PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Where you spend your first-round draft pick in April?

Rain Man
02-04-2019, 01:13 PM
The 2019 NFL Player Selection Process will occur in April. Assuming that there's equal talent at all positions when we make our selection, what position do you choose?

(Maybe this should go into the draft forum, but I view that as a place for the experts to dive deep, whereas this is a poll for the masses.)

In58men
02-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Safety or CB

TambaBerry
02-04-2019, 01:19 PM
best player available out of the big money positions. CB, pass rusher, etc

staylor26
02-04-2019, 01:20 PM
DB

GermanChief
02-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Backfield

Hydrae
02-04-2019, 01:38 PM
I started to go with CB but if all things are equal I would rather have a stud MLB to anchor the middle. I think this would have the biggest impact on the current defense with the 4-3 change we expect to see this next year.

suzzer99
02-04-2019, 01:39 PM
MLB that you can build a defense around for a decade+. If that's not available, then CB or Safety.

St. Patty's Fire
02-04-2019, 01:41 PM
CB, ILB, S in that order

Rain Man
02-04-2019, 01:45 PM
I voted safety, but there's a part of me that wants to build a wall on offense by drafting a high-floor, high-ceiling stud center or guard. It'll protect us from disaster, and if you give Patrick more time in a clean pocket...zowie.

Kiimo
02-04-2019, 01:47 PM
By need

CB
Safety
LB
RB

Buckweath
02-04-2019, 01:47 PM
CB for sure.

Not a fan of taking a safety there when the FA crop will be very good and the last time around that position was not getting big salaries.

An ILB or DT would also be welcome though Nnadi looks like a starter for the foreseeable future.

saphojunkie
02-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Given how deep this DL class is being touted to be, I would say draft a CB in the first, then if your guy is falling deep enough in the second, package a late or future pick to move up for him.

Sofa King
02-04-2019, 01:48 PM
CB, ILB, S in that order

Probably this

saphojunkie
02-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Probably this

I would bet all that I own that this won't happen.

Tribal Warfare
ILB, the Chiefs got face fucked with 5he running game because the LBs couldn't shed maintain gap responsibilities.

ChiefBlueCFC
The correct answer is defensive backfield

Hoover
02-04-2019, 01:50 PM
I think the TE is what would push the score to the 60s. But I voted CB.

Reerun_KC
02-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Backfield

Defensive backfield right?

Dunerdr
02-04-2019, 02:01 PM
i voted db, because that appears to be the fa weakness as of now. wouldnt be mad at all if we upgraded any point on oline or dline though.

Kiimo
02-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Given how deep this DL class is being touted to be, I would say draft a CB in the first, then if your guy is falling deep enough in the second, package a late or future pick to move up for him.

My man. This is my dream scenario and would go a long ways to make up for Veach's first draft.

Whatever you do, don't draft a tweener that has the ability to stay on his feet or whatever.

We also need a fast running back.

saphojunkie
02-04-2019, 02:14 PM
My man. This is my dream scenario and would go a long ways to make up for Veach's first draft.

Whatever you do, don't draft a tweener that has the ability to stay on his feet or whatever.

I think it's a strong possibility that Speaks was drafted for the 4-3.

Simply Red
02-04-2019, 02:18 PM
CB, ILB, S in that order

I'm good w/ this

Mecca
02-04-2019, 02:21 PM

Moving out of the 3-4 means that drafting guys like that is probably done.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 02:27 PM
I'm leaning TE for the reasons I've stated in the draft lounge along with the depth of the top of the TE class being outstanding.

There are 3 guys who we could send out there in 12 formations that would all three be genuine difference makers (Smith, Hockenson and Fant). With our tendency towards using the shotgun, a power running game just isn't going to be all that easy for us. We have to have an RB that can work well in space and trying to play a FB in the shotgun is just a bad idea.

So if you want to strengthen your ability to have a physical run game, you need another blocker on the field - that's how a 2 TE set would be huge for us. Moreover, with Kelce's (and those 3 guys) ability to split out wide, you can run your route combinations from an '11' formation sort of package using nothing but motion to create space if that's what the opposing defense tries to bait you into doing. You can still use 12 personnel but from 11 spacing to get your timing and route combinations how you want them. Meanwhile defenses see the 12 personnel in the huddle and send out their defensive packages accordingly.

What having 2 elite TEs would allow us to do is show any look we want at any time and not actually give away what we're looking to do. We can run between the tackles, we can send Kelce into the slot, we can put Williams out in the pattern and keep 2 TEs to block and mess up blitzes. We can do a lot of different things and have a creative enough coach to make it all work.

In a perfect world, a day 1 CB with potential #1 skills falls to us but I don't see that happening. Meanwhile someone like Smith or Hockenson could fall and be a genuine difference maker immediately.

I mean look - if Devin White falls into the late teens/early 20s - see if you can go get him. But I'm more and more convinced that the best use we'll have of that pick given the likely available talent at the end of that round is going to be one of those 3 TEs. They simply appear to have more talent than the likely available CBs and I'm not convinced that using a 1st on a safety, especially more of a cover safety (Thompson is the likely pick at S here) is a great idea.

Moreover, Kelce isn't getting younger and his deal is up around the time we need to extend Mahomes. This gives us 2-3 seasons with a Gronk/Hernandez dynamic (minus the murder and misogyny) plus a security blanket for injuries, age related decline or simple cap casualties.

GermanChief
02-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Defensive backfield right?

Yes, defensive backfield.

Cosmos
02-04-2019, 02:35 PM
best player available out of the big money positions. CB, pass rusher, etc

This....include DT & OT.

Kills me what Fischer makes...

carcosa
02-04-2019, 02:35 PM
My priorities in order:
CB
ILB
S
OL (sub-priorities: G, C, LT, RT)
EDGE (could be a higher priority depending on what happens with Dee Ford)
TE (having another great TE would open up the offense even more and be in line to take over for Kelce when he starts to decline)
WR
RB (I honestly think we'll be in good shape with the Brothers Williams but if a Kareem Hunt-level talent is there in a mid or later round, go for it)
Groundskeeper
Usher
Cheerleader
Janitor
Scoreboard operator
Jumbotron operator
Pyrotechnics engineer
PR intern
Concessions manager
Parking lot attendant
QB

Cosmos
02-04-2019, 02:38 PM
I'm leaning TE for the reasons I've stated in the draft lounge along with the depth of the top of the TE class being outstanding.

There are 3 guys who we could send out there in 12 formations that would all three be genuine difference makers (Smith, Hockenson and Fant). With our tendency towards using the shotgun, a power running game just isn't going to be all that easy for us. We have to have an RB that can work well in space and trying to play a FB in the shotgun is just a bad idea.

So if you want to strengthen your ability to have a physical run game, you need another blocker on the field - that's how a 2 TE set would be huge for us. Moreover, with Kelce's (and those 3 guys) ability to split out wide, you can run your route combinations from an '11' formation sort of package using nothing but motion to create space if that's what the opposing defense tries to bait you into doing. You can still use 12 personnel but from 11 spacing to get your timing and route combinations how you want them. Meanwhile defenses see the 12 personnel in the huddle and send out their defensive packages accordingly.

What having 2 elite TEs would allow us to do is show any look we want at any time and not actually give away what we're looking to do. We can run between the tackles, we can send Kelce into the slot, we can put Williams out in the pattern and keep 2 TEs to block and mess up blitzes. We can do a lot of different things and have a creative enough coach to make it all work.

In a perfect world, a day 1 CB with potential #1 skills falls to us but I don't see that happening. Meanwhile someone like Smith or Hockenson could fall and be a genuine difference maker immediately.

I mean look - if Devin White falls into the late teens/early 20s - see if you can go get him. But I'm more and more convinced that the best use we'll have of that pick given the likely available talent at the end of that round is going to be one of those 3 TEs. They simply appear to have more talent than the likely available CBs and I'm not convinced that using a 1st on a safety, especially more of a cover safety (Thompson is the likely pick at S here) is a great idea.

Moreover, Kelce isn't getting younger and his deal is up around the time we need to extend Mahomes. This gives us 2-3 seasons with a Gronk/Hernandez dynamic (minus the murder and misogyny) plus a security blanket for injuries, age related decline or simple cap casualties.

