PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Will Andy Ever Win The Big One?

arrwheader
01-25-2019, 05:51 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/andy-reid-rank-among-coaches-never-won-super-bowl-170329165.html

Where does Andy Reid rank among coaches who never won a Super Bowl?

January 21, 2019, 5:03 PM GMT
Andy Reid had a good chance to finally get a ring, but his 20th season as a NFL head coach ended the same as the previous 19. Without a Super Bowl title. His quest to raise the Lombardi will continue.

There’s no denying that Reid otherwise has one of the best resumes in league history. Reid’s 195 regular season wins are the eighth-most in league history and he has both Marty Schottenheimer (200) and Paul Brown (213) in his sights. To put it in further perspective, Reid has more regular season wins in similar timeframes than both Chuck Noll (193 wins over 23 season) and Bill Parcells (172 wins over 19 seasons). He took the Eagles to four straight NFC title games in the early 2000s, winning one before falling to the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX.

Andy Reid is among the best coaches to never win a Super Bowl.* (AP)
Andy Reid is among the best coaches to never win a Super Bowl. (AP)
What’s more, Reid’s coaching tree is full of thick and sturdy branches and it’s hard to find anyone in the league who will say a bad word about him, which is rare. There were a lot of people left disappointed on Sunday that Reid couldn’t get by Bill Belichick again.

The presence of Patrick Mahomes and the trust of the Hunt family should guarantee that Reid gets a few more good shots at winning a Super Bowl. But even if he doesn’t, he won’t be the first great coach to never win a title. Here’s how he currently ranks among the best coaches to never finish a season atop the league:

10. Marv Lewis, Bengals
Regular season record: 131-122 (.518) over 16 seasons
Playoff record: 0-7
What’s that? This isn’t a listicle of “best coaches to never win a playoff game?” Eh, that’s still OK. Getting the Bengals into the playoffs seven different times was a great feat for Lewis, who was finally fired after this season. He may not be the peers of the men at the top of this list, but leading one of the greatest defenses of all time (the 2000 Ravens) plus winning in Cincinnati is enough to land him on it.

9. John Fox, Panthers/Broncos/Bears
Regular season: 133-123 (.520) over 16 seasons
Playoff record: 8-7, two Super Bowl appearances
Fox is a tricky one. Take away three dismal seasons with the Bears and his career winning percentage is .569. But take away three seasons of Peyton Manning and it plunges to .456. (It’s not lost on anyone that taking Fox away from Manning in Denver resulted in Manning’s second Super Bowl ring.) Still, Fox is just one of six coaches to take two different teams to the Super Bowl.

8. Chuck Knox, Rams/Bills/Seahawks
Regular season: 186-147 (.558) over 22 seasons
Playoff record: 7-11, four NFC title game appearances
Fox, then Knox, then box in socks. Sounds like a Dr. Seuss stanza. Knox never made a Super Bowl, but the tough-nosed coach had a knack for turning teams around. He made four conference title games (including three in the mid-70s with the Rams) but could never quite reach the biggest stage. An unsuccessful second tour of duty with the Rams in the ‘90s marred his overall record a bit, but it’s hard to argue with 186 wins.

7. Dan Reeves, Broncos/Giants/Falcons
Regular season: 190-165 (.535) over 23 seasons
Playoff record: 11-9, four Super Bowl appearances
Another non-winning member of the two-team Super Bowl club, it’s also hard to judge Reeves career. Do you dock him for failing to win a Super Bowl during three trips with a young John Elway? Or do you credit him for reaching one in Atlanta with Chris Chandler? Coaching an AFC team in the NFC’s era of dominance didn’t do him any favors.

Don Coryell was an offensive genius with the Chargers. (Getty Images)
Don Coryell was an offensive genius with the Chargers. (Getty Images)
6. Don Coryell, Cardinals/Chargers
Regular season: 111-83 (.572) over 14 seasons
Playoff record: 3-6, two AFC title game appearances
Coryell’s innovations in the passing game earn him a revered spot amongst the coaching fraternity — as does the success of his coaching tree (John Madden, Joe Gibbs among others). Unfortunately, Coryell’s Chargers teams, which made two AFC title games, were the equivalent of the Steve Nash-era Suns. A great show that ultimately wasn’t built for postseason success.

