View Full Version : Football Pro Football Focus Top 10 free Agent Linebackers

Titty Meat
01-31-2019, 11:44 AM
Discuss....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-free-agent-linebackers-in-2019

Rain Man
01-31-2019, 11:47 AM
KJ Wright would be interesting.

That may be more of a statement than a discussion. Sorry about that.

staylor26
01-31-2019, 11:57 AM
Jake Ryan is an intriguing cheaper option at LB.

With his health concerns I’d only give him a one year deal though.

gblowfish
01-31-2019, 12:05 PM
I dunno. I'd rather draft a stud middle linebacker out of college, and if we spend free agent bucks, use it on a legit corner or safety. We need reliable experience (another guy like Kendall Fuller) in the secondary.

chiefforlife
01-31-2019, 12:12 PM
Interesting the Dee Ford did NOT make the list?

htismaqe
01-31-2019, 12:14 PM
Interesting the Dee Ford did NOT make the list?

Look at the list. Dee Ford is an edge rusher, not a LB. ;)

htismaqe
01-31-2019, 12:16 PM
I dunno. I'd rather draft a stud middle linebacker out of college, and if we spend free agent bucks, use it on a legit corner or safety. We need reliable experience (another guy like Kendall Fuller) in the secondary.

The thing is, the corner market is going to be awful. Our chances of upgrading from a guy like Nelson aren't great, and our chances of paying big dollars for a guy just like Nelson absolutely are.

Because of the market, and the way the salary cap seems to be moving, is to draft a stud CB and sign a LB.

Chief Roundup
01-31-2019, 12:20 PM
I'd rather draft a stud middle linebacker out of college,.

Well we don't have the draft position for one of those. We would have to trade up and pretty significantly to get one. If there is even one in this draft.

Chief Roundup
01-31-2019, 12:21 PM
The thing is, the corner market is going to be awful. Our chances of upgrading from a guy like Nelson aren't great, and our chances of paying big dollars for a guy just like Nelson absolutely are.

Because of the market, and the way the salary cap seems to be moving, is to draft a stud CB and sign a LB.

Would love to have Mosley.

The Franchise
01-31-2019, 12:25 PM
Wright, Barr or Alexander.

Hicks would be nice but I think the Eagles bring him back.

htismaqe
01-31-2019, 12:25 PM
Well we don't have the draft position for one of those. We would have to trade up and pretty significantly to get one. If there is even one in this draft.

Yep. There's going to be a ton of DBs and pass rushers around when we pick late in the first. We need to focus on CB and S in the draft because that's where the strength will be.

staylor26
01-31-2019, 12:33 PM

This is not true. There’s a really good chance that one of either Mack Wilson or Devin Bush makes it to 29 (or at least within striking distance), and there are some solid day 2 prospects in Germaine Pratt and Tre Lamar. It’s actually a pretty solid ILB class at the top.

Iconic
01-31-2019, 12:37 PM
Barr is the only one I'd want

htismaqe
01-31-2019, 12:39 PM
This is not true. There’s a really good chance that one of either Mack Wilson or Devin Bush makes it to 29 (or at least within striking distance), and there are some solid day 2 prospects in Germaine Pratt and Tre Lamar. It’s actually a pretty solid ILB class at the top.

You think Bush makes it to 29? My thing is if they're going to draft an ILB high, he HAS to start day 1. Given the needs at DB, I'm not high on taking a LB that early. The FA LB list is MUCH stronger than the FA DB list and the money will be easier for a LB.

TEX
01-31-2019, 12:40 PM

Nailed it. Give me Baker at CB (don't think he'll be available at #29, but a good CB will be.) Love to sign Mosley.

RunKC
01-31-2019, 12:40 PM
I want Devin Bush badly. That guy is made to be in a 4-3.

O.city
01-31-2019, 12:41 PM
These dudes are all gonna make big money and the chiefs just gave hitchens a big deal last offseason

That’s a lot of money for 2 non pass rushing lb so I wouldn’t get too excited

htismaqe
01-31-2019, 12:43 PM
These dudes are all gonna make big money and the chiefs just gave hitchens a big deal last offseason

That’s a lot of money for 2 non pass rushing lb so I wouldn’t get too excited

They'll all be cheaper than the top CB's most likely.

O.city
01-31-2019, 12:45 PM
They'll all be cheaper than the top CB's most likely.

Sure but that doesn’t really matter, it’s still a lot of money to a spot that can be argued doesn’t have a high impact

T-post Tom
01-31-2019, 12:49 PM

Agree. Still some talk of KC interest in Earl Thomas. If he fully recovers, I could see that. Then again, there are many teams out there in a better cap situation that could outbid KC. Bringing in someone like that probably means EB is gone. I would be happy with a veteran safety and a 1st round corner in a 5 yr rookie contract. These appear to be the top guys at CB:

Greedy Williams, CB, LSU.
Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia.
Byron Murphy, CB, Washington.
Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson.
Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State.