A TE makes sense to draft, but we need to remake the back 7 - BADLY!!

Discuss Thrower
02-04-2019, 02:38 PM
OTotF

lawrenceRaider
02-04-2019, 02:41 PM
CB, ILB, S in that order

Best player available in this group would make the most impact on the Chiefs D.

OT after that.

carcosa
02-04-2019, 02:42 PM

I'd definitely rather get an elite TE than reach for a so-so guy in a position of need...

O.city
02-04-2019, 02:43 PM
You just can't shoehorn yourself into a position or you'll end up with Tyson Jackson.

Ideally a Corner falls into your lap. Maybe a safety.

You've just gotta see who's there.

patteeu
02-04-2019, 02:44 PM
Is there a Luke Kuechly of offensive centers available? If Andy Reid is right that the interior pass rush is the future of the NFL, I figure it devalues LT and increases the values of G and C. And protecting Patrick Mahomes should be the first priority.

Realistically, probably CB. In any event, BPA should rule the day.

ModSocks
02-04-2019, 02:45 PM
You just can't shoehorn yourself into a position or you'll end up with Tyson Jackson.

This.

BPA on defense. No fucks given @ the position. Anywhere they can get better they need to get better.

O.city
02-04-2019, 02:47 PM
This.

BPA on defense. No ****s given @ the position. Anywhere they can get better they need to get better.

Pretty much.

Defense is so much about depth and just having guys everywhere. Offenses are too smart these days to just let a couple guys wreck it that they'll just go after your weaknesses. You've gotta have 11 competent good players.

O.city
02-04-2019, 02:48 PM
I actually agree a little with patteau there also, if there is a legit center there in the first, i'd think about it.

Ideally that is what you can use one of those 2nds on though.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 02:51 PM
A TE makes sense to draft, but we need to remake the back 7 - BADLY!!

No question, we absolutely do.

But we also need to recognize that Deion fucking Sanders wouldn't have solved many problems when we have DBs bailing at the snap against Tom Brady. I mean !@#$ me, how you routinely give that cushion to a guy that wants to work underneath....ugh.

I'm sidetracking....back on task I'm trying to say that I don't think our DBs have as little talent as their results often suggested. I'd be a little leery of reaching to address a problem when right this very second we don't know the full extent of that problem. Fuller is outstanding and Ward can play. Lucas is capable and Berry will be back next year, like it or not.

If we were drafting in a spot to get a Lattimore or a Fitzpatrick, someone who I think could step in on Day 1 as a starter and immediately provide a steadying influence in our secondary, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I don't think DeAndre Baker is that guy. I don't think Byron Murphy is that guy. Hell, I'm not convinced this draft even HAS that guy. I think a CB we draft is going to be a marginal improvement at best over Steven Nelson at least for the first year.

Meanwhile I think we can do a lot on the offensive side of the ball to make this team more dynamic, especially in the run game and over the middle where we can pull attention away from Hill.

If our goal on defense is to get to 'credible', I think we can do that without overdrafting a DB and in the process could get a guy that takes this offense to truly historic.

But again - if Devin White falls, that's the kind of Derrick Johnson addition to the middle of our D that can fix a LOT of problems. If he's attainable, go get him. I just don't think he will be after he fist fucks the combine.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 02:57 PM

Exactly - my vote is based on projecting who's gonna be there. I think among 'BPA defenders' you're looking at Deionte Thompson and Mack Wilson at S and ILB respectively and Deandre Baker at CB. Probably Montez Sweat or Dexter Lawrence at DL.

Given that kind of best guess available 'BPA on Defense' - fuck it, gimme Irv Smith and I'll take my chances.

Zebedee DuBois
02-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Somewhere in the back 2/3rds of the defense

O.city
02-04-2019, 03:00 PM
No question, we absolutely do.

But we also need to recognize that Deion ****ing Sanders wouldn't have solved many problems when we have DBs bailing at the snap against Tom Brady. I mean !@#$ me, how you routinely give that cushion to a guy that wants to work underneath....ugh.

I'm sidetracking....back on task I'm trying to say that I don't think our DBs have as little talent as their results often suggested. I'd be a little leery of reaching to address a problem when right this very second we don't know the full extent of that problem. Fuller is outstanding and Ward can play. Lucas is capable and Berry will be back next year, like it or not.

If we were drafting in a spot to get a Lattimore or a Fitzpatrick, someone who I think could step in on Day 1 as a starter and immediately provide a steadying influence in our secondary, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I don't think DeAndre Baker is that guy. I don't think Byron Murphy is that guy. Hell, I'm not convinced this draft even HAS that guy. I think a CB we draft is going to be a marginal improvement at best over Steven Nelson at least for the first year.

Meanwhile I think we can do a lot on the offensive side of the ball to make this team more dynamic, especially in the run game and over the middle where we can pull attention away from Hill.

If our goal on defense is to get to 'credible', I think we can do that without overdrafting a DB and in the process could get a guy that takes this offense to truly historic.

But again - if Devin White falls, that's the kind of Derrick Johnson addition to the middle of our D that can fix a LOT of problems. If he's attainable, go get him. I just don't think he will be after he fist ****s the combine.

Exactly - my vote is based on projecting who's gonna be there. I think among 'BPA defenders' you're looking at Deionte Thompson and Mack Wilson at S and ILB respectively and Deandre Baker at CB. Probably Montez Sweat or Dexter Lawrence at DL.

Given that kind of best guess available 'BPA on Defense' - **** it, gimme Irv Smith and I'll take my chances.

That's my issue with just going in on a certain area. Is the guy you get there demonstrably better than the guy you can get at that position in the 2nd round? If not, i'm not gonna go there.

I have a hard time seeing those 3 TE's make it that far with everyones infatuation with offense right now.

Easy 6
02-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Good call, best available corner or safety then go get us another athletic pass rusher to put next to Jones

Then we can start looking at TE, MLB, and C

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 03:04 PM
That's my issue with just going in on a certain area. Is the guy you get there demonstrably better than the guy you can get at that position in the 2nd round? If not, i'm not gonna go there.

I have a hard time seeing those 3 TE's make it that far with everyones infatuation with offense right now.

I think Fant is the most likely to slide and ultimately he'd be the one I'd be least excited to grab. If it's Fant, Wilson and Thompson there, I'd have a real hard time deciding where I'd go with it; probably Thompson but it's close.

My hope is that Hockenson starts to slip a bit in the combine process. He's not going to obliterate stopwatches or anything but that guy is a HELL of a well-rounded football player with elite ball skills.

He'd be absolutely amazing in this offense, IMO.

oldman
02-04-2019, 03:05 PM
As much as last year made Willie Lanier (and me) sad, I think the biggest need is CB. Fuller is often above average and Ward shows promise, but another to take Nelson's spot would help. I almost went with S, just because I don't think we'll see the Berry of old again and we need help there. If we go to a 4-3, I'd certainly use our 3rd pick on a MLB, because Mr. Lanier shouldn't ever be sad.

O.city
02-04-2019, 03:15 PM
I think Fant is the most likely to slide and ultimately he'd be the one I'd be least excited to grab. If it's Fant, Wilson and Thompson there, I'd have a real hard time deciding where I'd go with it; probably Thompson but it's close.

My hope is that Hockenson starts to slip a bit in the combine process. He's not going to obliterate stopwatches or anything but that guy is a HELL of a well-rounded football player with elite ball skills.

He'd be absolutely amazing in this offense, IMO.

In that scenario, is Devin Bush available? Cause i'd take him over Wilson and Thompson.

Bump
02-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Depends what's available. If there is a DB or MLB worthy of the pick than you take him without question. If one of those positions is a reach, then take a WR or inside offensive lineman if its worth the pick. I'd hate to reach on a DB and end up getting something like Javier Arenas when we could have just got a good WR or something.

RunKC
02-04-2019, 03:21 PM
With Andy’s affinity for pass rushers and lineman, I think a DE like Jaylon Ferguson is on the table, especially if they cut Houston.

I think corner is obviously up there too. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Veach trade up for the kid from Washington. Right now it appears that DE, Corner and TE are the best value at 29.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 03:41 PM
In that scenario, is Devin Bush available? Cause i'd take him over Wilson and Thompson.

I would imagine that Bush is there at the back of the 1st, yes.