5. Andy Reid, Eagles/Chiefs
Regular season: 195-124 (.611) over 20 seasons
Playoff record: 12-14 over 14 appearances, one Super Bowl appearance
He’s the only man on this list who has a job and thus a chance of removing himself from it. Only reaching the Super Bowl once keeps him from being ranked ahead of the coaches below.

4. Marv Levy, Chiefs/Bills
Regular season: 143-112 (.561) over 17 seasons
Playoff record:11-8, four Super Bowl appearances
Levy doesn’t have as many wins as other coaches on this list, but think about what he accomplished with those teams. A lot of coaches have won a Super Bowl, but only one has played in four straight — Levy. Considering those Bills teams could have easily been torn apart by a mixture of ego, success and disappointment, Levy’s coaching acumen is unquestionable.

3. Marty Schottenheimer, Browns/Chiefs/Chargers/Redskins
Regular season: 200-126 (.613) over 21 seasons
Playoff record: 5-13, three AFC title game appearances
Schottenheimer is seventh on the NFL’s all-time coaching wins list; the six men ahead of him are all in the Hall of Fame and have at least one Super Bowl or NFL title to their names. Schotty was a great regular-season coach, but he suffered from some of the most horrendous luck in the playoffs. Were it not for “The Drive,” “The Fumble,” Lin Elliott or Marlon McCree, Schottenheimer might already be occupying a deserved spot in Canton.

2. George Allen, Rams/Redskins
Regular season: 116-47-5 over 12 seasons
Playoff record: 2-7, one Super Bowl appearance
The father of the nickel defense, Allen was known as a football coach’s football coach. He never posted a losing season and helped turn around both the Rams and Redskins upon taking over. Allen could never win the playoffs, though, and his one Super Bowl appearance unfortunately came against the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins.

Bud Grant reached four Super Bowls, but went 0-4. (Getty Images)
Bud Grant reached four Super Bowls, but went 0-4. (Getty Images)
1. Bud Grant, Vikings
Regular season: 158-96-5 (.621) over 18 seasons
Playoff record: 10-12, four Super Bowl appearances
The Vikings are one of the most underrated tortured fanbases and not enough people talk about Grant as the guy who never got the big one. After winning the Grey Cup four times in the CFL, Grant came to Minnesota and dominated the ‘70s. The Vikings won 11 of 13 NFC Central titles behind the Purple People Eaters and made the Super Bowl four times. Grant won a 290 games between the NFL and CFL, a combined total that puts him just behind George Halas and Don Shula for career coaching wins. Grant and Levy are the only Super Bowl-era coaches in the Hall of Fame who never won a Super Bowl.

notorious
01-25-2019, 05:59 PM
3 of the top 5 were/are Chiefs coaches.......

The joke is and has always been on us.

Reerun_KC
01-25-2019, 06:04 PM

Always the whore Bridesmaid, never the Bride...

Titty Meat
01-25-2019, 06:05 PM
Nope. Never taking chances on a DC post Johnson will he his downfall.

Baby Lee
01-25-2019, 06:06 PM
Hey, don't 'understand' JUST LISTEN. . .

staylor26

I’ve been as negative as anybody after the playoff loss, but this is just silly. We have the best QB in the league. The joke is no longer on us.

TLO
YIP

IowaHawkeyeChief
01-25-2019, 06:18 PM
Yes, in the next two years, maybe back to back.

New World Order
01-25-2019, 06:20 PM

yip

As long as Veach isn't a total moron we should win it this season.

ChiefoftheKeyboard
01-25-2019, 06:27 PM
It won’t be as easy as it should be, but yes he will.

Hammock Parties
01-25-2019, 06:32 PM
Reid is no different than Dungy, Cowher, Shanahan or Vermeil.

He has his franchise QB, and now he will win it all.

And he's a better coach than any of those guys ever were.

Deberg_1990
01-25-2019, 06:33 PM
Yes.

In the AAF (Alliance of American Football) 2028

JakeF
01-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Doubtful

If Andy Reid can't win a Super Bowl with Patrick Mahomes then he should retire or step down to OC and stay they.

kysirsoze
01-25-2019, 06:36 PM

Pretty much. If Spagnuolo can field a respectable product, Mahomes will cement Reid's legacy as an all timer.

TribalElder
01-25-2019, 06:37 PM
I don't know that Andy knows what to do to win the Super Bowl or he would have done it by now.

IowaHawkeyeChief
01-25-2019, 06:39 PM
I don't know that Andy knows what to do to win the Super Bowl or he would have done it by now.

