PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 3 Changes I'd like to see the NFL make

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-29-2018, 01:26 PM
#1) I'd like to see teams only play other teams within their own conference during the 16 game regular season. After all, teams are competing within their conference for seeding into playoffs. You could even go so far as to just have each team play all the other conference teams 1 time. 16 teams =16 games.

#2) Bye weeks should occur within a 2 week period instead of being spread out for 10 weeks . The current situation benefits teams with a bye in week 10 more than a bye in week 4. Sit the AFC week 9 and sit the NFC week 10 and it's all fair.

#3) I'd like to see teams play out of division games weeks 1-8 and all division games weeks 9-17. The second half of the season teams have become who they are and then let them duke it out to win the division. It would be really intense the 2nd half of the season this way.

Thoughts????

PHOG
12-29-2018, 01:32 PM
18 game season, the other 3 AFC divisions once each team, our own division twice each team.

TinyEvel
12-29-2018, 01:33 PM
THUNDERBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think these are good ideas. But the NFL is focusing on re-imagining the punt scenario. Please take a number and we’ll get to you in due time. (Takes number, sits down next to three skeletons with cobwebs on them)

Kidd Lex
12-29-2018, 01:33 PM
I like the rotating schedule of afc versus nfc games. Adds much needed variety to the league. You’re plan would be interesting to see how the leagues would form their own identities like the old afl/nfl days. Even after the league merged in 66 they kept separate regular season league schedules for 4 years. I’d rather keep it as it is. Bye weeks are a nflpa topic I believe.

TribalElder
12-29-2018, 01:34 PM
16 teams = 15 games

Jerok
12-29-2018, 01:34 PM
2 is okay. 1 and 3 are shit though.

Best22
12-29-2018, 01:35 PM
1. No. I love playing NFC teams. Variety is a good thing. We’d be missing out on alot of good storylines and matchups (Manning vs Manning, Niners-Raiders, Chiefs-Bears, etc). Chiefs-Seahawks was great because it had big implications for both conferences. It makes things more complicated and I like that

3. No. I like mixing things up. Uniformity is boring. Will we open the season with Denver at noon? Or will it be a SNF matchup in Chicago? One of the funnest things about the schedule release

NFL has the best scheduling in all of sports

Chiefshrink
12-29-2018, 01:37 PM
NFL has the best scheduling in all of sports

Networks make sure of it !! The NFL knows who butters their bread.;)

Chiefshrink
12-29-2018, 01:38 PM
Get rid of the tie !!:rolleyes:

Halfcan
12-29-2018, 01:41 PM
Stop putting shitty biased refs to call Chiefs games.

Be consistent on what is Offensive Pass Interference and what is not.

Either let teams run pick plays on Offense or don't. It is supposed to be illegal but certain teams run them a lot and don't get called.

Decide what is Offensive and Defensive holding- O line hooks a Defensive player around the neck from behind- No Penalty....while a CB touches a Wide Receiver's hand on an uncatchable ball- Penalty.

Move the Kick off back to where it used to be. Kickoffs are boring now.

Get rid of the dumb rule on Kickoffs that a kicking team player can run out of bounds and then come in and touch the ball- forcing it to be put at the 40-yard line as if the Ball actually went out of bounds.

Let Coaches challenge stupid penalties to see if they are actually valid.

BlackOp
12-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Make all penalties subject to challenge in the final 4 minutes....too many outcomes are being decided by controversial calls that decide games.

At least in the play-offs for starters....

Kidd Lex
12-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Make all penalties subject to challenge in the final 4 minutes....too many outcomes are being decided by controversial calls that decide games.

I want you to actually think about how horrible that would be. Make them eligible for challenges slightly changing existing rules.... ok.

oldman
12-29-2018, 01:55 PM

Be consistent on what is Offensive Pass Interference and what is not.

Either let teams run pick plays on Offense or don't. It is supposed to be illegal but certain teams run them a lot and don't get called.

Decide what is Offensive and Defensive holding- O line hooks a Defensive player around the neck from behind- No Penalty....while a CB touches a Wide Receiver's hand on an uncatchable ball- Penalty.

