PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Food preservatives

HemiEd
02-06-2019, 09:31 AM
This has been bugging me for a while but I wanted to wait until the offseason to bring it up. I want to learn about what is going on from the brain trust here.

If you dial back a few years, we used to have "day old bread" stores because bread did not keep very well. Fresh bread being available was the norm and expected.

Now that Walmart is dominating the grocery industry, they have a big logistics issue. To my knowledge, there is no bakery in our immediate area, so Walmart it is.

However, I am extremely concerned about what they are having added to the bread products to extend the life of the product.

Last fall, I put two partial loaves of bread, and some hot dog buns that I use for my minnow trap in our boat locker.

Forgot about them until we had a nice day this week. When I opened the locker, the "Natures Own, whole wheat" had done as expected and was a green mess.

However, the "Natures Own, whole grain" was still looking good and fresh, no mold after 4 months. The cheap Walmart hot dog buns were the same way, looked as fresh as when purchased.

WTF?

What say you?

chinaski
02-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Better living through chemistry...

It's a big country, that's why a lot of foods are chocked full of preservatives to get them from one side of the country to the other. Take Europe for example, the distances are shorter and there are enough regional variations/tastes in food and drink that becomes less of a factor. Pasteurized cheese for example...it's less common across the pond.

As far as bread, you have to consider bleached/enriched flour along with the preservatives when thinking about spoilage. When flour is enriched, they are basically removing nutrients which not only makes it less healthy, it probably contributes to a longer shelf life as some of those organic materials are lost.

Storage/Temperature also plays a factor as well.

threebag
02-06-2019, 09:57 AM
We use a bread machine quite often. When they closed down hostess something happened to the bread around here. Never seemed fresh again.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Don't eat bread. Eat more protein and vegetables. Problem solved. :)

RunKC
02-06-2019, 10:23 AM
My dad has an Oster Breadmaking machine that he uses to make his own bread. Usually takes 3 hours to bake, but yeah it makes store bought bread taste like manufactured garbage.

He’s started making loaf’s of bread that have cinnamon, raisin and honey in it. It’s incredible .

threebag
02-06-2019, 10:26 AM
My dad has an Oster Breadmaking machine that he uses to make his own bread. Usually takes 3 hours to bake, but yeah it makes store bought bread taste like manufactured garbage.

He’s started making loaf’s of bread that have cinnamon, raisin and honey in it. It’s incredible .

Makes incredible French Toast

Fish
02-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Quite a few factors in play. Much of it environmental. Suffice to say you're not in any danger. Preservatives aren't necessarily bad for you just because they're preservatives. Not as nutritional for sure. But for stuff like bread it's not a big deal, there's little to no danger in normal consumption.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Quite a few factors in play. Much of it environmental. Suffice to say you're not in any danger. Preservatives aren't necessarily bad for you just because they're preservatives. Not as nutritional for sure. But for stuff like bread it's not a big deal.

The actual bread is worse for you. :)

Beef Supreme
02-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Preservatives will keep you looking young!

T-post Tom
02-06-2019, 11:27 AM
For about $6, you can buy this at WalMart:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d2da9349-c555-4096-bc54-f1ac9fa1e4a1_1.e200a63b9ae312fd6c3885d44a5cb9b5.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Simply Red
02-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Don't eat bread. Eat more protein and vegetables. Problem solved. :)

yip

HemiEd
02-06-2019, 11:47 AM

I have found that to be true with the veggies as well. I grew some cabbage and carrots last year that made me realize the store bought crap is pretty much tasteless.

For about $6, you can buy this at WalMart:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d2da9349-c555-4096-bc54-f1ac9fa1e4a1_1.e200a63b9ae312fd6c3885d44a5cb9b5.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Yeah, I have bought that before, but it is way too many calories. I eat a turkey sandwich every day for lunch and the Natures own whole wheat is pretty low.

HemiEd
02-06-2019, 11:48 AM
Quite a few factors in play. Much of it environmental. Suffice to say you're not in any danger. Preservatives aren't necessarily bad for you just because they're preservatives. Not as nutritional for sure. But for stuff like bread it's not a big deal, there's little to no danger in normal consumption.

That makes me feel better. Some of those 26 ingredients have some pretty long names. Thanks

Hammock Parties
02-06-2019, 11:49 AM
preservatives are delicious

just think, if they are preserving food that long, they are going to keep your body preserved even longer

we are all going to live to be 150

unless you are vegan

then you will die skinny at 70

Rain Man
02-06-2019, 12:27 PM

I've got an Ultimate Breadman machine, and I love it. I usually just make white or wheat, but I'll occasionally make something like cinnamon raisin, and it's awesome.

