PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Looks like some in the Detroit Media want K. Hunt

chop
02-05-2019, 10:14 PM
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/02/05/detroit-lions-kareem-hunt-morality/2780147002/

Jamie Samuelsen, co-host of the "Jamie and Stoney" show at 6 a.m. weekdays on WXYT-FM (97.1), blogs for freep.com. His opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the Detroit Free Press nor its writers. You can reach him at jamsam22@gmail.com and follow him on Twitter @jamiesamuelsen.

The Detroit Lions seemingly have a need for a second running back to pair with Kerryon Johnson. How should they go about the Kareem Hunt situation?

We all think that we can be a general manager or a head coach or an offensive coordinator. It’s easy to sit on our couches and wonder why Michigan isn’t more aggressive on offense or why MSU doesn’t hire a new play caller or why the Lions drafted that guy when they could have drafted that other guy.

It’s the issues of up or down, yes or no, in or out that are easy to judge from afar. But when the issues get a but more gray, it’s a lot harder to know what to do.

It’s easy to stay on the moral high ground when you’re watching from the side. It’s decidedly harder when you’re competing against 31 other teams that might be more willing to swim in the deeper end of the pool. Nobody condones Kareem Hunt's physical assault against a woman in the video that surfaced in December. The images were so raw that the Chiefs terminated his contract within hours of the video’s release.

If Hunt were five years older and his effectiveness was dwindling, he’d be out of the league for good. But Hunt, 23, was just finishing his second season, so a future clearly remains in the NFL.

NFL: Kansas City Chiefs at Denver Broncos
Dec 31, 2017; Denver, CO, USA; Kansas City Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt (27) before the game against the Denver Broncos at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Mandatory Credit: Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports (Photo: Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports)

Bears head coach Matt Nagy pushed this agenda forward last month when he said that he believed in second chances and wouldn’t rule out the Bears pursuing Hunt in the off-season. Nagy was the offensive coordinator in Kansas City prior to getting the Bears head coaching job, so this news isn’t shocking. But Nagy just finished his first year, so it’s a pretty bold stroke to put that out there, unless of course he has the blessing of management or ownership.

Nagy is 100 percent right about one thing: Nothing should be ruled out. This holds true for the Bears, the Lions and any other team in the NFL. If you start making determinations about players before you even investigate their cases further, you’re shortchanging yourself.

It’s like major college recruiting. If Princeton is going up against Alabama for a 5-star player, Alabama has the edge in every way. Not only are they a better program, but they also have lower standards for admission and they can offer full athletic scholarships. Princeton isn’t on equal footing with Alabama therefore will never compete with them.

The Lions are on equal footing with the Patriots, the Rams, the Bears and every other team in the NFL, even if their history doesn’t show it. They abide by the same rules, the same salary cap and the same standards. If the Lions choose to sign only a certain type of player and steer clear of any possible character issues, they won’t stand a chance to move into the upper echelon of the league.

I have no idea what Bob Quinn thinks of Kareem Hunt. I do know that Quinn said the day he was hired in 2016 that he’d have a zero-tolerance policy against players involved in domestic violence cases or a dangerous weapons offense. Later that summer, he signed tight end Andrew Quarless, who was arrested in 2015 after he reportedly fired a gun into the air outside a nightclub after an altercation with a woman. Quinn later admitted that he never should have used the term “zero-tolerance,” and I respect him for his retraction. This is the NFL, not Harvard Law School. You are looking for the best players, not the best of the best. And yes, there is a difference.

I’d have a hard time with the Lions making a move for Hunt for all the obvious moral. But I also know that when you’re filling a 53-man roster with professional football players, you’re not going to do so entirely with choir boys. There will be some bad seeds. Some of their warts will be public. Some will be hidden. Some might become public at an inopportune time for the team.

Some of you will dismiss this as a clear double standard. You wouldn’t allow Hunt to date your daughter, so why would you want him on your football team? If that’s your take, I can’t say that you’re wrong. But I’d also say good luck totally embracing the NFL because you’re going to be rooting for a lot of different players that you might not want dating your daughters.

Quinn gets paid a lot of money for his job and feels a lot of pressure to get things done, especially coming off of two seasons that ended without a playoff berth. I don’t feel sorry for him because he knew what this job was all about when he took it. Just understand that as he looks to push this team up, he may have to take some chances that don’t make him or you very comfortable. That’s the price of doing business in the NFL these days.

