PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Report: Mike Mayock a “strong candidate” for Raiders’ GM

Dante84
12-30-2018, 03:22 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a strong candidate for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Raiders?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Raiders</a> GM position, per <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MikeGarafolo</a>.</p>&mdash; NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1079486942100815873?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 30, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CasselGotPeedOn
12-30-2018, 03:23 PM
Maybe when we fire Veach in a year or 2 we can hire Mel Kiper!

RealSNR
12-30-2018, 03:24 PM
There's no way I'd leave the cushy job I've got on TV if I'm Mayock, but maybe he wants the challenge. He'd also have to deal with a power struggle between him and Chucky.

He'll certainly have picks to work with.

ChiefRocka
12-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Trump 4 Oline coach

RealSNR
12-30-2018, 03:26 PM
We were rumored to be interested in Louis Riddick prior to hiring Veach. I hope he's still available if we end up firing Veach some time in the future.

Titty Meat
12-30-2018, 03:31 PM
Uric Burry

TinyEvel
12-30-2018, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't mind that Kay Adams from Good Morning Football as our Gm or just "Spirit Leader" something. Bring her in for a loooooong lok. :drool:

Sofa King
12-30-2018, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't mind that Kay Adams from Good Morning Football as our Gm or just "Spirit Leader" something. Bring her in for a loooooong lok. :drool:

She's about as anti-Chiefs as you can get. Dumb bitch.

JakeF
12-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Maybe you hire Mayock to be in charge of College Scouting but not GM. smh

tk13
12-30-2018, 05:57 PM
Maybe you hire Mayock to be in charge of College Scouting but not GM. smh

It's entirely possible with Gruden running the show that he'd basically be doing just that.

Chris Meck
12-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Trump 4 Oline coach

of the Raiders? sure. I'm in.

kccrow
12-30-2018, 07:41 PM
Surely not any less qualified than any other former NFL player and has actually been paying attention to the draft for years. He isn't Mel Kiper 2.0. Would actually be a reasonable hire.

ChiefsFanatic
12-30-2018, 09:52 PM
She's about as anti-Chiefs as you can get. Dumb bitch.That's just uncalled for. She has a pretty good football IQ for a studio host. And she has spent a lot of time playing a sort of devil's advocate because Peter Schrager has slobbered all over Mahomes' nuts all season.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

RealSNR
12-30-2018, 09:57 PM
That's just uncalled for. She has a pretty good football IQ for a studio host. And she has spent a lot of time playing a sort of devil's advocate because Peter Schrager has slobbered all over Mahomes' nuts all season.

She hitches her wagon to the fucking Chargers and thinks we should all flick her bean for that raging hot take.

Like she doesn't realize how that's been fucking done before.

Bowser
12-30-2018, 10:03 PM
She hitches her wagon to the fucking Chargers and thinks we should all flick her bean for that raging hot take.

Like she doesn't realize how that's been fucking done before.

http://sportsmasher.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/img_3349-1.jpg

You would totally flick that bean. You'd even let her call you Philip Rivers if she wanted to.

Red Dawg
12-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Maybe when we fire Veach in a year or 2 we can hire Mel Kiper!

We should have hired Louis Riddick. He loves Mahomes and would not stand for Sutton.

htismaqe
12-30-2018, 10:05 PM
We should have hired Louis Riddick. He loves Mahomes and would not stand for Sutton.

ROFL

It wouldn’t matter what he thinks of Sutton, that’s Reid’s call. He’s running the show.

staylor26
12-31-2018, 08:04 AM
Sounds like a done deal

RunKC
12-31-2018, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a done deal

Daniel Jeremiah just got a big raise

UChieffyBugger
12-31-2018, 08:32 AM
http://sportsmasher.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/img_3349-1.jpg

You would totally flick that bean. You'd even let her call you Philip Rivers if she wanted to.

She's about four foot nothing, 32 years old and used to date Danny Amandola ffs ROFL . So she can take her Charger ass kissing self and skip on...she ain't sh*t :D

ChiefsFanatic
12-31-2018, 08:33 AM

Like she doesn't realize how that's been fucking done before.More than likely she doesn't expect a damn thing from any fanbase. And more than likely doesn't care what any fanbase thinks of her opinions.