O.city
02-04-2019, 03:48 PM
I would imagine that Bush is there at the back of the 1st, yes.

I’d take him in that scenario

Beef Supreme
02-04-2019, 03:49 PM
I would spend it on hookers and blow.

htismaqe
02-04-2019, 03:56 PM
With Andy’s affinity for pass rushers and lineman, I think a DE like Jaylon Ferguson is on the table, especially if they cut Houston.

I think corner is obviously up there too. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Veach trade up for the kid from Washington. Right now it appears that DE, Corner and TE are the best value at 29.

If Nasir Adderley is there, I'm taking him. He's the only safety I really covet at that spot though. There's 2 or 3 CBs that I would take there.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 04:05 PM
If Nasir Adderley is there, I'm taking him. He's the only safety I really covet at that spot though. There's 2 or 3 CBs that I would take there.

The thing that worries me about taking a safety in the 1st is that I think Savage or Gardner-Johnson could still be there for us in the 2nd and I don't see anyone in the safety class that are clearly better than they are.

Adderley might be the highest ceiling of the lot and is probably the only guy with the chance to truly break through and be a all-downs difference maker but there are going to be quality of competition concerns there. Because even if he has a good game or two against quality opponents, it's the lack of a long-season worth of grind that is tough to look past. From a small college you just cannot get a feel for how he'll deal with those week in, week out challenges.

htismaqe
02-04-2019, 04:06 PM
The thing that worries me about taking a safety in the 1st is that I think Savage or Gardner-Johnson could still be there for us in the 2nd and I don't see anyone in the safety class that are clearly better than they are.

Adderley might be the highest ceiling of the lot and is probably the only guy with the chance to truly break through and be a all-downs difference maker but there are going to be quality of competition concerns there. Because even if he has a good game or two against quality opponents, it's the lack of a long-season worth of grind that is tough to look past. From a small college you just cannot get a feel for how he'll deal with those week in, week out challenges.

All fair. I just know what Eric Berry did for this defense. Adderley is the only safety in this draft that can be that.

TRR
02-04-2019, 04:07 PM
This thread is too early. Let’s revisit once we see what players are re-signed and what holes are filled via free agency.

O.city
02-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Another issue for me on a safety is just how the recent safety market has played out. I feel like you could get a couple in free agency for what you’d have to pay a first rounder

jjchieffan
02-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Depends on who is available really. I'm hoping that a highly rated safety or corner falls to us. But, if not, best defensive player available.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 04:15 PM
All fair. I just know what Eric Berry did for this defense. Adderley is the only safety in this draft that can be that.

I do wonder how much of the recent defensive decline that's been attributed to EB can/should have been attributed to DJ's decline instead.

What if we replace EB with some reasonable facsimile and as it turns out the guy we really needed to be worried about was our MLB? O.City is looking for him in Bush, I think we could actually get him with White.

If we could use one of the 2s to move up into range to get White and then get Gardner Johnson or Savage with the other 2, you've covered some pretty big time bases there...

O.city
02-04-2019, 04:22 PM
I do wonder how much of the recent defensive decline that's been attributed to EB can/should have been attributed to DJ's decline instead.

What if we replace EB with some reasonable facsimile and as it turns out the guy we really needed to be worried about was our MLB? O.City is looking for him in Bush, I think we could actually get him with White.

If we could use one of the 2s to move up into range to get White and then get Gardner Johnson or Savage with the other 2, you've covered some pretty big time bases there...

Yeah, I do think DJ was a pretty large factor there in the middle. He cleaned up a lot.

That's why I'd be on board with taking Bush or one of the ILB.

I wouldn't take the one from Bama, i'm a bit meh there. But the kid from LSU, yeah.

Beef Supreme
02-04-2019, 04:25 PM
ILB is more important than ever.

O.city
02-04-2019, 04:27 PM
This is a little off topic, but one place Belicheck just kills the league is using his late round picks to trade for players.

Look at his defense. Mccourty, Van Noy, etc.

Enough taking these slapasses in the late rounds hoping for a diamond. Trade those picks.

htismaqe
02-04-2019, 04:28 PM

I'm not big on taking a MLB in the 1st. Even less so on trading up to get there.

ThaVirus
02-04-2019, 04:33 PM
With such a late pick, I wouldn't be upset about any BPA pick besides QB.

I'm hoping for a defensive difference maker though.

O.city
02-04-2019, 04:33 PM
I'm not big on taking a MLB in the 1st. Even less so on trading up to get there.

Why?

I actually agree a little, curious on your reasons?

If you are gonna take one in the first, he needs to be a legit 3 down ILB. Now, the back end of the first is a little different for sure, but it's still a similar thought process.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 04:34 PM

But you'd take a safety?

I mean ultimately Luke Keuchly would be every bit as impactful as Eric Berry, if not moreso. I think the EB vs. DJ debate is also pretty demonstrative.

Was Earl Thomas more important to Seattle than Bobby Wagner is? I don't think so and in fact I'd take Wagner over Earl without batting an eye. If I could add any single defensive player to this team, Bobby Wagner would be in my top 10 and maybe fringe top 5. Players like that make a HUGE difference on a defense.

I mean I understand if you say the pick needs to be used on a CB or WR or OT or a conventionally 'splashy' pick, but I don't see how you can advocate taking a safety but be opposed to taking a MLB. In terms of importance, they're equally valuable. Especially when you're talking about a 3-down type of MLB and not just a rotational player.

I agree - you don't take a rotational MLB in the 1st, but you don't take a box safety either. You have to compare apples to apples and if you say "yeah, I take this safety because he's a 3 down player" then I don't see how you can discount a MLB out of hand who also has the skills to be a 3-down backer.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Why?

I actually agree a little, curious on your reasons?

If you are gonna take one in the first, he needs to be a legit 3 down ILB. Now, the back end of the first is a little different for sure, but it's still a similar thought process.

Hey, you finally got something said before I did!

Good job.

O.city
02-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Any chance the Seahwaks would trade us Wagner? He's fucking awesome.

Toad
02-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Yes. This.
Depends on how Veach’s board falls.

With the neglect at DB during last year’s draft, I think there does need to be some additional weight placed on drafting a CB early.

O.city
02-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Hey, you finally got something said before I did!

Good job.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ddHhhUBn25cuQ" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/ftw-coachs-ddHhhUBn25cuQ">via GIPHY</a></p>

htismaqe
02-04-2019, 04:44 PM
But you'd take a safety?

I mean ultimately Luke Keuchly would be every bit as impactful as Eric Berry, if not moreso. I think the EB vs. DJ debate is also pretty demonstrative.

Was Earl Thomas more important to Seattle than Bobby Wagner is? I don't think so and in fact I'd take Wagner over Earl without batting an eye. If I could add any single defensive player to this team, Bobby Wagner would be in my top 10 and maybe fringe top 5. Players like that make a HUGE difference on a defense.

I mean I understand if you say the pick needs to be used on a CB or WR or OT or a conventionally 'splashy' pick, but I don't see how you can advocate taking a safety but be opposed to taking a MLB. In terms of importance, they're equally valuable. Especially when you're talking about a 3-down type of MLB and not just a rotational player.

I agree - you don't take a rotational MLB in the 1st, but you don't take a box safety either. You have to compare apples to apples and if you say "yeah, I take this safety because he's a 3 down player" then I don't see how you can discount a MLB out of hand who also has the skills to be a 3-down backer.

I think there's a better chance of getting an every-down safety in the late 1st than getting an all around great LB.

Sure, Eric Berry was a high pick but there's a lot of good safeties that were taken later. By contrast, guys like Kuechly are almost exclusively top 15 picks. We'd have to trade up to get there and I don't like that idea at all when there's 2-3 top flight CBs would could hone in on.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 04:46 PM
Any chance the Seahwaks would trade us Wagner? He's fucking awesome.

He's going to be the most under-the-radar 1st ballot Hall of Famer in NFL history.

It floors me how little conversation he gets about not being among the best players in the NFL, but among the best to play his position in the history of the game.

When you get through that list you're gonna have the obvious top of the heap; Lewis, Seau, Singletary, Urlacher, Lambert and Nitschke. Then you have some guys like Zach Thomas, London Fletcher and Harry Carson - truly exceptional players and I think Wagner belongs in that group. Give him another 3-5 years like his average season through this point in his career and I think he'll be undeniably AHEAD of that group and will be edging into that Urlacher/Singletary territory.