If you don’t like it, you need to find another sport. Because it’s not changing.

St. Patty's Fire
02-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Well, considering he'd be their best player on either side of the ball, yeah. That team is desperate for talent, no doubt in my mind they'd lower their standards to bring in Hunt.

Rain Man
02-05-2019, 10:16 PM
It's kind of wrong that we would get no compensatory pick if another team signs him.

InChiefsHeaven
02-05-2019, 10:21 PM
It's kind of wrong that we would get no compensatory pick if another team signs him.

That's what happens when you cut a dude. It is what it is. It sucks, but it is what it is...

TribalElder
02-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Gonna be rough watching him go off next season for someone else

oh well PM2!

eDave
02-05-2019, 10:31 PM
This is good and bad. He gets to play again, but it's for the Lions.

Sure he's appreciative though.

GloryDayz
02-05-2019, 10:37 PM
I'm glad he's getting a second chance. What he did was stupid, VERY STUPID, but let's hope he's learned that you hire people to deal with such problems so that it doesn't get out of control like it did.

Pitt Gorilla
02-05-2019, 11:36 PM

Clark, literally, preferred to not get a pick for him.

Al Czervik
02-05-2019, 11:52 PM
I am thinking he wont play in 2019....
2020, more than likely.....

The NFL will punish him and I cant believe it will only be a few games.
Time will tell....

Willie Lanier
02-06-2019, 12:03 AM
I am thinking he wont play in 2019....
2020, more than likely.....

The NFL will punish him and I cant believe it will only be a few games.
Time will tell....

Unfortunately I tend to agree with you, he won't get a shot next year IMO

TribalElder
02-06-2019, 12:15 AM
nfl already suspended him 6 games I thought

K Hunts run where he hurdled the guy and still scored the TD was one of my fav chiefs runs ever

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IOdF85BlvIU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thought there were more donkeys getting dragged into the endzone ROFL

and this one at 48 seconds
https://youtu.be/7MADC1P4nmA?t=48

Redbled
02-06-2019, 12:21 AM
Keeping him and suspending him indefinitely or waiting till the league does then trading him would have been a better move I think. Getting nothing stinks.

Buehler445
02-06-2019, 01:02 AM
Gonna be rough watching him go off next season for someone else

oh well PM2!

Eh maybe. If the line sucks I bet he doesn’t go off.

With no structure who knows what kind of shape he’s keeping himself in.

There are a lot of variables to him going off.

He had a lot of good traits but he’s not a guy that can do it himself like Barry Sanders.

Why Not?
02-06-2019, 03:59 AM
Eh maybe. If the line sucks I bet he doesn’t go off.

With no structure who knows what kind of shape he’s keeping himself in.

There are a lot of variables to him going off.

He had a lot of good traits but he’s not a guy that can do it himself like Barry Sanders.

These are very good points. Hunt definitely could do some special things but he also had an MVP QB, an all pro TE and WR, a decent O line, and Andy Reid. Let’s see him do it with shitty Stafford, an up and coming WR(but still only the 5th best in the division), no TE and not even good, ol’ Jim Bob Cooter to call plays.

Angry fan
02-06-2019, 05:17 AM
Would be a good pairing. A young Matt Patricia rapes a young woman back in his college days and a young Kareem Hunt kicks a young woman while she's on the ground.

Dunerdr
02-06-2019, 07:16 AM
if he had to go anywhere id prefer him be a lion. out of the afc, the lions havent been shit ever, he will be good enough to have a career, another bellicheck cast off will keep him from contending with us in a superbowl.

KChiefs1
02-06-2019, 07:29 AM
if he had to go anywhere id prefer him be a lion. out of the afc, the lions havent been shit ever, he will be good enough to have a career, another bellicheck cast off will keep him from contending with us in a superbowl.

Better for everyone involved if he signs with the Lions than with the Raiders or Patriots.

baitism
02-06-2019, 07:34 AM
Cutting him was stupid. We could have suspended him for the rest of the year and no one would have gave a shit other than SJW's next season.

Rausch
02-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Keeping him and suspending him indefinitely or waiting till the league does then trading him would have been a better move I think. Getting nothing stinks.

