PDA

View Full Version : Football Lawsuit-filed over Saints loss, demands pre-Super Bowl hearing

Stinger
01-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Lawsuit on behalf of 'Who Dat Nation' filed over Saints loss, demands pre-Super Bowl hearing
BY JOHN SIMERMAN | JSIMERMAN@THEADVOCATE.COM JAN 22, 2019 - 10:20 AM

A New Orleans attorney filed a lawsuit Tuesday on behalf of two Saints season-ticket holders and "Who Dat Nation," demanding a hearing over the "no call" that ended the team's Super Bowl dreams.

The lawsuit, filed in Orleans Parish Civil District Court, claims the named plaintiffs, Tommy Badeaux and Candis Lambert, and their fellow Saints fans suffered myriad damages when referees failed to call a clear pass-interference penalty that spelled the difference in Sunday's game. It names NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and the league as defendants.

Past, present and future mental anguish and emotional trauma, "loss of enjoyment of life" and "distrust of the game which has become the National pastime."

The five-page lawsuit sets no dollar figure for that damage, but asks a judge to set a hearing prior to the Super Bowl on Feb. 3.

The lawsuit recounts the horror that unfolded for Saints fans with less than two minutes on the clock in the Mercedez-Benz Superdome. That’s when Los Angeles Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman slammed into Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis as a pass from quarterback Drew Brees headed their way.

The obvious penalty drew no flag from any official on the field. A flag on the play would likely have allowed the Saints either to score a touchdown or run down the clock and kick a game-winning field goal.

The suit notes that Robey-Coleman admitted to the blatant foul, and that Saints coach Sean Payton reported that league officials acknowledged the blunder swiftly after the game – an account the league has not disputed.

“The impact of the non-call is egregious and demands recourse,” states the lawsuit, filed by attorney Frank D'Amico Jr.

“As a direct result of the said incident, plaintiffs herein have been left bereft and with no faith in the National Football league for fairness despite the league’s own rules to correct such errors, along with emotional anguish, monetary loss for ticket holders, who purchases tickets with the presumption of integrity and fairness.”

While the suit doesn't spell out the precise recourse sought, it notes an NFL rule that would allow Goodell to order that the game be replayed, either in its entirety or beginning after the point the offending non-call occurred.

Michael McCann, a legal analyst for Sports Illustrated, wrote Monday that such legal gambits are destined to fail.

McCann argued that the time for Goodell to invoke an NFL rule granting him “sole authority” to rewind a game was before it ended. Asking a judge now to enforce that rule won’t fly in a courtroom, McCann wrote.

“Bad calls and other irregularities (real or perceived) have led to lawsuits from aggrieved players and fans. Those lawsuits have failed,” he wrote. “Courts have consistently enunciated that bad calls are not causes of action for courts to consider.”

The case is assigned to Judge Piper Griffin, who was first elected to the civil court bench in 2001.

Check back for updates.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/courts/article_43b987fc-1e61-11e9-9308-1bddf2cd9096.html

TLO
01-22-2019, 12:07 PM
I'm sure this will do a lot of good.

In58men
01-22-2019, 12:07 PM
A waste of time

Clyde Frog
01-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Waste of taxpayer money and court time. Fucking ambulance chasing lawyers.

Demonpenz
01-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Ever since that lady spilled coffee on herself and was awarded 100 million dollars people try to sue for anything

Frazod
01-22-2019, 12:11 PM
While anything that makes Goodell look bad puts a smile on my face, it won't do shit.

Want to make a difference? Don't watch the game, and don't buy the advertisers' products.

Chief Roundup
01-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Ever since that lady spilled coffee on herself and was awarded 100 million dollars people try to sue for anything

Stupid post is STUPID. Go do a little research about that that woman and the McDonalds coffee before spouting off this kind of stupid bullshit.

Rain Man
01-22-2019, 12:12 PM
Maybe he should sue New Orleans for not being a larger TV market.

Angry fan
01-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Lol what? How? I want this to happen to me!:BLVD:

Dayze
01-22-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm burning my Maroon 5 catalog as we speak.

Bugeater
01-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, anything that keeps me from hearing "WHO DAT" for two fucking weeks is a good thing.

ptlyon
01-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Silly Cajuns

Bugeater
01-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Stupid post is STUPID. Go do a little research about that that woman and the McDonalds coffee before spouting off this kind of stupid bullshit.

