PDA

View Full Version : MU NCAA announces penalties, including football bowl ban, for Mizzou’s academic fraud

TLO
01-31-2019, 12:11 PM
M-I-Z!

https://www.kshb.com/sports/ncaa-announces-penalties-including-football-bowl-ban-for-mizzous-academic-fraud-scandal

Missouri football faces a postseason ban next season, while its baseball and softball programs are barred from postseason competition this spring after the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions announced a range of penalties Thursday morning.

MU and the NCAA have been investigating allegations of academic misconduct since tutor Yolanda Kumar announced her role in completing coursework for students in a private Facebook post in November 2016.

Mizzou announced that it was being investigated around the same time.

The Committee on Infractions has determined that “the tutor completed academic work on behalf of 12 Missouri student-athletes,” according to a report released on the NCAA’s website at 11 a.m. local time.

Three Tigers athletic programs now face sanctions from the NCAA:

The entire Mizzou athletic department faces three years of probation.

Kumar, though not named in the report, received a 10-year show-cause order, preventing any NCAA member school from allowing her to work with its athletic department during that time.

The Tigers’ baseball and softball programs cannot participate in the postseason during the 2018-19 season, while the football program isn’t eligible for a bowl during the 2019-20 season. All three programs also are banned from postseason conference tournament participation.
Any games in which the 12 student-athletes in question participated after becoming ineligible must be vacated. MU must provide a written report to NCAA staff within 45 days.

The football, baseball and softball programs have been hit with a 5-percent scholarship reduction and also face various recruiting restrictions.

Mizzou, which self-imposed its disassociation from Kumar, also must pay a fine in the amount of $5,000 plus 1 percent of the football, baseball and softball budgets.
Among the recruiting restrictions for 2019-20, football, baseball and softball face a seven-week ban on unofficial visits, a 12.5-percent reduction in official visits, a seven-week ban on recruiting communications, a seven-week ban on all off-campus contacts/evaluation and a 12.5-percent reduction in recruiters allow to make visits on evaluation days.

Rain Man
01-31-2019, 12:17 PM
That tutor should consider transferring.

Pablo
01-31-2019, 12:19 PM
Damn. Next year was the year they were gonna make the CFP too.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2019, 12:19 PM
The tutor acted on her own per an independent investigation. The NCAA selectively enforces rules, yet again.

gblowfish
01-31-2019, 12:20 PM
Eh, we never win our bowl games anyway. Don't care.

TambaBerry
01-31-2019, 12:20 PM
The tutor acted on her own per an independent investigation. The NCAA selectively enforces rules, yet again.

if you truly believe that then i feel sorry for you, you're right that it happens all over the nation but come on

Matrix
01-31-2019, 12:36 PM
Damn. Next year was the year they were gonna make the CFP too.

Uh, no. LOL

TomBarndtsTwin
01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Without even clicking this thread, knew it would contain 3 things:

1. Mizzou not really guilty. **** NCAA.

2. Who cares? We (Mizzou) weren’t gonna do anything anyways.

3. Passive aggressive comments from KU fans, who are a little on edge, due to their basketball team losing a lot of games lately.

Glad to see I wasn’t disappointed. CP always comes through . . . .

RollChiefsRoll
01-31-2019, 01:00 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3965094/Tutor-says-took-exams-Mizzou-athletes-probe-started.html

The tutor said 'it just hit' her one day when she was trying to help a student who couldn't figure out an addition problem that her eighth grader would have known.

We're #1!!!

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/11/23/23/3AB3CA9500000578-3965094-image-a-8_1479945226389.jpg

TambaBerry
01-31-2019, 01:01 PM
Without even clicking this thread, knew it would contain 3 things:

1. Mizzou not really guilty. **** NCAA.

2. Who cares? We (Mizzou) weren’t gonna do anything anyways.

3. Passive aggressive comments from KU fans, who are a little on edge, due to their basketball team losing a lot of games lately.

Glad to see I wasn’t disappointed. CP always comes through . . . .

Losing a lot of basketball games????

Mecca
01-31-2019, 01:02 PM
I'm not even a Mizzou fan but the whole thing is just dumb.

Basically they punished Mizzou for cooperating, way to tell schools to cover it up.

Sure-Oz
01-31-2019, 01:03 PM
Fuck the NCAA.