Move the Kick off back to where it used to be. Kickoffs are boring now.

Get rid of the dumb rule on Kickoffs that a kicking team player can run out of bounds and then come in and touch the ball- forcing it to be put at the 40-yard line as if the Ball actually went out of bounds.

Let Coaches challenge stupid penalties to see if they are actually valid.

This

And this.

Add that an out-of-bounds receiving team player cannot field an in-bounds kickoff and call the kickoff out-of-bounds.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-29-2018, 02:02 PM
Also I'd like to see any player put on IR be available when he's healthy instead of the 2 player rule. I mean you acquired that player to help your team and paid him a lot of money.

BossChief
12-29-2018, 02:05 PM
18 game schedule
No time limit to overtime
58 man rosters
Make refs full time with good pay

Jerok
12-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Instead of 4 downs, let's have 8 downs. More downs are better. And they have to go all 100 yards, either score or turn the ball over - no more punting. And field goals are worth 6 points - double! And touchdowns 18! Extra points do not exist - instead the team's strongest arm throws the ball down the field and gets points based on how far they throw it - yards/10, rounded down. Nah, round it up, more points!!!

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-29-2018, 02:12 PM
Instead of 4 downs, let's have 8 downs. More downs are better. And they have to go all 100 yards, either score or turn the ball over - no more punting. And field goals are worth 6 points - double! And touchdowns 18! Extra points do not exist - instead the team's strongest arm throws the ball down the field and gets points based on how far they throw it - yards/10, rounded down. Nah, round it up, more points!!!

https://youtu.be/jO7VJbbd4z0

FAX
12-29-2018, 02:12 PM
That all sounds pretty cool, but I'd trade all those changes for consistent officiating, to be honest.

FAX

milkman
12-29-2018, 02:14 PM

Hope like hell you are just trying (unsuccessfully) to be funny.

milkman
12-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Because of TV you'd have to do 2 divisions from each conference on the bye weeks, but this as a good idea that I floated around here a few years back.

RunKC
12-29-2018, 02:21 PM
Get rid of the meaningless 4th preseason game, start the year a week earlier and give every team 2 bye weeks. Each team gets a bye from week 3-8 and 9-14.

Have teams get their bye the week before Thursday night games so they are competitive.

Oz_Chief
12-29-2018, 02:23 PM

Some of this is similar to Rugby League. I could go for score or turn the ball over on downs even though I love punt returns. It’ll be interesting to see how kicking game rules develop over the next decade.

Bwana
12-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Get rid of Thursday night football. Dump gas on it, light it on fire and piss on it.

Bugeater
12-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Get rid of the meaningless 4th preseason game, start the year a week earlier and give every team 2 bye weeks. Each team gets a bye from week 3-8 and 9-14.

Have teams get their bye the week before Thursday night games so they are competitive.
3 preseason games won't work because some teams would get 2 home games and others only 1.

If anything cut it down to 2 games or get rid of them completely.

Bugeater
12-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Get rid of Thursday night football. Dump gas on it, light it on fire and piss on it.
I like the primetime game on Thanksgiving but other than that it's as useless as preseason.

Bwana
12-29-2018, 02:32 PM
I like the primetime game on Thanksgiving but other than that it's as useless as preseason.

Exactly

Reerun_KC
12-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Exactly

And the Chiefs should always host the Thanksgiving night game...

Spott
12-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Get rid of Thursday night football except for the opener and on Thanksgiving. I also think it’s bogus when a wild card team that wins 12 games has to go on the road and face a crappy 8 or 9 win team that won their division.

CoMoChief
12-29-2018, 03:12 PM
I wish they would go back to having actual kickoffs

Get rid of international games

Get rid of TNF

2 Preseason games should be enough, do away w/ the other 2, waste of everyone's time and $. Tickets, parking etc are still the same prices. You can't even sell them if you don't want to go, you have to essentially give them away.

Bring back hard hits and head hunting. League has gone soft, and so have the players playing it.

Chief Pagan
12-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Thursday is too short of week. I would be fine if they wanted to play one nationally televised game on Saturday each week, but for some reason the NFL is scared of college football.

