PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Gillette

Pages : [1] 2

cmh6476
01-14-2019, 07:08 PM
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/koPmuEyP3a0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thought this to be timely this week :spock:

cmh6476
01-14-2019, 07:09 PM
trying to figure out the right link to play straight from the thread...

Dr. Yu Weed Tard
01-14-2019, 07:10 PM
I didn't watch. I saw Gilette and little boys and I left the room.

Bowser
01-14-2019, 07:13 PM
9K likes, 89K dislikes. People are sick to death of not just the PC culture, but getting lectured about it. The comments are brutal, lol.

BostonCheatriots
01-14-2019, 07:13 PM
I didn't watch. I saw Gilette and little boys and I left the room.

ROFLROFLROFL

Discuss Thrower
01-14-2019, 07:14 PM
9K likes, 89K dislikes.

Russian bots.

Bowser
01-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Russian bots.

Obviously.

I'm shocked they didn't update the MTV Whiteshaming commercial from a few years ago for good measure to go along with this turd.

FringeNC
01-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Always a good idea to insult your customers..

Tonka83
01-14-2019, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure why companies keep doing this shit.
It's like they go out of their way to torpedo their brand.

chinaski
01-14-2019, 07:18 PM
This preachy bullshit is annoying. There is a constant PC barrage coming from every direction, I don't need to hear it from an unethical razor company that sells overpriced shaving products.

Is this some kind of target marketing? Don't the youth of today sport beards?

chinaski
01-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Boycott Gillette

Including Gillette Stadium

Ken Bone
01-14-2019, 07:27 PM
The pussification of America continues

Munson
01-14-2019, 07:49 PM
https://i.imgur.com/xseONur.png

Hammock Parties
01-14-2019, 07:52 PM
only the best for brady's son

he wouldn't want to kiss peach fuzz

Why Not?
01-14-2019, 08:01 PM
JFC. Really? I need life lesson lectures from a fucking razor company?

CoMoChief
01-14-2019, 08:04 PM
You just know Brady wants to french kiss the living hell out of all of those kids.

Holladay
01-14-2019, 08:07 PM
Welp, I was going to shave the scraggly beard off tonight. Now I am going to Wal-Mart (only store in town) to replace my Gillette blades with Schick.

Goodness. That commercial screwed up my stomach.

Why Not?
01-14-2019, 08:10 PM
On a related note, I rewatched the PC Principal episode of South Park last night. So damn funny!

TinyEvel
01-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Not sure why all the hate for this. Are you saying we as a society should condone bullying or guys grabbing a woman’s ass? That it’s okay to let people keep other people down, or to not consider how, in a meeting, our own assertion to be heard, or right, is more important than letting another person speak?

Is it you disagree with the message? Or the message is valid but shouldn’t be coming from a razor company.

But if Gillette didn’t say it, who would? Sure, female politicians in California, okay. But Gillette as a brand has the right to say this, in my opinion, as a male oriented brand. No less a right than Budweiser can say be a fan of a certain team, or P&G can say that moms should support kid’s sports.

They’re leading by example, saying speak up. And the reactions are proof that it’s a relevant and necessary message. You can choose to buy or not buy their razors, they know that. This takes balls on their behalf, and in my opinion one of the greatest measures of being a man: use your strength to help others.

Holladay
01-14-2019, 08:15 PM
11k vs 111k now. Foot meet mouth.

Holladay
01-14-2019, 08:24 PM
Wow Tiny, I thought you would have gotten this.

Yes there is bulling, but on both sides. People in power can do this.

I pride that when my wife would like the jar of pickles opened, I can do that. I am happy to open doors and do things that guys are built for. I also cherish the abilities that women have.

Two different sexes for two different models. Women can bully just as much as men. It's just not in the media. Define "Cougar". Just as bad. All the reports of female teachers taking advantage of young innocent children.

My daughter's biggest bully was a smart ass little girl. They can be the real winches.

Don't preach to me about what being a man or father is suppose to be.

The main reason we are offended is the condescension. That is one of the most personal fouls. Apathy is the worst. That is the killer in PC culture right now. Apathy.

Why Not?
01-14-2019, 08:26 PM

I pride that when my wife would like the jar of pickles opened, I can do that. I am happy to open doors and do things that guys are built for. I also cherish the abilities that women have.

Two different sexes for two different models. Women can bully just as much as men. It's just not in the media. Define "Cougar". Just as bad. All the reports of female teachers taking advantage of young innocent children.

My daughter's biggest bully was a smart ass little girl. They can be the real winches.

This guy gets it.

Rain Man
01-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Wow. The Patriots are terrified of being humiliated at Arrowhead, aren't they?

Indian Chief
01-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Guys that are douchebags aren't going to stop being douchebags because of a P&G commercial. In addition, the average guy that uses Gillette products isn't a sexual predator and is going to wonder why they are being preached to in a razor commercial.

jjjayb
01-14-2019, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure why companies keep doing this shit.
It's like they go out of their way to torpedo their brand.

They do it because every marketing study says that millennials and younger generations are loyal to specific companies and they like companies that have a social message. They're trying to attract younger customers that will be loyal to their brand. Same reason Nike sponsored Kapernick and preach about girl power. They're just whoring themselves out for customers.

Stupid, condescending ****ing commercial though. They can eat my manly dick.

Dr. Yu Weed Tard
01-14-2019, 09:31 PM
They do it because every marketing study says that millennials and younger generations are loyal to specific companies and they like companies that have a social message. They're trying to attract younger customers that will be loyal to their brand. Same reason Nike sponsored Kapernick and preach about girl power. They're just whoring themselves out for customers.

Stupid, condescending ****ing commercial though. They can eat my manly dick.

Because young people are stupid + spend money carelessly = advertiser's wet fucking dream

Dr. Yu Weed Tard
01-14-2019, 09:34 PM

The main reason we are offended is the condescension. That is one of the most personal fouls. Apathy is the worst. That is the killer in PC culture right now. Apathy.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/1c6943c372187ed186416b895f4eb06c/tenor.gif?itemid=5089552

Ken Bone
01-14-2019, 09:35 PM
The Gillette execs decided they weren’t getting enough tranny business. So they came up with this ad.

Bump
01-14-2019, 09:59 PM
Patriots stadium is Gillette stadium, if needed use this as material if they come here to talk trash lol.

Rain Man
01-14-2019, 10:05 PM
The Gillette execs decided they weren’t getting enough tranny business. So they came up with this ad.

That may be smart. Those guys probably use a lot of razor blades.

TinyEvel
01-14-2019, 10:10 PM

Well we both have something in common that my daughter was also bullied by another girl in school. But the amount she suffered at the hands of several boys far, far outweighed that, and was passed off by the teacher as "boys will be boys."

They were specific boys. Individuals. And still a greater number of individual boys never spoke up, to say it's not cool to giggle and smirk every time the teacher says the word come in a sentence. Or not cool to try to take an upskirt pic with your phone in class. Or other more worse things that happened.

The definition of apathy is not caring or not showing emotion. It's either not caring or not speaking if you do. It's indifference or complacency. So I'm not sure what you mean by using apathy to describe PC culture. I think that apathy is harmful is what this message is trying to convey. Trying.

I make ads, I can look at this as a craftsman in this industry and there are a lot of things I would have done differently, made the message more intelligent, more poignant and direct. But I respect the brand for taking the stance. People are talking about it and that's the goal. With that in mind, I chose to offer my opinion while the thread is here, and really I'm on this board to read and talk about the Chiefs. That's what I'd prefer to do.

And I'm not trying to preach to you about what type of man or father you should be, sorry if you took it that way. I said that, in my opinion, one of the greatest measures of a man is using your strength to help others. Be that open a jar of pickles, giving recognition to a subordinate, or stopping bully, no matter who it be.

Frazod
01-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Well, if these cunts hadn't already lost my business years ago when I decided to quit paying Gillette's ridiculous prices and moved on to Dollar Shave Club, this certainly would have done it.

AssEaterChief
01-14-2019, 10:17 PM
I can't believe this is a real commercial...

Frazod
01-14-2019, 10:18 PM
And you know what stops bullying? When you stop being a pussy and stand up to them.

cmh6476
01-14-2019, 11:22 PM
Wow. The Patriots are terrified of being humiliated at Arrowhead, aren't they?

Best post through page 2 imo

bdj23
01-14-2019, 11:38 PM
Stopped watching at Ana Kasparian.

Frazod
01-14-2019, 11:51 PM
Stopped watching at Ana Kasparian.

Yeah, me too. LMAO

kysirsoze
01-15-2019, 12:00 AM
As someone who generally agrees with the message of this spot, this is pretty overwrought and extremely preachy. I don't even mind companies taking stands on certain issues, but this is just too much. Poor acting/writing doesn't help and it reeks of patting themselves on the back.

01-15-2019, 12:05 AM
Talk about torpedoing your brand. LMAO wow

Frazod
01-15-2019, 12:15 AM
Talk about torpedoing your brand. LMAO wow

I assume this was brought to us by the same morons who thought focusing on kneeling during the National Anthem would be a real boon for the NFL. It certainly will have the same effect - alienate the people who actually buy your product, while impressing the people who don't.

zigbazah
01-15-2019, 01:11 AM
The issue with ads like these is they conflate bad behavior with traditional masculinity. It's possible for all types of people to be abusive. It's also possible to like stereotypically "guy" things and not be an asshole. Two boys wrestling in the yard is a teachable moment for good parents. And the thing is, Gillette is trying to point that out, but the message should be to control your emotions, not "society says you should be manly but that's actually bad. "

Bump
01-15-2019, 01:22 AM
If you haven't noticed, everything hollywood, tv, movies and now video games has been overran by SJWs.

CoMoChief
01-15-2019, 03:15 AM
Well, if these cunts hadn't already lost my business years ago when I decided to quit paying Gillette's ridiculous prices and moved on to Dollar Shave Club, this certainly would have done it.

This.

TwistedChief
01-15-2019, 03:29 AM
As someone who generally agrees with the message of this spot, this is pretty overwrought and extremely preachy. I don't even mind companies taking stands on certain issues, but this is just too much. Poor acting/writing doesn't help and it reeks of patting themselves on the back.

This is where I'm at. I respect them for trying and taking a stand, but I think the way in which the message is delivered here opened themselves up to obvious backlash. Unfortunate they didn't have the foresight to see that in advance.

Hoopsdoc
01-15-2019, 06:54 AM
The issue with ads like these is they conflate bad behavior with traditional masculinity. It's possible for all types of people to be abusive. It's also possible to like stereotypically "guy" things and not be an asshole. Two boys wrestling in the yard is a teachable moment for good parents. And the thing is, Gillette is trying to point that out, but the message should be to control your emotions, not "society says you should be manly but that's actually bad. "

There’s no conflating. To a growing number of people, traditional masculinity IS bad behavior.

KCUnited
01-15-2019, 07:41 AM
These damsels in distress need a Gillette man to save them from the bullies!

Same hero message as always, just tweaked for a younger generation.

ChiefsLV
01-15-2019, 07:52 AM
I'm so tired of this political correctness wave that's right up in our faces day in, day out. If these guys want to protest during the national anthem, that's up to them. Just tired of all the whining and butthurt about it.

Holladay
01-15-2019, 08:58 AM
And I'm not trying to preach to you about what type of man or father you should be, sorry if you took it that way.

Not you, the ad.

Agreed, I too come here to talk Chiefs. I've been in DC 2 times. Not for me.

The ad just got my manly hackles up.

