PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Replay shows Parkey's kick was tipped

Eleazar
01-07-2019, 07:19 AM
Replay shows Cody Parkey's missed kick was possibly tipped

Cody Parkey is having a rough end to the weekend with the Chicago Bears. He missed what could have been a game-winning field goal for the organization against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday afternoon and it knocked Chicago out of the first round of the playoffs. He has been criticized heavily on social media and by media pundits for his performance, but one Eagles defender may have gotten his hand on the football.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here’s a frame-by-frame look that clearly shows the Parkey kick was tipped by Treyvon Hester (Hester confirmed to <a href="https://twitter.com/Bo_Wulf?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Bo_Wulf</a> he tipped it). <a href="https://t.co/6dOXui7Yyp">pic.twitter.com/6dOXui7Yyp</a></p>&mdash; Scott Gustin (@ScottGustin) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1082095504970919936?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 7, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Scott Gustin of Tribune Media posted the frame-by-frame shot above. It appears in the clip that the ball may have hit off a defenders hand. Eagles defensive lineman Treyvon Hester confirmed after the game that he had tipped the ball, via Bo Wulf of The Athletic Philadelphia.

Parkey had a chance to change the narrative surrounding himself with the kick but the ball went off the upright and then off the crossbar before falling to the turf. The entire life of the stadium was sucked out on the play and players such as Mitch Trubisky and Akiem Hicks were spotted on the sidelines in pure disbelief of the miss. After the game, a dejected Parkey commented on the miss.

"I thought I hit a good ball and unfortunately I didn’t make it," Parkey said after the game, via JJ Stankevitz of NBC Sports Chicago. "I feel terrible. I 100 percent take that loss on me. It is what it is. But sun’s gonna shine tomorrow, life’s gonna go on and unfortunately it’s going to sting for a while."

The veteran kicker joined the Bears this offseason as a free-agent signing. Parkey spent the 2014-15 seasons with the Eagles before joining the Cleveland Browns in 2016. During his time in Cleveland, he worked with current Bears special teams coordinator Chris Tabor. He spent the entire 2016 season with the Miami Dolphins. He entered the year having made 86.4 percent of his attempts in his career going 76-of-88 over the previous four seasons. He made 6-of-7 attempts from 50-plus yards but was just 18-of-27 from 40-49 yards out.

Accuracy was the name of Parkey's game entering the year and the Bears knew he struggled with long kicks. He ended the regular season by making just 23 of his 30 field-goal attempts. After knocking four kicks off the uprights against the Detroit Lions back in Week 10, Parkey won the NFC's Special Teams Player of the Week the following week against the Minnesota Vikings. It became headline news in Chicago when he was spotted practicing his kicks at Soldier Field at night with helicopters recording his practice from above.

Head coach Matt Nagy was firmly on Parkey's side all season long despite the misses.

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Cody-Parkey-missed-kick-tipped-127435870/

TEX
01-07-2019, 07:30 AM
Yep. It was tipped. Media is jumping all over it to make sure everyone knows it.

TambaBerry
01-07-2019, 07:30 AM
he of all people should have known the kick was tipped

01-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Yep. It was tipped. Media is jumping all over it to make sure everyone knows it.Doesn't matter. Doesn't give him a pass for the other misses. Dude will be toast. Fans hate him.

Think about it. If That Kickers last kick in 95 was partially tipped, would it have changed your opinion of him?

Mile High Mania
01-07-2019, 07:37 AM
Still, that guy had a rough year.

MIAdragon
01-07-2019, 07:39 AM
Still, that guy had a rough year.

You’ve got one fucking job.

rhinson1380
01-07-2019, 07:39 AM
Doesn't matter. Doesn't give him a pass for the other misses. Dude will be toast. Fans hate him.

Think about it. If That Kickers last kick in 95 was partially tipped, would it have changed your opinion of him?

What’s funny is I saw his full $3.5m salary next year is already guaranteed. So he isn’t going anywhere.

farmerchief
01-07-2019, 07:43 AM
he of all people should have known the kick was tipped Not if he kept his head down, I doubt it, until it was past the line of scrimmage, then I would assume he looked up to follow the flight.

SuperBowl4
01-07-2019, 07:45 AM
His kick before the time out was PERFECT!

redfan
01-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Bears never should've cut Gould.

Flying High D
01-07-2019, 07:57 AM

They agree

srvy
01-07-2019, 08:11 AM
Kick it higher!

