PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Free Agents bring back/let go

ILChief
01-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Here is the list of all upcoming Chiefs unrestricted free agents via sportrac. We have some ERFA/RFAs like Butker and Lucas that I assume will be back. Age in parenthesis

Allen Bailey (30) - There was thought we might cut him before this year to save cap space. Will probably have interest from other teams and we need to overhaul the defense. I doubt he's back unless it's short term and cheap, which I doubt happens

Demetrius Harris (28) - I'd let him walk and look for a second tight end to complement Kelce in the mid rounds of the draft or mid-tier free agent. Doesn't make that many plays and has some bad drops.

Dee Ford (28) - Last night's offsides not withstanding, had a monster year. But it was his contract year and he's never approached that level before. Has an injury history as well. I'd be leary of a long term mega deal. Franchise him and see if he can repeat.

Anthony Sherman (30) - The fullback position is a dinosaur, so I can't imagine him getting a ton of offers. Bring him back if it's cheap.

Spencer Ware (27) - The emergence of Damien Williams and his extension makes Ware's return unlikely unless it's for minimal money. Even then, this could be a late round draft position

Mitch Morse (27) - He's young and pretty good, but he has horrible concussion history. Signing Erving and Reiter seem to indicate to me that he's not in our long term plans. Young and talented enough to draw interest on the market, I don't think KC will invest that much in him given his concussions and cheaper alternatives. We really didn't see any dropoff while he was out

Jeff Allen (29) - He seems to love KC and won't get much attention from other teams seeing as he was sitting at home when we signed him in the middle of the season. I think he comes back on a cheap deal. Good depth that can fill in and start 3 or 4 games with minimal dropoff.

Chris Conley (26) - I had high hopes when we drafted him, but it's never really panned out. He's had a few good games but they are few and far between. Has had some costly fumbles as well. With Mahomes, we could draft a mid round WR and get the same production for less $.

Steven Nelson (26) - This one is the one I'm the most torn on. He's young. All the analytics/metrics say he's good. But you see him get beaten/flagged a lot this year. Sutton seems to never give his corners safety help so he's put in bad situations against really good receivers. He's not all pro level, but we don't have much at CB. If we get a new defensive coordinator, I'd like to bring him back. But if God forbid Bob is back, I think let him walk as I don't like the fit in Bob's "scheme".

D'Anthony Thomas (26) - Honestly, I forgot he was still a Chief. Surprised he's that young as it seems like he's been here forever. Has value on special teams and some gimmick offensive plays. I'm fine bringing him back cheap, but wouldn't invest much

Jordan Devey (31) - Opposite of DAT in that I didn't realize he was this old. He's an OK backup but wouldn't invest more than the minimum

Orlando Scandrick (32)/Frank Zombo (32)/Charcandrick West (28)/Kelvin Benjamin (28) - I wouldn't bring any of these back. But they love Zombo so it wouldn't surprise me if they keep him.

2020 Free agents of note that may factor in keeping any of the above:
-Tyreek Hill and Chris Jones: keep at all cost. extend now if possible
-Kendall Fuller and Demarcus Robinson: would like to keep, but probably can wait to re-sign until nex year

Keep in mind Mahomes $200 million deal coming up after next season, so getting Jones/Hill locked up now is very important

bowener
01-21-2019, 09:28 AM
IDK how but the Chiefs should go get Jason Kelce. I know he is probably under contract and all that, but I want to see the Kelce bros. roll together for one season.

edit: There is no guarantee that Mahomes will ask for $200 million, but if he does it isn't that big of a deal. To reach that number he would be agreeing to essentially the same deal most top tier Qbs got this season, except for 6 years. $33.3mil a year 4 years from now will be a steal.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Money under cap means crap right now. Gonna be a lock out in 2 years. I got a feeling gonna see a lot of 2 year deals this offseason

Buckweath
01-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Steven Nelson is not a guy you bring back.

He is a decent player but he has only value if he is rather cheap.

I believe he was a good draft pick and good value the last few years but now he will want probably around 8-9M and I think that's too much for what he offers.

He's a decent player but he can be beat or get flagged at anytime.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Sherman and DAT maybe for really cheap. Ford maybe.

Rest can go.

ILChief
01-21-2019, 09:54 AM
Steven Nelson is not a guy you bring back.

He is a decent player but he has only value if he is rather cheap.

I believe he was a good draft pick and good value the last few years but now he will want probably around 8-9M and I think that's too much for what he offers.