Potential 2019 Secondary:

S (Healthy) Earl Thomas (or other FA Safety - ex. L. Collins)
S Murray/Lucas/Watts (Best man coming out of training camp.)
CB Kendall Fuller
CB Deandre Baker
CB Charvarius Ward

saphojunkie
01-31-2019, 12:51 PM
If we are going to sign an OLB for the 4-3, then it should absolutely be someone who isn't expensive. I think DoD is going to absolutely excel as a weak side OLB, and we already have a lot invested in Hitchens - who should be able to be an every down guy, the green-dot guy who stays on the field every play to call the defenses.

Frankly, I'm not sure why the choice isn't: 1st pick: DL/CB, 2nd: DL/CB, 3rd: SAM linebacker.

O.city
01-31-2019, 12:53 PM
I want Devin Bush badly. That guy is made to be in a 4-3.

That’s what I want

jjchieffan
01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Yep. There's going to be a ton of DBs and pass rushers around when we pick late in the first. We need to focus on CB and S in the draft because that's where the strength will be.

I thought that this draft was supposed to be strong in pass rushers. Last year was supposed to be strong in CB and S.

staylor26
01-31-2019, 12:58 PM
You think Bush makes it to 29? My thing is if they're going to draft an ILB high, he HAS to start day 1. Given the needs at DB, I'm not high on taking a LB that early. The FA LB list is MUCH stronger than the FA DB list and the money will be easier for a LB.

I honestly think one of those guys do, I’m just not sure which.

I agree that they have to be a day 1 immediate impact started, which I think they’re both capable of.

My guess is we sign a LB or a S and whichever one we don’t get will have to be filled with one of our first 3 picks.

The thing is, after spending big money at LB last year, I think safety is the more likely move in free agency this year.

I’d be willing to bet we sign Amos or Thomas.

htismaqe
01-31-2019, 01:14 PM
I thought that this draft was supposed to be strong in pass rushers. Last year was supposed to be strong in CB and S.

It was supposed to be but this year's DB class is trending up.

htismaqe
01-31-2019, 01:16 PM
I'll be honest. I want Nasir Adderley in the 1st. I like safeties like him and we could really use one. That being said, I think they're going to piddle around with Berry again next year, which means the next choice is probably CB, at least for me.

There's very little chance at all I'll actually be disappointed with the pick so I'm not going to get too worked up about. I'm about as high on this team as I've ever been right now, I'm just ready to watch the draft!

RunKC
01-31-2019, 01:16 PM
Based on Spags system and his fondness of creating effective blitzes, I think that secondary is going to be the focus this offseason.

I can’t count enough times this year that we blitzed and the QB just threw the ball up and we would either draw a flag or give up the catch.

htismaqe
01-31-2019, 01:21 PM
Based on Spags system and his fondness of creating effective blitzes, I think that secondary is going to be the focus this offseason.

I can’t count enough times this year that we blitzed and the QB just threw the ball up and we would either draw a flag or give up the catch.

Even without blitzing. Look at what Brady did in the quick passing game. Shoring up the secondary is going to create more pass rush opportunities, plain and simple.

RunKC
01-31-2019, 01:25 PM
I'll be honest. I want Nasir Adderley in the 1st. I like safeties like him and we could really use one. That being said, I think they're going to piddle around with Berry again next year, which means the next choice is probably CB, at least for me.

There's very little chance at all I'll actually be disappointed with the pick so I'm not going to get too worked up about. I'm about as high on this team as I've ever been right now, I'm just ready to watch the draft!

Look up Byron Murphy and Deandre Baker. Veach loves getting “his guy” and being aggressive about getting them.

I love Devin Bush, but I think that the most likely outcome at this point is Veach trading up for one of these corners.

htismaqe
01-31-2019, 01:26 PM
Look up Byron Murphy and Deandre Baker. Veach loves getting “his guy” and being aggressive about getting them.

I love Devin Bush, but I think that the most likely outcome at this point is Veach trading up for one of these corners.

DeAndre Baker is my #1 CB on the wish list right now. I like the fact that he has such a high floor.

O.city
01-31-2019, 02:07 PM
There was some talk on twitter around the SR bowl that the Chiefs were in love with Devin Bush but I can't for the life of me locate it now.

Angry fan
01-31-2019, 02:13 PM
How Cris Collingsworth was able to promote pro football focus to being competent is amazing. It's like people just like to read numbers, oh he's good! lol

PFF is a joke! I'd rate Football outsiders higher and even that I don't think too highly of.

You gotta respect Cris Collingsworth's business acumen to get a whole bunch of networks and footballs fans to buy into that garbage.

staylor26
01-31-2019, 02:17 PM
There was some talk on twitter around the SR bowl that the Chiefs were in love with Devin Bush but I can't for the life of me locate it now.

Was it from somebody reliable?