Baby Lee
01-15-2019, 08:58 AM
Not sure why all the hate for this. Are you saying we as a society should condone bullying or guys grabbing a woman’s ass? That it’s okay to let people keep other people down, or to not consider how, in a meeting, our own assertion to be heard, or right, is more important than letting another person speak?

Is it you disagree with the message? Or the message is valid but shouldn’t be coming from a razor company.

But if Gillette didn’t say it, who would? Sure, female politicians in California, okay. But Gillette as a brand has the right to say this, in my opinion, as a male oriented brand. No less a right than Budweiser can say be a fan of a certain team, or P&G can say that moms should support kid’s sports.

They’re leading by example, saying speak up. And the reactions are proof that it’s a relevant and necessary message. You can choose to buy or not buy their razors, they know that. This takes balls on their behalf, and in my opinion one of the greatest measures of being a man: use your strength to help others.

Allow me to propose a criticism that is about something other than 'too PC.'

While you might applaud the particular aims of these suggested responses [stopping kids from roughhousing, restraining an ogler or a groper] they are STILL patriarchal.

It's not progress to simply replace one set of stereotypes with another.
The 'old' mindset is supposedly that the only people who are harmed by horseplay or ogling are wimps or bitches who don't matter anyway. But this 'new' mindset assumes that people can never derive enjoyment or growth through any of this 'unwelcomed' activity.

But the horseplay and bullying and the ogling and the groping and the remarks, and all that, . . . are still between two individuals who ARE NOT YOU. You are by definition stereotyping and exercising privilege when you step into a situation between two individuals and state 'hey, I'm bigger and stronger than all of you, and I think that your interpersonal reactions should be like xxx'

You have no way of knowing what the inner monologues of the actual participants in the event are, but Gillette call upon you to be a referee anyway. Those who propose this cannot envision anyone in a physical scrap as anything but an aggressor and a terrified recipient, and cannot envision anyone involved in flirting as anything other than a predator and a terrified prey.

Clearly there comes a point where additional evidence accumulates, where a kid is clearly being bested and hurt, or where a woman is clearly receiving emotional damage without the interpersonal skills to handle the moment on her own. And at that point, your tactful intervention might be called for.

But this campaign isn't about being tactful and situationally aware, it's a backlash to underutilized patriarchy demanding that instead that same patriarchy be abused in 'good ways,' in ways that make the critics more comfortable.

carcosa
01-15-2019, 09:17 AM

This is the good take

People who cry about PC culture are boring and way more annoying than the people they complain about ever were

Personally I think woke brands are usually pretty cynical (they're still just trying to turn a profit after all) but there's nothing wrong with the message itself, which is: don't be an asshole to women or anyone more vulnerable than yourself, because it's shitty and what do you even gain from it? I get not wanting to be preached at by razors but the sermon itself is fine

Like, if you want to be a racist sexist bully, go for it, nobody's really stopping you, but don't expect to get any praise or avoid any criticism here in 2019. Sorry snowflakes

InChiefsHeaven
01-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Dollar Shave Club. Screw Gillette...

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 09:41 AM

While you might applaud the particular aims of these suggested responses [stopping kids from roughhousing, restraining an ogler or a groper] they are STILL patriarchal.

The 'old' mindset is supposedly that the only people who are harmed by horseplay or ogling are wimps or bitches who don't matter anyway. But this 'new' mindset assumes that people can never derive enjoyment or growth through any of this 'unwelcomed' activity.

But the horseplay and bullying and the ogling and the groping and the remarks, and all that, . . . are still between two individuals who ARE NOT YOU. You are by definition stereotyping and exercising privilege when you step into a situation between two individuals and state 'hey, I'm bigger and stronger than all of you, and I think that your interpersonal reactions should be like xxx'

You have no way of knowing what the inner monologues of the actual participants in the event are, but Gillette call upon you to be a referee anyway. Those who propose this cannot envision anyone in a physical scrap as anything but an aggressor and a terrified recipient, and cannot envision anyone involved in flirting as anything other than a predator and a terrified prey.

Clearly there comes a point where additional evidence accumulates, where a kid is clearly being bested and hurt, or where a woman is clearly receiving emotional damage without the interpersonal skills to handle the moment on her own. And at that point, your tactful intervention might be called for.

But this campaign isn't about being tactful and situationally aware, it's a backlash to underutilized patriarchy demanding that instead that same patriarchy be abused in 'good ways,' in ways that make the critics more comfortable.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.i-mockery.com%2Fblabber%2Fpics%2Fclapping-hands-animation.gif&f=1

THANK YOU.

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 09:43 AM
There’s no conflating. To a growing number of people, traditional masculinity IS bad behavior.

"Traditional masculinity"? "People"?

Completely insensitive. How dare you.

DJ's left nut
01-15-2019, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure if they still do, but Dollar Shave Club used to get their blades from Dorco. You can buy directly from them for about 1/2 what even DSC costs if you buy them in bulk. You can do it for less if you find a coupon or ad special.

I use a Pace 6 from them and it's a great blade; easily as good as my Schick's used to be and the back of the blades are open for easier cleaning and reduced corrosion.

As for this ad - I'm just so tired of the projecting. Jesus Christ, who actually sits there and watches kids beat the shit out of each other? Or ignores bullies? Men take an absurd amount of pride in being fathers, though you'd never know it from television. I tend to treat raising the boy as an immense responsibility and the girls as something of a sacred trust. And I'm hardly special in this regard - this is common; it's decidedly average. For Gillette to throw this ad out there and not expect a resounding "Fuck you!" from the masses tells me a lot about who comprised that ad-team. I'm betting there wasn't a significant number of fathers putting that one together. If there were, someone would've sat back and said "hey now, maybe we shouldn't be hand-waiving the millions of responsible fathers in this country that are gonna see this and tell us to fist ourselves..."

So this ad is one of 2 things - 1) just a bunch of out of touch coastal ad men who think the world is full of guys who will sit there letting the burgers burn while kids beat the piss out of each other (pft - like any of us would let the burgers burn...) and see daughters as needless appendages or 2) a pack of cynical asswipes who know better but have found there is profit to be made in appealing to the mass media markets (NY, LA and Chicago) that lap this shit up.

Both possibilities deserve plenty of scorn. I also find more and more that the people who look down on flyover country as being full of backwards rubes sure seem to have a lot more stories of men being mouth-breathing shitheels than us midwesterners do.

Yeah, Gillette is welcomed to get bent with this one. Try taking the worst stereotypes of women, flipping them and then making a tampon commercial or something. Some ad with women either as hormonal temptresses constantly in fear of their biological clock poking holes in condoms or lying about their birth control. Or just straight up savage misandry blamed on having their periods. Hey, how 'bout we focus on those women that lean on their husbands as simple sources of finances and leave them, take their children and route them out of their lives - we can sell shampoo.

Seriously - flip this commercial on its head and tell me that "well hey, maybe the message was a little too on the nose, but the sentiment is sound..." would be a viable takeaway from using a gender's worst examples as representative of the whole. Tell me could ever make a commercial as self-serious as that piece of shit that frames the female sex as little more than the embodiment of their worst representatives and moments and that it would be defended.

It's just a ridiculous commercial as is Tiny Evil's defense of it. You wanna know why this commercial got made? Because the west coast advertising guy on this very board showed up and said "hey, I don't know what the big deal is...."

You have it straight from the source and yes, it's exactly that asinine.

FringeNC
01-15-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure if they still do, but Dollar Shave Club used to get their blades from Dorco. You can buy directly from them for about 1/2 what even DSC costs if you buy them in bulk. You can do it for less if you find a coupon or ad special.

I use a Pace 6 from them and it's a great blade; easily as good as my Schick's used to be and the back of the blades are open for easier cleaning and reduced corrosion.

As for this ad - I'm just so tired of the projecting. Jesus Christ, who actually sits there and watches kids beat the shit out of each other? Or ignores bullies? Men take an absurd amount of pride in being fathers, though you'd never know it from television. I tend to treat raising the boy as an immense responsibility and the girls as something of a sacred trust. And I'm hardly special in this regard - this is common; it's decidedly average. For Gillette to throw this ad out there and not expect a resounding "**** you!" from the masses tells me a lot about who comprised that ad-team. I'm betting there wasn't a significant number of fathers putting that one together. If there were, someone would've sat back and said "hey now, maybe we shouldn't be hand-waiving the millions of responsible fathers in this country that are gonna see this and tell us to fist ourselves..."

So this ad is one of 2 things - 1) just a bunch of out of touch coastal ad men who think the world is full of guys who will sit there letting the burgers burn while kids beat the piss out of each other (pft - like any of us would let the burgers burn...) and see daughters as needless appendages or 2) a pack of cynical asswipes who know better but have found there is profit to be made in appealing to the mass media markets (NY, LA and Chicago) that lap this shit up.

Both possibilities deserve plenty of scorn. I also find more and more that the people who look down on flyover country as being full of backwards rubes sure seem to have a lot more stories of men being mouth-breathing shitheels than us midwesterners do.

Yeah, Gillette is welcomed to get bent with this one. Try taking the worst stereotypes of women, flipping them and then making a tampon commercial or something. Some ad with women either as hormonal temptresses constantly in fear of their biological clock poking holes in condoms or lying about their birth control. Or just straight up savage misandry blamed on having their periods. Hey, how 'bout we focus on those women that lean on their husbands as simple sources of finances and leave them, take their children and route them out of their lives - we can sell shampoo.

Seriously - flip this commercial on its head and tell me that "well hey, maybe the message was a little too on the nose, but the sentiment is sound..." would be a viable takeaway from using a gender's worst examples as representative of the whole. Tell me could ever make a commercial as self-serious as that piece of shit that frames the female sex as little more than the embodiment of their worst representatives and moments and that it would be defended.

It's just a ridiculous commercial as is Tiny Evil's defense of it. You wanna know why this commercial got made? Because the west coast advertising guy on this very board showed up and said "hey, I don't know what the big deal is...."

Well said. Couple random things on my mind: It's interesting how that side's view of collective guilt has changed now that they control all of our institutions. Same people who have lectured us for ages on collective guilt...

Sometimes I think I live in a theocracy. It's especially scary now that corporate America has become a propaganda arm.

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 10:07 AM
The message in this commercial doesn't come across as "don't be a bad man." It comes across as "being a man is bad." Or more "all men are bad, all you fuckers need to change."

DJ's Left Nut, as usual, sums it up pretty eloquently.

JoeyChuckles
01-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Boycott Gillette

Including Gillette Stadium

I stopped shaving on Sunday, since I only have Gillette razors.

Baby Lee
01-15-2019, 10:16 AM
It seems like as entertainment runs out of novel ideas, they are also running into how their ideas of entertainment generated, or at least gave the impression of generating, the things they now bemoan.

A couple of instances that shed light.

First off, when they happened at the time I celebrated it, and then it was forgotten, and now people are revisiting it like they are discovering it for the first time.

And the 'it' I'm talking about is putting the tradtitional stories in more diverse hands.

The first was Eddie Murphy making movies about successful, often hyper-successful black people without self-congratulation or shining a light. Coming to America, Boomerang, Distinguished Gentleman, and even later family friendly fare like Nutty Professor and Doctor Doolittle, he presented black thriving as the default, black normalcy even nerdiness as normal.

Then Blade with Wesley Snipes as a superhero.

Then Kill Bill with a female as a lone avenging badass.

Now Hollywood 'repurposes' scripts with diversity as the prominent express and blatant intent, and look to celebrate how much progress they've made.