I don't agree with calling a woman a "dumb bitch" because she doesn't say my team is the best. I watch GMFB all the time, and as far as football takes go, that whole crew spreads the love around better than any other show, and they usually discuss the positive aspects of each team, instead of over critical shows like Cowherd, Speak for Yourself, and Undisputed.

Also, if she was on the Chargers bandwagon, they finished 12-4 just like we did, and just beat us in Arrowhead, so any take giving them props is pretty accurate.

UChieffyBugger
12-31-2018, 08:38 AM
More than likely she doesn't expect a damn thing from any fanbase. And more than likely doesn't care what any fanbase thinks of her opinions.

I don't agree with calling a woman a "dumb bitch" because she doesn't say my team is the best. I watch GMFB all the time, and as far as football takes go, that whole crew spreads the love around better than any other show, and they usually discuss the positive aspects of each team, instead of over critical shows like Cowherd, Speak for Yourself, and Undisputed.

Also, if she was on the Chargers bandwagon, they finished 12-4 just like we did, and just beat us in Arrowhead, so any take giving them props is pretty accurate.

She was recently on a chargers podcast after they beat us and she was very happy saying "she never brought into the Chiefs hype" and was pretty scathing about the Chiefs whist simultaneously sucking Bolts D. So screw her I say :D

Mr_Tomahawk
12-31-2018, 09:21 AM
Done Deal.

ChiefsFanatic
12-31-2018, 09:41 AM
She was recently on a chargers podcast after they beat us and she was very happy saying "she never brought into the Chiefs hype" and was pretty scathing about the Chiefs whist simultaneously sucking Bolts D. So screw her I say :DObjectively, we have a very bad defense, and a historical pattern of losing playoff games at home. So, you can't really argue with every pundit and every Chiefs fan, or fans of any other team, that don't believe in the Chiefs until we actually win a home playoff game.

I have said this before, but I have made the silent, freezing cold 1+ mile trek back to my car 5 damn times after home playoff losses, and every time I have told myself that I wouldn't come back until we actually win at home in the playoffs.

But, I let myself believe in my team, time after time, just for them to rip my heart out of my chest and stomp on it, so I cannot blame anyone who believes the Chiefs are fraudulent con-artists until they prove otherwise.

UChieffyBugger
12-31-2018, 09:44 AM
Objectively, we have a very bad defense, and a historical pattern of losing playoff games at home. So, you can't really argue with every pundit and every Chiefs fan, or fans of any other team, that don't believe in the Chiefs until we actually win a home playoff game.

I have said this before, but I have made the silent, freezing cold 1+ mile trek back to my car 5 damn times after home playoff losses, and every time I have told myself that I wouldn't come back until we actually win at home in the playoffs.

But, I let myself believe in my team, time after time, just for them to rip my heart out of my chest and stomp on it, so I cannot blame anyone who believes the Chiefs are fraudulent con-artists until they prove otherwise.

Fair points, but what has the Chargers done to make anyone believe in them so much? This is their first appearance in the playoffs in ages and they may well be a one and done because the Ravens already owned them just a week ago.

wazu
12-31-2018, 09:46 AM
Best GM hire since Matt Millen.

RealSNR
12-31-2018, 09:47 AM
More than likely she doesn't expect a damn thing from any fanbase. And more than likely doesn't care what any fanbase thinks of her opinions.

Sent from my LG-H932 using TapatalkOh just shut the fuck up, you dumb bitch.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-31-2018, 09:56 AM
Gonna miss Mayock on NFL Network.

I think we’d be fooling ourselves to think that Gruden isn’t still the man in charge.

old_geezer
12-31-2018, 11:37 AM
Headline should read "Raiders Hire Gruden's Hand Puppet." :D

MahomesMagic
12-31-2018, 12:19 PM
Mayock has a few good calls on defense now and then. He loved JJ Watt.

