PDA

View Full Version : Football Coaching contracts hint at possible work stoppage

Mecca
01-13-2019, 09:55 AM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25749860/language-new-coaches-contracts-hints-possible-nfl-work-stoppage-2021

Language in new coaches' contracts hints at possible NFL work stoppage in 2021

9:32 AM CT
Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

Recent coaching hirings have shined a light on an ugly prospect: that the NFL is starting to set up its fight for a potential work stoppage in 2021 and a disruption of football that season, league sources told ESPN.

In coaching contracts negotiated in the past week, teams are addressing how much each coach would make -- or lose -- in the event of a work stoppage, according to sources.

Teams are trying to protect themselves and save money in the event of missed time, using different percentages for amounts of the football season that could be missed in 2021.

One league source told ESPN that he thought both teams and coaches are confident that there will be some type of disruption, and one of the first signs of it is showing up in the language of coaches' contracts.

That language is also expected to appear in some player contracts being negotiated in free agency; in the third year of those deals, the current collective bargaining agreement is due to expire.

Titty Meat
01-13-2019, 09:58 AM
94' MLB and whatever year the NHL canceled are proof this is a really bad idea.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 09:59 AM
The NFL players think they are being fucked which compared to other leagues they are...so that's why there is always issues when the CBA is up.

jjchieffan
01-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Ugh! What are they going to fight over this time? The last deal is working for the most part. Stupid crap like what Bell pulled needs to be fixed. But that's not enough to stop games over.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Ugh! What are they going to fight over this time? The last deal is working for the most part. Stupid crap like what Bell pulled needs to be fixed. But that's not enough to stop games over.

That the players want a bigger slice, more roster spots, possibly some type of long term care.

Owners will want 18 games...

jjchieffan
01-13-2019, 10:04 AM
The NFL players think they are being ****ed which compared to other leagues they are...so that's why there is always issues when the CBA is up.

Whatever. Every player in the league makes enough money to live on for years. If they get a second contract, they're set for life. If that's being screwt, then I wish that someone would screw me like that.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Also to add, Roger Goodell lording over every decision and there not being any real guidelines on some things.

Franchise tag, and drug testing will also be big issues with what's going on there.

GloucesterChief
The NFL players think they are being ****ed which compared to other leagues they are...so that's why there is always issues when the CBA is up.

With the way career ending injuries happen in the NFL, there is no way they get guaranteed contracts. Having Goodell be the judge,jury, and executioner for player punishment though is something that will probably change.

Dr. Yu Weed Tard
That the players want a bigger slice, more roster spots, possibly some type of long term care.

They need to practice more. Less season-ending injuries when they actually practiced.

Rasputin
01-13-2019, 10:06 AM
I just wish they would get rid of Thursday night football So fucking stupid then pay the men for their contribution what they are worth but get rid of Thursday night football.

Talk about player safety but fucking play four days after a brutal physical game on Sunday.

Dr. Yu Weed Tard
Whatever. Every player in the league makes enough money to live on for years. If they get a second contract, they're set for life. If that's being screwt, then I wish that someone would screw me like that.

That's a broadstroke view of the situation.

Mecca

The thing is the big money guys are the rarity....even a guy like Frank Zombo is a rarity.

Most NFL careers are 3 years and those guys are making squat.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:07 AM
I just wish they would get rid of Thursday night football So fucking stupid then pay the men for their contribution what they are worth but get rid of Thursday night football.

Talk about player safety but fucking play four days after a brutal physical game on Sunday.

Players may want to do away with that, but the owners won't.

Just wait though, players want the franchise tag gone.

carcosa
If the cheap ass greedy owners waste a year of Mahomes's prime I'm gonna be PISSED

jjchieffan

They're slice is plenty big. Player contract sizes have exploded since the last deal. What can a player do with $50 million that they can't do with $20 million?? I mean, seriously. It's just pure greed. Anyone receiving more money than they and their children could ever spend and saying that isn't enough is just being greedy.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:09 AM
They're slice is plenty big. Player contract sizes have exploded since the last deal. What can a player do with $50 million that they can't do with $20 million?? I mean, seriously. It's just pure greed. Anyone receiving more money than they and their children could ever spend and saying that isn't enough is just being greedy.

Only some guys have really...

Players are getting something like 59% of the leagues revenue if you compare that to the NBA or MLB...they're geting hosed.

You are missing the picture here though, for every Rodgers there are 50 guys making the minimum for 2 years.

carcosa
01-13-2019, 10:10 AM

If you think it's the players being greedy and not the owners you're a fucking bootlicking scab

jjchieffan
01-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Only some guys have really...

Players are getting something like 59% of the leagues revenue if you compare that to the NBA or MLB...they're geting hosed.

You are missing the picture here though, for every Rodgers there are 50 guys making the minimum for 2 years.