Nobody's catching Ray Lewis but he murdered that guy so it is what it is.

TrebMaxx
02-04-2019, 04:46 PM
Any position as long as it's defense. CB #1 priority.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 04:56 PM
I think there's a better chance of getting an every-down safety in the late 1st than getting an all around great LB.

Sure, Eric Berry was a high pick but there's a lot of good safeties that were taken later. By contrast, guys like Kuechly are almost exclusively top 15 picks. We'd have to trade up to get there and I don't like that idea at all when there's 2-3 top flight CBs would could hone in on.

Are they?

I mean lets think over the last decade or so - Bowman, David Harris, LeVonte David, KJ Wright, the aforementioned Wagner, Sean Lee, Wesley Woodyard, Zach Brown, McKinney, Alonso, Kendricks....all taken in the 2nd round or later.

I just don't think that's right at all. You say Keuchly and I can give you Wagner. You want DJ, I'll give you Bowman. You want Mosely, I'll counter with David. I just think you're being a little dogmatic here based on facts that...aren't.

Just sayin' that I don't think it's wise to rule out MLB at all, especially not if you have a shot at the clear #1 MLB in the draft. Getting the pick of the litter means quite a bit, IMO. And White's a clear example of that.

And I don't think there are 'top flight' CBs anywhere in this draft. I'd be surprised if a single All-Pro comes out of this group. It's an inch deep and a mile wide to me. Hell, it may not be a mile wide.

O.city
02-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Are they?

I mean lets think over the last decade or so - Bowman, David Harris, LeVonte David, KJ Wright, the aforementioned Wagner, Sean Lee, Wesley Woodyard, Zach Brown, McKinney, Alonso, Kendricks....all taken in the 2nd round or later.

I just don't think that's right at all. You say Keuchly and I can give you Wagner. You want DJ, I'll give you Bowman. You want Mosely, I'll counter with David. I just think you're being a little dogmatic here based on facts that...aren't.

Just sayin' that I don't think it's wise to rule out MLB at all, especially not if you have a shot at the clear #1 MLB in the draft. Getting the pick of the litter means quite a bit, IMO. And White's a clear example of that.

And I don't think there are 'top flight' CBs anywhere in this draft. I'd be surprised if a single All-Pro comes out of this group. It's an inch deep and a mile wide to me. Hell, it may not be a mile wide.

Theres no way White falls to us, right? I mean, he's gonna got in the top 12ish picks. Surely.

BossChief
02-04-2019, 05:25 PM
That said, Hockensonwould be amazing in our offense.I'm leaning TE for the reasons I've stated in the draft lounge along with the depth of the top of the TE class being outstanding.

That’s what my thought was a few weeks back, but someone mentioned the lack of cost savings by drafting a TE in the first over signing one in free agency for cheap and that swayed my thoughts a bit.

If all things are equal talent wise, a CB would save the team at least 10m per year on a rookie deal over a FA.

Probably more cost effective to sign a FA TE and draft a CB that reverse.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 05:27 PM
Theres no way White falls to us, right? I mean, he's gonna got in the top 12ish picks. Surely.

If I'm putting money on it I'd say it's more likely that he goes top 10 than him falling into the 20s. But the mid-late teens aren't impossible and then he starts to get into trade up range. 29, 61 and our 6th can get us up near 17. If he's sitting there when Cleveland is on the clock, I'd definitely make a phonecall and get to working with anyone from that point on that will make the deal around our 1st and 2nd.

I just think he's going to maul the combine and he'll lock up that top 10 status. Guys with his size/speed don't come along often. Physically the guy is a prototype.

O.city
02-04-2019, 05:27 PM
That’s what my thought was a few weeks back, but someone mentioned the lack of cost savings by drafting a TE in the first over signing one in free agency for cheap and that swayed my thoughts a bit.

If all things are equal talent wise, a CB would save the team at least 10m per year on a rookie deal over a FA.

The Corner has to actually be a good player though. I don't know that you can't get a similar corner in round 2 that you can in round 1. I don't think that's the same for Tight end.

O.city
02-04-2019, 05:28 PM
If I'm putting money on it I'd say it's more likely that he goes top 10 than him falling into the 20s. But the mid-late teens aren't impossible and then he starts to get into trade up range. 29, 61 and our 6th can get us up near 17. If he's sitting there when Cleveland is on the clock, I'd definitely make a phonecall and get to working with anyone from that point on that will make the deal around our 1st and 2nd.

I'm not on trading up and giving up one of those 2nds. I guess if you have to you have to, but damn this team needs some youth infusion and for those picks to actually be good. Unlike recent 2nds.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 05:30 PM

But if the TE can help you in year 1 and the CB has a steeper learning curve, don't you make up the difference? Especially if the TE has Kelce's ceiling and the DB is more of a Sean Smith type as a solid #2.

I just don't think this is a good CB class.

GloryDayz
02-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Fans with better lasers.

saphojunkie
02-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Are they?

Blake Martinez - fourth round.

O.city
02-04-2019, 05:32 PM
But if the TE can help you in year 1 and the CB has a steeper learning curve, don't you make up the difference? Especially if the TE has Kelce's ceiling and the DB is more of a Sean Smith type as a solid #2.

I think it's a good, not great class. I'm admittedly terrible at gauging CB's so grain of salt and all, but it reads a little more "good player, develop into a possible great player, likely a solid player" CB draft.

One where a corner taken in round 2 or 3 is the best to come out of it.

saphojunkie
02-04-2019, 05:34 PM
If there's no shutdown corner in the draft, then attack it from the other direction - pressure up front.

If Houston, Berry, and Ford are all gone, I could easily see us going DL, DL, S with the first three picks.

BossChief
02-04-2019, 05:35 PM

To be honest, I know far less about the draft this year than years past.

I trust your evaluation and KNOW Hock and Kelce would rival Gronk Hernandez...minus the murders.

BossChief
02-04-2019, 05:39 PM
I think it's a good, not great class. I'm admittedly terrible at gauging CB's so grain of salt and all, but it reads a little more "good player, develop into a possible great player, likely a solid player" CB draft.

Average to above average corners and WRs get big money nowadays, though.

I think Nelson gets 10-12m per and there are 5-6 guys better than him in this draft. Based on scouting sites evals

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 05:40 PM

Yeah, I have to concede that I am god-awful at CBs as well. I was a huge fan of the Peters pick but I also liked KeiVarae Russell and Phillip Gaines.

I've actively avoided the CBs thread in the draft lounge because I finally decided that I am completely !@#$ing worthless at trying to identify them. Once Kristian Fulton decided to stay at LSU and I no longer had a 'guy' in this draft that I thought I was ahead of the curve on, I just kinda threw my hands up.

I just think we're hoping a little bit on the CBs in this class. Suddenly Baker is being seen as a 'top flight' guy when I just don't see it. I mean hell, there's an argument that the best version of Steven Nelson is probably about what Baker will be. I just don't see any universe where he's a guy we truly trust as a lock-down defender. His biggest strength is probably that he could step in and play pretty early, if not from day 1. He seems awfully advanced.

But I just hate using a 1st on a guy who's ceiling is merely solid.

Deberg_1990
02-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Best player available

Let the draft come to you.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2019, 05:44 PM
To be honest, I know far less about the draft this year than years past.

I trust your evaluation and KNOW Hock and Kelce would rival Gronk Hernandez...minus the murders.

I love Hockenson, man. The problem is that I think a LOT of war rooms will as well. That kids gonna rocket up draft boards. I think he could easily be the 1st TE off the board and while the Rams and Saints may have convinced teams that they can be elite offenses without much help from the TE position, I don't think it's likely that he'll fall that far. And as much as I salivate at the idea of him, I can't justify using a 2nd to move up to get him in the same way I can with White at MLB.

My hope is that the fascination with the spread gets him knocked as more of an old-school model and teams won't view him as a true #1 guy. I think that's underrating him badly, first off and second off I think he's just a perfect complement to what we have precisely BECAUSE of how strong he is in-line.

I'm hard pressed to come up with any player that will be taken in this draft that would be a better fit for our offense than Hock will.

O.city
02-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I have to concede that I am god-awful at CBs as well. I was a huge fan of the Peters pick but I also liked KeiVarae Russell and Phillip Gaines.

