PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Interesting stat correlating offense & defense

RunKC
01-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Nick Wright mentioned that the longest drive this offense had this season was 7 mins. Our average scoring drive was in the 3 minute range. Goddamn that is crazy.

We also only had a 6 or more minute drive 7 times counting the playoff games.

The defense didn’t get worse this year compared to last year. These guys were just on the field way more with Pat then they ever were with Alex.

Starting to think we should load up most of (maybe all) of our draft picks on defense again. No wonder these guys looked tired as hell. Rotating complimentary players will be key next season.

The Franchise
01-22-2019, 12:44 PM
The defense sure was tired in that first drive against the Patriots.

gold_and_red
01-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Nice find. In another thread I mentioned that the key to making a deep playoff run next year is for the offense to be more friendly to the defense in terms of ball control. The D is most likely going to be below average next year, they need all the help they can get.

Best22
01-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Defense was worse

I don’t have the stats but I think our drive length was similar to last year. Also, remember we had more 3 and outs and more punts last year.

Our 2017 average margin of victory was 25-21. In 2018, it is 35-26.

I don’t want to go back to the style of play that kept us from advancing to the AFC Championship. Alex style offense is ver. It’s up to the defense to improve and become championship caliber

Red Dawg
01-22-2019, 12:52 PM
The defense sure was tired in that first drive against the Patriots.

Yeah. They were worn down at kick off.

threebag
01-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Clark pounding the drum wore them out

Mecca
01-22-2019, 01:10 PM
Yes blame the offense for scoring 30 points, it's the defenses job to get off the fucking field. You do your job a couple of times and it's a huge lead...man that's tough.

Chiefshrink
01-22-2019, 01:37 PM
it's the defenses job to get off the ****ing field.

and not line up in the neutral zone:D

Marcellus
01-22-2019, 01:43 PM
and not line up in the neutral zone:D

Yup, for all the hand wringing and griping about scoring and scheme and all that shit, one player lines up correct and we are on the way to the SB.

Sutton needs to go but all this talk about scoring too fast is insane. It sure didn't hurt the Rams back in the day. Oh yea they had a defense.

Fix the defense.

ptlyon
01-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Another interesting stat:

In all of our losses, the defense gave up more points than we scored

Rain Man
01-22-2019, 01:44 PM
I was thinking about this just this morning. Both of the times that we've had a mindblowing offense, our defense has cratered. And while I cringe to quote him, I remember Herm Edwards saying that he wanted to slow the offense down. So maybe there's some minor correlation.

But that ignores the simple truth. The defense won't get tired if they put up three and out performances. It's in their control to get themselves off the field, so screw this as an excuse. If you score fast and you shut the other team down fast, everyone's a winner.

ptlyon
01-22-2019, 01:44 PM
Yup, for all the hand wringing and griping about scoring and scheme and all that shit, one player lines up correct and we are on the way to the SB.

Sutton needs to go but all this talk about scoring too fast is insane. It sure didn't hurt the Rams back in the day. Oh yea they had a defense.

Fix the defense.

You're the winner of CP bingo today Marcellus

smithandrew051
01-22-2019, 01:45 PM
I agree that we need to continue to focus on the defense, but it’s a huge mistake to ignore the offense.

I think we need to draft 1 receiver (TE or WR), 1 OL (probably another Cam Irving type that plays multiple spots), and 1 RB (4th round or later).

Now that we have the QB, the offense is easier to address. We need to keep it young and cheap around Mahomes. Let the Conleys, Robinson’s, DATs, etc walk when it’s time to pay them. Keep the pipeline full. Only Kelce and Hill are irreplaceable right now.

ptlyon
01-22-2019, 01:45 PM
I was thinking about this just this morning. Both of the times that we've had a mindblowing offense, our defense has cratered. And while I cringe to quote him, I remember Herm Edwards saying that he wanted to slow the offense down. So maybe there's some minor correlation.

But that ignores the simple truth. The defense won't get tired if they put up three and out performances. It's in their control to get themselves off the field, so screw this as an excuse. If you score fast and you shut the other team down fast, everyone's a winner.

And another

Marcellus
01-22-2019, 01:46 PM

3rd and 9, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 10 on the last drive of the game. Get off the field on any of those and Pat gets the ball back with a chance to win.

threebag
01-22-2019, 01:48 PM

Fix the defense.

Grandpa Bob will fix it with a couple new editions next year.

chiefforlife
01-22-2019, 01:49 PM
Bullshit! The offense needs to score, period.

The Defense needs to make stops and get off the field. If they are on the field to long its their own fault.

Marcellus
01-22-2019, 01:49 PM
Grandpa Bob will fix it with a couple new editions next year.

Nope. Not as of a few minutes ago.

Valiant
01-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Nice find. In another thread I mentioned that the key to making a deep playoff run next year is for the offense to be more friendly to the defense in terms of ball control. The D is most likely going to be below average next year, they need all the help they can get.

New England offense sure didn't look tired. You substitute players, it is common sense. Our players also got manhandled and outplayed most of the game and from the start. Softness is the main culprit. Imagine the game if we didn't have our two unforced turnovers besides the 4th down stop.

They wasted a year of having games given to them by the offense. Any other defense in the league with this offense would have been fine. when you have big leads, most of the her teams will hide their defense and mix up looks. Saying that ,it starts with the coaching. This is also the reason our oline looks soft and should certain lineman should thank Patrick for getting him into the probowl when not deserved.