PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Travel Question

philfree
01-03-2019, 11:14 PM
I'm driving from Elko, Nevada to Kansas City. On the drive out I took I-80 across to Cheyenne and then on from there. On the way back I thought I might stay in Denver instead of Cheyenne and then take I-70 to KC. I live in Springfield so the following day I'll take a leisurely drive the rest of the way home to my humble abode. My hot tub, my sports bar basement, The Chiefs Room...

So I-80 or I-70?

tooge
01-03-2019, 11:15 PM
Take 80.

Randallflagg
01-03-2019, 11:19 PM
If you plan on staying in Denver - take 70. Cheyenne? Take 80. But it's not that big a deal in reality - Cheyenne is about 60-70 miles North of Denver, so either road would work for you.

Bugeater
01-03-2019, 11:19 PM
I love Cheyenne. In fact, I love it so much I'm planning on moving there. Denver, OTOH, is a giant pile of puke.

Stay in Cheyenne.

Randallflagg
01-03-2019, 11:21 PM
I love Cheyenne. In fact, I love it so much I'm planning on moving there. Denver, OTOH, is a giant pile of puke.

Stay in Cheyenne.

Wife and I bought 60 acres just North of Cheyenne about 6 months ago. Currently building a house there on the property.

Bugeater
01-03-2019, 11:25 PM
Wife and I bought 60 acres just North of Cheyenne about 6 months ago. Currently building a house there on the property.
OMG WE'RE GOING TO BE NEIGHBORS

Well....sort of. It's a great area though. I can't wait to finally get the hell out of Omaha.

philfree
01-03-2019, 11:38 PM
I stayed in Cheyenne on the way out but honestly I was looking for a little plusher place to stay and I thought Denver might offer that. I've enjoyed it but I'm ready to leave the Wild West behind. After we win the SB I think I'm headed to Gulf of Mexico.

We came out here to spend Christmas with our grandsons. For the last three weeks we've stayed here http://littlecreekcrossing.com/

Cool place but the walls are closing in. And it's Cold!

prhom
01-03-2019, 11:44 PM
If you are up for a more interesting, but longer drive, I would say to go south to Eureka and take Hwy 50 going east and join up with 70 in Utah. I did the drive from Denver to Ely a year ago and really enjoyed the scenery. Better than driving 80 through Utah and Wyoming, if you ask me!

Randallflagg
01-03-2019, 11:46 PM

Well....sort of. It's a great area though. I can't wait to finally get the hell out of Omaha.

:clap:

Yeah, we LOVE Wyoming.....but only RURAL Wyoming. Unfortunately, places like Jackson Hole, hell, even Laramie, et al are getting overrun by Kalifornia jerk offs...But all that aside - Olathe will always be OUR home. It's fun to head up to Cheyenne for 3-4 weeks at a time, but we are in (literally) the middle of nowhere. 20 miles to the nearest store.

There are, of course, pros and cons and different ways of looking at it - but after the Septic is dug, the well dug, the house built, the propane tanks delivered......THEN the fun starts! LMAO

Rain Man
01-03-2019, 11:51 PM
You take I-80 if you want to avoid weather and be efficient. You take I-70 if you want nice scenery and the chance to do a highway tunnel at 11,000 feet of elevation.

I-70 is a much more interesting drive, but you just have to watch the weather. If you take I-70, you're going to get snow on some very steep and long uphills and downhills, and it takes nerves of steel in the winter.

Also, don't even think about driving into Denver on Sunday night. You'll creep the last 30 miles with everyone coming back from ski weekends. It's fine most other times, though.

Rain Man
01-03-2019, 11:52 PM

Have you bought yet? Is it a done deal?

01-03-2019, 11:53 PM

Stay in Cheyenne.

:#

philfree
01-04-2019, 12:04 AM
You take I-80 if you want to avoid weather and be efficient. You take I-70 if you want nice scenery and the chance to do a highway tunnel at 11,000 feet of elevation.

I-70 is a much more interesting drive, but you just have to watch the weather. If you take I-70, you're going to get snow on some very steep and long uphills and downhills, and it takes nerves of steel in the winter.

Also, don't even think about driving into Denver on Sunday night. You'll creep the last 30 miles with everyone coming back from ski weekends. It's fine most other times, though.

I've been checking weather daily and it looks good for my two main days of driving. Now tourist traffic I haven't considered. I'll be heading into Denver (if I go that way) on Saturday and then on to KC on Sunday. Will the traffic really be an issue on under that scenario?

Randallflagg
01-04-2019, 12:11 AM

Stay in Cheyenne.

There isn't enough money in the world for me to (voluntarily) go to Denver. You are correct, a giant pile of puke....I never minded the suburbs like Thornton or North Glenn or South like Castle Rock maybe Loveland or Fort Collins (except for the traffic in Fort Collins) but Denver? Not only NO but HELL NO!