I've actively avoided the CBs thread in the draft lounge because I finally decided that I am completely !@#$ing worthless at trying to identify them. Once Kristian Fulton decided to stay at LSU and I no longer had a 'guy' in this draft that I thought I was ahead of the curve on, I just kinda threw my hands up.

I just think we're hoping a little bit on the CBs in this class. Suddenly Baker is being seen as a 'top flight' guy when I just don't see it. I mean hell, there's an argument that the best version of Steven Nelson is probably about what Baker will be. I just don't see any universe where he's a guy we truly trust as a lock-down defender. His biggest strength is probably that he could step in and play pretty early, if not from day 1. He seems awfully advanced.

But I just hate using a 1st on a guy who's ceiling is merely solid.

I think them kinda become the breaks when you're at the ass end of the first round unless you want to go looking for guys that have wild swings with floor and ceiling.

It sucks if that's the way it breaks but I just don't know that they'll look at a corner early there. For some reason it just doesn't seem like a Veach thing there, based on the little evidence we have. Even moreso an Andy thing.

I'm a little worried they'll see this as a push in year and end up trading a bunch of these early picks for some players on big deals already or something.

T-post Tom
02-04-2019, 05:57 PM
CB on a 5 yr rookie contract. Top prospects include:

Greedy Williams, CB, LSU.
Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia.
Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama.
Byron Murphy, CB, Washington.
Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson.
Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State.
Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame.

Can't get on-board with taking a TE with the first pick. Not under any scenario.

staylor26
02-04-2019, 05:59 PM

I love this idea on the surface, but sell me that the D can still get significantly better without using a 1st on that side of the ball.

Rain Man
02-04-2019, 06:02 PM
I love this idea on the surface, but sell me that the D can still get significantly better without using a 1st on that side of the ball.

Sutton is gone.

(Drops mic, walks off stage.)

St. Patty's Fire
02-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Personally, I'd rather draft a solid starter on defense than a stud TE with out first pick. I just can't justify it when we already have the best TE and our defense is so ghastly.

Now, I totally agree that another TE should be up there on the list of priorities. I would just have it at like, four or five. We wanna use a 3rd or 4th rounder on a TE? Go for it. Honestly, though, I'd probably look at FA for a backup TE, there are some solid options there.

T-post Tom
02-04-2019, 06:05 PM
https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/004/333/631/e99bd9125e17ae58070d396bd267029d_crop_exact.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

Defense. Defense. Defense.

General manager Brett Veach and head coach Andy Reid should have one thing on their minds this offseason.

The Chiefs have an offense that can score on anyone but a defense that allows too many leads to disappear. Scoring 40 points should ensure a victory, but for the Chiefs in 2018, it didn't. That's why Veach and Co. must identify starting-caliber defenders and load up with their three picks in the first two rounds.

Georgia cornerback Deandre Baker is a dream fit in new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's scheme. He's physical at the line of scrimmage, a willing tackler in the run game, and has the size and enough speed to handle receivers in man or zone coverage.

He might not run a low 4.4 at the combine, but Baker makes up for it with his length and awareness.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818393-2019-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-super-bowl-predictions#slide29

St. Patty's Fire
02-04-2019, 06:06 PM
^Yeah, Baker is probably the guy I like the most for our pick right now, fits our needs perfectly

Just hope he'll be there at 29

BWillie
02-04-2019, 06:08 PM
WIDE RECEIVER BABY

Lets score as much as possible.

The defense sucks, it sucks. We have tons of talented guys on defense, and they still suck. If Belichick had this defense, it would be Top 10.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-04-2019, 06:09 PM
I voted ILB . we need to solidify that front 7 to stop this run game crap. Of course our biggest need on defense has already been addressed in Hiring a new DC.

Also I think we need to continually address the OL in the first 3 rounds Every single year. The Patriots build from the trenches, they seem to have a pretty good plan.

chinaski
02-04-2019, 06:13 PM
I dunno, Chiefs seem to be pretty good at picking up TE's and RB's in the later rounds. I really think we should be utilizing our 1st and 2nd rounders on defense, unless they can sign a veteran in FA or something.

Chief Roundup
02-04-2019, 06:33 PM
I voted ILB . we need to solidify that front 7 to stop this run game crap. Of course our biggest need on defense has already been addressed in Hiring a new DC.

Also I think we need to continually address the OL in the first 3 rounds Every single year. The Patriots build from the trenches, they seem to have a pretty good plan.

With Fuller, Ward and Smith as our only corners we need to invest at least a couple of picks hopefully both fairly early.

BossChief
02-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Personally, I'd rather draft a solid starter on defense than a stud TE with out first pick. I just can't justify it when we already have the best TE and our defense is so ghastly.

Now, I totally agree that another TE should be up there on the list of priorities. I would just have it at like, four or five. We wanna use a 3rd or 4th rounder on a TE? Go for it. Honestly, though, I'd probably look at FA for a backup TE, there are some solid options there.

Teams are going to have all offseason to evaluate how to make MVPat uncomfortable and to keep him in the pocket.

They also will do what lots of teams did this year to slow him...drop everyone back and make him beat you with a thousand cuts instead of cutting your head clean off. That’s where guys like Watkins, Kelce and Hock would make it impossible to do that to us. Hock (or in FA the kid from the Steelers, as a decent option) would also provide what Kelce doesn’t...a powerful in line blocker that can disrupt opposing pass rushes.

This offseason is about improving the middle of the defense and adding weapons for big counter punches for Pat to use when teams try to make him uncomfortable.

Jmo

Chief Northman
02-04-2019, 06:39 PM
Corner, LB. Edge if Ford or Houston are moved.

ChiefsCountry
02-04-2019, 06:44 PM
BPA outside of QB.

Bowser
02-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Round 1 - Corner
Round 2a - MLB
Round 2b - Safety
Round 3 - Corner/Safety

After that, start throwing picks at the offensive line and get Mahomes some serious protection up front.

ILChief
02-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Corner. Let Nelson walk. Fuller, 1st rounder and Ward. I still draft another CB later or sign one

Coogs
02-04-2019, 08:11 PM
WIDE RECEIVER BABY

Lets score as much as possible.

The defense sucks, it sucks. We have tons of talented guys on defense, and they still suck. If Belichick had this defense, it would be Top 10.

The Lions tried this once a few years back. The Colts did a similar thing after drafting Luck. Neither one was real successful.

bigbucks24
02-04-2019, 10:46 PM
I voted safety, but there's a part of me that wants to build a wall on offense by drafting a high-floor, high-ceiling stud center or guard. It'll protect us from disaster, and if you give Patrick more time in a clean pocket...zowie.

Can the Chiefs build a wall and get the Raiders to fay for it?

MMXcalibur
02-04-2019, 10:47 PM
No choice for long-snapper?
What a bunch of shit.

htismaqe
02-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Are they?

Out of that list, David, Wagner, and Alonso are comparable somewhat. The rest of those guys, including Navarro Bowman, are good but not GREAT. Furthermore, they're EXACTLY the type of guy you target in the 2nd.

Granted, after the first few, I don't know a whole lot about the inside linebackers. I could go for Devin Bush but that's about it. Gimme a safety or a corner with the 1st pick, that's the biggest need on this team.

GermanChief
02-04-2019, 11:47 PM
I think the Chiefs wanted to sign Earl Thomas before he was injured. How great is the chance the Chiefs are still interested to sign him? It would save a draft pick for other positions.

gonefishin53
02-05-2019, 12:01 AM
I vote for best defensive player available with every pick in the first 3 rounds. In the first round, I'd pick the player who is closest in potential to Reggie White or the player closest in potential to Deion Sanders because those positions have the most affect on the quick passing game imo.

DeepSouth
02-05-2019, 08:05 AM
I'm a firm believer the games are won in the trenches. With the Chiefs switching to a 4 - 3, they need more beef in the middle of the defensive line. If I'm the defensive coordinator, this is the front four I'd want opposing QB's to see

Chris Jones, Jeffery Simmons, Derrick Nnadi, Breeland Speaks

Jeffery Simmons is coming out of Mississippi State. The same school Chris Jones is from. With that much beef on the line, you could play 223 lb Dorian O'Daniel at LB behind Jones.

bevischief
02-05-2019, 08:07 AM
BPA. Then needs to get this team to a SB.

oldman
02-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Round 1 - Corner
Round 2a - MLB
Round 2b - Safety
Round 3 - Corner/Safety

After that, start throwing picks at the offensive line and get Mahomes some serious protection up front.