They think that unless they do it purposefully and loudly, the rubes won't get it.

Then second, the thing with misogyny and bigotry and curmudgeonliness being the center of sitcom fare. They like to think that they write these things because that's what the appetite is in the society. But it seems more to me that these traits are simply easier to write in their heuristic of conflict and resolution and story arcs. They never figured out how to generate entertaining fare from people being decent, and they blame the audience for not being receptive to their nonexistent effort to do so.

T-post Tom
01-15-2019, 10:24 AM
But it seems more to me that these traits are simply easier to write in their heuristic of conflict and resolution and story arcs.

12,288,002 CP posts and counting...yet we seldom get to see the word "heuristic". Well done sir.

gblowfish
01-15-2019, 10:32 AM
I didn't watch this because I don't care. And I shave with the cheapest generic blades I can find at CVS.

SuperChief
01-15-2019, 10:35 AM

You're turning obvious cultural black and whites into grey areas - for what purpose? Why conflate the issue at hand - reinforcing positive cultural norms? Why play devil's advocate on THAT? smh

Tonka83
01-15-2019, 10:38 AM
I use Defender Razor. It's one of those reoccurring delivery programs but it's cheap and it's the only disposable blade that I have ever used that stays sharp for a week and the blades don't clog up. The blades are actually spaced far enough apart to let my thick ass stubble pass through.

SuperChief
01-15-2019, 10:38 AM
I don't know what's "PC" about the message, "Hey, don't be a dick. Be better than that." I know, I know - back in my day, we used to pound those nerds into oblivion and now they're CEOs, so it must have worked right?

Literally NO ONE is saying masculinity is bad; the reference is toward toxic masculinity, and I'm sure it's something we've all taken apart of at some point in our lives here. Bullying, demeaning, undermining, mansplaining, etc.

Why wouldn't you want to grow and be the best version of you you can be? That's the message here. Christ.

T-post Tom
01-15-2019, 10:42 AM
I don't know what's "PC" about the message, "Hey, don't be a dick. Be better than that." I know, I know - back in my day, we used to pound those nerds into oblivion and now they're CEOs, so it must have worked right?

Literally NO ONE is saying masculinity is bad; the reference is toward toxic masculinity, and I'm sure it's something we've all taken apart of at some point in our lives here. Bullying, demeaning, undermining, mansplaining, etc.

Why wouldn't you want to grow and be the best version of you you can be? That's the message here. Christ.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta...

Tonka83
01-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Because "Toxic Masculinity" has become a code word for 'anything that is not feminine is bad and should be destroyed'.

Baby Lee
01-15-2019, 10:55 AM
You're turning obvious cultural black and whites into grey areas - for what purpose? Why conflate the issue at hand - reinforcing positive cultural norms? Why play devil's advocate on THAT? smh

Because the 'grey areas' exist regardless of whether they are beneficial to your black and white solution or not.

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 10:57 AM
Because the 'grey areas' exist regardless of whether they are beneficial to your black and white solution or not.

I like your use of the word "solution", FWIW.

Easy 6
01-15-2019, 11:20 AM
PC garbage, DJLN nails it again

Won't be buying refill cartridges for my Mach 5

DJ's left nut
01-15-2019, 11:33 AM

Because companies have been using that message to great effect for years and it doesn't come across as preachy bullshit.

Seriously - how often does "Hey, it's okay to be an asshole" sell a power drill? Of course it doesn't, but those ads can be made focusing on the pride of being a good person rather than that kind of virtue signaling horseshit.

Does the fact that this particular ad has inspired such a visceral reaction not speak directly to its problem? I mean contrast that with something as simple as those hokey "close shave America, close shave Barbesol" ads that demonstrate men working hard and then going home and being caring husbands and fathers - it's the same friggen message just not delivered in a bullshit condescending fashion.

Men don't need to be preached at not to be mouth-breathing neanderthals any more than women need to be scolded not to be judgmental screeching harpies. Again, if you flip this ad the other way, the vitriolic backlash would be deafening.

Then again, you used 'mansplaining' in a non-ironic manner so I'm guessing your definition of "the best version of you that you can be" is not going to align with anyone who didn't watch this ad and immediately damn their genitalia. I'll decide what the best version of me is, thank you.

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 11:35 AM
I haven't raped or bullied anyone since watching this ad. It must be working!!

CoMoChief
01-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Obama's Amerika

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 12:06 PM
https://i.redd.it/s2q7j0or8ha21.jpg

Mosbonian
01-15-2019, 12:10 PM

As for this ad - I'm just so tired of the projecting. Jesus Christ, who actually sits there and watches kids beat the shit out of each other? Or ignores bullies? Men take an absurd amount of pride in being fathers, though you'd never know it from television. I tend to treat raising the boy as an immense responsibility and the girls as something of a sacred trust. And I'm hardly special in this regard - this is common; it's decidedly average. For Gillette to throw this ad out there and not expect a resounding "**** you!" from the masses tells me a lot about who comprised that ad-team. I'm betting there wasn't a significant number of fathers putting that one together. If there were, someone would've sat back and said "hey now, maybe we shouldn't be hand-waiving the millions of responsible fathers in this country that are gonna see this and tell us to fist ourselves..."

Thank you for stating the obvious....saved me having to type my long rant.

We sometimes don't agree on things....but on this one you are dead on.

I don't need to be preached at to behave normally...and there is nothing toxic about masculinity in it's pure form.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 12:17 PM

The idea that men can do better given their tag line is a clever idea. Yeah, I agree we can challenge male behavior without threatening our masculinity. But the execution made me cringe. I support anti bullying and that there are way too many women with legitimate gripes. But the MeToo movement has actually made the problem worse by sensationalizing every small gripe with an over the top reaction while diluting legit gripes from the many women legitimately wronged. I also noticed how the as not so subtly tried to make sure the ad didn't send the wrong diversity message. You could practically play a drinking game and drink to all the ways they forced some kind of pc message in there.

I hope Gillette can course correct and do this the common sense way that would be great. I support the idea but this was a total swing and a miss.

SuperChief
01-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Because companies have been using that message to great effect for years and it doesn't come across as preachy bullshit.

Seriously - how often does "Hey, it's okay to be an asshole" sell a power drill? Of course it doesn't, but those ads can be made focusing on the pride of being a good person rather than that kind of virtue signaling horseshit.

Does the fact that this particular ad has inspired such a visceral reaction not speak directly to its problem? I mean contrast that with something as simple as those hokey "close shave America, close shave Barbesol" ads that demonstrate men working hard and then going home and being caring husbands and fathers - it's the same friggen message just not delivered in a bullshit condescending fashion.

Men don't need to be preached at not to be mouth-breathing neanderthals any more than women need to be scolded not to be judgmental screeching harpies. Again, if you flip this ad the other way, the vitriolic backlash would be deafening.

Then again, you used 'mansplaining' in a non-ironic manner so I'm guessing your definition of "the best version of you that you can be" is not going to align with anyone who didn't watch this ad and immediately damn their genitalia. I'll decide what the best version of me is, thank you.

What's preachy about it? If you aren't taking part in any of that conduct - why the hate? Are you part of the problem they're highlighting? If not - carry on. Be the best you, man.

ClevelandBronco
01-15-2019, 12:20 PM
...there is nothing toxic about masculinity in it's pure form.

This cannot be stated emphatically enough.

SuperChief
01-15-2019, 12:22 PM
The idea that men can do better given their tag line is a clever idea. Yeah, I agree we can challenge male behavior without threatening our masculinity. But the execution made me cringe. I support anti bullying and that there are way too many women with legitimate gripes. But the MeToo movement has actually made the problem worse by sensationalizing every small gripe with an over the top reaction while diluting legit gripes from the many women legitimately wronged. I also noticed how the as not so subtly tried to make sure the ad didn't send the wrong diversity message. You could practically play a drinking game and drink to all the ways they forced some kind of pc message in there.

I hope Gillette can course correct and do this the common sense way that would be great. I support the idea but this was a total swing and a miss.

This is the problem. This right here. That's such a patently false narrative that's not based in reality - whatsoever.

Now why would you reinforce this obviously wrong notion? Because it fits your narrative and the narrative that you've been told by your silo. Stop that.

Discuss Thrower
01-15-2019, 12:22 PM
What's preachy about it? If you aren't taking part in any of that conduct - why the hate? Are you part of the problem they're highlighting? If not - carry on. Be the best you, man.

Is DJLN a man?

If yes, he's part of the problem according to the narrative this ad is promoting.

SuperChief
01-15-2019, 12:23 PM
This cannot be stated emphatically enough.

Agree 100%. Just like there's nothing inherently wrong with femininity. It's all natural.

SuperChief
01-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Is DJLN a man?

If yes, he's part of the problem according to the narrative this ad is promoting.

You're so far off base, dude. It clearly pointed to issues that people are facing and said, "Hey, don't do that stuff. Step up and help people be better. You can be better."

What part of that says he's bad because he's a dude? Because it was about men-related issues?

Over Yonder
01-15-2019, 12:30 PM
And you know what stops bullying? When you stop being a pussy and stand up to them.

Back in the day, this was known as common sense. Where has that gone and when did it leave? :shrug:

FringeNC
01-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Imagine a commercial that highlighted recent terror attacks by Muslims, and the message of the commercial was "Muslims, be better human beings." Would you have a problem with that? Of course, very few Muslims are taking part in any of that conduct, so they'd be fine with it, right?

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 12:34 PM
This is the problem. This right here. That's such a patently false narrative that's not based in reality - whatsoever.

Now why would you reinforce this obviously wrong notion? Because it fits your narrative and the narrative that you've been told by your silo. Stop that.

ROFL
Silo? I'm pretty left of center on a lot of social issues. I support women's rights. I don't support the pc approach to exaggerating the issue to the point where good people get staked out in witch hunts because of semantically offensive comments, or where all men are terrible people instead of focusing energy on those who legitimately should do better. By attacking good men, they've ruined any legitimacy to their movement. And when a women who didn't like how she was looked at gripes and wins big, the loser is the women who was the victim of blatant discrimination or harassment.

ClevelandBronco
01-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Agree 100%. Just like there's nothing inherently wrong with femininity. It's all natural.

No one is questioning your femininity.

Fishpicker
01-15-2019, 12:44 PM
I'm just glad Gillette has cleaned up their image.

https://adage.com/article/news/gillette-offers-teenage-boys-date-carmen-electra/45694/

CINCINNATI (AdAge.com) -- In its latest bid to attract teenage males, Gillette Co.'s Tag body spray is offering them a date with a 33-year-old married woman -- MTV reality star Carmen Electra -- with bidding so far topping out at $17,200 on eBay.

Males ages 15 to 20 are eligible for the date with Ms. Electra, born Tara Leigh Patrick near Cincinnati before heading to Los Angeles for a recording and acting career that has included starring in the TV series Baywatch and a Playboy photo spread. Teens under 18 must get a parent or other adult to do the bidding on their behalf, per eBay rules.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Dads, teach your kids not to be dicks to men or to women, listen to your mother. Defend the vulnerable. If you're comfortable enough with yourself as a man, you don't need to pick on those who are different to prove how much a man you are. If you see something wrong, take a stand. And if you happen to be different, you do you. It doesn't make me more of a man to claim you're less of a man.

That was pretty simple and unpreachy. And lots of good men fit well into that category.

vailpass
01-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Well we both have something in common that my daughter was also bullied by another girl in school. But the amount she suffered at the hands of several boys far, far outweighed that, and was passed off by the teacher as "boys will be boys."