But I don't put preservatives in it, so it doesn't stay fresh for very long. It's a tradeoff given that it takes more effort to make it than to just buy bread at the store.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Part of the issue is the way bread is MADE in this country. When I lived in Germany, the bread was left out on the counter, in a basket not a bag, and kept forever. Bread needs to have a thick, hard crust to protect the inside. Americans seem to be focused on cutting off the crust so that the inside can be squished into a tiny, mushy ball.

HemiEd
02-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Part of the issue is the way bread is MADE in this country. When I lived in Germany, the bread was left out on the counter, in a basket not a bag, and kept forever. Bread needs to have a thick, hard crust to protect the inside. Americans seem to be focused on cutting off the crust so that the inside can be squished into a tiny, mushy ball.

That is a good point, hadn't thought of that. My wife and some of my grandkids remove the crust. It just makes me crazy for several reasons.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 12:42 PM
That is a good point, hadn't thought of that. My wife and some of my grandkids remove the crust. It just makes me crazy for several reasons.

I've been trying to limit carbs, especially processed carbs, for a long time so I don't eat a lot of bread. Fortunately, I never really want to because unless it's a hard baguette or focaccia or something, I just can't stand it. It's like eating a kitchen sponge or something.

My wife makes peasant bread once in a while. It only had like 5 ingredients and she bakes it in a mixing bowl so it comes out as a crispy, dome-shaped loaf. It keeps for 3 weeks or so and it actually tastes like bread to me.

T-post Tom
02-06-2019, 02:27 PM
I have found that to be true with the veggies as well. I grew some cabbage and carrots last year that made me realize the store bought crap is pretty much tasteless.

Yeah, I have bought that before, but it is way too many calories. I eat a turkey sandwich every day for lunch and the Natures own whole wheat is pretty low.

Yeah, but they're GOOD calories. :)

Mephistopheles Janx
02-06-2019, 02:48 PM
I quite literally make my own bread by hand. Usually every 5 days or so. I switch between Italian / French / and Sammich breads.

When I make the bread I usually whip up a batch of mayo to go with it. (surprising how easy it is to make mayo)

A 5lb bag of flour will make about 6 loaves of sammich bread and it costs $3 plus the yeast and other dry ingredients. No brainer.

Pitt Gorilla
02-06-2019, 03:00 PM
We get our bread at the gas station (Kwik Star) and it's always fresh.

threebag
02-06-2019, 03:31 PM
I quite literally make my own bread by hand. Usually every 5 days or so. I switch between Italian / French / and Sammich breads.

When I make the bread I usually whip up a batch of mayo to go with it. (surprising how easy it is to make mayo)

A 5lb bag of flour will make about 6 loaves of sammich bread and it costs $3 plus the yeast and other dry ingredients. No brainer.

I use King Arthur’s Bread Flour it make a difference.

scho63
02-06-2019, 03:51 PM
I believe that the more our citizens are ingesting all these chemicals and preservatives, the more damage we are doing and passing along fucked up DNA to our offspring that are weak.

There is nothing natural or good with about 90% of processed food.

htismaqe
02-06-2019, 03:51 PM
I believe that the more our citizens are ingesting all these chemicals and preservatives, the more damage we are doing and passing along fucked up DNA to our offspring that are weak.

Truth.

O.city
02-06-2019, 03:54 PM
Theoretically that bad fucked up DNA will be selected against anyway so survival of the fittest!!

Stewie
02-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Sheesh! Most of the ingredients in store-bought bread aren't "preservatives" or the like. It's to make a nice soft loaf. Otherwise, people would bitch to high heaven. Oh, wait....

Red Beans
02-06-2019, 05:00 PM
We rarely eat store bought bread. My wife makes all our loaves, hamburger buns, and a ton of other shit in the bread machine. It's awesome.

HemiEd
02-07-2019, 07:23 AM
We get our bread at the gas station (Kwik Star) and it's always fresh.I wonder if it is changed out daily by the bakery like the old days?

Yeah, but they're GOOD calories. :)

I hear ya, but it is not where I want to use my daily allotment.

I believe that the more our citizens are ingesting all these chemicals and preservatives, the more damage we are doing and passing along ****ed up DNA to our offspring that are weak.

Yeah, this is kind of my reason for the thread. All that crap has to end up in the liver if I am understanding correctly.

HemiEd
02-07-2019, 07:24 AM
We rarely eat store bought bread. My wife makes all our loaves, hamburger buns, and a ton of other shit in the bread machine. It's awesome.

Congratulations, you are very fortunate.