Tribal Warfare
12-29-2018, 03:20 PM
18 game season, the other 3 AFC divisions once each team, our own division twice each team.

good luck with that, you'll be cutting players careers in half.

I'd go 12 game regular season games.

QB complaining should be penalized if it becomes constant ( Brady, Rivers)

any automatic 1st down or resulting in a 1st down penalty should be reviewable.

the steam
12-29-2018, 03:24 PM

They need to restrict where WR's and TE's can line up. As long as they are going to allow WR's to line up 6 feet from each other there will be tons of pick plays. Make the stack and bunch formations illegal that would solve the problem.

Chief Pagan
12-29-2018, 03:25 PM
I wish they would go back to having actual kickoffs

If the NFL is afraid of kickoffs, then just get rid of them. The extra point kick also.

You score a TD and don't want to go for two, you automatically get 7 points and you go to commercial break/automatic review. Come back from break, the other team is ready to snap the ball on the 25, no kickoff. No need to do the review, then point after kick, then the commercial break. Then the useless kickoff into the endzone.

If you want to go for two, you get 6 points and after the commercial break you try the 2 point attempt.

If you want to try an onside kick, fine, the kickoff is like it used to be. The kicking team can have players running before the kick. However, if the kicking team fails the onside attempt, the receiving team automatically gets the ball at the 40 (just like an out of bounds kick).

That way, the only time you kickoff is trying for the onside, which doesn't happen very often, so injuries would be pretty rare.

MahiMike
12-29-2018, 03:28 PM
I don't like any of these.

Chief Pagan
12-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Bring back hard hits and head hunting. League has gone soft, and so have the players playing it.

They have some rules that I disagree with. Such as an incidental hand slap to the QB's helmet being a 15 yard penalty.

But I'm glad the NFL has tried to make the game less thugish and made changes that reduce concussions and other injuries that can end players seasons/careers.

Chief Pagan
12-29-2018, 03:31 PM
I don't like any of these.

Yea, I am well aware that my opinions are in a minority.

I really can't help it that everybody else is an idiot.

:Poke:

But more seriously. After a touchdown, it is almost always 7 points and then the other team starts at the 25 yard line. I don't see why that should take ten minutes or more. Give them the 7 points. Show whatever commercials have to be shown while you are doing the automatic review anyway. And have the other offense on the field ready to go.

From touchdown to other team snapping the ball at the 25, would be the 2~3 minute commercial break and that is it.

Demonpenz
12-29-2018, 03:35 PM
No replays or challenges.

Danguardace
12-29-2018, 03:38 PM
More passive officiating, PIs and Special Teams penalties can be greatly reduced IMO.

2 bye Weeks ensure TNF teams are coimg off one of their Bye weeks.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-29-2018, 03:42 PM
During a 3 hour game at least 60 minutes should televise the Cheerleaders except for when the Chiefs play at home.

BWillie
12-29-2018, 03:42 PM
#1) I'd like to see teams only play other teams within their own conference during the 16 game regular season. After all, teams are competing within their conference for seeding into playoffs. You could even go so far as to just have each team play all the other conference teams 1 time. 16 teams =16 games.

#2) Bye weeks should occur within a 2 week period instead of being spread out for 10 weeks . The current situation benefits teams with a bye in week 10 more than a bye in week 4. Sit the AFC week 9 and sit the NFC week 10 and it's all fair.

#3) I'd like to see teams play out of division games weeks 1-8 and all division games weeks 9-17. The second half of the season teams have become who they are and then let them duke it out to win the division. It would be really intense the 2nd half of the season this way.

Thoughts????

1) No roughing the kicker penalty, at all, as long as they make a valid attempt to block the kick. It makes no sense if they tip the ball, they can take out the kicker as hard as they want but if they miss it by a centimeter and the kicker flops on him. FLAG!. Ridiculous.

2) Less roughing the QB flags.

3) Less holding flags.

4) Less targeting/leading with helmet penalties.

5) Allow DBs more freedom to make plays. The saying "The DB has just as much of a right to the ball as the WR" is bullshit.

