PDA

View Full Version : Football Can Los Angeles ever love the Chargers?

Kiimo
01-04-2019, 03:15 PM
https://deadspin.com/can-los-angeles-ever-love-the-chargers-1830571076?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=deadspin_twitter

The answer, of course, is NO.

I've been listening to sports radio all week. It's all Lakers and if there's any football it's Rams.

The Chargers are in the playoffs and nobody gives a CRAP. They need to force Spanos to sell the team and get them an owner who actually has liquid capital to rebuild Qualcomm. This is not working.

ptlyon
01-04-2019, 03:17 PM
When the NFL gifts them a SB they will

Shag
01-04-2019, 03:18 PM
https://deadspin.com/can-los-angeles-ever-love-the-chargers-1830571076?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=deadspin_twitter

The answer, of course, is NO.

I've been listening to sports radio all week. It's all Lakers and if there's any football it's Rams.

The Chargers are in the playoffs and nobody gives a CRAP. They need to force Spanos to sell the team and get them an owner who actually has liquid capital to rebuild Qualcomm. This is not working.

A referendum passed in Nov to give SDSU access to the Qualcomm stadium land, so that ship may have passed.

TinyEvel
01-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Nope. I grew up there. Too much to do. Too many people from other places. No legacy nor history. Barely even a Rams town. Once Rivers is gone it will be really tough to fill a stadium. It will be a destination for visiting teams. Would you like to plan a trip to LA in December to see your Chiefs and enjoy 70 degree weather? Thought so.

Eleazar
01-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Roger Goodell isn’t worried about Los Mexico City Chargeros in the least.

suzzer99
01-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Los Angeles barely loves the teams they do have. They like the Rams now but will forget about them as soon as they slip to .500.

I was in a brew pub during a Dodgers WS game and maybe 10% of the people were paying any attention to the game.

ChiliConCarnage
01-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Yes, go on a patriots type run of success or something close

Spott
01-04-2019, 03:36 PM
I like them being in LA because it’s like having another home game each year when our fans fill up half the stadium.

ChiefBlueCFC
01-04-2019, 03:41 PM
still call them san diego bc they are san diego dont care where they are

Frazod
01-04-2019, 03:46 PM
I like them being in LA because it’s like having another home game each year when our fans fill up half the stadium.

It was more like two-thirds, IIRC.

morphius
01-04-2019, 03:57 PM

That is what I figure will happen this year, sadly. If it does, I might take a further step back from the NFL for feeling way too rigged.

Hoover
01-04-2019, 04:06 PM
Stupid to put two NFL teams in LA.

Just go back to San Diego, or put them in Mexico City, I don't give a shit.

Sofa King
01-04-2019, 04:13 PM

Yikes. What did NFL players do to piss you off so bad you want them to have to go to Mexico City.

Hoover
01-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Yikes. What did NFL players do to piss you off so bad you want them to have to go to Mexico City.

Well its coming. So might as well jump in with both feet.

I do think the players would have an issue with that.

carcosa
01-04-2019, 04:27 PM
No

T-post Tom
01-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Put 'em in Reno. ;)

CoMoChief
01-04-2019, 04:41 PM

Sadly I even doubt that

frozenchief
01-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Chargers can’t go back. Terms of their move with the NFL and their stadium lease prevent them from leaving for 25 years or so.

Shiver Me Timbers
01-04-2019, 04:43 PM
They will be back in San Diego within 10 years.

Deberg_1990
01-04-2019, 04:59 PM
No.

Many other cities would show them more love.

But it’s all about the money and who would build them a billion dollar stadium

FloridaMan88
01-04-2019, 05:29 PM

Seems like the only two team scenario that would work in LA are the Rams and Raiders.

The NFL should have moved the Raiders back to LA and the Chargers to Las Vegas.

Valiant
01-04-2019, 06:22 PM

If Mexico got a team it would be moved in 3years as a player or staff and/or family would be kidnapped or murdered.

HemiEd
01-04-2019, 06:27 PM
No.

Many other cities would show them more love.

But it’s all about the money and who would build them a billion dollar stadium

Actually they are going to be joint tenants in a new 5 billion dollar stadium soon. If they win and gain successful exposure now it will obviously go farther to fill that place than losing games.

htismaqe
01-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Salt Lake City. Rivers would fit in great there...

