PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Colts have $120 million in cap space...

BlackOp
01-05-2019, 11:35 PM
I dont think the 2018 Colts have enough firepower to compete with the Chiefs. Many of their fans only know KC from the Rams/Seahawks game...where Sammy Watkins didn't play. They forget the Chiefs have a legit #1 WR opposite of Hill and his 1400+ yards.

That said...they have $120 million of cap space next year. Ballard is going to build a monster in Indy. Can you imagine Bell behind that line? Hell...they could afford Brown too...

Colts are going to be KC's biggest competition post the Brady/Big Rape era...

Titty Meat
01-05-2019, 11:36 PM
K

BlackOp
01-05-2019, 11:43 PM
K

K what....

They have the 2nd best QB in the AFC....and an almost unlimited amount of money to hand pick whoever they want.

They are going to get really good...really quick.

Wallcrawler
01-05-2019, 11:49 PM
K what....

They have the 2nd best QB in the AFC....and an almost unlimited amount of money to hand pick whoever they want.

Nobody gives a flying fuck about the colts or their asshole deserter gm Chris Ballard.

BlackOp
01-05-2019, 11:50 PM
Think about it...all the people who helped build this team are succeeding. Ballard and Dorsey are battling it out for GM of the year. Both their teams have completely turned around. Nagy has the Bears in the playoffs and winning the division. Pederson just won the Superbowl with KC's back-up QB...

Amazing amount of talent stemming from the Chiefs right now...

BlackOp
01-05-2019, 11:51 PM
Nobody gives a flying **** about the colts or their asshole deserter gm Chris Ballard.

Colts are going to be KC's main competition going forward....you will give a shit in a season or two.

Halfcan
01-05-2019, 11:54 PM
Typically, throwing tons of money at aging vets does not work out. Bell is a dumbass and would be perfect to soak up their cap room. How motivated will he be after getting paid?

Colts have not beaten anyone this year. Whereas the Chiefs are battle tested playing the best teams in the NFL.

Hoover
01-05-2019, 11:55 PM
Why spend the money on Bell? Mack is a nice back anyway

pugsnotdrugs19
01-05-2019, 11:56 PM
They definitely have a chance to put together one hell of a team. It’ll be interesting to see how Ballard uses that cap room because I can’t really see him blowing it on Bell or Brown.

Direckshun
01-05-2019, 11:57 PM
They’re not going to be able to recruit $120m of talent.

Which means they’re going to hand out ridiculous money to players that won’t deserve it and get royally wrecked when the cap stops spiking upward.

Same thing happened in the NBA.

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:00 AM
Why spend the money on Bell? Mack is a nice back anyway

Becuase Bell is an all-pro talent...who doubles as a WR. Pairing him with Luck would not be good...

Like him or not...he's a bad-ass player.

Fuck...I hope they dont go after Hunt.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-06-2019, 12:00 AM
I wonder how much they have to spend to reach the floor? Would think it’s a lot.

And like Direckshun suggested, that means they’ll end up having to intentionally overpay some players just to meet the floor. Dorsey did similar things last offseason in Cleveland it appears.

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:03 AM
Bell is a dumbass

Please explain this take....the Steelers royally jerked him around. I dont blame him a bit for telling them to go fuck themselves.

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:07 AM
I wonder how much they have to spend to reach the floor? Would think it’s a lot.

And like Direckshun suggested, that means they’ll end up having to intentionally overpay some players just to meet the floor. Dorsey did similar things last offseason in Cleveland it appears.

They almost have too...which is why I think they go after Bell. That guy has been a Chiefs killer...

Rule of thumb...never pass on a chance to pick up an all-pro in his prime. They are the best at what they do for a reason...it almost always works out.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-06-2019, 12:08 AM
You take a look at their roster and you see pretty quick why they have $120 million. They just don’t have that many dudes, especially on defense.

Darius Leonard and Malik Hooker come to mind, but they’re on cheap rookie deals. Outside of that, there just isn’t much talent to work with. Offensively is the same story, with most of their studs on rookie deals.