Jimkcchief88
01-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Bear fans so upset here in Chicago that they don’t even want to talk about it. I get it. My closest experience to this was years ago I attended a Chiefs game with my girlfriend who I later married. I believe it was 2011. December game, perfect weather, against the Raiders for a trip to the playoffs. Raiders blocked the game winning field goal to keep us out of the playoffs. We were sitting in the end zone and heard the sickest sound of the FG being blocked.

kcclone
01-07-2019, 09:03 AM
I'm assuming he packed up his locker and left with the intention of never stepping foot in the City of Chicago again?

Frazod
01-07-2019, 09:04 AM
On the train, going through Union Station, and walking to the office this morning, I didn't see ONE piece of Bears gear. Not one.

It is also cold, windy and raining. Perfectly miserable day for Chicago fans.

Gravedigger
01-07-2019, 09:12 AM
He's a third of Elliott. Take a third of your anger for Elliott and that's where Bears fans are right now.

Frazod
01-07-2019, 09:14 AM
He's a third of Elliott. Take a third of your anger for Elliott and that's where Bears fans are right now.

WE DON'T UTTER THAT NAME HERE :#

Gravedigger
01-07-2019, 09:15 AM
WE DON'T UTTER THAT NAME HERE :#

This week's about letting go of the past, to move ahead towards the future. Either we're going to win or we won't, nothing we can do now but if we're going to the game to scream our guts out.

FloridaMan88
01-07-2019, 09:19 AM

Gould was 33/34 with his field goal % this year with the 49ers.

Yikes.

Looks like the Bears version of Nick Lowery for The Kicker Who Shall Not Be Named decision.

chiefzilla1501
01-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Feel bad for the dude. He can't blame the tip though it deflects a little bit.

Biggest guy to blame is Ryan pace. How did he not see this coming? Especially for a team that depends on field goals. Why do gms keep recycling kicker garbage when there are so many talented kickers coming out of college every year? Give credit to Dorsey and veach. Between Santos, butker, and Greg Joseph... They took chances on complete nobodies and they all did their job well.

Also cant punt blame from an offense that was mostly useless for 3.5 quarters. Or the #1 defense that gave up a go ahead score with a minute left. Can't blame it all on the kicker who kept you in the game for 3 quarters.

NWTF
01-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Feel bad for the dude. He can't blame the tip though it deflects a little bit.

Biggest guy to blame is Ryan pace. How did he not see this coming? Especially for a team that depends on field goals. Why do gms keep recycling kicker garbage when there are so many talented kickers coming out of college every year? Give credit to Dorsey and veach. Between Santos, butker, and Greg Joseph... They took chances on complete nobodies and they all did their job well.

Also cant punt blame from an offense that was mostly useless for 3.5 quarters. Or the #1 defense that gave up a go ahead score with a minute left. Can't blame it all on the kicker who kept you in the game for 3 quarters.

Agree with all of this.

I kept hearing The Bears at home with THAT defense.. no one's going in there and winning. My son-in-law said before the game this is why they gave up what they did for Khalil Mack.

That D is the superstar of that team. Have the lead with a couple min left with your superstar on the field to seal it. It was their time to shine in their house. Lets close this out. Its like the Chiefs or Pats taking possession down by one at home with a couple min left. You know they (Mahomes/Brady) got this. Its what they do. Thats who you want on the field to close it out, your team MVP. The Bears D choked in their moment.

The kicker will get the blame as he should for not doing what hes paid to do but man that #1 D let them go all the way down for the go ahead TD in the final minutes, and not that Mack is responsible for the entire D but where was he the entire game. Hell Chris Jones would of at least got a sack.

otherstar
01-07-2019, 10:27 AM
St. Joe native, and Chicago Special Teams Coordinator Chris Tabor has got to be feeling sick after that. Given that when Tabor was QB at Benedictine in our Senior year, the team lost deep in the playoffs on a doinked kick, doubly so.

Rain Man
01-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Bear fans so upset here in Chicago that they don’t even want to talk about it. I get it. My closest experience to this was years ago I attended a Chiefs game with my girlfriend who I later married. I believe it was 2011. December game, perfect weather, against the Raiders for a trip to the playoffs. Raiders blocked the game winning field goal to keep us out of the playoffs. We were sitting in the end zone and heard the sickest sound of the FG being blocked.

While it's unfortunate for Bears fans, it's happened to us on a regular basis for over 20 years.

Fortunately, we have a franchise quarterback so it's never happening again.

ptlyon
01-07-2019, 10:45 AM

And so do, the, bears?

Allison Chainz
01-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Any insight would be welcome... I mean he made it 30 seconds before when the time out was called.. What processes or malfunction led to the miss?

Rain Man
01-07-2019, 10:50 AM
And so do, the, bears?

