PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Could the Chiefs be the team of the decade in the '20s?

cmh6476
12-31-2018, 06:24 PM
Or, because Chiefs?

EdmontonChiefsFan
12-31-2018, 06:27 PM
in !

RaidersOftheCellar
12-31-2018, 06:31 PM
They’ll say...

Remember that little run the Patriots had? That was cute.

IowaHawkeyeChief
12-31-2018, 06:32 PM
They "will" be the team of the 20's. It's a great time to be a Chiefs fan!

FlaChief58
12-31-2018, 06:35 PM
Nice to think about I suppose but, I'd be elated if they become the the team of 2018

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2018, 06:35 PM
Will the Jesuits let us?

Hammock Parties
12-31-2018, 06:37 PM
We are going to be so potent several States will enact Mahomibition laws

tk13
12-31-2018, 06:53 PM
The potential is there, without a doubt.

We're going to have to do some real work on defense if they really want to get there though. Otherwise we'll just be the 80s and 90s Dolphins.

You look at a team like the Patriots, and they have Brady, but they have been in the top 10 in scoring offense and defense every year for the last 13 years except one, and in that year they just ranked 15th defensively for scoring. Not terrible.

That's 12 of the last 13 years. You know how many times the Chiefs have finished in the top 10 of both offense and defense in the same season? 6 times since the merger. 71, 90, 91, 97, 13, 15.

cmh6476
12-31-2018, 07:17 PM
Mahomes/ Mayfield epic battles for the rights to play in the SB year after year?

Tribal Warfare
12-31-2018, 07:25 PM
2020's, quality it better since most of the BB members were born in the 20th century.

When I see that abbreviation I immediately believe you're referring to the 1920's

BWillie
12-31-2018, 07:36 PM
The 20's. I am so fucking old.

Randallflagg
12-31-2018, 07:59 PM
The 20's. I am so ****ing old.

Seriously? Hell, I came to age in the 50s....I thought the 70s were so far into the future..... LMAO

Chief Pagan
12-31-2018, 09:01 PM
The potential is there, without a doubt.

You look at a team like the Patriots, and they have Brady, but they have been in the top 10 in scoring offense and defense every year for the last 13 years except one, and in that year they just ranked 15th defensively for scoring. Not terrible.

That's 12 of the last 13 years. You know how many times the Chiefs have finished in the top 10 of both offense and defense in the same season? 6 times since the merger. 71, 90, 91, 97, 13, 15.

Brady made average WRs into stars. Peyton was so good reading defenses pre snap and making changes that his OL looked way better than it was. A bit of ref bias on OL holding didn't hurt.

PM is going to have to make the offense top 10 without being surrounded by top 10 talent.

The talent needs to be directed towards the D.

cmh6476
01-02-2019, 10:11 AM
Brady made average WRs into stars. Peyton was so good reading defenses pre snap and making changes that his OL looked way better than it was. A bit of ref bias on OL holding didn't hurt.

PM is going to have to make the offense top 10 without being surrounded by top 10 talent.

The talent needs to be directed towards the D.

and will the Chiefs pony up the money it will take to make him the face of the franchise forever, and will he fall in love with the city and fans enough to not be tempted to another market for more money?

Mile High Mania
01-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Just enjoy the ride you're on... don't get all wrapped up with what might be in the next decade, just buckle up and keep your arms and legs inside the car at all times.

cmh6476
01-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Just enjoy the ride you're on... don't get all wrapped up with what might be in the next decade, just buckle up and keep your arms and legs inside the car at all times.

and you enjoy the pit of misery PBJ

IowaHawkeyeChief
01-02-2019, 10:17 AM
and will the Chiefs pony up the money it will take to make him the face of the franchise forever, and will he fall in love with the city and fans enough to not be tempted to another market for more money?