The last time we were there visiting, my friend took us down to the Pepsi Center. Those lighted signs were everywhere - "LOCK YOUR DOORS!!"

philfree
01-04-2019, 12:31 AM
We stayed in Cheyenne on the 22nd of Dec. and we ate at the Rib & Chop House. Is that the best place?

philfree
01-04-2019, 01:04 AM
Something that happened on the drive out from Springfield. When we got to KC in the past I would take 435 N to 210 W to get to I 29. This time there was no 210 W exit anymore. If I come back that way and down 210 E can I get back on 435 S the same as before?

Rain Man
01-04-2019, 01:53 AM
I've been checking weather daily and it looks good for my two main days of driving. Now tourist traffic I haven't considered. I'll be heading into Denver (if I go that way) on Saturday and then on to KC on Sunday. Will the traffic really be an issue on under that scenario?

I don't think it's bad eastbound on Saturdays, though I don't drive very often at that time. Sundays are the big problem because people are coming back from weekend trips.

Rain Man
01-04-2019, 01:57 AM
If you are up for a more interesting, but longer drive, I would say to go south to Eureka and take Hwy 50 going east and join up with 70 in Utah. I did the drive from Denver to Ely a year ago and really enjoyed the scenery. Better than driving 80 through Utah and Wyoming, if you ask me!

Yeah, that would add a couple of hours, but it's a nice drive.

Rain Man
01-04-2019, 02:01 AM

Stay in Cheyenne.

There isn't enough money in the world for me to (voluntarily) go to Denver. You are correct, a giant pile of puke....I never minded the suburbs like Thornton or North Glenn or South like Castle Rock maybe Loveland or Fort Collins (except for the traffic in Fort Collins) but Denver? Not only NO but HELL NO!

The last time we were there visiting, my friend took us down to the Pepsi Center. Those lighted signs were everywhere - "LOCK YOUR DOORS!!"

I think I see the problem. You guys got no culture.

And the 'lock your door' thing was probably only when Aqib Talib was playing here.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1p69Ek4gIo7EQ" width="364" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/shocked-1p69Ek4gIo7EQ">via GIPHY</a></p>

Don Corlemahomes
01-04-2019, 02:16 AM

prhom
01-04-2019, 07:03 AM

Traffic is still an issue going eastbound into Denver on 70 on Saturday afternoons. Though not as bad as on Sunday. The worst time is generally 3-6pm or so, but if there are accidents then that could go earlier or later. There is an express lane that you can take if you want to pay a little extra to get out of traffic, but it can also fill up if traffic is really bad.

If you do go the 70 route then just plan to be earlier than that or stop somewhere before leaving Silverthorn and eat a leisurely dinner, do whatever and drive into Denver later on. I prefer sitting somewhere comfortable to sitting in traffic.

rockymtnchief
01-04-2019, 07:35 AM

Stay in Cheyenne.

After you get moved, don't forget to make the trip north to visit the Bwana/RMC beer drinking and ATV museum.:D

luv
01-04-2019, 08:35 AM
I don't know about I-80, but I can't imagine much being more boring than driving across Kansas on I-70.

Randallflagg
01-04-2019, 08:37 AM

And the 'lock your door' thing was probably only when Aqib Talib was playing here.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1p69Ek4gIo7EQ" width="364" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/shocked-1p69Ek4gIo7EQ">via GIPHY</a></p>

LMAO

NewChief
01-04-2019, 09:30 AM

I'm literally lol'ing at these guys talking about the superiority of Cheyenne to Denver. ROFL

I worked in Cheyenne for a few years, commuting up from Ft. Collins. I mean, I guess if isolation and "cowboy culture" are your thing, then Cheyenne is alright... but I was never a fan. Just felt like stockyards and refineries (not even sure if there were stockyards or refineries.. but that's what the town felt like to me).

I did like to drive a little West of there after work and climb/fish around Vedauwoo, though.

Denver is completely overpriced and overrun, but it's a damned nice place to live and visit.

Monty
01-04-2019, 09:59 AM

Stay in Cheyenne.

That's good to know. We can stop by on our way to the Black Hills every year. :toast:

I grew up in Wyoming: Rock Springs, Gillette, and Riverton.

Monty
01-04-2019, 10:02 AM
I'm literally lol'ing at these guys talking about the superiority of Cheyenne to Denver. ROFL

I worked in Cheyenne for a few years, commuting up from Ft. Collins. I mean, I guess if isolation and "cowboy culture" are your thing, then Cheyenne is alright... but I was never a fan. Just felt like stockyards and refineries (not even sure if there were stockyards or refineries.. but that's what the town felt like to me).

I did like to drive a little West of there after work and climb/fish around Vedauwoo, though.

Denver is completely overpriced and overrun, but it's a damned nice place to live and visit.

I'd agree and the winds in Cheyenne going north to Gillette are horrible in the springtime. It's like a month of 35+ windy days before it calms back down. I prefer west of Laramie and anything around Jackson Hole.