But his QB boards are stale and unimaginative. I am happy that the Raiders hired Mayock because QB is the position they need to hit on if they even want to be on the field with Mahomes.

Sassy Squatch
12-31-2018, 12:20 PM
Gonna miss Mayock on NFL Network.

I think we’d be fooling ourselves to think that Gruden isn’t still the man in charge.
Probably hoping for Bruce Allen.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Mayock is consistently wrong on quarterback evaluation. Most of his other top five lists are no different than you'd find from McShay, Kiper, or Walter Football.

Chiefs4TheWin
12-31-2018, 02:07 PM

Agreed. Excellent hire for the Raiders.

Chiefs4TheWin
12-31-2018, 02:08 PM
Also, Bruce Arians and Dan Fouts are available. It would be a shame to lose their insight every Sunday but I could manage.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-31-2018, 02:15 PM
In all honesty they now have two guys running that show that did draft analysis for years. This could get interesting.

Hoover
12-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Hearing that Adam Schefter is being considered as OC, and Mort for Special Teams.

Hoover
12-31-2018, 02:26 PM
In all honesty they now have two guys running that show that did draft analysis for years. This could get interesting.

They are going to look great so long as they plentiful top picks. Call me when you are drafting in the mid-20's thats when you earn your money.

I love John Dorsey, not because of Fisher (obviously) but for finding Travis Kelce in the 3rd, Hill in the 5th, LDT in the 6th or whatever. When you hit on a mid or late round pick you are really serving your team well.

Hammock Parties
12-31-2018, 02:26 PM
Maycuck

Rain Man
12-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Hearing that Adam Schefter is being considered as OC, and Mort for Special Teams.

They should break new ground and hire Erin Andrews or Suzie Kolber as defensive coordinator.

The interesting part about this is that it means that Mark Davis really isn't an NFL insider. He's literally making his staff picks by watching television. That's pretty amazing.

Hoover
12-31-2018, 03:23 PM
They should break new ground and hire Erin Andrews or Suzie Kolber as defensive coordinator.

The interesting part about this is that it means that Mark Davis really isn't an NFL insider. He's literally making his staff picks by watching television. That's pretty amazing.
The Trump of the NFL.

Hell maybe Donald leaves office and buys part of the Raiders.

KChiefs1
12-31-2018, 05:52 PM
Press conference

https://youtu.be/vXQMyhPB2VY

JakeF
12-31-2018, 06:10 PM
She's about four foot nothing, 32 years old and used to date Danny Amandola ffs ROFL . So she can take her Charger ass kissing self and skip on...she ain't sh*t :D
Somebody is raging for no reason.

JakeF
12-31-2018, 06:12 PM
I'm really surprised that Mayock took the job. There must be some serious coin attached.

Chris Meck
12-31-2018, 06:24 PM

and she's hotter than any girl you've ever actually been allowed to touch in your life. Shut your lyin' mouth.

Coochie liquor
01-01-2019, 10:16 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2019/1/1/18163770/broncos-mike-mayock-mocks

So just going by his mock drafts and comparing to the dumpster fire that is Elway drafts. We can count on the Fade continuing their commitment to excrement! I wonder how many GM’s Gruden will go through in his 10 years?

kysirsoze
01-01-2019, 12:35 PM
What fucking great new year we're starting out with. First #1 seed, 5k and 50, and now this late Christmas present. The Raiders are going to be terribad for a long while.

RealSNR
01-01-2019, 01:14 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2019/1/1/18163770/broncos-mike-mayock-mocks

So just going by his mock drafts and comparing to the dumpster fire that is Elway drafts. We can count on the Fade continuing their commitment to excrement! I wonder how many GM’s Gruden will go through in his 10 years?

Mayock had Mahomes as the 3rd best QB in the 2017 draft.

If the Raiders do indeed move on from Carr, I think we don't have to worry TOO much. Unless they get butt ass lucky and fall into the #1 pick in an Andrew Luck year or something

MahiMike
01-01-2019, 01:25 PM
That's just uncalled for. She has a pretty good football IQ for a studio host. And she has spent a lot of time playing a sort of devil's advocate because Peter Schrager has slobbered all over Mahomes' nuts all season.