Donovan McNabb was his best QB before Mahommes... Please.

kysirsoze
01-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Have a top flight QB. That's the biggest thing. He never had that till this year and he was a coin flip away from getting his shot, losing to the greatest QB/coach combo of all time. He'll get there barring injury to Mahomes or health issues for himself.

stevieray
01-25-2019, 06:43 PM
Hey, don't 'understand' JUST LISTEN. . .

my wife busted out laughing...

BigRedChief
01-25-2019, 06:44 PM
WTF? You post a thread asking a question and then you have no poll? Thread fail

AND it’s a yahoo sports article.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-25-2019, 06:48 PM
Yes.

This loss in the AFCCG makes us stronger by A) getting Sutton out of here and allowing us to get the defense back up to a respectable overall ranking, and B) lighting a supreme fire under the ass of ownership. Prior to that game, the Chiefs being a true and legitimate threat to take it all AND dominate the conference was an abstract notion to Clark Hunt. That is no longer the case.

As to Reid, he is getting older and I believe he knows the clock is ticking and that he will be more open to suggestions and directions which will help him achieve his ultimate goal. And I believe Clark will have a hand in steering him in these new directions.

MTG#10
01-25-2019, 06:51 PM
Yes, he will win multiple unless he decides to retire within the next few years.

TLO
01-25-2019, 06:53 PM
Yes, he will win multiple unless he decides to retire within the next few years.

I don't foresee him retiring until Mahomes is gone.

Wallcrawler
01-25-2019, 07:03 PM
If we get the Spagnuolo that held the previously undefeated patriots with Randy Moss to 14 points in the superbowl, the odds are good.

If we get the dumpster fire from the rams/saints/giants, a lot will have to go Andys way.

Mahomes has to overcome Reids pant shitting on gameday. If he ONLY has to overcome that, and not a terrible defense as well, we have a shot.

But when you got a guy calling timeout when the other team is content with 7 going into half, because he thinks his D, that cant stop a high school team is now out of the fucking blue, gonna get a stop and he just ends up gifting them another touchdown....its tough to win big games when your coach is constantly blasting brown barbecue down both legs.

You have the football. Down 3. Just over 2 minutes left when you enter the redzone. No clock is run, no timeouts are forced. You score to go up 4 with 203 left on the clock and the worst d on the planet to try to hold it.

You can't constantly shit your pants in big games in regard to situational football. Not even Mahomes can overcome all that stupidity by himself.

If Spagnuolo gets us to top 15 defense, we have a good shot. Anything less, better start praying.

PHOG
01-25-2019, 07:05 PM
Of coarse. :thumb:

FloridaMan88
01-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Honestly I have doubts after Sunday's game.

Putting aside the situation on defense, Andy Reid's supposed offensive genius choked in the first half of the Faketriots game with 0 points/32 total yards.

Yes Andy adjusted in the second half, but that first half was brutal.

notorious
01-25-2019, 07:13 PM
His teams, particularly the Chiefs teams, have been soft.

New England physically dominated them, and if not for Brady choking this would have been a double digit ass whooping.

But hey, keep up that false hope!

I really like Andy, and he wins a lot of games, but I have no illusions of what he is.

01-25-2019, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't shock me if he didn't.

Why Not?
01-25-2019, 07:39 PM
If this list doesn’t motivate him, nothing will. You’re Andy Reid and you’re on a top ten coaching list of any kind with John Fox and Marvin Lewis?

Yikes.

JakeF
01-25-2019, 07:45 PM

Then why didn't he win a super with McNabb? People always talk about how good he was.

FAX
01-25-2019, 07:52 PM
Yes.

FAX

MTG#10
01-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Then why didn't he win a super with McNabb? People always talk about how good he was.

McNabb was one of the most overrated QB's of my lifetime (I'm 39). People used to laugh at me when I said Trent Green was better than McNabb...McNabb had one impressive season, Green had 3.

bdj23
01-25-2019, 08:07 PM
God I hope so

Hammock Parties
01-25-2019, 08:12 PM

Because he was never quite elite.

RunKC
01-25-2019, 08:29 PM

Same reason we lost last weekend. Ran into the best dynasty ever.

JakeF
01-25-2019, 08:32 PM
McNabb was one of the most overrated QB's of my lifetime (I'm 39). People used to laugh at me when I said Trent Green was better than McNabb...McNabb had one impressive season, Green had 3.

