playoff loss to the Raiders where they knocked the Chiefs out of the playoffs. He basically said that the Raiders were down 17 points early and when the Raiders scored to make it 17-7, the crowd got quiet. When they scored again, the crowd got really quiet.

I believe that we make our own luck by being at the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time however, the nervousness of the crowd has to have some effect on the coach and players. The thought of "oh no, here we go again" isn't going to help them concentrate on the task at hand.

The narrative has been that the Chiefs lack of playoff success was because they were playing a team with a superior QB or untimely bad call.

False, the crowd was Never really quiet. I mean Right after the scores yes- does Chucky expect us to cheer-lol To blame the Crowd is just stupid.

ChiefBlueCFC
12-28-2018, 11:05 AM

I completely agree, the fans really don't do their part in winning the playoff games at all.

Lzen
12-28-2018, 12:30 PM
I completely agree, the fans really don't do their part in winning the playoff games at all.

I have a question for you. Are you being sarcastic? Or are you just a dumb ass?

Rain Man
12-28-2018, 12:43 PM
I like Larry these days. He's kind of the team's weird uncle.

Blick
12-28-2018, 12:56 PM
I think one thing people fail to take into account is that during the playoffs, many of the usual rank and file Chief fans get pushed out by the money crowd.

Granted, I've never been to a playoff game at Arrowhead (thank God - watching them on TV for the past 20+ years has been painful enough), but I'd wager the crowd isn't nearly as boisterous as it is during a regular season game.

STH since 93. The crowd is great in the playoffs.

crayzkirk
12-28-2018, 01:10 PM
False, the crowd was Never really quiet. I mean Right after the scores yes- does Chucky expect us to cheer-lol To blame the Crowd is just stupid.

Not blaming the crowd, just pointing out that expecting this to not have an effect on the players and coaches is ignoring human nature. The Chiefs failures have always been about the players, coaches and their decisions. I wasn't at the game vs the Chargers however what was it like when the Chiefs committed the penalty on the return, then proceeded to go 3 and out? I know this team is different however I was sitting at home saying "here we go... again".

Mob mentality?

Mephistopheles Janx
12-28-2018, 01:24 PM
As usual, Larry is right. The only Chiefs player that I know of to be purposely held back to ensure he didn't beast into the franchise's record books, after being sat for far too long on the front end of his career by another unbalanced (in terms of O and D) Chiefs coach. Yet Larry's still being the bigger and better person. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181228/917732967218b2978fdf8344e610a81f.jpg

Sent from my 9+ using Tapatalk

Right... and they had straight fucking garbage ahead of him too. Priest who... AMIRITE?!?!?!

I, for one, am beyond grateful to Priest Holmes for coming back and adding to his rushing total in KC so that Larry never once claimed the top spot. Larry is a fucking stain to this franchise. I wish the fucker would comment on Bengals, Skins, or Dolphins football instead.

He, Ray Rice, and Kareem Hunt should open a commune together where they can beat, spit on, and demean all the people they want.

GloryDayz
12-28-2018, 03:14 PM

:hmmm: :harumph:

Reerun_KC
12-28-2018, 03:20 PM
:hmmm: :harumph:

Well home skillet. How do we break the Curse of Marty? At what point do we show up and squash this glaring myth?

he’s right. Arrowhead isn’t scary or some hard place to play, never has been in the playoffs.

FAX
12-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Is this someone related to Gil Brandt who got his job due to family name and connections rather than merit? If so, I'm not really concerned with what he thinks. Maybe his dad didn't like the Chiefs because they were better than the Cowboys when they were back in Dallas.

I know very little about the guy (although, I don't believe he's related to Gil).

What I do know is that he was a soap opera actor before he got a gig bagging groceries (producing) for Jim Rome. That, I believe, is what led him to GMF.

I also know that every single time the Chiefs are mentioned (in any context), he finds something negative to say. He and Schregs have been going at it for awhile. He also does some "guesting" on other pod/vid casts and the same anti-Chiefs mantra can be heard gurgling up out of his pie hole.