@daniel_m_jones: As many have already stated, the conclusion from the conference call seems to be that #Mizzou's self-reporting and cooperation with the NCAA in its investigation resulted in stiffer penalties than if it would have stood its ground and fought the case from the beginning.

@Dave_Matter: NCAA COI is essentially saying that Mizzou is being penalized for being cooperative.

Can't make this shit up.

@NicoleAuerbach: On the NCAA/Mizzou call with David Roberts, the chief hearing officer for the panel, I asked if schools are now being encouraged not to cooperate or tell the truth. Roberts replied: "You can certainly make that argument."

Prison Bitch
01-31-2019, 01:07 PM
Mizzouche: one of the few schools that cheats, yet still sucks

TomBarndtsTwin
01-31-2019, 01:16 PM
Losing a lot of basketball games????

They’ve lost 3 of their last 4 games. What would you consider that?

ChiefBlueCFC
01-31-2019, 01:56 PM
Fuck the NCAA.

@daniel_m_jones: As many have already stated, the conclusion from the conference call seems to be that #Mizzou's self-reporting and cooperation with the NCAA in its investigation resulted in stiffer penalties than if it would have stood its ground and fought the case from the beginning.

@Dave_Matter: NCAA COI is essentially saying that Mizzou is being penalized for being cooperative.

Can't make this shit up.

@NicoleAuerbach: On the NCAA/Mizzou call with David Roberts, the chief hearing officer for the panel, I asked if schools are now being encouraged not to cooperate or tell the truth. Roberts replied: "You can certainly make that argument."

NCAA is a fucking joke and that has been well known for quite a few years now. NCAA needs to go away and something not as retarded and lacking complete common sense needs to take its place FFS

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2019, 02:16 PM
if you truly believe that then i feel sorry for you, you're right that it happens all over the nation but come on

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On conference call, Ncaa committee spokesman makes it clear that evidence indicates tutor acted on her own without direction from colleagues.</p>&mdash; Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) <a href="https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1091036860275515392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 31, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sassy Squatch
01-31-2019, 02:17 PM
Neat.

HonestChieffan
01-31-2019, 02:23 PM
There is no excuse for this sort of thing and anyone who thinks the coaches and Athletic department is unaware is a fool or in total denial. Throw the book at them

Mecca
01-31-2019, 02:24 PM
There is no excuse for this sort of thing and anyone who thinks the coaches and Athletic department is unaware is a fool or in total denial. Throw the book at them

It doesn't make sense when schools guilty of worse get lighter punishments, there is no consistency. If you are a blue blood you can get away with stuff while schools they don't think matter get huge penalties for less.

Prison Bitch
01-31-2019, 02:27 PM

Well-said^

Rain Man
01-31-2019, 02:29 PM
It doesn't make sense when schools guilty of worse get lighter punishments, there is no consistency. If you are a blue blood you can get away with stuff while schools they don't think matter get huge penalties for less.

Wow, college really does prepare you for life.

DJJasonp
01-31-2019, 02:30 PM
As a KU fan, it would be easy to laugh at this.......but in all reality, this is crap.

UNC denies, denies, denies.....while ex-players actually come out and say others took tests for them, etc. etc.

The NCAA is a joke and has nearly zero credibility left.

Either punish consistently, and fairly, across the board - or let it be the wild wild west.

The middle ground doesnt cut it.....and only punishes non-blue bloods.

If you really wanted to invoke change, start cutting federal or state aid to schools that get popped.....then enrollment goes down, and hits the school where it hurts the most.

HonestChieffan
01-31-2019, 02:30 PM
Wonder if the conference has any ability to punish a school

Mecca
01-31-2019, 02:31 PM
Well-said^

You all on your high horses should just shut down college athletics, it's not different than steroid use witch hunts, if stuff like that matters to you, don't watch cause it's everywhere and not going away.

TomBarndtsTwin
01-31-2019, 02:31 PM

Except the NCAA made findings to just the exact opposite. They concluded the tutor acted alone. Whatever we ‘think’ doesn’t matter, only what the facts show.

But, honestly, that doesn’t even matter. The biggest takeaway from this is the NCAA’s hypocrisy in all of this. Look the other way on UNC and minor wrist slap on LSU, but hammer Mizzou for extremely less serious academic fraud issues?