After a good night's sleep, I think this is the right priority. Fuller and Ward may be our starters, but we have serious drek after that.

staylor26
02-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Playing around with On The Clock and I definitely feel like we can afford to go TE first if that’s BPA. We have to go all defense on day 2 though.

oldman
02-05-2019, 09:47 AM
I just don't think investing a #1 in a TE is wise right now. I realize there's not much behind Kelce, but I think there's TE value in rounds 4-5. When St. Agnes School for Refined Ladies probably has a better defense than the Chiefs, Veach needs to do something.

O.city
02-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Playing around with On The Clock and I definitely feel like we can afford to go TE first if that’s BPA. We have to go all defense on day 2 though.

My thought process is changing a little in terms of all defense simply because we just aren't sure what they have on d now in terms of the current roster with a new staff. I don't know if all these guys suck as bad as they showed.

htismaqe
02-05-2019, 09:48 AM
I just don't think investing a #1 in a TE is wise right now. I realize there's not much behind Kelce, but I think there's TE value in rounds 4-5.

There may be value in the later rounds but in this draft, there's game-changing talent that might be available in the late first. Could you imagine having TWO Kelce's on this team?

DJ's left nut
02-05-2019, 09:50 AM
I do think it's funny how many people are saying CB because we need to move on from Nelson and Nelson sucks.

To that crew - folks, the odds of Baker coming in and being better than Steven Nelson: 4 year NFL veteran - are pretty damn remote. Baker is NOT an excellent athlete and in many ways Nelson is more athletic than him. Moreover, Baker's not a ton bigger than Nelson; only an inch taller though he does have long arms. He is more fluid in his backpeddle and there's no question that his ceiling is higher because of increased agility, but he's still going to be a rookie. He plays a very similar style to Nelson in that very physical mold and it took Nelson years to get to committing fewer penalties.

Now personally I DON'T think Nelson sucked, thread be damned. I think he's a credible NFL CB and that if Baker us his length and better footwork to make up for the lack of experience he'll have on Nelson, he can be roughly as good as Nelson was last season. But if your justification for taking Baker is that he's this obvious upgrade on what we had last season - explain to me why you think that is so.

I don't really want to sound like I'm anti Deandre Baker - I'm not. He's a very solid, very defensible pick and I won't be upset if we take him. It maybe isn't what I'd do, but that doesn't mean it's a bad decision ala Tyson Jackson.

That said, if guys like Williams, Baker and Murphy are gone (a distinct possibility), the "Take a CB in the first!" crowd had better not just start calling for Julian Love or something. Trayvon Mullen is even a bit of a reach, IMO.

They can't fuck this pick up chasing need.

htismaqe
02-05-2019, 09:54 AM
I do think it's funny how many people are saying CB because we need to move on from Nelson and Nelson sucks.

Nelson has stiff hips and TERRIBLE ball awareness. Baker is much more fluid and actually knows how to look for the ball instead of grabbing the WR. Baker, physically, might not be an upgrade right away but mentally, he would be instantly better. One less 40-yard penalty a game would be a huge deal.

They can't fuck this pick up chasing need.

This is true.

O.city
02-05-2019, 09:54 AM
I don't think Veach is a need kinda guy, and he's getting his orders from Andy who doesn't necessarily seem to be either.

With Andy's talk to Spags about thinking its somewhat SB or bust next year, they're gonna look for plug and play guys in free agency and the draft me thinks.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2019, 09:55 AM
My thought process is changing a little in terms of all defense simply because we just aren't sure what they have on d now in terms of the current roster with a new staff. I don't know if all these guys suck as bad as they showed.

That's really the problem here.

The 2017 defense sucked, right? So we tried to isolate variables and throw draft, FA and trade capital at the problem while keeping the coaching staff intact. Well it turns out the defense still sucked and if you go with another 'all defense' draft, well you never really found out for sure if it was a talent problem to begin with. You fired your coach because you were pretty certain scheme was a BIG part of the problem.

So to just damn the torpedoes and blast away at defense again seems like you're not doing enough to truly root-source the problem and instead you're just hurling resources at it.

IF it was truly a coaching problem, and the fact that the defense got even worse despite healthier versions of Ford/Houston and a better version of Jones, not to mention Fuller being an adequate replacement for Peters while Nelson played significantly better than he did the year before....well damn, even if you assume that Hitchens wasn't an upgrade on the corpse of DJ (I don't), it's pretty difficult to say that the talent on this squad wasn't much improved over last season's and yet the defense still got worse.

If that's the case and you think you've fixed your coaching problem, there's just no cause to reach for defensive picks. Take the best guys, even if they're on offense. And with the way the top of this round is looking, that could really be the case.

O.city
02-05-2019, 09:58 AM

The 2017 defense sucked, right? So we tried to isolate variables and throw draft, FA and trade capital at the problem while keeping the coaching staff intact. Well it turns out the defense still sucked and if you go with another 'all defense' draft, well you never really found out for sure if it was a talent problem to begin with. You fired your coach because you were pretty certain scheme was a BIG part of the problem.

So to just damn the torpedoes and blast away at defense again seems like you're not doing enough to truly root-source the problem and instead you're just hurling resources at it.

IF it was truly a coaching problem, and the fact that the defense got even worse despite healthier versions of Ford/Houston and a better version of Jones, not to mention Fuller being an adequate replacement for Peters while Nelson played significantly better than he did the year before....well damn, even if you assume that Hitchens wasn't an upgrade on the corpse of DJ (I don't), it's pretty difficult to say that the talent on this squad wasn't much improved over last season's and yet the defense still got worse.

If that's the case and you think you've fixed your coaching problem, there's just no cause to reach for defensive picks. Take the best guys, even if they're on offense. And with the way the top of this round is looking, that could really be the case.

It's just so early to read the draft yet. We haven't had the combine or any pro days or free agency or anything yet.

With the way the league has been about offense, I'm gonna guess these offensive players fly off the board earlier than normal. I don't know which ones or where, but that's my feeling thus far.

So with that being the case, the Chiefs could sit in a decent spot where a guy that may go late teens early 20's, drops.

htismaqe
02-05-2019, 10:03 AM

It's a very valid point.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Nelson has stiff hips and TERRIBLE ball awareness. Baker is much more fluid and actually knows how to look for the ball instead of grabbing the WR. Baker, physically, might not be an upgrade right away but mentally, he would be instantly better. One less 40-yard penalty a game would be a huge deal.

Oh C'mon - Nelson had 7 DPI or Holding penalties assessed against him all season. And for as much man as he was playing, that's not that bad. It's more than you'd like but it's still .5 penalty per game.

Let's assume that Baker's better, he's still gonna have 4-5. Marshon Lattimore, a better prospect than Baker by virtually any measure, had 7 as a rookie. Fitzpatrick was probably the best DB from this year's class and he had 7. Patrick Peterson had 7 as a rookie. DBs commit penalties, man -- if you're expecting significant improvement there, be prepared to be disappointed. Especially since Baker's long-speed is below average and he's always been a physical defender.

Any penalty difference here is likely to be nominal unless Spags has them playing a lot more zone. And if he does, we shouldn't be using a 1st on a CB. If he's playing Baker in man, Bakers average athleticism and tendency towards being physical is going to make penalties every bit as much of an issue as they were for Nelson. He may save a couple over Nelson over the course of 16 games by getting his head around, but let's also not forget that the WRs are a lot better at this level at not giving away when the ball is coming and frankly by the time they do, the ball is usually there. It's a hell of a lot harder to locate the ball in the NFL than college - you can't just assume a 1-1 translation on the skill.

oldman
02-05-2019, 10:12 AM
I'm not in the "Nelson sucked" camp as much as I am in the "do we want to pay him?". Nor am I suggesting we throw all of our picks to Spags. What do we have at CB besides Fuller and Ward? Smith? I think that boat has sailed.

RunKC
02-05-2019, 10:18 AM

I guess this would really depend on how Spags feels about the young investments he has to work with.