They were specific boys. Individuals. And still a greater number of individual boys never spoke up, to say it's not cool to giggle and smirk every time the teacher says the word come in a sentence. Or not cool to try to take an upskirt pic with your phone in class. Or other more worse things that happened.

The definition of apathy is not caring or not showing emotion. It's either not caring or not speaking if you do. It's indifference or complacency. So I'm not sure what you mean by using apathy to describe PC culture. I think that apathy is harmful is what this message is trying to convey. Trying.

I make ads, I can look at this as a craftsman in this industry and there are a lot of things I would have done differently, made the message more intelligent, more poignant and direct. But I respect the brand for taking the stance. People are talking about it and that's the goal. With that in mind, I chose to offer my opinion while the thread is here, and really I'm on this board to read and talk about the Chiefs. That's what I'd prefer to do.

And I'm not trying to preach to you about what type of man or father you should be, sorry if you took it that way. I said that, in my opinion, one of the greatest measures of a man is using your strength to help others. Be that open a jar of pickles, giving recognition to a subordinate, or stopping bully, no matter who it be.

Let's not kid ourselves here. This move by Gillette has nothing to do with principles, taking a stance, or any other altruistic motive.

Like every other move made by a profit-based company this move is about money.

Dollar Shave Club and the other home delivery razor companies are eating up Gillette's profits. They are viewed by the younger demos as an outmoded, overpriced brand and their numbers show it.

They needed to find a way to get back into the conversation so they jumped on the latest fad in America:metoo/masculinity is toxic.
And look. They are now on the headlines of all the news outlets, people are talking about them again.

Not altruism. Capitalism. NTTAWWT.

Marcellus
01-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Let me know when Tampax does one of these for teenage girls, which happen to be the meanest creatures on earth.

And make sure to ask most women who they would rather work with, men, or other women.

The whole commercial is based on a culture from 1970.

Good grief what a bunch of fuck sticks.

FringeNC
Let's not kid ourselves here. This move by Gillette has nothing to do with principles, taking a stance, or any other altruistic motive.

Like every other move made by a profit-based company this move is about money.

Dollar Shave Club and the other home delivery razor companies are eating up Gillette's profits. They are viewed by the younger demos as an outmoded, overpriced brand and their numbers show it.

They needed to find a way to get back into the conversation so they jumped on the latest fad in America:metoo/masculinity is toxic.
And look. They are now on the headlines of all the news outlets, people are talking about them again.

Not altruism. Capitalism. NTTAWWT.

In the divisive times we live in, these firms are going to need to know where their customers stand on these issues, and I don't think right now they've thought things through. I think these are low-level SJWs at work here. You could be right, but I think they made a mistake. Do you think it was really in ESPN's interest to go full-SJW? Seems like they have pulled back a bit.

Saulbadguy
Great commercial. Still won't buy their products.

bdj23
01-15-2019, 12:58 PM

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/025/124/7a2.jpg

vailpass
01-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Another problem with this ad is it encourages douche nozzles to think it's okay to be a douche nozzle.

vailpass
01-15-2019, 01:19 PM
In the divisive times we live in, these firms are going to need to know where their customers stand on these issues, and I don't think right now they've thought things through. I think these are low-level SJWs at work here. You could be right, but I think they made a mistake. Do you think it was really in ESPN's interest to go full-SJW? Seems like they have pulled back a bit.

I don't know if they were right or wrong, time will tell. I only know their bottom-line reason for doing it was for their bottom line.

As to espn, I will never understand why they chose to torpedo their customer base and I never will. They, like CNN, went from a once respected news source to...whatever you'd call them now.

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Man, if this was a move to generate more profit, especially amongst digital media-savvy millennials, ouch...

Fishpicker
01-15-2019, 01:40 PM
YT ratings don't matter.

Market Summary > Procter & Gamble Co
NYSE: PG
91.88 USD +0.73 (0.80%)

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 01:44 PM
YT ratings don't matter.

Market Summary > Procter & Gamble Co
NYSE: PG
91.88 USD +0.73 (0.80%)

P&G is much, much bigger than just the Gillette BU. Their stock price is not an indication of the success of this campaign.

Fishpicker
01-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Their stock price is not an indication of the success of this campaign.

not yet. the marketers know what they are doing.

vailpass
01-15-2019, 02:09 PM
P&G is much, much bigger than just the Gillette BU. Their stock price is not an indication of the success of this campaign.

^
Need stand-alone numbers from Gillette to do the kind of comparison he's trying to do there.

Frazod
01-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Isn't this the same bunch who recently got busted putting asbestos in their talcum powder for decades?

They're having kind of a shitty couple of months.

FringeNC
01-15-2019, 02:15 PM
not yet. the marketers know what they are doing.

I dunno. Disney's decisions with ESPN and the Star Wars franchise suggest otherwise. Hasn't Disney cancelled a bunch of Star Wars films given the backlash?

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 02:28 PM

Yeah, p&g is in a league of its own when it comes to brand management. If this was a dud, they'll know. I don't think it was great advertising. But often times stuff I hate wasn't targeted to me. Thing is, p&g wouldn't release a campaign like this unless they had a ton of research to say it was a good idea. It'll be interesting to see how they respond.

Fishpicker
01-15-2019, 02:37 PM
I dunno. Disney's decisions with ESPN and the Star Wars franchise suggest otherwise. Hasn't Disney cancelled a bunch of Star Wars films given the backlash?

you're assuming that Disney did not intend to cause a disturbance in the force. Disney did the same with Marvel comics.

Fishpicker
01-15-2019, 02:38 PM
But often times stuff I hate wasn't targeted to me.

that's pretty key

Marcellus
01-15-2019, 02:45 PM
that's pretty key

So what you are saying is Gillette is targeting all the millennial feminazis because both the soy boys and their girlfriends need to start shaving and working on their personal hygiene.

Genius!

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 02:52 PM
that's pretty key

Who are they targeting then?

The suggestion was that they were targeting a younger demographic, specifically audiences on platforms like YouTube. By a 3:1, their YouTube audience HATES it.

If you're suggesting they're marketing to somebody other than what has been suggested, that's a fair point.

If you're suggesting that people here are just reacting because THEY don't like it, that's not valid. The overwhelming majority of viewers so far don't like it.

Fishpicker
01-15-2019, 02:52 PM
no. Gillette is targeting women in general because women are responsible for 80% of consumer spending.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5PaRn2-YfTI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 02:53 PM
no. Gillette is targeting women in general because women are responsible for 80% of consumer spending.

There's a lot of women that don't like the video at all. The #metoo movement is actually relatively small, statistically speaking.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 03:04 PM
Who are they targeting then?

The suggestion was that they were targeting a younger demographic, specifically audiences on platforms like YouTube. By a 3:1, their YouTube audience HATES it.

If you're suggesting they're marketing to somebody other than what has been suggested, that's a fair point.

If you're suggesting that people here are just reacting because THEY don't like it, that's not valid. The overwhelming majority of viewers so far don't like it.

The majority of viewers is based on your read on the reactions. They don't care about general population. They care about their target audience. If I had to guess, they're targeting millennials and younger because they are prime targets in the razor category. Older customers are not. Many are brand loyal by now and despite their outrage, not many will switch to a razor they hate to protest an ad. Not the approach I take because they may have alienated many of their best customers. But basically, if this does really well with younger men they won't give two shits about how many older customers they lose.

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 03:09 PM
The majority of viewers is based on your read on the reactions. They don't care about general population. They care about their target audience. If I had to guess, they're targeting millennials and younger because they are prime targets in the razor category. Older customers are not. Many are brand loyal by now and despite their outrage, not many will switch to a razor they hate to protest an ad. Not the approach I take because they may have alienated many of their best customers. But basically, if this does really well with younger men they won't give two shits about how many older customers they lose.

Who uses YouTube the most? The exact audience they want to target.

It has 350,000 down votes and only 1/3 as many likes. How could anybody spin that as a win?

Fishpicker has a point - if they're targeting women, at least this isn't as bad a sign. But if they're targeting millennials males, this is bad. There's no way to say otherwise.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 03:10 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5PaRn2-YfTI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You both are probably right. Females are probably a big part of the strategy since they both influence male razor purchase but also buy razors of their own. But many could view over patronizing to be a turnoff. Again... I get the strategy but the execution seems really weak.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Who uses YouTube the most? The exact audience they want to target.

It has 350,000 down votes and only 1/3 as many likes. How could anybody spin that as a win?

Fishpicker has a point - if they're targeting women, at least this isn't as bad a sign. But if they're targeting millennials males, this is bad. There's no way to say otherwise.

I don't think up or downvoting is necessarily an indicator that millennials reject the ad. Even if adults use YouTube less, every single person triggered by the as is going to go to the ad and vote. So I'd be careful with that kind of metric. Again, I personally didn't like the ad and could easily see if younger folks thought it was too pc... But that is only what I see. The true marker is how Gillette carries this campaign future forward. If they insist on sticking with it with minimal tweaks they're seeing something we're not.

Stormageddon
01-15-2019, 03:19 PM
https://youtu.be/9fWxCIi5PIw

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 03:22 PM
I don't think up or downvoting is necessarily an indicator that millennials reject the ad. Even if adults use YouTube less, every single person triggered by the as is going to go to the ad and vote. So I'd be careful with that kind of metric. Again, I personally didn't like the ad and could easily see if younger folks thought it was too pc... But that is only what I see. The true marker is how Gillette carries this campaign future forward. If they insist on sticking with it with minimal tweaks they're seeing something we're not.

"Triggering" affects both sides, though. That's why you saw the thing with 100K down votes and 10K likes at one point - because the "against" crowd was showing up to down vote it.

It evened out over time yesterday because once the "for" crowd caught wind of what the "against" crowd was doing, they did the same thing.

In essence, social media "triggering" or backlash or whatever you want to call it, usually serves to only inflate total vote counts, not just one side or the other. But I'm speaking in generalities of course.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 03:34 PM
"Triggering" affects both sides, though. That's why you saw the thing with 100K down votes and 10K likes at one point - because the "against" crowd was showing up to down vote it.

It evened out over time yesterday because once the "for" crowd caught wind of what the "against" crowd was doing, they did the same thing.

In essence, social media "triggering" or backlash or whatever you want to call it, usually serves to only inflate total vote counts, not just one side or the other. But I'm speaking in generalities of course.

Im just talking about how YouTube being a younger media doesn't mean the vote results are representative of a younger audience. Lots of older adults undoubtedly voted even when they usually don't vote on videos.

And these votes are heavily biased to triggered reactions. Those who despised it and those who loved it. Especially for millennials, I'm sure there are tons who have a reaction, but aren't really triggered either way. That's a really significant part of the target audience.

Again...i tend to agree millennials probably found the ad too patronizing. But I'd just be careful relying on our interpretation of public reaction. I'd pay a lot more attention to how Gillette responds.

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Im just talking about how YouTube being a younger media doesn't mean the vote results are representative of a younger audience. Lots of older adults undoubtedly voted even when they usually don't vote on videos.

And these votes are heavily biased to triggered reactions. Those who despised it and those who loved it. Especially for millennials, I'm sure there are tons who have a reaction, but aren't really triggered either way.

Again...i tend to agree millennials probably found the ad too patronizing. But I'd just be careful relying on our interpretation of public reaction. I'd pay a lot more attention to how Gillette responds.

Okay, I get that.

Then again, if your argument is that most people just weren't moved enough to click thumbs up or thumbs down, how are they going to be moved enough to buy Gillette over some other brand?