Just to be clear, my comment wasn't about the rightness or wrongness of his comments. I'm merely pointing out that this dude is no friend of the historic Chiefs franchise. I should also like to point out that he is part Neanderthal.

FAX

rtmike
12-28-2018, 04:50 PM
There was a two year period when that man ran with hate in his heart. And we loved it.

It used to be when he hit the line he was at full steam.

After the injury in the GB game it seemed like he was tentative, dancing a bit when he hit the line/hole.
The injury really changed his running style imo.

GloucesterChief
12-28-2018, 07:05 PM
He is kinda right though. Stupid flukey crap happens to the Chiefs in road play off games too.

htismaqe
12-28-2018, 07:21 PM
The literal definition of not being able to see the forest through the trees...

Everybody is focused on the 2-6 record and failing to see the real elephant in the room - EIGHT home playoff games. EIGHT. Arrowhead opened in what? 74?

We are talking about 8 games in almost 50 years. The record would organically improve with a larger freaking sample size.

Titty Meat
12-28-2018, 07:33 PM
Exhibit A

Once you get his cock out of your mouth you should let him fuck your ugly ass gf. It will be the first time shes orgasmed since being with you.

Frazod
12-28-2018, 07:38 PM
The literal definition of not being able to see the forest through the trees...

Everybody is focused on the 2-6 record and failing to see the real elephant in the room - EIGHT home playoff games. EIGHT. Arrowhead opened in what? 74?

We are talking about 8 games in almost 50 years. The record would organically improve with a larger freaking sample size.

1972. I was at the first game ever played there - a preseason game against the St. Louis Cardinals. I was seven then. I'm 53 now.

Yeah, two home playoff wins in 46 years is pretty fucking sad. :shake:

GloryDayz
12-28-2018, 09:16 PM
Well home skillet. How do we break the Curse of Marty? At what point do we show up and squash this glaring myth?

he’s right. Arrowhead isn’t scary or some hard place to play, never has been in the playoffs.

I agree with you... I paid to watch the LAC game, last year's Titan game, and even the Indy playoff loss. I know how other teams don't fear Arrowhead.

Reerun_KC
12-28-2018, 09:19 PM
I agree with you... I paid to watch the LAC game, last year's Titan game, and even the Indy playoff loss. I know how other teams don't fear Arrowhead.

So how do we fix it?

Rain Man
12-28-2018, 09:21 PM
So how do we fix it?

We need a franchise quarterback to impale the other teams' heads on stakes.

Heyyyy, wait a minute. Let me go check the roster.

GloryDayz
12-28-2018, 09:37 PM
So how do we fix it?

Get the Hunts to sell...

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-28-2018, 09:43 PM
And most specifically, the organization’s previous decisions to never draft and build around a QB.

FYP

greg63
12-28-2018, 11:54 PM
Larry who???

DTVietnam
12-28-2018, 11:59 PM
last year the QB wasnt the problem..it was the conservative game calling after taking a lead..like all other years..we never have that mentality to keep our foot on their throats when we take a lead. .

Seems like Andy Ried gets his second half play calling from a 5:00 minute quarter Madden game

FAX
12-29-2018, 12:09 AM
Honestly, when one objectively evaluates our playoff record at Arrowhead it makes one wonder if Chief Crapparubixcube really did lay a curse down on our ass.

I read somewhere that some tribe or other agreed to remove the curse for a fee. Maybe it's time to gofundme a damn curse exorcism. I wonder how much they want?

FAX

Chiefs4TheWin
12-29-2018, 12:11 AM
Honestly, when one objectively evaluates our playoff record at Arrowhead it makes one wonder if Chief Crapparubixcube really did lay a curse down on our ass.

I read somewhere that some tribe or other agreed to remove the curse for a fee. Maybe it's time to gofundme a damn curse exorcism. I wonder how much they want?

FAX

10 Oxen should do the trick!

Reerun_KC
12-29-2018, 12:32 AM
last year the QB wasnt the problem..it was the conservative game calling after taking a lead..like all other years..we never have that mentality to keep our foot on their throats when we take a lead. .