:rolleyes:Mahomes isn't going anywhere...No franchise let's these guys walk unless they are at the end like Montana and Farve or they were one year wonders... Mahomes isn't a one year wonder. If he is smart and is coming out with his own gear which may allow him to have a friendlier contract so they can have some weapons and get to more Superbowls... See Brady, although Mahomes girlfriend is not a $65 million a year supermodel, or see Rodgers, who more than got paid but is always short on talent. Winning Superbowls, multiple, gets you paid very well for life.

Mile High Mania
01-02-2019, 10:47 AM
and you enjoy the pit of misery PBJ

Meh... while they've completed something that I hadn't previously seen accomplished in my lifetime with the back to back losing seasons, I'm confident it won't be a prologned stint in the pit of misery.

Teams can change their fortunes pretty quickly. We'll see what they do with coaching position - that's the first path to improvement and will dictate what they can attract in FA.

Amnorix
01-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Yes, maybe, but with stunningly few exceptions, even "teams of the decade" with star QBs don't win more than one or two SBs. Since the advent of free agency, team with great QBs (and it certainly appears Mahomes is in that category) are always in the hunt, but you should not expect a SB appearance, much less win, every year. Between injuries, the fact that every other team circles YOUR team on their calendar as their personal, private, Super Bowl, the ups and downs of the NFL, the salary cap issues when damn near every player becomes convinced they are awesome because of THEM, and the draft pick order, it's ridiculously hard to actually win the ring any given year, and sustained success is even harder.

But you're likely to have a HELL of a ride the next 10-15 years or whatever, and should get a SB or more to celebrate. Enjoy it. Too many fans end up bemoaning the "lost years" rather than enjoying the ride.

crayzkirk
01-02-2019, 11:47 AM
I am just going to enjoy the ride. Unlike the AFC Least, the Best always seems to be one of the more competitive divisions. With the changes in salary structure, rule changes favoring the offense and coaches changing their schemes to match the players (instead of the other way around), I believe that teams will be able to turn things around very rapidly.

RaidersOftheCellar
01-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Mahomes is probably already the best QB in the league and I don't think he's anywhere close to peaking. Because of factors mentioned above, it's impossible to predict the number of SB appearances, but I think he'll be in the convo for GOAT one day and hold many of the records.

Frankly, I thought this was possible before he ever played a regular season game. Doesn't seem quite so crazy now.

Valiant
01-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Can we give the kid a couple seasons first before the goat talk?

TEX
01-02-2019, 01:50 PM
Meh... while they've completed something that I hadn't previously seen accomplished in my lifetime with the back to back losing seasons, I'm confident it won't be a prologned stint in the pit of misery.

Teams can change their fortunes pretty quickly. We'll see what they do with coaching position - that's the first path to improvement and will dictate what they can attract in FA.

Meh...Recently, more times than not, when you say, "Meh," the opposite happens...LMAO
"Meh...come talk to me when the streak reaches 5, I doubt it gets to 7"...;"Meh...Hardly a collapse..."; "Meh...Denver will probably win anywhere from 8 - 9 games this season,...etc.

CoMoChief
01-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Could be....

But..ya know....Andy Reid

I do think there's a change of guard happening before our very eyes. AFC isn't as strong right now, compared to years past. Good window of opportunity for KC for sure.

I don't think Brady and BigBen will play for very much longer, especially if the Steelers trade away Antonio Brown. It's a double edged sword. Ben probably hates him as a teammate, but he wants to win now, and even though they have JuJu, they're clearly not the same team offensively without Brown (or Bell). He's been walking on that retirement edge before, and if he doesn't think the Steelers are going to be SB contenders I think he hangs them up. Like if the Steelers suck next year, Tomlin gets fired, I bet BigBen retires.