6) Make them go for two everytime. Every single time. No PATs.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Ugh. I hate the idea of a longer season. It basically makes every current NFL stat record meaningless.

Few changes I'd like to see....
Get rid of stupid stupid international games. Instead, play soccer style friendlies. After the season, send guys like Litton,.kemp, dieter etc... To Europe to play Germany best, England's best, etc....it would build international talent, give backups great game experience, and best of all... Not ruin scheduling.

Also, get Goodell away from subjective penalties. De-emphasize taunting, excessive celebration, etc..

Change defensive holding. Automatic first downs on 3rd and 20 because of a 2 yard shove is nuts.

The Franchise
12-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Bring back NFL Europe but give every team a Europe team. Like AAA in baseball.

GloucesterChief
12-29-2018, 03:52 PM
Bring back the uncatchable defense to PI & defensive holding.
Defensive holding is a ten yard penalty but no auto first down or offensive holding becomes a five yard penalty with loss of down.
OPI becomes a loss of down penalty.
DPI is a 15 yard penalty with an auto first down. No more chuck and pray plays.

KChiefs1
12-29-2018, 03:58 PM
18 game schedule
No time limit to overtime
58 man rosters
Make refs full time with good pay

I think that any player injured during the year should be eligible to comeback when healthy. No limits. That way any IR player could return when ready.

I also think the last six weeks should be division games with the first 12 weeks vs the AFC = 18 games. I also agree the byes should be confined to a four week period with 1/2 the AFC & 1/2 the NFC alternating weeks(example: AFC East, NFC East one week the AFC West, NFC West the next & so on).

Make DPI 15 yards & automatic first down. Make offensive holding a loss of down & defense holding an automatic first down with no added or lost yardage. Holding should only be called when it’s committed egregiously not the ticky tack crap we see now.

displacedinMN
12-29-2018, 04:14 PM
I would settle for consistent officiating and punishment of refs that do make up calls.

The more games I watch, the more I see shit officiating. When every fan base is mad-you know there is a problem.

stevieray
12-29-2018, 04:34 PM
DPI just a ten yard penalty.

chiefzilla1501
12-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Bring back NFL Europe but give every team a Europe team. Like AAA in baseball.

That could work too. And use that as an excuse to get rid of horseshit regular season games being played in neutral overseas places.

Chief Northman
12-29-2018, 05:25 PM
Leave schedule as is, and guarantee division winners a playoff spot but seed playoffs according to overall record.
Quit ****ing around with kicking game. Go back to 2017 kicking rules.
Give coaches two challenges. If first is unsuccessful, you lose the second.
Make head contact/facemasks/UR penalties on the Qb all challengable plays along with procedure/offsides penalties. Make DPI/OPI a 15 yard penalty or half the distance, and automatic first down. No more spot of foul or auto 1 yard line spots for end zone infractions.
Stop the clock after every play under two minutes in each half. Wind it down once ball is set.
Force teams to close out games by running actual offense.

NJChiefsFan
12-29-2018, 05:31 PM
Not a fan of these to be honest. I think you water down division games when you intentionally have them all at once. It loses it's edge if it's a rivalry for the 6th week in a row.

I also like the NFC games. Get to see some different teams.

Tribal Warfare
12-29-2018, 05:51 PM
bring back overtime sudden death rules and eliminate the current one

philfree
12-29-2018, 05:56 PM
It wasn't broke before so quit fucking with it.

MeaTy The Pimp
12-29-2018, 06:15 PM

With regards to officiating games, I think the Referee, Umpire, and Back Judge should be flown in from a neutral market. Then, with regards to the Down Judge, Line Judge, Field Judge, and Side Judge, each team should be able to choose two. That should theoretically keep the officiating crew unbiased.

MahiMike
12-29-2018, 06:28 PM
I want you to actually think about how horrible that would be. Make them eligible for challenges slightly changing existing rules.... ok.

Why not? Every single call should be reviewable. It won't take away from the flow of the game any more than it does now. If anything, it would make the refs more accountable and speed up the game by not calling the bogus shit in the 1st place.

This goes back to the NFL being rigged discussion. If they don't do this, then you know it's being rigged. Period.