It’s a joke. The whole NCAA. The process. Everything. With this ruling, they are basically encouraging schools to lie and deny. No one should ever cooperate with the NCAA on an investigation going forward. You play by their rules and you get burned.

It’s why they’re the most corrupt athletic organization in America.

ChiefBlueCFC
01-31-2019, 02:32 PM

Fucking eye roll -- punishing kids that have nothing to do with the infractions, when the NCAA talks about how important and valuable the scholarships are, the opportunities that these sports provide, yet they want to NOT punish the school necessarily, they want to punish everyone involved with the program even if the people there had ZERO to do with it. Look at North Carolina -- slap on the wrist because they denied everything and fought it. Your opinion changes when its your school that gets caught giving a kid a tortilla

The NCAA is a fucking joke

Mecca
01-31-2019, 02:33 PM
Pretty sure anyone who backs the NCAA in something like this...see a few in this thread, is a fucking moron.

WhawhaWhat
01-31-2019, 02:41 PM
It’s a joke. The whole NCAA. The process. Everything. With this ruling, they are basically encouraging schools to lie and deny. No one should ever cooperate with the NCAA on an investigation going forward. You play by their rules and you get burned.

The investigations cost them too much money. If the schools report nothing and deny everything and the NCAA can pocket that money themselves.

Who wants to spend all that money listening to Adidas reps and schools talking about paying players and handlers when they could just go buy a new car instead?

BryanBusby
01-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Except the NCAA made findings to just the exact opposite. They concluded the tutor acted alone. Whatever we ‘think’ doesn’t matter, only what the facts show.

But, honestly, that doesn’t even matter. The biggest takeaway from this is the NCAA’s hypocrisy in all of this. Look the other way on UNC and minor wrist slap on LSU, but hammer Mizzou for extremely less serious academic fraud issues?

Save your breath. He's a racist dumbass.

dj56dt58
01-31-2019, 03:18 PM
Bowl games are stupid anyway..national championship is all they matters . They are glorified exhibition games that the star players sit out for

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2019, 03:25 PM
The NCAA in a nutshell:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2jewpx0.png

RollChiefsRoll
01-31-2019, 03:28 PM
Pretty sure anyone who backs the NCAA in something like this...see a few in this thread, is a fucking moron.

Surely, you don't mean Prison Bitch.

bowener
01-31-2019, 03:32 PM
Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if the SEC just said fuck it, we no longer recognize the NCAA as a governing body of college athletics?

What contracts are in place between the conferences/schools and the NCAA and what would it cost to break them? SEC could play round robin with each other, have a champion ship game, and a consolation game as their bowls and it would still the best football on TV for the most part.

BryanBusby
01-31-2019, 03:37 PM
I would guess the SEC would be shut out until the other conferences decided to follow them.

It should absolutely happen and the conferences would make more money by doing it.

ChiefBlueCFC
01-31-2019, 03:42 PM
Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if the SEC just said fuck it, we no longer recognize the NCAA as a governing body of college athletics?

What contracts are in place between the conferences/schools and the NCAA and what would it cost to break them? SEC could play round robin with each other, have a champion ship game, and a consolation game as their bowls and it would still the best football on TV for the most part.

If that were to happen, there would be a snowball effect and the Big 12, Big 10, ACC, PAC 12 would probably follow suit and they would happily play each other. Then the NCAA would probably fall apart as the other conferences would try and join with the power 5 conferences as the money follows those conferences not the NCAA

bowener
01-31-2019, 03:45 PM
If that were to happen, there would be a snowball effect and the Big 12, Big 10, ACC, PAC 12 would probably follow suit and they would happily play each other. Then the NCAA would probably fall apart as the other conferences would try and join with the power 5 conferences as the money follows those conferences not the NCAA

This is my assumption as well. Even if just the SEC skipped out, they would still rake in the recruits and the money. They wouldn't have to lie about student grades and could just make them fucking 1099 private contractors. They would have to have their own governing rules for recruitment, like a standard wage or salary cap perhaps. There is a lot that would have to be done to make sure things remain equal (or as equal as things can be with Alabama in the conference).

OnTheWarpath15
01-31-2019, 03:51 PM
UNC creates a class, run by a non-faculty member that required students to write ONE paper for an entire term grade, giving out nothing but A's and B's, for over 200 basketball players over 18 years.