DaFace
01-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Nope. I grew up there. Too much to do. Too many people from other places. No legacy nor history. Barely even a Rams town. Once Rivers is gone it will be really tough to fill a stadium. It will be a destination for visiting teams. Would you like to plan a trip to LA in December to see your Chiefs and enjoy 70 degree weather? Thought so.I went to LA last year with a high of 80. Went to Arrowhead this year with a high of 30. It was fun to do LA once, but I'll still take Arrowhead any time.

kysirsoze
01-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Answer to the OP is a hard no. Rams took up all the oxygen. If the Rams completely fall off and Chargers stay great, maybe, but I NEVER see Chargers gear around here. I saw more Chargers gear in LA when they were in San Diego. I know several LA based Chargers fans that ditched them when they moved. I see Rams stuff everywhere. Everyday. Even the grocery stores and shit stock Rams stuff over Chargers 10-1.

They'll be here a while of course, but if they really can't go back to SD, then I would think after 5 years or so of this they'll HAVE to be looking elsewhere. I'd really rather the Chiefs don't have to travel to Mexico City twice a year.

big nasty kcnut
01-04-2019, 07:17 PM
No no one give a shit about the chargers. Make the owner sell the team and move back to San Diego where it can go fuck themselves.

Halfcan
01-04-2019, 11:29 PM
Chargers will be one and done after getting another beat down by the Ravens.

The media will still be saying they had an Amazing season and Rivers is incredible- even though he will choke again this weekend.

GloryDayz
01-04-2019, 11:42 PM
No.

01-05-2019, 12:10 AM
Nope. I grew up there. Too much to do. Too many people from other places. No legacy nor history. Barely even a Rams town. Once Rivers is gone it will be really tough to fill a stadium. It will be a destination for visiting teams. Would you like to plan a trip to LA in December to see your Chiefs and enjoy 70 degree weather? Thought so.

Would love to see the Chiefs play in SF, LA and Vegas.

suzzer99
01-05-2019, 12:13 AM
The problem with LA and San Diego is there's just too much else do to when it's sunny and 60 degrees all winter.

Oh the home team kinda sucks this year? Guess I'll just go surfing/skiing/hiking/rollerblading/whatever.

MMXcalibur
01-05-2019, 01:46 AM
I love having the Chargers in LA.
It feels like Arrowhead West every time.

HemiEd
01-05-2019, 06:14 AM
No no one give a shit about the chargers. Make the owner sell the team and move back to San Diego where it can go fuck themselves.

This, goldarnit.

displacedinMN
01-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Chargers painted themselves into a corner. Spanos is an idiot.

Refused to put money into a new stadium in SD
Alienated a fan base
Moved into a crap venue into a market that does not care about football
Was allowed to use the new LA stadium. They are still going to be visitors in" their own" stadium.

There is no where for the chargers to go. What market could handle or want to take them? London or SD are the only options.

Can the NFL force Spanos to sell the team?

Bad owners make bad teams.

GloryDayz
01-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Alienated a fan base
Was allowed to use the new LA stadium. They are still going to be visitors in" their own" stadium.

There is no where for the chargers to go. What market could handle or want to take them? London or SD are the only options.

Our own experience suggests not. At least not until the violation has more to do with non-football things.

GloucesterChief
01-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Alienated a fan base

I mean there is still San Antonio, Monterrey MX, and Mexico City MX in North America.

displacedinMN
01-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Heard that the Stadium in San Antonio has issues. Not sure what.
Yes its Texas-but...how does it stack up market size to other cities?
Then Mexico. Possibly.

GloucesterChief
01-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Heard that the Stadium in San Antonio has issues. Not sure what.
Yes its Texas-but...how does it stack up market size to other cities?
Then Mexico. Possibly.

San Antonio - Austin is growing towards each other. Expected to be about 5.7 million or more people by 2030.

Chiefshrink
01-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Answer to the OP is a hard no. Rams took up all the oxygen. If the Rams completely fall off and Chargers stay great, maybe, but I NEVER see Chargers gear around here. I saw more Chargers gear in LA when they were in San Diego. I know several LA based Chargers fans that ditched them when they moved. I see Rams stuff everywhere. Everyday. Even the grocery stores and shit stock Rams stuff over Chargers 10-1.

They'll be here a while of course, but if they really can't go back to SD, then I would think after 5 years or so of this they'll HAVE to be looking elsewhere. I'd really rather the Chiefs don't have to travel to Mexico City twice a year.

:clap: I agree Rams have more of a richer history locally and historically in the NFL than the Chargers and the fanbase won't budge for another team in their back yard. Kinda of like the Clippers.:rolleyes::shrug:

I.E. to Mexico City it beats the heck out of flying to England. Not that the Chargers would move to England that obviously wouldn't happen BUT I wish the NFL would just give up on this whole Europe NFL thing. League play and playoffs would not work based on time difference and would be an almost automatic loss for the visiting team most of the time and vice versa, but that's another discussion.