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 03:38 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/iJxHzcuNcCJXi/giphy.gif

Rams Fan
01-15-2019, 03:40 PM

The thing is, what's portrayed in the ad, isn't "toxic masculinity".

Sexual harassment, sexual assault, etc. can be done by both men and women. Those are legal crimes. Portraying it as only a male issue is dumb and wrong.

Do I agree with the message that I think Gillete is trying to portray that bad behavior shouldn't be tolerated? Yes. Do I think that scape goating it and making it seem as a social norm and only a male issue is the right way to go about it? **** no.

SuperChief
01-15-2019, 03:55 PM
The thing is, what's portrayed in the ad, isn't "toxic masculinity".

Sexual harassment, sexual assault, etc. can be done by both men and women. Those are legal crimes. Portraying it as only a male issue is dumb and wrong.

Do I agree with the message that I think Gillete is trying to portray that bad behavior shouldn't be tolerated? Yes. Do I think that scape goating it and making it seem as a social norm and only a male issue is the right way to go about it? **** no.

Beer is consumed by both men and women. Who do you think beer commercials are targeting? And why would that be?

Fishpicker
01-15-2019, 03:56 PM

this is true.

consider the following
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ovY6yjTe1LE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this vid used to have a down-skewed ratio. now it has 7k up vs 5k down.

BIG_DADDY
01-15-2019, 03:58 PM
1. Laser hair removal for the women.
2. Harry's for the men 10x better.
3. Fuck Gillette the best a Metro can get.

On a real note having a son I can tell you that everyone I know says girls are much more cruel and the bullying is far worse.

Last I checked hitting on a woman wasn't uncool and saying sweetie is far from over the top.

I have never in my life seen adults not break up kids legitimately fighting so I am not sure what that is all about. Wrestling and grappling is all good if they are both wanting to do it so I am not sure about that either. My son is in a very high testosterone environment competing in multiple martial arts. He is also the most anti-bully kid you will ever meet so once again the assumptions they make are incorrect. He quit getting involved with protecting girls from other girls though because in his own words, girls are crazy.

BIG_DADDY
01-15-2019, 03:59 PM
this is true.

consider the following
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ovY6yjTe1LE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this vid used to have a down-skewed ratio. now it has 7k up vs 5k down.

Or they just change the numbers, it is youtube.

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Our society has been reduced to internet thumbs.

Rams Fan
Beer is consumed by both men and women. Who do you think beer commercials are targeting? And why would that be?

Because I presume the majority of their consumers are male.

Still doesn't excuse marginalizing a consumer base by saying, "Because you are a man, you do bad things."

SuperChief
The message in this commercial doesn't come across as "don't be a bad man." It comes across as "being a man is bad." Or more "all men are bad, all you ****ers need to change."

DJ's Left Nut, as usual, sums it up pretty eloquently.

I think that says a TON about you. I don't know anything about you personally, yet I know everything I need to know now. Poor little dude.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Okay, I get that.

Then again, if your argument is that most people just weren't moved enough to click thumbs up or thumbs down, how are they going to be moved enough to buy Gillette over some other brand?

Branding doesn't have to lead to immediate action.

If a young person didn't have a visceral reaction, chances are this ad isn't going to sway them to not buy. A slight positive impression could be enough to consider buying. But the biggest impact will be the brand activity. They see Gillette's name all over the place. The question is if that's enough to balance any negative reaction that leads to lost sales. It's polarizing of an ad enough to fairly ask that question.

Discuss Thrower
I think that says a TON about you. I don't know anything about you personally, yet I know everything I need to know now. Poor little dude.

It says he's better at critical analysis than you are, chiefly.

SuperChief
Because I presume the majority of their consumers are male.

Still doesn't excuse marginalizing a consumer base by saying, "Because you are a man, you do bad things."

Your perception that the message was "All men are bad" is very telling, as us normies over here can hear the actual message. Jesus - what even are you?

SuperChief
01-15-2019, 04:03 PM
It says he's better at critical analysis than you are, chiefly.

I don't think feeding your blind rationalizations has anything to do with "critical analysis." Hit me up when that makes any lick of sense, mkay?

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Oh fuck off.

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 04:06 PM
I don't think feeding your blind rationalizations has anything to do with "critical analysis." Hit me up when that makes any lick of sense, mkay?

I write advertising for a living. I actually have to consider things like not pissing off a huge chunk of my client's customer base.

Rams Fan
01-15-2019, 04:07 PM
Your perception that the message was "All men are bad" is very telling, as us normies over here can hear the actual message. Jesus - what even are you?

"Normies" don't use the word "toxic masculinity" to describe what people like Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Matt Lauer do.

Do you, as a "normie", realize that Gillette acting patriarchal is portraying the exact fucking problem that the commercial seems to be addressing?

Third Eye
01-15-2019, 04:08 PM
You guys must have some kick ass lives if this is the kind of shit that gets you worked up; a fucking tv commercial.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 04:08 PM
I write advertising for a living. I actually have to consider things like not pissing off a huge chunk of my client's customer base.

The real question is if it was more positive than negative to millennials and younger audience. Could be, but who knows. I don't think Gillette cares about pissing off older audiences. Razor category values acquiring younger customers a lot more than keeping older ones.

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Branding doesn't have to lead to immediate action.

If a young person didn't have a visceral reaction, chances are this ad isn't going to sway them to not buy. A slight positive impression could be enough to consider buying. But the biggest impact will be the brand activity. They see Gillette's name all over the place. The question is if that's enough to balance any negative reaction that leads to lost sales. It's polarizing of an ad enough to fairly ask that question.

So basically the old adage that the only bad press is no press? I don't know about that.

But it will sure be interesting to see what happens in the coming months.

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 04:12 PM
The real question is if it was more positive than negative to millennials and younger audience. Could be, but who knows. I don't think Gillette cares about pissing off older audiences. Razor category values acquiring younger customers a lot more than keeping older ones.

Nobody values losing customers. They could have made this ad in a less idiotic way, with the same message they were attempting to deliver, and had positive feedback from everyone.

Marcellus

I am impressed at your ability to completely and totally miss the true point of almost every conversation involving SJW topics.

The add is insulting on many many levels as it very simply driving a false male stereotype.

For example the guy suddenly deciding to break up the 2 boys fighting at the BBQ because he had some sort of epiphany, as if breaking up the fight isn't the norm and letting them just wail away on each other isn't the extreme outlier.

Every visual example used in the stupid video is the outlier and not the norm.

htismaqe
"Normies" don't use the word "toxic masculinity" to describe what people like Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Matt Lauer do.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tumblr.com%2F82f3c668cbe63141dcd0fb78435bd1a8%2Ftumblr_inline_ms09d5P58K1qz4rg p.gif&f=1

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 04:23 PM
Nobody values losing customers. They could have made this ad in a less idiotic way, with the same message they were attempting to deliver, and had positive feedback from everyone.

I don't think it's an effective ad execution. I totally agree it could be done better. I'm just pointing out that for the razor category, younger customers are a hell of a lot more valuable than older customers. Probably now more than ever. I'm sure they don't want to lose customers, but if they gained enough high value customers, then the ad achieves what it wanted to do.

Again, I don't know if that actually happened. But I disagree that they're too concerned about alienating older audiences.

Easy 6
01-15-2019, 04:24 PM
I am impressed at your ability to completely and totally miss the true point of almost every conversation involving SJW topics.

The add is insulting on many many levels as it very simply driving a false male stereotype.

For example the guy suddenly deciding to break up the 2 boys fighting at the BBQ because he had some sort of epiphany, as if breaking up the fight isn't the norm and letting them just wail away on each other isn't the extreme outlier.

Every visual example used in the stupid video is the outlier and not the norm.

SuperQueef is one of the 3 biggest nothing's on this board, don't bother with him

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 04:30 PM
I don't think it's an effective ad execution. I totally agree it could be done better. I'm just pointing out that for the razor category, younger customers are a hell of a lot more valuable than older customers. Probably now more than ever. I'm sure they don't want to lose customers, but if they gained enough high value customers, then the ad achieves what it wanted to do.

Again, I don't know if that actually happened. But I disagree that they're too concerned about alienating older audiences.

First of all, I'm not sure the alienation is limited to "older audiences." I've seen plenty of evidence that suggests you are pulling that out of your ass. Second, do older men not shave anymore? Do they not buy razors? What makes you think a younger audience is more valuable beyond the fact that they are likely to live longer so might be around to buy razors in the distant future? Third, I'm pretty sure if you asked the Gillette brass if they would be okay with pissing off a big segment of their customer base, they probably wouldn't be.

CoMoChief
01-15-2019, 04:31 PM
You guys must have some kick ass lives if this is the kind of shit that gets you worked up;a fucking tv commercial.

It's not "just" the tv commercials..It's the overlying problem of EVERYTHING in today's modern culture is all about being anti-white heterosexual male, and they're indoctrinating the next generations to believe this garbage.

TV shows, music, movies, sports etc...you can't turn on your TV or browse the interwebz without coming across this nonsense. Everyone is offended now by anything and everything, and it's all being programmed into us via media and most people don't even know it nor do they care. smh

Baby Lee
01-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Do you, as a "normie", realize that Gillette acting patriarchal is portraying the exact fucking problem that the commercial seems to be addressing?

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tumblr.com%2F82f3c668cbe63141dcd0fb78435bd1a8%2Ftumblr_inline_ms09d5P58K1qz4rg p.gif&f=1

https://media1.tenor.com/images/9710139d502c7e28ee8094f5a5a8069d/tenor.gif?itemid=4515195

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 04:57 PM
First of all, I'm not sure the alienation is limited to "older audiences." I've seen plenty of evidence that suggests you are pulling that out of your ass. Second, do older men not shave anymore? Do they not buy razors? What makes you think a younger audience is more valuable beyond the fact that they are likely to live longer so might be around to buy razors in the distant future. Third, I'm pretty sure if you asked the Gillette brass if they would be okay with pissing of a big segment of their customer base, they probably wouldn't be.

Like I said, I don't know if it alienated younger audiences or not. I didn't like the ad and it's no doubt polarizing for younger audiences. Maybe for the worse. I don't know. I'm not a millennial and won't pretend to know what they're thinking.

But in terms of customer lifetime value, no doubt younger customers are more valuable. Razors are an extremely brand loyal category. You have to get them early or else it's really difficult to get them to switch. Goes without saying you'd rather acquire a new customer who'll be there for 30 years even if it means losing a customer who'll only buy from you for 10 more years. Especially important if younger customers are starting to get picked off by shave clubs.

CrazyPhuD
01-15-2019, 05:19 PM

True, but hipsters don't shave, so it's not clear if they added younger customers.

CrazyPhuD
01-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Now what would be hilarious is if Schick came out with a modern day version of this in response...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gXDSxgDUv-c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PHOG
01-15-2019, 05:30 PM
:spock:

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 05:54 PM
True, but hipsters don't shave, so it's not clear if they added younger customers.

His analysis is more than likely not even true. There are a lot of variables and he is talking out of his ass. But i wish him luck in his new ad agency. He is going to need it.

Third Eye
01-15-2019, 05:56 PM
It's not "just" the tv commercials..It's the overlying problem of EVERYTHING in today's modern culture is all about being anti-white heterosexual male, and they're indoctrinating the next generations to believe this garbage.

TV shows, music, movies, sports etc...you can't turn on your TV or browse the interwebz without coming across this nonsense. Everyone is offended now by anything and everything, and it's all being programmed into us via media and most people don't even know it nor do they care. smh

So the answer is to be more offended?