Meanwhile, in Missouri...punished for self reporting something that affected 12 students.

NCAA cash cow universities can do whatever they want, the rest get punished for a fraction of what the blue bloods are caught doing.

Matrix
01-31-2019, 04:30 PM
Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if the SEC just said **** it, we no longer recognize the NCAA as a governing body of college athletics?

I don't see them sticking up for us. Most of them want us gone.

saphojunkie
01-31-2019, 04:37 PM
Mizzou loves this. It's a perfect excuse to not make any postseasons.

Sorry
01-31-2019, 04:42 PM
NCAA is seriously one of the top corrupt organizations in America right now considering the money involved and power. Fuck them.

Pablo
01-31-2019, 05:52 PM
I always enjoy it when shitty things happen to mutt u. Just delightful news today.

Best22
01-31-2019, 06:19 PM
I don't see them sticking up for us. Most of them want us gone.

Some fans do. But those rednecks opinions are meaningless

The conference leadership is a different story and they’re the ones who brought us in

dlphg9
01-31-2019, 06:20 PM
Love the kU trolls coming in here to preach morality when they have a guy on the basketball team that cant play because Bill Self had a buddy pay him, so that hed go to kU. kU paying players to come play bball is way worse than a rogue tutor and all thats happening to them is the kid cant play for now.

HCF is an old senile retarded racist that is mad because MU let too many black people have a say.

TribalElder
01-31-2019, 06:20 PM
Didn't Mizzou just land a 1 year transfer to play QB too

this means they most likely win their sec division ROFL

Matrix
01-31-2019, 06:24 PM
I always enjoy it when shitty things happen to mutt u. Just delightful news today.

Quantrill should've finished the job, bitch.

Chiefspants
01-31-2019, 06:37 PM
Quantrill should've finished the job, bitch.

He assumed Lawrence would give up on itself like Osceola did.

dlphg9
01-31-2019, 06:56 PM
He assumed Lawrence would give up on itself like Osceola did.

Lawrence wishes it was half the shit hole Osceola is.

bdj23
01-31-2019, 07:06 PM
Lawrence wishes it was half the shit hole Osceola is.

Osceola does have a nice cheese store

Rain Man
01-31-2019, 07:53 PM
I don't know how far reaching these things are. Will we allow Mizzou alums to participate in Chiefs playoff threads, or are they out?

dlphg9
01-31-2019, 08:26 PM
Osceola does have a nice cheese store

Rats love cheese

TLO
01-31-2019, 08:31 PM
Didn't Mizzou just land a 1 year transfer to play QB too

this means they most likely win their sec division ROFL

SEC! SEC! SEC!

dlphg9
01-31-2019, 08:34 PM
Anyone that wants to act like this isnt a load of shit is trolling and thats against the rules.

TomBarndtsTwin
01-31-2019, 08:37 PM
Anyone that wants to act like this isnt a load of shit is trolling and thats against the rules.

Meh.

Let the KU clan have their moment. Their basketball team has lost 3 of 4. They’re a little down in the dumps right now.

Besides, they don’t care about Mizzou anymore, remember? It’s not a rivalry. Right guys?

Pablo
01-31-2019, 08:54 PM

Against the rules.

LMAO

Buehler445
01-31-2019, 09:04 PM
I’m a giant KU fan and this is hog shit.

UNC gets literally fucking nothing but they come down hard on this? Get fucked.

dlphg9
01-31-2019, 09:18 PM

UNC gets literally ****ing nothing but they come down hard on this? Get ****ed.

This is bad for everyone. NCAA needs to be completely disbanded

Chiefspants
01-31-2019, 10:52 PM

UNC gets literally ****ing nothing but they come down hard on this? Get ****ed.

+1

bdj23
01-31-2019, 10:55 PM
Rats love cheese

RUDE!

BWillie
01-31-2019, 11:45 PM
I'm a KU fan and this is pretty hard punishment for just a rogue agent. Was it coerced by the coaching staff? I mean, with this penalty, it must have been. Quite honestly I would imagine this goes on at tons and tons of schools.

dlphg9
02-01-2019, 01:14 AM
I'm a KU fan and this is pretty hard punishment for just a rogue agent. Was it coerced by the coaching staff? I mean, with this penalty, it must have been. Quite honestly I would imagine this goes on at tons and tons of schools.