She's a Raider fan dude. To hell with her. She ain't that cute.

MahiMike
01-01-2019, 01:27 PM
I think this move is good for us. Those 2 will be fighting before the draft even gets here.

BryanBusby
01-01-2019, 01:56 PM
His job will be to simply tell Gruden about prospects x and y and how they fit into scheme z. He's not making the final decision on shit, nor is he even the best tv analyst for that job.

Chiefshrink
01-01-2019, 02:15 PM

Exactly ! This won't end well for sure. This hire means Gruden is in charge and needs Mayock there to stroke his ego on every personnel decision as well as taking the fall when things don't work. Mayock knows his role for sure.;)

NJChiefsFan
01-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Mayock is consistently wrong on quarterback evaluation. Most of his other top five lists are no different than you'd find from McShay, Kiper, or Walter Football.

But he enunciates very well so...

OrtonsPiercedTaint
01-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Five teams can be forced to do hardknocks. Lions, Raiders, Giants, 49ers or Washington :hmmm:

jonzie04
01-01-2019, 05:29 PM

Amen :clap:

digger
01-01-2019, 05:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788039/article/mayock-patrick-mahomes-is-entering-firstround-conversation

Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes is a prospect on the rise, according to NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock,
and he belongs in the first-round conversation along with the draft's other top quarterbacks.

"He's different. He's a gunslinger, he's got an innate feel for the game,"
Mayock said. "The more I look at him, the more I push him higher and closer to that first-round conversation
with (DeShone) Kizer, (Deshaun) Watson and (Mitch) Trubisky. Mahomes is picking up steam in NFL circles."

The former Red Raiders star entered the draft as an underclassman after two-plus stellar years as a college starter.
He threw for career highs of 5,052 yards and 41 touchdowns in Texas Tech's Air Raid offense last year,
a spread system that will require a significant adjustment to the pro-style systems of the NFL.

Two weeks ago, Mayock ranked Mahomes the No. 4 quarterback in the draft class.

TimeForWasp
01-01-2019, 06:06 PM
I think Mayock was a genious hire. Kinda scary .. Hope Veach can match it.

KChiefs1
01-01-2019, 06:14 PM
Five teams can be forced to do hardknocks. Lions, Raiders, Giants, 49ers or Washington :hmmm:

Raiders would be must see tv.

dj56dt58
01-01-2019, 06:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788039/article/mayock-patrick-mahomes-is-entering-firstround-conversation

Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes is a prospect on the rise, according to NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock,
and he belongs in the first-round conversation along with the draft's other top quarterbacks.

"He's different. He's a gunslinger, he's got an innate feel for the game,"
Mayock said. "The more I look at him, the more I push him higher and closer to that first-round conversation
with (DeShone) Kizer, (Deshaun) Watson and (Mitch) Trubisky. Mahomes is picking up steam in NFL circles."

The former Red Raiders star entered the draft as an underclassman after two-plus stellar years as a college starter.
He threw for career highs of 5,052 yards and 41 touchdowns in Texas Tech's Air Raid offense last year,
a spread system that will require a significant adjustment to the pro-style systems of the NFL.

Two weeks ago, Mayock ranked Mahomes the No. 4 quarterback in the draft class.

Deshaun and Mitch are pretty good, let's re visit this 5 years from now. I still think Mahomes will end up being the best by far but it's not like all of those guys other than Mahomes are garbage.

FloridaMan88
01-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Both Mayock and Gruden loved Nathan Peterman coming out of college.

Good luck with that train wreck, Raiders.

chiefzilla1501
01-01-2019, 07:50 PM
How much can he benchpress?

wazu
01-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Really hoping for a Raiders Hard Knocks this year.

LoneWolf
01-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Deshaun and Mitch are pretty good, let's re visit this 5 years from now. I still think Mahomes will end up being the best by far but it's not like all of those guys other than Mahomes are garbage.