He's a decent player but he can be beat or get flagged at anytime.

you're probably right. Chevarius Ward coming on makes it easier to walk away. Fuller/Ward/High draft pick at CB should be OK. Especially with a new DC

mcaj22
01-21-2019, 09:57 AM
let them all walk

Randallflagg
01-21-2019, 10:01 AM
As crazy as it sounds - keep Mahomes and start from scratch. Let 'em all walk...

Hey, a guy can hope, right? ;)

tyton75
01-21-2019, 10:01 AM
Nelson is one of those guys that you keep as long as you don't overvalue him and overpay. He's a player. There will be some difficult choices to make but they will be much easier when we get a Defensive Coordinator who actually knows how to coach to the players talents that we have on the roster.

ILChief
01-21-2019, 10:03 AM
I think we have 10 draft picks. Have to come away with immediate help at S, CB, and ILB. We have to assume Eric Berry can't be counted on. If he's back then a bonus. But Eric Murray/Ron Parker types can't be playing on this team next year. I'm hoping a new DC makes Hitchens regain his Cowboy form. That's like getting a new player. I think we have to go with O'Daniel over Ragland next year. I really liked Ragland but he may be just a 3rd/4th and 1 type defender. He has made a couple of big plays but not enough. Need some DL for if/when Bailey walks. Kind of thin on the DL if he's gone w/ just Jones/Nnadi

BleedingRed
01-21-2019, 10:08 AM
We need to pick up one of these guys in FA:

C.J. Mosely

K.J. Wright

Landon Collins

Wright and Collins we might be able to get more affordable deals with.

smithandrew051
01-21-2019, 10:10 AM
I’d let them all walk.

I wanted to tag Ford until last night. Can’t pay someone that much to no-show in the most important game of the year.

I think Houston is a cap-friendly cut too. Restructure him or release him.

In58men
01-21-2019, 10:11 AM
I’d let them all walk.

I wanted to tag Ford until last night. Can’t pay someone that much to no-show in the most important game of the year.

I think Houston is a cap-friendly cut too. Restructure him or release him.

Let Ford Hill and Jones walk? ROFL ROFL ROFL

Did you think we’d be in the championship at the start of the season?

kcclone
01-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Conely is basically worthless.

Nelson might be OK with a decent DC.

I like keeping Sherman for cheap. Andy likes him, and I think he brings a tough attitude.

Morse will depend on $$. Concussions are the concern obviously.

Harris.... bye bye

DeAnthony Thomas.... ha

Baily.... just a guy. Don't care.

Jeff Allen.... I like keeping him

Scandrick/Zombo/West/Benjamin..... nope

Hoover
01-21-2019, 10:16 AM
If there is going to be a work stoppage in two years, ie a major reworking of the collective bargaining agreement, then the smart move is to make short term agreements to win now, while also making moves to flush some major contracts.

This actually sets cup well for the Chiefs.

To win now the Chiefs keep guys like Houston, Ford and Berry for the near term. Basically we are bringing them both back for 2020 only, much easier to walk away from both after next season. You also tag Ford, again a one year deal is perfect, especially if teams are not going to be handing out multi year deals.

In free agency, go out and sign a guy like Earl Thomas for a couple years.

If Berry has surgery and can play, our secondary looks pretty good.

In the draft I'd love a CB, but I'd really be tempted to draft one of the two Hawkeye TEs late in Round 1 if they are there. Personally, I think T.J. Hockenson is the perfect fit for the Chiefs, he's a complete TE who can block, we need this, and can also make big plays in the passing game. Fant is more of just an offensive weapon, but I wouldn't cry over drafting him either. And before you all bitch about a 1st round offensive pick, having a TE like Hockenson that can block and catch, helps us against team like the Pats and Ravens who bring extra guys to rush Mahomes.

smithandrew051
01-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Let Ford Hill and Jones walk? ROFL ROFL ROFL

Did you think we’d be in the championship at the start of the season?

Not Jones and Hill. I lock both of them up. I meant just letting the FAs walk.

In58men
01-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Not Jones and Hill. I lock both of them up. I meant just letting the FAs walk.

Oh gotcha.

I like Sherman, I know he doesn’t contribute much, but he’s a bruiser. I was pissed Reid didn’t use him on 3 and 1. He went with Williams and got stuffed. I was yelling Sherman the entire time. I knew Williams wasn’t going to get the yard.