Fishpicker
01-15-2019, 06:25 PM
there's more
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f257fRqcF58" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P&G is most concerned with intersectional equality

in·ter·sec·tion·al·i·ty
/ˌin(t)ərsekSHəˈnalədē/Submit
noun
the interconnected nature of social categorizations such as race, class, and gender as they apply to a given individual or group, regarded as creating overlapping and interdependent systems of discrimination or disadvantage.

vailpass
01-15-2019, 06:33 PM

LMAO
Your moms would be proud.

FringeNC
01-15-2019, 06:33 PM
there's more
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f257fRqcF58" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P&G is most concerned with intersectional equality

in·ter·sec·tion·al·i·ty
/ˌin(t)ərsekSHəˈnalədē/Submit
noun
the interconnected nature of social categorizations such as race, class, and gender as they apply to a given individual or group, regarded as creating overlapping and interdependent systems of discrimination or disadvantage.

JFC. As if this thread could get worse -- now we're talking about the joke that is intersectionality? I didn't realize Gillette was filled with cultural Marxists.

Pointer19
01-15-2019, 06:35 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_qtVNnaTtKU?start=2748" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Start at 45:50 for Shapiro's take on the ad.)

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 06:59 PM
His analysis is more than likely not even true. There are a lot of variables and he is talking out of his ass. But i wish him luck in his new ad agency. He is going to need it.

ROFL
Youre the one claiming you know for certain young people hate it because you've observed (with no data to back it up) that young people hated the ad. I didn't claim anything. You of all people should know that ad testing often comes back entirely different from what you personally observed. I didn't say young people loved it or hated it. I said I don't know. I'm not talking out of my ass because I didn't say the ad worked or didn't work. You did.

Beef Supreme
01-15-2019, 07:57 PM
ROFL
Youre the one claiming you know for certain young people hate it because you've observed (with no data to back it up) that young people hated the ad. I didn't claim anything. You of all people should know that ad testing often comes back entirely different from what you personally observed. I didn't say young people loved it or hated it. I said I don't know. I'm not talking out of my ass because I didn't say the ad worked or didn't work. You did.

I didn't claim to know for certain anything. You claimed it was old people who felt alienated. I said I don't know if that is the case, but have seen some evidence that it included people of all ages. You claim that young and new customers are inherently more valuable than existing customers, and I think you are overestimating that worth. Yes, young and new customers are important, but maybe not at the expense of existing customers. Brand loyalty applies to the people who have been loyal to the damn brand, as well. I said I don't think any company values losing customers, and you fucking debated that point, of all the crazy shit I have heard.

But whatever. I'm out.

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 08:20 PM
JFC. As if this thread could get worse -- now we're talking about the joke that is intersectionality? I didn't realize Gillette was filled with cultural Marxists.

Dude, really?

This kind of stuff exists in the management structure of nearly every major corporation in America. The only difference is that they aren't building advertising campaigns out of it. YET.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 08:21 PM
I didn't claim to know for certain anything. You claimed it was old people who felt alienated. I said I don't know if that is the case, but have seen some evidence that it included people of all ages. You claim that young and new customers are inherently more valuable than existing customers, and I think you are overestimating that worth. Yes, young and new customers are important, but maybe not at the expense of existing customers. Brand loyalty applies to the people who have been loyal to the damn brand, as well. I said I don't think any company values losing customers, and you ****ing debated that point, of all the crazy shit I have heard.

But whatever. I'm out.

Why is that weird to say younger audiences are LESS likely to be alienated by social justice messaging. The ad was clearly targeted to a younger audience. Did it actually hit the mark? I have no idea. It's polarizing enough that it wouldn't at all surprise me if it whiffed.

And yes, young customers for the razor category are significantly more valuable than older customers. Not just a little. A lot. It's simple customer lifetime value and switching costs. That's not talking out my ass. That's simple economics. No company values losing customers, but acquiring 1 young customer is probably worth losing a few older ones in the razor category. Not that that's even much of a risk, since brand loyal customers are far less likely to leave, even if they hate an ad like this.

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 08:24 PM
I said I don't think any company values losing customers

Not to go off topic, but there are some service providers (cable, mobile, and the like) that don't work too hard to retain customers. Not all of them but some of them. A lot of them don't mind moderate churn because they make just as much money losing a customer for 2 years and then signing them up again after they leave the competition as they do just trying to keep them.

htismaqe
01-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Why is that weird to say younger audiences are LESS likely to be alienated by social justice messaging. The ad was clearly targeted to a younger audience. Did it actually hit the mark? I have no idea. It's polarizing enough that it wouldn't at all surprise me if it whiffed.

And yes, young customers for the razor category are significantly more valuable than older customers. Not just a little. A lot. It's simple customer lifetime value and switching costs. That's not talking out my ass. That's simple economics. No company values losing customers, but acquiring 1 young customer is probably worth losing a few older ones in the razor category. Not that that's even much of a risk, since brand loyal customers are far less likely to leave, even if they hate an ad like this.

Honestly, we're sitting here talking about branding and sales and quite possibly, Gillette doesn't even see it that way. Purchasing razors, like many things in this country, comes down to price for most people. They aren't going to pay a premium either way just because Gillette does something like this or their competitors don't. It's freaking razors.

This is just another way for the elites in this country to use their money and power to tell us all how much better than us they are. Us cretins out here beating our wives and spanking our secretaries.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Honestly, we're sitting here talking about branding and sales and quite possibly, Gillette doesn't even see it that way. Purchasing razors, like many things in this country, comes down to price for most people. They aren't going to pay a premium either way just because Gillette does something like this or their competitors don't. It's freaking razors.

This is just another way for the elites in this country to use their money and power to tell us all how much better than us they are. Us cretins out here beating our wives and spanking our secretaries.

I don't see that. P&G is a brand machine. They don't do anything without a shitload of testing. There's tons of business logic for going after a millennial target. Purchasing razors is much less price sensitive than many typical OTC categories (just read brand loyalty is something like 36%). It's a reason Gillette has been gouging customers for years with crazy margins. Young customers are big-time customer targets for Gillette, and they're getting picked off left and right by online shave clubs. To me, this felt like an idea that made strategic sense, but the execution was way too cheesy... which maybe has something to do with your second point.

AssEaterChief
01-15-2019, 08:44 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_qtVNnaTtKU?start=2748" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's an entitled political worm, but he's not wrong on this. There are tons of holes in that ad.

lewdog
01-15-2019, 08:54 PM
I already taught me son how to cat-call women.

Fuck off Gillette.

Raiderhater
01-15-2019, 08:57 PM
You're so far off base, dude. It clearly pointed to issues that people are facing and said, "Hey, don't do that stuff. Step up and help people be better. You can be better."

What part of that says he's bad because he's a dude? Because it was about men-related issues?

Yes. And it is bad specifically because they are NOT men-related issues. Females bully. Females sexually harass.

Gillette makes shaving products for women as well as men, yet did their commercial target them as well? No, it targets the terrible misconception that these issues arise solely from masculinity.

I, for one, am going to keep being toxically masculine using my straight razor to shave instead of their expensive and crappy products.

Otter
01-15-2019, 08:58 PM

Fishpicker
01-15-2019, 10:00 PM

Everybody should check out the last few pages of the meme contest (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305502&page=520) thread in DC. Gillette brand is taking a beating

threebag
01-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Glad I don’t use their blades

GloryDayz
01-16-2019, 06:24 AM
Need Clay to replace Zorro with Gillette.. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190116/31f571ba51bfeccced47e517d272f167.jpg

T-post Tom
01-16-2019, 07:23 AM
https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/get-started/plan/options (https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/get-started/plan/options)

T-post Tom
01-16-2019, 07:31 AM

Spot on.

Mephistopheles Janx
01-16-2019, 06:24 PM
LOLOLOL

https://i.imgur.com/lqvVxq0.jpg

Baby Lee
01-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Holy fuck!!

It completely eluded me that they put Ana FUCKING Kasparian in their ad.

Fuck these bozos. That cunt is toxic.

displacedinMN
01-17-2019, 09:01 AM
What are the other agendas here?

Patriots feeling disrespected?
Trying to drive sales (backfiring)
Owner wants to sell?
someone in marketing thought it was a good idea-after getting married to a SJW?

Frazod
01-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Holy fuck!!

It completely eluded me that they put Ana FUCKING Kasparian in their ad.

Fuck these bozos. That cunt is toxic.

Any time I'm feeling down I go to YouTube and watch the TYT's election night coverage. It's like popcorn for the soul. :)

EyePod
01-17-2019, 09:41 AM

I watched it twice now and have to agree.

I know a ton of sexist assholes who look at women as assholes. I see myself and my friends doing a better job than our parents did trying to handle these types of issues did, and I see that my parents did a better job than THEIR parents.

I think we're improving it overall, and discussing this in general isn't bad. But we're all at such different places on the spectrum, and this ad seems to really throw out a lot of assumptions.

EyePod
01-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Holy ****!!

It completely eluded me that they put Ana ****ING Kasparian in their ad.

**** these bozos. That **** is toxic.

Who is she? I've never heard of her, and I'm pretty current on the political news.

Baby Lee
01-17-2019, 09:48 AM
Who is she? I've never heard of her, and I'm pretty current on the political news.

The Young Turks, w/ Cenk Uygur . . .

EyePod
01-17-2019, 09:50 AM
The Young Turks, w/ Cenk Uygur . . .

I saw young turks during primaries and realized they were garbage entertainment political talking heads like fox or MSNBC - not news. Haven't watched them since.

Baby Lee
01-17-2019, 09:53 AM
I saw young turks during primaries and realized they were garbage entertainment political talking heads like fox or MSNBC - not news. Haven't watched them since.

Yeah, they aren't exactly the center of my universe either, but then I didn't pick that clip for my national ad campaign.

SuperBowl4
01-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Gillette Stadium - home of the New England Patriots

EyePod
01-17-2019, 10:37 AM
Yeah, they aren't exactly the center of my universe either, but then I didn't pick that clip for my national ad campaign.

Agreed. You all seem to know who they are. I'd be pissed if they threw in Tucker or Maddow unless it somehow had the two skipping around holding hands.

GloryDayz
01-17-2019, 11:37 AM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5268/5662562840_a0ae294a6c_b.jpg

The Franchise
01-17-2019, 11:53 AM
So when will Tampax come out and discourage all the shit that women talk about each other because of body size....breast size....hair color....

BIG_DADDY
01-17-2019, 11:57 AM

Look at the gap on that. Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

luv
01-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Good message, but could have cut off the first 50 seconds.

Lzen
01-17-2019, 12:53 PM
My apologies if this has already been posted.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6VnTNDxnikU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

luv
01-17-2019, 01:06 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6VnTNDxnikU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry, I couldn't finish listening to her hypocrisy. She says that it's wrong to hold all men accountable for the acts of a few, then goes on and blames the leftists for promoting sex before marriage, glorifying pornography...blah blah blah. Not all leftists do these things, and leftists are not the only people who have sex before marriage, nor are they the only ones who watch porn (that's the last point I could stand listening to).

luv
01-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Sorry, I couldn't finish listening to her hypocrisy. She says that it's wrong to hold all men accountable for the acts of a few, then goes on and blames the leftists for promoting sex before marriage, glorifying pornography...blah blah blah. Not all leftists do these things, and leftists are not the only people who have sex before marriage, nor are they the only ones who watch porn (that's the last point I could stand listening to).