I think his was the weakest and least severe of any assault case the NFL has had to deal with. This is the kind of thing the person seeks and maintains treatment for and moves on.

He was cut because he lied to the Coach, GM, owner, and entire organization. He ruined the trust there and made it impossible to know if his other two assault accusations were true or not.

How you handle a thing like this says a lot about you. You can admit you did wrong, apologize, and try to make up for it. You can also lie, attempt to cover it up, and continue to repeat the same bad behavior.

This is not an isolated event - Hunt has a history of this type of behavior. Whomever signs him will have to be willing to weigh the risk/reward of his history of bad decision making...

TLO
02-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Better for everyone involved if he signs with the Lions than with the Raiders or Patriots.

If he signed with the Patriots....

bowener
02-06-2019, 08:36 AM
He should go play for the new football league and wreck shit. He needs to sober his ass up, keep his head down, stop being a child, and show he can play football like a professional.

Reerun_KC
02-06-2019, 08:48 AM
Cutting him was stupid. We could have suspended him for the rest of the year and no one would have gave a shit other than SJW's next season.

Yep knee jerk reactions by the Clark’s. Cutting him lacked any sort of backbone or balls.

Rausch
02-06-2019, 09:03 AM
Yep knee jerk reactions by the Clark’s. Cutting him lacked any sort of backbone or balls.

I'd argue it was quite the opposite.

baitism
02-06-2019, 09:49 AM
I'd argue it was quite the opposite.

Cutting him was the easy way out. It appeased the media and the SJW hivemind. It was not what was best for the team.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Cutting him was the easy way out. It appeased the media and the SJW hivemind. It was not what was best for the team.

It absolutely was the best for the team. He's a head case and a liar. You don't want that anywhere near Mahomes.

TEX
02-06-2019, 10:12 AM
As more of these stories surface, it will be easier for a team to sign him because it gets the public used to the idea. I still wish the Chiefs would sign him and give him another chance. However, I can certainly understand why they wouldn't.

TEX
02-06-2019, 10:12 AM
It absolutely was the best for the team. He's a head case and a liar. You don't want that anywhere near Mahomes.

I get your point, but Mahomes is a big boy. He knows how to handle himself.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 10:18 AM
I get your point, but Mahomes is a big boy. He knows how to handle himself.

And when Hunt does something like this with Mahomes in his company? Somebody could have gotten hurt, even Hunt. You don't want Mahomes around anybody that resorts to physical violence every time things go bad. Hunt allegedly assaulted not one, not two, but THREE different people, in one offseason.

T-post Tom
02-06-2019, 11:36 AM
As more of these stories surface, it will be easier for a team to sign him because it gets the public used to the idea. I still wish the Chiefs would sign him and give him another chance. However, I can certainly understand why they wouldn't.

Chiefs will draft his ultimate replacement in 3rd or 4th round. Nothing against Williams or current RBs.

TEX
02-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Chiefs will draft his ultimate replacement in 3rd or 4th round. Nothing against Williams or current RBs.

I think you're right.

TEX
02-06-2019, 11:46 AM
And when Hunt does something like this with Mahomes in his company? Somebody could have gotten hurt, even Hunt. You don't want Mahomes around anybody that resorts to physical violence every time things go bad. Hunt allegedly assaulted not one, not two, but THREE different people, in one offseason.

So, you're saying that Mahomes should keep his helmet on when out with Hunt... Love it! Let's sign him. ;)

Pitt Gorilla
02-06-2019, 11:47 AM
It absolutely was the best for the team. He's a head case and a liar. You don't want that anywhere near Mahomes.Are you suggesting there are zero "head-cases" and/or "liars" on the team currently?

Hunt will be signed very quickly and will have a choice of teams/offers from which to choose. If the Clark could swallow his pride for a minute, the Chiefs should be one of those teams. We are clearly open to providing second chances.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Are you suggesting there are zero "head-cases" and/or "liars" on the team currently?

Hunt will be signed very quickly and will have a choice of teams/offers from which to choose. If the Clark could swallow his pride for a minute, the Chiefs should be one of those teams. We are clearly open to providing second chances.

None that we know of.

Let's not pretend the public nature of this has nothing to do with it.

If the Chiefs want to sign him back on, fine with me.