Because he was never quite elite.

Same reason we lost last weekend. Ran into the best dynasty ever.
So then Andy can't create a dynasty and can't win without an elite Quarterback. If so, that says a lot about the coach.

JakeF
01-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Will Andy Reid ever field a team that isn't sloppy and soft?

stevieray
01-25-2019, 08:41 PM
Yes.

Sassy Squatch
01-25-2019, 08:43 PM
So then Andy can't create a dynasty and can't win without an elite Quarterback. If so, that says a lot about the coach.
LMAO What the fuck? Go find a team that won the Superbowl without an elite QB or an elite performance by their QB in the playoffs, ala Flacco and Foles.

Wallcrawler
01-25-2019, 09:51 PM
LMAO What the ****? Go find a team that won the Superbowl without an elite QB or an elite performance by their QB in the playoffs, ala Flacco and Foles.

Trent fucking Dilfer

stevieray
01-25-2019, 10:01 PM
Trent fucking Dilfer

Almost 20 years ago.

Sounds convincing.

TwistedChief
01-25-2019, 10:07 PM

First, nice meeting you.

Second, hope the SB tickets were okay to unload.

Third, yes, I’ll see you at the SB next year. Reid will absolutely win it and soon.

Angry fan
01-26-2019, 04:51 AM
He won't. Andy Reid clock management is still a fail. That being said, is there anyone better available? Who knows. Probably not.

Someone needs to slap Andy around during the crunch time of games.

Rasputin
01-26-2019, 05:18 AM
Expectations should be win it all next year.

Super Bowl or bust next season for Andy Reid.

Bugeater
01-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Same reason we lost last weekend. Ran into the best dynasty ever.Jesus...that was what...2004? FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS LATER...he gets done by the same coach/QB.

No wonder I've lost interest in the NFL.

IowaHawkeyeChief
01-26-2019, 08:36 AM
First, nice meeting you.

Second, hope the SB tickets were okay to unload.

Third, yes, I’ll see you at the SB next year. Reid will absolutely win it and soon.

Ditto on meeting you.

Got lucky, sold them to a client who is a Huge Rams fan for my cost.

We will party next year on South Beach and watch the Chiefs bring it home!

KCFTW
01-26-2019, 09:06 AM
All we need to do is be middle of the pack in terms of penalties and defense, and we will win one. If he can't make the super bowl by the time Mahomes contract expires, he needs to go.

It was a horrible error in judgement to keep Sutton around as long as he did.

Coochie liquor
01-26-2019, 09:06 AM

I want to believe that Mahomes changes that. But I’m really struggling to be positive after I saw the offensive gameplan in the first half of the Pats game. He seemed to go away from what was working for us all year. Screens, and motions were non existent, and everything just looked different. I hope next time he has a better first half gameplan. Mahomes is a God, but is he enough to overcome Andy’s playoff blunders? I sure fucking hope so, but at this point I’m skeptical at best.

crayzkirk
01-26-2019, 09:43 AM
I say no for two reasons. First, Andy is a great offensive coordinator and an average head coach. He doesn't seem to be a full team coach and leaves the defense to the other guys. Second, the Chiefs are a model organization which is more interested in public opinion than winning. I base this on their loyalty to players and the large number of contracts that have strapped the team over the years.

Didn't want Andy/Alex when they were brought here and still don't want someone else's trash.

I'm not sure how many five year plans I have left.

FringeNC
01-26-2019, 09:47 AM
Sure he will, because of Mahomes. Almost all coaches who win SBs will them shortly after becoming head coach. Reid will be the exception. He's come close, has a great offensive mind, and this was Mahomes first year starting. He could actually get quite a bit better. Think about that.

oldman
01-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Yes he will, mostly due to Mahomes. I'm not going to blame the total crapfest of the 1st half totally on Andy. There were passes missed and dropped that could have lead to scoring. But the greater problem was the D. How many 3rd and longs did Brady overcome because Sutton couldn't/wouldn't adjust? When the broadcast booth starts dissecting the defense and calling the play, you know the Hoddie knew it, too. Spags may not be the total answer, but we sure know Sutton took us down a dark path.

Deberg_1990
01-26-2019, 10:16 AM
If just average coaches like Billick, Kubiak and Switzer can win it, Andy can too.

Sometimes its just timing, circumstance, and luck.

oldman
01-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Switzer??? Please, I could have won one with the 95 Cowboys.