Can Speaks be productive in this scheme?
Can Kpassagnon be productive in this scheme?
Can we rely on Watts, Murray, Ward and Lucas to be decent contributors?

I keep going back to the AFCCG. We had enough talent to win. It was the goddamn scheme that made no sense at all. It makes me feel better that Spags has more creativity and likes making things simple so young guys can get on the field.

Goddamnit DJ you lure me into this shit with your damn reasoning. I would be fine taking a TE at 29. We have invested a shit ton into the defense recently.

And for as much shit as Veach gets about Speaks, I really liked the Nnandi, Fuller, Lucas, O’Daniel and Ward additions. It won’t matter if we take a TE in the first rd if Veach keeps finding value players that perform at a decent level on defense.

O.city
02-05-2019, 10:18 AM
If you're wanting a ready made Corner that's going to play at a vet level, I don't know if that guy will be available where we pick or if he's even in this draft.

If it came down to it and the Jags or the Cards called you up and said they'd give you Ramsey or Peterson for that pick and next years 2nd, man, i'd be tough pressed to not do that.

saphojunkie
02-05-2019, 12:07 PM
If we go offense in the first, it better be a lineman. Protecting Pat is job #1.

Buckweath
02-05-2019, 12:17 PM
If you're wanting a ready made Corner that's going to play at a vet level, I don't know if that guy will be available where we pick or if he's even in this draft.

If it came down to it and the Jags or the Cards called you up and said they'd give you Ramsey or Peterson for that pick and next years 2nd, man, i'd be tough pressed to not do that.

Forget Ramsey. No chance Veach is trading for him.

Peterson would be great but the Cards might be demanding too much.

BlackOp
02-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Can the Chiefs draft an official? They could build an all-star crew...

Rasputin
02-05-2019, 12:30 PM
By need

CB
Safety
LB
RB

I don't like this. You can fill a need with a FA even though i don't like Free Agents because they are far from free and be expensive I also believe in building Championships through the draft so best player available that can push the starters out of the way that aren't getting the job done.

Just because we have a cough quote Pro Bowl Left Tackle quote doesn't mean we shouldn't find an upgrade in the draft for that position and I'm not saying draft a LT just an example unless he is the BPA.

GloryDayz
02-05-2019, 12:35 PM
If we go offense in the first, it better be a lineman. Protecting Pat is job #1.

100% agree. And, unless we lose some serious firepower on the O side, other than another for-real TE, I'd say it's all O-line (after fixing the D). Pat's gotta only run when he wants to, or designed to, not because he's running for his life...

comochiefsfan
02-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Defense would make the most sense.

It would be damn fun to give Pat another weapon to work with though.

Rain Man
02-05-2019, 02:09 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one tempted by an offensive lineman. But given the nature of guards and centers, and the fact that we have two (abysmally low) second-round picks, I bet we can still get a very good prospect there who could conceivably be a Day One starter.

I really like the fact that our biggest needs are in areas of lower positional value (other than cornerback). If you have a late first-round pick, you can still get a really good prospect at S, ILB, G, or C.

tyton75
02-05-2019, 02:23 PM
If the value isn't there for a CB or a Safety, then go Center or TE

Pitt Gorilla
02-05-2019, 02:34 PM
BPA.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2019, 02:36 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one tempted by an offensive lineman. But given the nature of guards and centers, and the fact that we have two (abysmally low) second-round picks, I bet we can still get a very good prospect there who could conceivably be a Day One starter.

I really like the fact that our biggest needs are in areas of lower positional value (other than cornerback). If you have a late first-round pick, you can still get a really good prospect at S, ILB, G, or C.

If Cody Ford were sitting there for us I could be talked into considering him for the OL.

Played RT at Oklahoma but is just a freak of an athlete. Incredible agility and can stick at T at the next level. That said, he'd be a Quentin Nelson type of do-anything guard.

Personally, I'd be hard pressed to take a G given how well Andy has managed to work around the troubles at the position. And in a cap league with a lot of good young players, you're going to have to make due with a 'value' starter in a few spots - seems like we're capable of doing that on the interior OL.

But I'd still consider it for Cody Ford - just a really exciting OL prospect.

GloryDayz
02-05-2019, 02:56 PM

I'm seriously hoping, and all y'all know I'm the King of Optimism (!!!), is that some kickass FAs might want to play here because, well, they know that with a few patched holes and some released dead weight, they could be playing in Miami next February. You know that NE attracts a lot of talent because they know they have a more-than-good chance of playing in SBs. From one of the leagues least difficult schedules annually (their division games are usually formality gimmies), to an owner/HC/QB that are the league's leadership's and official's darlings, it's hard to turn down a job in NE if you want a ring.

So maybe, just maybe, we see some rather surprising FA signings too.

Dunerdr
02-05-2019, 03:07 PM
the reality is we arent good enough at any position but qb, and wr to not take a solid value where we are on the draft board. in a crazy turn of events id jimp if we could secure a a top 10 in the league for years to come guard.

Chief Roundup
02-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Round 1 - Corner/DL
Round 2a - DL/Corner
Round 2b - LB/Corner
Round 3 - Corner/LB

It would be nice to come away with a starter for DE, LB and 2 CBs in the first 4.

staylor26
02-05-2019, 06:20 PM
It would be nice to come away with a starter for DE, LB and 2 CBs in the first 4.

Trade out one of those corners for a safety and I’d say it’s perfect.

Chief Roundup
02-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Trade out one of those corners for a safety and I’d say it’s perfect.

With Berry, Sorenson, Lucas, Watts and Murray I have a feeling that if we go after one it will be later in the draft similar to last year. It would probably be a box safety since that is one of the things that Spags is known to want and I don't know who we have that would play that role if Berry is not ready.

staylor26
02-05-2019, 06:39 PM
With Berry, Sorenson, Lucas, Watts and Murray I have a feeling that if we go after one it will be later in the draft similar to last year. It would probably be a box safety since that is one of the things that Spags is known to want and I don't know who we have that would play that role if Berry is not ready.

Yea I’m not counting on Eric fucking Berry again and Sorenson is probably going to be cut.

There’s a good chance we have 2 holes there week 1 with that group.

Chiefaholic
02-05-2019, 06:55 PM
A BIG run stuffing, interior pocket collapsing DT. THAT'S how you beat Brady and the Patriots. Donald and Suh did their job, they just lacked the Mahomes factor in taking down the old man.

Buckweath
02-05-2019, 08:48 PM
Veach is signing a safety FA for sure.

Bowser
02-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Veach is signing a safety FA for sure.

If Veach and the team is convinced they can get Earl Thomas and he will contribute, then I immediately will change my vote to TE in the first. DJ talked me into it, although it's still going to feel like a luxury pick taking our defense into account.

chiefzilla1501
02-05-2019, 09:32 PM
Regardless of what you think about spagnuolo, he has proven to be great at grooming young DB's. Be shocked if we didn't take one in the first 2 rounds.

Buckweath
02-05-2019, 10:09 PM
Do people really think the Chiefs might go for a TE in the 1st round? There is literally zero chance. Zero.

Bowser
02-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Do people really think the Chiefs might go for a TE in the 1st round? There is literally zero chance. Zero.

Probably about a 5% chance. But DJ's logic is solid. Solid enough, anyway.

BlackOp
02-05-2019, 10:52 PM

Depends on how this draft plays out...KC is going to be an offensive driven team with Mahomes. Kelce is a BIG part of that...he goes down then what?

If the Chiefs think one of the two Iowa TE's is the top player available, I'm OK with it. They literally have no depth there..adding another TE threat would be entertaining to watch with AR.

You have to get the best talent in round one...

chiefzilla1501
02-05-2019, 10:52 PM
If Veach and the team is convinced they can get Earl Thomas and he will contribute, then I immediately will change my vote to TE in the first. DJ talked me into it, although it's still going to feel like a luxury pick taking our defense into account.

I still think there are several veterans who will get us what we need at a low cost. I mean... how much do we really think a Jesse James is going to cost? Do we really need anyone better than that?

Nickhead
02-06-2019, 02:26 AM
i stay away from thomas unless there are team friendly guarantees. two broken legs on the same leg scares me more than the hagland formation. :thumb:

IA_Chiefs_fan
02-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Mahomes is the franchise. Protect him with the best o-line we can assemble. We can still possibly win it all with a 20-25th ranked defense but we sure as shit ain't winning without Mahomes.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Yea I’m not counting on Eric fucking Berry again and Sorenson is probably going to be cut.

