PDA

View Full Version : Life College scholarship(s) question

wutamess
02-07-2019, 07:07 PM
I'm very proud of my daughter. She's been offered a full ride scholarship as a freshman in HS to KSU for soccer. We're expecting to hear back from KU (ranked #20 in the nation) with the same offer a little after next week (their tournament in Houston).

Anyways, I'm wanting to know that if their athletic scholarship pays for everything, will any and all academic scholarship money go to her pocket?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
02-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Full-Ride. A full-ride scholarship is an award that covers the entire cost of college—including tuition, room and board, text books, school materials, and sometimes even living costs and study abroad fees.

Otter
02-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Well done Sir!

I'm sure her having such a great father played a large part in her good fortune.

Deberg_1990
02-07-2019, 07:16 PM
Full-Ride. A full-ride scholarship is an award that covers the entire cost of college—including tuition, room and board, text books, school materials, and sometimes even living costs and study abroad fees.

Pay the players!

TribalElder
02-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Drop out of school and start a scooter rental company

eDave
02-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Drop out of school and start a scooter rental company

Holy shit. I was in Tempe last weekend and they have, I dunno what you call them, maybe public scooters. Like the free bike thing.

Anyway, those things were all over and it was like gnat's. Someone is going to get killed on those things. It was nuts.

excessive
02-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Talk to the A.D., finance office, school counselor's, etc. (Not C.P.) Take notes of what they say. Eventually, they'll put it in writing. Read the small print, and ask questions. "Full ride" might mean something totally different depending upon the school and situation.

vailpass
02-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Talk with your attorney. See who he recommends you work with on this.

eDave
02-07-2019, 07:42 PM
I can't imagine they put money in her pocket. Just give her free everything.

Wonder if that covers eating on campus.

displacedinMN
02-07-2019, 07:47 PM
I can't imagine they put money in her pocket. Just give her free everything.

Wonder if that covers eating on campus.

Some schools have an athletes kitchen. She should have access to that.

wutamess
02-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Talk to the A.D., finance office, school counselor's, etc. (Not C.P.) Take notes of what they say. Eventually, they'll put it in writing. Read the small print, and ask questions. "Full ride" might mean something totally different depending upon the school and situation.

I specifically asked him what does that mean since we have an older daughter on a partial volleyball scholarship. He specifically said, She won't have to pay for anything and we can probably put some money in her pocket with academic scholarships. I'm trying to figure how far this can go monetarily.

Infidel Goat
02-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Some outside scholarship organizations will have explicit rules that prevent any overage beyond the estimated cost of attendance.

Many colleges will also have rules prevent the same overage.

Your best hope is that the outside scholarship organizations write the check directly to your daughter and don't include the school's name on it. If the school's name is on it, my guess is that it will not result in additional money for your daughter but will help the school that was generous with your daughter.

You could check the Financial Aid office website for both schools to see if they spell out their specific policy. They should do so.

Lzen
02-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Holy shit. I was in Tempe last weekend and they have, I dunno what you call them, maybe public scooters. Like the free bike thing.

Anyway, those things were all over and it was like gnat's. Someone is going to get killed on those things. It was nuts.

They have those down in the P&L district in KC.

Lzen
02-08-2019, 09:46 AM
Congrats, roger! You should be proud. Sounds like you raised some good people. :thumb:

wutamess
02-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Congrats, roger! You should be proud. Sounds like you raised some good people. :thumb:

It's all the mom. I gave her the athleticism. The mom gave her the brains. Thanks anways!

We're very excited for her. She's so nonchalant about it all. Says she wants to make a decision by April before the new recruiting rule becomes law and then she'll have to wait until her Junior year. Two of her teammates (one 8th grade other freshman) got offered as well to KSU. They accepted.