Halfcan
01-06-2019, 12:13 AM
Please explain this take....the Steelers royally jerked him around. I dont blame him a bit for telling them to go **** themselves.

You don't think it is dumb to sit out and throw away that kind of money? :shake:

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:14 AM
You take a look at their roster and you see pretty quick why they have $120 million. They just don’t have that many dudes, especially on defense.

Darius Leonard and Malik Hooker come to mind, but they’re on cheap rookie deals. Outside of that, there just isn’t much talent to work with. Offensively is the same story, with most of their studs on rookie deals.

I think they have an additional 2019 high 2nd rounder for trading with the Jets (Darnold)...they got THREE 2nd round picks for dropping 3 spots and landing an all-pro in Nelson.

Ballard aced that shit...

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-06-2019, 12:15 AM
After Saturday the Colts can focus on their off season plans.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-06-2019, 12:16 AM
I think they have an additional 2019 high 2nd rounder for trading with the Jets (Darnold)...they got THREE 2nd round picks for dropping 3 spots and landing an all-pro in Nelson.

Ballard aced that shit...

Yeah, it’s too bad he doesn’t have to make him the highest paid guard ever yet. But he will...

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:17 AM
You don't think it is dumb to sit out and throw away that kind of money? :shake:

No...because he's only 28. They franchised him a 2nd time...which is only a one year deal. They planned on grinding him into the dirt and discarding him. If he gets $40 million guaranteed in his next deal...it beats the $14 million he would have got this year.

He could have been injured and lost $26 million..it was a long-range strategy.

ntexascardfan
01-06-2019, 12:19 AM
They don't need more offensive talent, they need a pass rush and some help in the secondary.

Improving their defense is where they stand the most to gain this off-season.

Halfcan
01-06-2019, 12:22 AM
No...because he's only 28. They franchised him a 2nd time...which is only a one year deal. They planned on grinding him into the dirt and discarding him. If he gets $40 million guaranteed in his next deal...it beats the $14 million he would have got this year.

He could have been injured and lost $26 million..it was a long-range strategy.

Or, he could have banked that, played hard, made the Playoffs and used another great year of stats to get an even larger contract.

Sitting out a year is a bad look. I wouldn't throw 40 mil at him. He is not a team player and is all about the money. His replacement showed that teams don't have to pay for production at the running back spot.

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:23 AM
They don't need more offensive talent, they need a pass rush and some help in the secondary.

Improving their defense is where they stand the most to gain this off-season.

They need another WR for sure. Hilton goes down and they have nothing. Bell would improve that offense dramatically...IMO.

Halfcan
01-06-2019, 12:24 AM
They need another WR for sure. Hilton goes down and they have nothing. Bell would improve that offense dramatically...IMO.

Plus, Luck will be coming off a second major surgery going into next year after getting slammed to the turf at Arrowhead.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-06-2019, 12:25 AM
We’re gonna get a feel Saturday for just how good they are at this stage in their build... because I really do see a major lack of star power in many key areas.

The QBs they’ve beat up on in the last 11 games:

Derek Anderson
Derek Carr
Blake Bortles
Gabbert/Mariota
Ryan Tannehill
Cody Kessler
Deshaun Watson
Dak Prescott
Eli Manning
Blaine Gabbert
Deshaun Watson

Let’s see what they look like against Mahomes...

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:27 AM
Or, he could have banked that, played hard, made the Playoffs and used another great year of stats to get an even larger contract.

Sitting out a year is a bad look. I wouldn't throw 40 mil at him. He is not a team player and is all about the money. His replacement showed that teams don't have to pay for production at the running back spot.

Dude..the Steelers tried to **** him over...then released misleading contract information to the press.

It's a bad look for the Steelers...for ****ing over their all-pro RB that just agreed to a franchise tag the year before. They were trying to be cheap. Bell deserved a contract extension and they were ****ing with him. This is his time to get a "2nd contract"...and they were trying to milk it.

