PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Defense Blew It....A 5 Year Story....

petegz28
01-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Since Bob Sutton became the DC of the Chiefs one phrase has been consistent...

"The Defense blew it..."

Starting with a drive at Arrowhead against Denver where the Chiefs were up by 7 with 1:40 to go and Denver had 0 timeouts, the Bob Sutton defense let Peyton Manning pick up chunks and chunks of yards until they ran out of field and had to score blowing a lead.

Little did we know that was going to be a constant.

From blown leads in the regular season against teams like Denver, the Raiders, the Titans, the Jets, the Bills, the Patriots, the Rams, the Chargers, and the Seahawks to historical playoff leg shitting of blown leads to Indy and the Titans, Bob Sutton has lead the way.

2018 will be a season to remember of what could have been but wasn't and why? Yes, you guessed it, "the Defense blew it!"

Starting with a game in New England where our MVP QB brought us back in the 4th quarter to take a lead, the defense blew it.

Next was a game in LA against the Rams where even with some questionable officiating our MVP QB and this offense gave us a 4th quarter lead by scoring 51 points and yes, even with scoring 51 points, the defense blew it.

Onto a Thursday night game at KC against a divisional rival to lock up the #1 seed our MVP QB lead us to a 14 pt lead with 5 minutes to go and yes, the defense blew it.

And there it was, at KC, for a chance to go to the Super Bowl, our MVP QB who got shut out in the 1st half came back in the 2nd half and gave our defense the lead not once but twice in the 4th quarter and yes, the defense blew it.

Our MVP QB made one last valiant effort to salvage the game as he drove us down the field to tie and force OT and despite having the Pats in 3rd & long three consecutive times, you guessed it, the defense blew it.

Some will argue that Sutton had a top 10 defense in "points allowed" a couple of years or whatever but even in those years, in the games that mattered, guess what??? Yep, the ****ing defense blew it!

bricks
01-21-2019, 07:36 PM
This post makes me feel like shit. I can’t argue with you though. I will add, a big reason they blow it is because they can’t stop the ****ing run! It drives me nuts!!

Hammock Parties
01-21-2019, 07:38 PM
2013 and 2018 are the only seasons in the Andy Reid era where you can truly blame the defense.

2015, 2016 and 2017 were clearly on the offense, which topped out at 21 points, which is nothing short of a joke in the modern era.

In58men
01-21-2019, 07:38 PM
Berry didn’t turn around.

petegz28
01-21-2019, 07:39 PM
2013 and 2018 are the only seasons in the Andy Reid era where you can truly blame the defense.

2015, 2016 and 2017 were clearly on the offense, which topped out at 21 points, which is nothing short of a joke in the modern era.

Hey, Clay.....

wanna tell you a little secret.....

THE FUCKING DEFENSE BLEW IT!

Hammock Parties
01-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Hey, Clay.....

wanna tell you a little secret.....

THE FUCKING DEFENSE BLEW IT!

This year, sure.

Every playoff loss? No.

Best22
01-21-2019, 07:57 PM
The defense failed in every playoff loss however a superior quarterback would’ve saved us in 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017

I mean, we lost playoff games by scores of 21-22 and 16-18ROFL

Mahomes would’ve just dropped 30 on their asses

prhom
01-21-2019, 08:02 PM
I was thinking about this today as I reflected on Sutton’s career with the Chiefs. Is a defense really good if it doesn’t match up with top offenses? Even back when Sutton’s defenses were tops in points per game allowed, I don’t really recall us ever shutting down good offenses, or really even average offenses.

It’s always been a defense that thrived off of turnovers and bend, don’t break. It would be interesting to see how many good performances the defense had against playoff teams or teams with real QBs over the last 5 years. I’ll bet the numbers aren’t good and am fairly suspicious that if we were being objective about it, Sutton has never really had a “good” defense when viewed through the filter of performance against playoff-caliber teams.

TribalElder
01-21-2019, 08:04 PM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_editorial_landscape_8_desktop_mobile/f_auto/chiefs/gqhpp8e10xxj8an3hhbk.jpg

petegz28
01-21-2019, 08:10 PM
This year, sure.

Every playoff loss? No.

Steelers they were to blame along with the offense. NE game #1 was a team loss. Titans and Colts though they blew it though the offense didn't help much against the Titans.

petegz28
01-21-2019, 08:11 PM
I was thinking about this today as I reflected on Sutton’s career with the Chiefs. Is a defense really good if it doesn’t match up with top offenses? Even back when Sutton’s defenses were tops in points per game allowed, I don’t really recall us ever shutting down good offenses, or really even average offenses.

