PDA

View Full Version : Science Who does sinus rinses?

Buehler445
01-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Fucking winter.

I have a sinus infection and my appointment is tomorrow so last night I did a sinus rinse. I did it right - distilled water and the Nielmed saline packet all that noise. Tried to breathe through my mouth and keep the shit from going down my throat. Still felt like I was getting water boarded.

What did I do wrong.

Editor's note: There is no question I'd bitch out if I was waterboarded.

chinaski
01-24-2019, 09:22 AM
I have a deviated septum and am prone to infections, ENT doc has been pushing for surgery, but I am reluctant. I've never done any rinses, but ask the doc to prescribe a nasal spray...the RX stuff will be superior to the over the counter bullshit.

redfan
01-24-2019, 09:24 AM
Wife uses a Neti pot all the time. I do from time to time as well, works pretty good. Just make sure the water is sterile!

01-24-2019, 09:24 AM
I get sinus infections and allergies a lot. I use nasacort and it works great for me. It’s the best product out there. Flo nase sucks.

Also drink a ton of water, it will loosen that shit up. Good luck

01-24-2019, 09:26 AM
I heard about that lady that died from a brain eating amiba after a nasal rinse and refuse to do It lol

Raiderhater
01-24-2019, 09:26 AM
You have to bend your head forward as much as possible to help minimize what goes down your throat. And as soon as you start to feel it going down stop and spit out as much as you can. I doubt it is possible to be 100% with it.

chiefzilla1501
01-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Assume you tilted your head sideways? Sometimes you're congested as hell and that shit ain't going to be easy but totally worth it.

Buehler445
01-24-2019, 09:34 AM
I get sinus infections and allergies a lot. I use nasacort and it works great for me. It’s the best product out there. Flo nase sucks.

Also drink a ton of water, it will loosen that shit up. Good luck

I used Flonaise first, switched to Nasocort and went back to Flonaise. Essentially the same shit. Flonaise isn't as harsh.

Assume you tilted your head sideways? Sometimes you're congested as hell and that shit ain't going to be easy but totally worth it.
Directions said to look down.

Fish
01-24-2019, 09:36 AM
It depends on how plugged up your sinuses are. If your sinuses are completely blocked, the rinse isn't going to do anything. When I get nasal congestion, it's complete blockage and the dumb little pots are useless. The only thing that provides relief for me is something like Afrin. But you have to be careful with that because if you use it too often, it can actually make your symptoms worse...

scho63
01-24-2019, 09:38 AM
For the last 25 years I had had around 18 bouts of tonsillitis and 20-22 bouts of sinus infections.

I've tried nasal rinses to no effect for me.

Best case is trying to spray your sinuses once fall begins 3-4 times a day with a saline solution to keep them moist and infection free.

01-24-2019, 09:47 AM
For the last 25 years I had had around 18 bouts of tonsillitis and 20-22 bouts of sinus infections.

I've tried nasal rinses to no effect for me.

Best case is trying to spray your sinuses once fall begins 3-4 times a day with a saline solution to keep them moist and infection free.

Why didn’t you get your tonsils removed? I got mine taken out at 25 and never get a sore throat anymore.

Randallflagg
01-24-2019, 09:50 AM
I went to an EENT Doc some 15 or so years ago....his first question "Jesus! How many times have you broken your nose!?!"

Anyway - he does the surgery, no big deal - but it didn't take. So, my "remedy" for sinusitis?

Kleenex.

Imon Yourside
01-24-2019, 10:04 AM
I went to an EENT Doc some 15 or so years ago....his first question "Jesus! How many times have you broken your nose!?!"

Anyway - he does the surgery, no big deal - but it didn't take. So, my "remedy" for sinusitis?

Kleenex.

That's some caveman shit. Kleenex? pfffft

Chiefnj2
01-24-2019, 10:04 AM
Remember your isotonic v. hypertonic on the nasal rinse or you will make your condition worse. Depends what relief you are looking for.