Prison Bitch
01-06-2019, 12:27 AM
Q

chiefforlife
01-06-2019, 12:28 AM
I dont think anyone is going to give Bell what he wants. He overvalued himself and it will cost him. RBs are clearly not going to command that kind of money anymore. You can get a league leading rusher in the third round or even an UDFA for cheap.

I could see the Colts going after AB or OBJ. That would be scary.

Halfcan
01-06-2019, 12:30 AM
Dude..the Steelers tried to **** him over...then released misleading contract information to the press.

It's a bad look for the Steelers...for ****ing over their all-pro RB that just agreed to a franchise tag the year before. They were trying to be cheap. Bell deserved a contract extension and they were ****ing with him. This is his time to get a "2nd contract"...and they were trying to milk it.

I am not siding with the dickhead Steelers, that move cost them the Playoffs, which is what they deserved. I just would have taken the money. When someone is giving you a large amount of money, you take it. I can't even imagine leaving that kind of money on the table. Seems really dumb.

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:31 AM
We’re gonna get a feel Saturday for just how good they are at this stage in their build... because I really do see a major lack of star power in many key areas.

Derek Anderson
Derek Carr
Blake Bortles
Gabbert/Mariota
Ryan Tannehill
Cody Kessler
Deshaun Watson
Dak Prescott
Eli Manning
Blaine Gabbert
Deshaun Watson

They arent that good...you dont get shut out against the Jags under any circumstances. They are in transition...playing a last place schedule. It's what happened to KC in 2013...Chiefs are the first contending team they've played this season besides the Pats.

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:33 AM
I dont think anyone is going to give Bell what he wants.

I guarantee you he gets his money...Colts, Jets...there teams with cap to burn. He's a proven all-pro. His stats are up there with some the best to ever play...that's not as easy to find as you are saying.

That's the difference being great...or just good.

Watson is good...Luck is great.

scho63
01-06-2019, 12:36 AM
Who gives a fuck and why start this dumb thread now?

You are a fragrant douche!

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 12:43 AM
Who gives a **** and why start this dumb thread now?

You are a fragrant douche!

I think you mean flagrant...but I do smell nice. :)

I posted it as I just became aware of their situation by going to their forums. $120 million is a shit load of space for a team with a top QB.

Buehler445
01-06-2019, 01:05 AM

Derek Anderson
Derek Carr
Blake Bortles
Gabbert/Mariota
Ryan Tannehill
Cody Kessler
Deshaun Watson
Dak Prescott
Eli Manning
Blaine Gabbert
Deshaun Watson

WHAT THE MOTHERFUCKING FUCK? Derek Anderson is still in the league?!?! He’s made quite a nice slice of pie off of beating a shit Chiefs team.

I feel the “Because Chiefs” bug crawling around in my ear.

BlackOp
01-06-2019, 01:09 AM
WHAT THE MOTHER****ING ****? Derek Anderson is still in the league?!?! He’s made quite a nice slice of pie off of beating a shit Chiefs team.

I feel the “Because Chiefs” bug crawling around in my ear.

Nope..not this year. Chiefs are legitimately the best AFC team this season...with a 1st team all-pro QB. That's never happened....this isn't Alex Smith.

Mahomes is a straight baller...

kccrow
01-06-2019, 02:16 AM
K what....

They are going to have money but you're blinded by one number and not looking at the entire picture.

Item 1: They have a lot of talent, and starting talent at that, to retain or replace this offseason.