It’s always been a defense that thrived off of turnovers and bend, don’t break. It would be interesting to see how many good performances the defense had against playoff teams or teams with real QBs over the last 5 years. I’ll bet the numbers aren’t good and am fairly suspicious that if we were being objective about it, Sutton has never really had a “good” defense when viewed through the filter of performance against playoff-caliber teams.

Sutton's defenses have never got the clutch stop with any kind of consistency at all.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2019, 08:11 PM
The bottom line is, Sutton’s defenses always let down in the big games and the big moments.

Hammock Parties
01-21-2019, 08:12 PM
Steelers they were to blame along with the offense. NE game #1 was a team loss. Titans and Colts though they blew it though the offense didn't help much against the Titans.

So it's not all on the defense.

Pete thread, everyone!

bricks
01-21-2019, 08:17 PM
Sutton's defenses have never got the clutch stop with any kind of consistency at all.

Just want to mention about last nights game, since you’re mentioning no clutch stops from Suttons defense.....A big reason, stupid ****ing play calling and zero adjustments.

How in the ****, like how do you call a play that leaves the middle of the field wide ****ing open for Edelman in overtime. I didn’t get the cocerage scheme on that one? Not once this happened but twice!!! And zero adjustments made!! **** you Bob Sutton and your trash DBs!!!

petegz28
01-21-2019, 08:17 PM
So it's not all on the defense.

Pete thread, everyone!

Hey, Clay....

The Fucking defense....BLEW IT!

Hammock Parties
01-21-2019, 08:19 PM
Hey, Clay....

The Fucking defense....BLEW IT!

Except they didn't...by your own admission.

petegz28
01-21-2019, 08:19 PM
Just want to mention about last nights game, since you’re mentioning no clutch stops from Suttons defense.....A big reason, stupid ****ing play calling and zero adjustments.

How in the ****, like how do you call a play that leaves the middle of the field wide ****ing open for Edelman in overtime. I didn’t get the cocerage scheme on that one? Not once this happened but twice!!! And zero adjustments made!! **** you Bob Sutton and your trash DBs!!!

I remember the game last year against the Raiders when Romo was showing on tv exactly where the Raiders were going to attack even before the ball was snapped....

petegz28
01-21-2019, 08:20 PM
Except they didn't...by your own admission.

clay, clay, clay.....buddy...

listen to me closely...

The Defense....they blew it....

lewdog
01-21-2019, 08:25 PM
The thread title seems like a setup for a Billay's mom joke.

kcclone
01-21-2019, 08:26 PM

Good point. Sutton’s bend don’t break D is designed to keep everything in front of you and not give up the deep pass. Let the other team beat themselves with penalties and turnovers from rushing the passer.

Obviously that works well enough against 70% of the NFL but for good offensss with good QB’s they simply will not beat themselves.

It’s designwd for a guaranteed 10 win season, and not for winning a SB

prhom
01-21-2019, 08:58 PM

Nope, they never have. Just seems hard to flip a switch and go from reacting to the offense to attacking when it is absolutely needed. How many times have we seen the Chiefs “being the house” only to get burned? The pressure to sell out and get the stop that is needed is almost never effective. We might get a strip sack or INT, but without that we can rarely string together good efforts on 3 plays in a row. We also had lots of teams really show disrespect by going for it on 4th, knowing they were more likely than not to get it.

prhom
01-21-2019, 09:34 PM
Good point. Sutton’s bend don’t break D is designed to keep everything in front of you and not give up the deep pass. Let the other team beat themselves with penalties and turnovers from rushing the passer.

Obviously that works well enough against 70% of the NFL but for good offensss with good QB’s they simply will not beat themselves.

It’s designwd for a guaranteed 10 win season, and not for winning a SB

It also doesn’t work very well when you play a team with a good defense and offense that can control the clock. The offense has a hard time getting in a rhythm when they are sitting for so long and the opposing defense has to make fewer stops because their offense is playing keep away.

cooper barrett
01-21-2019, 09:35 PM
Yes, the defense failed but Mahomes overthrew several possible touchdowns. And that touchdown at the 2 minute mark that could have ran off some clock. Andy Fail!@

This plan only seems to work when we score lots of points...And for 3 quarters we failed..on offense.

htismaqe
01-21-2019, 10:02 PM
If only it were 1995 again. Some of these people might actually be happy.