Trubisky is garbage. He’s being propped up by a great defense.

philfree
01-01-2019, 08:40 PM
This situation looks like one of those beautiful slow motion train wrecks that you just can't turn away from.

philfree
01-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Trading Mack looked dumb though but he's been out played by D. Ford so for the money it doesn't look so bad now. And Mack plays on a loaded defense.

Shaid
01-01-2019, 09:27 PM
There's no way I'd leave the cushy job I've got on TV if I'm Mayock, but maybe he wants the challenge. He'd also have to deal with a power struggle between him and Chucky.

He'll certainly have picks to work with.

He tends to scour film and his job has been essentially a talent scout for a long time now. So if you want a scout, sure I guess. Now factor in never dealing with contracts, etc. and there's a potential for some trouble.

Rausch
01-02-2019, 07:01 AM
He tends to scour film and his job has been essentially a talent scout for a long time now. So if you want a scout, sure I guess. Now factor in never dealing with contracts, etc. and there's a potential for some trouble.

I could see there being a big short-term benefit because that's pretty much all the guy did all year long. Unlike other GM's he didn't have to worry about the salary cap or NFL games or anything else. He just spent all his time watching game tape and collecting info on the college game.

And I'm sure he's got a ton of contacts after not being connected with a team. Hell, people might have told him more because he wasn't connected to any team...

Coochie liquor
01-02-2019, 07:37 AM
I could see there being a big short-term benefit because that's pretty much all the guy did all year long. Unlike other GM's he didn't have to worry about the salary cap or NFL games or anything else. He just spent all his time watching game tape and collecting info on the college game.

And I'm sure he's got a ton of contacts after not being connected with a team. Hell, people might have told him more because he wasn't connected to any team...

He was in a position where his draft board didn’t actually matter and he still kept his job. Miss on some picks and no big deal. Whole different ballgame now. Not that any of that matters cuz it’s Grudens show anyway!

FAH-Q
01-02-2019, 07:55 AM
He was in a position where his draft board didn’t actually matter and he still kept his job. Miss on some picks and no big deal. Whole different ballgame now. Not that any of that matters cuz it’s Grudens show anyway!

One of the Denver Broncos reporters did a comparison of the Elway drafts vs. what Mayock had mocked to the Broncos (who he would have drafted) and there was a minimal difference. So as bad has Elway has been at drafts (according to the Denver fans), it's not like Mayock is some wizard who hits on every single pick. As you stated, it all sounds fine and dandy when you can spout knowledge about players but have no real accountability when or if they are a bust. There is a reason these guys are mostly talking heads and not a general manager of an NFL franchise. And I'm really curious to see if he is also managing the cap and contracts. As we saw from Dorsey, that is much more difficult than evaluating talent.

kccrow
01-02-2019, 08:24 AM
I think Mayock was a genious hire. Kinda scary .. Hope Veach can match it.

I'm kinda worried it will be too.

Mike Mayock played in the NFL. Albeit he wasn't very good and he also wasn't in it long but he still did. He knows how contract negotiations go down and how things work. He isn't walking in oblivious like some in this thread seem to think. Besides, the GM isn't the only man in the room and sometimes isn't the man in the room when contracts are negotiated; that task is often also up to the Director of Pro Personnel.

He's been right about many more players than he's been wrong. He's the draft analyst I've respected most over the years and the one I'm usually in line with thought wise. He has an eye for sleeper-type talent. He gets them wrong like every other scout, GM, and talking head out there but he has a good track record.

Just because Mayock was a "talking head" doesn't disqualify him as an adequate or reasonable candidate. He's no less qualified than Elway, Lynch, or many, many others that are former players. He's replacing a former player turned GM. People here think he's like Kiper. Well, he's not just a random schmuck off the street turned draft guru.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2019, 08:47 AM
When does Mel Kiper jr get a GM gig?

Rausch
01-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Like I said, short term he'll probably do pretty good.

The draft picks are slotted and he won't have to worry too much about contracts and the like. They can lean on the draft for the most part.

As time goes on though he'll have to learn quick the other 299 areas of being a GM...

Beef Supreme
01-02-2019, 11:15 AM
What is NFL Network, and the rest of the sports media, going to do without Mayock's draft board to steal from?