Here's the FA list:

WR #4 Ryan Grant (not a resign I'd think)
PK Adam Vinatieri (probably retires)
RG #1 Matt Slauson (doubt they re-sign but they may because of his leadership)
NT #1 Margus Hunt (should re-sign)
DT #1 Al Woods (should re-sign)
CB #1 Pierre Desir (should re-sign)
RG #2 Mark Glowinski (should re-sign)
TE #2 Ryan Hewitt (50/50)
RT #2 J'Marcus Webb (50/50)
SS #3 Mike Mitchell (depends on who they re-sign because they lose all 4 SSs on their roster this year)
SLB #1 Najee Goode (should re-sign)
SS #4 J.J. Wilcox (see Mitchell)
WR #2 Dontrelle Inman (probably will re-sign)
DE #5 Geneo Grissom (doubt they re-sign)
SS #1 Clayton Geathers (should re-sign)
OC #2 Josh Andrews (50/50)
FS #3 Corey Moore (see Mitchell)
OG #4/OC #3 Evan Boehm (may resign because of versatility)
RB #4 Jonathan Williams (doubt they re-sign)
LS #1 Luke Rhodes (should re-sign)
CB #5 Chris Milton (??)
DB #? Ronald Martin (doubt they re-sign)
SS# 2 Matthias Farley (see Mitchell)
TE #3 Ross Travis (doubt they re-sign)
WR #3/KR #1 Chester Rogers (will definitely try to re-sign)
WR #? Marcus Johnson (??)
QB #3 Brad Kaaya (50/50)

That's a lot of bodies to replace and most teams wouldn't do it all with street free agents. They'll look to bring quite a few of those starters back, upgrade some spots, and try to retain the younger guys.

Plus they have the following 2020 free agents on tap they may want to extend.
LT #1 Anthony Castonzo
DE #1 Jabaal Sheard
TE #1 Eric Ebron

Item 2: The minimum is not a minimum cap spend, it's a minimum cash spend. From the years 2017 to 2020, teams must pay 89% of the overall cap as cash to players. This is cumulative and not annual. Teams that are below the threshold will tend to give bigger bonuses and salaries up front to help offset this requirement. That doesn't mean, necessarily, that they are going to drop 123 million on free agents because they have that in cap space.

RunKC
01-06-2019, 11:45 AM
I could see them spending big on a pass rusher like Demarcus Lawrence.

Chiefshrink
01-06-2019, 12:07 PM

:clap::clap:

More often than not you are never the same player when you sit out a year and then try to come back. And to your point Half, Bell has possibly Terrell Owens/Dez Bryanted himself as well being waaaay too much of a Diva about this whole thing. Dollars to donuts he does not get the big contract he thinks he is getting. He should fire his agent after this is all over with because he will lose a lot of $$ for sure IMHO. The only real NFL position that can afford to be a somewhat of a Diva is the QB position and even then that QB better be top tier MVP like talent to pull it off.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
01-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Their unstable owner called their franchise QB unstable. Money is no cure-all

Hoopsdoc
01-06-2019, 12:39 PM
I dont think the 2018 Colts have enough firepower to compete with the Chiefs. Many of their fans only know KC from the Rams/Seahawks game...where Sammy Watkins didn't play. They forget the Chiefs have a legit #1 WR opposite of Hill and his 1400+ yards.

That said...they have $120 million of cap space next year. Ballard is going to build a monster in Indy. Can you imagine Bell behind that line? Hell...they could afford Brown too...

Colts are going to be KC's biggest competition post the Brady/Big Rape era...

I’ll be livid if the Colts sign Bell. Mack gives us 75 percent of the production at a fraction of the cost.

Hoopsdoc
01-06-2019, 12:46 PM
They are going to have money but you're blinded by one number and not looking at the entire picture.

Item 1: They have a lot of talent, and starting talent at that, to retain or replace this offseason.

Here's the FA list:

WR #4 Ryan Grant (not a resign I'd think)
PK Adam Vinatieri (probably retires)
RG #1 Matt Slauson (doubt they re-sign but they may because of his leadership)
NT #1 Margus Hunt (should re-sign)
DT #1 Al Woods (should re-sign)
CB #1 Pierre Desir (should re-sign)
RG #2 Mark Glowinski (should re-sign)
TE #2 Ryan Hewitt (50/50)
RT #2 J'Marcus Webb (50/50)
SS #3 Mike Mitchell (depends on who they re-sign because they lose all 4 SSs on their roster this year)
SLB #1 Najee Goode (should re-sign)
SS #4 J.J. Wilcox (see Mitchell)
WR #2 Dontrelle Inman (probably will re-sign)
DE #5 Geneo Grissom (doubt they re-sign)
SS #1 Clayton Geathers (should re-sign)
OC #2 Josh Andrews (50/50)
FS #3 Corey Moore (see Mitchell)
OG #4/OC #3 Evan Boehm (may resign because of versatility)
RB #4 Jonathan Williams (doubt they re-sign)
LS #1 Luke Rhodes (should re-sign)
CB #5 Chris Milton (??)
DB #? Ronald Martin (doubt they re-sign)
SS# 2 Matthias Farley (see Mitchell)
TE #3 Ross Travis (doubt they re-sign)
WR #3/KR #1 Chester Rogers (will definitely try to re-sign)
WR #? Marcus Johnson (??)
QB #3 Brad Kaaya (50/50)

That's a lot of bodies to replace and most teams wouldn't do it all with street free agents. They'll look to bring quite a few of those starters back, upgrade some spots, and try to retain the younger guys.

Plus they have the following 2020 free agents on tap they may want to extend.
LT #1 Anthony Castonzo
DE #1 Jabaal Sheard
TE #1 Eric Ebron

Item 2: The minimum is not a minimum cap spend, it's a minimum cash spend. From the years 2017 to 2020, teams must pay 89% of the overall cap as cash to players. This is cumulative and not annual. Teams that are below the threshold will tend to give bigger bonuses and salaries up front to help offset this requirement. That doesn't mean, necessarily, that they are going to drop 123 million on free agents because they have that in cap space.

Grant won’t be resigned. Lost his starting job to Inman.
Resign Vinatieri, if he wants to keep playing.
Slauson should be let go, Glowinski is better.
Hunt, Desir, Glowinski should be resigned.
Woods is beyond 30, draft his replacement.
Hewitt, Mitchell, Webb, Goode, and Wilcox should be let go.
As for the rest, Geathers and Inman should be priority resignings. Farley is a capable backup.

CupidStunt
01-06-2019, 01:03 PM
If they're fortunate enough to be able to actually spend that on elite players then they could be an elite team, but people act like they're currently an elite team + $120m = dynasty. They are a very, very average type of team, reminiscent of our 1-5 team that also went on a fluke run vs bad teams to eek into the playoffs. Also, winning a playoff game (vs a bad team) really doesn't mean shit. See our win vs Houston. Even the 7-9 Seahawks won a playoff game.

It's going to be a boring rhetoric in the media, but at least it's not the Cowboys or we'd never, ever hear the end of this.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-06-2019, 01:08 PM
If they're fortunate enough to be able to actually spend that on elite players then they could be an elite team, but people act like they're currently an elite team + $120m = dynasty. They are a very, very average type of team, reminiscent of our 1-5 team that also went on a fluke run vs bad teams to eek into the playoffs. Also, winning a playoff game (vs a bad team) really doesn't mean shit. See our win vs Houston. Even the 7-9 Seahawks won a playoff game.

It's going to be a boring rhetoric in the media, but at least it's not the Cowboys or we'd never, ever hear the end of this.

Exactly this.

And I’ll be the first to say that I think Indy is likely KCs biggest AFC competition the next 5 years. But truthfully the roster is filled with JAGs. Especially on defense. They are riding a great QB/OL combo and it has been good enough to win games against a lot of bad teams/QBs. I’ll be surprised if it takes them any further.

They need that cap space to take the next steps.

SAUTO
01-06-2019, 01:13 PM

That was my point when this was brought up the other day.

This has all been discussed in the past week.

PutQuinnIn
01-06-2019, 03:44 PM
They almost have too...which is why I think they go after Bell. That guy has been a Chiefs killer...

Rule of thumb...never pass on a chance to pick up an all-pro in his prime. They are the best at what they do for a reason...it almost always works out.

(Marcus Allen leaving Raiders for Chiefs)

Rivaldo
01-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Fragrant Douche itt

could be Goat