If they don't, I understand why. Again, fine with me.

I don't give one care about Kareem Hunt at this point. He made his own bed.

Pitt Gorilla
02-06-2019, 11:55 AM
None that we know of.

Let's not pretend the public nature of this has nothing to do with it.

If the Chiefs want to sign him back on, fine with me.

If they don't, I understand why. Again, fine with me.

I don't give one care about Kareem Hunt at this point. He made his own bed.He'd instantly be the best back on the Chiefs. The Chiefs have shown they are great with providing second chances. It seems like a no-brainer.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 12:01 PM
He'd instantly be the best back on the Chiefs. The Chiefs have shown they are great with providing second chances. It seems like a no-brainer.

He lied to the team. There'd have to be some serious improvement in his life for them to consider it. What has he been doing during this time? Going to rehab? Making himself better? Or sitting around waiting for the phone to ring?

It isn't as simple as "he'd instantly be the best back" on the team. They don't NEED him. He's a luxury they could possibly afford, if HE is up to it. Not them.

O.city
02-06-2019, 12:06 PM
The Chiefs gave him his second chance, and third, and fourth. Everytime they asked him about the incident, he lied.

It's not all about "just talent". Move on.

O.city
02-06-2019, 12:09 PM
There are literally 4 or 5 good running backs in every single draft class. Pick one in the 3rd round and move on.

Eleazar
02-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Running backs are a dime a dozen.

There's no need for Clark Hunt to come crawling back to someone who has had a litany of off-field incidents in a very short time and lied to his coach, owner, etc., about what happened. There's no reason to trust Kareem Hunt that it won't happen again. He clearly has issues, is facing a long suspension, and would be facing a very long suspension if he had another incident.

There's nothing wrong with a team having standards of character they expect players to abide by. There are plenty of good players out there who meet them. Everyone else can go play for the Raiders or Bengals. (Cause low character guys are working so well for those teams...)

HemiEd
02-06-2019, 12:41 PM
He'd instantly be the best back on the Chiefs. The Chiefs have shown they are great with providing second chances. It seems like a no-brainer.

Several of my Bears fan friends are salivating at the thought of signing him. I have one texting me often wanting more info and history on Hunt. I guess they are making a connection with Nagy.

bowener
02-06-2019, 12:47 PM
The Chiefs gave him his second chance, and third, and fourth. Everytime they asked him about the incident, he lied.

It's not all about "just talent". Move on.

Everybody seems to forget that he lied to them multiple times and was involved in multiple violent outbursts while drunk.

He is also a RB. They are easy to replace. Look at what Williams was able to do for fuck sake.

Hunt absolutely deserved to be kicked to the curb and humiliated by that act. It took a ton of balls to do that regardless of what some mouth breathers think. Keeping the stud and benching him is the bitch move.

And this absolutely is about Mahomes & The Chiefs, not just the player Mahomes. The Chiefs with Mahomes are the future of NFL marketing. They have to remain an upstanding team that has little to zero drama off the field.

Fuck KHunt. Fuck him for being a moron. Fuck him for being selfish. Fuck him for being an immature child still in diapers.

notorious
02-06-2019, 01:05 PM
RBs have always flourished in Reid’s offense.

Fuck Hunt. He threw away the perfect team to build a HOF career at.

Chiefs will be just fine without that piece of shit.

Kiimo
02-06-2019, 01:11 PM

You sound like a dick.

GloryDayz
02-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Are you suggesting there are zero "head-cases" and/or "liars" on the team currently?

We already had the league's ultimate headcase...

Pitt Gorilla
02-06-2019, 02:12 PM
What if Pat wants Hunt back?

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 02:13 PM

ROFL

Hydrae
02-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Pat would love to see his buddy Deiter at WR too. He doesn't have that kind of pull, thankfully.

stevieray
02-06-2019, 03:35 PM
He's going to play again.

Oh, what could have been.

Hopefully he will play in the NFC.

Dunerdr
02-07-2019, 04:01 PM
saw where veach said in his interview that nothing is absolute and theres a possibility of guys coming back who have paid there dues and got their shit together. not sure if he meant hunt coming back as a chief or hunt bein reinstated to the nfl.

edited: https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/07/kansas-city-chiefs-brett-veach-kareem-hunt-return-possible/