PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs sign Aaron Ripkowski to futures contract

RunKC
02-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Could this be the end for the sausage? He is turning 31 this year and Ripkowksi is only 26.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> sign former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Packers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Packers</a> FB Aaron Ripkowski to reserve/future contract <a href="https://t.co/dUwdnu5XNC">https://t.co/dUwdnu5XNC</a></p>&mdash; Charles Goldman (@goldmctNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/goldmctNFL/status/1091214761340084225?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 1, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DfigndgnPAc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WhawhaWhat
02-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Sherman is a free agent isn't he?

Chiefsguyinri
02-01-2019, 08:49 AM
Yeah Sausage is a free agent and definitely earned some extra cash with his pro bowl performance..sadly for him there aren't many teams that use fullbacks

Rain Man
02-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Did everyone miss his pro bowl dominance?

DaFace
02-01-2019, 08:51 AM
Sherman is a free agent isn't he?He's been on rolling one-year contracts for a while now.

srvy
02-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Had a big first game of the year then Andy forgot him. Terribly misused for shinier objects deserves to go somewhere he will be used. A luxury we cant afford.

ChiTown
02-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Had a big first game of the year then Andy forgot him. Terribly misused for shinier objects deserves to go somewhere he will be used. A luxury we cant afford.

How, exactly, would you have used him more? We lead the NFL in scoring and yardage.

Why Not?
02-01-2019, 09:02 AM
deserves to go somewhere he will be used.

As a FB, that’s not really anywhere in today’s NFL. Hell, he’s kinda fortunate to have a roster spot to be honest.

InChiefsHeaven
02-01-2019, 09:03 AM
With a name like Ripkowski, how is he not a kicker?

BigRedChief
02-01-2019, 09:04 AM
As a FB, that’s not really anywhere in today’s NFL. Hell, he’s kinda fortunate to have a roster spot to be honest.Yep, your not fooling anyone with a FB in today's NFL.

Hoover
02-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Hard to pay a fullback 2 million.

This kid looks good, and plays at team min deal.

Done.

Dante84
02-01-2019, 09:07 AM
Yep, your not fooling anyone with a FB in today's NFL.

I think we fooled the Chargers pretty well with that pass down the sideline, where Sherm looked like Moss.

Indian Chief
02-01-2019, 09:09 AM
How, exactly, would you have used him more? We lead the NFL in scoring and yardage.

The Chiefs should have had him running the ball to use up clock on that last drive. Duh.

Hydrae
02-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Move Shermanator to TE to replace Harris.

ChiTown
02-01-2019, 09:50 AM

5'8" TE? LOL

O.city
02-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Sherman is good on special teams too but prolly time to move on

Monty
02-01-2019, 10:00 AM

I was thinking LB

St. Patty's Fire
02-01-2019, 10:15 AM
I like this, I remember being impressed with Ripkowski when he was with the pack.

Whoever is the Fb this season, Andy needs to fucking use him. Look how many snaps Develin was in for the Pats.

Valiant
02-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Yeah, someone will pay for Sherman after his probowl selection. Which still shocks me.

MIAdragon
02-01-2019, 12:55 PM
He's been on rolling one-year contracts for a while now.

I know his and dirty dans neighbor both expect to be back next year.

oldman
02-01-2019, 01:04 PM
Did everyone miss his pro bowl dominance?

This

The Chiefs should have had him running the ball to use up clock on that last drive. Duh.

And this.

I'm and advocate of using him more in the offense next year. He's another bullet in the chamber.

Angry fan
02-01-2019, 01:10 PM
Who's the better run blocker? Sherman or Ripkowski?

Simply Red
02-01-2019, 01:31 PM
same player as Anthony only younger.

Easy 6
02-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Man, I genuinely love a snotknocking throwback like Sherman

I've went on and on over the years at how criminally negligent his lack of use in the offense has been, but when you consider...

Lack of use outside ST

I probably wouldn't cry too hard if Reid decided to go younger and cheaper, while the leadership/talent drop off is sure to be glaring... it still might be the right call

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out

MahiMike
02-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Shoulda got that MVP when he had a chance.

saphojunkie
02-01-2019, 03:53 PM
God CP is fucking retarded.

Moar fullback carries! That’s the problem!

Bump
02-01-2019, 04:01 PM
if we are gonna use FBs we need a kimble anders type again.

Easy 6
02-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Can we also talk about blocking and pass catching, or should it be off limits?

Hydrae
02-01-2019, 04:25 PM
if we are gonna use FBs we need a kimble anders type again.