ModSocks
01-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Woman dies from brain-eating amoeba after using neti pot with filtered tap water

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2018/12/07/neti-pot-tap-water-caused-womans-deadly-brain-infection-report/2236681002/

A woman who was told by her doctor to rinse her sinuses twice daily to clear up a chronic sinus infection died from a brain-eating amoeba.

The woman, 69 from Seattle, was using tap water filtered using a Brita Water Purifier in a neti pot, according to a report published in the peer-reviewed International Journal of Infectious Diseases. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that only distilled, sterile or cooled boiled water be used for sinus irrigation.

After a month of clearing her sinuses with the non-sterile water, a quarter-sized red rash appeared on the right side of her nose. Her doctor told her it was rosacea and prescribed an ointment, according to the report. The rash didn't clear and she saw a dermatologist several times seeking answers, but biopsies didn't result in any definitive diagnosis.

A year after the rash developed, the woman had a seizure. At that time, a CT scan showed a half-inch lesion on her brain. Doctors performed surgery to remove the mass, which they say had "unusual characteristics." A specimen was sent to Johns Hopkins University for analysis.

Days later, her left arm and leg became numb and she had an "altered mental status." A consulting neuropathologist from Johns Hopkins suggested there might be an amoebic infection and later a drug for such infection was given to the patient. However, her condition didn't improve and her family ultimately decided to take her off life support.

Tests after death showed the woman died of Balamuthia mandrillaris, an amoeba that lives in soil and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also say it's possible it lives in water. Balamuthia can travel to the brain and can cause a deadly infection. Little is known about how people contract the amoeba and how to prevent it.

She tested negative for Naegleria fowleri, another amoeba able to cause deadly brain infections that was linked to a death of a Louisiana man who used a neti pot in 2013.

More: Brain-eating amoeba found in Louisiana water system

More: Deadly brain-eating amoeba symptoms are difficult to identify

The Seattle article authors warn that because cases such as this one are so difficult to diagnose, "it is possible that many more cases of Balamuthia have been missed."

Around the world, more than 200 cases of Balamuthia infection have been diagnosed with at least 70 cases in the U.S., according to the CDC.

InChiefsHeaven
01-24-2019, 10:34 AM
I use Neti pots from time to time. If I'm really congested, it won't work, so I get in the shower and let the hot water beat against my eyes, which seems to loosen the gunk. Then I blow my nose and then use the neti pot. Seems to work pretty well.

Reerun_KC
01-24-2019, 10:38 AM
I use them all the time. especially traveling to different climates 10 times a week.

I use the squirt bottle and just rinse a little, then blow my nose, then rinse a squirt then blow nose, repeat it several times...

I usually do it in a hot shower where I can get a bunch out before I start rinsing..

If it didnt do this while on the road, I would probably die.

O.city
01-24-2019, 10:43 AM
I pushed a root tip up into this lady's sinus the other day when I was extracting a tooth.

Once I went in and got it out and sowed her back up I realized fuck sinuses.

Jewish Rabbi
01-24-2019, 10:45 AM
I use them all the time. especially traveling to different climates 10 times a week.

I use the squirt bottle and just rinse a little, then blow my nose, then rinse a squirt then blow nose, repeat it several times...

I usually do it in a hot shower where I can get a bunch out before I start rinsing..

If it didnt do this while on the road, I would probably die.

Please stop doing it then. TIA.

scho63
01-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Why didn’t you get your tonsils removed? I got mine taken out at 25 and never get a sore throat anymore.

They refused to take them out. Said I was too old, they are too big and too many potential complications. Said the only chance of possibly changing their mind was if I was getting 3-4 per year.

prhom
01-24-2019, 12:12 PM
You have to bend your head forward as much as possible to help minimize what goes down your throat. And as soon as you start to feel it going down stop and spit out as much as you can. I doubt it is possible to be 100% with it.