Seems like Andy Ried gets his second half play calling from a 5:00 minute quarter Madden game

Lol. Yes the QB was the problem

12-29-2018, 12:52 AM

In a way he is right. People don't get loud until the huddle has already broke and the teams are lined up. The PA guy has a really bad habit of killing natural noise in favor of the chop song.

The crowd still gets loud but they don't do it the same way they did it in the 90s. The 90s was more natural. Today is more manufactured.

kysirsoze
12-29-2018, 01:02 AM
In a way he is right. People don't get loud until the huddle has already broke and the teams are lined up. The PA guy has a really bad habit of killing natural noise in favor of the chop song.

The crowd still gets loud but they don't do it the same way they did it in the 90s. The 90s was more natural. Today is more manufactured.

I've always thought crowd noise mattered most once the teams were lined up and the QB was trying to give assignments/audibles. We do pretty damn well as far as that goes, I think.

Either way, it's mostly a myth. It's a way for fans to feel like they have some input, but it's mostly ineffective. Teams have just figured out over the years how to mitigate the impact. Teams that have a great HFA are just great teams. New England for example. They have an incredible HFA because they have been consistently loaded with talent and well coached. Not having to travel probably helps and a loud crowd (motivated by multiple SBs) contributes a marginal effect.

BlackOp
12-29-2018, 01:04 AM
Did every talking head pick a different team in that segment? I cant believe anyone watches this scripted shit...let alone let it have any emotional impact on them.

"I like the red one...I like the blue one...nah, those are frauds..the yellow one is the real deal....don't forget about those sneaky greens."

12-29-2018, 01:12 AM
I've always thought crowd noise mattered most once the teams were lined up and the QB was trying to give assignments/audibles. We do pretty damn well as far as that goes, I think.

Either way, it's mostly a myth. It's a way for fans to feel like they have some input, but it's mostly ineffective. Teams have just figured out over the years how to mitigate the impact. Teams that have a great HFA are just great teams. New England for example. They have an incredible HFA because they have been consistently loaded with talent and well coached. Not having to travel probably helps and a loud crowd (motivated by multiple SBs) contributes a marginal effect.

If you are waiting for them to get up to the line, its already too late. They know the call and the snap count. GEt them while they are in the huddle and never let up, now you create a little chaos. Thats what the 90s was like. The crowd NEVER let up.

grimes82
12-29-2018, 07:43 AM
Southern Maryland boy huh?? I went to great mills... I was a few years ahead of LJ but we always played McDonough

Reerun_KC
12-29-2018, 08:10 AM
If you are waiting for them to get up to the line, its already too late. They know the call and the snap count. GEt them while they are in the huddle and never let up, now you create a little chaos. Thats what the 90s was like. The crowd NEVER let up.

Then collapse after collapse the crowd changed. Started when the broncos came in and drank our wine. The curse of Marty was in full swing.

Mahomes is our ONLY chance to change history and break this curse. Fat Andy can’t break it as he is a major contributor to the curse. See recent historical playoff collapses.

BWillie
12-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Love me some Larry Johnson. Love how being a Chief is more than a paycheck to him. Hes grown up as a man. Clearly he would have done somethings differently.

ChiefBlueCFC
12-29-2018, 10:52 AM

While I am sometimes a dumbass admittedly, I was being completely facetious here. I thought it was obvious but clearly with some of the people who actually believe that, it’s harder to decipher sarcastic posts from complete idiocy.

Chiefshrink
12-29-2018, 01:24 PM

and then got his $$ and said, "see ya" !!:shake:

milkman
12-29-2018, 01:58 PM
and then got his $$ and said, "see ya" !!:shake:

I give you shit because you really are that stupid.

Spott
12-29-2018, 03:17 PM
I don’t think it’s an Arrowhead thing. Except for playing in Houston, we’ve been unlucky anywhere we’ve played a playoff game.

Demonpenz
12-29-2018, 04:01 PM
Parker deposited a homerun on this thread. /me loving stats and mean stuff.