He's not Patrick Mahomes II. Patrick Mahomes II is a franchise quarterback. Trubisky's only about 5/9ths of a franchise quarterback. He's a franc quarterback.

ptlyon
01-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Read n00b, read.

Donger
01-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Any insight would be welcome... I mean he made it 30 seconds before when the time out was called.. What processes or malfunction led to the miss?

Because it hit the upright. And tits.

ptlyon
01-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Because it hit the upright. And TWINS.

FYP

DJ's left nut
01-07-2019, 10:56 AM
While it's unfortunate for Bears fans, it's happened to us on a regular basis for over 20 years.

Exactly. The Bears just haven't had the necessary time to wash the "Chiefs" off Nagy yet. It took the Eagles a year to be clear of it with Pederson.

That game was so much like a half-dozen Chiefs playoff losses since the early 90's that it's laughable. The vaunted defense stumbles one more time than it could, the offense did nothing and the kicker who shouldn't have been that critical ended up slitting their throats.

That was just a Marty game through and through. I feel for 'em, but I'm not gonna act like it was some new level of losing. Chiefs fans have felt this pain before and with teams better equipped to win a championship than the '18 Bears were...

chiefzilla1501
01-07-2019, 11:03 AM
He's not Patrick Mahomes II. Patrick Mahomes II is a franchise quarterback. Trubisky's only about 5/9ths of a franchise quarterback. He's a franc quarterback.

Honestly if I'm the bears, this would worry me a lot more. Mitch made some big throws at the end of the game. But dude seems to have no idea how to move past his primary read. The defense was so damn good it covered up a lot of Trubiskys warts. And with fangio almost certain to be a goner, how long will that last?

BandwagonChiefsFan
01-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Replay shows I don't care

thabear04
01-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Doesn't matter. Doesn't give him a pass for the other misses. Dude will be toast. Fans hate him.

Kinda like that Vikings kicker who missed that FG against the Seahawks in the playoffs.

Stinger
01-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Replay shows I don't care

So you are saying this is not you?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You guys thought I was pissed ... <a href="https://t.co/mcMZLtqbHz">pic.twitter.com/mcMZLtqbHz</a></p>&mdash; Carl (@barstoolcarl) <a href="https://twitter.com/barstoolcarl/status/1082330630304788480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 7, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<twitter-widget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="1082330630304788480"></twitter-widget>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.8f9047c344e062fa7c7ada2fa8332f75.html?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com&settingsEndpoint=https%3A%2F%2Fsyndication.twitter.com%2Fsettings" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.8f9047c344e062fa7c7ada2fa8332f75.html?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com&settingsEndpoint=https%3A%2F%2Fsyndication.twitter.com%2Fsettings" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2019, 02:19 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2OnpXmAzawA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ryan Clark absolutely despises Kickers/Punters

CrazyPhuD
01-07-2019, 02:20 PM
On the train, going through Union Station, and walking to the office this morning, I didn't see ONE piece of Bears gear. Not one.

It is also cold, windy and raining. Perfectly miserable day for Chicago fans.

And you didn't wear your Cody Parker jersey to the office today????:shake:
What kind of fan are you?:harumph:

:D

jjchieffan
01-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Exactly. The Bears just haven't had the necessary time to wash the "Chiefs" off Nagy yet. It took the Eagles a year to be clear of it with Pederson.

That game was so much like a half-dozen Chiefs playoff losses since the early 90's that it's laughable. The vaunted defense stumbles one more time than it could, the offense did nothing and the kicker who shouldn't have been that critical ended up slitting their throats.

That was just a Marty game through and through. I feel for 'em, but I'm not gonna act like it was some new level of losing. Chiefs fans have felt this pain before and with teams better equipped to win a championship than the '18 Bears were...

This

notorious
01-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Fuck every single kicker. They only bring pain at our most vulnerable moments.

EyePod
01-07-2019, 02:28 PM
My favorite response was from a Bears fan on Twitter (rough from memory): "The only reason the kick almost went through was because of the tip! It probably would have went wide left if no one touched it!"

Frazod
01-07-2019, 02:34 PM
And you didn't wear your Cody Parker jersey to the office today????:shake:
What kind of fan are you?:harumph:

:D

One that wants to make it home alive, apparently. :D

DMAC
01-07-2019, 03:38 PM

ROFL

FAX
01-07-2019, 03:46 PM
I saw a report today that the NFL has reclassified the play as a "blocked kick" rather than a "missed FG".

Fair enough.

FAX

gblowfish
01-07-2019, 03:53 PM
PARKEY!!!!