Lol what? How? I want this to happen to me!:BLVD:
Penz gonna Penz.

smithandrew051
01-22-2019, 12:16 PM
The players missed out on bonuses by missing the Super Bowl due to a particularly bad call. I would think they would have a stronger case. Not much stronger, but stronger than “loss of enjoyment”. Someone else’s incompetence cost them a defined amount of money.

loochy
01-22-2019, 12:16 PM
BREAKING NEWS:<br />
<br />
FAN SUES VINCE MCMAHON OVER UNDERTAKER'S INTERFERENCE IN THE WWF TITLE MATCH BETWEEN KANE AND STONE COLD AT KING OF THE RING 1998. Fan cites "irreparable mental anguish" from seeing Stone Cold get so thoroughly dominated.<br />
<br />
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YqUCass1gnM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eleazar
01-22-2019, 12:18 PM
And a whole new industry springs up around suing the NFL for all flags, called and not called.

Prison Bitch
01-22-2019, 12:25 PM

Tard ^

loochy
01-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Tard ^

Clueless

Imon Yourside
01-22-2019, 12:28 PM
I for one accept our new courtroom overlords.

KCUnited
01-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Dee Ford thinks these fans have crossed the line.

gblowfish
01-22-2019, 12:29 PM
What do those guys know about "Mental Anguish?" Try losing seven out of eight of your last playoff home games then talk to me about "Mental Anguish." Posers...

Chiefshrink
01-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, anything that keeps me from hearing "WHO DAT" for two ****ing weeks is a good thing.

:clap:ROFL:clap:ROFL

kcpasco
01-22-2019, 12:31 PM
Wasn’t this already decided that’s it’s just entertainment so it can be fixed. The only way I could see anything working is if you used the gambling aspect of sports betting. But you are never gonna prove anything.

Jerm
01-22-2019, 12:32 PM
I don't hear any Saints fans bringing up the blatant facemask on Goff on the possession before that would've given the Rams a 1st down...

Also Payton is lucky that non penalty call happened...wasn't for that he'd be getting crucified and rightly so for how he managed that series.

Rain Man
01-22-2019, 12:51 PM
What do those guys know about "Mental Anguish?" Try losing seven out of eight of your last playoff home games then talk to me about "Mental Anguish." Posers...

Show them some sympathy. They haven't won a Super Bowl in almost ten years!

LoneWolf
01-22-2019, 12:54 PM

This is a dumb fucking post. Even for you.

kcpasco
01-22-2019, 01:01 PM
People that lost money on betting would have a much better shot at a lawsuit than someone who had their feelings hurt.

bowener
01-22-2019, 01:02 PM

You should probably read about that case instead of continuing this uninformed view of it.

Since I assume you won't bother to look it up I found a very easy to read article on it here. (https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/heres-what-really-happened-with-that-infamous-mcdonalds-hot-coffee-lawsuit.html/)

Long story short, McShits was serving coffee at 180-190 degrees F, had been sued or reported several hundred times, and the lady wanted to settle out of court for medical expenses of around $20k. McShits declined and got their asses handed to them in court. She ended up with an undisclosed amount, most likely less than $1million.

edit: settled for $600,000, not $100 fucking million.

Angry fan
01-22-2019, 01:18 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, anything that keeps me from hearing "WHO DAT" for two ****ing weeks is a good thing.

They deserved to lose. That stupid saints superfan whistling drove me nuts. Got some much deserved karma, asshole!:$2500:

TomBarndtsTwin
01-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Wow, these poor people are really suffering. :rolleyes:

Gonna be even madder in about a week and a half when Mahomes is awarded the NFL's MVP over Brees . . . . . . . . . maybe someone will sue for that??

Chiefshrink
01-22-2019, 01:31 PM
This is a dumb ****ing post.

Really? Have you not noticed all the Lawyer commercials on TV and all the insane idiotic lawsuits that make it to court in the last 20yrs?:shrug: Our society is realizing they have a much better chance of winning the lottery by suing than actually playing the lottery and no group knows this better than the "ambulance chasers" who actually dig and research the public for these greedy unethical so-called victims. :rolleyes:

Chiefshrink
01-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Wow, these poor people are really suffering. :rolleyes:

Gonna be even madder in about a week and a half when Mahomes is awarded the NFL's MVP over Brees . . . . . . . . . maybe someone will sue for that??