I agree with the point she was making (not all men should be held accountable for the acts of a few), but totally not the BS after the initial comments. As I said earlier I like the message at the end of the ad about setting an example, but all of the political BS at the beginning of the video was completely unnecessary.

BIG_DADDY
01-17-2019, 01:19 PM

But wait, isn't that the exact same thing that is happening in the commercial. I have yet to see an adult male or female not break up kids legitimately fighting as an example yet you like the commercial. One you like and the other you can't stand. Give me a break.

luv
01-17-2019, 01:21 PM
But wait, isn't that the exact same thing that is happening in the commercial. I have yet to see an adult male or female not break up kids legitimately fighting as an example yet you like the commercial. One you like and the other you can't stand. Give me a break.

Okay. Take a break.

In58men
01-17-2019, 01:25 PM
The pussification of America continues

Why is it that you need America to be portrayed as tough bad asses?

BIG_DADDY
01-17-2019, 01:27 PM
Why is it that you need America to be portrayed as tough bad asses?

One has nothing to do with the other. Nice try.

In58men
01-17-2019, 01:29 PM
One has nothing to do with the other. Nice try.

America pussificiation?

I think it does.

BIG_DADDY
01-17-2019, 01:39 PM
America pussificiation?

I think it does.

The need of some in our society to constantly emasculate males has nothing to with wanting to project America as a bunch of bad asses. Why is emasculating males so important to you? There is already so much estrogen in our food and water we got 10 year old girls running around with boobs. Where are you looking for this to go dude?

In58men
01-17-2019, 01:49 PM
The need of some in our society to constantly emasculate males has nothing to with wanting to project America as a bunch of bad asses. Why is emasculating males so important to you? There is already so much estrogen in our food and water we got 10 year old girls running around with boobs. Where are you looking for this to go dude?

What does it matter to you if you’re being emasculated?

This world is changing, get use to it. Go shoot your guns and drink your Budweiser if you’re feeling unmanly.

BIG_DADDY
01-17-2019, 01:52 PM

This place gets weirder every day. Please wipe up your snail trail on the way out.

Not even sure why you like football. Maybe you should be watching reruns of The Real instead of the game.

SuperChief
01-17-2019, 02:22 PM
This place gets weirder every day. Please wipe up your snail trail on the way out.

Not even sure why you like football. Maybe you should be watching reruns of The Real instead of the game.

Watch out, everyone! Billy Badass in the house! How many cans can you smash on your forehead? I'm betting a lot!

In58men
01-17-2019, 02:36 PM
Watch out, everyone! Billy Badass in the house! How many cans can you smash on your forehead? I'm betting a lot!

ROFL

Facts

chiefzilla1501
01-17-2019, 02:38 PM

The need to counter emasculation is also the nonsense that led to critics waging war on Mr. Rogers. I thought Gillettes ad was a caricature of every male stereotype which is why I didn't like it... But it's another thing to defend that caricature. As long as they're not rubbing your face in it, I don't think not accepting someone whos different makes you any more of a man. In fact, I would say it's manly as hell to defend the bullied.

TinyEvel
01-17-2019, 02:44 PM
There is already so much estrogen in our food and water we got 10 year old girls running around with boobs. Where are you looking for this to go dude?

Are you implying that someone is putting Estrogen in the water supply to emasculate America?

BIG_DADDY
01-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Are you implying that someone is putting Estrogen in the water supply to emasculate America?

No

BIG_DADDY
01-17-2019, 02:49 PM
The need to counter emasculation is also the nonsense that led to critics waging war on Mr. Rogers. I thought Gillettes ad was a caricature of every male stereotype which is why I didn't like it... But it's another thing to defend that caricature. As long as they're not rubbing your face in it, I don't think not accepting someone whos different makes you any more of a man. In fact, I would say it's manly as hell to defend the bullied.

Different is fine. My son is totally the anti-bully, I couldn't agree more.

Truth is girls in school are much more brutal to other girls just like women are much more brutal to other women than men will ever be to each other in society.

GloryDayz
01-17-2019, 07:32 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

GloryDayz
01-17-2019, 07:39 PM

This world is changing, get use to it. Go shoot your guns and drink your Budweiser if you’re feeling unmanly.

Ouch. I get the Budweiser comment (Bed sucks), but what's wrong with shooting?

RunKC
01-17-2019, 07:41 PM
We collectively have the least masculine men in any time of human history and they want us to be even less masculine.

Yeah..uhh..no.

displacedinMN
01-22-2019, 10:13 AM
Men are being forgotten and pushed aside. Men of all races.

Progressives should stop avoiding men's issues
That women remain victims in many ways does not negate the reality that many men are struggling with economic and cultural changes, and that there are ripple effects.
By Andrew L. Yarrow JANUARY 21, 2019 — 6:24PM

Millions of American men are disconnected from work, children and family; are in poor physical and mental health; suffer from addiction and isolation; and struggle with what it means to be a man. Yet, most progressives — who claim to care about all of society’s underdogs — seem to assiduously avoid these issues. Instead, their main concern when it comes to men is that too many men remain wedded to “traditional” notions and norms of masculinity. Problems facing men of color are largely seen through the lens of race, not gender.

The very phrase “men’s issues” conjures up images of bitter, angry white guys who stupidly don’t realize that they are oppressors and on top of the world. In the era of #MeToo, men don’t have problems; they are the problem. To some, even talking about men’s problems can brand one as tone-deaf and sexist.

I am a liberal; I have studied and supported feminism, and I know well that sexual harassment and assault are sickeningly common. But the fact that women remain victims in many ways does not negate the reality that many men are struggling and are victims of economic and cultural changes — ones that often also hurt women, children and society.

The data on male well-being tell a bleak story for a large minority of American men. About 20 million men have abandoned work (or work has abandoned them), as the male civilian labor force participation rate has fallen from 85 percent in the mid-1950s to 69 percent in November (and this excludes 2 million incarcerated men). Median inflation-adjusted income for all U.S. men was just 1 percent higher in 2017 than it was in 1973, and incomes for about 80 percent of men have stagnated or declined. About 8 million to 10 million fathers never or rarely see their minor children — and most of those fathers are not “deadbeats.”

Young adult males have higher poverty rates than their counterparts 40 years ago, and 25-to-34-year-old men are significantly more likely to live with their parents than are women their age. Twice as many men as women are hard-core gamers. Compared with girls, boys have more behavioral problems and lower average academic achievement, and they are much less likely to graduate from college. The millions of formerly incarcerated men have few prospects for a decent life.

Life expectancy, which remains stagnant among women, is declining among men. Males bear the brunt of opioid overdoses and alcohol addiction. Suicide is three and a half times more common among men than women. Many men are lonely or disengaging from society, as membership in unions and organizations that foster male camaraderie, such as Rotary and Elks clubs, has cratered. Males’ anger is rife toward women, employers, government and “the system” — which too often leads to misogyny and violence.

Helping all people in physical, socioeconomic and psychological distress should be a defining characteristic of a humane, caring and democratic society. However, in our bitterly divided times, these foundational goals have been politicized: Many on the right have drawn attention to men’s problems — some thoughtfully, but more often to bash feminism and women. Many on the left are silent because they are implausibly unaware of such issues or, more likely, less willing to highlight them because doing so would be deemed politically incorrect.

This failure of liberals not only is morally wrong, but it also hurts their own prospects of winning broader support among men. Those on the left should wake up and heed the words of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.: “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Andrew L. Yarrow, a former New York Times reporter, is a senior fellow with the Progressive Policy Institute. He is the author of “Man Out: Men on the Sidelines of American Life.” He wrote this article for the Washington Post.

Lzen
01-24-2019, 11:38 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7iJgWrO9_oQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bowener
01-24-2019, 11:44 AM
Hi, legit question: Why does this commercial upset anybody?

I am so confused why people are mad about this. Seems pretty straight forward: Don't be a piece of shit, and call out other people for being pieces of shit.

Raiderhater
01-24-2019, 11:55 AM

I am so confused why people are mad about this. Seems pretty straight forward: Don't be a piece of shit, and call out other people for being pieces of shit.

It is a focused attack on masculinity when females are guilty of the same transgressions. Women shave. Gillette makes shaving products for women. Why didn't they target assholes of both sexes instead making it appear as it is only men who are the problem?

Saulbadguy
01-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Why would any commercial upset anyone? I don't really understand.

In58men
01-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Only this guy will understand.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190124/9d07638d1556eae75d7cdf314d8a0bff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowser
01-24-2019, 12:12 PM

What's so hard with understanding people don't like to be preached at by shitty commercials with political undertones? Sell me on your product, Gillette, don't try to sell me on how to be a "proper" man. I know the difference between right and wrong in spite of what the message of that commercial is saying. Pretty simple.

stevieray
01-24-2019, 12:17 PM

...but of course.

....so toxic!

LMAO

Baby Lee
01-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Speaking only for myself, it's no so much upset, as eyerolling at how this commercial appears on the surface to have one message, but betrays many others, and further reinforces subtle societal double standards.

The message is 'you're a man, you're powerful, but use it for good.'
It's a message of male supremacy, softened by advocating 'benign' male supremacy.
It points out faults in some men, and tells all men to be on guard for those faults in themselves. That is stereotyping.

Can you imagine a McDonalds commercial for black folk that had the message 'consider our salads, before you lose your foot to the sugar.'

Can you imagine a Tampax commercial for women gently reminding them that their menstual cycle can make them bitchy, so they need to keep mind to be extra nice sometimes.

Those are 'benign' messages simply urging people to behave better. But I don't think you would be as bemused by outrage in those situations.

But men are strong. Men are in charge. And that is as it should be. They can take condescension and chiding, not like the lesser and weaker genders and ethnicities.

The message is at cross purposes with itself, and it self-erases half of the stuff its preaching out the other side of its mouth. But even pointing out the inconsistency is considered gauche because the very social stratification they are tyrying to argue doesn't exist props up the message as beyond criticism.

GloryDayz
01-24-2019, 12:25 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7iJgWrO9_oQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clearly the broad who make the Gillette chick flick hasn't been grabbed in the pussy and is feeling left out.

I'll consider giving the wench some consideration as soon as she has the draft rules modified to ensure being drafted is gender neutral, and combat deployment too. If she does that, then I might think she's serious, but I bet she wouldn't touch the subject, other then to say "get rid of the military", with a 10-foot metal coat hanger.

Saulbadguy
01-24-2019, 12:25 PM
What's so hard with understanding people don't like to be preached at by shitty commercials with political undertones? Sell me on your product, Gillette, don't try to sell me on how to be a "proper" man. I know the difference between right and wrong in spite of what the message of that commercial is saying. Pretty simple.

It's a commercial.

Bowser
01-24-2019, 12:27 PM
It's a commercial.

Correct. But you asked.

GloryDayz
01-24-2019, 12:30 PM
What the broad who directed it needs, along with getting laid, is to understand that we need more women like this, who are healthy and not obese...

She's doing women no favors by telling them it's OK to be fat.

chiefzilla1501
01-24-2019, 12:46 PM

I didn't like the ad because I thought the message was fine but the reliance on every possible stereotype was cringeworthy, especially when demonizing the wrong things only hurts not helps the feminist cause. But it's not like we got all riled up when a successful, smart woman was told she's not enough of a woman because she's 10 lbs overweight and doesn't dress slutty. So I kinda get the outrage on both sides.

chiefzilla1501
01-24-2019, 12:47 PM
What the broad who directed it needs, along with getting laid, is to understand that we need more women like this, who are healthy and not obese...