NCAA said she was rogue. No coercion

Mosbonian
02-01-2019, 05:04 AM
The real question us...does MU have the stones to take on the NCAA in court and point out the obvious double standard they have for punishment or will they just roll over and whimper like a whipped puppy?

GloryDayz
02-01-2019, 07:12 AM
MIZZOU, always playing checkers while others are playing chess.

TomBarndtsTwin
02-01-2019, 08:17 AM
The real question us...does MU have the stones to take on the NCAA in court and point out the obvious double standard they have for punishment or will they just roll over and whimper like a whipped puppy?

Yup.

This is what it really comes down to. Mizzou needs to be ready to take this one all the way. Go to the papers. Go on all the national syndication shows. Take on the NCAA with a full frontal assault. Get it into federal court if need be. Pull no punches. No matter what the cost . . . . .

I’d be overjoyed if anyone did it, but it would be glorious if Mizzou can be the one who finally attempts to take down the NCAA and call them out on all their bullshit. M I Z

baitism
02-01-2019, 08:37 AM
The NCAA's little insurgent...

htismaqe
02-01-2019, 08:42 AM
As a largely impartial observer (I root for a Big 10 team from Iowa), this appears to be injustice to the highest degree.

They got punished WORSE for self-reporting? There's nothing that seems "right" about that, logically or ethically.

I hope Mizzou fights this for the sake of all the "unimportant" programs (like the one I root for).

siberian khatru
02-01-2019, 08:45 AM
MIZZOU, always playing checkers while others are playing chess.

Yep, and always getting sand kicked in their face and walking away muttering, "You just wait, one day ..."

FloridaMan88
02-01-2019, 08:58 AM
Mizzou's Chancellor/President... whoever their Chief Operating Officer is needs to aggressively push back against the NCAA, similar to what then University of Miami President, Donna Shalala did during the Nevin Shapiro scandal.

GloryDayz
02-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Yep, and always getting sand kicked in their face and walking away muttering, "You just wait, one day ..."

Well, we are the land of "49 years"!

Chiefspants
02-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Yup.

This is what it really comes down to. Mizzou needs to be ready to take this one all the way. Go to the papers. Go on all the national syndication shows. Take on the NCAA with a full frontal assault. Get it into federal court if need be. Pull no punches. No matter what the cost . . . . .

I’d be overjoyed if anyone did it, but it would be glorious if Mizzou can be the one who finally attempts to take down the NCAA and call them out on all their bullshit. M I Z

I completely agree with this.

GloryDayz
02-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Mizzou's Chancellor/President... whoever their Chief Operating Officer is needs to aggressively push back against the NCAA, similar to what then University of Miami President, Donna Shalala did during the Nevin Shapiro scandal.

Agree. They can't be this powerless. Well, beyond what I suspect will be a rather useless appeal..

redfan
02-01-2019, 12:17 PM
I seriously doubt there's a big enough sac anywhere in CoMo to take the NCAA to task.

HonestChieffan
02-01-2019, 12:32 PM
The Tutor lady is sure taking in to her Twitter feed. Mizzou has to tread lightly with this one. Race/Gender/Religion issues all wrapped up in TutorGate.

GloryDayz
02-01-2019, 12:53 PM
I seriously doubt there's a big enough sac anywhere in CoMo to take the NCAA to task.

Yyyyyyyyup, and that's one of the reasons they keep getting shit on, they take it, dry, in the ass and ask for another!

GloryDayz
02-01-2019, 12:53 PM
The Tutor lady is sure taking in to her Twitter feed. Mizzou has to tread lightly with this one. Race/Gender/Religion issues all wrapped up in TutorGate.

Fuck that, she cheated, they need to throw the book at her in the process.

HonestChieffan
02-01-2019, 10:08 PM
**** that, she cheated, they need to throw the book at her in the process.

She cheated? It seems she was a tutor and she did what the athletes or athletic department wanted. She is a shitty one for sure but no more than the students who had her take their test. But in the end no one will go after her because of her faith.

GloryDayz
02-01-2019, 11:11 PM
She cheated? It seems she was a tutor and she did what the athletes or athletic department wanted. She is a shitty one for sure but no more than the students who had her take their test. But in the end no one will go after her because of her faith.

You're probably right, but had the woman kept her mouth shut...