PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Silver lining

RaidersOftheCellar
01-21-2019, 03:56 PM
While it would be nice to be playing in the SB, this result may be better for the franchise longterm.

If the defense performed even semi-adequately last night and this team earned a Superbowl berth (let alone a win), how could they justify firing Sutton? He'd be coordinating this defense until he moved into a nursing home. And there would probably be few personnel changes. They'd sell us a fool's gold narrative of a defense that "came together" when it mattered most.

However, Sutton WILL be fired. And major personnel changes will happen. Veach will take drastic measures to make sure this doesn't happen next year, and they'll be hyper-focused on building a defense that can stop the Patriots.

It's a matter of when, not if, we end the Patriot reign and begin our own domination of the AFC. I'm fine with a one year delay if it ensures the necessary changes are made.

TimBone
01-21-2019, 03:57 PM
If we won a Super Bowl, I'd take a few more years of Sutton.

Red Dawg
01-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Sutton will be fired? By who? Andy seemingly won't do it.

Jerm
01-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Yeah sorry....no.

It's not like these opportunities come around all the time...it was a missed chance, plain and simple.

Best22
01-21-2019, 04:11 PM
There are plenty of silver linings but firing Sutton isn’t one of them, relative to making the Superbowl

I’d be thrilled if Sutton was our DC in Superbowl LIII

In58men
01-21-2019, 04:17 PM
Couldn’t have asked for a better season.

The Colts win was tremendous. Big stage for Mahomes and he excelled, he now has experience in the post season, so it won’t be anything new to him. This season was truly remarkable.

When things go bad just remember we don’t have Cassel, Alex, Huard, Croyle, Thigpen, etc etc at the QB position, we have Patrick Mahomes II

RaidersOftheCellar
01-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Would you rather have this same team (or a lesser version, after the league finds ways to slow down Mahomes a little bit) for every year of our window of opportunity with cheap stars...or be a balanced, dominant force every year beginning next season?

wazu
01-21-2019, 04:18 PM
There are plenty of silver linings but firing Sutton isn’t one of them, relative to making the Superbowl

I’d be thrilled if Sutton was our DC in Superbowl LIII

Please give me the real silver linings. Anything. So far all I've got is that Patrick Mahomes ended the season healthy.

Best22
01-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Please give me the real silver linings. Anything. So far all I've got is that Patrick Mahomes ended the season healthy.

Real silver linings:

Mahomes is an MVP quarterback and is only 23

We beat the Colts and Luck in a home divisional playoff game, our first

We played in the AFCCG (franchise 2nd)

Our quarterback now has good playoff experience to build off of, and also has a playoff win under his belt

Our quarterback has a career record of 14-5. He is a tremendous competitor with a great work ethic, a confident team leader who is always a fighter. The game is never over with Pat

keg in kc
01-21-2019, 04:31 PM
They've had exactly one opportunity like this in the entire history of the franchise. It may not happen again, soon or ever. This was their moment, their shot, and they blew it. Completely. End of story. There is no silver lining. There are no moral victories. Nothing positive comes out of this. Not right now. Maybe it's a building block. Maybe it's not. Only thing we know for sure is that they've now all learned what Andy, and Marty before him, knew better than anyone: what it feels like to get humiliated on the biggest stage during the biggest game of your life. Maybe not wanting to feel like that again will help down the road. Or not. Either way, you just gotta embrace the feeling today. It sucks. It's supposed to.

Best22
01-21-2019, 04:38 PM
They've had exactly one opportunity like this in the entire history of the franchise. It may not happen again, soon or ever. This was their moment, their shot, and they blew it. Completely. End of story. There is no silver lining. There are no moral victories. Nothing positive comes out of this. Not right now. Maybe it's a building block. Maybe it's not. Only thing we know for sure is that they've now all learned what Andy, and Marty before him, knew better than anyone: what it feels like to get humiliated on the biggest stage during the biggest game of your life. Maybe not wanting to feel like that again will help down the road. Or not. Either way, you just gotta embrace the feeling today. It sucks. It's supposed to.

The biggest reason we only had one chance is because we never had a top flight quarterback

I honestly don’t think fans understand the gravity and completeness of how dogsh*t this franchise has been.

Last week, we won our first divisional playoff game at homeROFL (Steelers have 12). Last week was our biggest margin of victory in a home playoff game, the previous record was 4 points (10-6)ROFL

The Steelers have played in 16 AFCCG. Broncos 10. Patriots 15. Raiders 11. Seahawks 1. Jets 4. Jaguars 3. Chiefs 2.

This franchise has been total sh*t since 1970. All the bad decisions and garbage from 1970-2017 is irrelevant. Because Mahomes

From 1970-2017. Zero home divisional wins, 1 AFC Title game appearance. No MVPs

In 2018. One home divisional playoff win, 1 AFC Title game appearance. One MVP

RaidersOftheCellar
01-21-2019, 04:40 PM

"Maybe" a building block?

Mahomes led us to the 1 seed and an AFCC appearance in year one. He isn't even close to a finished product. I'm not saying his stats will increase every year, but he will certainly become a better player. He will be flat-out unstoppable within a few years. It will be like Brady, Elway and Manning rolled into one.

Operation Fire Bob appears to already be in the works, and we have an aggressive GM who will do whatever he can to improve the D. I have no doubt there will be solid improvement next year.

There is no maybe. The Chiefs will be in the running every year, just like the Belicheats. The only question is how many Superbowls they'll win during this run.