PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFT: Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy to the Bengals as HC?

Dante84
01-10-2019, 04:49 PM
The great Cincinnati mystery could end in Eric Bieniemy (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/10/the-great-cincinnati-mystery-could-end-in-eric-bieniemy/)

The first puff of smoke has emerged from Cincinnati, in the form of multiple assistant coaches being relieved of their duties. This move implies plenty, and it invites plenty more speculation.

Here’s what folks around the league definitely believe: (1) the Bengals know who they want; (2) the person they want isn’t available to be hired yet (because his team is still playing); (3) the person they want has preliminarily indicated he wants the job; and (4) the person they want has indicated that he won’t want those assistant coaches to stick around.

There’s nothing else tangible at this point, although there’s an emerging belief that 81-year-old owner Mike Brown has delegated much of the decision-making on this next hire to his daughter, Katie Blackburn, and her husband, Troy. That’s sparking speculation that they indeed have gone out of the building for a new coach, that it likely will be an offensive-minded coach (the opposite of Marvin Lewis), and that it very well could be the next guy from a line of offensive coordinators who have become successful head coaches: Eric Bieniemy of the Chiefs.

Bieniemy addressed his situation with reporters on Wednesday.

“I’d like to thank coach [Andy] Reid for really trusting me and putting me in this situation to have this opportunity,” Bieniemy said. “Also, grateful that Clark [Hunt] and Mark [Donovan] would agree to allow me to be the coordinator. I will say this, I’ve said this to a few people that I’ve had the opportunity to speak to. Everyone should be blessed and fortunate to have that opportunity. It gives you the opportunity to see things from a different perspective, but on top of that it’s one of those things that, ‘Hey, you know what, I’ve been working a lot of years to be put in this situation to have this opportunity.’ But that was last week, this is now. Now, it’s on to the Colts.”

Watch the video of Bieniemy’s comments, which as noted by Joe Goodberry of TheAthletic.com include a smile that potentially gives away Bieniemy’s knowledge that he’s in the process of parlaying his opportunity to be the Kansas City offensive coordinator into a head-coaching job of his own.

The Bengals could do a lot worse (and, by considering Hue Jackson for the job, they almost did). Chiefs players have raved about Bieniemy, who succeeded Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson. At a time when Bengals fans aren’t raving about anything relating to their team, Bieniemy could be the key to turning things around.

ModSocks
01-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Fuck dudes, at some point we need an OC to stick for more than a season. I get it, Reid makes coaches, but we can't be flipping OC's every year. The well will eventually run dry.

ptlyon
01-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Reid is the OC

Dante84
01-10-2019, 04:56 PM
Mike Kafka, come on down! Next year, head on out!

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Yip. I felt it. Down in my plums.

FAX
01-10-2019, 04:59 PM
Wally has more OCs in the queue than Taco Bell has leftover packets of disgusting sauce.

(BTW, when they ask, always say, "No," to disgusting sauce.)

FAX

pugsnotdrugs19
01-10-2019, 05:00 PM
I like Bienemy, but I hope they fucking suck for a year or two so people will stop poaching our OCs. :cuss:

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2019, 05:01 PM
I like Bienemy, but I hope they fucking suck for a year or two so people will stop poaching our OCs. :cuss:
It's the Sean McVay/Andy Reid effect. If you've so much as smelled the farts of either of them, and your speciality is offense, you're qualified for an NFL head coaching job.

Jamie
01-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Maybe we should pull a Belichick and not give anyone the OC title.

Deberg_1990
01-10-2019, 05:16 PM

Next man up.....Kafka

saphojunkie
01-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Reid is the OC.

OC for Chiefs is HC in training.

DC doesn't exist.

01-10-2019, 05:21 PM
It still think it's bullshit that teams can conduct searches before the NFL season is over. This shit should not start until the day after the Superbowl.

KChiefs1
01-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Kafka next.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
01-10-2019, 05:27 PM
After Kafka who’s next? I’m guessing McCullough the RB coach

FAX
01-10-2019, 05:31 PM
It still think it's bullshit that teams can conduct searches before the NFL season is over. This shit should not start until the day after the Superbowl.

I totally agree with this sentiment.

The NFL needs to do something about this. For example, if a team wants to interview a coach, they should have to exchange draft position (if the prospective coach's pick is lower than the suitor's pick). Or, maybe exchange their position on the waiver wire. Something like that.

FAX

Deberg_1990
01-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Kafka to the Lions in 2020!

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Not so fast, my friends.