KranzDictum
01-22-2019, 04:57 PM
What happened to Chris Jones? He limped off late in the 4th quarter and I didn't see him come out at all in OT. This would be the 2nd year in a row he wasn't on the field at the end of a tight playoff loss.

I can't find anything saying what happened to him and rewatched OT on the DVR. Is there anything in the local media about it?

Mav
01-23-2019, 02:46 AM
The defense failed in every playoff loss however a superior quarterback would’ve saved us in 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017

I mean, we lost playoff games by scores of 21-22 and 16-18ROFL

Mahomes would’ve just dropped 30 on their asses

The Chiefs scored 40+ Versus the Colts. Pretty sure the defense blew that 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mav
01-23-2019, 02:48 AM
What bothered me was why spend all that money on Watkins? Couldn’t that have been used on defense? The coaching was pitiful we have seen the lack of In game adjustments from Sutton for years, but it seems that the talent is lacking and the offense been thrust more to the priority.

PAChiefsGuy
01-23-2019, 04:22 AM
What bothered me was why spend all that money on Watkins? Couldn’t that have been used on defense? The coaching was pitiful we have seen the lack of In game adjustments from Sutton for years, but it seems that the talent is lacking and the offense been thrust more to the priority.

That's a good question. I dont know but I don't think Veach/Reid viewed this season as an all in year as far as winning the SB. I suspect this year was in their mind mainly about remaining competitive while developing Mahomes and building his confidence - thus the Watkins signing.

Hopefully we can sign some defensive help this offseason cause when the D is as bad as ours was it's never just the DC.

DTVietnam
01-23-2019, 08:15 AM
the defense didnt blow the 1st half:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Check out this clip from NFL Playoff: New England Patriots at Kansas City Chiefs <a href="https://t.co/57jlCk6Jbe">https://t.co/57jlCk6Jbe</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/clippit?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#clippit</a></p>&mdash; For Pete&#39;s Sake KC (@ForPetesSakeKC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ForPetesSakeKC/status/1087151407332032512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 21, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jjjayb
01-23-2019, 08:16 AM
Yes, the defense failed but Mahomes overthrew several possible touchdowns. And that touchdown at the 2 minute mark that could have ran off some clock. Andy Fail!@

This plan only seems to work when we score lots of points...And for 3 quarters we failed..on offense.

And we still scored 31 points. And lost. Because the defense blew it.

petegz28
01-23-2019, 08:32 AM
You guys can blame Mahomes for over throwing or play the "they scored too fast at th end" game, but the fact remains, the defense blew it.

Mahomes didn't make the defense give up an 8 minute drive to start the game

Mahomes didn't make the defense blow not 1 but 2 fourth quarter leads

Mahomes didn't make the defense blow 3 consecutive 3rd & 10's in OT

EVERY FUCKING GAME, save maybe Seattle, that we were trailing in going into or in the 4th quarter, Mahomes found a way to tie or give us the lead

To blame this offense for not playing "with pace", for "not working the clock" and basically for "not assuming they will automatically get a TD" is bullshit.

Two times in OT on 3rd & 10 Bob Sutton called a Cover 2 and what happened? Edleman split the middle for the conversion

The Pats took Hill and Kelce away all fucking game
Sutton didn't take away shit all fucking game

The Pats were in our backfield all fucking game
Our #1 pass rush didn't even sniff Brady's ass once

RunKC
01-23-2019, 08:38 AM
You guys can blame Mahomes for over throwing or play the "they scored too fast at th end" game, but the fact remains, the defense blew it.

Mahomes didn't make the defense give up an 8 minute drive to start the game

Mahomes didn't make the defense blow not 1 but 2 fourth quarter leads

Mahomes didn't make the defense blow 3 consecutive 3rd & 10's in OT

EVERY ****ING GAME, save maybe Seattle, that we were trailing in going into or in the 4th quarter, Mahomes found a way to tie or give us the lead

To blame this offense for not playing "with pace", for "not working the clock" and basically for "not assuming they will automatically get a TD" is bullshit.

Two times in OT on 3rd & 10 Bob Sutton called a Cover 2 and what happened? Edleman split the middle for the conversion

The Pats took Hill and Kelce away all ****ing game
Sutton didn't take away shit all ****ing game

The Pats were in our backfield all ****ing game
Our #1 pass rush didn't even sniff Brady's ass once

It doesn’t matter. Bill put clown shoes on Andy and Bob. It was an embarrassment.