Brady will pobably play for a few more yrs, but like Roethlisberger, at this stage in their careers it's probably going to depend on whether or not they see their teams as serious SB contenders. Pats aren't nearly in as bad of shape as the Steelers and the turmoil that is going on there. Belichick runs a tight ship and they move on and replace players like it's nothing so I's assuming that machine will run a bit longer than PIT. The shit thats going on in PIT right now is the type of toxic shit that will ultimately result in regime change. I could definitely see the Steelers spiraling out of control into next season and having a shit offseason and 2019 season. Would BigBen want to go through all of that? I know I wouldn't.

Rivers is probably going to hang them up soon as well, which is a shame (not really), but he's been on some really shitty Chargers teams the majority of his career and has pretty much had to carry that franchise, and now they're just starting to right the ship and he's in the twilight years of his career. They have around a 2-3yr window.

So you have Luck, Watson, Mayfield (maybe), along w/ an aging Brady, Ben, and Rivers...I like those odds.

Others are Darnold, Allen, Tannehill, Mariota, Bortles(lol), Keenum, Carr, Dalton, Jackson (can't throw in NFL). That list is mostly dogshit.

Clearly most of the talent is in the NFC, I just hope the Chiefs don't turn into the early 90's Bills (which I could TOTALLY see happening :( )

frozenchief
01-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Let's just calm down. Mahomes has had a great season. He's had one of the best QB seasons in NFL history and he's just 23. We can certainly build our team around him and we can build a dynasty that makes KC a team for the '20s.

But...

Aaron Rogers won the Super Bowl in 2010 and hasn't been back since. GB is generally considered a solid NFL town, generally producing a solid team year in and year out. I admit the last couple of years have been sub par, but they've been sub par even with Rogers.

Whatever you think of Roethlisberger's personal life, he is a HOF QB. He's in a team that has stable, consistent ownership and generally fields a playoff team. Note how many articles this year are asking, "What went wrong in Pittsburgh that they aren't in the playoffs this year?" There are no such articles written for the Titans.

Drew Brees is another HOF QB, yet New Orleans has had good years and bad years. And how many Super Bowls have they been to?

I got a chance to re-watch parts of the Oakland game because it was still in my Hulu list. At the start of the game, they noted the QBs who had 48 TDs. First one was Dan Marino. I remember that year. I remember the Pepsi commercial after the Super Bowl with Montana and Marino at the Pepsi machine and at the end, Marino looks at Montana and says, "next year." Well, Marino never went to the Super Bowl again. Miami was a tough opponent for the next decade plus and Marino was undoubtedly a great QB. But Miami didn't put together a dynasty.

The great Pittsburgh teams of the '70s were really great for about 5 years. Dallas was great for a few years in the '90s (yeah, Jerry screwed it up, but you get my point).

To my memory, there have really been 3 teams (in the Super Bowl era) that have been dynasties lasting longer than a few years, "dynasty" including multiple Super Bowl victories:

San Francisco in the '80s
Denver with Elway (although they went a couple of times and lost badly before they won in the 90s, and Denver had some admittedly off years, so you could argue that they don't give in here)
New England since 2002 or so
You could include Pittsburgh because they won 4 Super Bowls in 5 years

Green Bay with Favre? 2 Super Bowls, 1 victory
Denver with Manning: 1 Super Bowl victory, but again, only a few years and their defense got them that.
Indy with Manning: 1 Super Bowl victory. They were always good and went deep into the playoffs but not the team of the 2000s

I don't doubt Mahomes will be a great QB, barring injury or some unforeseen occurrence. And KC can ride those coattails a long, long way. But even with great QBs, dynasties are very, very hard to make. Let's hold off until 2025 before we have this discussion.

crayzkirk
01-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Although they never won a Super Bowl, the Bills were always a tough out with Kelly and Thomas. Like Manning and James, a great QB and RB combo really makes it tough on the opponent. The 49ers always had a great compliment of RBs, TEs and WRs to compliment Montana.

Yehoodi
01-02-2019, 03:16 PM
The opportunity is certainly there for the Chiefs to take the reigns of being the best team of the 2020's. :)

Got a young great QB and team around him for a few years before second term contracts kick in. The AFC does not seem to be strong and one is not sure which team is going to be great the next 10 years, so window is open for the taking by the Chiefs.