No. You're missing my point. It's the Rodgers and the Bells that are taking from the other players. Those stupid money contracts are the problem.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:12 AM
You're crazy if you look at the rest of sports and don't think NFL players have the worst deals, sport makes the most revenue yet they see the least of it and they have the shortest careers.

carcosa
01-13-2019, 10:13 AM
No. You're missing my point. It's the Rodgers and the Bells that are taking from the other players. Those stupid money contracts are the problem.

OR the owners could stop hoarding money they absolutely don't need and pay everyone properly

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Are you gonna flip when one of the contention points is the players wanting the franchise tag eliminated?

TwistedChief
01-13-2019, 10:16 AM
We’ll have won 2-3 Super Bowls by this point and we won’t care nearly as much by then.

Flying High D
01-13-2019, 10:18 AM
OR the owners could stop hoarding money they absolutely don't need and pay everyone properly

Maybe every company in America should do that. In the 80’s the CEO’s rate of pay went crazy. Meanwhile workers wages have been stagnant since ‘79.

jjchieffan
01-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Are you gonna flip when one of the contention points is the players wanting the franchise tag eliminated?

I don't see why that would make me flip. The teams should have every right to retain a star player that they developed. I'm against it getting removed. I think that they need to fix it so that players can't pull the crap that Bell did. If you sit out the season, then the season doesn't count as one of the tags. It never happened. Also, they should have to play at least 8 games.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:30 AM
I don't see why that would make me flip. The teams should have every right to retain a star player that they developed. I'm against it getting removed. I think that they need to fix it so that players can't pull the crap that Bell did. If you sit out the season, then the season doesn't count as one of the tags. It never happened. Also, they should have to play at least 8 games.

Should a team be allowed to hold a player hostage?

What you want to do is literally giving players even less leverage than they have now.

Chief Roundup

Is this stuff being compared apples to apples?
The NFL teams have much larger rosters than either the NBA or the MLB.

Mecca
Is this stuff being compared apples to apples?
The NFL teams have much larger rosters than either the NBA or the MLB.

I understand that but as a whole the NFL players have the worst deal, it isn't even arguable.

Chief Roundup
01-13-2019, 10:35 AM

This could be said about most large businesses. No different than WalMart, Exxon, Amazon, etc.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:36 AM
I mean generally speaking with the NFL the players always cave, it's one of the reasons their CBA kinda sucks for them.

Chief Roundup
01-13-2019, 10:40 AM

How do you propose to change that? For as long as their are players that are as good as Rodgers their will be ridiculous contracts to players like Rodgers which will automatically dictate that there will be lots of players making the minimum.

Chief Roundup
01-13-2019, 10:42 AM
I also wonder if there might be some change on PS players.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:43 AM
How do you propose to change that? For as long as their are players that are as good as Rodgers their will be ridiculous contracts to players like Rodgers which will automatically dictate that there will be lots of players making the minimum.

I don't expect top end guys to make less, I do think they should have something where teams have a reason to keep veteran guys that can still play around.

I think having more rosters spots, higher cap figures, maybe some type of exemptions that if you have veterans on your roster at their min which would be like a million dollars they only affect your cap at a rookie min scale?

I think in reality one of the biggest things they should do is do something to encourage teams to keep good veteran depth players in the league, that helps with quality.

Chief Roundup
01-13-2019, 10:55 AM
I don't expect top end guys to make less, I do think they should have something where teams have a reason to keep veteran guys that can still play around.

I think having more rosters spots, higher cap figures, maybe some type of exemptions that if you have veterans on your roster at their min which would be like a million dollars they only affect your cap at a rookie min scale?

I think in reality one of the biggest things they should do is do something to encourage teams to keep good veteran depth players in the league, that helps with quality.

I could definitely see them expanding rosters, but especially if the owners push for 18 game seasons. I don't know if it is a part of the CBA but hope they change the IR return policies to allow all players to come off instead of this limit.

Mecca
01-13-2019, 10:58 AM
I could definitely see them expanding rosters, but especially if the owners push for 18 game seasons. I don't know if it is a part of the CBA but hope they change the IR return policies to allow all players to come off instead of this limit.

They should do that.

I think the bigger rosters overall and game day rosters will be something the owners give to get more regular season games.

tk13
01-13-2019, 12:48 PM
The last time the owners locked the players out and took it to them in negotiations, even though the owners had just signed all these billion dollar TV contracts, they argued they weren't getting enough of the pie. The players got whipped and I'm sure some of them haven't forgotten that.

BossChief
01-13-2019, 12:56 PM
94' MLB and whatever year the NHL canceled are proof this is a really bad idea.

I stopped being a fan of baseball when they went on strike when Griffey was on fire. I pretty much completely lost interest in a sport that decided the business was more important than the fans.

The same thing might happen if the nfl goes on strike and misses real games.

Take care of business during the offseason