Loved Kimble. One of my all time favorites. Hated that he got hurt just when I got a chance.

St. Patty's Fire
02-01-2019, 04:31 PM

For me, I’m talking about using the Fb more for blocking purposes, working out of power formations a little more often.

htismaqe
02-01-2019, 04:33 PM
For me, I’m talking about using the Fb more for blocking purposes, working out of power formations a little more often.

That takes receiving options off the field. No way.

If you want more power formations, get a credible 2nd TE.

saphojunkie
02-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Can we also talk about blocking and pass catching, or should it be off limits?

Do you think we would have gone to the Super Bowl if we used Sherman more?

St. Patty's Fire
02-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Well, I’d agree that we need and should get a real 2 TE that can block.

And not every play needs a ton of receivers man, we should be able to effectively run plays out of every formation.

Easy 6
02-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Do you think we would have gone to the Super Bowl if we used Sherman more?

The phrasing is a bit dramatic and open ended here

Am I supposed to agree that Sherman = a SB victory or something?

He was underused here, particularly during the Smith era, we can all agree with that... and he also could've helped the 2018 offense more than did

There aren't that many all pro fullbacks left

But it's not a hill to die on, as my first post clearly shows... lets see what happens

srvy
02-01-2019, 09:19 PM

We couldnt handle NE blitz in the first half and still had some problems the second half. If sausage had of been in he would have stayed home to block and 2 certain TD's that first half may have been completed instead of overthrown because Pat rushed them.

Angry fan
02-01-2019, 10:04 PM

The issue is, finding a player who can block and be a receiving threat is a very rare thing. So do you want a blocking tight end who has lousy receiving skills or do you want a tight end who's a lousy blocker with great receiving skills?
This is why Gronkowski is heralded as one of the greatest tight ends of all time. There are faster and better route savvy tight ends than Gronkowski, but none of them can block like Gronkowski.

One of the reasons for using the power I formation is it gives defenses a different look that they don't see too often in today's football. It's also a different way to make a hole for the running back. The 49ers, Patriots and Saints were top 3 in FB snaps. I don't know too much about Jusczyk's blocking but he's a very decent receiving threat. The Patriots and Saints FB are known for their run blocking. Not so much as receiving threat though Brady and Brees will target them if you leave them open.

htismaqe
02-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Well, I’d agree that we need and should get a real 2 TE that can block.

And not every play needs a ton of receivers man, we should be able to effectively run plays out of every formation.

This isn't 1980. A FB should be on the field about 10 plays a game, if that.

St. Patty's Fire
02-02-2019, 12:18 AM
This isn't 1980. A FB should be on the field about 10 plays a game, if that.

Well, yeah, I think 10ish plays is about right.

Just for the record, Develin is on the field for ~35% of the Patriots offensive snaps per game. And Line from the Saints is on for about ~25% of plays. In 2019.

htismaqe
02-02-2019, 12:19 AM
Well, yeah, I think 10ish plays is about right.

Just for the record, Develin is on the field for ~35% of the Patriots offensive snaps per game. And Line from the Saints is on for about ~25% of plays. In 2019.

Not interested in playing football like the Patriots or Saints. They both have aging QBs they're trying to protect.

Chargem
02-02-2019, 02:29 AM
Ripkowski? RIP Sherman more like!

But seriously though, if you look at a team like the Patriots then Devlin knows pretty much the whole route tree and can comfortably play out wide or the slot rather than just tank a guy at the LOS. That's the kind of guy you can give more snaps to, and Sherman is a little bit that guy but not probably enough to actually pay him anything.

Angry fan
02-02-2019, 02:57 AM
Not interested in playing football like the Patriots or Saints. They both have aging QBs they're trying to protect.

Play to the personnel strength but you do want to protect Mahomes. He keeps taking hits and he'll age quickly. Don't need to use a FB but some play action instead of read option could be really good for him. You can do it out of the 11 personnel just like the Rams do right now. The Rams have run the highest percentage of play action in the league and they don't even have a FB.

Chargem
02-02-2019, 06:06 AM
Play to the personnel strength but you do want to protect Mahomes. He keeps taking hits and he'll age quickly. Don't need to use a FB but some play action instead of read option could be really good for him. You can do it out of the 11 personnel just like the Rams do right now. The Rams have run the highest percentage of play action in the league and they don't even have a FB.

The Chiefs are already doing plenty of funky protections, like using wide receivers in a sort of half back position to pass block.

The two things that will protect Mahomes better will be a full season from LDT (with preferably Wylie as the other starting guard) and Mahomes getting smarter in the back field, he brought pressure on himself at times.