Exactly !!;)

LoneWolf
01-22-2019, 01:42 PM
Really? Have you not noticed all the Lawyer commercials on TV and all the insane idiotic lawsuits that make it to court in the last 20yrs?:shrug: Our society is realizing they have a much better chance of winning the lottery by suing than actually playing the lottery and no group knows this better than the "ambulance chasers" who actually dig and research the public for these greedy unethical so-called victims. :rolleyes:

I was referring to his monumentally uninformed take on the McDonalds coffee case.

jettio
01-22-2019, 04:12 PM
Now that NFL has remote review from Seacaucus, NJ. Just plain stupid to not have so called "judgment calls" reviewable.

They should instantaneously review Pass interference, roughing the passer and offensive line holding, and let the game official know if a call should be changed.

All of this complaining about 1 official blowing a call is stupid. Why not fix the system so that obvious errors are corrected?

MarkDavis'Haircut
01-22-2019, 04:17 PM
You could probably do this for every NFL game.

There are missed calls in every game.

Besides, the Saints won in 2009 over the Vikings when the refs blatantly didn't call numerous late hits and other penalties. Suck it up, New Orleans.

Kman34
01-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Well....guys.. I'm going to need depositions from about 80,000 fans.... Dee Ford...you've been served....

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
01-22-2019, 04:19 PM
Penz'd

38yrsfan
01-22-2019, 05:21 PM
The exposure about the NFL fundamentally being an entertainment 'industry' wouldn't be in their best interests even though true. Many still have faith in the integrity of the pseudo-sport entertainment monopoly and would be saddened by this revelation.

kcpasco
01-22-2019, 05:28 PM
How could it be deemed fundamentally entertainment but allow gambling. There has to be some standards of integrity or that’s a serious problem. Yes I know gambling is a form of entertainment but there are laws involved.

Kiimo
01-22-2019, 05:56 PM
I was referring to his monumentally uninformed take on the McDonalds coffee case.

Maybe we should pour scalding hot liquid on his shriveled balls and give him third degree burns that require skin grafts to reinforce the idea that the 3 million, not 100 million dollar lawsuit wasn't asinine.

wazu
01-22-2019, 06:12 PM

You got that right.

Stinger
01-31-2019, 02:18 PM
Update:

No big shocker...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">U.S. District Judge Susie Morgan has ruled in favor of the NFL in the Saints ticket-holder lawsuit. Denied plaintiffs&#39; request to return this lawsuit to state court; and the federal judge also denied their request that she order the NFL to replay the end of game.</p>&mdash; Nick Underhill (@nick_underhill) <a href="https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1091067305012940806?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 31, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rain Man
01-31-2019, 02:28 PM
Meanwhile, an innocent man sits in prison wondering why his court date has been pushed back.

Dallas Chief
01-31-2019, 03:01 PM

Most of it has one thing in common. Insurance.

Angry fan
01-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Update:

No big shocker...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">U.S. District Judge Susie Morgan has ruled in favor of the NFL in the Saints ticket-holder lawsuit. Denied plaintiffs&#39; request to return this lawsuit to state court; and the federal judge also denied their request that she order the NFL to replay the end of game.</p>&mdash; Nick Underhill (@nick_underhill) <a href="https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1091067305012940806?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 31, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Wait, so Saints fans actually thought this would work?ROFL

Mennonite
01-31-2019, 03:22 PM
"Clearly, there is precedent, your honor. Don't you remember when Hurricane Katrina spilled her beverage over Louisiana's crotch? Surely, another Super Bowl appearance isn't too much to ask by way of restitution."

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Only in Louisiana could an attorney be so fucking stupid as to let these two morons dictate how to properly attack this issue.

Dr. Yu Weed Tard
01-31-2019, 10:45 PM
Good luck, Saints fans.

GloryDayz
02-01-2019, 06:03 AM
The judge is a pussy and has lost perspective on what "justice" means. The judge should be mocked publicly for years.

RealSNR
02-01-2019, 06:38 AM
Something is messed up with Saints fans' medula oblongatas

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OpenArcticAlligatorgar-max-1mb.gif