At the same time I would just enjoy the ride as it happens.

A team can keep going, but with salary cap and thus not being able to keep everyone (see Seattle 2013 to present), injuries, playoffs are a one game elimination, roster turnover, some just bad luck, folks and teams giving you their A game each week, it is tough to stay king of the mountain.

Also, playing deep into Jan. can wear on you year in and year out as you are playing an extra month.

I remember Aaron Rodgers saying after the Super Bowl win in 2010 and during their 2011 season in which they went 15-1, he kind of wish they could be the team of the 2010s. He wasn't being cocky just matter of a fact.

It is a lot of work and luck to win a ring. The Pats have had a great run but did not win a ring between 2005-2013, and the Packers and Rodgers have not won since 2010 and missed the playoffs the last two years.

Yehoodi
01-02-2019, 03:26 PM
Let's just calm down. Mahomes has had a great season. He's had one of the best QB seasons in NFL history and he's just 23. We can certainly build our team around him and we can build a dynasty that makes KC a team for the '20s.

But...

Aaron Rogers won the Super Bowl in 2010 and hasn't been back since. GB is generally considered a solid NFL town, generally producing a solid team year in and year out. I admit the last couple of years have been sub par, but they've been sub par even with Rogers.

Whatever you think of Roethlisberger's personal life, he is a HOF QB. He's in a team that has stable, consistent ownership and generally fields a playoff team. Note how many articles this year are asking, "What went wrong in Pittsburgh that they aren't in the playoffs this year?" There are no such articles written for the Titans.

Drew Brees is another HOF QB, yet New Orleans has had good years and bad years. And how many Super Bowls have they been to?

I got a chance to re-watch parts of the Oakland game because it was still in my Hulu list. At the start of the game, they noted the QBs who had 48 TDs. First one was Dan Marino. I remember that year. I remember the Pepsi commercial after the Super Bowl with Montana and Marino at the Pepsi machine and at the end, Marino looks at Montana and says, "next year." Well, Marino never went to the Super Bowl again. Miami was a tough opponent for the next decade plus and Marino was undoubtedly a great QB. But Miami didn't put together a dynasty.

The great Pittsburgh teams of the '70s were really great for about 5 years. Dallas was great for a few years in the '90s (yeah, Jerry screwed it up, but you get my point).

To my memory, there have really been 3 teams (in the Super Bowl era) that have been dynasties lasting longer than a few years, "dynasty" including multiple Super Bowl victories:

San Francisco in the '80s
Denver with Elway (although they went a couple of times and lost badly before they won in the 90s, and Denver had some admittedly off years, so you could argue that they don't give in here)
New England since 2002 or so
You could include Pittsburgh because they won 4 Super Bowls in 5 years

Green Bay with Favre? 2 Super Bowls, 1 victory
Denver with Manning: 1 Super Bowl victory, but again, only a few years and their defense got them that.
Indy with Manning: 1 Super Bowl victory. They were always good and went deep into the playoffs but not the team of the 2000s

I don't doubt Mahomes will be a great QB, barring injury or some unforeseen occurrence. And KC can ride those coattails a long, long way. But even with great QBs, dynasties are very, very hard to make. Let's hold off until 2025 before we have this discussion.

This sums things up pretty well.

A team with a great QB like Mahomes has the biggest, and toughest to find, piece of the puzzle. So that is great. :)

The dicey thing is there are so many factors, many of which are not in ones control (salary cap, injuries, bad bounces/play calls/ref calls) that make it difficult to be the last one standing each year.

It does not mean one is not likely the best that year, just that the one standing at the end may not necessarily be the best for the given year.

It is one thing to be the best team during the 16 game regular season and some of those things even out, but football, unlike other team sports, is a single elimination dance.