There’s a good chance we have 2 holes there week 1 with that group.

Yep.

GloryDayz
02-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Mahomes is the franchise. Protect him with the best o-line we can assemble. We can still possibly win it all with a 20-25th ranked defense but we sure as shit ain't winning without Mahomes.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyup!

O.city
02-06-2019, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't have a problem taking a guard at 29. It wouldn't be exciting, but I don't need exciting.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't have a problem taking a guard at 29. It wouldn't be exciting, but I don't need exciting.

The only reason it's really even a question is because of LDT.

If he's healthy, do they really need to invest that kind of capital in the line? You can get linemen other places.

O.city
02-06-2019, 12:14 PM
The only reason it's really even a question is because of LDT.

If he's healthy, do they really need to invest that kind of capital in the line? You can get linemen other places.

Depends.

Morse is looking to be gone, so they'll need a new center and Erving is a little meh, but he was a first rounder so not all first rounders are great I guess.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Depends.

Morse is looking to be gone, so they'll need a new center and Erving is a little meh, but he was a first rounder so not all first rounders are great I guess.

I'm fine with Erving and LDT, it's center that concerns me. I know next to nothing about the centers coming out in this draft but I can't imagine there will be a lot of centers projected in the first round.

Seems like with 2 picks at the end of the 2nd, that's the spot to look for a center.

O.city
02-06-2019, 12:17 PM
I'm fine with Erving and LDT, it's center that concerns me. I know next to nothing about the centers coming out in this draft but I can't imagine there will be a lot of centers projected in the first round.

Seems like with 2 picks at the end of the 2nd, that's the spot to look for a center.

That's what I'd do.
They must like McKenzie as they kept him around all year for something.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 12:18 PM
That's what I'd do.
They must like McKenzie as they kept him around all year for something.

He'll eventually play guard I imagine. He's got the size and build for it anyway. I just can't see him starting day 1 after having never played offense before.

Buckweath
02-06-2019, 12:19 PM

I want a center with a 2nd round pick or OL later in the draft.

Pick 29 is going to the defense all the way.

If Veach is a good GM, he has to show me he can get good starting guards and centers in the middle rounds.

O.city
02-06-2019, 12:19 PM
He'll eventually play guard I imagine. He's got the size and build for it anyway. I just can't see him starting day 1 after having never played offense before.

That was my issue with it. You can move Erving to C, I wouldn't, but he could do it.

I wonder if they just slide Reiter to C, keep Erving at G and let Mckenzie be the backup this season.

Rain Man
02-06-2019, 12:22 PM

I'm in this camp at the moment as well.

O.city
02-06-2019, 12:23 PM
I want a center with a 2nd round pick or OL later in the draft.

Pick 29 is going to the defense all the way.

If Veach is a good GM, he has to show me he can get good starting guards and centers in the middle rounds.

Ideally, yeah. They've made it happen that way with G's and C's for a while so i'd keep doing that, but if there is an all pro type G sitting there at 29, take him and move on.

Buckweath
02-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Ideally, yeah. They've made it happen that way with G's and C's for a while so i'd keep doing that, but if there is an all pro type G sitting there at 29, take him and move on.

Maybe in 2020 but not this year.

Veach is going to go heavy on the defense and it starts with a defensive player in the 1st round.

This is the one offseason this team is going all in to win next year's SB.

I have told of the importance to continually invest in the OL to protect Mahomes but seriously, you just had one of the very best offense in the history of the game and a defense who was poor for the most part and prevented you from winning a SB, there is no way you can justify grabbing an offensive player in the 1st round, barring an exceptional situation.

In58men
02-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Feels great not to see QB @ 90%

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Feels great not to see QB @ 90%

:clap::clap::clap:

CoMoChief
02-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Safety and LB are the biggest needs.

Devin Bush would be the shit.

RunKC
02-07-2019, 11:38 AM
:hmmm:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">VEACH: I don’t think we’re going to go into the draft with the idea of just drafting defense; we’re going to go after the best players available.</p>&mdash; Soren Petro (@SorenPetro) <a href="https://twitter.com/SorenPetro/status/1093551581335875594?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 7, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GloryDayz
02-07-2019, 11:40 AM
:hmmm:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">VEACH: I don’t think we’re going to go into the draft with the idea of just drafting defense; we’re going to go after the best players available.</p>&mdash; Soren Petro (@SorenPetro) <a href="https://twitter.com/SorenPetro/status/1093551581335875594?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 7, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How original...

suzzer99
02-07-2019, 12:58 PM
So if a QB is the best player available in the first round, I guess we have to take him. It'll be good for Mahomes to have some competition in camp.

Rain Man
02-07-2019, 01:00 PM
So if a QB is the best player available in the first round, I guess we have to take him. It'll be good for Mahomes to have some competition in camp.

It's the logical approach. No one's job is guaranteed.

suzzer99
02-07-2019, 01:16 PM
QB, punter, long-snapper feels right for the first 3 rounds.

Dayze
02-07-2019, 01:24 PM
BPA speak from GMs is largely BS IMO.
it's just their way of being able to avoid addressing the elephant in the room with the defense and when they don't address it, they'll spout some BS like "well, we had such and such offensive player rated higher on our board".

I do, however, think we need to address the interior OL. as much as I like Pat hitting his hitch in his drop back, then bailing out of the pocked because defenders are in his face, and throwing darts...it would be nice to be able to possibly see a clean pocket more often than not.
oh, and bonus...find some interior OL that aren't perplexed by DL games/twists/stunts and get smoked across their face.

OL, LB and Safety are the positions I would like to see them focus on. not necessarily in that order. If they want to go BPA framed around those positions, cool. But BPA overall/any round.....worries me. particularly with the results on the field from last years draft. Or, OL and LB as the draft focus to find players who can contribute early and try to improve at Safety via FA etc.
I think it largely depends on what they're going to do with Houston and/or Ford and if/how they fit in to 4-3 ends that will dictate if they draft an end or LB.

Buckweath
02-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Do people not know that the BPA approach always takes needs into consideration when selecting a player?

BPA and need are not mutually exclusive.

There is no such thing as pure BPA without even considering the needs.

You can draft a player for which you have no real need at the position but that doesn't mean you didn't consider your needs as part of the evaluation. It just means basically that the player is too good to pass up.

The rumors of the Seahawks being interested in drafting Mahomes despite having Russell Wilson is a good example of that.

RunKC
02-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Actually might lean towards DE here. Just can’t see us spending huge money on a DE in free agency. I think Ford is only here 1 more year.

Veach clearly wants to have waves of pass rushers since the offense will have leads. With Houston likely leaving, I think we could see another pass rusher at 29 to take over for Ford in 2020, but be a rotational player in 2019.

Like what the Eagles did with Derek Barnett 2 years ago.

Buckweath
02-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Actually might lean towards DE here. Just can’t see us spending huge money on a DE in free agency. I think Ford is only here 1 more year.

Veach clearly wants to have waves of pass rushers since the offense will have leads. With Houston likely leaving, I think we could see another pass rusher at 29 to take over for Ford in 2020, but be a rotational player in 2019.

Like what the Eagles did with Derek Barnett 2 years ago.

No. Next year maybe. Unlikely but I could see a DT with pass-rush ability in the 1st round though.

Chiefs already have Ford, Speaks and Kpassagnon for next year at the DE position + maybe Houston.

You need to figure out what you have in Speaks and Kpassagnon before spending a 1st round pick at the position and especially with such glaring needs in the secondary.

Dunerdr
02-07-2019, 06:34 PM
No. Next year maybe. Unlikely but I could see a DT with pass-rush ability in the 1st round though.

Chiefs already have Ford, Speaks and Kpassagnon for next year at the DE position + maybe Houston.

You need to figure out what you have in Speaks and Kpassagnon before spending a 1st round pick at the position and especially with such glaring needs in the secondary.
they dont already know what they have in nnadi and jones?

Buckweath
02-07-2019, 07:07 PM
they dont already know what they have in nnadi and jones?

To be honest, I really don't see DL for the 1st round pick. They have used many rather high draft picks recently on the DL.