Reporter in Cincinnati

Elise Jesse
@Elise_JesseWLWT
I was just told by one source about a half hour ago that the #Bengals are planning to name Zac Taylor as their Head Coach (after playoffs of course). I'm told by the same source that Troy and Katie made the call. Stay tuned.

The Franchise
01-10-2019, 05:36 PM
It's a Sean McVay offseason!

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2019, 05:42 PM
[Schefter] Bengals would like to hire Rams’ QB coach Zac Taylor after Los Angeles’ season ends, league sources tell @mortreport and me. It looks like it is Taylor’s job to lose. He is the preferred choice.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-10-2019, 05:43 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bengals would like to hire Rams’ QB coach Zac Taylor after Los Angeles’ season ends, league sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@mortreport</a> and me. It looks like it is Taylor’s job to lose. He is the preferred choice.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1083508912903671809?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 10, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CoMoChief
01-10-2019, 05:46 PM
Shefter just reported Bengals are looking at Zac Taylor (QB coach Rams) for HC once Rams season ends.

JakeF
01-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Beiniemy might just be the Rooney Rule out for everyone.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
01-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Yeeeesssss!!! Bieniemy is staying

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Beiniemy might just be the Rooney Rule out for everyone.
I'm glad he's staying at least another year, but also a bit sad for him. He deserves better than being the token interview to fulfill the Rooney Rule, and looking at the coaches being hired recently he should've gotten a job.

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2019, 06:12 PM
Dolphins seemed to have it narrowed down to Kris Richard and Brian Flores.

The Franchise
01-10-2019, 06:12 PM
I'm glad he's staying at least another year, but also a bit sad for him. He deserves better than being the token interview to fulfill the Rooney Rule, and looking at the coaches being hired recently he should've gotten a job.

He'll get his next year....guaranteed.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
01-10-2019, 06:19 PM
I feel like Kafka is the heir apparent to Reid. Kinda like how McDaniels is to Belichick

Coochie liquor
01-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Dolphins seemed to have it narrowed down to Kris Richard and Brian Flores.

Has nobody learned about Pats coordinators yet? JFc

Reerun_KC
01-10-2019, 06:24 PM
It's a Sean McVay offseason!

Good the league needs it. Desperately needs it.

Hoover
01-10-2019, 06:24 PM
I just hope he does not poach other coaches on our staff. Except Sutton

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Has nobody learned about Pats coordinators yet? JFc
Has there ever been a successful coach from the Belicheck tree?

Coochie liquor
01-10-2019, 06:26 PM
That said, love him or hate him. Andy Reid was a great pickup. We have no worries at HC, and almost every other team does. Think I saw 7 HC’s were hired 3 years ago, and Pederson is the only one still coaching their team. No losing seasons since he got here and now less than 48 hours from punching a ticket to the AFCCG!

Wallcrawler
01-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Maybe we should pull a Belichick and not give anyone the OC title.

Its not so much that he doesnt name them, anyone from Belicheats coaching tree has been an unmitigated ****ing dumpster fire.

Mangini was hilariously bad, Mcdaniels orchestrated an epic season collapse for Dungver, then drafted Tebow, Matt Patricia, when not sexually assaulting women is also a raging dumpster fire in detroit.

Belicheat himself got fired in cleveland, and went 5-11 in New england before getting Tom Brady and then cheating his ****ing balls off at every single opportunity.

Why anyone would want anything to do with anyone in the Belicheat camp is beyond me.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-10-2019, 11:35 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’m told Eric Bieniemy has a strong potential defensive staff if hired as a head coach, including Steve Wilks as coordinator, Joe Woods in the secondary and Brentson Buckner on the defensive line. Miami might be the last chance.</p>&mdash; Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1083583423107735553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Please bring Wilks to KC Eric

pugsnotdrugs19
01-10-2019, 11:36 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’m told Eric Bieniemy has a strong potential defensive staff if hired as a head coach, including Steve Wilks as coordinator, Joe Woods in the secondary and Brentson Buckner on the defensive line. Miami might be the last chance.</p>&mdash; Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1083583423107735553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Could see that happening if Bienemy isn’t able to get the Miami job.

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2019, 11:38 PM

Good ****ing god, no. Our run defense is fucking horrendous. The Cardinals were significantly WORSE. Chiefs gave up 132 rushing yards per game and 19 TDs. Cardinals gave up 154 rushing yards per game and 25 TDs. The year prior they gave up 89 rushing yards per game and 12 TDs. Wilks changed them from a 3-4 to 4-3