This...you have to lean forward and tilt your head. If one side is really plugged I will start on the other until I can get it unplugged. It also helps to use some Vick’s or mentholatum about 5 minutes before you rinse, or do it in the shower. That gets the stuff loosened up and makes the neti pot work better.

Frazod
01-24-2019, 12:29 PM
I've had pretty good luck with this.

https://www.navage.com/nose-cleaner-nasal-irrigation-p/bdl-b-nc.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQiA4aXiBRCRARIsAMBZGz8-fIq5cb9-07AsWxkqQyXGAGIDavS-KHxwhGTpPSCrLHfNj3oRkkoaAmfwEALw_wcB

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71pwu7m5zVL._SY355_.jpg

Monty
01-24-2019, 12:30 PM
I used Flonaise first, switched to Nasocort and went back to Flonaise. Essentially the same shit. Flonaise isn't as harsh.

Directions said to look down.

Flonase and Nasacort don't do a thing for me except moisturization. I use Afrin and that gets the trick done for me so I'm not down with sinus infections twice a year, but will need to have surgery at some point.

Buehler445
01-24-2019, 12:32 PM
Remember your isotonic v. hypertonic on the nasal rinse or you will make your condition worse. Depends what relief you are looking for.

Ok, let's pretend, just pretend for a second that I'm a flaming moron and don't know what those words mean.

It depends on how plugged up your sinuses are. If your sinuses are completely blocked, the rinse isn't going to do anything. When I get nasal congestion, it's complete blockage and the dumb little pots are useless. The only thing that provides relief for me is something like Afrin. But you have to be careful with that because if you use it too often, it can actually make your symptoms worse...

Yeah, I've played that game with Afrin.

Woman dies from brain-eating amoeba after using neti pot with filtered tap water

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2018/12/07/neti-pot-tap-water-caused-womans-deadly-brain-infection-report/2236681002/

A woman who was told by her doctor to rinse her sinuses twice daily to clear up a chronic sinus infection died from a brain-eating amoeba.

No worries, I took my brain out and sold it years ago.

MTG#10
01-24-2019, 12:33 PM

https://www.navage.com/nose-cleaner-nasal-irrigation-p/bdl-b-nc.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQiA4aXiBRCRARIsAMBZGz8-fIq5cb9-07AsWxkqQyXGAGIDavS-KHxwhGTpPSCrLHfNj3oRkkoaAmfwEALw_wcB

Looks horrifying but I may try it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vbVxQUI9FaE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz
01-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Nose douche Eating jalapeno's didn't work for me for sure. I had a burning ass and my nose was still clogged. I have to say the nose completely blocked off was painful. I am a mouth breather but it still hurt.

Rawlsian
01-24-2019, 12:52 PM
I use Neti pots from time to time. If I'm really congested, it won't work, so I get in the shower and let the hot water beat against my eyes, which seems to loosen the gunk. Then I blow my nose and then use the neti pot. Seems to work pretty well.

This is my strat too

Frazod
01-24-2019, 01:22 PM
Looks horrifying but I may try it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vbVxQUI9FaE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It does take some getting used to - the whole vacusucking your head thing is definitely not a natural act - but it works. And you can see all the crap it removes floating in the bottom tank.

Chiefnj2
01-24-2019, 01:35 PM
https://resqrinse.com/hypertonic-vs-isotonic-nasal-rinses-which-one-should-you-choose/

Buehler445
01-24-2019, 01:41 PM
https://resqrinse.com/hypertonic-vs-isotonic-nasal-rinses-which-one-should-you-choose/

Thanks. I was using an Isotonic solution.

Dante84
01-24-2019, 02:02 PM

Same. Use mine every night.

Chief Roundup
01-24-2019, 02:20 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uNwWjALegDA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scho63
01-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Worse comes to worse, just have a chick sit on your face.....