NewChief
01-04-2019, 10:09 AM
I'd agree and the winds in Cheyenne going north to Gillette are horrible in the springtime. It's like a month of 35+ windy days before it calms back down. I prefer west of Laramie and anything around Jackson Hole.

Hah. I worked at Sierra Trading Post, and I'd often run from the HQ on my lunchbreak. It's located right off of I80, and there are railroad tracks runnning East/West right behind the store. I'd often run the trail along the railroad tracks. Man that wind was brutal. The first half of the run heading East was fine... then I'd turn around and hit the headwinds... ouch.

philfree
01-04-2019, 10:12 AM
So if I go through Fort Collins south to Denver on a Saturday their will be heavy traffic and possible traffic jams? Don't need that. I think we'll just go back the way we came. I-80.

Now when I come into KC headed south on I 29 can I still access 435 from 210 E. I've gone that way many times in the past going back and forth from South Dakota on hunting trips but it seems they've changed it.

NewChief
01-04-2019, 10:18 AM
So if I go through Fort Collins south to Denver on a Saturday their will be heavy traffic and possible traffic jams? Don't need that. I think we'll just go back the way we came. I-80.

Yes. It's awful on a Saturday due to people heading to the mountains for the weekend to ski.

I80 is more scenic, imo, as well if you're talking about from I25 East. West of Denver, I70 is obviously more scenic as it goes straight through the mountains. East of Denver/Cheyenne, I prefer i80 for scenery, though. Nebraska is prettier than Eastern Colorado and Western Kansas, though it's a pretty tight race. :D

philfree
01-04-2019, 10:27 AM
Yes. It's awful on a Saturday due to people heading to the mountains for the weekend to ski.

I80 is more scenic, imo, as well if you're talking about from I25 East. West of Denver, I70 is obviously more scenic as it goes straight through the mountains. East of Denver/Cheyenne, I prefer i80 for scenery, though. Nebraska is prettier than Eastern Colorado and Western Kansas, though it's a pretty tight race. :D

Nebraska or Kansas for scenery is a pretty tight race for this Missouri boy. Can't wait to get into KC though. Think I'll stay in Overland Park and then eat some Jack Stack before heading home to Springfield.

Dartgod
01-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Now when I come into KC headed south on I 29 can I still access 435 from 210 E. I've gone that way many times in the past going back and forth from South Dakota on hunting trips but it seems they've changed it.

You can, but that whole 210/435 interchange is being redone. The exit to 435S now takes you to an intersection and you just take a right onto the 435S ramp. It's not bad.

Donger
01-04-2019, 10:37 AM
I'm driving from Elko, Nevada to Kansas City.

Are you being punished?

Tonka83
01-04-2019, 10:39 AM
You can, but that whole 210/435 interchange is being redone. The exit to 435S now takes you to an intersection and you just take a right onto the 435S ramp. It's not bad.

Or just continue on 435-N past Worlds of fun to the next interchange, which is I-35. Take I-35 south a couple of miles to hit I-29 North. Very little time difference from using 210 and no traffic lights.

edit: or vise-versa if you are heading south.

Rain Man
01-04-2019, 10:56 AM
I don't know about I-80, but I can't imagine much being more boring than driving across Kansas on I-70.

I can't explain why, but I don't mind driving those stretches at all. I think the big vistas are much more interesting than driving through a big tunnel of trees like you see in many parts of the eastern U.S.

philfree
01-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Are you being punished?

LOL If it was just a one week stay we would have flown to Salt Lake City and rented a SUV but for a 3 week stay I figured we'd just save the money and drive out. I used credit card points so the motel/hotel expense didn't cost me a dollar. And the people we rent the lodge from only charged us half price because we're Grand parents coming to see our grand kids instead of a bunch of yaywhos who are going to jump out of a helicopter with skis on.

philfree
01-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Or just continue on 435-N past Worlds of fun to the next interchange, which is I-35. Take I-35 south a couple of miles to hit I-29 North. Very little time difference from using 210 and no traffic lights.

edit: or vise-versa if you are heading south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post

That's good info and much appreciated.

Bugeater
01-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Have you bought yet? Is it a done deal?
Not yet, have to get our place here sold first. It goes on the market next week.

:#
What are you doing here? You're supposed to be working.

We stayed in Cheyenne on the 22nd of Dec. and we ate at the Rib & Chop House. Is that the best place?
We have not been there, but we really liked Sanford's downtown.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1p69Ek4gIo7EQ" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen="" width="364" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>via GIPHY (https://giphy.com/gifs/shocked-1p69Ek4gIo7EQ)

I've stayed in Denver numerous times and never had a good experience. However, we did stay in Golden one time and it wasn't too bad other than the horrendous BBQ place that I should've known better than to go to.

Bugeater
01-04-2019, 11:39 AM
If you have time to spare go check out Scottsbluff National Monument. It's a bit out of the way but worth the trip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AunGt-fawkQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>