She's doing women no favors by telling them it's OK to be fat.

Case in point

GloryDayz
01-24-2019, 12:51 PM
Case in point

More "points" (cases???) that were well made by Gillette... :D

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6205/6048409501_0f08c2b9ee_b.jpg

eDave
01-24-2019, 01:12 PM

chiefzilla1501
01-24-2019, 01:16 PM
More "points" (cases???) that were well made by Gillette... :D

Oh I'm more than good with how they use women in advertising. If you want to show me more of those just so I'm sure please do. My point is, if they want to tell women what makes them "perfect" based on a superficial standard, then it's a little silly for me to get riled up about being told I'm not a perfect man.

GloryDayz
01-24-2019, 01:16 PM

There's a 17th chick, between 13/14 and 15. Butt she's hiding, so she might be self-fat shaming...

Lzen
01-24-2019, 01:36 PM

If you really want to know then watch this.

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=14069204&postcount=205

Bowser
01-24-2019, 01:41 PM
Give us your thoughts on this one, bowener. You too, Superchief….

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jxrsbjlRHrM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lzen
01-24-2019, 01:47 PM
Give us your thoughts on this one, bowener. You too, Superchief….

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jxrsbjlRHrM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Woman explains to white men what is mainsplaining and to stop it. :rolleyes: Surely, she does not get irony. Or would hypocrisy be a better term to use here?

luv
01-24-2019, 02:27 PM
This is a product geared towards men. They are simply playing off their motto. If you want to get so bent out of shape over it, go tell Tampax to make a commercial. Then women can use the men who bitched about this commercial as examples of how women are not the only bleeding vaginas.

Lzen
01-24-2019, 02:28 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mj8VpuLSkHY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee
01-24-2019, 02:31 PM
This is a product geared towards men. They are simply playing off their motto. If you want to get so bent out of shape over it, go tell Tampax to make a commercial. Then women can use the men who bitched about this commercial as examples of how women are not the only bleeding vaginas.

What WOULD your response be to a Tampax commercial that reminded you that you can get a little emotional during your monthlies, and urging you to be mindful of the people you irritate by doing so?

Honestly asking.

Raiderhater
01-24-2019, 02:39 PM

You don't do any shaving at all? Ewww!

luv
01-24-2019, 02:43 PM
You don't do any shaving at all? Ewww!

The best a MAN can get.

luv
01-24-2019, 02:43 PM
What WOULD your response be to a Tampax commercial that reminded you that you can get a little emotional during your monthlies, and urging you to be mindful of the people you irritate by doing so?

Honestly asking.

We get that from Midol commercials. Seriously.

Raiderhater
01-24-2019, 02:46 PM
The best a MAN can get.

Yes, that is their slogan from their men's division. But they also have a women's division because most women do some sort of shaving. They are not a men's only company and the issues they address are not issues solely belonging to men.

luv
01-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Yes, that is their slogan from their men's division. But they also have a women's division because most women do some sort of shaving. They are not a men's only company and the issues they address are not issues solely belonging to men.

Okay. So don't use their products. Bitching will not make the commercial go away.

GloryDayz
01-24-2019, 03:00 PM
Women can improve!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PlayfulGiftedHeterodontosaurus-small.gif

chiefzilla1501
01-24-2019, 03:02 PM

Honestly asking.

You don't think advertising for decades has told women how ugly they are because you don't have supermodel skin or hair or barbie hips, how bad of a mom they are because they work, or how unwomanly they are because theyre tough? Not sure this is the road I'd go down.

luv
01-24-2019, 03:21 PM
You don't think advertising for decades has told women how ugly they are because you don't have supermodel skin or hair or barbie hips, how bad of a mom they are because they work, or how unwomanly they are because theyre tough? Not sure this is the road I'd go down.

Speaking with regard to expectations of men, when I was younger, I had an older church lady get on to me for not waiting for one of the men that was in our group to open the door going in someplace, but now you get looked down on if you actually let someone open the door for you. Talk about confusing signals! LOL

We had a female client come in the other day who has been married for 34 years and raised two boys. One of her sons told her of a situation at work, where another guy was complaining about something, and her son said, "Don't be such a girl." I guess a female co-worker overheard him, and she went to HR to report him. Our client was wondering if she was so out of touch with feminism, since she didn't see her son's comment as offensive. I told her my boyfriend says that to me whenever I cry during a movie or overreact emotionally, and I think it's funny when he does, so, if she is out of touch, she's not the only one.

I get it. There's a double standard with this ad. Take it for what it's worth to you. It's like Nike with the Colin Kaepernick ad. It will be a hot topic for a while, and then it will fade away. Ads are not worth getting up in arms over.

stevieray
01-24-2019, 03:23 PM

:rolleyes:

Baby Lee
01-24-2019, 03:26 PM

And how sure are you that 'what are you complaining about' is a road to go down?

DaFace
01-24-2019, 03:29 PM
My favorite part about these kinds of ads is that the people who hate them and bitch about them are doing exactly what the advertisers are wanting them to do. There's nothing like a little mild controversy to drive advertising ROI through the roof.

Baby Lee
01-24-2019, 03:34 PM
My favorite part about these kinds of ads is that the people who hate them and bitch about them are doing exactly what the advertisers are wanting them to do. There's nothing like a little mild controversy to drive advertising ROI through the roof.

How many razors did you buy today?

I agree that exposure is what they seek. I disagree that it will drive sales.

People are aware of their brand, it's plusses and minuses. It's a product you largely use in private, so there's no signalling to be gained. It's also a product you choose largely on efficacy and cost, and there is no case made to raise expectations on those metrics.

GloryDayz
01-24-2019, 03:37 PM

Is fat shaming really a bad thing in American culture? Is it? Are those commercials that have dumbed-down a person's diabetes risk "shaming"? If they are, how is that bad? Sometimes people need to be told to fucking quit eating and hit the gym, and there are many who need to be told in more direct ways.

And, is being beautiful and caring for your man's needs really a bad thing? Should women who have put the work in to be skinny and beautiful be shamed for it instead of rewarded?

Back when Gillette didn't suck and made sharp razors:

DaFace
01-24-2019, 03:39 PM
How many razors did you buy today?

I agree that exposure is what they seek. I disagree that it will drive sales.

People are aware of their brand, it's plusses and minuses. It's a product you largely use in private, so there's no signalling to be gained. It's also a product you choose largely on efficacy and cost, and there is no case made to raise expectations on those metrics.

I didn't buy any, though I haven't bought anything other than a Gillette razor in decades.

But I'm not the target market here. They're trying to hook a younger generation who cares deeply about social issues and haven't developed strong brand loyalty yet. As you said, they're not going to lose people from this because people either like the product or don't at this point. Raising awareness and brand recognition among younger people is the goal, and the more discussion about it, the better they see it.

Here's a graph of how many people have searched for "Gillette" on Google over the past 15 years. Yeah, I think they're happy.

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ssl.gstatic.com/trends_nrtr/1709_RC01/embed_loader.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> trends.embed.renderExploreWidget("TIMESERIES", {"comparisonItem":[{"keyword":"gillette","geo":"US","time":"2004-01-01 2019-01-24"}],"category":0,"property":""}, {"exploreQuery":"date=all&geo=US&q=gillette","guestPath":"https://trends.google.com:443/trends/embed/"}); </script>

Raiderhater
01-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Okay. So don't use their products. Bitching will not make the commercial go away.

I haven't used their products for a few years now. That doesn't mean that I want some company preaching to me about how as a man I am a problem and I need to fix my masculine ways.

I expect telling me why I should spend my money on your product or service to come from companies. I expect messages of individual improvement to come from church.

The Franchise
01-24-2019, 03:43 PM
I didn't buy any, though I haven't bought anything other than a Gillette razor in decades.

But I'm not the target market here. They're trying to hook a younger generation who cares deeply about social issues and haven't developed strong brand loyalty yet. As you said, they're not going to lose people from this because people either like the product or don't at this point. Raising awareness and brand recognition among younger people is the goal, and the more discussion about it, the better they see it.

Here's a graph of how many people have searched for "Gillette" on Google over the past 15 years. Yeah, I think they're happy.

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ssl.gstatic.com/trends_nrtr/1709_RC01/embed_loader.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> trends.embed.renderExploreWidget("TIMESERIES", {"comparisonItem":[{"keyword":"gillette","geo":"US","time":"2004-01-01 2019-01-24"}],"category":0,"property":""}, {"exploreQuery":"date=all&geo=US&q=gillette","guestPath":"https://trends.google.com:443/trends/embed/"}); </script>

They're using social outrage to target a generation who hate's capitalism......so that they can make more money.

DaFace
01-24-2019, 03:47 PM
They're using social outrage to target a generation who hate's capitalism......so that they can make more money.

Yep. It's ironic all around when you really think about it.

Saulbadguy
01-24-2019, 03:49 PM
Correct. But you asked.

Understood - I should have clarified, why would anyone of average (or above) intelligence be upset about this or any commercial?

chiefzilla1501
01-24-2019, 03:49 PM
And how sure are you that 'what are you complaining about' is a road to go down?

I'm not complaining about any those things. I'm pointing out that you're complaining about one ad with a negative men's stereotype to a woman who is bombarded with ads telling them how imperfect they're supposed to feel. Not exactly the best way to make a point. I don't like the Gillette ad but I totally get women laughing off the outrage over it.

DaFace
01-24-2019, 03:56 PM
For anyone who actually cares on the "business sense" part of all of this, this article is pretty fascinating.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/the-data-behind-gillettes-ad-shows-it-had-the-biggest-impact-with-women/

In short, based on online conversations (like this one), conversations about "Gillette" have historically been about 56% by men and about 64% by people age 35+. However, if you look at conversations about "shaving," it's only 38% by men and 25% by people age 35+. In other words, they were severely missing out on the market of young women.

And that group has reacted very positively to the ad.

chiefzilla1501
01-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Is fat shaming really a bad thing in American culture? Is it? Are those commercials that have dumbed-down a person's diabetes risk "shaming"? If they are, how is that bad? Sometimes people need to be told to ****ing quit eating and hit the gym, and there are many who need to be told in more direct ways.

And, is being beautiful and caring for your man's needs really a bad thing? Should women who have put the work in to be skinny and beautiful be shamed for it instead of rewarded?

Back when Gillette didn't suck and made sharp razors:

So basically, you're ok with female stereotypes that make many perfectly fine women believe they are less of a woman, but outraged at an ad that tells men they're not manly enough. And no, I'm not offended by these ads, just as I wasn't offended by a Gillette ad I disagreed with. I just understand the double standard.

chiefzilla1501
01-24-2019, 04:02 PM
For anyone who actually cares on the "business sense" part of all of this, this article is pretty fascinating.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/the-data-behind-gillettes-ad-shows-it-had-the-biggest-impact-with-women/

In short, based on online conversations (like this one), conversations about "Gillette" have historically been about 56% by men and about 64% by people age 35+. However, if you look at conversations about "shaving," it's only 38% by men and 25% by people age 35+. In other words, they were severely missing out on the market of young women.

And that group has reacted very positively to the ad.

Thats something I spoke about last week. I mentioned that Gillette would gladly sacrifice a few older customers if it meant drawing in a younger customer. It's just business 101. Razor category is a unique category that's all about customer lifetime value. Gillette sells you the first razor and you might have someone buying replacement blades for 50+ years. And they are under heavy attack with this young audience because shave clubs are stealing a ton of this market share. So they dont care about what older people like us think as much as we'd like to believe they do.