All one can do it get ones team in as many chances as possible to be the last one standing and lady luck takes over. if you can do that 6 or so times in 10 years, you will likely walk away with 2-3 rings or so.

The great thing is your fan base has so much to look forward too and that is really the key here . . . :clap:

CupidStunt
01-02-2019, 03:26 PM
We could be:

The Pats of the 00/10s (goat QB + top coach + good personnel moves)
The Colts of the 00s (goat QB + mostly bad personnel moves/defense)
The Packers of the 10s (goat QB + mostly just disappointment overall)
The [insert team with promising QB who somehow flamed out]

I just don't see Mahomes being anything less than great, so the future seems bright. Other than the outliers like Rivers, all the upper-echelon QBs have at least 1 ring -- Brees, Rodgers, Ben, Wilson. And shit, a few other guys would have one as well if they didn't have to go through Brady and Manning for the better part of 2 decades. I don't see a guy like Mayfield or Lamar Jackson cock-blocking Mahomes for the next 10-15 years.

Bump
01-02-2019, 03:27 PM
I mean with Mahomes hell ya we can, but it's ultimately up to the NFL and what they tell the refs to do.

Amnorix
01-02-2019, 03:31 PM
Although they never won a Super Bowl, the Bills were always a tough out with Kelly and Thomas. Like Manning and James, a great QB and RB combo really makes it tough on the opponent. The 49ers always had a great compliment of RBs, TEs and WRs to compliment Montana.

They also had a consistently very good to great defense, but nobody seems to remember that part...

Amnorix
01-02-2019, 03:33 PM
I mean with Mahomes hell ya we can, but it's ultimately up to the NFL and what they tell the refs to do.

:rolleyes: Over the past 10 years, pretty much every NFL rule change has been one that helps Mahomes and the style he plays, so your complaints about getting fucked in advance are pretty weak tbh.

Rivaldo
01-02-2019, 03:37 PM

:thumb:

Marino led the Fins to the Super Bowl in his 2nd season as a pro and never returned to the biggest game. His stats that season might extrapolate as the best ever by a QB when you factor in the era.

gtfo mongo

Chiefer8989
01-02-2019, 03:40 PM
Too early to say. Mahomes isn't going to throw 50 TD's next season. This team isn't going to blowout everybody. You gotta capitalize when the opportunity presents itself.

Rivaldo
01-02-2019, 03:41 PM
lol Amnorix sig Goat

RunKC
01-02-2019, 03:46 PM
This will heavily rely on Andy and Veach.

If we keep drafting busts early like Kpassganon, K Russell and Hunt then we likely won’t be in that position.

Brady has had so much success bc of his shit division and having the greatest coach/GM ever.

38yrsfan
01-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Things will be more clear and focused in 2020.

NJChiefsFan
01-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Random guy was wearing a Mahomes jersey at a NJ bowling league tonight according to my friend. The invasion has already started.

I don't know what is more confusing to my brain, the fact that we are entering the 20's or the fact that the Chiefs could be a major player in said decade.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-04-2019, 09:29 AM
I certainly don’t want to get too wrapped up in years way down the line, but if they’ve got Mahomes and Reid together for the next decade, I’d say they’ll absolutely be the team of the decade.

Nzoner
01-04-2019, 10:16 AM
How about they just get the home playoff win monkey off they're back first.

prhom
01-04-2019, 10:58 AM
One important aspect of becoming a dynasty is having division rivals with inferior QBs. Realigning the divisions after 2002 really helped the Pats and Colts. Both teams had great QBs, but were isolated in divisions with weaker opponents and inferior QBs. They were spotted a handful of easy wins each year and didn’t have to go into the playoffs as a wildcard.

Once Rivers retires, we may have that kind of setup in the AFC west. As long as the other teams struggle to find a QB and we have Mahomes, we should dominate our division and that will go a long way towards getting into the playoffs and doing so as a division champ and higher seed. From the looks of it, the AFC South and North are going to be brutal places to play for quite a while.