O.city
01-31-2019, 02:18 PM
Was it from somebody reliable?

I don't remember.

It was something like "The Chiefs are dying to draft Devin Bush" but I can't find it.

CoMoChief
01-31-2019, 02:27 PM
I dunno how much I'd want the Chiefs to spend in FA for the LB position considering the money locked up in Hitchens. Plus the safeties are shit, including Berry. Would rather have them make a play for Landon Collins and draft a LB. Bush would be nice, and would probably be available at Chiefs pick.

Simply Red
01-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Discuss....

Trash

JakeF
01-31-2019, 03:49 PM
Agree. Still some talk of KC interest in Earl Thomas. If he fully recovers, I could see that.
We are not trading for Earl Thomas and then giving him the new big contract. That's going to be about 30+ million between Berry and Thomas.

We can't cut Berry because of the shitty contract Clark agreed to.

Chris Meck
01-31-2019, 03:52 PM
Nailed it. Give me Baker at CB (don't think he'll be available at #29, but a good CB will be.) Love to sign Mosley.

I've seen like 3 mocks that have him going to either us or the Packers right behind us.

Chief Roundup
01-31-2019, 07:10 PM

You think a stud ILB will fall that far? I know you know more about the college prospects than I do. But when I think of stud I think of Kuechly.

Chief Roundup
01-31-2019, 07:14 PM

We definitely need to get a couple of CBs if at all possible.
With Berry, Sorensen, Lucas and Watts at Safety we probably won't take one til late if we do.

staylor26
01-31-2019, 07:22 PM
You think a stud ILB will fall that far? I know you know more about the college prospects than I do. But when I think of stud I think of Kuechly.

I mean not quite Kuechly level, but Bush and Wilson look like potential studs IMO.

If that’s what you meant then yea probably not going to get the next Kuechly.

Chief Roundup
01-31-2019, 07:28 PM
We are not trading for Earl Thomas and then giving him the new big contract. That's going to be about 30+ million between Berry and Thomas.

We can't cut Berry because of the shitty contract Clark agreed to.

Thomas is a FA.

Titty Meat
01-31-2019, 10:13 PM
Dumb question because I really havent followed what 43 OLB make since 2009 but it seems like the last 3 or 4 guys on that list really wouldnt break the bank?

Titty Meat
01-31-2019, 10:14 PM
I mean not quite Kuechly level, but Bush and Wilson look like potential studs IMO.

If that’s what you meant then yea probably not going to get the next Kuechly.

Agreed watched Michigan alot. Bush is a stud.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-31-2019, 10:45 PM
Yeah I’ve gotta say I hope Bush doesn’t go to Oakland.

They’ve got a chance to turn that thing around and be KCs toughest competition in a couple years within the West if they hit on their picks.

Hammock Parties
01-31-2019, 11:04 PM
Chiefs have too much money wrapped up in Hitchens.

Draft a couple of mid-rounders to play OLB and call it a day.

JakeF
02-01-2019, 03:49 AM
Thomas is a FA.
Ok, thanks for the correction.

It still doesn't change the main point that we aren't spending 30 million on safeties.

htismaqe
02-01-2019, 08:18 AM
Yeah I’ve gotta say I hope Bush doesn’t go to Oakland.

They’ve got a chance to turn that thing around and be KCs toughest competition in a couple years within the West if they hit on their picks.

They're going to need a QB.

Titty Meat
02-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Chiefs have too much money wrapped up in Hitchens.

Draft a couple of mid-rounders to play OLB and call it a day.

Hitchens isnt good.

Hammock Parties
02-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Hitchens isnt good.

He's going to wreck shit in our 4-3.

htismaqe
02-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Hitchens isnt good.

He was before he arrived in KC.

Titty Meat
02-01-2019, 11:49 AM
He was before he arrived in KC.

Dallas let him walk and got better.

htismaqe
02-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Dallas let him walk and got better.

Completely irrelevant.

O.city
02-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Dallas drafted 2 ilbs in the first and second round

Sure they got better. Doesn’t mean hitchens isn’t or can’t be a good player

htismaqe
02-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Dallas drafted 2 ilbs in the first and second round

Sure they got better. Doesn’t mean hitchens isn’t or can’t be a good player

Exactly.

O.city
02-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Chiefs got better with drafting Mahomes. Doesn’t mean alex Smith was a bad player

Buckweath
02-01-2019, 12:24 PM
He's going to wreck shit in our 4-3.
I'll believe it when I see it.

To me, if you are really a good/great player, you should be decent in any scheme, which Hitchens wasn't this past season.

I know scheme plays a part in how a player performs but I'm pretty sure Veach did not think Hitchens would be this poor playing in a 3-4.

As said above, the team is already paying big bucks to Hitchens. I wouldn't sign any expensive option but rather go with drafting an ILB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Money spent on the FA market should go to S, DL and/or CB.